Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Antidepressants and libido

Jump to newest

By *aptainhornpipe OP   Man
5 weeks ago

manchester

Felt a bit sad and anxious for a while so the doc prescribed sertraline.

Had to say if that’s helped at all for that but what it did do is totally kill my libido.

I just wasn’t interested and when I did get down to it the lady may as well have been stroking my arm for all the sensation I got. I have heard a lot of people say it delays orgasm, that’s never something I needed happening, so that was frustrating too not to mention when I actually got there it was quite literally an anticlimax.

I’m off them now for a few weeks, and I do definitely feel more interested for a start I am on here again

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otInventedHereMan
5 weeks ago

West Midlands

I would discuss it with your GP, I had a similar experience on Sertraline, I described trying to climax like running the wrong way up an escalator. There are other meds you can switch to that won't have the same negative effect, I swapped to something different and normal service resumed with my libido.

By *anGuy4funMan
5 weeks ago

Belfast

I had a bad experience with sertraline as well a couple of years ago. Various side effects including delayed orgasm. Citalopram for me anyway had no side effects. You'll find one that works for you, just might take some trial and error.

By *essTTWoman
5 weeks ago

Birmingham

It's a very common side effect unfortunately

I get the same, I can have sex but it takes alot of effort to be get into it and enjoy it

But I've tried others and setraline is the only one that works for me

5 weeks ago

manchester

"trying to climax like running the wrong way up an escalator."

That’s a good description, but I didn’t even want to get on the escalator, infact I couldn’t be bother visiting the building

5 weeks ago

manchester

"It's a very common side effect unfortunately

I get the same, I can have sex but it takes alot of effort to be get into it and enjoy it

But I've tried others and setraline is the only one that works for me "

I’ve not tried others but I have to say the price is too high with Sertraline. I can’t go though the rest of my life not wanting sex

By *nythingoes2024Man
5 weeks ago

Coventry

[Removed by poster at 28/05/24 19:14:23]

By *lue NotebooksCouple
5 weeks ago

Wirral

I was on sertraline, did the same thing and I couldn't even orgasm when masturbating. It was horrible. Antidepressants are life saving medication for some people but there has to be a cost benefit analysis of each medication and how it affects you. If it destroys your sex life then that could make some people more depressed.

To anyone going through this, speak to you doctor and explain how much it's affecting you. If you've been taking antidepressant medication for more than a few weeks you shouldn't stop taking them abruptly as you can get very unpleasant withdrawal effects. Again speak to your doctor and/or pharmacist

5 weeks ago

manchester

Yeah I lowered my dose for a week then stopped completely, I don’t think this was slow enough as I had some quite intense symptoms and it wasn’t pleasant. Nearly went back on them but ended up just soldiering on as didn’t want to start again

By (user no longer on site)
5 weeks ago

I’ve been on a low dose if Citalopram for years. Never had any issues but as I said it’s a low dose.

By *ardigan SpiceWoman
5 weeks ago

Cardigan

I was on fluoxetine for 11 years. Absolutely killed my sex drive and didn't have an orgasm in that time.

By *essTTWoman
5 weeks ago

Birmingham

"I was on sertraline, did the same thing and I couldn't even orgasm when masturbating. It was horrible. Antidepressants are life saving medication for some people but there has to be a cost benefit analysis of each medication and how it affects you. If it destroys your sex life then that could make some people more depressed.

To anyone going through this, speak to you doctor and explain how much it's affecting you. If you've been taking antidepressant medication for more than a few weeks you shouldn't stop taking them abruptly as you can get very unpleasant withdrawal effects. Again speak to your doctor and/or pharmacist "

I couldn't get out of bed or drive my car to work without wanting to drive into a tree

So no sex is a very small price to pay for me lol

Plus I'm super single so it's not really a priority for me, but obviously for those in a relationship its defo something that needs to be considered

5 weeks ago

manchester

"I was on sertraline, did the same thing and I couldn't even orgasm when masturbating. It was horrible. Antidepressants are life saving medication for some people but there has to be a cost benefit analysis of each medication and how it affects you. If it destroys your sex life then that could make some people more depressed.

To anyone going through this, speak to you doctor and explain how much it's affecting you. If you've been taking antidepressant medication for more than a few weeks you shouldn't stop taking them abruptly as you can get very unpleasant withdrawal effects. Again speak to your doctor and/or pharmacist

I couldn't get out of bed or drive my car to work without wanting to drive into a tree

So no sex is a very small price to pay for me lol

Plus I'm super single so it's not really a priority for me, but obviously for those in a relationship its defo something that needs to be considered "

Yeah sometimes just getting by is enough hard to have sex if your wrapped round a tree.

By *ustylouWoman
5 weeks ago

Aylesbury

Sertraline citalopram and fluoxetine all killed my sex drive and made me dryer than the Sahara desert. If I was depressed before hand not being able to have sex made me even worse. It took away the one part of my life that was actually good. Trying to explain that to a gp is awful. They just don't see sex as important. I try desperately hard to stay off them as much as possible nowadays, but the fight is hard when someday's you can't get out of bed because your so low. But as long as I can crawl out of mine into someone else's, I know I can cope.

Good luck finding one that works for you.

By *ib.Man
5 weeks ago

Hampshire

I've been through it all.

SSRI's were great at high doses, but intrude on other aspects of life. Handy when you're a mess but not good for when you actually want/need to 'get n with life'.

See if your GP will prescribe Mirtizipne. It's a fucking nightmare at first as you'll just want to sleep and eat carbs (even gained 10kg in a few weeks as a naturally slim person), but at 45mg I do actually feel like I can handle life's challenges.

I sleep great, and don't feel doses up. Hasn't affected libido.

Worth a shot, but be ready to sleep lots and get fat for 6 months.

5 weeks ago

manchester

"I've been through it all.

SSRI's were great at high doses, but intrude on other aspects of life. Handy when you're a mess but not good for when you actually want/need to 'get n with life'.

See if your GP will prescribe Mirtizipne. It's a fucking nightmare at first as you'll just want to sleep and eat carbs (even gained 10kg in a few weeks as a naturally slim person), but at 45mg I do actually feel like I can handle life's challenges.

Worth a shot, but be ready to sleep lots and get fat for 6 months."

I was on amitriptyline not for depression but for pain relief they did seem to help that but they made me so dopey. Work suffered and I’m still trying to pull myself out of that hole. Also I put on nearly two stone. Don’t know if that affected libido as I was in that much pain the last thing I wanted to do was have sex. The sertraline was a different experience with its own set of downsides. I seem to be more on an even keel at the moment and I think I’d be reluctant to go back on anything. Also I had a ADHD diagnosis and am waiting to start on stimulants so it will be interesting to see how that affects things. Heard they can increase libido

By *ib.Man
5 weeks ago

Hampshire

"I've been through it all.

Worth a shot, but be ready to sleep lots and get fat for 6 months.

I was on amitriptyline not for depression but for pain relief they did seem to help that but they made me so dopey. Work suffered and I’m still trying to pull myself out of that hole. Also I put on nearly two stone. Don’t know if that affected libido as I was in that much pain the last thing I wanted to do was have sex. The sertraline was a different experience with its own set of downsides. I seem to be more on an even keel at the moment and I think I’d be reluctant to go back on anything. Also I had a ADHD diagnosis and am waiting to start on stimulants so it will be interesting to see how that affects things. Heard they can increase libido "

Yeah, I can sympathise (although not had amitriptyline). First few months were rough, but the higher the dose the less the side effects were. Absolutely bizarre experience after trying most anti depressants which have the opposite affect.

I'll never touch another SSRI or SNRI again.

By *issP69Woman
5 weeks ago

Neath

I'm on 60mg of Fluoxetine

I am still horny as fuck on it but take ages to cum

By *ib.Man
5 weeks ago

Hampshire

"I'm on 60mg of Fluoxetine

I am still horny as fuck on it but take ages to cum"

It's horrible - very common side effect.

By *c240Man
5 weeks ago

Rugby

Sertraline has whacked my Mrs libido completely off. We've had sex about 6 times in 3 years.

When I was on it I found peaks and troughs with my libido. But that was probably mainly around my anxiety rather than the drugs.

By *ib.Man
5 weeks ago

Hampshire

I'm telling y'all - Mirtizipine was a game changer for me.

No sexual side effects.

It hasn't helped anxiety as much as an SSRI, but I can handle a bit of that on my own.

Just stay away from biscuits/McDonalds.

By *octor WhenMan
5 weeks ago

GLASGOW

I tried various meds and they all had the same issue of delayed orgasm if I did orgasm at all.

I have slowly reduced the dose and I stop taken them.for a few days if I have something planned, which definitely helps. Hoping I can come off them all together with the help of some counselling.

On the plus side, my partners all like how long I last.

Every cloud.....

By *octor WhenMan
5 weeks ago

GLASGOW

There is evidence that adding another drug called Bupropion can help with the delayed orgasm problem.

By *ib.Man
5 weeks ago

Hampshire

"There is evidence that adding another drug called Bupropion can help with the delayed orgasm problem."

As far I I know that isn't prescribed on the NHS.

By *uxom redCouple
5 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

My mental health is more important to me than being able to orgasm. Sex is enjoyable hopefully if you cum or not .

I'd rather not cum than have a black dog day .

By *essTTWoman
5 weeks ago

Birmingham

"My mental health is more important to me than being able to orgasm. Sex is enjoyable hopefully if you cum or not .

I'd rather not cum than have a black dog day ."

This!

By *ortyairCouple
5 weeks ago

Wallasey

Sertraline is known for its effect on reducing libido.

In fact Panorama made a programme about this. Patients claimed it had a similar effect as 'chemical' castration and their libido is still next to nothing years after coming off it.

See GP and ask for an alternative if you've been prescribed this,

Mrs x

By *inkystar1Woman
5 weeks ago

Heathfield

I was the same on sertraline. Put on weigh and had no interest in sex. Tried citalopram..not much difference. Then tried escitalopram. Completely different. You just have to find one that works for you

5 weeks ago

manchester

"I was the same on sertraline. Put on weigh and had no interest in sex. Tried citalopram..not much difference. Then tried escitalopram. Completely different. You just have to find one that works for you "

I’m glad you have found something that works, I’m going to try to cope without. Feeling on an even keel at the moment. Is that cos of the drugs I don’t know.

By *hea68Woman
5 weeks ago

rugby

Do any women have problems with vaginal dryness? I'm on venlafaxine and very rarely get wet

5 weeks ago

manchester

Do you think that’s as a consequence of lowered libido or are you actually getting horny and not getting wet

By *octor WhenMan
5 weeks ago

GLASGOW

"My mental health is more important to me than being able to orgasm. Sex is enjoyable hopefully if you cum or not .

I'd rather not cum than have a black dog day ."

I think we woukd all agree with that, but you shouldn't have to make that choice. It dont believe forva second that its beyond the medical and pharmaceutical world to resolve this problem. But there is no money in it for them, so they won't.

By *awrence58Man
5 weeks ago

Beccles kik Lawrence581965

Could I please have some advice I've been on here fir 4 weeks now I'm retired but still in good shape but cannot even get people to start a chat with me let alone a meet what am I doing wrong any advice would be appreciated

By *essTTWoman
5 weeks ago

Birmingham

"Could I please have some advice I've been on here fir 4 weeks now I'm retired but still in good shape but cannot even get people to start a chat with me let alone a meet what am I doing wrong any advice would be appreciated "

Why did tou think this was the right thread to ask this?

By *essTTWoman
5 weeks ago

Birmingham

I'd rather not cum than have a black dog day .

I think we woukd all agree with that, but you shouldn't have to make that choice. It dont believe forva second that its beyond the medical and pharmaceutical world to resolve this problem. But there is no money in it for them, so they won't."

Agreed but the medications affect the same part of the brain which is the issue

They probably could find a way around it but their research could be better used elsewhere

By *awrence58Man
5 weeks ago

Beccles kik Lawrence581965

Sorry thought this was the swinging advice forum

By *inkystar1Woman
5 weeks ago

Heathfield

"Could I please have some advice I've been on here fir 4 weeks now I'm retired but still in good shape but cannot even get people to start a chat with me let alone a meet what am I doing wrong any advice would be appreciated "

Advice? ...how about start your own thread.

5 weeks ago

manchester

"Sorry thought this was the swinging advice forum "

It is but this a thread on a specific subject, fab is a place where men have a lot of work to do to meet people. Women make up less than 10% of the population so they are often inundated with messages and have their pick of the bunch. They also have to wade through masses of dick heads to get to someone good

By *ak4uMan
5 weeks ago

chelmsford

"Sorry thought this was the swinging advice forum "

Start your own thread, you'll get a much better response.

4 weeks ago

manchester

So I have been off sertraline now for a little over 3 weeks, think symptoms are pretty much gone. Still feeling a little dizzy at times.

Libido has improved, also sensation has increased too. Had sex a couple of times over the weekend, not only did I actually want it. It was a lot more enjoyable. Previously it was more akin to doing press-ups on a partner.

Post new Message to Thread