Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The cost of Christmas

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Every year on the news there's one story of a parent buying 300 presents and spending thousands of pounds on presents.

What's your guesstimated spend on Christmas presents ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

What my budget can afford really -For immediate family, that would be no more than a 15th of my monthly salary (and that much would most likely go to the kids) -depreciating down from there). I don't buy presents for anyone other than children, a current partner and my parents -everyone else can join me for a drink or two if they want.

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

So far im at £3000 for my son and total around £4500 but that's coz I got nothing when I was a kid so give him what I can

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

"So far im at £3000 for my son and total around £4500 but that's coz I got nothing when I was a kid so give him what I can "

Yep -that will teach him to respect the value of things all right!

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"So far im at £3000 for my son and total around £4500 but that's coz I got nothing when I was a kid so give him what I can "

He's a very lucky son.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Humbug!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Probably less than £100. If I had it to spend I would splash out though I don't begrudge those who can and do ho ho ho

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Blimey I thought I was bad at £300 each on mine!!

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"So far im at £3000 for my son and total around £4500 but that's coz I got nothing when I was a kid so give him what I can

Yep -that will teach him to respect the value of things all right!"

That was an unnecessary comment on the posters parental responsibilities.

You spend what you want, you asked for input. The comment was unwarrented

over a year ago

"So far im at £3000 for my son and total around £4500 but that's coz I got nothing when I was a kid so give him what I can

Blimey I thought I was bad at £300 each on mine!! "

That's my limit on mine too Nora

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

£300 is the budget for each of my 3 kids but it doesn't go very far when they want trainers, x box games etc!

over a year ago

1200ish

over a year ago

Blimey I thought I was bad at £300 each on mine!!

That's my limit on mine too Nora"

It’s just sticking to it that’s the problem!

over a year ago

About £500 each on my sons, and about £300 on my daughter. X

By *aucy sausageMan
over a year ago

Gentleshaw

For my two kids, 200 each (i say kids they are 21/23) and 100 each on my parents.

20 quid each for my teenage nephew and niece

So 550 ish in total

over a year ago

You spend what you want, you asked for input. The comment was unwarrented"

Absolutely!

We spend thousands at Christmas, we have 4 kids.

Our kids are incredibly understanding that we both work full time and they miss out on things like holidays as we just aren't able to coordinate the same time off work/school.

They also accept that there are times that either one of us are unable to make school concerts, plays, recitals etc and never make a fuss about it.

They wholeheartedly deserve to be spoilt at Christmas time and we are thankful that we are in a fortunate position to be able to do it, they are always grateful for the small things as well as the more luxurious and we have brought them up to be appreciative of everything, regardless if it cost £1 or £1000.

I will never apologise for spoiling my brood at crimbo, they're lush x

over a year ago

Absolutely!

Our kids are incredibly understanding that we both work full time and they miss out on things like holidays as we just aren't able to coordinate the same time off work/school.

They also accept that there are times that either one of us are unable to make school concerts, plays, recitals etc and never make a fuss about it.

They wholeheartedly deserve to be spoilt at Christmas time and we are thankful that we are in a fortunate position to be able to do it, they are always grateful for the small things as well as the more luxurious and we have brought them up to be appreciative of everything, regardless if it cost £1 or £1000.

I will never apologise for spoiling my brood at crimbo, they're lush x "

Damn right

over a year ago

Absolutely!

Damn right "

I always am lol x

over a year ago

Agree with what others say : spend what you want on your loved ones at Christmas assuming that you can afford it!

It’s when people overstretch themselves that things get worrying.

Me and Mrs B have agreed to keep things reasonable this year and rather ensure that we have nice holidays or trips out to the Theatre etc later in the year.

Relatives are capped at around £40 - £50 each. We save monthly throughout year to cover the cost of Christmas.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

It’s all relative. If you can afford it spend it.

If I had children I would do the same.

over a year ago

Absolutely!

Damn right

I always am lol x"

Of course. You’re obviously the female half of the couple I presume

over a year ago

We have a limit of £75 each. Be it 75 £1 presents or one at £75...forces us to think outside the box. eBay, and charity shops are not off limits for an old book or a hard to find cd.

over a year ago

Absolutely!

Damn right

I always am lol x

Of course. You’re obviously the female half of the couple I presume "

You presume correctly

over a year ago

About £100 each child. They don't ask for much and we have managed to get away without falling into any of the must have brands and items. Being a tech phobe has it uses

By *rated-BaconMan
over a year ago

medway

A big fat zero for moi

By *roticGoddessXXWoman
over a year ago

Richmond

I'm rather a minimalist, and the issue of gifts is complicated for me. Ex used to overload us all with thousands of ££ in gifts throughout the year, thinking that made up for him being an utter ass the rest of the time.

I don't do Christmas, much. It's more about spending time with people. I generally give each of my kids a small amount of money, and then plan something fun to do with them while they are home from Uni.

Last year, I got my partner an empty box as a gift. He carries it with him everywhere, to this day.

Though lots of gifts is exciting, in general I found that for the most part my kids just wanted time and love.

I find it ridiculous that people spend so much on anything to "show their love."

Then again, just my opinion on it.

Some people see gifts as a sign of love, others feel loved by other things.

Do what you like, who cares, as long as you're happy.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm rather a minimalist, and the issue of gifts is complicated for me. Ex used to overload us all with thousands of ££ in gifts throughout the year, thinking that made up for him being an utter ass the rest of the time.

I don't do Christmas, much. It's more about spending time with people. I generally give each of my kids a small amount of money, and then plan something fun to do with them while they are home from Uni.

Last year, I got my partner an empty box as a gift. He carries it with him everywhere, to this day.

Though lots of gifts is exciting, in general I found that for the most part my kids just wanted time and love.

I find it ridiculous that people spend so much on anything to "show their love."

Do what you like, who cares, as long as you're happy."

I know exactly what you mean! To me the most valuable gift is time and attention.

over a year ago

About £300 each, can easily spend more with the cost of games etc but there needs to be a limit

By *picknspanMan
over a year ago

North West Leeds

What people would be wiser to understand is that it is not the amount of money you spend on your children at Christmas (or any other time for that matter) that is important but the amount of time you spend on them.

You give anyone any material or monetary value but the most valuable thing you have at your disposal is time. Given willingly and productively it will be the best thing you can ever give!

Perhaps then we will cease to generate an unholy rabble of materialistic spoilt degenerative people in the future.....

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

"What people would be wiser to understand is that it is not the amount of money you spend on your children at Christmas (or any other time for that matter) that is important but the amount of time you spend on them.

You give anyone any material or monetary value but the most valuable thing you have at your disposal is time. Given willingly and productively it will be the best thing you can ever give!

Perhaps then we will cease to generate an unholy rabble of materialistic spoilt degenerative people in the future.....

"

Yes I spend what people may seem a lot on my son but also spend all my time with him and he does no the value of money aswell as appreciate what he gets without people knowing someone and how they live then its all just blind opinions

over a year ago

"Agree with what others say : spend what you want on your loved ones at Christmas assuming that you can afford it!

It’s when people overstretch themselves that things get worrying.

Me and Mrs B have agreed to keep things reasonable this year and rather ensure that we have nice holidays or trips out to the Theatre etc later in the year.

Relatives are capped at around £40 - £50 each. We save monthly throughout year to cover the cost of Christmas. "

300 per child for us ,

By *picknspanMan
over a year ago

North West Leeds

"What people would be wiser to understand is that it is not the amount of money you spend on your children at Christmas (or any other time for that matter) that is important but the amount of time you spend on them.

Yes I spend what people may seem a lot on my son but also spend all my time with him and he does no the value of money aswell as appreciate what he gets without people knowing someone and how they live then its all just blind opinions "

Defensive

Blind opinions as you term them are all that can be given here. We are not privy to full back ground history on any subject, if we were then this would not be a forum but a consulting room in a psychology institution.

If you give your son your time and spend what ever amount you choose then it is your business but when you 'bandy' it about on a forum expect some other thoughts!!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"About £500 each on my sons, and about £300 on my daughter. X "

Why does your daughter get less than your sons ?

over a year ago

"

Thanks for that . We had no idea. Should have thought of that before then I wouldn’t have a rabble of materialistic spoilt degenerative children . Damn

over a year ago

Hold up.... I was lucky enough to grow up receiving very lavish gifts but I was brought up to appreciate every single thing that was under that tree. My folks didn't get much as kids and they worked hard to get to a position where they were very comfortable.

Even now as an adult my parents still spoil me as if I was a child at Christmas and birthdays. It's not something I have ever expected from them and each year I appreciate every single thing they do for me.

By *iss tastyWoman
over a year ago

Blackpool

£60 between my two

By *picknspanMan
over a year ago

North West Leeds

Thanks for that . We had no idea. Should have thought of that before then I wouldn’t have a rabble of materialistic spoilt degenerative children . Damn "

Happy to be of service

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

Struggling to folllow your logic here -since when is commenting unwarranted on a public forum?

over a year ago

My nerd has a round £500 from me for Christmas. He understands the value of every single penny spent on him

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Zero. Wait for sales.

over a year ago

How do you know he doesn't.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

How do you know he doesn't."

You said doesn't didn't ya -I just said yep!

over a year ago

"

What's your guesstimated spend on Christmas presents ?"

One million dollars.

*one for the film nerds.

over a year ago

"About £500 each on my sons, and about £300 on my daughter. X

Why does your daughter get less than your sons ?"

Because my sons get what they want out of their own money. I have to pay for my daughter myself plus she doesn’t want the same things anymore. X

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Struggling to folllow your logic here -since when is commenting unwarranted on a public forum?"

You make basic assumptions about the posters child and his parental duties. If you intended to comment in a negative way that makes a huge assumptive leap then job done.

This isn't the first time that you've made negative comments about Christmas presents either. Try being a little less bitter

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

Struggling to folllow your logic here -since when is commenting unwarranted on a public forum?

You make basic assumptions about the posters child and his parental duties. If you intended to comment in a negative way that makes a huge assumptive leap then job done.

This isn't the first time that you've made negative comments about Christmas presents either. Try being a little less bitter"

I'm making no such assumptions -the question I am posing is: is this the best way to teach them the value of money -I have no way of knowing whether they have already learnt this lesson or not, and even if they have learnt said lesson, is this really reinforcing said lesson?

over a year ago

The problem is pressure to provide presents. Some people will get heavily into debt and even take payday loans. It can easily spiral out of control.

That’s the side of Christmas I dislike.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

This isn't the first time that you've made negative comments about Christmas presents either. Try being a little less bitter

I'm making no such assumptions -the question I am posing is: is this the best way to teach them the value of money -I have no way of knowing whether they have already learnt this lesson or not, and even if they have learnt said lesson, is this really reinforcing said lesson?"

What suggestions do you have for teaching the value of money?

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

People should do what suits their budget. I would never get into debt for Christmas. I plan and I save and I spread the cost by buying at different times of the year.

I tend to buy what I think my family might like or what they have put in their letter to Santa. I like to give, I like to see their faces but there is so much more to Christmas than just spending money on people

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The problem is pressure to provide presents. Some people will get heavily into debt and even take payday loans. It can easily spiral out of control.

That’s the side of Christmas I dislike. "

There is a certain amount of pressure from commercials etc. We've never given in to it but when our kids were small it was difficult. We spend very little on Christmas nowadays as I said, less than £100, some people spend that on booze

over a year ago

"

What's your guesstimated spend on Christmas presents ?

One million dollars.

*one for the film nerds. "

Austin powers

over a year ago

I'm a single parent and my kids get what I can afford. If their dad paid some maintenance once in a while they'd get alot more.

This year my two eldest have had £400 each, I'm good at getting bargains and never pay full price for anything unless it's something they really want. £400 doesn't go very far but they both understand the value of money and are grateful for all they get.

The little one hasn't had as much money wise but she's five and doesn't need alot so I'm not wasting my money on things that will just sit in a toybox. If people want to spoil kids that's their business, leave them be.

over a year ago

"I'm rather a minimalist, and the issue of gifts is complicated for me. Ex used to overload us all with thousands of ££ in gifts throughout the year, thinking that made up for him being an utter ass the rest of the time.

over a year ago

Christmas spend on all the people I buy for: £230. That's the total, not each.

over a year ago

Most on my mum.

Rest Poundland

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

I'm pretty good at finding things Mrs fgos likes but never knew she needed, me I'm impossible as I've a birthday just before Christmas also...

A few hundred quid is what we choose to spend.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

I'm making no such assumptions -the question I am posing is: is this the best way to teach them the value of money -I have no way of knowing whether they have already learnt this lesson or not, and even if they have learnt said lesson, is this really reinforcing said lesson?

What suggestions do you have for teaching the value of money?"

Make them actually do the hard grft to earn it for a start -that amount is equivalent to an average professionals pre tax salary -does anyone ever really need that much cash given to them just because some bloke popped up in a stable 2000 years ago?

over a year ago

What intrigues me is ... are you all Christians? All this celebrating Christmas? Saying that though it was the Victorians that actually invented Christmas as we celebrate it now

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I usually aim for about £150 on each child then probably put another £15 of bits and bobs in their stockings. I spend about £15-20 on each parent. I don't know what I've spent on my bf's stuff as it's a bit of a box of random bits but nothing was terribly expensive.

I will admit to spending WAY more on the kids this year though. Their main present is a surprise trip to Barcelona for a couple of days in February. I have only been able to do this due to being left some money by my aunt who passed away in March. On top of that we've had a pretty shit year with many downs and few ups. As my aunt loved to travel it seemed a fitting tribute to her and a good opportunity for the kids. I spent some time agonising over spending the money but I know what would happen otherwise, twenty quid here and there for something and nothing and it would soon be gone anyway.

So it was about £180 for the flights, £150 hotel plus spending money. I've wrapped this surprise trip up in a little wheely case each which is numbered 1...the case has 6 things in it that are numbered and each one gives them more of a clue about where we are going, one of them is a fake plane ticket, another is a Barcelona guidebook. I can't wait to see them opening it

over a year ago

zero , i dont do christmas, never ever have done.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Wow, what did you buy?

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

What suggestions do you have for teaching the value of money?

Make them actually do the hard grft to earn it for a start -that amount is equivalent to an average professionals pre tax salary -does anyone ever really need that much cash given to them just because some bloke popped up in a stable 2000 years ago?"

How would you do that with a 2/3 year old?

Is it the amount that you have trouble with?

over a year ago

I’m £2000 down for flights home so can’t really spend too much... probably another £500 in total... perfume and alcohol type gifts I reckon

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Every year on the news there's one story of a parent buying 300 presents and spending thousands of pounds on presents.

What's your guesstimated spend on Christmas presents ?"

Not a huge amount going by what some people seem to be spending.

Between ourselves, as we normally just buy what we want through the year if we needed/wanted something then we always go for silly presents to each other, some of which could cost buttons

over a year ago

"What intrigues me is ... are you all Christians? All this celebrating Christmas? Saying that though it was the Victorians that actually invented Christmas as we celebrate it now "

No I’m not. Christmas time to me is time off work, spending quality time with family and friends, lots of drink, lots of foods, lots of nights out, lots of presents and laughter and a bloomin good week or so.

over a year ago

Time spent together, most important x

over a year ago

If you include the £10 secret Santa gift at work, ermmm, about a tenner.

P

over a year ago

"What intrigues me is ... are you all Christians? All this celebrating Christmas? Saying that though it was the Victorians that actually invented Christmas as we celebrate it now

No I’m not. Christmas time to me is time off work, spending quality time with family and friends, lots of drink, lots of foods, lots of nights out, lots of presents and laughter and a bloomin good week or so. "

But you celebrate Christmas? Lol

By *hubnwife_36dd_ukCouple
over a year ago

chester

Totally warranted in an age of food bank use!

"I give him what I can!"...as if £3,000 was a stretch!

FFS there are hundreds (possibly thousands) of families in this country whose continued habitation in their current home is threatened by not having a few tens of pounds and somebody defends a post epitomising spending for spending's sake.

You're daft enough to spend oudles on your kids to make up for you're own impoverished childhood don't be surprised when people slap it down.

Commercialisation of our lives is already running amock without putting up banners about "How big my spend is".

Maybe if we focussed more on what a Christian Christmas is about we'd all be a bit happier.

Note I'm referring to a Christian Christmas, not some feast of ancient fertility/crop growing etc before the pre history lot kick in.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes I spend what people may seem a lot on my son but also spend all my time with him and he does no the value of money aswell as appreciate what he gets without people knowing someone and how they live then its all just blind opinions

Defensive

Blind opinions as you term them are all that can be given here. We are not privy to full back ground history on any subject, if we were then this would not be a forum but a consulting room in a psychology institution.

If you give your son your time and spend what ever amount you choose then it is your business but when you 'bandy' it about on a forum expect some other thoughts!!

"

But that was the question in the OP, he's just answering that question

over a year ago

"What intrigues me is ... are you all Christians? All this celebrating Christmas? Saying that though it was the Victorians that actually invented Christmas as we celebrate it now

No I’m not. Christmas time to me is time off work, spending quality time with family and friends, lots of drink, lots of foods, lots of nights out, lots of presents and laughter and a bloomin good week or so.

But you celebrate Christmas? Lol"

Not in a religious way really. I love a carol service and all the Christmassy things but no I’m not religious. To me Christmas is the whole of December, fun with friends and family etc. You think everyone having time off and Xmas parties etc is religious?

By *hubnwife_36dd_ukCouple
over a year ago

chester

"If you include the £10 secret Santa gift at work, ermmm, about a tenner.

P"

Your lot have been sucked into that American game too I see.

All works rather well to increase the spend over the next few years if you multiply the numbers of workers by £10 each and many of those £10 gifts will be unwanted/gimmicks/trash.

over a year ago

Not in a religious way really. I love a carol service and all the Christmassy things but no I’m not religious. To me Christmas is the whole of December, fun with friends and family etc. You think everyone having time off and Xmas parties etc is religious? "

No but always have wondered why everyone celebrates a religious festival but they aren't religious! Thought I'd ask ...

over a year ago

Wanna adopt me? I promise to tidy my room

over a year ago

Not in a religious way really. I love a carol service and all the Christmassy things but no I’m not religious. To me Christmas is the whole of December, fun with friends and family etc. You think everyone having time off and Xmas parties etc is religious?

No but always have wondered why everyone celebrates a religious festival but they aren't religious! Thought I'd ask ... "

No worries

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

FFS there are hundreds (possibly thousands) of families in this country whose continued habitation in their current home is threatened by not having a few tens of pounds and somebody defends a post epitomising spending for spending's sake.

You're daft enough to spend oudles on your kids to make up for you're own impoverished childhood don't be surprised when people slap it down.

Commercialisation of our lives is already running amock without putting up banners about "How big my spend is".

Maybe if we focussed more on what a Christian Christmas is about we'd all be a bit happier.

Note I'm referring to a Christian Christmas, not some feast of ancient fertility/crop growing etc before the pre history lot kick in."

Thats your take, fair enough, but it's a bit rich (pun intended) to be critic into how other wish to celebrate or life their lives, you can't take it with you. Good luck to them and enjoy the memories of a special occasion.

over a year ago

£250 on my boy this year. It was supposed to be £400 but that’s another story. I’ll be honest it hardly looks like anything once wrapped but I know he will appreciate every single gift. Boys are so expensive with their brands compared to girls

over a year ago

No but always have wondered why everyone celebrates a religious festival but they aren't religious! Thought I'd ask ... "

Surely it's just an excuse for time off and a piss up. I don't know anyone that 'celebrates' Christmas in a religious way.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Note I'm referring to a Christian Christmas, not some feast of ancient fertility/crop growing etc before the pre history lot kick in.

Thats your take, fair enough, but it's a bit rich (pun intended) to be critic into how other wish to celebrate or life their lives, you can't take it with you. Good luck to them and enjoy the memories of a special occasion. "

Exactly this. I don't have two pennies to rub together and I struggle to make ends meet but I certainly don't resent or criticise people for earning a high wage or spending that money how they see fit.

It's not the posters fault that there is poverty nor that some have less, what would you do, take his hard earned money?

over a year ago

£1600. Atm say £100 on stockings and I'm done that's for 2 kiddies.

over a year ago

God knows i haven't really added it up probably in total £1000 but not an exact clue but not more than I can afford so no probs really.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"£300 is the budget for each of my 3 kids but it doesn't go very far when they want trainers, x box games etc!"

Same here, I've stuck close to it with the youngest but probably closer to £500 with my eldest

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Zero. I don't buy anything. Wife does the shopping

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Now that the kids are grown up it is a lot less than it ever was. Just a few bits and pieces for them.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"About £500 each on my sons, and about £300 on my daughter. X

Why does your daughter get less than your sons ?

Because my sons get what they want out of their own money. I have to pay for my daughter myself plus she doesn’t want the same things anymore. X "

I don't understand your answer. How is your sons getting what they want out of their own money a present from you ?

Post new Message to Thread