Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Princess Diana

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am watching 'The Queen' on ITV3 and thinking back to the time Princess Diana died. Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Who cares?

Do we honestly live our lives through them?

Let them get on with their lives, Ill get on with mine.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

I think the way she was practically turned into a saint when she was alive had a direct correlation to how she was 'mourned' when she died..

I found it a bit unsettling the way total strangers were grieving for her and yes she did some good things when she was alive but it was a terrible example of the culture of celebrity that pervades many area's in society..

not sure I have answered the question

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Diana gave birth to two fine boys.....who have both far exceeded their parents when it comes to providing this country with role models to be proud off....

over a year ago

"Who cares?

Let them get on with their lives, Ill get on with mine."

It was a death I was asking about, not their lives.

Merely a question...

over a year ago

"I think the way she was practically turned into a saint when she was alive had a direct correlation to how she was 'mourned' when she died..

I found it a bit unsettling the way total strangers were grieving for her and yes she did some good things when she was alive but it was a terrible example of the culture of celebrity that pervades many area's in society..

not sure I have answered the question

"

I think the press seized upon it, possibly due to the paparazzi being initially linked to the crash. In under to assuage any feelings of guilt they (collectively) may have had.

I also think Blair and his cronies jumped on the bandwagon.

I lost a job the day before her funeral and remember coming home (to my parents) and breaking down. My mam soothed me and said "we all feel the same love, tomorrow is going to be a hard day for all of us!" I was like "wtf?"

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Princess died as she lived: in incredible plushness

?

over a year ago

People forget for right or wrong Diana was a Global Icon when she was alive quite simply the most famous woman on the planet and Icons like that don't come along very often and to die young just added to that.

And no there is nobody alive at the moment with her level of fame ect so it wont happen in the UK not even the passing of the Queen because we are expecting it with Diana nobody was.

over a year ago

"Diana gave birth to two fine boys.....who have both far exceeded their parents when it comes to providing this country with role models to be proud off.... "

Yes, I like the Princes. But, would we be as hysterical now as then. if one died suddenly?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"People forget for right or wrong Diana was a Global Icon when she was alive quite simply the most famous woman on the planet and Icons like that don't come along very often and to die young just added to that.

And no there is nobody alive at the moment with her level of fame ect so it wont happen in the UK not even the passing of the Queen because we are expecting it with Diana nobody was."

* most famous woman alive = the Queen.

No contest.

over a year ago

I never shed a tear nor felt any grief,,

It was what it was....

over a year ago

"Princess died as she lived: in incredible plushness

?"

Well she died in incredible pain, following an awful car accident... albeit in a plush Mercedes.

over a year ago

Not sure if the Princess Royal died it would gather many column inches

over a year ago

"I am watching 'The Queen' on ITV3 and thinking back to the time Princess Diana died. Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?"
wouldn't shed a tear...would any do for me or my family?...even though I pay for their lifestyle???

I think not

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"People forget for right or wrong Diana was a Global Icon when she was alive quite simply the most famous woman on the planet and Icons like that don't come along very often and to die young just added to that.

And no there is nobody alive at the moment with her level of fame ect so it wont happen in the UK not even the passing of the Queen because we are expecting it with Diana nobody was.

No contest."

(then or now)

over a year ago

"Diana gave birth to two fine boys.....who have both far exceeded their parents when it comes to providing this country with role models to be proud off....

Yes, I like the Princes. But, would we be as hysterical now as then. if one died suddenly? "

I wouldn't be .....

There are people dying every day,,,,,

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Diana gave birth to two fine boys.....who have both far exceeded their parents when it comes to providing this country with role models to be proud off....

Yes, I like the Princes. But, would we be as hysterical now as then. if one died suddenly?

I wouldn't be .....

There are people dying every day,,,,,"

Yes, why is one life worth more than another?

over a year ago

I'm not convinced that all the mourning was 100% for her. I think the shock and disbelief brought out grief from people about many other things, her death was just a catalyst.

If Harry or William or someone similar died, I hope the same would happen. However this new generation of people mostly only seem to give a fuck about themselves.

over a year ago

No contest."

The Queen is famous no doubt but Diana was on another level she had that rare thing that only a few have a aurua about her that made her the worlds biggest superstar in her time just like Elvis, Marilyn ect before her.

We all wanted a piece of her and that is what killed her in the end.

over a year ago

And no there is nobody alive at the moment with her level of fame ect so it wont happen in the UK not even the passing of the Queen because we are expecting it with Diana nobody was."

Icons like that are *made* not born...

By *ndigo40Woman
over a year ago

secret town

"I am watching 'The Queen' on ITV3 and thinking back to the time Princess Diana died. Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?"

She was murdered

over a year ago

No contest."

I agree

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

No contest.

The Queen is famous no doubt but Diana was on another level she had that rare thing that only a few have a aurua about her that made her the worlds biggest superstar in her time just like Elvis, Marilyn ect before her.

We all wanted a piece of her and that is what killed her in the end."

Leave me outta this!

I didn't want a piece of her, didn't buy papers that printed pics or exposés. Not interested.

I didn't wish her dead, of course.

I didn't kill her, we didn't kill her. There was a car accident (in a plush Merc).

over a year ago

How much I care about the royals dying is an exact reflection of how much they care when one of my family dies

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I am watching 'The Queen' on ITV3 and thinking back to the time Princess Diana died. Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?

She was murdered "

Stop reading The Express!

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"How much I care about the royals dying is an exact reflection of how much they care when one of my family dies "

Impeccable logic

over a year ago

"I'm not convinced that all the mourning was 100% for her. I think the shock and disbelief brought out grief from people about many other things, her death was just a catalyst.

If Harry or William or someone similar died, I hope the same would happen. However this new generation of people mostly only seem to give a fuck about themselves. "

Good point. I suppose the event itself empowered people in a way to express emotion openly?

over a year ago

Diana and JKF both died/killed in cars....

over a year ago

"How much I care about the royals dying is an exact reflection of how much they care when one of my family dies "

Logical.

over a year ago

"I am watching 'The Queen' on ITV3 and thinking back to the time Princess Diana died. Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?

She was murdered "

over a year ago

So you only care about people that care about you?

over a year ago

"I'm not convinced that all the mourning was 100% for her. I think the shock and disbelief brought out grief from people about many other things, her death was just a catalyst.

If Harry or William or someone similar died, I hope the same would happen. However this new generation of people mostly only seem to give a fuck about themselves.

Good point. I suppose the event itself empowered people in a way to express emotion openly? "

Yep. You say it much better than I did.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Good point. I suppose the event itself empowered people in a way to express emotion openly?

Yep. You say it much better than I did. "

Diana Dead: Nation's Stiff Upper Lip 'Seen To Tremble'

over a year ago

Yep. You say it much better than I did. "

I am all over that, because apparently I only like contributions from people who agree with me!

HaHa - sorry that was a snide comment for someone else's eyes

over a year ago

"Diana and JKF both died/killed in cars...."

My uncle Sammy died in a car crash...

over a year ago

She was murdered

"

Sure its not the Daily Fail?

over a year ago

"How much I care about the royals dying is an exact reflection of how much they care when one of my family dies

So you only care about people that care about you?"

on the whole yeah.

do you mourn the loss of every stranger?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

No contest.

We all wanted a piece of her and that is what killed her in the end. "

not I..

what killed her was a d*unk behind the wheel..

over a year ago

No contest.

We all wanted a piece of her and that is what killed her in the end. "

The Queen's level of recognition is comparable only to the likes of Jesus Christ and The Virgin Mary.

Mainly due to he fact that she happened to become Monarch during the era technological mass media.

Diana, although achieving 'fame' could in no way command the level of recognition and respect that the Queen does. Additionally, the Queen is primus inter pares with every other world and religious leader, due to her role as Head of State of 16 nations and as Supreme Governor of the Church of England and the wider Anglican Communion.

over a year ago

There is nothing so insincere as competitive grieving ......

You don't measure grief by the amount of tears shed....

over a year ago

"How much I care about the royals dying is an exact reflection of how much they care when one of my family dies

on the whole yeah.

do you mourn the loss of every stranger? "

I don't see things as black and white.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What bitterness and hatred makes human beings speak this way ?

I am not a royalist. I don't mourn Diana but I was shocked by her death.

I never met her children but as a mother I could feel for them in their loss.

If we banished the Royal Family I wouldn't wail but I wouldn't gloat either.

If we suffered the sudden loss of either or both of Diana and Charle's sons half the world would unite in shock, sobs, flowers, gifts, trauma and loving wise words. The other half might genuinely grieve.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/11/16 15:34:15]

over a year ago

No, the general British population werent mentally ill, anti-royal, anti-government, anti-patriotism nutjobs in '97.

If it happened today, you'd have a load of lesbians with green hair celebrating outside Buckingham Palace and saying that she was a symbol of "oppression".

over a year ago

I never cared for her when she was alive, but still got caught up in the ridiculous spectacle that was the period of mourning forced on the nation when she died.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"No, the general British population werent mentally ill, anti-royal, anti-government, anti-patriotism nutjobs in '97.

If it happened today, you'd have a load of lesbians with green hair celebrating outside Buckingham Palace and saying that she was a symbol of "oppression"."

Are you anti gay ?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"There is nothing so insincere as competitive grieving ......

You don't measure grief by the amount of tears shed.... "

This

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"What bitterness and hatred makes human beings speak this way ?

If we suffered the sudden loss of either or both of Diana and Charle's sons half the world would unite in shock, sobs, flowers, gifts, trauma and loving wise words. The other half might genuinely grieve. "

And this, too

over a year ago

"No, the general British population werent mentally ill, anti-royal, anti-government, anti-patriotism nutjobs in '97.

If it happened today, you'd have a load of lesbians with green hair celebrating outside Buckingham Palace and saying that she was a symbol of "oppression"."

Out of interest how old were you on 1997 to form that opinion?

The Royals were just as unpopular with some back then as they are now. If anything more so as at least William and Harry are vaguely likable unlike their father and the majority of their aunts and uncles who were generally seen as a target for derision.

But even the staunchest anti-royalist would struggle to argue that she was a symbol of oppression so why do you think people would celebrate?

over a year ago

on the whole yeah.

I don't see things as black and white."

neither do I..which is why I started my reply with 'on the whole'

there are probably one or two people who I don't know who when they die I might have an inkling of concern bit they're few and far between. In fact I can't really think of one off the top of my head right now but sure they exist

The royals, past or present, though mean nothing to me I'm afraid.

over a year ago

"What bitterness and hatred makes human beings speak this way ?

If we suffered the sudden loss of either or both of Diana and Charle's sons half the world would unite in shock, sobs, flowers, gifts, trauma and loving wise words. The other half might genuinely grieve. "

I very much like how reasoned your arguments are.

I felt for the Princes and it wasn't until I lost my father (a staunch anti-royalist, whose only opinion of Diana's death was "one less snout in the trough") that I understood what it felt like to lose a parent.

I am not a royalist but do hold the Queen in high regard, for her dedication and the sense of continuity she provides.

over a year ago

on the whole yeah.

I don't see things as black and white.

neither do I..which is why I started my reply with 'on the whole'

there are probably one or two people who I don't know who when they die I might have an inkling of concern bit they're few and far between. In fact I can't really think of one off the top of my head right now but sure they exist

The royals, past or present, though mean nothing to me I'm afraid.

"

And that is a very fair point, well made.

I do grieve (in context) when I hear of tragedy, local or otherwise. eg news of a fatal house fire, immigrants drowning in the Mediterranean. Not sure if some would see that is grief for griefs sake or my being compassionate?

By *ylonesqueMan
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

It seems to be the 'in thing' to show overwhelming grief these days.

I am amazed out the outpouring of superficial crying and devastation that people feel the need to share with everyone else.

So yes, the hysteria would definitely be there today, if not worse.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Diana gave birth to two fine boys.....who have both far exceeded their parents when it comes to providing this country with role models to be proud off.... "

I find them very inspiring, so tonight i shall be attending a party dressed in an SS uniform, then tomorrow i shall mainly be shooting lots of animals, followed by lecuring the rest of the world on the importance of conservation

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I find them very inspiring, so tonight i shall be attending a party dressed in an SS uniform, then tomorrow i shall mainly be shooting lots of animals, followed by lecuring the rest of the world on the importance of conservation "

* whilst selling arms

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It wouldn't happen for any of the royals imo. I'm unsure about anyone who's in the public eye. Rest assured, the mass power of the people is ready to be unleashed

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't think so, no. I think she represented what a lot of people were looking for at that time.

When the queen dies I think people will mourn but quite differently.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

Didnt give a shit wen it happend also thought all those ppl sobbing over sumone they didnt know was pretty odd aswell. Wouldnt care now either

over a year ago

I find them very inspiring, so tonight i shall be attending a party dressed in an SS uniform, then tomorrow i shall mainly be shooting lots of animals, followed by lecuring the rest of the world on the importance of conservation "

Yes because of course he has done nothing with his life since making a regrettably clumsy error of judgment unlike many a young lad might do before maturity ....

By *litheroevoyeurMan
over a year ago

Clitheroe

Or about anyone else you don't know.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Her funeral was on the same day as a friend of mine got married. So it was a happy day all round...

Jade Goody was the REAL people's princess anyway.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"

When the queen dies I think people will mourn but quite differently."

Or just wonder if we get a day off work for it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Or just wonder if we get a day off work for it."

Well yes, I'm sure lots of people will wonder that.

over a year ago

I've never seen anything like it when Diana died, I was only 17 when she died and it was a huge shock because I was born around the same time as she married, when I say shock I don't mean I was in mourning for her, I was shocked and saddened but for me it was the media coverage then that made it even more, if she does say 20 or even 10 years prior, would it have been the event that it was?

In the months leading up to her death no one left her alone and that's because technology changed and I'd say William or Kate were to die in such circumstances now it would be even worse, imagine Diana dying the same way now with today's media!!

I hate to say it but with the 'celebrities' we have now and I'm talking the kardisians (grrrr no idea how to spell it!) if one of them was to die (I mean look at the coverage of the robbery for god sake!) I dread to think what the 'world' would do!!

Having this instant media we have now doesn't always help

G x

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

" Would the sort of national hysteria that occurred following her death happen now, eg, if William or Harry or some other high profile royal died suddenly and unexpectedly?"

Probably. There are enough people daft enough to believe in a magical bloodline.

Diana was almost certainly 'eliminated' by the establishment. Nothing new there; see also Dr. David Kelly, Gareth Williams, Mike Todd and Robin Cook.

over a year ago

As Noel Gallagher said, there were people traveling 100's of miles to throw flowers at the coffin of a woman they never met. These same people haven't been to their own grandmothers grave in months or years. The mass hysteria was pathetic frankly.

She did a lot of good work?

What traveling the world in luxury and getting 1st class food wherever she went.

She was hardly roughing it. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd paid her way by working in Woolies.

Let's not forget the royals are descended from Germans and Greeks.

I've got more claim to the throne than this bloody lot.

At least my family were here in the 12th century.

By *he Devils Daughter!Woman
over a year ago

some where in yorkshire

She was murdered "

I agree

By *aren1956TV/TS
over a year ago

Fakenham

There was no mass hysteria from total strangers when my sister-in-law died in a car crash. Totally sickening.....

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

Diana was in the newspapers nearly every day and a lot of people thought she was a saint who could do no wrong, i think people would be upset if prince harry or william died but they wouldnt react in quite the same way.

By *ralbiswMan
over a year ago

Fareham

She was murdered

Sure its not the Daily Fail? "

She simply should have worn a seat belt!!

over a year ago

I can't argue with any of that really

over a year ago

"Her funeral was on the same day as a friend of mine got married. So it was a happy day all round...

Jade Goody was the REAL people's princess anyway."

Aw, I often think of Jade Goody. Much misunderstood, much like Diana, Queen of our Hearts?!

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

"There was no mass hysteria from total strangers when my sister-in-law died in a car crash. Totally sickening....."

I was upset when she died being so young and when someone like her is in the news all the time you sort of feel like you know them i was the same age as her, got married about the same time, used to like seeing her pictures in magazines in the 80s but then got bored with her.

I thought it was crazy the way people reacted when she died though.

over a year ago

"I've never seen anything like it when Diana died, I was only 17 when she died and it was a huge shock because I was born around the same time as she married, when I say shock I don't mean I was in mourning for her, I was shocked and saddened but for me it was the media coverage then that made it even more, if she does say 20 or even 10 years prior, would it have been the event that it was?

In the months leading up to her death no one left her alone and that's because technology changed and I'd say William or Kate were to die in such circumstances now it would be even worse, imagine Diana dying the same way now with today's media!!

I hate to say it but with the 'celebrities' we have now and I'm talking the kardisians (grrrr no idea how to spell it!) if one of them was to die (I mean look at the coverage of the robbery for god sake!) I dread to think what the 'world' would do!!

Having this instant media we have now doesn't always help

G x"

Can you imagine the social media coverage? Facebomb and Twatter would self-ignite! The internet would probably break then

over a year ago

that was the day i married my ex i knew the marriage was doomed when after my wedding night all the flags at half-mast

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/11/16 19:40:57]

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Who cares?

I think that was pretty much my response at the time...

over a year ago

"There was no mass hysteria from total strangers when my sister-in-law died in a car crash. Totally sickening.....

I was upset when she died being so young and when someone like her is in the news all the time you sort of feel like you know them i was the same age as her, got married about the same time, used to like seeing her pictures in magazines in the 80s but then got bored with her.

I thought it was crazy the way people reacted when she died though."

Yes, there is the natural sadness because some one has died, especially if she was someone you maybe identified with. The OTT reaction was fed by the media though, probably thinking that it was among the last times her visage would earn them money?!

Deleted previous for spelling error.

over a year ago

"that was the day i married my ex i knew the marriage was doomed when after my wedding night all the flags at half-mast"

Sorry, just spat my wine out! HaHa

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

?

Well she died in incredible pain, following an awful car accident... albeit in a plush Mercedes. "

She was unconscious not in pain.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Jade Goody was the REAL people's princess anyway."

Which people do you refer to?

over a year ago

Not sure anyone would mourn in the same way. We all have Facebook now so people would share virtual roses and say something like " share this if ( insert royal) was your favourite.

Or we would say " 99% of people wont share this but only my real friends will.....insert sad story of royal.

over a year ago

"As Noel Gallagher said, there were people traveling 100's of miles to throw flowers at the coffin of a woman they never met. These same people haven't been to their own grandmothers grave in months or years. The mass hysteria was pathetic frankly.

She did a lot of good work?

What traveling the world in luxury and getting 1st class food wherever she went.

She was hardly roughing it. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd paid her way by working in Woolies.

Let's not forget the royals are descended from Germans and Greeks.

I've got more claim to the throne than this bloody lot.

At least my family were here in the 12th century."

I sense a little anger in this post? Am I right? Sorry, yes I can understand where your coming from.

over a year ago

Not sure anyone would mourn in the same way. We all have Facebook now so people would share virtual roses and say something like " share this if ( insert royal) was your favourite.

Or we would say " 99% of people wont share this but only my real friends will.....insert sad story of royal.

"

Britain First would be all over that like a rash. A festering, itchy, sadly contagious rash!

over a year ago

?

Well she died in incredible pain, following an awful car accident... albeit in a plush Mercedes.

She was unconscious not in pain."

Phew, there's a relief

over a year ago

I was genuinely sad when Dianna was killed but I didn't grieve or mourn. At the time I was workin at a horse show with the British red cross so we flew our flag at half mast and we were quite subdued for the avent but this was because as professionals we had to be seen as being respectful. Xxx

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

?

Phew, there's a relief "

It's true thankfully.

I wasn't keen on her. She courted the limelight, wanted to be a celebrity and then complained when she was one.

over a year ago

"I was genuinely sad when Dianna was killed but I didn't grieve or mourn. At the time I was workin at a horse show with the British red cross so we flew our flag at half mast and we were quite subdued for the avent but this was because as professionals we had to be seen as being respectful. Xxx"

Behind the scenes, did you party hard? Hope so

over a year ago

"Who cares?

Well said

over a year ago

"Jade Goody was the REAL people's princess anyway.

Which people do you refer to? "

Ill educated morons at a guess. She is the epitome of what's wrong with this country at present, so called celebrity status for being stupid, Tracy Soloman being an other prime example.

over a year ago

Or about anyone else you don't know."

correct.

there's hardly anyone I don't know who I'd mourn much, if at all, if they passed.

same as most people. otherwise all we'd do is mourn constantly.

over a year ago

?

Phew, there's a relief

It's true thankfully.

I wasn't keen on her. She courted the limelight, wanted to be a celebrity and then complained when she was one."

Yeah, I agree about that. Swanned around with celebs, got her aides to forewarn the press where she was due to appear etc. Then gave us the doe-eyed, 'poor me' look straight down the lens!

over a year ago

Or about anyone else you don't know.

correct.

there's hardly anyone I don't know who I'd mourn much, if at all, if they passed.

same as most people. otherwise all we'd do is mourn constantly."

Or moan?

over a year ago

Ill educated morons at a guess. She is the epitome of what's wrong with this country at present, so called celebrity status for being stupid, Tracy Soloman being an other prime example. "

Or even her more famous sister? Stacey Solomon? Haha

over a year ago

"I was genuinely sad when Dianna was killed but I didn't grieve or mourn. At the time I was workin at a horse show with the British red cross so we flew our flag at half mast and we were quite subdued for the avent but this was because as professionals we had to be seen as being respectful. Xxx

Behind the scenes, did you party hard? Hope so "

Only at the burger van xxx

over a year ago

Well said .. x Her two boys are the way a head for the family . Good role models. x

By *ightfall79Man
over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

How are these people higher priority than any other life in this country?? Why do people go into mass hysteria for someone they have never spoke to or have no real connection with.

over a year ago

"I was genuinely sad when Dianna was killed but I didn't grieve or mourn. At the time I was workin at a horse show with the British red cross so we flew our flag at half mast and we were quite subdued for the avent but this was because as professionals we had to be seen as being respectful. Xxx

Behind the scenes, did you party hard? Hope so

Only at the burger van xxx"

Double relish on mine darling, wink wink!

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Ill educated morons at a guess. She is the epitome of what's wrong with this country at present, so called celebrity status for being stupid, Tracy Soloman being an other prime example. "

It's not often but I do agree with you

No idea who Tracy is though.

over a year ago

How are these people higher priority than any other life in this country?? Why do people go into mass hysteria for someone they have never spoke to or have no real connection with. "

The Media? An escape from the everyday mundane existence and not getting a meet on Fab?

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I wasn't keen on her. She courted the limelight, wanted to be a celebrity and then complained when she was one.

Yeah, I agree about that. Swanned around with celebs, got her aides to forewarn the press where she was due to appear etc. Then gave us the doe-eyed, 'poor me' look straight down the lens! "

Exactly, they were told she'd be on that boat with Dodi.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

I find them very inspiring, so tonight i shall be attending a party dressed in an SS uniform, then tomorrow i shall mainly be shooting lots of animals, followed by lecuring the rest of the world on the importance of conservation

Yes because of course he has done nothing with his life since making a regrettably clumsy error of judgment unlike many a young lad might do before maturity ....

"

Yes, the mindless hunting of wild animals for nothing but pleasure was way way in the past when he was but a young and impressionable teen and reports of the numerous hunting trips my many family members are just a fantasy put about by those crazy conspiracy theorists- an family of saints to rival Mother Theresa

By *ightfall79Man
over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

How are these people higher priority than any other life in this country?? Why do people go into mass hysteria for someone they have never spoke to or have no real connection with.

The Media? An escape from the everyday mundane existence and not getting a meet on Fab? "

If escaping from mundane existence means grieving for a stranger I will pass. As for the media part there are to many people follow the media like sheep and take every word as gospel. Just my view but I doubt the royals woukd shed a tear if my kids died so why should I shed any tears or have emotion for them.

over a year ago

Ill educated morons at a guess. She is the epitome of what's wrong with this country at present, so called celebrity status for being stupid, Tracy Soloman being an other prime example.

No idea who Tracy is though."

I'll take that, I need it, thank you....she's on that jungle thing follow up programme I think, fake tan and teeth loaned from a donkey with catch phrase of "what am I like?"

over a year ago

"I wasn't keen on her. She courted the limelight, wanted to be a celebrity and then complained when she was one.

Yeah, I agree about that. Swanned around with celebs, got her aides to forewarn the press where she was due to appear etc. Then gave us the doe-eyed, 'poor me' look straight down the lens!

Exactly, they were told she'd be on that boat with Dodi."

Yes, likewise when she sought solace from that Doctor just before the announcement of the divorce.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I'll take that, I need it, thank you....she's on that jungle thing follow up programme I think, fake tan and teeth loaned from a donkey with catch phrase of "what am I like?""

Ah, another reason I don't have a TV

over a year ago

The Media? An escape from the everyday mundane existence and not getting a meet on Fab?

If escaping from mundane existence means grieving for a stranger I will pass. As for the media part there are to many people follow the media like sheep and take every word as gospel. Just my view but I doubt the royals woukd shed a tear if my kids died so why should I shed any tears or have emotion for them."

And God Forbid that should ever happen.

over a year ago

I'll take that, I need it, thank you....she's on that jungle thing follow up programme I think, fake tan and teeth loaned from a donkey with catch phrase of "what am I like?"

Ah, another reason I don't have a TV "

You're missing nothing.

By *aren1956TV/TS
over a year ago

Fakenham

There was no mass hysteria from total strangers when my sister-in-law died in a car crash. Totally sickening.....

By *ightfall79Man
over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

"There was no mass hysteria from total strangers when my sister-in-law died in a car crash. Totally sickening....."

nice to see someone else with my views. Sorry about your sis in law.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"

When the queen dies I think people will mourn but quite differently."

Hopefully quietly and with dignity...

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

I am pro- royalty but never a fan of Diana.

Looking at the bitterness in some of the replies, I think it's a sad reflection on the poster's rather than the royal family...

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

No contest.

The Queen's level of recognition is comparable only to the likes of Jesus Christ and The Virgin Mary.

Mainly due to he fact that she happened to become Monarch during the era technological mass media.

Diana, although achieving 'fame' could in no way command the level of recognition and respect that the Queen does. Additionally, the Queen is primus inter pares with every other world and religious leader, due to her role as Head of State of 16 nations and as Supreme Governor of the Church of England and the wider Anglican Communion. "

I wonder if camilla is looking forward to her future role camilla the first..

By *ongtalljonMan
over a year ago

North Wales

I know that we all hate dash cam footage, but if the car carrying Diana had been fitted with both a dash cam and a rear camera......

over a year ago

No contest.

Diana, although achieving 'fame' could in no way command the level of recognition and respect that the Queen does. Additionally, the Queen is primus inter pares with every other world and religious leader, due to her role as Head of State of 16 nations and as Supreme Governor of the Church of England and the wider Anglican Communion. I wonder if camilla is looking forward to her future role camilla the first.. "

As a consort, she would merely be Queen Camilla. I can't see that happening though. I've a feeling we will see King William V and Queen Catherine as opposed to King Charles III and Queen Camilla.

over a year ago

"I know that we all hate dash cam footage, but if the car carrying Diana had been fitted with both a dash cam and a rear camera......"

The footage would have been sold to the highest bidder and picked over for decades, like the Zapruder footage.

I'd imagine.

over a year ago

"

Hopefully quietly and with dignity..."

As befits any person of advanced years, or anyone really.

I remember when Pope John Paul II was dying and I think it was Sky News who had a breaking news strap proclaiming: "The Pope has flatlined"

I was quite taken aback by how that looked on screen.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes, I like the Princes. But, would we be as hysterical now as then. if one died suddenly? "

Yes I think some people would.

By *ndigo40Woman
over a year ago

secret town

She was murdered

"

It was in the daily mail

over a year ago

She was murdered

It was in the daily mail "

... runs and hides ...

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

She was murdered

It was in the daily mail

... runs and hides ... "

Nah, you're really wrong there!

It's The Express which idolises her in every way possible!

Maybe The Nail got the info from their cheaper rival?

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

She was murdered

It was in the daily mail

... runs and hides ...

Nah, you're really wrong there!

It's The Express which idolises her in every way possible!

Maybe The Nail got the info from their cheaper rival?"

All fingers and thumbs today, meant the Mail

over a year ago

"

Hopefully quietly and with dignity..."

Party in the streets.

Maybe a day off work like with the wedding.

I spent the whole day in the pub putting some of the money back into the economy they took out by deciding the entire country had to stop what the were doing and pay attention to them.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"

Party in the streets.

I spent the whole day in the pub putting some of the money back into the economy they took out by deciding the entire country had to stop what the were doing and pay attention to them."

Yawn...

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"

Party in the streets.

I spent the whole day in the pub putting some of the money back into the economy they took out by deciding the entire country had to stop what the were doing and pay attention to them.

Yawn..."

I heard in the past year on some Royal programme that when the Queen dies, her funeral will be the last major full Pomp & Circumstance style event.

By *evaquitCouple
over a year ago

Catthorpe

**Pops in, sees it's a Republican v Royalist debate...leaves....

Never did like those Republicans**

over a year ago

"**Pops in, sees it's a Republican v Royalist debate...leaves....

Never did like those Republicans**"

I would say the feeling is mutual but I aim my animosity towards the monarchy itself rather than its supporters

over a year ago

She's dead?

over a year ago

"

Party in the streets.

I spent the whole day in the pub putting some of the money back into the economy they took out by deciding the entire country had to stop what the were doing and pay attention to them."

And London shops/hotels/restaurants etc made no money from that wedding at all?! Not to mention dress designers going into over drive because if that dress? Clearly no one made any money from the royal wedding, you spending the day in the pub also did that as you say, everyone was winners (more or less) extra day off for the workers, more money on a Friday for pubs etc, I worked in a golf club and the rise that day in takings what huge as men and women were taking full advantage of the extra day and didn't want to sit and watch the wedding.

It wasn't a 'pay attention to us' day (we'll sort of), he is in line to be king, it's a big thing for some people, it was a day for the people that do care and like the royals to share their wonderful day.

I get that you don't like them but they do bring masses amount of income to business' that without them, wouldn't survive.

over a year ago

And while I think of it, footballers make a ridiculous amount of money for what? Training and running round a pitch once a week, how many of you royal haters love football and happily let them have their millions paid every year, get long breaks each year and don't really do much, yet you happily moan about the cost of 62p (it went up in June) each per year for the royals, you can't even buy a 6 pint of milk with that, but will happily spend £40+ on tickets, shirts etc just to keep those men running round, falling over and going over the top in pain..the queen stood for 6 hours on a boat when she was 86!! 62p per year or over I have no idea how much to be a football fan

G x

over a year ago

Everytime i read these debates the anti royalists just come across as, I'm cooler than you because I hate them more!

I'm sat on the fence, im neither for or against.

over a year ago

"And while I think of it, footballers make a ridiculous amount of money for what? Training and running round a pitch once a week, how many of you royal haters love football and happily let them have their millions paid every year, get long breaks each year and don't really do much, yet you happily moan about the cost of 62p (it went up in June) each per year for the royals, you can't even buy a 6 pint of milk with that, but will happily spend £40+ on tickets, shirts etc just to keep those men running round, falling over and going over the top in pain..the queen stood for 6 hours on a boat when she was 86!! 62p per year or over I have no idea how much to be a football fan

G x"

I'm not a fan of footy either for some of the reasons you state

over a year ago

"And while I think of it, footballers make a ridiculous amount of money for what? Training and running round a pitch once a week, how many of you royal haters love football and happily let them have their millions paid every year, get long breaks each year and don't really do much, yet you happily moan about the cost of 62p (it went up in June) each per year for the royals, you can't even buy a 6 pint of milk with that, but will happily spend £40+ on tickets, shirts etc just to keep those men running round, falling over and going over the top in pain..the queen stood for 6 hours on a boat when she was 86!! 62p per year or over I have no idea how much to be a football fan

G x"

Do you go to the cinema and watch actors who are paid a shit load of money for doing nothing worthwhile in life?

over a year ago

G x

Do you go to the cinema and watch actors who are paid a shit load of money for doing nothing worthwhile in life?"

not if I can help it

mainly because I'm a tight arse though and would rather stream a film on line than pay cinema prices..what a swizz!

over a year ago

G x

Do you go to the cinema and watch actors who are paid a shit load of money for doing nothing worthwhile in life?

not if I can help it

mainly because I'm a tight arse though and would rather stream a film on line than pay cinema prices..what a swizz! "

Same here. It just annoys me that it's always footballers that are used when it comes to money. There are lots of "jobs" that pay more than they are worth.

I don't hate the royals but I won't bow or curtsey to them and I don't think they are better than me.

over a year ago

G x

not if I can help it

mainly because I'm a tight arse though and would rather stream a film on line than pay cinema prices..what a swizz!

Same here. It just annoys me that it's always footballers that are used when it comes to money. There are lots of "jobs" that pay more than they are worth.

I don't hate the royals but I won't bow or curtsey to them and I don't think they are better than me."

I suppose footballers are the ones held up as examples when it comes to stuff like this. I can see why but yeah, there are loads of people stuck on pedestals for not a hell of a lot..footy is so much in the public eye I guess and you either like it or don't where with films Im guessing most people will like some film or other somewhere. maybe..that's my own daft musing on it anyhow

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

I don't really get it... Ok so I felt a bit of a 'oh, that's a shame.' When some famous people died... But that's it. My mum pulled over on the motorway to cry when she heard Princess Diana died.....

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"

Party in the streets.

And London shops/hotels/restaurants etc made no money from that wedding at all?! Not to mention dress designers going into over drive because if that dress? Clearly no one made any money from the royal wedding, you spending the day in the pub also did that as you say, everyone was winners (more or less) extra day off for the workers, more money on a Friday for pubs etc, I worked in a golf club and the rise that day in takings what huge as men and women were taking full advantage of the extra day and didn't want to sit and watch the wedding.

It wasn't a 'pay attention to us' day (we'll sort of), he is in line to be king, it's a big thing for some people, it was a day for the people that do care and like the royals to share their wonderful day.

I get that you don't like them but they do bring masses amount of income to business' that without them, wouldn't survive."

And does democracy come from royalty ? I,ve not looked it up I just thought it did.

over a year ago

G x

not if I can help it

I don't hate the royals but I won't bow or curtsey to them and I don't think they are better than me.

I suppose footballers are the ones held up as examples when it comes to stuff like this. I can see why but yeah, there are loads of people stuck on pedestals for not a hell of a lot..footy is so much in the public eye I guess and you either like it or don't where with films Im guessing most people will like some film or other somewhere. maybe..that's my own daft musing on it anyhow "

Most Actors are stupidly overpaid too, I used footballers as an example only, I personally am not a fan of any job that pays stupidly for people that have no real talent, doctors etc should be paid those kinds of wages in my opinion. When it comes to the royals though, while they have the no 'talent' that I speak of, a few of the core royals do tremendous work for charities etc and like I've said I don't begrudge the 62p a year for the good they do and the income they bring to local businesses ..on the flip side you have someone like angelina jolie who is not only an actress but someone that tries to make a difference in the world, she is the kind of actor I don't mind being paid that little bit more.

G x

over a year ago

"I don't really get it... Ok so I felt a bit of a 'oh, that's a shame.' When some famous people died... But that's it. My mum pulled over on the motorway to cry when she heard Princess Diana died..... "

I think it's an emotion that might not come again, take it when elvis died for instance while maybe not on the same scale to Diana, even now 40 years later the people that still attend Elvis week to mourn him is mind blowing.

I don't think anyone can explain it with Diana

G x

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I don't really get it... Ok so I felt a bit of a 'oh, that's a shame.' When some famous people died... But that's it. My mum pulled over on the motorway to cry when she heard Princess Diana died.....

I think it's an emotion that might not come again, take it when elvis died for instance while maybe not on the same scale to Diana, even now 40 years later the people that still attend Elvis week to mourn him is mind blowing.

I don't think anyone can explain it with Diana

G x"

The Peoples Princess..

over a year ago

I remember waking up in the morning with a hangover after a night out only to be greeted by my radio alarm playing some god awful pan pipes song, the song then ended and relayed the information that she had been killed in a accident my immediate throught was who gives a fuck ,why have I got to listen to this rubbish play some decent music.

Being a bit older and wiser if I was to hear the news now my reaction would be,how sad that 2 children have lost there mother but apart from that who gives a fuck.

Why would I go into mourning about a women I have never met and who was in a privileged position through marriage and not hard work and be married into a family I care little for who happen to be the royal family of my county. For me respect is earned and not given freely.

I would be more upset by the death of a person that had made a difference to people's lives whilst giving a Personal sacrifice. There was less public mourning in this country as I remember for the death of nelson Mandela than Dianna. Some people just love a bit of grief mongering and to worship false idols,god help us when Katie price dies she will probably be remembered as a saint

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"I remember waking up in the morning with a hangover after a night out only to be greeted by my radio alarm playing some god awful pan pipes song, the song then ended and relayed the information that she had been killed in a accident my immediate throught was who gives a fuck ,why have I got to listen to this rubbish play some decent music.

Being a bit older and wiser if I was to hear the news now my reaction would be,how sad that 2 children have lost there mother but apart from that who gives a fuck.

Why would I go into mourning about a women I have never met and who was in a privileged position through marriage and not hard work and be married into a family I care little for who happen to be the royal family of my county. For me respect is earned and not given freely.

I would be more upset by the death of a person that had made a difference to people's lives whilst giving a Personal sacrifice. There was less public mourning in this country as I remember for the death of nelson Mandela than Dianna. Some people just love a bit of grief mongering and to worship false idols,god help us when Katie price dies she will probably be remembered as a saint "

Diana and Mandela both had good PR teams...

over a year ago

"**Pops in, sees it's a Republican v Royalist debate...leaves....

Never did like those Republicans**"

I didn't intend it to be

over a year ago

"Everytime i read these debates the anti royalists just come across as, I'm cooler than you because I hate them more!

I'm sat on the fence, im neither for or against"

Likewise. I do have respect and admiration for the Queen for her age, dedication and loyalty to the role.

The number of times I bet she's thought "I'd rather be sat at home watching Homes Under The Hammer, feet up with some tea and toast, instead of opening this factory." Must be myriad!

Post new Message to Thread