Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Psychic, do you believe?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just been to a phychic supper and had 2 readings. Was hoping my brother that passed in June would come through but he didn’t. I was told it’s not enough time since he passed to come to me.

The readings I had were pretty prescise but I’ve come home thinking WTF! If these people are fakes how do they know so much information.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

‘Not enough time’? Not enough time to find out more about you, I bet!

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I believe everyone has a psychic ability - it’s a skill we have forgotten to use, but I don’t approve of these who make money or try to out of it.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

What kind of precise information? Did you have to book a place and give the names of those attending?

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I was totally a none believer till my ex girlfriend blagged me into going after my sister was killed. She litroly knew nothing about me other than my name. From the second I walked into her rather freaky house I knew I was wrong. She knew why to much for it to be a blag....

Reply privately

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

They can get a lot of information about you from social media if they have your real name.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I had a tarot reading a few yrs ago that was eerily spot on..especially as it was a random thing

Reply privately

over a year ago

james randi.

his 1 million dollar prize is still available to anyone who can prove they have psychic ability.

so far no one has been able to claim it.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"They can get a lot of information about you from social media if they have your real name. "

Nope not this time. I've never been on any and all she knew was my 1st name. She didn't even understand what it was she was telling me untill after and I explained what it ment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What kind of precise information? Did you have to book a place and give the names of those attending?"

No we didn’t. It was booked through a friend.

They gave me my dads name and my stepdads name and knew information about my mum and she died. My husband said they just guess but I said guess all that?

I’m pretty much on the fence whether I believe it or not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They can get a lot of information about you from social media if they have your real name.

Nope not this time. I've never been on any and all she knew was my 1st name. She didn't even understand what it was she was telling me untill after and I explained what it ment."

I had this too. I went for a reading with this male medium and the stuff he knew about me. Stuff I've not told anyone. I spent the session in tears

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

The way they get seemingly amazing facts is called 'cold reading'. There are books and videos showing how 'psychics' do it.

Reply privately

By *ortobello SionnachWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

I believe in Psychics!

I believe they are very good at parting people from their money but not much else.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They can get a lot of information about you from social media if they have your real name.

Nope not this time. I've never been on any and all she knew was my 1st name. She didn't even understand what it was she was telling me untill after and I explained what it ment.

I had this too. I went for a reading with this male medium and the stuff he knew about me. Stuff I've not told anyone. I spent the session in tears "

I actually came away crying too.

I’d said we weren’t celebrating Xmas this year with losing my brother and this man tonight said your mums said make this the best Christmas ever.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The way they get seemingly amazing facts is called 'cold reading'. There are books and videos showing how 'psychics' do it. "

This is what my husband and dad said. It was well know in the war of a way of getting information from you for the enemy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I believe in Psychics!

I believe they are very good at parting people from their money but not much else. "

Wasn’t cheap. £35 for 2 readings and a crap meal, pudding was nice though.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I had this too. I went for a reading with this male medium and the stuff he knew about me. Stuff I've not told anyone. I spent the session in tears

I’d said we weren’t celebrating Xmas this year with losing my brother and this man tonight said your mums said make this the best Christmas ever. "

What I would say is give it a couple of days then go over what was said and decide what's evidence of psychic ability and what isn't.

I've seen and heard too many things to not believe that human beings have certain abilities but I am extremely cynical about what is and isn't genuine.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"What kind of precise information? Did you have to book a place and give the names of those attending?

They gave me my dads name and my stepdads name and knew information about my mum and she died. My husband said they just guess but I said guess all that?

I’m pretty much on the fence whether I believe it or not. "

No, that wasn't guesswork. Was the reading before,after or during the meal?

Reply privately

over a year ago

My husbands gran many many many years ago (when she was just in her twenties, she died two years ago in her 70s) saw one, and they predicted how she would die, what age she would die, and how many children she would have. All were correct

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’d said we weren’t celebrating Xmas this year with losing my brother and this man tonight said your mums said make this the best Christmas ever.

What I would say is give it a couple of days then go over what was said and decide what's evidence of psychic ability and what isn't.

I've seen and heard too many things to not believe that human beings have certain abilities but I am extremely cynical about what is and isn't genuine."

Well it was all recorded for us so I’ll go over it in a few days.

It would be nice to think though that when your loved ones have passed they are still with you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What kind of precise information? Did you have to book a place and give the names of those attending?

I’m pretty much on the fence whether I believe it or not.

No, that wasn't guesswork. Was the reading before,after or during the meal?"

During the meal. We sat on table away from others and were the 1st to be called up for a reading.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My husbands gran many many many years ago (when she was just in her twenties, she died two years ago in her 70s) saw one, and they predicted how she would die, what age she would die, and how many children she would have. All were correct "

My mom saw one years ago when she was still alive and married to my Dad and was very accurate with her readings, so was my Nan who could read tea leaves.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've seen and heard too many things to not believe that human beings have certain abilities but I am extremely cynical about what is and isn't genuine.

Well it was all recorded for us so I’ll go over it in a few days.

It would be nice to think though that when your loved ones have passed they are still with you. "

They are in your memories.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

If I remember right I paid about 15/20 quid at most and was there well over an hour. If she was a scam she was hardly making a fortune out of it. I can understand why ppl think that though as I did and no dawt most of them are full of shit but the 1 I seen really wasn't. She even told me what pets I'd had including the names. That was straight off the bat with no way she could have known. Lucky guess maybe but if it was I'm going back for next week's lottery numbers.

Reply privately

By *istalloverCouple
over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

If its a trick

its a bloody good one.

i was told that i reversed a large white van down a cul de sac daily

how the hell did he know that , wife booked the tickets ?.

Clever stuff if its a trick.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My driving instructor saw a psychic who told her her dad (who had died 10 yrs before) was still really angry about not being able to transition to the other side and in order for him to do so he confessed to having a second family ..ie a mistress and two other daughers who had lived 5 miles away from the actual family home.. he gave names and addresses and it was all checked and verified afterwards and found to be true...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I remember right I paid about 15/20 quid at most and was there well over an hour. If she was a scam she was hardly making a fortune out of it. I can understand why ppl think that though as I did and no dawt most of them are full of shit but the 1 I seen really wasn't. She even told me what pets I'd had including the names. That was straight off the bat with no way she could have known. Lucky guess maybe but if it was I'm going back for next week's lottery numbers."

Ha ha, I actually joked about this tonight and was told they can’t use their gift like that.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My mum had been suffering from a horrible pain in her stomach for days. A woman she knew by sight stopped her in the street and said "you've got pain" put her hands on the exact spot and the pain went away.

There are people who have abilities we don't understand yet. However for every person who has been told genuine information by a psychic there are at least 1000 who have been told a load of old claptrap.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My mum had been suffering from a horrible pain in her stomach for days. A woman she knew by sight stopped her in the street and said "you've got pain" put her hands on the exact spot and the pain went away.

There are people who have abilities we don't understand yet. However for every person who has been told genuine information by a psychic there are at least 1000 who have been told a load of old claptrap."

I totally agree. When my mum 1st died, I ended up spending a small fortune on seeing mediums, just so I could get a message from her. That was all bullshit and not one of them told me anything significant. I also believe there are those that have a gift.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I remember right I paid about 15/20 quid at most and was there well over an hour. If she was a scam she was hardly making a fortune out of it. I can understand why ppl think that though as I did and no dawt most of them are full of shit but the 1 I seen really wasn't. She even told me what pets I'd had including the names. That was straight off the bat with no way she could have known. Lucky guess maybe but if it was I'm going back for next week's lottery numbers."

I don't get it, she told you stuff you already knew and you paid money for that?

Reply privately

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

no

Reply privately

over a year ago

No

Reply privately

By *ouplewatcher83Man
over a year ago

Northwich

I remember watching a Derren Brown programme where he gave sperate readings to people all over the world, they all met up and said they couldn't believe how accurate he was with them (most saying something like 90%+ accurate) he then told them to show one another their readings, they were all exactly the same ....

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"My mum had been suffering from a horrible pain in her stomach for days. A woman she knew by sight stopped her in the street and said "you've got pain" put her hands on the exact spot and the pain went away.

There are people who have abilities we don't understand yet. However for every person who has been told genuine information by a psychic there are at least 1000 who have been told a load of old claptrap.

I totally agree. When my mum 1st died, I ended up spending a small fortune on seeing mediums, just so I could get a message from her. That was all bullshit and not one of them told me anything significant. I also believe there are those that have a gift. "

I think anyone needs to be quite careful about believing that anything is a message from a dead relative. Its a huge leap from someone knowing certain things about you by whatever method and them knowing those things because a spirit told them.

Reply privately

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I was a complete cynic till I went with friends on a last minute as someone had dropped out so the woman didn’t even know my name. What she told me she could never have guessed as she was spot on with every bit of information she gave some of which not another soul knew about

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The evidence doesn't seem to exist to support their claims, so I remain an open minded sceptic. James Randi put a million dollars up for anyone willing to be assessed too but no one ever managed it. He evaluated Uri Gellar, mediums, all manner of people who claimed they had psychic abilities and scientific research since still seems empty of robust evidence.

Derren Brown demonstrated many times how he could appear to have psychic abilities but used tricks such as cold reading. Where there are vulnerable or those seeking comfort, assurance etc, coupled with others who can offer an answer, there is a good match. There are some who will defraud, others who perhaps don't know how they themselves achieve their answers and maybe others who operate outside of the known laws of the universe.

What does common sense say?

Reply privately

over a year ago

No its a con just people reading

Reply privately

By *rReyMan
over a year ago

Waddington

My Nan was a spiritualist medium/reader and wierd shit used to happen at her house. I'm a believer but there are snake oil vendors out there.

Reply privately

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

Derren Brown did an interesting programme where he shows the techniques that these people use to make it sound like they have psychic powers. He was able to replicate them convincingly. I’m a sceptic.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"If I remember right I paid about 15/20 quid at most and was there well over an hour. If she was a scam she was hardly making a fortune out of it. I can understand why ppl think that though as I did and no dawt most of them are full of shit but the 1 I seen really wasn't. She even told me what pets I'd had including the names. That was straight off the bat with no way she could have known. Lucky guess maybe but if it was I'm going back for next week's lottery numbers.

I don't get it, she told you stuff you already knew and you paid money for that? "

Funny guy.

Reply privately

By *nsatiable Needy BratWoman
over a year ago

Here and There

I used to attend a group at a spirtualist church where we would meditate and go around the circle and each say what we saw, heard or felt during meditation and who we felt drawn to. I have given many people a message, (I would see images as if I'm watching a video playing and words were kind of heard, but more Just a sense of knowing.) people I have never met before and I've told them what I've seen that I do not understand the meaning of but they have known the exact meaning. I also used to do ribbon readings and had the same outcome.

I still to this day don't fully understand it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

One of my best friends is a psychic medium

He only practices in churches and doesn't do private readings

He is of the opinion that there a lot of opportunistic mediums that take advantage of, and capitalise on, the grief of others

Reply privately

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Psychics and a whole host of alternative therapies such as homeopathy are complete bunkum in a world where the lack of understanding of science is almost celebrated. A state of affairs accurately forecast by the great Carl Sagan many years ago.

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Reply privately

over a year ago

Flat Earthers

Creationists

Believers in the supernatural.

etc.

All red flags to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am a pshyic medium

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

The first fact , question would be to ask

How does derren brown do it

And remember he did predict the correct lottery numbers

The fact is people who do not claim to speak to the dead can do everything a psychic claims leaving their audience spell bound

They use more than one trick technique , but one technique they do not use is speak to dead people

I cannot fathom every trick, this does not mean their non plausible explanation is true

Even Derren brown lies when he pretends in a long winded manner he is selecting the most suggestable , where the technique he used would have worked on anyone , it's just good theatre

So the main point

Regardless of what they know until you KNOW how Derren does it you should assume they are doing the exact same , why would you not?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I remember right I paid about 15/20 quid at most and was there well over an hour. If she was a scam she was hardly making a fortune out of it. I can understand why ppl think that though as I did and no dawt most of them are full of shit but the 1 I seen really wasn't. She even told me what pets I'd had including the names. That was straight off the bat with no way she could have known. Lucky guess maybe but if it was I'm going back for next week's lottery numbers.

The fact is people who do not claim to speak to the dead can do everything a psychic claims leaving their audience spell bound

They use more than one trick technique , but one technique they do not use is speak to dead people

I cannot fathom every trick, this does not mean their non plausible explanation is true

Even Derren brown lies when he pretends in a long winded manner he is selecting the most suggestable , where the technique he used would have worked on anyone , it's just good theatre

So the main point

Regardless of what they know until you KNOW how Derren does it you should assume they are doing the exact same , why would you not? "

Darren brown is a fake gives mediums a bad name

Reply privately

over a year ago

" Regardless of what they know until you KNOW how Derren does it you should assume they are doing the exact same , why would you not? "

People prefer comforting lies to hard truths.

Your dog hasn't been incinerated after the vet gave it massive dose of phenobarbital, it's living on a happy farm, far away.

Your loved one isn't gone forever they're watching over you etc...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its all a con praying on people who are vulnerable to make money. Its funny how they always get clues, like hearing a letter or a number. The dead person never comes through with their full date of birth, national insurance number and talks normally.

The James Randi challenge ran for years and exposed so many of these fakes and con artists.

You’re born, you live and then you die. You’re brain (which is you) rots away and thats the end.

Reply privately

By *thena123Woman
over a year ago

Swansea

I've been twice myself,i didn't give my real name, when she was asking me questions I didn't answer then all I said is you tell me, I didn't change any of my body language I just sat there relaxed and looking at the table.id never met her before, she didn't know who I was and she told me a few things that I'd not told anyone else...but I didn't let on to her about them she just talked and talked and talked....xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

My ex gf went to see one while we were still together. She was told lots of very accurate stuff. Was told that my ex wife was poisonous and that me and her would split up but that we get get back together once I’d divorced the wife and we would get married, she offered to describe the wedding dress, venue, all kinds of things. We split up, I divorced the wife, I’m just waiting for the getting back together but now. Aside from that, this psychic said my ex had the gift, she invited her to her psychic class which is by invitation only and she doesn’t charge for. She went every Tuesday and she learned how to use it. The stories she told me were amazing. She at first it freaked her out. Dead people came thru to her whoshe was able to look up online and verify. An American soldier who died in Iraq came thru and she was able to look his death up. Now I know she’s not the type to talk shit and she has no intention of making money from it. Some weird things happened the last time I saw her but it would take forever to explain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its all a con praying on people who are vulnerable to make money. Its funny how they always get clues, like hearing a letter or a number. The dead person never comes through with their full date of birth, national insurance number and talks normally.

The James Randi challenge ran for years and exposed so many of these fakes and con artists.

You’re born, you live and then you die. You’re brain (which is you) rots away and thats the end. "

You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So the main point

Regardless of what they know until you KNOW how Derren does it you should assume they are doing the exact same , why would you not?

Darren brown is a fake gives mediums a bad name"

He’s not a fake, he’s open about his methods, he doesn’t clam to be psychic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Watch some early Derren Brown stuff. He could do it and full admits it’s a load of rubbish

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am a pshyic medium"

Going by your name alone I’d say you’re more a psychic large

Reply privately

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

Go and see Clinton Baptiste. Check him out on YouTube if you don’t recognise his name!

Reply privately

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

I can't see the point in being told stuff you already know. I'd want to learn things I didn't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 09:04:31]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its all a con praying on people who are vulnerable to make money. Its funny how they always get clues, like hearing a letter or a number. The dead person never comes through with their full date of birth, national insurance number and talks normally.

You’re born, you live and then you die. You’re brain (which is you) rots away and thats the end.

You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me. "

My belief is backed up by scientific fact, which is constantly challenged and evolves. Your belief is backed up by zero evidence and crack pots who make money from vulnerable people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The people who attend such events are looking for answers, they need to feel loved, touched, thought of.

For me it would be better if these people concentrate on improving their lives

Reply privately

over a year ago

You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me.

My belief is backed up by scientific fact, which is constantly challenged and evolves. Your belief is backed up by zero evidence and crack pots who make money from vulnerable people."

It’s not tho. I have never visited a psychic. I have seen things first hand to form my own opinions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 09:15:13]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Dublin

"The people who attend such events are looking for answers, they need to feel loved, touched, thought of.

For me it would be better if these people concentrate on improving their lives"

Some people want to believe in something you only have to look at the cults around to see that. Mediums are just clever people who cant take advantage of the vulnerable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My belief is backed up by scientific fact, which is constantly challenged and evolves. Your belief is backed up by zero evidence and crack pots who make money from vulnerable people.

It’s not tho. I have never visited a psychic. I have seen things first hand to form my own opinions. "

Well thats just heresy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The people who attend such events are looking for answers, they need to feel loved, touched, thought of.

For me it would be better if these people concentrate on improving their lives

Some people want to believe in something you only have to look at the cults around to see that. Mediums are just clever people who cant take advantage of the vulnerable. "

Could add all the worlds religions to that list to

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

It’s not tho. I have never visited a psychic. I have seen things first hand to form my own opinions. "

Yes indeed you have , so now tell us how you have ruled out any of the unknown techniques that the magicians use to perform the exact same results as you have witnessed x I assume you know ALL the techniques to be able to discern that they are not being employed to convince you ?

As you must already know ALL of them please tell me x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me. "

It's not just their opinion, entropy is a law of thermodynamics.

Ghosts/afterlife would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

If you have to eat food, your entire life for energy, where does the energy for being a ghost come from?

"Science doesn't know everything" isn't an answer

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I don’t believe.

If they offer comfort to people that’s fair enough.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s not tho. I have never visited a psychic. I have seen things first hand to form my own opinions.

Yes indeed you have , so now tell us how you have ruled out any of the unknown techniques that the magicians use to perform the exact same results as you have witnessed x I assume you know ALL the techniques to be able to discern that they are not being employed to convince you ?

As you must already know ALL of them please tell me x"

I’ve just told you that I have never visited a psychic. I’m not referring to the work of psychics. I’m saying I have witnessed things myself, as in with my own eyes that are the basis of my opinions. I don’t mean I have watched a psychic at work and I believed what I saw or heard.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me.

If you have to eat food, your entire life for energy, where does the energy for being a ghost come from?

"Science doesn't know everything" isn't an answer"

I have no idea, just because we don’t know the answers doesn’t mean it can’t be true.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I believe we don't fully understand the capabilities of the human brain. What I can't decide is whether the capabilities we don't understand are ones we have lost or ones we are developing. I'd like to think the latter.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You don’t know this for certain tho. That’s your belief and that’s up to you but you can’t say it’s fact because ultimately we don’t know until the time comes. I’ve witnessed things personally that can’t be brushed aside as nonsense or my mind playing tricks on me.

I have no idea, just because we don’t know the answers doesn’t mean it can’t be true. "

Slow hand clap for this guy.

Just because the collective human understanding of the universe isn't complete, doesn't mean it's ok to hold bullshit with no evidence, as equal to the views and beliefs that do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I believe they are very good at what they do, and their clientele are mainly there because they want to believe!

Whether they are truly ‘psychic’ is open to debate.

It’s yet to be scientifically proved, which is why I’m a natural sceptic, but I also know lack of scientific proof doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s not something in it as our scientific knowledge is increasing all the time!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just been to a phychic supper and had 2 readings. Was hoping my brother that passed in June would come through but he didn’t. I was told it’s not enough time since he passed to come to me.

The readings I had were pretty prescise but I’ve come home thinking WTF! If these people are fakes how do they know so much information. "

Not in any way no, thought reading possibly, talking to the dead, not a chance.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I believe we don't fully understand the capabilities of the human brain. What I can't decide is whether the capabilities we don't understand are ones we have lost or ones we are developing. I'd like to think the latter."

I think a lot can be explained by the use of all our senses *to the full*. Something which modern man has lost due artificial lighting, heat etc. I suspect the humans of early and prehistory would have been able to read situations and people much more readily than us. I wonder if some psychic ability is down to this.

It's also believed that ancestor worship was the norm in many cultures and that possibly people communicated directly with their dead relatives by revisiting their remains on feast days.

I wonder if somehow the two became intertwined and the belief developed that certain information being picked up tacitly to keep safe and fed was attributed to the dead ancestors.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have no idea, just because we don’t know the answers doesn’t mean it can’t be true.

Just because the collective human understanding of the universe isn't complete, doesn't mean it's ok to hold bullshit with no evidence, as equal to the views and beliefs that do.

"

No need for sarcasm. Its an open discussion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I believe they are very good at what they do, and their clientele are mainly there because they want to believe!

Whether they are truly ‘psychic’ is open to debate.

It’s yet to be scientifically proved, which is why I’m a natural sceptic, but I also know lack of scientific proof doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s not something in it as our scientific knowledge is increasing all the time! "

But science is *not* neutral on psychics.

At this time there is no scentific basis for believing in psychics.

Which is exactly true of monsters underneath my bed.

Until I actually check, I don't know whether there is or there isn't.

Science says: fear of monsters under your bed is probably psychological, no one has ever taxonomically documented these monsters

Psychics say: science doesn't know everything so there *could* be monsters under your bed

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I’ll believe what I want to believe not what some guy in a dodgy pair of undies tells me to believe. You have no idea what I have seen first hand or witnessed with my own eyes yet you know for a fact that it’s bull shit. I feel sorry for you people with closed minds. I’d never tell anybody that they’re talking shit unless I was there and could say for certain it didn’t happen.

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".....Wasn’t cheap. £35 for 2 readings and a crap meal, pudding was nice though. "

Well at least you got a nice pudding and some kind of comfort even if only a placebo.

As someone else mentioned Mr Randi's prize for a genuine (as defined in the rules) is still open. Given how many 'psychics' are happy to charge for their 'services' it's odd that none of them have managed to claim it.

Given how terrible the human mind is at spotting a con it's not surprising that people continue to belive in psychic powers, religion, homeopathy etc. It's very easy to say 'they don't fool me' but we're all prone to wishful and magical thinking. Crowd Science on the World Service did an episode on it recently.

Mike xx

PS when we die all we do is decay, there's no afterlife! It's a genius marketing stratagem based in our awerenes of mortality.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 10:14:35]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's a load of old tosh!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ll believe what I want to believe not what some guy in a dodgy pair of undies tells me to believe. You have no idea what I have seen first hand or witnessed with my own eyes yet you know for a fact that it’s bull shit. I feel sorry for you people with closed minds. I’d never tell anybody that they’re talking shit unless I was there and could say for certain it didn’t happen. "

I believe in things if there's evidence for them

I don't believe in things if there's evidence against them.

If that makes me closed minded then I wear it with a badge of pride

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Well thats just heresy "

Typo or intentional? Either way,

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".....Darren brown is a fake gives mediums a bad name"

I'm pretty sure Mr Brown is a skilled entertainer who's (amongst other things) trying to show how mediums and psychics can produce results without any psychic ability. That might well sully their reputation :D Of course it would be nice if he were here to confirm that himself, Mr Brown, if you're reading this thread please do give us your 2p worth.

Mike xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutely load of bolloxs.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

As I seem to have been quoted so much up there just to clarify. I went with the intention of proving my ex gf was wrong in her beliefs this woman had some kind of gift for want of a better word. My own upbringing was extremely religious and it's all something I've long since come to the conclusion is utter claptrap so much so my own mother put me into care because I'd no longer attend the religious events she held so dear. My point was this women had no information on me other than my 1st name. She gave me as much proof as I suppose is possible of her genuineness (Is that a word?) I.e long since gone pet names even there breed. Yes I agree strange way of proving herself but there was more and all completely randem facts nobody but me and my real family could possibly have known. I'm saying all this as a perfectly rashanal bloke with nothing to gain either way. I left her admiting rather freaky house with the same mind set as I have now. Still extremely sceptical but know with a hell of a lot of knolage I simply cannot explain. By far the most shocking to me was her saying and I quote "I can't explain this but I see 2 mothers looking over you" I didn't explain this to her but I knew her meaning. 1 was my biological mother who for many reasons I couldn't stand and hadn't spoke to for over 20 years before she died. The other was the only real mother I had. My eldest sister who had been murdered in a car crash. To this day the biggest loss of my life. If any of you can explain how she could have known any of that please explain it to me.

Reply privately

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

Read a book called The Holographic Universe guys by Michael Talbot ...goes into everything your discussing here

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’d said we weren’t celebrating Xmas this year with losing my brother and this man tonight said your mums said make this the best Christmas ever. "

He could have said this to me and it would have been relevant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't believe in it op and you can gleam lots of information of the internet about people these days and a lot of it is about reading people and asking the right questions ,I bet you volunteered a lot of the information unknowingly,and they observed a lot about u

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry for your loss...unfortunately I also lost my sister in may, aged 39. I really used to want to have an open mind on things...however...I'm really more thinking ALL mediums/psychics have a degree of fakery about them...it's as simple as data collection, body language, good guesswork..and of course a persons already willingness to believe what they need.

I'm pretty sure across the board, throughout history magic has NEVER existed..never been proven, this includes anything religious etc etc....

Nothing 'magical' has ever brought humanity out of being cavemen..it is a simple fact, I might not like it, but that it is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I believe we don't fully understand the capabilities of the human brain. What I can't decide is whether the capabilities we don't understand are ones we have lost or ones we are developing. I'd like to think the latter."

the next step in human brain development will more likely be with a computer chip than a next evolutionary step..then aye..we could claim some degree of a psychic link..but it wont be magical shit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I believe some psychics are real, but the fakes far outweigh the genuine ones.

I could practice psychometry as a child long before I knew it had a name. I thought everyone could do it.

Stopped it when I realised it was a psychic ability.

Not sure if I still can do it tbh.

I've seen ghosts, had premonition dreams, usually when a death is imminent (still do at times) I can read people well, and have told people stuff about themselves.

So yes, I believe psychic ability is there for a select few.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ll believe what I want to believe not what some guy in a dodgy pair of undies tells me to believe. You have no idea what I have seen first hand or witnessed with my own eyes yet you know for a fact that it’s bull shit. I feel sorry for you people with closed minds. I’d never tell anybody that they’re talking shit unless I was there and could say for certain it didn’t happen.

If that makes me closed minded then I wear it with a badge of pride "

So where’s the evidence that ghosts and spirits don’t exist. I’m not aware that anybody has claimed to have proved they don’t just as nobody has proved they do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Would love to believe in something supernatural or greater but evidence needed for me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ll believe what I want to believe not what some guy in a dodgy pair of undies tells me to believe. You have no idea what I have seen first hand or witnessed with my own eyes yet you know for a fact that it’s bull shit. I feel sorry for you people with closed minds. I’d never tell anybody that they’re talking shit unless I was there and could say for certain it didn’t happen.

So where’s the evidence that ghosts and spirits don’t exist. I’m not aware that anybody has claimed to have proved they don’t just as nobody has proved they do."

You can't prove a negative. The laws of thermodynamics are accepted as scientific fact. Ghosts would violate thermodynamics.

That's good enough for me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I believe some psychics are real, but the fakes far outweigh the genuine ones.

I could practice psychometry as a child long before I knew it had a name. I thought everyone could do it.

I've seen ghosts, had premonition dreams, usually when a death is imminent (still do at times) I can read people well, and have told people stuff about themselves.

"

but not one has ever demonstrated it..ever...people have been routinely offered £1m or more cash if they can prove supernatural abilities...now in a world of quite a few billion that claim miracles are real aka jesus...surely these are odds that just cannot hold anything real...

as I say...even looking into the scientific realms of multiple universes etc..nothing appears to have any resemblance to supernatural events.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So where’s the evidence that ghosts and spirits don’t exist. I’m not aware that anybody has claimed to have proved they don’t just as nobody has proved they do."

I suppose people like Richard Dawkins explains these issues..while it might all sound a bit arrogant..I believe its quite right we keep the supernatural to fantasy stories..and yeah, that includes heaven,hell..and pretty much everything else.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So where’s the evidence that ghosts and spirits don’t exist. I’m not aware that anybody has claimed to have proved they don’t just as nobody has proved they do.

You can't prove a negative. The laws of thermodynamics are accepted as scientific fact. Ghosts would violate thermodynamics.

"

Not all that long ago it was scientific fact that the Earth was flat. Some arseholes still think it is. Are you one of them?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not all that long ago it was scientific fact that the Earth was flat. Some arseholes still think it is. Are you one of them?"

nobody has thought the earth was flat for a very very very very long time..and I'm talking ancient greek times. This christopher columbus story has been well disproven. ancient people know the world is round...they just had no clue how big it was...

now...there are people now believing a deception of a global scale now on the shape of the earth though lol

even the bible never said it was flat(as some claim..but that's entirely false also)

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have never had a reading from a Psychic or Medium but know others who go on a monthly basis and live their lives to what they are told. That can never work as the Psychic surely gets to know them and they will be easier to suss out.

On a different but perhaps interesting note, the last lady who was imprisoned in Scotland under the Witchcraft Act was a known Psychic, her name was Helen Duncan. This was in 1944, if interested just google Scotlands last witch and read the article.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Not all that long ago it was scientific fact that the Earth was flat. Some arseholes still think it is. Are you one of them?"

It has never been a scientific fact that the earth is flat.

Scientific facts are observable and repeatable. You can't observe that the earth is flat because it isn't.

I'm sceptical that the population at large thought the world was flat tbh, some simple science points towards the planet being a sphere*

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not all that long ago it was scientific fact that the Earth was flat. Some arseholes still think it is. Are you one of them?

nobody has thought the earth was flat for a very very very very long time..and I'm talking ancient greek times. This christopher columbus story has been well disproven. ancient people know the world is round...they just had no clue how big it was...

now...there are people now believing a deception of a global scale now on the shape of the earth though lol

even the bible never said it was flat(as some claim..but that's entirely false also)

"

In terms of time, Ancient Greece wasn’t all that long ago, that’s what I was getting at. In a few thousand years people could be saying “many years ago they didn’t believe in ghosts, how stupid were they”. Who knows. I can’t say they’re real, I can just go off my own personal experiences, but then you can’t say they’re not real. You can just give your opinion. Neither has any more credibility than the other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It has never been a scientific fact that the earth is flat.

Scientific facts are observable and repeatable. You can't observe that the earth is flat because it isn't.

I'm sceptical that the population at large thought the world was flat tbh, some simple science points towards the planet being a sphere*"

flatness was never really the issue, it was always more about the sun revolving around a very special planet..called earth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In terms of time, Ancient Greece wasn’t all that long ago, that’s what I was getting at. In a few thousand years people could be saying “many years ago they didn’t believe in ghosts, how stupid were they”. Who knows. I can’t say they’re real, I can just go off my own personal experiences, but then you can’t say they’re not real. You can just give your opinion. Neither has any more credibility than the other."

one is a belief..the other is repeated experimental observations..

the credibility I'm afraid really does lie with the latter..but hey thatsmy opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just been to a phychic supper and had 2 readings. Was hoping my brother that passed in June would come through but he didn’t. I was told it’s not enough time since he passed to come to me.

The readings I had were pretty prescise but I’ve come home thinking WTF! If these people are fakes how do they know so much information. "

It's called Cold Reading and it's a trick.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In terms of time, Ancient Greece wasn’t all that long ago, that’s what I was getting at. In a few thousand years people could be saying “many years ago they didn’t believe in ghosts, how stupid were they”. Who knows. I can’t say they’re real, I can just go off my own personal experiences, but then you can’t say they’re not real. You can just give your opinion. Neither has any more credibility than the other."

That's comparing apples and oranges, you can figure out the earth is a sphere using only the human eye and basic understanding of geometry. The evidence is observable and repeatable.

I don't think people are stupid for not believing in Germ Theory when it was first devised because microbes were beyond the technological ability to observe. I think the people who made up whatever they wanted to in the absence of scientific certainty were stupid

Reply privately

By *otwifeHunter808Man
over a year ago

Bury

The prize was given out to a guy called septh ....I belive his technology is the reason why when you think stuff some times it pops up on yr phone ..and stuff like that ..strange but true the mind reading computer

Reply privately

By *otwifeHunter808Man
over a year ago

Bury

The guy who invented the computer that read minds .is now used in technology what u look at what u read etc etc ..have u ever thought of something ..like a new pair of shoes next fucking min new shoes show up on my phone .tho I not looked for them yet .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The guy who invented the computer that read minds .is now used in technology what u look at what u read etc etc ..have u ever thought of something ..like a new pair of shoes next fucking min new shoes show up on my phone .tho I not looked for them yet ."

They're called cookies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The guy who invented the computer that read minds .is now used in technology what u look at what u read etc etc ..have u ever thought of something ..like a new pair of shoes next fucking min new shoes show up on my phone .tho I not looked for them yet .

They're called cookies."

Cookies can’t read thoughts, only your history. The guy said he hadn’t looked for the shoes yet.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The guy who invented the computer that read minds .is now used in technology what u look at what u read etc etc ..have u ever thought of something ..like a new pair of shoes next fucking min new shoes show up on my phone .tho I not looked for them yet .

They're called cookies.

Cookies can’t read thoughts, only your history. The guy said he hadn’t looked for the shoes yet."

Yes, and I didn't believe a word.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're called cookies.

Cookies can’t read thoughts, only your history. The guy said he hadn’t looked for the shoes yet.

Yes, and I didn't believe a word. "

lets get the facts out before we say the computer reads minds..with just this one last paragraph from a little google:

Using algorithms to decode mental images isn’t new. Since 2011, researchers have recreated movie clips, photos, and even dream imagery by matching brain activity to activity recorded earlier when viewing images. But these methods all have their limits: Some deal only with narrow domains like face shape, and others can’t build an image from scratch—instead, they must select from preprogrammed images or categories like “person” or “bird.” This new work can generate recognizable images on the fly and even reproduce shapes that are not seen, but imagined.

Reply privately

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Like you OP I do believe there are some who have ‘the gift’.

A good friend is one of those, she never accepts money but says you are welcome to give her a small gift of appreciation as most of her friends who she does readings for don’t wish to take for nothing.

Another friends who’s father had the gift came to my house many years ago, he felt the presence of previous occupants, I didn’t want to know anymore.

He asked for no payment, just a glass of wine shared between us

Of course there are some who don’t believe and that is their choice, but I wouldn’t feel it’s right to pay extortionate amounts of money to someone who is truly gifted.

Reply privately

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Sorry but I haven’t read every single reply, only about 2/3rds (in case I’ve missed anything previously said) x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thank you everyone that commented. A very mixed bag of responses.

I actually watched the program when Derren Brown did actually expose mediums and also the lottery one when he predicted the numbers.

The 1st guy who did my reading kept going on about a huge clock and an open fire. Didn’t get it until this morning when I walking into the kitchen and noticed a huge clock above the open fire place in the kitchen. Then again, I was wearing a t jacket lastnight so he might of thought I was a country bumpkin, who had an aga and a fireplace in the kitchen. Very intriguing!

Reply privately

By *onyGalWoman
over a year ago

leeds

I once went with my mum and gran when I was a child, before social media, and he identified us as having just lost grandad, a matter of £200 related to it, and described how my sister died and said she was stood there with him and described her perfectly. Also said she moved things around the house, he told us where to find the tv remote and I ran to check when we got home and it was where he had said -under the sofa on the right I couldn’t believe it.

I have seen others who have all been able to tell me about my sisters suicide by overdose, and her age. As well as other things but that is always something they pick up on.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Thank you everyone that commented. A very mixed bag of responses.

I actually watched the program when Derren Brown did actually expose mediums and also the lottery one when he predicted the numbers.

The 1st guy who did my reading kept going on about a huge clock and an open fire. Didn’t get it until this morning when I walking into the kitchen and noticed a huge clock above the open fire place in the kitchen. Then again, I was wearing a t jacket lastnight so he might of thought I was a country bumpkin, who had an aga and a fireplace in the kitchen. Very intriguing! "

I think some people can pick memory up from others somehow.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thank you everyone that commented. A very mixed bag of responses.

The 1st guy who did my reading kept going on about a huge clock and an open fire. Didn’t get it until this morning when I walking into the kitchen and noticed a huge clock above the open fire place in the kitchen. Then again, I was wearing a t jacket lastnight so he might of thought I was a country bumpkin, who had an aga and a fireplace in the kitchen. Very intriguing! "

have you any pictures on social media that might have pictures of this clock?

I can go onto the energysavingstrust website and look at your energy performance certificate if you have one..its as simple as inputting a postcode.. it tells me your house type,fuel used. It is all publicly available info in most cases.

just really putting a few ideas out there though...you really have to think quite deeply how easy it can be for people to get lots of information directly or indirectly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have a private facebook, but I did look lastnight to see if I had pics of that on my page and no I haven’t.

I will chalk it up with one of life’s great mysteries.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have a private facebook, but I did look lastnight to see if I had pics of that on my page and no I haven’t.

I will chalk it up with one of life’s great mysteries. "

well if you're happy enough, fair enough..I'd just detest my nieces and nephews being scammed if they ever wanted such a thing...so much info can be so easily gleamed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In terms of time, Ancient Greece wasn’t all that long ago, that’s what I was getting at. In a few thousand years people could be saying “many years ago they didn’t believe in ghosts, how stupid were they”. Who knows. I can’t say they’re real, I can just go off my own personal experiences, but then you can’t say they’re not real. You can just give your opinion. Neither has any more credibility than the other."

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I've never seen a psychic or anything similar, and am naturally cynical and sceptical about things like that but do believe there is *something* that *some* people are able to tap into - what that *something* is I have no idea - perhaps it's connected with that old phrase about only a small percentage of the brain currently being used and maybe those with the "gift" have a way of delving into parts of it most of us can't.

I remain cynical, but open minded enough to know that some of the responses of this thread show that there are some who go beyond the con artists and charlatans that are out to part vulnerable people who *want* to believe from their money.

Reply privately

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

I believe that it's a bunch of bollocks and they're all immoral con artists praying on peoples hope and insecurities. If you want to know how it's done just watch some derren brown, in one of his live shows he explains exactly how they do it. If not, just Google it, it's all vague suggestions that you latch onto because you want to

Reply privately

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

No don’t think so, mind I need to check my tea leafs to double confirm

Reply privately

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

I go to a spiritualist church occasionally and I am a total believer , its up to each individual at the end of the day and their beliefs , so each to their own x storm x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a believer

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I believe some psychics are real, but the fakes far outweigh the genuine ones.

but not one has ever demonstrated it..ever...people have been routinely offered £1m or more cash if they can prove supernatural abilities...now in a world of quite a few billion that claim miracles are real aka jesus...surely these are odds that just cannot hold anything real...

as I say...even looking into the scientific realms of multiple universes etc..nothing appears to have any resemblance to supernatural events."

I don't care the whys and wherefors, and could not give a hoot who has been offered what for whatever, and not going to try and justify the reasons for refusal to prove.

The above is just my experiences, something that conventional science can't explain.

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".....The 1st guy who did my reading kept going on about a huge clock and an open fire...... "

I imagine that most families will have lived in a house or still live in a house with an open fire and a big clock. So he suggests it and you match it to your life. Like as not when it clicks you smile or five some other signal and the 'psychic' knows that they are on to something. Same as astrology. Keep it general and a bit vague and bob's your uncle. That's very basic stuff, I'm sure that after doing it for a while someone would either be rubbish at it and give up or get better. I suspect some don't even realise what they are doing and honestly believe that they have some special 'gift' but there's simply no repeatable evidence for it. If it's not repeatable then it's no use, there's no way to tell if it was a fluke or random noise or learn from it.

If you're curious and make the effort to visit a psychic why not try testing then. For example put a randomly selected playing card in an envelope, take it with you and ask them what's in the envelope. I imagine most will be greatly offended that your testing them and that psychic powers 'don't work like that' except of course when they do. ... but what other professional would respond like that? Maybe it would be better to ask questions, for example if they are 'talking' with your dead relative ask what date they died, their phone number (this is pleasing me), what date they were married, do go for specifics but ones that won't correlate with their age, gender etc. Their favourite TV programme, color of the living room or model of car are probably fairly predictable based on age and sex, I did just ponder 'worst holiday' but that would clearly be either camping or food poisoning and the location is also probably fairly easy to guess at based on an age and income. I'm starting to think I should get into the business :D

Mike xx

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".... perhaps it's connected with that old phrase about only a small percentage of the brain currently being used ....."

This is nonsense that won't die! Science had a pretty good idea of what most of the brain does and has never suggested that 90% is sitting there doing nothing or something mystical. Evolution would have got rid of it ages ago if it wasn't doing something useful like keeping the owner alive as it consumes a ridiculous amount of energy. I'm pretty sure Wikipedia has something to say on this matter.

Reply privately

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

"I'm a believer "

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer

Not a trace, of doubt in my mind

I'm in love, and I'm a believer

I couldn't leave her if I tried....

Whoops wrong thread.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've never seen a psychic or anything similar, and am naturally cynical and sceptical about things like that but do believe there is *something* that *some* people are able to tap into - what that *something* is I have no idea - perhaps it's connected with that old phrase about only a small percentage of the brain currently being used and maybe those with the "gift" have a way of delving into parts of it most of us can't.

I remain cynical, but open minded enough to know that some of the responses of this thread show that there are some who go beyond the con artists and charlatans that are out to part vulnerable people who *want* to believe from their money."

I haven't read the whole thread but I agree with Gemini. Except I don't put it down to not using all our brain but rather tuning into a deeper knowledge beyond us.

There will be people, and there are some on this thread, who are heavily invested in a "this is all there is" materialist, perhaps atheist, mindset. They quite rightly seek to expose the charlatans and devise ways in which it could be faked. The fundamental flaw in their dogmatic insistence that this sort of oddity can *never* be true, that it must *always* be faked, is that their own "this is all there is" materialist atheist outlook is deeply intellectually compromised and fails to account for a large amount of what our reality is. It is, in essence, just another red herring.

When I was part of a weird meditation group in the US our guru glowed gold. To the materialists this *must* have been a trick. I was drugged, hypnotised, in some way deluded. It *cannot* have been an actual act. The guy *can't* have *actually* glowed gold. What motivates this certainty on an event they didn't witness? Either an emotional need or a total conviction in the materialist atheist mindset which results in an unwillingness to stress test that mindset and ask difficult questions of it. Either points of view undermine the neutral even handed critical thinking that credible rational enquiry into the world demands.

Something is going on in *some* cases. I don't know what it is. But I am willing to allow it the space to exist and be open to it rather than shut it down and deny it based solely on dogma and/or the emotional need for it not to exist

Reply privately

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

".... perhaps it's connected with that old phrase about only a small percentage of the brain currently being used .....

This is nonsense that won't die! Science had a pretty good idea of what most of the brain does and has never suggested that 90% is sitting there doing nothing or something mystical. Evolution would have got rid of it ages ago if it wasn't doing something useful like keeping the owner alive as it consumes a ridiculous amount of energy. I'm pretty sure Wikipedia has something to say on this matter."

Some people are most definitely more in tune with their senses than others. Maybe they are utilising certain areas of the brain that most of us don’t use.

The theory that this is total rubbish is, in my opinion, just that. Total rubbish. If that theory were true how do you explain gut feelings and instinct that some of us feel in Fab about meeting certain people? Sometimes a little nagging sixth sense will tell us that the person isn’t quite right, yet we often can’t pinpoint anything in particular that the person has said or done that makes us feel this way

Reply privately

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

They know nothing. The participants tell them everything via 'cold reading' techniques. People on the whole take from it what they wanted to. If that's some comfort fair enough.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

".... perhaps it's connected with that old phrase about only a small percentage of the brain currently being used .....

This is nonsense that won't die! Science had a pretty good idea of what most of the brain does and has never suggested that 90% is sitting there doing nothing or something mystical. Evolution would have got rid of it ages ago if it wasn't doing something useful like keeping the owner alive as it consumes a ridiculous amount of energy. I'm pretty sure Wikipedia has something to say on this matter.

Some people are most definitely more in tune with their senses than others. Maybe they are utilising certain areas of the brain that most of us don’t use.

The theory that this is total rubbish is, in my opinion, just that. Total rubbish. If that theory were true how do you explain gut feelings and instinct that some of us feel in Fab about meeting certain people? Sometimes a little nagging sixth sense will tell us that the person isn’t quite right, yet we often can’t pinpoint anything in particular that the person has said or done that makes us feel this way"

I think we fail to trust our abilities. That gut feeling is a consequence of picking up through one of our five senses, something that rings alarm bells. A certain look, a type of body language, the way a message is constructed etc. Conning people is easy for some because, greed, desire, loneliness etc are such strong feelings that they override the signals our other senses pick up on and the con artists play in to that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

God, Buddha, Allah, Santa Claus, Spiritualism,The Tooth Fairy, Psychics are all from the same root IMO. Many people need to believe that there is something or someone bigger than them, better than them and more superior to them who looks benevolently down on them offering some sort of protection or escape on a mental level. Whatever you want to call that benefactor, it can never be proved, or disproved and it gives people purpose, and comfort of sorts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".....The 1st guy who did my reading kept going on about a huge clock and an open fire......

I imagine that most families will have lived in a house or still live in a house with an open fire and a big clock. So he suggests it and you match it to your life. Like as not when it clicks you smile or five some other signal and the 'psychic' knows that they are on to something. Same as astrology. Keep it general and a bit vague and bob's your uncle. That's very basic stuff, I'm sure that after doing it for a while someone would either be rubbish at it and give up or get better. I suspect some don't even realise what they are doing and honestly believe that they have some special 'gift' but there's simply no repeatable evidence for it. If it's not repeatable then it's no use, there's no way to tell if it was a fluke or random noise or learn from it.

If you're curious and make the effort to visit a psychic why not try testing then. For example put a randomly selected playing card in an envelope, take it with you and ask them what's in the envelope. I imagine most will be greatly offended that your testing them and that psychic powers 'don't work like that' except of course when they do. ... but what other professional would respond like that? Maybe it would be better to ask questions, for example if they are 'talking' with your dead relative ask what date they died, their phone number (this is pleasing me), what date they were married, do go for specifics but ones that won't correlate with their age, gender etc. Their favourite TV programme, color of the living room or model of car are probably fairly predictable based on age and sex, I did just ponder 'worst holiday' but that would clearly be either camping or food poisoning and the location is also probably fairly easy to guess at based on an age and income. I'm starting to think I should get into the business :D

Mike xx"

You can do my next reading Mike

Also, what are next weeks lotto number please?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Truthfully.,,, I’m totally sceptical, I can’t understand how a select few how such “powers”.

Nonetheless, I do know people who have been blown away by reading etc.

Each to their own. Not for me to rubbish.

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Proof for me would be there would be no such concept as an unsolved murder

There would be no surprise terrorist attacks

Yet the largest suggested proof on this thread so far

Are

She thought I was adopted and I mis read her guess to mean the mother I had nothing to do with really loves me

And

The tv remote was down the side of the sofa

Seriously they are all petty game players

If there was any credible basis for belief the evidence would be vastly different

I usually visit two or three a year on recommendation. So far not one has revealed anything about me

Aw don't the spirits talk when a non believer is present ?

How very convenient

Also why on earth do those who are convinced actually do experiments , put them to the test

Aw don't the spirits talk when put to the test ?

Here's the thing

Sometimes you have been cold read , no harm done an intelligent deduction

However sometimes they know

Now knowing it's not a dead spirit talking , how disgusting is the fact they know such hidden things

What have they had to do to find out

And how manipulative to pretend they are talking to a dead relative

For those who believe , do you ? Really really ? Test them and find out

I doubt anyone would as it truly would bust the bubble of suspended disbelief x

I'll take the Pepsi challenge for any one of alleged genuine readers

Just give the name and contact and I'll test them without their knowledge, which me course would be a test in itself

Can't believe so many people are content to leave it that

Auntie mable randomly tells some humans my most intimate things

Without a few more questions

It is a nasty fact that researchers visit homes, that pockets are picked that phones are hacked , and a fair few other techniques I don't know but many a magician does !

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".... If that theory were true how do you explain gut feelings and instinct that some of us feel in Fab about meeting certain people?......"

Your brain doing what it evolved to do (I subscribe to the theory of evolution) and making a decision based on limited data. I believe that it's generally thought that to sint extent that's what works are for as well. We rarely have enough good information for our choices so nature provided us with a quick and dirty way of coming to a conclusion.

To be fair the term 'gut feeling' isn't too far off, the brain doesn't exist in splendid isolation, it gets lots of chemical feedback from the body which affects it's functioning. I believe that the gut microbiome is being linked with all kinds of interesting mental states including depression and Parkinsons disease.

Physics, biology etc can't explain everything, especial where the universe came from and how the brain works but there are known limits. To argue that because we don't know exactly what's going on means that any old theory is valid is sadly wrong. See the discussion of thermodynamics.

Also there's Ocam's razor: the simplest explication is often the right one. So far as I can see psychical phenomenon often invoke weird and complicated explanations for events that have a relatively simple explanation using conventional science. Especially the afterlife. That's a whole additional realm of existence for which there's no good evidence, just so we don't have to confront our own mortality.

Also. .... our minds are not reliable recording mac_ines. It's well known (to those that follow psychology) that our minds are constantly making stuff up and lying to our consciousness about it. Stuff as simple as patching in visual information whenever we blink or our eyes move. In both cases studies have shown that the mind inserts a 'best guess' add to what should be there while information from the real world isn't available. Our eyes have few colour receptors in the periphery so any apparent colour toy see out of the corner if your eyes is made up by the brain based on what it's already seen. It's amazing, sophisticated and massively disingenuous. For those that wonder what our brains are doing, a good post of it is running the conscious self and then madding up half the world so we can function in it. The best VR is already in your head. Why any one would want more weirdness is beyond me, reality as science sees it is freaky enough :D

Mike xx

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

People have wanted to belief in life after death and people have claimed to be able to contact the dead since the dawn of human history.

And now here we are in the age of reason where people who claim to have that ability could easily demonstrate it under laboratory conditions, becoming world famous thereby in overthrowing all current scientific knowledge and no doubt become incredibly wealthy.

Strangely none of them do that, but limit themselves to appearing on trashy TV shows and in pubs at £10 a pop.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a believer

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer

Not a trace, of doubt in my mind

I'm in love, and I'm a believer

I couldn't leave her if I tried....

Whoops wrong thread..... "

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

" You can do my next reading Mike

Also, what are next weeks lotto number please? "

I'll need a sacrifice and entails for a reading

The lottery numbers will be 1,2,3,...,n where n is the number of numbers needed. Sadly the spirits didn't tell me which week

Mike xx

Reply privately

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

I was psychic as a child, I could even predict the lotto numbers.

As I became older the pressure to predict stressed me out and I lost my powers, now I just second, and tripple guess myself and am full of self doubt about my predictions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've got a Brian who was always kicking a football about!

Wouldn't go home because he would rather stay playing. Some kind of factory behind the field he is in. I get someone shouting at him!

Hmmmmm

Pass

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"Proof for me would be there would be no such concept as an unsolved murder

Are

She thought I was adopted and I mis read her guess to mean the mother I had nothing to do with really loves me

And

If there was any credible basis for belief the evidence would be vastly different

I usually visit two or three a year on recommendation. So far not one has revealed anything about me

How very convenient

Also why on earth do those who are convinced actually do experiments , put them to the test

Here's the thing

Now knowing it's not a dead spirit talking , how disgusting is the fact they know such hidden things

Just give the name and contact and I'll test them without their knowledge, which me course would be a test in itself

It is a nasty fact that researchers visit homes, that pockets are picked that phones are hacked , and a fair few other techniques I don't know but many a magician does !

"

I'll add my own challenge.

Name any psychic in the London area who you think is genuine. I will go and see them and ask them five questions we agree between us. If they get three right I pay you an agreed sum. If they don't you pay the psychics fee.

Anyone up for it, pm me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've got a Brian who was always kicking a football about!

Wouldn't go home because he would rather stay playing. Some kind of factory behind the field he is in. I get someone shouting at him!

Hmmmmm

Pass"

Oh and a 'Steff' not Stephanie!

Wtf

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Proof for me would be there would be no such concept as an unsolved murder

Are

And

How very convenient

Here's the thing

I'll add my own challenge.

Name any psychic in the London area who you think is genuine. I will go and see them and ask them five questions we agree between us. If they get three right I pay you an agreed sum. If they don't you pay the psychics fee.

Anyone up for it, pm me.

"

Reply privately

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

I guess you could say that I do believe in it. However, my perspective on this is from a scientific perspective.

I could go into great detail in relation to this but to simplify it I believe there's more than one plane on which many forms of life can live in one location but go unseen to one another due to factors such as the malleability of time and matter itself.

Essentially I think of it like a frequency. If you tune into one radio station you have clarity so long as you're one the correct frequency, you switch to another and you get the same result. Now when you tune in between the two frequencies you get static but you can also listen to both at the same time.

We are always taught that if something is outside our realms of possibility then it's 'your mind playing tricks on you' or something of the likes. Now it has been proven that there's a small volume of the body that disappears upon death but cannot be accounted for through our current understanding. Also the brain itself is still rather undiscovered in relative terms. We can walk into a room and sense an atmosphere through our subconscious picking up on chemicals in the air. Much like an ants form of communication. Other animals know when a female is ready to mate through pheromones. Most animals have this ability there's no doubt in my mind we have a lot of things we are yet to discover about our own potential.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I guess you could say that I do believe in it. However, my perspective on this is from a scientific perspective.

I could go into great detail in relation to this but to simplify it I believe there's more than one plane on which many forms of life can live in one location but go unseen to one another due to factors such as the malleability of time and matter itself.

Essentially I think of it like a frequency. If you tune into one radio station you have clarity so long as you're one the correct frequency, you switch to another and you get the same result. Now when you tune in between the two frequencies you get static but you can also listen to both at the same time.

We are always taught that if something is outside our realms of possibility then it's 'your mind playing tricks on you' or something of the likes. Now it has been proven that there's a small volume of the body that disappears upon death but cannot be accounted for through our current understanding. Also the brain itself is still rather undiscovered in relative terms. We can walk into a room and sense an atmosphere through our subconscious picking up on chemicals in the air. Much like an ants form of communication. Other animals know when a female is ready to mate through pheromones. Most animals have this ability there's no doubt in my mind we have a lot of things we are yet to discover about our own potential. "

the whole souls thing was early last century, it appeared to work on 6 or so patients..other doctors agreed on the findings...then he tried it on dogs..and concluded they had no souls..........anyway, he then went onto photographing the escaping souls of other patients..which never yielded any results.....

its a bit hit n myth to be honest....much like that 10% of the brain used one...

So its an old experiment and I cant see anyone else having replicated it in over a hundred years...hardly scientific, especially with modern day technology now and no results.

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

".... Now it has been proven that there's a small volume of the body that disappears upon death but cannot be accounted for through our current understanding. ..... "

21 grammes I believe. There's a Brazilian film with that title because of the idea. However people have weighted bodies before and after death and in fact there was no 'mysterious' weight loss to be found. I dare say that there are many pages on the internet claiming otherwise but there is a lot of tosh on the internet. :D

Mike xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

".... Now it has been proven that there's a small volume of the body that disappears upon death but cannot be accounted for through our current understanding. .....

21 grammes I believe. There's a Brazilian film with that title because of the idea. However people have weighted bodies before and after death and in fact there was no 'mysterious' weight loss to be found. I dare say that there are many pages on the internet claiming otherwise but there is a lot of tosh on the internet. :D

Mike xx"

as above lol..

this is an unfortunate side of science and cherry picking that some do(I dont believe the owner of the statement meant it of course)...but give any story some scientific premise, you really have to research it, plus as it is a almost an age old myth..it could be spread as a truth now..giving people that hope that things do go on even after death etc..or some stories where psychics helped police in murders etc etc

Reply privately

By *VBethTV/TS
over a year ago

Chester

Nobody has ever proved the existence of any God. Why has nobody asked if the people they contact are in heaven or hell?

If it could be definitely answered it would change the world. Surely anyone with psychic talent would be desperate to prove it in front of tv cameras for the world to see? Most of them use the tricks shown on that exposed tv show years ago to generalise enough to make people believe. To research backgrounds of people. Even a phone number can give them a starting point.

Prove beyond doubt to a mass audience that it's possible and I'll believe, until then.... charlatans the lot of them.

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"....I guess you could say that I do believe in it. However, my perspective on this is from a scientific perspective....."

Science uses the twin pillars of empirical evidence and reproducibility. Using scientific words isn't enough on its own to make something scientific. While it's possible to be cross with science for requiring scientific methodology it's to miss the point of science. Without the method you have madness, or at least fantasy. I think you only have to look at the ~7000 years of blind faith versus the ~200 years of the formal scientific method to notice a difference in results.

Mike xx

Reply privately

By *aymCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"the whole souls thing was early last century, it appeared to work on 6 or so patients..other doctors agreed on the findings...then he tried it on dogs..and concluded they had no souls..........anyway, he then went onto photographing the escaping souls of other patients..which never yielded any results....."

My brain has claimed to remember some more about it now that you've given it a stir. It was ages ago, maybe the 19th century? I don't think the enormous and crude balance that was used was capable of the accuracy needed for about an ounce (as was) and if it was only 6 people I imagine the error bars would have been big enough to show the bodies gaining mass at death

I'm pretty sure it's been repeated with more modern equipment and nothing was found.

All kneel before the alter of mighty science! lol

It is my hobby horse, apologies for the long winded posts.

Has anyone noticed how we're all partaking of the fruits of scientific endeavour for this discussion and not using telepathy? I am right about that? I suppose my brain might be misleading me Matrix stye..... dammit bob, where are my pills?

Mike xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"the whole souls thing was early last century, it appeared to work on 6 or so patients..other doctors agreed on the findings...then he tried it on dogs..and concluded they had no souls..........anyway, he then went onto photographing the escaping souls of other patients..which never yielded any results.....

My brain has claimed to remember some more about it now that you've given it a stir. It was ages ago, maybe the 19th century? I don't think the enormous and crude balance that was used was capable of the accuracy needed for about an ounce (as was) and if it was only 6 people I imagine the error bars would have been big enough to show the bodies gaining mass at death

I'm pretty sure it's been repeated with more modern equipment and nothing was found.

All kneel before the alter of mighty science! lol

It is my hobby horse, apologies for the long winded posts.

Has anyone noticed how we're all partaking of the fruits of scientific endeavour for this discussion and not using telepathy? I am right about that? I suppose my brain might be misleading me Matrix stye..... dammit bob, where are my pills?

Mike xx"

Ive been watching a load of coolhardlogic videos on youtube..mainly anti-flatearth stuff..but it's hilarious

Reply privately

By *andlingswingersCouple
over a year ago

Woodbridge

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 22:19:05]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Houdini disproved this over 100yrs ago

Reply privately

By *hechapMan
over a year ago

Derry

They are total conn-men and conn-woman who make their living from people who are a bit vunerable and somewhat gulliable....

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

This is nonsense that won't die! Science had a pretty good idea of what most of the brain does and has never suggested that 90% is sitting there doing nothing or something mystical. Evolution would have got rid of it ages ago if it wasn't doing something useful like keeping the owner alive as it consumes a ridiculous amount of energy. I'm pretty sure Wikipedia has something to say on this matter."

That's why I used the word "perhaps" to pretext my sentence, and made it clear in my wider post that I remain cynical but open minded - the fact of the matter is we don't KNOW beyond reasonable doubt in some cases, you yourselves stating "Science had a pretty good idea of what most of the brain does" backs that up by using the word "most" which means "not all".

So whilst there are still unexplained and unexplainable phenomena I'll remain an open minded cynic

That said, many of the so called psychics and seers etc are indeed charlatans and comment out to make a fast buck off of vulnerable and willing believers, but whilst there are some that aren't or haven't been proved to be I'll remain open minded.

Reply privately

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

No all charlatans

Reply privately

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Next time someone goes to one if these meetings with a medium, secretly record it. Then play it back to yourself the next day. Tally up just how many "hits" and "misses" they get. You will also see how they home in on any positive answers you give them. If they truly are psychic, why all the questions and open ended statements?

One famous psychic (Doris Stokes I think) was performing in a large venue when she got stung by an audience member. Her cold reading techniques led her down the path that ended with something like "your fathers at peace now and wants you to know he's happy blah blah blah".

She was then told he was alive and well and sitting next to the person asking the questions. The show ended there and then. Seems to be a "psychic" can be fooled just as easily as a punter if you put the same effort in as they do.

Reply privately

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

There are no psychics. They can simply be dismissed. To rebutt the above, simply prove otherwise under laboratory conditions. $1m awaits you at the James Randi institute if you can.

Reply privately

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

My psychic sense is telling me that I’m not going to be inboxed today by the offer of woman wanting to rip my clothes off and ride me till I’m spent....

Though science my prove me wrong.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

The one thing that did puzzle me was he claimed there were no evil spirits and this was made up by the church to frighten us. Apparently we only encounter good spirits.

Anyway, still sitting on the fence with this one

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The one thing that did puzzle me was he claimed there were no evil spirits and this was made up by the church to frighten us. Apparently we only encounter good spirits.

Anyway, still sitting on the fence with this one "

A lot of things were made up by the church to frighten us but humans have always been afraid of "evil".

Reply privately

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

"....I guess you could say that I do believe in it. However, my perspective on this is from a scientific perspective.....

Science uses the twin pillars of empirical evidence and reproducibility. Using scientific words isn't enough on its own to make something scientific. While it's possible to be cross with science for requiring scientific methodology it's to miss the point of science. Without the method you have madness, or at least fantasy. I think you only have to look at the ~7000 years of blind faith versus the ~200 years of the formal scientific method to notice a difference in results.

Mike xx"

disprove the concept of dark matter to me and explain why there are galaxies that defy the laws of physics. We live in a universe that can bend light, where wormholes can take entire systems and send them into the unknown essentially. But the concept of a person having a soul and taking a new form or that soul having a secondary purpose in the universe is unfathomable? Formal scientific methods haven't proved dark matter as of yet. Equally it can't provide any answers as to why things can behave outside our grasp of physics. Where does that leave us? Surely it is blind faith that there's a scientific reason behind these physic defying instances.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"....I guess you could say that I do believe in it. However, my perspective on this is from a scientific perspective.....

Mike xx disprove the concept of dark matter to me and explain why there are galaxies that defy the laws of physics. We live in a universe that can bend light, where wormholes can take entire systems and send them into the unknown essentially. But the concept of a person having a soul and taking a new form or that soul having a secondary purpose in the universe is unfathomable? Formal scientific methods haven't proved dark matter as of yet. Equally it can't provide any answers as to why things can behave outside our grasp of physics. Where does that leave us? Surely it is blind faith that there's a scientific reason behind these physic defying instances.

"

The problem, as I say above, is that ever since the dawn of history, there have been literally millions of claims by people that they have communicated with the souls of the dead.

If any of those claims were true, it would now be possible to prove them to be true in the same way that one can now prove it is possible to instantly communicate with someone thousands of miles away.

The fact that one of these millions of claims have ever been scientifically confirmed makes it highly likely that souls that survive death and communicate with the living do not exist.

Reply privately

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

Mike xx disprove the concept of dark matter to me and explain why there are galaxies that defy the laws of physics. We live in a universe that can bend light, where wormholes can take entire systems and send them into the unknown essentially. But the concept of a person having a soul and taking a new form or that soul having a secondary purpose in the universe is unfathomable? Formal scientific methods haven't proved dark matter as of yet. Equally it can't provide any answers as to why things can behave outside our grasp of physics. Where does that leave us? Surely it is blind faith that there's a scientific reason behind these physic defying instances.

The problem, as I say above, is that ever since the dawn of history, there have been literally millions of claims by people that they have communicated with the souls of the dead.

If any of those claims were true, it would now be possible to prove them to be true in the same way that one can now prove it is possible to instantly communicate with someone thousands of miles away.

The fact that one of these millions of claims have ever been scientifically confirmed makes it highly likely that souls that survive death and communicate with the living do not exist. "

It's a bit different. You're relating a mobile phone to an interdimensional form of contact. To which the technology isn't available

Reply privately

over a year ago

The fact that one of these millions of claims have ever been scientifically confirmed makes it highly likely that souls that survive death and communicate with the living do not exist.

It's a bit different. You're relating a mobile phone to an interdimensional form of contact. To which the technology isn't available "

I hear Apple are working on that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Things happen which can’t be explained by science. Of course, people will always find a way to scoff at what people say they have seen or witnessed. Several things have happened to me which there is no explanation for. The most recent being, well I’ll tell you a story, I’ll try and keep it brief.

Me and my ex split up for reasons that shouldn’t have mattered but they did, let’s just say the timing was wrong. I was gutted, as was she. Anyways, my good mate died in his 30’s of a stroke, I have a photo of him on my fire place which has been there for about 7 years. I hadn’t heard from my ex for 2 years but I have kept myself single in the hope that, now I have sorted out my end of the issues, she will come back to me. Now, I often looked at my mates photo and asked for help getting her back, I did this for the two years we had been parted, on this particular day, a Tuesday I again asked for his help as I walked past his photo, the photo flew off the fire place and came apart at my feet, no damage it just came apart. I picked it up, put it back together and then tried to make it fall again, I pushed it, nudged it but all I could make it do was fall flat on the fire place. This was on Tuesday, on the Thursday I got a text out of the blue from my ex, after chatting a while she told me she’d got the urge to get in touch on Tuesday but she bottled out. This ex didn’t know my dead mate, she’d never met him and knew nothing about him.

I went to see her that night, spent a good few hours with her when all of a sudden the corner of the room next to me went icy cold, I looked for somewhere a draught could come from but there wasn’t one, she told me not to worry but we had a visitor, she described a tall thin man, waving a single crutch and showing her a gold signet ring. This ex was the one I mentioned earlier who goes to psychic class, or spooky class as she calls it.

My mate who died used a single crutch after a knee replacement and he wore a gold signet ring, when I told her this she just shrugged and said yeah that’s him and carried on watching the film. There’s a lot more to it but that’s about the jist of it.

Now I’m not a gullible fella but things like this make you think “what if”.

Reply privately

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

I went to see Sally morgan on tour ..... painfully embarrassing as she went round the crowd. ... trying to get interaction..... it was a stage show.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

It's a bit different. You're relating a mobile phone to an interdimensional form of contact. To which the technology isn't available "

People who say they can communicate with the souls of the dead are making an empirical claim in the same way that someone who is in London is making an empirical claim when they say they can communicate instantly with someone in Australia.

The latter is amenable to scientific testing and I can't see any reason why the former isn't.

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

There are different levels of paranormal activity, poltergeists are one of them seen and proven in a lot of homes because they hang around when many don,t.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a bit different. You're relating a mobile phone to an interdimensional form of contact. To which the technology isn't available

People who say they can communicate with the souls of the dead are making an empirical claim in the same way that someone who is in London is making an empirical claim when they say they can communicate instantly with someone in Australia.

The latter is amenable to scientific testing and I can't see any reason why the former isn't. "

I think revelatory knowledge is a very different and unreliable beast compared to human reason. It is often either completely wrong, utterly misinterpreted, or just surreal and opaque. I also don't know how much it applies to anything beyond the personal.

The reason for this is because it doesn't come from us. It is as if the brain is a radio that we've used to tune out of the usual radio stations and into some obscure foreign encoded stream of specialist information. We pick up snippets.

All this might sound like a cop out. But it's basically a core part of what it is. I think some "psychics" start off with a talent for tuning into this weird other signal. But then lose it and essentially start bluffing it to try and cover their loss of signal. I think this other signal is exactly the same as intuition, inspiration, divining, sensing, and mystical experiences. I'm probably quite receptive as I've had many "psychic" type experiences. I was also a natural when I did a divining class. Hence why I think it's all the same thing; tuning into another source of knowledge. It largely comes down to hearing that inner intuitive voice. But what it comes back with can sometimes be very odd.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

The latter is amenable to scientific testing and I can't see any reason why the former isn't.

I think revelatory knowledge is a very different and unreliable beast compared to human reason. It is often either completely wrong, utterly misinterpreted, or just surreal and opaque. I also don't know how much it applies to anything beyond the personal.

The reason for this is because it doesn't come from us. It is as if the brain is a radio that we've used to tune out of the usual radio stations and into some obscure foreign encoded stream of specialist information. We pick up snippets.

All this might sound like a cop out. But it's basically a core part of what it is. I think some "psychics" start off with a talent for tuning into this weird other signal. But then lose it and essentially start bluffing it to try and cover their loss of signal. I think this other signal is exactly the same as intuition, inspiration, divining, sensing, and mystical experiences. I'm probably quite receptive as I've had many "psychic" type experiences. I was also a natural when I did a divining class. Hence why I think it's all the same thing; tuning into another source of knowledge. It largely comes down to hearing that inner intuitive voice. But what it comes back with can sometimes be very odd."

People can and do have all sorts of thoughts in their heads, but if you say "I am communicating with your uncle Harold who died in 2010", you are just as much making a claim about external reality as someone who says. "I am talking to your very much alive Australian aunt freda on the phone". The phone claim can easily be demonstrated as true, the communication with the dead claim has never been demonstrated as true despite the very many people who have claimed to do it.

Hence it's very likely such communication is not possible.

Reply privately

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

I predict this thread is about to end

Reply privately

over a year ago

How wrong were you then