Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The virginia school shooting.

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Who else was shocked to hear that a 6 year old had shoot a teacher in a school in virgina today? I was as I turned on the news, the good news is, is that the teacher seem to be recovering, do you think it was planned and what do you think about it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The only thing that shocked me about that incident was the age of the kid involved. That aside, nothing surprises me when it come to Americans and guns anymore.

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle??

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The only thing that shocked me about that incident was the age of the kid involved. That aside, nothing surprises me when it come to Americans and guns anymore.

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? "

Heard part of a program on Radio 4 a few weeks ago. They were saying the NRA actually give politicians a rating from 1 to 10 on how pro or against current gun laws they are.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Literally nothing shocks me when it comes to shootings in America. I was saddened but not at all surprised to see a child this young deliberately use a firearm

over a year ago

"The only thing that shocked me about that incident was the age of the kid involved. That aside, nothing surprises me when it come to Americans and guns anymore.

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle??

Heard part of a program on Radio 4 a few weeks ago. They were saying the NRA actually give politicians a rating from 1 to 10 on how pro or against current gun laws they are. "

That really wouldn't surprise me. The NRA finance a fair of policitians' campaigns over there; they hold way too much sway over too many people. Problem is, even if they did somehow manage to tighten up their laws, there are already too many guns out there for it to have any sort of short-term impact.

The guns in themselves are not the only issue for most Americans though - it's the mindset and the character of some of the people who carry them. How do you change that? How do you get the guns out of the hands of the people who most definitely shouldn't have them? I'd have no idea where to even start with that one

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I watched something recently say that the anti gun lobby should join the NRA. If there’s 2 million pro gun members and 3 million anti gun members, they’ll out vote the pro vote every time. Eventually get an anti gun member as the President, then bye bye the NRA.

A sort of Trojan horse move.

over a year ago

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? "

was a assault rifle used ? No it wasn't. A six year old carrying a long gun would be noticed. You don't even know what a assault rifle is.

over a year ago

If it happened in Scotland there would be a very lenient sentence

Scottish government has instructed judges that anyone under the age of 25 should not go to jail as their brain has not fully developed

Nevermind a 6 year old.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"If it happened in Scotland there would be a very lenient sentence

Scottish government has instructed judges that anyone under the age of 25 should not go to jail as their brain has not fully developed

Nevermind a 6 year old."

They haven't advised that at all

over a year ago

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? was a assault rifle used ? No it wasn't. A six year old carrying a long gun would be noticed. You don't even know what a assault rifle is. "

You read the bit in my post where I said I was fully aware that this particular incident involved a handgun right.....?

over a year ago

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? was a assault rifle used ? No it wasn't. A six year old carrying a long gun would be noticed. You don't even know what a assault rifle is.

You read the bit in my post where I said I was fully aware that this particular incident involved a handgun right.....?"

define your idea of assault rifle.

over a year ago

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? was a assault rifle used ? No it wasn't. A six year old carrying a long gun would be noticed. You don't even know what a assault rifle is.

You read the bit in my post where I said I was fully aware that this particular incident involved a handgun right.....? define your idea of assault rifle. "

in all seriousness handguns are the prevalent weapon of choice . yet nothing is said.

over a year ago

An assault rifle is,

a weapon the military generally uses and has “select fire capabilities,” or the capability to switch between semi-automatic or a fully automatic mode

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic

over a year ago

You read the bit in my post where I said I was fully aware that this particular incident involved a handgun right.....? define your idea of assault rifle. "

Ok, I'll bite. It's a firearm with a detachable mag and which has selective fire - that can switch between semi- and full-automatic.

Guessing from your location and your attempted trolling comments that you're pro-gun

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I have to say I am no longer shocked by anything that happens in the US.

Saddened? Yes.

Shocked? Shootings happen too often to be a shock.

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

a weapon the military generally uses and has “select fire capabilities,” or the capability to switch between semi-automatic or a fully automatic mode

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic "

lol you can't buy full auto here either.

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic lol you can't buy full auto here either."

without a federal license. The ones sold generally are semi.

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic lol you can't buy full auto here either."

I never said you could

In saying that, someone with knowledge can change a semi auto into full auto.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Just googled 4 year shot.....

Was not surprised that a 2 year old, had accidentally shot and killed the childs mum.

4 year old had shot and killed itself, isn't the freedom to carry firearms brilliant.

So in answer to your question, not surprised at all.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Who cares about them having assault rifles, they can legally .50 sniper rifle. The person can shoot and kill you at over a mile away, you wouldn't even see the shooter. In addition to that, anything like body armor, brick walls and such like won't stop the round.

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic lol you can't buy full auto here either.

I never said you could

In saying that, someone with knowledge can change a semi auto into full auto."

They can but how prevalent is that knowledge.Handguns are a major issue over assault rifles. I have a 5.56 AR also I use a AR style shotgun for competitions. You know the scary black guns. Yet if I roll with my benelli shotgun that carries the same amount of ammo that is perfectly acceptable because it is not a AR style platform both semi auto. Same functions different ergonomics. Ban ARs yet others are still high capacity and are ignored. Media scaremongering.

over a year ago

Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.

over a year ago

Who cares about them having assault rifles, they can legally .50 sniper rifle. The person can shoot and kill you at over a mile away, you wouldn't even see the shooter. In addition to that, anything like body armor, brick walls and such like won't stop the round."

Yet it never happened. .50 has been out longer then the AR.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/01/23 22:01:03]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Yes, nothing with change as the nra is part of the problem. I wonder what would happen if only the military and the police could have weapons?

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Who cares about them having assault rifles, they can legally .50 sniper rifle. The person can shoot and kill you at over a mile away, you wouldn't even see the shooter. In addition to that, anything like body armor, brick walls and such like won't stop the round."

You can own a .50 rifle in the UK...

By *iberius61Man
over a year ago

Pontefract

Normally their reasoning is that the best way to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun. Not entirely sure how that works here. Many Americanites want to arm the school teachers with guns I hear, that might work here perhaps? A gun battle in the classroom?

over a year ago

"Just googled 4 year shot.....

Was not surprised that a 2 year old, had accidentally shot and killed the childs mum.

4 year old had shot and killed itself, isn't the freedom to carry firearms brilliant.

So in answer to your question, not surprised at all."

over a year ago

"I watched something recently say that the anti gun lobby should join the NRA. If there’s 2 million pro gun members and 3 million anti gun members, they’ll out vote the pro vote every time. Eventually get an anti gun member as the President, then bye bye the NRA.

A sort of Trojan horse move. "

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns."

I’ve never felt the need to leave my house with a gun of any kind

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

Note that an AR-15 of which we can buy here in the UK is not an assault weapon as it is only semi - automatic lol you can't buy full auto here either.

I never said you could

In saying that, someone with knowledge can change a semi auto into full auto. They can but how prevalent is that knowledge.Handguns are a major issue over assault rifles. I have a 5.56 AR also I use a AR style shotgun for competitions. You know the scary black guns. Yet if I roll with my benelli shotgun that carries the same amount of ammo that is perfectly acceptable because it is not a AR style platform both semi auto. Same functions different ergonomics. Ban ARs yet others are still high capacity and are ignored. Media scaremongering.

"

Yes we have AR shotguns here in the UK too, the Benelli M2 9 shot is far better than any AR as the AR shotguns have a lot of jamming issues on practical shoots.

I have the Benelli M2 and it out performs most, or perhaps im just a better shot.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Literally nothing shocks me when it comes to shootings in America. I was saddened but not at all surprised to see a child this young deliberately use a firearm"
Yes, same here, more saddened of what happened, it happens often there.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Who else was shocked to hear that a 6 year old had shoot a teacher in a school in virgina today? I was as I turned on the news, the good news is, is that the teacher seem to be recovering, do you think it was planned and what do you think about it?"
premeditated yes the child took the gun from home how the hell she was able to do this who knows but luckily the teacher lives how do you punish this crime one wonders

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns."

Ban all guns I say.

How the fuck did that six year old get hold of it in the first place??

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.

Ban all guns I say.

How the fuck did that six year old get hold of it in the first place?? "

Bad parenting

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.

Ban all guns I say.

Bad parenting"

The parents should be charged.

over a year ago

Ban all guns I say.

Bad parenting

The parents should be charged."

I agree.

over a year ago

Ban all guns I say.

How the fuck did that six year old get hold of it in the first place?? Bad parenting"

That I agree with, but if it were not for guns being legal then the gun wouldn't be left around for the child to find.

over a year ago

Ban all guns I say.

Bad parenting

The parents should be charged."

I hope they are

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Not shour why guns get a bad rep and not people

"

If there were no legal guns, 99.9% of shootings WOULD stop. Yes, there are other weapons, but very few that can do so much damage in a fraction of a second. They can be used at distance, giving zero opportunity for self defence, and are often involved in accidental deaths.

It seems ludicrous to allow guns to be so readily available in a first world country.

Cal

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Ban all guns you can't kill if you dont have one, too late for America now mind

over a year ago

"

Not shour why guns get a bad rep and not people

If there were no legal guns, 99.9% of shootings WOULD stop. Yes, there are other weapons, but very few that can do so much damage in a fraction of a second. They can be used at distance, giving zero opportunity for self defence, and are often involved in accidental deaths.

It seems ludicrous to allow guns to be so readily available in a first world country.

Cal"

Exactly, nobody should feel the need to carry a gun, unbelievable that you can walk into a supermarket and buy one

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.Ban all guns you can't kill if you dont have one, too late for America now mind "

Kids in schools with guns is becoming a recurrent theme, yet the lessons are never learned

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.Ban all guns you can't kill if you dont have one, too late for America now mind

Kids in schools with guns is becoming a recurrent theme, yet the lessons are never learned "

how can they stop it though 330 million people in America and almost every household has at least 2 guns

over a year ago

"Banning handguns the more logical choice.I carry one because if I waltz out of my house with my AR people lose their minds. Yet my G-19 is accepted. Ban handguns.Ban all guns you can't kill if you dont have one, too late for America now mind

Kids in schools with guns is becoming a recurrent theme, yet the lessons are never learned how can they stop it though 330 million people in America and almost every household has at least 2 guns "

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Kids in schools with guns is becoming a recurrent theme, yet the lessons are never learned how can they stop it though 330 million people in America and almost every household has at least 2 guns

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned"

well true but theyll make excuses for it, the parents will be punished the child will be homeschooled

over a year ago

Kids in schools with guns is becoming a recurrent theme, yet the lessons are never learned how can they stop it though 330 million people in America and almost every household has at least 2 guns

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learnedwell true but theyll make excuses for it, the parents will be punished the child will be homeschooled "

Yep, they always find a way to justify it

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

Several years ago I got into a Facebook friend of a friend exchange. The guy was an ex marine and thought ‘you brits were retards’ for not having the right to bear arms, ‘cos when your government comes for you, you got no defence.’

The exchange was quite heated when a few other Brit’s joined in. Pointing out the stupidity of his ‘the only way to beat a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun shoot him - was pretty pointless exercise.

So no, a six year with a gun shooting a teacher in a US school doesn’t surprise one little bit!

over a year ago

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned"

Hence why the parents should be charged not the child. Anyway you look at the situation. The parents are at fault.

over a year ago

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned Hence why the parents should be charged not the child. Anyway you look at the situation. The parents are at fault."

And I don't disagree with that, but without guns being legal then then the gun wouldn't be around for the kid to find.

And when I say lessons learned I mean that it's not the first time kids have taken guns into schools, it's recurrent and what is the common denominator there hey, let's blame all the parents lol. Blaming the parents doesn't acknowledge the fundamental problem; legality of guns.

No gun should be legal.

over a year ago

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned Hence why the parents should be charged not the child. Anyway you look at the situation. The parents are at fault.

And I don't disagree with that, but without guns being legal then then the gun wouldn't be around for the kid to find.

And when I say lessons learned I mean that it's not the first time kids have taken guns into schools, it's recurrent and what is the common denominator there hey, let's blame all the parents lol. Blaming the parents doesn't acknowledge the fundamental problem; legality of guns.

No gun should be legal. "

well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Exactly, that's what I mean when I say lessons are never learned Hence why the parents should be charged not the child. Anyway you look at the situation. The parents are at fault.

No gun should be legal. well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them."

bears charge humans frequently in your part of america then?

over a year ago

No gun should be legal. well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them."

Does the bear charge at you before or after your hunting session. You say you hunt so maybe stay out of it's environment maybe?

Just proves that the biggest predator in the world is a human being.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

No gun should be legal. well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them.bears charge humans frequently in your part of america then? "

I find the bears argument strange.

Much of Europe has bears, wolves and other wild animals.

Europeans don't, as a rule, feel the need to own guns as a result.

Nita

over a year ago

No gun should be legal. well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them.bears charge humans frequently in your part of america then?

Nita"

I find it strange too. I have family in Canada and they see the bears come to root through bins at night, they never bother in the day, they stay away from people.

One morning my relative opened up her bin to find a bear cub in there, later that morning the Mumma bears body was found, authorities believed that the bear was injured, knew her fate yet got the cub to safety

over a year ago

Ban all guns I say.

How the fuck did that six year old get hold of it in the first place?? "

Combination off things

1 parents being careless with them

2 lock company not caring

99% off locks can be opened by a 2 year old without the key

So even if it was in a safe or had a trigger lock or a lock box or anything

I mean literally it’s this easy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ke418cAUcPs

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

No gun should be legal. well I sure as hell not going to throw a rock at a charging bear. We get them.bears charge humans frequently in your part of america then?

Nita"

True but my understanding of bears is they only attack when hungry, they dont generally come near humans, they are however quite fearsome and grizzlies are gigantic, so i can understand a gun in that instance

over a year ago

Its my personal choice to protect myself. Wildlife and humans. Had to shoot a rabid raccoon couple years back that bit a neighbor. I agree they shouldn't be allowed in inner cities they only serve one purpose. But that will never happen.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/01/23 16:37:04]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Who else was shocked to hear that a 6 year old had shoot a teacher in a school in virgina today? I was as I turned on the news, the good news is, is that the teacher seem to be recovering, do you think it was planned and what do you think about it?premeditated yes the child took the gun from home how the hell she was able to do this who knows but luckily the teacher lives how do you punish this crime one wonders "
Yes, it was premeditated as well, the parents should of as well hid the gun better, he is now in custody. I wonder what will happen next?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/01/23 17:02:39]

over a year ago

Nothing is going to change in that country until their politicians stand up to the NRA, and to the people who believe it's their divine right to own assault rifles (fully aware this particular incident was a handgun though). Like.....in what world does a civilian need an assault rifle?? was a assault rifle used ? No it wasn't. A six year old carrying a long gun would be noticed. You don't even know what a assault rifle is. "

read what he said your reply says it all about Americans and guns taf.

over a year ago

"An assault rifle is,

shouldn't be able to buy a single shot are your the leaders of the free world my arse

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Who else was shocked to hear that a 6 year old had shoot a teacher in a school in virgina today? I was as I turned on the news, the good news is, is that the teacher seem to be recovering, do you think it was planned and what do you think about it?premeditated yes the child took the gun from home how the hell she was able to do this who knows but luckily the teacher lives how do you punish this crime one wonders Yes, it was premeditated as well, the parents should of as well hid the gun better, he is now in custody. I wonder what will happen next? "
the fathers in custody you mean?

Post new Message to Thread