Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Animal pain or suffering

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Changing concerns for animal welfare have resulted in changes, for example with lobsters needing to be stunned, before being cooked. I generally don't hurt animals but my lifestyle means that animals are affected because of my choices. Live lobsters have been available for delivery on the internet, for home cooking. Would you like your lobster somehow prevented from potentially feeling pain, prior to cooking? What about other animals' potential experiences?

What are your thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I don't own a lobster, I haven't eaten one either. Jayne Mansfield had a problem with them though apparently

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pC61VSyKiA

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

You put a live lobster into the deepfreeze for an hour to stun it before you plunge it into boiling water to cook. Allegedly its less traumatic for the lobster to freeze first.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They heal 12 lifepoints

over a year ago

I’ve always found the whole boiling alive thing quite unnecessary and cruel, I wouldn’t eat lobster for the simple reason I wouldn’t enjoy it knowing how it died.

over a year ago

All this talk of lobsters has me thinking of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore....

over a year ago

I wouldn't want anything cooked alive, for my enjoyment. I try to not think about how livestock are kept and killed before we buy it.

over a year ago

If we felt strongly about animal welfare before eating the animal we would all be vegetarians even the farmers. The end of the day the animal needs to be killed for us to eat it. So whether its plunged into ice, through process of halal, or killed by any other means its still meat that we eat!

over a year ago

"If we felt strongly about animal welfare before eating the animal we would all be vegetarians even the farmers. The end of the day the animal needs to be killed for us to eat it. So whether its plunged into ice, through process of halal, or killed by any other means its still meat that we eat!"

We're animals! Animals eat other animals sometimes. But the way most prey get killed in the wild is extremely brutal and extremely painful. They are eaten alive. I think humans do well to ensure that animals suffer as little of the pain they would suffer in the wild. We're more civil animals.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"All this talk of lobsters has me thinking of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.... "

Hence my post above

over a year ago

"All this talk of lobsters has me thinking of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore....

Hence my post above "

Haha! I didn't get that far.. I'll have to check that out later, to see if it's still funny.

over a year ago

"You put a live lobster into the deepfreeze for an hour to stun it before you plunge it into boiling water to cook. Allegedly its less traumatic for the lobster to freeze first."

Yes have to agree with this but I always thought it's worse for crabs as lobsters are put into boiling water so reasonably quick whereas crabs are put in a pan of cold water with lid tied down then put over the heat to die slowly

Or frogs legs being cut from live frogs there really is no need for any of it in this day and age

over a year ago

"Changing concerns for animal welfare have resulted in changes, for example with lobsters needing to be stunned, before being cooked. I generally don't hurt animals but my lifestyle means that animals are affected because of my choices. Live lobsters have been available for delivery on the internet, for home cooking. Would you like your lobster somehow prevented from potentially feeling pain, prior to cooking? What about other animals' potential experiences?

What are your thoughts? "

Always.. there is no need to torture the animals used in human diet. Be that welfare or slaughter

over a year ago

I won't eat crab, lobster, snails, frogs legs or foie gras. It's cruel.

I like meat and feel it is a nessesary part of my diet. I have no choice but to trust that farms and slaughter houses are governed correctly and the animals I do eat are cared for and killed in the most appropriate way in order to avoid unnecessary suffering.

By *hips n FursMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

The lobsters get a good death compared to some poor dogs in certain countries. Skinned alive and cooked. The footage still haunts me and will do until I take my last breath.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

And you can't worry about everything in life, otherwise you would never do anything, buy anything, eat anything, create or destroy anything or go anywhere.

And a snail? They are just a garden pest. You crush them or put pellets down to kill them and slugs. You can't really object to eating them, if you like the flavour.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"The lobsters get a good death compared to some poor dogs in certain countries. Skinned alive and cooked. The footage still haunts me and will do until I take my last breath."

Exactly. All this talk of lobsters is nice. But until you convince the Chinese to stop ALL the shit they do, leave me out of it.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

If you stick a skewer or slim knife under the carapace, it severs the dorsal nerve cord, so it can't feel anything.

By *rated-BaconMan
over a year ago

medway

All because we think we're top of the food chain

Wouldn't be so funny if it was the other way around though, would it?

(But let's skip over that bit, thinking hurts)

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"All because we think we're top of the food chain

Wouldn't be so funny if it was the other way around though, would it?

(But let's skip over that bit, thinking hurts)"

Can you explain please?

By *onnie And Clyde9070Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

"The lobsters get a good death compared to some poor dogs in certain countries. Skinned alive and cooked. The footage still haunts me and will do until I take my last breath.

Exactly. All this talk of lobsters is nice. But until you convince the Chinese to stop ALL the shit they do, leave me out of it."

Some of the things the Chinese do is bordering on barbaric. The cruelty is beyond comprehension. I'm not going to go into detail, but half cooking a fish then eating it while it's still alive? Just wrong.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

I seem to be playing devil's advocate a lot lately... But on reading this thread and people's views on how crustaceans are cooked, I'd just like to point out that fish in general caught for human consumption don't die peacefully.... The cod that wound up in your fish fingers was scooped from the sea in a net crammed with other fish, gasping in air it couldn't breathe, and slowly suffocated packed in vat of ice with hundreds of other fish until processed... At least the crab/lobster gets the attention of an individual who may stun or kill it humanely

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Switzerland has ruled that lobsters must be stunned, before being cooked.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Switzerland has ruled that lobsters must be stunned, before being cooked. "

You can always trust the Swiss...

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"The lobsters get a good death compared to some poor dogs in certain countries. Skinned alive and cooked. The footage still haunts me and will do until I take my last breath.

Exactly. All this talk of lobsters is nice. But until you convince the Chinese to stop ALL the shit they do, leave me out of it."

You'll only make a moral choice for yourself if everyone else does?

Either you want to treat animals ethically or you don't. Don't use the Chinese as an excuse.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Exactly. All this talk of lobsters is nice. But until you convince the Chinese to stop ALL the shit they do, leave me out of it.

Either you want to treat animals ethically or you don't. Don't use the Chinese as an excuse. "

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Either you want to treat animals ethically or you don't. Don't use the Chinese as an excuse. "

Nah. Just pissed off with liberals who moan about the behaviour of descent people and ignore the abhorrent behaviours of those around the globe because it's tricky. Animal cruelty and sexism being 2 examples of that. It doesn't affect me. I'm unlikely to hurt a lobster or anything else being a vegetarian.

By *kbloke_11Man
over a year ago

Hockley

Fkem, they're only animals and I speak as a veggie!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Fkem, they're only animals and I speak as a veggie!"

The bible says we have dominion over animals. So you can basically so what you want. However, most Chinese don't use the Bible so they have no excuse.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Either you want to treat animals ethically or you don't. Don't use the Chinese as an excuse.

Nah. Just pissed off with liberals who moan about the behaviour of descent people and ignore the abhorrent behaviours of those around the globe because it's tricky. Animal cruelty and sexism being 2 examples of that. It doesn't affect me. I'm unlikely to hurt a lobster or anything else being a vegetarian. "

It's reasonable to approach things on many fronts and we can each individually determine what we want to do - which may be to carry on the same.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Do you think people make a fuss over lobsters because they appear to vocalise their pain? Whereas fish dont.

over a year ago

"Nah. Just pissed off with liberals who moan about the behaviour of descent people and ignore the abhorrent behaviours of those around the globe because it's tricky. Animal cruelty and sexism being 2 examples of that. It doesn't affect me. I'm unlikely to hurt a lobster or anything else being a vegetarian. "

Until you rule the world, you can only change your behaviour.

It is a sad fact that vegetarians are more cruel to animals than omnivores. They poison all the fluffy bunnies to grow your carrots.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Nah. Just pissed off with liberals who moan about the behaviour of descent people and ignore the abhorrent behaviours of those around the globe because it's tricky. Animal cruelty and sexism being 2 examples of that. It doesn't affect me. I'm unlikely to hurt a lobster or anything else being a vegetarian.

It is a sad fact that vegetarians are more cruel to animals than omnivores. They poison all the fluffy bunnies to grow your carrots. "

I prefer to shoot them.

over a year ago

"Nah. Just pissed off with liberals who moan about the behaviour of descent people and ignore the abhorrent behaviours of those around the globe because it's tricky. Animal cruelty and sexism being 2 examples of that. It doesn't affect me. I'm unlikely to hurt a lobster or anything else being a vegetarian.

It is a sad fact that vegetarians are more cruel to animals than omnivores. They poison all the fluffy bunnies to grow your carrots.

I prefer to shoot them. "

Shooting carrots is not very sporting

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

I prefer to shoot them. "

Should have said "preferred"..

over a year ago

I became a vegetarian this year , mainly because of the health issues , I still eat fish though , well salmon , and I know it is all farmed and humanely killed , god I sound boring !!

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Do you think people make a fuss over lobsters because they appear to vocalise their pain? Whereas fish dont."

Good question - I think it's also their appearance, with a perceived more complex body externally. The easier it can be for people to compare to animals that they know and wouldn't want to have feeling pain, the more reluctantly they'll accept this animal getting it.

Lobsters are fairly cute too - if they had beautiful fur and puppy dog eyes, they'd win over more people. But probably fail as sea creatures.

There's debate on whether they do feel pain similarly to us and other animals.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I became a vegetarian this year , mainly because of the health issues , I still eat fish though , well salmon , and I know it is all farmed and humanely killed , god I sound boring !! "

Is it humanely killed?

Post new Message to Thread