Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Spain

Money

Jump to newest

By *xybum OP   Woman
over a year ago

East Kilbride

How is everyone taking their money to spain now? Cash or pre paid credit cards? Or both? Are shops accepting both ok?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uboCouple
over a year ago

East kilbride

Jut back from PDI 2 weeks. Cash is still king. Both are accepted though

By *xybum OP   Woman
over a year ago

East Kilbride

"Jut back from PDI 2 weeks. Cash is still king. Both are accepted though"

Fab thanks

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Here on the mainland most businesses accept card payments but there are still a small number that don't.

Unlike in some other countries (and airlines) we have yet to hear of anywhere that refuses cash.

By *ustusboth2013Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"How is everyone taking their money to spain now? Cash or pre paid credit cards? Or both? Are shops accepting both ok?"

We usually take our Santander card and take money out the wall using EUR, not GBP for commission free and a good rate.

Been lazy this year and used the credit card which has been fine with rates of €1.20 to the £1. This week used my Santander debit card and about €1.16.

Went to the 2x2 meeting point yesterday. They only take cash so I had to go to the Hipodino ATM for €40 and got charged €5 for the privilege.

By *exOnLegsPlymCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

We use a Starling card. They are a very good bank as there's no transaction charge either for cash withdrawals or purchases, PLUS there's no daily limit to how much cash you can withdraw. Most banks limit you to £250 per day which is mostly fine but might not be for a big trip etc.

So, we'll take a few Euros plus the card.

By *ustusboth2013Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"We use a Starling card. They are a very good bank as there's no transaction charge either for cash withdrawals or purchases, PLUS there's no daily limit to how much cash you can withdraw. Most banks limit you to £250 per day which is mostly fine but might not be for a big trip etc.

So, we'll take a few Euros plus the card."

I use Starling for my business, along with Tide and (Transfer)Wise. Is this all ATMs? As I’m sure the charge to use the ATM was dictated by the vendor offering the service.

By *parkybunnyCouple
over a year ago

Zurich & London

Revolut card, really easy to load difference currencies when travelling.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Do you all pay with cards at the hotel or use cash

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Do you all pay with cards at the hotel or use cash"

I usually put it on the room and pay by card at the end.

By *utrageously-DeliciousCouple
over a year ago

Axminster

We use a FairFX card you can hold different currency’s on the same card at the same time so pounds and Euros. Transfer when the exchange rate is best on their App.

No charge to exchange either.

Use for everything Uk or overseas.

Also Monzo is usually a good exchange rate, used in past.

Use minimal cash, taxi transfer from airport is cash only, then atm job as required.

Covid has ensured many take cards.

Shop around and use whatever suits you best, banks and as already mentioned credit cards tend to charge per transaction regardless.

Final top tip is always pay in the local currency to where you are for best rates all round x

By *jkuk72Man
over a year ago

London & Herts

"Revolut card, really easy to load difference currencies when travelling. "

Same here - Revolut

By *FuckWellMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I use in the UK and abroad Revolute and Halifax clarity credit card. If they ask you if you want to pay in pounds or local currency, always select local.

I will take some cash. Because I have them. Would I exchange if I didn't have? No, I'm not worried about "big brother watching me".

Carrying cash is a hassle to me. Hence, I limit it.

Am I missing some discounts or deals by not paying in cash?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Revolut card, really easy to load difference currencies when travelling. "

Loving/ working in gib with pounds and then socially going out in spain with Euros I cannot recommend enough Revolut.

Good exchange rate, great cards, and a few ither good perks

By *lovisMan
over a year ago

Twickenham

Never take only one method of payment. I preloaded a FairFx card to go to Japan and it wouldn't work in any ATM. Luckily I had a backup as it would have been expensive.

By *tinerant scribeMan
over a year ago

County Durham

I have seen cash refused in a few very small businesses. I can remember a bakery and (sadly) a craft beer place.

By *he_tykiesCouple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

We take a mixture of cash & Caxton pre loaded cards.....plus a normal empty mastercard as an ultimate back up for emergencies!

By *erbally-sensualMan
over a year ago

Greater Manchester

"We use a Starling card. They are a very good bank as there's no transaction charge either for cash withdrawals or purchases, PLUS there's no daily limit to how much cash you can withdraw. Most banks limit you to £250 per day which is mostly fine but might not be for a big trip etc.

Ditto lol

I am taking my starling to Ibiza

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Is revelut just a digital or physical card?

over a year ago

"Is revelut just a digital or physical card? "

You can get a physical card for a fiver, or just use the virtual card on the App

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Is revelut just a digital or physical card?

You can get a physical card for a fiver, or just use the virtual card on the App "

Thanks

over a year ago

You can get a physical card for a fiver, or just use the virtual card on the App

Thanks "

We used Revolut for the first time, this trip and it was brilliant. Loved that you can set a rate to buy currency at and also that you get alerts and detailed receipts for every transaction. No issues using it anywhere

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Thanks

We used Revolut for the first time, this trip and it was brilliant. Loved that you can set a rate to buy currency at and also that you get alerts and detailed receipts for every transaction. No issues using it anywhere "

Some of the reviews on the app put me off but obviously lots of you saying that you had no issues. I might give it a go. I usually just use mostly cash and just a credit card for large transactions and the final hotel bill.

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

We both have a starling card to use abroad, although last trip we had an atm refused mine but a phone call and an hour wait it was back up and running.

over a year ago

Thanks

We used Revolut for the first time, this trip and it was brilliant. Loved that you can set a rate to buy currency at and also that you get alerts and detailed receipts for every transaction. No issues using it anywhere

Some of the reviews on the app put me off but obviously lots of you saying that you had no issues. I might give it a go. I usually just use mostly cash and just a credit card for large transactions and the final hotel bill. "

Better exchange rate than credit cards and you just pay using the Euros you've loaded onto the card. The only thing to watch, is that you don't run out of Euro at a weekend, as they do charge 1% to exchange currency at the weekend. Other than that, we didn't see any downside to it

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Thanks

Some of the reviews on the app put me off but obviously lots of you saying that you had no issues. I might give it a go. I usually just use mostly cash and just a credit card for large transactions and the final hotel bill.

Better exchange rate than credit cards and you just pay using the Euros you've loaded onto the card. The only thing to watch, is that you don't run out of Euro at a weekend, as they do charge 1% to exchange currency at the weekend. Other than that, we didn't see any downside to it"

Thank you

Post new Message to Thread