Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

laptop dying!!!!

Jump to newest

By *iss_serenity OP   Woman
over a year ago

nottingham

does anyone have any idea about internet setup and firewall problems? i've got a three internet dongle and since doing the updates, its just refusing to work, any ideas?

currently running on xp if that makes a difference

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When did you do the update?

over a year ago

is it coming on at all? if its blue screen you need to reformat and start fresh install of everything.

By *lackCherryCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

this is generally one of those situations where you will want a professional to look at it

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

"does anyone have any idea about internet setup and firewall problems? i've got a three internet dongle and since doing the updates, its just refusing to work, any ideas?

currently running on xp if that makes a difference"

We've lost 2 laptops to Microsoft updates....., now we have it set that we don't receive the updates at all and we take it to a professional every 3 months or so and get it updated correctly.

By *lackCherryCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Do you really pay someone to put windows updates on your computers ?

I'm in the wrong job

over a year ago

when i had xp it killed my desk top on an update. i have windows 7 no problems. my daughters had vista and it blue screened. go with windows 7 if you can.

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

"Do you really pay someone to put windows updates on your computers ?

I'm in the wrong job "

As gemini stated...... XP is a nightmare with the Microsoft updates.

We've got Vista now and I hate it. I always loved XP and went through University with XP.

Unfortunately, I do think that as laptops get older (say after 18 months), Microsoft updates get more complicated and the laptops struggle to cope.

Luckily, the professional that does our computers also works for Jason occassionally, so we get the professional touch for nothing!

By *lackCherryCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

just go to 7, much easier than messing around with XP

though im not sure what updates there for XP as its actually at end of life now as an operating system !

over a year ago

"does anyone have any idea about internet setup and firewall problems? i've got a three internet dongle and since doing the updates, its just refusing to work, any ideas?

you broke it again ??? try rolling back and not doing the updates..

cali ( long time no speak) x

over a year ago

should not really dye a laptop, there are covers available but salt will fix it and stop the dye running.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Either try uninstalling the updates or go for a system restore of an earlier date.

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

Serenity,

You may have to give up with XP. half the updates are automatic and regardless of whether or not you roll back to a previous date, they will auto download.

Probably better to take your lappy to a professional and have XP taken off and soemthing else put on.

over a year ago

"just go to 7, much easier than messing around with XP

though im not sure what updates there for XP as its actually at end of life now as an operating system !"

Why don't you give Linux Ubuntu a go? You can download a free trail disc etc from the web or buy one of the many magazines which normally have a disc with them, you can run it from the disc so you can try it pr install it along side windows id you can't live without windows.

Been running Ubuntu for a couple of years no problems.

By *entscotscplCouple
over a year ago

falkirk ish

why dont you contact 3 ?

we had problems with a dongle and they talked us through sorting our laptop out !!

over a year ago

One of the most common problems with 3G dongles is where (either over time or suddenly for no reason) they fail to work because some strain has been put on it when its plugged in and as a result the connetor wires are fractured inside the dongle itself.

If you unplug it and plug it in again, does it register correctly in XP - can it be seen in device manager when its plugged in?

Post new Message to Thread