Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Poundland/Bodyshop No Respect!

Jump to newest

By *amescouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

north walsham

I dont know how many of you would have seen the news thats slowly spreading about.

But Poundland and Bodyshop have sent staff home and banned them from wearing poppies on their uniforms.

(rant mode engaged)

Maybe someone should point out that if it wasnt for the brave men and women who have given their all. These so called stores would have names like das bodyshop and deutscheland. A poppy isnt religous,racial, or facist. Its a mark of respect for the fallen of our country without whom we would live an in entirely different world.

I for one am joing the planned boycott of these stores. But not until i have been into the local ones with my oversized poppy and armed forces veteran badge proudly on display.

(Rant mode off) Blood still boiling.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

I do hope this isn't true.

As someone who works in the Military, it makes my blood boil at the lack of respect shown to those that do and have given their lives so that we can live in a 'free' society.

All my boys and girls wear their poppies with pride and I for one will be standing with them on 11/11 at 11.11am (in front of our camp memorial wall) remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I have no idea what this country is coming to when the bosses can ban someone for showing a mark of respect.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Alongside Abercrombie and Fitch...

They have all changed the company policy with regard to company uniform..

Damn right too..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I thought this had been a one of thing at a poundland store and it had all been sorted out

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

is it maybe at certain stores depending on mix of staff/ customers...and their backgrounds/beliefs. Have the staff complained they may feel unsafe and the unions have got involved.

or wide spread across all branches

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I thought this had been a one of thing at a poundland store and it had all been sorted out"

not heard about the body shop but the Poundland one was ONE person sending ONE person home for wearing it and the head ofice were quick to point out they were not following company policy

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I will also boycott any said stores

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I wear a poppy with enormous pride, and will be sporting one from the first of November till the day of remembrance day itself....

But It wouldn't stop me shopping at Bodyshop if they were not as a company allowing their staff to wear poppies....

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

fuck em... wankers...

ill be at the parade on the 11th..

bedrock the only town in the country to march through their town on th 11th every year as far back as i can remember.. and they do free food and hot drinks for all the old solders in all the pubs...

over a year ago

"I thought this had been a one of thing at a poundland store and it had all been sorted out

not heard about the body shop but the Poundland one was ONE person sending ONE person home for wearing it and the head ofice were quick to point out they were not following company policy"

Poundlands own website has a statement by CEO ...Jim McCarthy..

Summat along the lines of....listening to the _iews of the public...we have decided to relax the dres code in relation to poppy wearing...blah blah...

It was indeed company policy...

And a great antithesis of the individual rights many fell for...

Fuck em...

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

anyone established the facts yet before we denounce said companies.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"anyone established the facts yet before we denounce said companies.

"

thanks Dave

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Look on the bright side, sales of the Afghan poppy have apparently increased in recent years.

over a year ago

thanks Dave "

And tis Bodycare not Bodyshop....that was quickly resolved as well..after an intervention by a local MP..

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

yes... it one poundland store in belfast that asked one member of staff was asked to remove a poppy by a manager...

the company have said that the manager was wrong and apologised....

do you know what this is reminding me about now..

the whole jonathan ross/russell brand affair.. where 3 people actually complained about it at the time.. and everyone else goes into mock outrage mode...

over a year ago

"

Look on the bright side, sales of the Afghan poppy have apparently increased in recent years.

"

Indeed ...indeed...

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

yes... it one poundland store in belfast that asked one member of staff was asked to remove a poppy by a manager...

the whole jonathan ross/russell brand affair.. where 3 people actually complained about it at the time.. and everyone else goes into mock outrage mode..."

i couldnt give a fuck about wossy n his mate...what i give a fuck about our our lads n lasses who have lost their lives protecting us, past and present...i will boycott companies if they wish to not offend(said in a twee its total bullshit way)..if its not then il happily spend my pound in their stores for my next fancy dress accessory

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

According to the bbc website the decision was over turned and all stores workers can wear poppies if they wish to

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

good news..

the appropriate respect shown to our very brave armed services x present and past xx

over a year ago

the whole jonathan ross/russell brand affair.. where 3 people actually complained about it at the time.. and everyone else goes into mock outrage mode..."

It was company policy tho Fabio...a fact not denied by the CEO..

I dance at a British Legion Club, and the county chair helped with the funeral of my Dad recently...with regard costs...he saw lots of active service...

Talking with him.. it seems there is more than just a few examples of this phenonema...image focused companies are definitely de riguer..dress codes et al..

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the whole jonathan ross/russell brand affair.. where 3 people actually complained about it at the time.. and everyone else goes into mock outrage mode...i couldnt give a fuck about wossy n his mate...what i give a fuck about our our lads n lasses who have lost their lives protecting us, past and present...i will boycott companies if they wish to not offend(said in a twee its total bullshit way)..if its not then il happily spend my pound in their stores for my next fancy dress accessory "

and you see that the problem is that other companies are now being dragged into this.. and those companies are also going to be affected...

are those companies going to sue everyone who is now going to boycott those shops... what happens to those peoples jobs....

poundland has hundreds of stores in the UK, and yet we are talking about ONE incident in ONE store.... for which the company have said it was wrong and apologised...

I will absolutely support the soldiers and wish them god speed in everything they do... as i have said in the past "i don't have to support the people higher up who send them to places, but I will support the soldiers themselves to the hilt!" but any action has to be proportionate....

boycott that one store.... sure...

boycott them all and put peoples jobs and livelyhoods at risk.... is that really proportionate...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I have always felt (coming from a military family) that the wearing of the poppy was a personal thing, I have always worn one myself, particularly as the daughter of a man who died serving his country....

But as I see the wearing of the poppy as a deeply personal thing I would not castigate any individuals for not wearing a poppy nor boycott any companies for not allowing poppies to be worn by their staff, as long as I wear one that is all that matters to me.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

the whole jonathan ross/russell brand affair.. where 3 people actually complained about it at the time.. and everyone else goes into mock outrage mode...i couldnt give a fuck about wossy n his mate...what i give a fuck about our our lads n lasses who have lost their lives protecting us, past and present...i will boycott companies if they wish to not offend(said in a twee its total bullshit way)..if its not then il happily spend my pound in their stores for my next fancy dress accessory

and you see that the problem is that other companies are now being dragged into this.. and those companies are also going to be affected...

are those companies going to sue everyone who is now going to boycott those shops... what happens to those peoples jobs....

poundland has hundreds of stores in the UK, and yet we are talking about ONE incident in ONE store.... for which the company have said it was wrong and apologised...

I will absolutely support the soldiers and wish them god speed in everything they do... as i have said in the past "i don't have to support the people higher up who send them to places, but I will support the soldiers themselves to the hilt!" but any action has to be proportionate....

boycott that one store.... sure...

boycott them all and put peoples jobs and livelyhoods at risk.... is that really proportionate..."

i cant boycott them all as i only shop in one

over a year ago

www.poundlandblog.co.uk....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

".i cant boycott them all as i only shop in one"

and that one has lots of innocent people trying to keep a livelyhood in this day and age....

everyone boycotts the shop... shop closes.. people out of jobs....

is that the "pound of flesh" you want..

what do you say to the innocent people caught in the middle????

that is why any action has to be proportionate....

over a year ago

"good news..

the appropriate respect shown to our very brave armed services x present and past xx"

Well said xx

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I agree that the Armed Forces deserve respect, from the past and now. Good job really, as I work for the Army.

But I am sure all those soldiers, sailors, and airmen would agree that they fought so we could be free to choose. And surely we are free to choose whether we wear a poppy or not!

Sure, shops that make the mistake of misinterpeting company policy should be told off, but some of the posts on here saying that we SHOULD wear poppies are missing the point of what the poppies actually stand for.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I agree that the Armed Forces deserve respect, from the past and now. Good job really, as I work for the Army.

But I am sure all those soldiers, sailors, and airmen would agree that they fought so we could be free to choose. And surely we are free to choose whether we wear a poppy or not!

Sure, shops that make the mistake of misinterpeting company policy should be told off, but some of the posts on here saying that we SHOULD wear poppies are missing the point of what the poppies actually stand for."

yes to choose is exactly right....

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Rather than boycott a handful of shops, would it not be better to listen to such as this then hassle yer MP to do something useful and put it into effect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0d-oZgYemc

over a year ago

I`ll vote with my feet, money and conscience...

I won`t step inside any establishment that thought a dress code that excluded the wearing of a poppy was respectful and appropriatte...

over a year ago

perhaps we need to be sure which shops were doing this. Ok it sounds like poundland is a definite.

But bodyshop is totally different to bodycare.

I thought it was odd that bodyshop was implicated as they are franchises, so wouldnt have one company policy for all staff in every shop around the uk.

bodycare...i have no idea.

However i do think it wrong that staff aren't allowed to make their own choice to either wear a poppy on their uniforms or not!!

over a year ago

"perhaps we need to be sure which shops were doing this. Ok it sounds like poundland is a definite.

But bodyshop is totally different to bodycare.

I thought it was odd that bodyshop was implicated as they are franchises, so wouldnt have one company policy for all staff in every shop around the uk.

bodycare...i have no idea.

However i do think it wrong that staff aren't allowed to make their own choice to either wear a poppy on their uniforms or not!! "

It was Bodycare....they had a blanket ban on charitable symbols.....to avoid discrimination...a common refrain..

An intervention by MP Lindsay Hoyle helped sort it out...

The company re_iewed its policy and made an exception for the poppy...

over a year ago

There is a very small irony...apparent in companies who ban the poppy on the grounds of discrimination...

I`m not sure of the Nazi`s stance on...well take yer pick...??

over a year ago

The poppy incident just shows that when the chips are down, most Brits will back each other up for our right to display a token of our respect for the millions of service men and women who fought so we have a choice and the freedom to wear them.

Thats why Great Britain won two world wars, the strength and determination of standing up for our beliefs and rights and fighting for them together.

By *issNaughtyxxxWoman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

What was the reason's for not allowing them to be worn?

Utter disgrace, i've always been brought up to wear my poppy and stand proud in the walk on armitage day and walk up to the war memorial.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/11/11 12:32:16]

over a year ago

The poppy was originally used as a symbol of those who died in WW1, where much of the fighting - and dying - took place in the poppy fields of Flanders. Almost every man who fought in that war has now passed on and to continue wearing a poppy in remembrance of a war fought almost 100 years ago doesn't really serve a purpose when you consider how many men & women have fought and died in wars since WW1. Whilst I totally support a national Remembrance Day - Nov 11th - as a tribute to ALL fallen heroes from any campaign, I do feel that the poppy has served it's purpose and should be replaced by a more meaningful symbol to reflect our diverse culture and that includes every serviceman and woman who are still fighting on foreign shores to this day. I don't think Remembrance Day should only honour the dead.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

bought my poppy wristband this am so i can wear at work

cant be ripped off uniform

and i can wear all yr round

over a year ago

"bought my poppy wristband this am so i can wear at work

cant be ripped off uniform

and i can wear all yr round"

A wristband? I've not seen them but that's precisely what I was referring to in my post above. One doesn't have to wear a visible symbol to remember someone. Nice idea, where did you get it from?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The poppy site sell them.

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

Remember the BA employee who was sent home with no pay for four months??, wel lthis is what the judge said at her appeal:

He said: "This case has perhaps illustrated some of the problems which can arise when an individual asserts that a provision, criterion or practice adopted by an employer conflicts with beliefs which they hold but which may not only not be shared but may be opposed by others in the workforce.

"It is not unthinkable that a blanket ban may sometimes be the only fair solution."

Personally I don't agree with the judge, but then isn't that our democracy in action???, xxx

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"The poppy was originally used as a symbol of those who died in WW1, where much of the fighting - and dying - took place in the poppy fields of Flanders. Almost every man who fought in that war has now passed on and to continue wearing a poppy in remembrance of a war fought almost 100 years ago doesn't really serve a purpose when you consider how many men & women have fought and died in wars since WW1. Whilst I totally support a national Remembrance Day - Nov 11th - as a tribute to ALL fallen heroes from any campaign, I do feel that the poppy has served it's purpose and should be replaced by a more meaningful symbol to reflect our diverse culture and that includes every serviceman and woman who are still fighting on foreign shores to this day. I don't think Remembrance Day should only honour the dead."

I don't think it is just for the dead. The British Legion do a wonderful job and the money raised from the poppy appeal is for ex servicemen...so although yes it started off because of the reasons you say, things have added on to the original reason and includes all servicemen, in memory or the living.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

PS, I think the poppy should stay not be changed to something else.

over a year ago

"The poppy site sell them."

Um... I tried to google the poppy site but when I typed in 'popp' google thought I was looking for Poppy Montgomery and autoloaded a load of photos of her. Just spent the last five minutes ogling one of the sexiest women I've ever seen, so thanks to all our fallen heroes I got a new perv at a really sexy lady. I don't think the nazis would have permitted that so I thank our servicemen and women from the heart of my bottom!!

over a year ago

Can someone PM me the link to their shopping page as I cant seem to locate it, thanksxx

over a year ago

"Can someone PM me the link to their shopping page as I cant seem to locate it, thanksxx"

ditto. me too please.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

The cuff links are fab.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

link sent 1test and wishy

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"The poppy site sell them.

Um... I tried to google the poppy site but when I typed in 'popp' google thought I was looking for Poppy Montgomery and autoloaded a load of photos of her. Just spent the last five minutes ogling one of the sexiest women I've ever seen, so thanks to all our fallen heroes I got a new perv at a really sexy lady. I don't think the nazis would have permitted that so I thank our servicemen and women from the heart of my bottom!! "

lolol at least you got sidetracked by something nice...

I googled "poppy shop" and it comes up.

Post new Message to Thread