Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Radio 2

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So now that Zoe Ball has been confirmed to be taking over from Chris Evans, who should Radio 2 get rid of next? My candidates would be:

Jeremy Vine (so far up his own a** he can’t see any light)

Steve Wright (stuck in the 70’s, still using the same scripts, repetitive and boring)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Should have gone to sarah cox

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Completely agree on those two.

Jeremy Vine was seen as a breath of fresh air after Jimmy Young’s departure. Now he’s just some kind of Jeremy Kyle wannabe.

Steve Right and his “posse” are self flagellating, tedious and out of touch.

Bring back The Dark Lord, Alex Lester

I’m also going to suggest an interesting double act: Robert Peston and Eddie Mair. Their performances on “sensible” Radio 4 is a joy to hear

over a year ago

Couldn't care less,I never listen to the BBC these days, too many decent indie stations out there.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I thought Eddie Mair left radio 4.

I like Steve Wright, I quite like Jeremy Vine but I don't like the phone in style of his show so I don't listen. As for Zoe Ball I think she's an improvement on Chris Evans but lets face it, a pig's bladder on a stick would be.

I would listen to more independent stations but I can't abide the repetitive adverts.

By *ockman3858Man
over a year ago

didcot

Listen to absolute radio the best station

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I like a mix of current affairs, drama, music and magazine style programs. Where can I get all of that? Is there a radio 4 style independent station?

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I lost faith in Radio 1 not long after they said along the lines of 'if your over 30 change channels'.

Jeremy Vine comes across rude when interviewing.

Moira Stewart just puts a fake laugh on sounding like Frank Bruno.

I can't stand DJs who feel the need to keep telling us about last night or last weekend. It's as if they think these things only happen in their lives. Zoe Ball and Sara Cox do this more than anyone else.

Ken Bruce is alright and I used to enjoy pop master.

Mayo is not as bad as he used to be. But I can't stand him and Mark Comode together banging on about films.

Grimshaws voice went through me so I'm glad he's out the way till 4th.

I'm such a grumpy twat. All of this makes me stick to playing my own music.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"So now that Zoe Ball has been confirmed to be taking over from Chris Evans, who should Radio 2 get rid of next? My candidates would be:

Steve Wright (stuck in the 70’s, still using the same scripts, repetitive and boring)

"

Agree 100% on Steve Wright - it's like some kind of time warp!

Wish Sara Cox had got the breakfast gig, but Zoe a HUGE step up on Evans, imho.

By *irthandgirthMan
over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Steve Wright has had the same show since 1983. Jeremy Vine is almost a parody of himself-introduce a topic, then get 2 people who are on polar opposites on the topic to rant at each other. I only listen to Simon Mayo for the confessions and the Muppet song on a Friday teatime. Sarah Cox over Zoe Ball any day of rhe week. I find Zoe very sycophantic.

And can someone please tell Lisa Tarbuck she isn't funny. Her dad stopped being funny in 1985 and she is no better.

I could listen to popmaster all day though

By *irthandgirthMan
over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

"Listen to absolute radio the best station"

Absolute Radio. The same songs every day in a slightly different order

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"I like a mix of current affairs, drama, music and magazine style programs. Where can I get all of that? Is there a radio 4 style independent station?"

Lots of people moving from radio 4 due to political bias.

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

I'm still waiting for the valves to warm up

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"I'm still waiting for the valves to warm up "

Is that a euphemism?

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

"I'm still waiting for the valves to warm up

Is that a euphemism?"

hehehe.. wasn't meant to be ...but hey

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

"I thought Eddie Mair left radio 4.

I like Steve Wright, I quite like Jeremy Vine but I don't like the phone in style of his show so I don't listen. As for Zoe Ball I think she's an improvement on Chris Evans but lets face it, a pig's bladder on a stick would be.

I would listen to more independent stations but I can't abide the repetitive adverts."

Eddie Meir is on LBC weekdays 4-6 pm

Top presenter, thought him replacing Iain Dale was not gonna be a good move, but he has a certain dryness that is addictive listening.

Sara Cox would have been my choice too.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Is that a euphemism?

hehehe.. wasn't meant to be ...but hey "

Go digital Lily. It has reached Devon I think although it drifts in and out on the road from M5 to Barnstaple.

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

Is that a euphemism?

hehehe.. wasn't meant to be ...but hey

Go digital Lily. It has reached Devon I think although it drifts in and out on the road from M5 to Barnstaple."

Yeah But I'm in Cornwall

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I like a mix of current affairs, drama, music and magazine style programs. Where can I get all of that? Is there a radio 4 style independent station?

Lots of people moving from radio 4 due to political bias."

But where are they moving to?

over a year ago

Probably going to get slammed here but, I really enjoy listening to Tony Blackburn’s Golden Hour on a Friday night, he could give Steve Wright lessons on how to present. Also really like Johnnie Walkers’s Sounds of the Seventies on a Sunday afternoon. Both from Steve Wrights era but far better quality presenters

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

[Removed by poster at 03/10/18 12:37:58]

By *rscotsdudeMan
over a year ago

angus

When I have up on Radio 1 years ago I could never face Radio 2 because of Steve Wright!

Now if they could get Mark and lard back together and on Radio 2 I would be in heaven! The laughs I had listening to them when working long hours at harvest time.

Anybody remember missing words??

Simple red...changing money to tight to mention....to fanny to tight to mention!?

Not sure how they got away with half the stuff but I'm glad they did

Stop.........carry on

over a year ago

I like radio that is mostly music, with very little talking.

The only radio station I listen to on my own in a car is Classic FM.

I can't stand the witterings of DJs.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"I like a mix of current affairs, drama, music and magazine style programs. Where can I get all of that? Is there a radio 4 style independent station?

Lots of people moving from radio 4 due to political bias."

I’m stuck with R4 until I find a better option as mentioned above.

There are podcasts afoot that seem to offer the format. They are however also from BBC so could include some bias.

I’ve even found myself listening to the world service. Lots of fascinating insights into world affairs generally unreported elsewhere.

over a year ago

Lots of people moving from radio 4 due to political bias.

I’m stuck with R4 until I find a better option as mentioned above.

There are podcasts afoot that seem to offer the format. They are however also from BBC so could include some bias.

I’ve even found myself listening to the world service. Lots of fascinating insights into world affairs generally unreported elsewhere. "

There are so many podcasts out there worldwide - you really don’t need to rely on the bbc.

In a way I’m glad it’s a female presenter but I’m not a fan of Zoe ball at all - Evans is a complete twat but he’s rarely sycophantic and boy can he run a show.

The people I listen to more are Cerys Matthews, Gilles Peterson, on 6 music and tony Blackburn on Friday nights (mad as a fruitcake).

Liza tarbuck makes me switch channels immediately even to Craig Charles where the music is great but I don’t know who or what he is trying to be.

The one person who should have got the job is Claudia winkleman - listen to her show and you’ll see what I mean

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Swap Jeremy Vine for Tommy Boyd.

over a year ago

Great thread. Watching with interest.

over a year ago

I’m sure the ratings will show how popular the breakfast show will be without chris and with Zoe instead.

I suspect I’ll retune.

I can’t stand adverts otherwise I’d listen to local radio or smooth.

over a year ago

"So now that Zoe Ball has been confirmed to be taking over from Chris Evans, who should Radio 2 get rid of next? My candidates would be:

"

Yeah, cause Zoe Balls on the cutting edge. Just goes to show the cupboard is bare if she’s the best one for the job. I wouldn’t say Jeremy Vine is up his ass, but his programme is formulaic, basically get two people who disagree on something and let them go at each other, ad nauseum.

Steve Wright is stuck in the 80’s, Bob Harris has got the 70’s covered. His mate Tim should tell him to fuck off, next time he’s being snide on air to him again.

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Chris .. Who.... !!! Don’t listen to Radio 2

If I want in-depth news and analysis it has to be Radio 4 with Radio 6 Music for music...

By *unshine05Man
over a year ago

Sherborne

Serious jockin no g

over a year ago

"Chris .. Who.... !!! Don’t listen to Radio 2

If I want in-depth news and analysis it has to be Radio 4 with Radio 6 Music for music...

"

There’s only so much 6 music I can listen to, before I’m done with right on, so hip it hurts, softly spoken DJs. First sound of jazz and I’m out of there, only Jamie Callum and Giles Peterson like that shit.

over a year ago

There’s only so much 6 music I can listen to, before I’m done with right on, so hip it hurts, softly spoken DJs. First sound of jazz and I’m out of there, only Jamie Callum and Giles Peterson like that shit."

Ha you’re such a country boy - jazz is the thing right now - thundercat, Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington, Snarky puppy and that’s just last years thing - get up to speed young man or stick to taking the dog for a walk and watching the coos (cows FYI) go by!

over a year ago

"Swap Jeremy Vine for Tommy Boyd. "

Who’s he?

By *unknSoulCouple
over a year ago

Dumfriesish see

About time they realised their nothing more than background music for our entertainment.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Swap Jeremy Vine for Tommy Boyd.

Who’s he?"

Only the best damn broadcaster of the modern age! In my opinion.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

There’s only so much 6 music I can listen to, before I’m done with right on, so hip it hurts, softly spoken DJs. First sound of jazz and I’m out of there, only Jamie Callum and Giles Peterson like that shit.

Ha you’re such a country boy - jazz is the thing right now - thundercat, Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington, Snarky puppy and that’s just last years thing - get up to speed young man or stick to taking the dog for a walk and watching the coos (cows FYI) go by! "

I do listen to 6 music, but generally speaking, I can't abide jazz.

It's the sound you get when you kick a one-man-band down the stairs....

over a year ago

Jeremy Vine and the Vanessa Feltz.

But keep Ken Bruce but I fear his days are numbered.

By *actilemale4uMan
over a year ago

London

Steve wright up his own rectum boring doing same show 35 years ago

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

Radio 2 is doomed if it carries on the way it's going, as a result of the May shake up they ruined Simon Mayos' Drive time show by getting rid of the established and love team and pairing him up with Jo Whiley, Simon is now leaving, Evens (love him or hate him) is going, who's going to be next and as for the music, half of the music on the core playlist is aimed at 12 year old girls. What happened to them playing grown up music to adults? Yes they have been told by OFCOM that they must play more new music but do they really have to take the inane auto tuned to death generic crap from the Radio 1 playlist, wh can't they champion new singer/songwriters, bands and singer doing original music for grown ups?

By *eeBee67Man
over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Vanessa Feltz. She is the only reason I switch the radio off in my car.

Jeremy Vine, would be better if he actually listened to what people were saying and had a clue what was happening outside London.

Love radio 2 though.

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"Vanessa Feltz. She is the only reason I switch the radio off in my car.

Jeremy Vine, would be better if he actually listened to what people were saying and had a clue what was happening outside London.

Love radio 2 though."

Steve Wright used to be the only thing that would have me reaching for the off button, now it's the crap music from the current charts that the play.

over a year ago

So this has all come about because the government forced the beeb to reveal what presenters who were directly employed by the bbc were earning. Commercial stations took a look and said to the likes of Evans and Mair, why don’t you bring your highly successful shows to us and we will pay you loads more. If the beeb hadn’t been forced to reveal what are essentially commercial secrets the shake up would not be happening and unfortunately they don’t have enough new talent coming through to fill the gaps so hence the likes of Zoe ball being given the breakfast show when she is really quite weak as a presenter - Sara cox is better but annoys a lot of people and there is a discontinuity between radio1 and 2 which means the passage of djs from youth to middle age does not happen anymore. Craig Charles may well end up in the afternoon slot once wrighty is pensioned off and if they had any sense they would get Claudia winkleman to take a prime slot. Amal rajan? Could easily take over vines slot but I think he’s got much bigger ambitions.

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"So this has all come about because the government forced the beeb to reveal what presenters who were directly employed by the bbc were earning. Commercial stations took a look and said to the likes of Evans and Mair, why don’t you bring your highly successful shows to us and we will pay you loads more. If the beeb hadn’t been forced to reveal what are essentially commercial secrets the shake up would not be happening and unfortunately they don’t have enough new talent coming through to fill the gaps so hence the likes of Zoe ball being given the breakfast show when she is really quite weak as a presenter - Sara cox is better but annoys a lot of people and there is a discontinuity between radio1 and 2 which means the passage of djs from youth to middle age does not happen anymore. Craig Charles may well end up in the afternoon slot once wrighty is pensioned off and if they had any sense they would get Claudia winkleman to take a prime slot. Amal rajan? Could easily take over vines slot but I think he’s got much bigger ambitions. "

Partly and when they renewed their broadcasting license last year, OFCOM said they needed to be more diverse and also play more new music, hence the crap music they are now playing and the Drive Time show shake up since May

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

"

Both please!!!

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"So this has all come about because the government forced the beeb to reveal what presenters who were directly employed by the bbc were earning. Commercial stations took a look and said to the likes of Evans and Mair, why don’t you bring your highly successful shows to us and we will pay you loads more. If the beeb hadn’t been forced to reveal what are essentially commercial secrets the shake up would not be happening and unfortunately they don’t have enough new talent coming through to fill the gaps so hence the likes of Zoe ball being given the breakfast show when she is really quite weak as a presenter - Sara cox is better but annoys a lot of people and there is a discontinuity between radio1 and 2 which means the passage of djs from youth to middle age does not happen anymore. Craig Charles may well end up in the afternoon slot once wrighty is pensioned off and if they had any sense they would get Claudia winkleman to take a prime slot. Amal rajan? Could easily take over vines slot but I think he’s got much bigger ambitions. "

"Big Names" play the most shite anyway. Look at the likes of Chris Evans, the best bits of his programme were when he wasn't talking.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I would have preferred Sara Cox to Zoe Ball.

over a year ago

Agree 100% on Steve Wright - it's like some kind of time warp!

Wish Sara Cox had got the breakfast gig, but Zoe a HUGE step up on Evans, imho."

Sarah Cox just talks about herself

over a year ago

"Radio 2 is doomed if it carries on the way it's going, as a result of the May shake up they ruined Simon Mayos' Drive time show by getting rid of the established and love team and pairing him up with Jo Whiley, Simon is now leaving, Evens (love him or hate him) is going, who's going to be next and as for the music, half of the music on the core playlist is aimed at 12 year old girls. What happened to them playing grown up music to adults? Yes they have been told by OFCOM that they must play more new music but do they really have to take the inane auto tuned to death generic crap from the Radio 1 playlist, wh can't they champion new singer/songwriters, bands and singer doing original music for grown ups? "

By *eviationMan
over a year ago

Brynamman

Chris Moyles is the one

Funny ireverent rude lude quite simply BRILLIANT lol

By *lsieWoman
over a year ago

where ever

"Should have gone to sarah cox"
Agreed .

Anybody listening to a different radio station ?

By *lsieWoman
over a year ago

where ever

"Probably going to get slammed here but, I really enjoy listening to Tony Blackburn’s Golden Hour on a Friday night, he could give Steve Wright lessons on how to present. Also really like Johnnie Walkers’s Sounds of the Seventies on a Sunday afternoon. Both from Steve Wrights era but far better quality presenters "

over a year ago

"I would have preferred Sara Cox to Zoe Ball. "

Totally agree. Sara Cox is so funny. X

over a year ago

I can't stand the BBC, radio it TV but still have to pay the licence fee, there must be a way round that in this day and age

over a year ago

"Radio 2 is doomed if it carries on the way it's going, as a result of the May shake up they ruined Simon Mayos' Drive time show by getting rid of the established and love team and pairing him up with Jo Whiley, Simon is now leaving, Evens (love him or hate him) is going, who's going to be next and as for the music, half of the music on the core playlist is aimed at 12 year old girls. What happened to them playing grown up music to adults? Yes they have been told by OFCOM that they must play more new music but do they really have to take the inane auto tuned to death generic crap from the Radio 1 playlist, wh can't they champion new singer/songwriters, bands and singer doing original music for grown ups? "

When they changed the drive time show and brought in Jo Wiley I stopped listening to it as can’t stand her don’t know why

Steve Wright gets on my tits so listen to mp3’s When he is on, Craig Charles was a good replacement

Ken Bruce is good for a laugh mid morning and of corse pop master

I like the Jeremy Vine show especially when they have the less tasteless subject on or some idiot who rings in but does not really know what he is trying to say

Can’t stand radio 1 but then I’m not the target audience

over a year ago

Radio 2 messed up years ago getting rid off Janice Long and Alex Lester.

They were great for night shifts.

OJ Borg is ok but after 3am its repeats.

Heart is worse

Radio 5 is ok

Maybe getting old but sometimes listen to Radio 4 xtra and the comedy on there.

over a year ago

Well the answer is Simon Mayo.......no surprises, he was doing well until....

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Have you seen Steve Wright's wages for that dross he puts out.

over a year ago

"Have you seen Steve Wright's wages for that dross he puts out. "

Steve Wright justbspeaks and laughs at the same time for no apparent reason

over a year ago

Be interesting to see which radio station simon mayo goes. Shame i loved drive time (original format)

over a year ago

"Be interesting to see which radio station simon mayo goes. Shame i loved drive time (original format)"

So did I, especially a Friday. It’s rumoured he’s going to a breakfast slot somewhere so up against Chris Evans

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Have you seen Steve Wright's wages for that dross he puts out.

Steve Wright justbspeaks and laughs at the same time for no apparent reason "

4th highest paid at the BBC. £500,000-550,000.

over a year ago

Trevor nelson my guess to replace mr mayo

over a year ago

"Have you seen Steve Wright's wages for that dross he puts out.

Steve Wright justbspeaks and laughs at the same time for no apparent reason

4th highest paid at the BBC. £500,000-550,000. "

Shocking

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"Chris Moyles is the one

Funny ireverent rude lude quite simply BRILLIANT lol"

Please no never ever again he was such a wanker

over a year ago

"Chris Moyles is the one

Funny ireverent rude lude quite simply BRILLIANT lol

Please no never ever again he was such a wanker "

He still is

over a year ago

"Be interesting to see which radio station simon mayo goes. Shame i loved drive time (original format)"

The Friday film review is no more?

over a year ago

"Be interesting to see which radio station simon mayo goes. Shame i loved drive time (original format)

The Friday film review is no more?"

5Live Fridays at 14:00.

By *oris and doris wolvesCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Chris Moyles is the one

Funny ireverent rude lude quite simply BRILLIANT lol"

only time you put moles and funny in the same sentence should be. ... Chris moyles is NOT funny at all

over a year ago

Can’t understand all this anti Steve Wright ranting. Yes his show is basically still as it was in the 80’s but it was a winning formula then and it’s still gets the ratings now. It’s what us 50 somethings grew up listening to. Steve was and still is very innovative. Love his show!! Am I the only one???? Lol.

Love Simon Mayo too....but they ruined his show when the BBC decided to change things around. Cant blame him for leaving

over a year ago

How can his show be what it was in the 80’s, and be innovative?

The manis a dinosaur and the sooner the Beeb realise that and dump him, the better

over a year ago

You seem to be a little wound up about this OP. Chill out man. Worse things happening in the world!!

Still a lot of people like Wrighty. Go Steve!!

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

" Steve was and still is very innovative. "

Nope, never was- pretty much a second rate, conservative version of Kenny Everitt

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Can’t understand all this anti Steve Wright ranting. Yes his show is basically still as it was in the 80’s but it was a winning formula then and it’s still gets the ratings now. It’s what us 50 somethings grew up listening to. Steve was and still is very innovative. Love his show!! Am I the only one???? Lol.

Love Simon Mayo too....but they ruined his show when the BBC decided to change things around. Cant blame him for leaving "

I like Steve Wright. I enjoy listening to him. I think a lot of Radio 2 presenters lack personality and I find them really dull.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Can’t understand all this anti Steve Wright ranting. Yes his show is basically still as it was in the 80’s but it was a winning formula then and it’s still gets the ratings now. It’s what us 50 somethings grew up listening to. Steve was and still is very innovative. Love his show!! Am I the only one???? Lol.

Love Simon Mayo too....but they ruined his show when the BBC decided to change things around. Cant blame him for leaving

I like Steve Wright. I enjoy listening to him. I think a lot of Radio 2 presenters lack personality and I find them really dull. "

I still like Steve but I wish he would drop the ‘no G’ thing on a Friday. Time it went in thinkin (no G)

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I like Steve Wright. I enjoy listening to him. I think a lot of Radio 2 presenters lack personality and I find them really dull.

I still like Steve but I wish he would drop the ‘no G’ thing on a Friday. Time it went in thinkin (no G)"

Yeah, I'm not keen on that. I think I might prefer a gentler radio style. I loved Terry Wogan. Chris Evans has me reaching for the radio 3 or 4 button

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"

I didn't like the twat back in the 80s, still don't

over a year ago

I didn't like the twat back in the 80s, still don't"

What you sayin’ ? ( without the G)

over a year ago

Love Simon Mayo too....but they ruined his show when the BBC decided to change things around. Cant blame him for leaving "

I love Steve Wrights show too, i hate it when he is away.

I love Simon Mayo too, wasnt keen when they altered his show though. Wish he wasnt leaving.

By *arly StagesCouple
over a year ago

Penwortham

I could happily spend a good couple of hours rubbing Steve Wright's face across sharp gravel he annoys me that much. It's a pity Mark Radcliffe is out of action at the moment as I think he's a very good radio broadcaster (when teamed up with a co-host). Don't mind Sara Cox although might be biased as I went to school with her. I think Radio 2 need to look at getting some new blood in though as recycling former radio 1 hosts seems to have had it's day.

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"I could happily spend a good couple of hours rubbing Steve Wright's face across sharp gravel he annoys me that much."

Me too, him and his young prodigy Evans, they bith love the sound of their own voices too much, and seem to go out of their way to ruin the few decent songs played on Radio 2 these days by talking over, singing over, playing silly noises over or having online conversations with members of the team over them.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I could happily spend a good couple of hours rubbing Steve Wright's face across sharp gravel he annoys me that much.

Me too, him and his young prodigy Evans, they bith love the sound of their own voices too much, and seem to go out of their way to ruin the few decent songs played on Radio 2 these days by talking over, singing over, playing silly noises over or having online conversations with members of the team over them."

Have you considered that Radio 2 might not be the station for you?

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"I could happily spend a good couple of hours rubbing Steve Wright's face across sharp gravel he annoys me that much.

Me too, him and his young prodigy Evans, they bith love the sound of their own voices too much, and seem to go out of their way to ruin the few decent songs played on Radio 2 these days by talking over, singing over, playing silly noises over or having online conversations with members of the team over them.

Have you considered that Radio 2 might not be the station for you?"

Well it used to be and I am generally able to avoid the presenters I don't like, however, there are times I don't have control over what is on the radio because it's not my radio or my workplace. My main issues are with the changes brought in in May, mainly the changes to drive time, getting rid of a much loved team and replacing them with Jo Whilley and also the introduction of crap music from the pop charts that is aimed at 12 year old girls. I mostly only listen to Ken Bruce these days, that is if I remember to turn the radio back up after yet another generic auto tuned to death song is played.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Have you considered that Radio 2 might not be the station for you?

Well it used to be and I am generally able to avoid the presenters I don't like, however, there are times I don't have control over what is on the radio because it's not my radio or my workplace. My main issues are with the changes brought in in May, mainly the changes to drive time, getting rid of a much loved team and replacing them with Jo Whilley and also the introduction of crap music from the pop charts that is aimed at 12 year old girls. I mostly only listen to Ken Bruce these days, that is if I remember to turn the radio back up after yet another generic auto tuned to death song is played."

I feel your pain regarding having to listen to radio stations you don't like due to work or location. I really dislike commercial radio due to the adverts but lots of hairdressers play them so my six weekly appointment is spent with my teeth on edge .

I actively disliked drive time before May and changed channel if I was driving home when it was on. I don't think the new format is any better either.

If radio 2 is aiming its music at 12 year old girls (I disagree) they will see their ratings drop surely and adjust accordingly.

One thing I find shocking and disturbing is the abuse the new female presenter on drive time has faced on social media. It's radio, not life or death and these people need to get some perspective.

By *xLedZepxx2Man
over a year ago

Didcot

"If radio 2 is aiming its music at 12 year old girls (I disagree) they will see their ratings drop surely and adjust accordingly.

One thing I find shocking and disturbing is the abuse the new female presenter on drive time has faced on social media. It's radio, not life or death and these people need to get some perspective. "

Radio 2 have lost a significant number of listeners 700.000 quoted, when I say music aimed at 12 year old girls I mean the inane auto tuned to death pop crap and Ariana Grande, little Mix etc which made up 50% of last weeks core playlist A, not exactly music for grown ups or music lovers. As for Jo Whilley, nothing against her, she is just not right for that sort of show.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Am I the only one that still listens to Radio 1 then?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If radio 2 is aiming its music at 12 year old girls (I disagree) they will see their ratings drop surely and adjust accordingly.

One thing I find shocking and disturbing is the abuse the new female presenter on drive time has faced on social media. It's radio, not life or death and these people need to get some perspective.

Radio 2 have lost a significant number of listeners 700.000 quoted, when I say music aimed at 12 year old girls I mean the inane auto tuned to death pop crap and Ariana Grande, little Mix etc which made up 50% of last weeks core playlist A, not exactly music for grown ups or music lovers. As for Jo Whilley, nothing against her, she is just not right for that sort of show."

I mostly listen to Radio 4 and Radio 3 if I'm on my way to work. I do like the bits of Radio 2 that I do listen to though.

Do the BBC persist with programs that lose listeners? Why do you think that is? They've had their funding cut pretty drastically recently I thought and should be actively trying to recruit audiences in my opinion. Someone, somewhere has got it wrong.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Am I the only one that still listens to Radio 1 then? "

Yes

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Am I the only one that still listens to Radio 1 then? "

I occasionally load it up on a friday night if im coming home from work at a reasonable time and for a little bangin Techno/House from Pete Tong etc...although its been a while

over a year ago

Is it Mark Goodier standing in for Ken Bruce?

God he's boring, had to change to Kisstory to stop falling asleep

over a year ago

Steve Wright to be replaced by Alec Lester!

By *aren1956TV/TS
over a year ago

Fakenham

"Completely agree on those two.

Jeremy Vine was seen as a breath of fresh air after Jimmy Young’s departure. Now he’s just some kind of Jeremy Kyle wannabe.

Steve Right and his “posse” are self flagellating, tedious and out of touch.

Bring back The Dark Lord, Alex Lester

I’m also going to suggest an interesting double act: Robert Peston and Eddie Mair. Their performances on “sensible” Radio 4 is a joy to hear "

I completely agree about the return of the Dark Lord, used to be on the radio in the north east, exiled for being different.

Post new Message to Thread