Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Weddings

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For those of you who are married did your big day go to plan? Was it what you'd dreamed of? and was it worth all the financial expense?

For those who aren't married do you have your ideal wedding all planned out? What's your dress/suit like in your head and would you have a massive wedding or a quiet low key one since we are in these tough financial times?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Both went well I married 2 beautiful women just a shame that I couldn't keep 1, I have 4 great kids but I ain't doing it again. LIVE IN SIN IT'S CHEAPER

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes mine went to plan apart from i sent the wedding car away so when we came out the register office it had gone lol had to go in the bridesmaids car

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

our wedding was so long ago but I do remember having to put another £15 behind the bar to see us through the last hour of the reception! Also had thunder and lightening dutring the service, was told it was an omen but here we are still together nearly 34 (yep thirty four!!) years later and enjoying life more than ever.

Daughters wedding cost a damn site more though

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

First wedding went exactly to plan and was worth the time, effort and cost.

The next one is an entirely different story.........

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

married 23yr this sept, and i never got the wedding i wanted, but did get the man i wanted.

over a year ago

Mine was low key, only the two of us, the cab driver who took me there was a witness, the other being the photographer.

My then hubby and I went to splash out on the most expensive meal I had in my life so far, the wine alone was 150 GBP, and it was worth it.

Sadly, the marriage only lasted 7 years. However, we parted amicably, thanks to him being a very kind and generous person who likes to see me being happy rather than miserable.

We are still in very good terms and in contact regularly. He is usually one of the first 3 people I would ring whenever I have a major disaster or happy news.

over a year ago

I got married 30 years ago. Our parents and families paid for most of it. It was the wedding my parents wanted, we didn't know half of the 600 guests.

I've had the big church wedding, eight bridesmaids etc. If I marry again it'll be somewhere small like the Orangery at the Horniman Museum.

over a year ago

Would I do it again? I doubt it, as I do not believe I am the marrying kind.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I was married 3 weeks and thank god it only cost about 200 quid.. I got married in Denmark.

We lived together for 3 years after that it was more out of shame that the marriage never lasted. If I was to get married again which I am sure I won't all I would want is a hen night and to wear a proper wedding dress... The rest can be as cheap as possible..

By *andy muncherMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

well mine was register office and a pub do afterwards ,cardinal sin dont drink to much fell a sleep when i got to the hotel room and she never let me forget that, the marriage lasted 11 years some good some bad

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

1st wedding......... big white dress and fancy schmuter do with caterers, cars, flowers, photography etc. Cost £9,000 in 1986 ( my poor father!)

2nd wedding......... Mauritius. One long cream night gown (well, it was 90 degrees), hotel supplied cake, dinner and two witnesses. Cost, including the month in Mauritius ....... not far of £30k

3rd wedding......... cheltenham registry office, 3 best friends, next clothes (Jason in jeans), piss up in O'Neills pub with the Irish (it was Gold Cup Day) and down to Gloucester docks for a curry. Cost..... about £200

Guess which one was the best!

By *ngieandMrManCouple
over a year ago

hereford

The first time we got married (wasn't to each other) it was a VERY long time ago and in both cases it was the big church do. I think it cost something like £50 or £60 to provide 300 people with booze for the evening.

As divorcees we've been together 11 years and we are getting married in a few months time, family and vanilla friends are NOT invited as we are having a 'swingers only' wedding. No crap about Auntie Flo not speaking to Granddad George and the like, just people who WANT to share the day with us and know how to have a laugh and a good time

As far as family and friends are concerned afterwards - we got married in a registry office and had a dirty weekend (very dirty LOL)

over a year ago

"1st wedding......... big white dress and fancy schmuter do with caterers, cars, flowers, photography etc. Cost £9,000

"

Ya mean it costs money ta marry ???? xxx

By *ngieandMrManCouple
over a year ago

hereford

"1st wedding......... big white dress and fancy schmuter do with caterers, cars, flowers, photography etc. Cost £9,000

Ya mean it costs money ta marry ???? xxx "

Oh shit, you're in trouble now Soapy Blokey

over a year ago

Got married 28yrs ago next week. We got wed at Sally Army Church in Wolves. A lady Major conducted our service, and she was crying all through it.

Kate came down the aisle to the wedding march just as standard procedure. When she got to me, the Major said to everyone to be seated, so I went and sat down and got told that it didn't apply to me if I wanted to go through with it

We left the church to the sound of A Whiter Shade Of Pale, played by Kate's old music teacher. We didn't know he liked a tipple, and when we played the video, it sounded like Les Dawson was playing it

Then we went off to East Park in Wolves to have our photo's taken. There were some kids playing football right behind the wedding group and when we asked them if they would stop while we took the photos they gave us a barrage of fucks and bollocks, all picked up perfectly on our wedding video.

So yes.... I think our day went to plan

over a year ago

oh, and forgot about the reception

One of my biker mates, Mad Mick turned up unannounced with his wife and daughter, looking like a family of gypo's.

Only a few of my friends knew him, Kate didn't, and there was a bit of a "scuffle" when somebody tried to throw him out

Well, it's not a wedding if there's not a scrap is it?

over a year ago

First wedding was the big white church do. Bridesmaids coming out of our ears. Blissfully hot day in August in between two weekends where it pissed down. Cost inc honeymoon: c£6k

Second wedding was a Registry Office in Newcastle, reception was in one of Siren's old student haunts (it resembled the Crooked House in the nursery rhyme). Another blissfully hot day sandwiched by shit weather either side of it. Photos taken on the Millenium Bridge which was cool apart from the stupid bitch who decided to slow down as she walked across and got in every shot. Total cost inc honeymoon: £3k

over a year ago

My wedding in the late 80s was a huge affair. Traditional church wedding, dress modelled on Glinda the good witch in the Wizard of Oz, bridesmaids cute in pink, wedding cake taller than me, sit down meal for reception, disco and buffet at night.

If I was getting married now it would be abroad, low key, just the two of us, and then go off together and have a meal somewhere, or sit on a bench sharing a bag of fish and chips, wouldnt bother me, but it would just be the two of us

over a year ago

was romantic, small registry office affair, mainly family a few drinks in a beachside hotel then cooked a meal in our newly bought house afters Dress was pretty and floaty from C&A, never used to wear make up and just washed me long locks that morning and dried them out me Dad's car window lol

Groom was dressed Sat night fever style white suit, red shirt lol and a head of ringlets

Evening friends came over to party

yeah was good, no stress, and min expense (spent the money on house deposit)

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Think my wedding cost about 4k 20 years ago. No honeymoon as i was too pregnant

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Oh heres a nice wedding, my sister got married in the ice palace in finland then they went on a two week ice safarie. There honeymoon photos of them are in great big orange wet suits looking like mr blobbies with ice all in the water with them

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I'm still waiting for a guy to go down on me- I mean down on one knee

over a year ago

Nope it wasn't what we dreamed of ... not at all.

In fact it was 10x better and life is also 10x better than we expected and 7 years down the road it gets even better.

Was it worth the expense ?

All in all we paid less than 1000quid all told and yes it was worth it - every penny

We had everyone who matters at our wedding, ie family and friends - only one person missing - my Dad, who'd died a few weeks prior ... but no hangers on, no pomp and ceremony, just the folks who matter

over a year ago

We know some people getting married naked !!

Post new Message to Thread