Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Peeps unable to vote ...

Jump to newest

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

the polls opened at 7am ... why oh why were they turning up in droves at the last minute?

Were they waiting until last orders or what?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fuck em. They had 15 hours to vote. They could have missed tea and had it later. Lazy arses.

over a year ago

Some folk will do anything to get on TV, soft feckers

over a year ago

Some daft bint was saying "It's shocking, we take it very seriously."

Yeah? Get the fook outta bed earlier and go vote then! grrrr

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8pm on and didn't get in!

over a year ago

what will happen there?? xx

over a year ago

"what will happen there?? xx"

Nowt xx

over a year ago

"Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8pm on and didn't get in! "

No card - no vote. That's how we combat election rigging ffs.

over a year ago

Bucks

bet some lawyers are rubbing their hands atm with possible legal challenges by labour candidates

kenching !!

over a year ago

"Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8pm on and didn't get in!

No card - no vote. That's how we combat election rigging ffs."

Actually mate i have never yet used my card xx

over a year ago

"Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8pm on and didn't get in!

Actually mate i have never yet used my card xx"

Fraud!! Cheater!! ... I'm too honest, I could have voted ten times for the Tories tonight!!

over a year ago

Bucks

"Actually mate i have never yet used my card xx"

They dont need yr card to know who youve voted for ... they note down the number of yr ballot paper against yr name ... so can track back to see whom you have voted for

over a year ago

My lads never used their cards - no problem in the more rural areas I guess.

Was thinking though that if somebody works a 12 hour shift they still might be struggling to get to the polling station?

over a year ago

personally I blame Jeremy Kyle for putting repeats on all day. They should have scheduled the polls outside those hours, if there are any.

over a year ago

"Actually mate i have never yet used my card xx

They dont need yr card to know who youve voted for ... they note down the number of yr ballot paper against yr name ... so can track back to see whom you have voted for "

Yeah i know that lol i just walk in and they tick my name off my poll card stays at home xx

over a year ago

here was me rounding people up this mornin and makin them go to the voting station lol!!

i cant wait to scrutinise everythin from around this area !

i really need to get out more lol xx

over a year ago

Fraud!! Cheater!! ... I'm too honest, I could have voted ten times for the Tories tonight!! "

Na ya couldn't lol they cross ya name off as one of the posters says it may be easier to do in rural areas lol x

over a year ago

Typical students couldn't be bothered bringing their polling cards along, lazy sods.

What about that crazy looking woman from Nick Cleggs constituency fuming because she couldn't vote. FFS i left for work at 6am this morning and returned home at 6.45pm and voted at 7pm. What is her problem?

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Actually mate i have never yet used my card xx"

you don't need your card but it takes more time to check that you are who you say you are thus slowing things down.

over a year ago

"Typical students couldn't be bothered bringing their polling cards along, lazy sods.

What about that crazy looking woman from Nick Cleggs constituency fuming because she couldn't vote. FFS i left for work at 6am this morning and returned home at 6.45pm and voted at 7pm. What is her problem?"

Precisely. Silly cow.

over a year ago

Bucks

"

Precisely. Silly cow. "

Just say it as it is eh, no punches pulled

over a year ago

Fraud!! Cheater!! ... I'm too honest, I could have voted ten times for the Tories tonight!!

Na ya couldn't lol they cross ya name off as one of the posters says it may be easier to do in rural areas lol x"

No voter card needed here either which was just as well as one of us threw them away this weekend

Name and address was all that was required and as regards those who work long shifts the postal vote is the solution rather than bleating about opening hours

over a year ago

"Typical students couldn't be bothered bringing their polling cards along, lazy sods.

What about that crazy looking woman from Nick Cleggs constituency fuming because she couldn't vote. FFS i left for work at 6am this morning and returned home at 6.45pm and voted at 7pm. What is her problem?"

oi!! i took my card!! dont tar us all the same! funny thing is students usually the least amount of voters xx

over a year ago

you don't need your card but it takes more time to check that you are who you say you are thus slowing things down.

"

Dont have much problem with queuing in my village lol

just me the vicar and a cow or two lol xx

over a year ago

"

Precisely. Silly cow.

Just say it as it is eh, no punches pulled "

Yup. If she'd dug her 4x4 out of the mire at 6pm like all the other farmers she'd have got there on time.

over a year ago

Bucks

Dear olde Mandy was bemaoning that its traditionally Red voters who cast their vote late in the day ... no doubt he means they get up late in the day like himself

over a year ago

What about that crazy looking woman from Nick Cleggs constituency fuming because she couldn't vote. FFS i left for work at 6am this morning and returned home at 6.45pm and voted at 7pm. What is her problem?

oi!! i took my card!! dont tar us all the same! funny thing is students usually the least amount of voters xx"

Right ok, what time could you be bothered getting out your bed to vote

over a year ago

30th April, bout 10am. Stuck in the red box at the end of the street.

By *1sexypairCouple
over a year ago

Retford

Actually if I had to have work a 12hr shift and was on 6am to 6pm today (on Annual leave) I wouldn’t be able to vote would be home in time coz it not just the 12hr shift it the hrs drive each way to and from work I would have so I opted for me postal vote oh and did send them back with all the code still attached to them Mr T

over a year ago

Hmm.. I never knew that. If you AT the polling station by 10pm, with your ballot papers, they have to let you vote regardless of how long it takes to process everyone. Major fuck up there.

over a year ago

Here's crazy woman on BBC2

Stupid fucker

over a year ago

oi!! i took my card!! dont tar us all the same! funny thing is students usually the least amount of voters xx

Right ok, what time could you be bothered getting out your bed to vote "

im up at 7am every mornin !! with the exception of school holidays and wk ends lol!!! xx

over a year ago

Bucks

"Actually if I had to have work a 12hr shift and was on 6am to 6pm today (on Annual leave) I wouldn’t be able to vote would be home in time coz it not just the 12hr shift it the hrs drive each way to and from work I would have so I opted for me postal vote oh and did send them back with all the code still attached to them Mr T"

But Kev ... did u slip in any pics from Fri night to keep the vote counters amused?

over a year ago

Bucks

"Hmm.. I never knew that. If you AT the polling station by 10pm, with your ballot papers, they have to let you vote regardless of how long it takes to process everyone. Major fuck up there."

Conflicting views there ... some are saying its down to the discretion of the RO

over a year ago

The two parties that don't win (Labour and Libdems) will spend hours tomorrorw moasning about a few hundred people who couldn't be arsed to queue and so missed out on voting cos they left it till the last minute. Stuff em. Millions of other people made it on time, why change the system for a few lazy gits who are now bleating like sheep.

over a year ago

"Hmm.. I never knew that. If you AT the polling station by 10pm, with your ballot papers, they have to let you vote regardless of how long it takes to process everyone. Major fuck up there.

Conflicting views there ... some are saying its down to the discretion of the RO "

The Electoral Commission just issued a statement. They have the final say.

over a year ago

"The two parties that don't win (Labour and Libdems) will spend hours tomorrorw moasning about a few hundred people who couldn't be arsed to queue and so missed out on voting cos they left it till the last minute. Stuff em. Millions of other people made it on time, why change the system for a few lazy gits who are now bleating like sheep. "

come on wishy i think most losers will be moanin no matter what party they are with!

would just like to say this much though, thanks to you and craig and jane and juicy and even bucks couple for the last few wks iv learned more here than i ever could in any politics lecture and the last few hrs have flew in and took a lot off my mind even if i want to sit in a pub and shout at you lol xx

over a year ago

Bucks

"The Electoral Commission just issued a statement. They have the final say."

Trust it said they are all knob heads and should have got out of bed earlier?

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Would it be easier for on line voting or text voting with peeps using proof via a pin no?

over a year ago

"The two parties that don't win (Labour and Libdems) will spend hours tomorrorw moasning about a few hundred people who couldn't be arsed to queue and so missed out on voting cos they left it till the last minute. Stuff em. Millions of other people made it on time, why change the system for a few lazy gits who are now bleating like sheep.

come on wishy i think most losers will be moanin no matter what party they are with!

would just like to say this much though, thanks to you and craig and jane and juicy and even bucks couple for the last few wks iv learned more here than i ever could in any politics lecture and the last few hrs have flew in and took a lot off my mind even if i want to sit in a pub and shout at you lol xx"

We luvs ya hun xxxxxxx

over a year ago

oh fuck security alert in derry on phone with cousin says it bloody chaos xx

over a year ago

"oh fuck security alert in derry on phone with cousin says it bloody chaos xx"

Why??

over a year ago

if you are INSIDE the polling staion then you are able to carry on my view is if i can get my kids up at 6 am breakfast ready for school and walk a 20 min walk to my polling station then so can the ones moanng they had to stand out in the rain , they open from 7am ffs and dont shut till 10 so plenty time and failing that you can do proxy vote or postal

over a year ago

Bucks

"Would it be easier for on line voting or text voting with peeps using proof via a pin no? "

or just get all 3 parties up in front of Simon, Peers & Amanda ??

over a year ago

Bucks

"would just like to say this much though, thanks to you and craig and jane and juicy and even bucks couple for the last few wks iv learned more here than i ever could in any politics lecture and the last few hrs have flew in and took a lot off my mind even if i want to sit in a pub and shout at you lol xx"

y v w

over a year ago

"oh fuck security alert in derry on phone with cousin says it bloody chaos xx

Why??"

somethin to do with a car? and counting she not too sure but says everywhere sealed off xx

over a year ago

Why??

somethin to do with a car? and counting she not too sure but says everywhere sealed off xx"

Oh dear xx

over a year ago

"The two parties that don't win (Labour and Libdems) will spend hours tomorrorw moasning about a few hundred people who couldn't be arsed to queue and so missed out on voting cos they left it till the last minute. Stuff em. Millions of other people made it on time, why change the system for a few lazy gits who are now bleating like sheep.

would just like to say this much though, thanks to you and craig and jane and juicy and even bucks couple for the last few wks iv learned more here than i ever could in any politics lecture and the last few hrs have flew in and took a lot off my mind even if i want to sit in a pub and shout at you lol xx

We luvs ya hun xxxxxxx "

I am fully aware that you thought I was an arsehole a few weeks ago but hopefully I've managed to change your opinion on that. I respect people who can debate, put their views across yet still remain able to have a civil word afterwards.

These politicians you know, they all go drinking together after bawling at each other across the House. They know that there is life after politics and networking is the name of the game.

over a year ago

And some of em sleep together too lol xx

over a year ago

of course i still think your an arsehole you vote tory lol!!!! you not changed my mind brainwashing or a frontal lobotomy couldnt do that!!

its just good to see things from the other side and to have a debate that sparks the mind and makes you think!

see if parliament was made with swingers the country would be a far better place and a fairer place!

even for single guys!! xx

over a year ago

"And some of em sleep together too lol xx"

Only in Wales.

over a year ago

"of course i still think your an arsehole you vote tory lol!!!! you not changed my mind brainwashing or a frontal lobotomy couldnt do that!!

its just good to see things from the other side and to have a debate that sparks the mind and makes you think!

see if parliament was made with swingers the country would be a far better place and a fairer place!

even for single guys!! xx "

Yea put me as PM and things would all be better lol xx

over a year ago

Why??

somethin to do with a car? and counting she not too sure but says everywhere sealed off xx"

From the BBC

0017: Counting at a centre in Londonderry has been officially suspended following a security alert. About 500 people have been moved out of the Templemore Sports Complex after a hijacked car was abandoned in the car park. The gymnasium where the count was taking place has been closed and the doors sealed. Army bomb disposal experts are on the scene

over a year ago

"see if parliament was made with swingers the country would be a far better place and a fairer place!

You think so

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Firstly, it's clear there have been some cockups and inconsistencies (not enough ballot papers, closed doors with people in/out, etc), and the subsequent criticism that will rain in from around the world is entirely justified - this will be an embarrassment for one of the oldest democracies.

However...that bloody wild-eyed Sheffield whinger shaking with anger at being denied democratic process has wound me up.

It's interesting that all these people whining are the "I always vote" crowd - I always vote, and usually as soon as I get home from work. But because I was away on a course today, I organised a postal vote, so as to insure myself against any issues in getting there on time. It therefore seems odd to me that all the people that got there first are the "additional turnout".

over a year ago

"see if parliament was made with swingers the country would be a far better place and a fairer place!

You think so"

hmmm well unless i was made womans minister then the poor sods are auctioned to the highest bidder lol!!! xx

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"

Especially for single guys - we're a majority!!

over a year ago

"

Especially for single guys - we're a majority!! "

Experience tells us that despite the bad press you single guys are not the biggest problem in the swinging world

over a year ago

"Everyone is terribly angry." ooo awfully fussed is one? Tough shit.

over a year ago

we less than 3 hrs in and its looking very bad! so many went missin in the post then the ones that couldnt etc and now alex bloody salmond on the tv!!! xx

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

These people that missed out on voting were quite right to be annoyed.

Although turning up just before 10 seems a tad foolish, but the volumes of people wanting to vote has taken everyone by surprise and the council staff that manage the polling stations were caught out I guess.

I would hope that next time they set off a little earlier

over a year ago

no problems in scotland loL!!!!!

yay for once we can feel superior lol!!! xx

By *1sexypairCouple
over a year ago

Retford

"Actually if I had to have work a 12hr shift and was on 6am to 6pm today (on Annual leave) I wouldn’t be able to vote would be home in time coz it not just the 12hr shift it the hrs drive each way to and from work I would have so I opted for me postal vote oh and did send them back with all the code still attached to them Mr T

But Kev ... did u slip in any pics from Fri night to keep the vote counters amused? "

Sorry bucks postal papers went before the weeknd and if i have my way they wont see the light of day PMSL

over a year ago

Bucks

There are rumours that Chris has already posted them on the web mate

over a year ago

the more i read the more shambolic it sounds with invalid votes and missing ballots...

By *1sexypairCouple
over a year ago

Retford

"There are rumours that Chris has already posted them on the web mate "

no change of that happering has there on my lappy and not hers lol

over a year ago

Bucks

J I M ????????????

over a year ago

Already calling for legal challenges to seats where people were turned away xx

By *iggles and BeardyCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

They should have come to bristol, was umm only me and daughter, when I walked in to vote..

over a year ago

Same here just up the road

over a year ago

Bucks

was very quiet in my local PS when I turned up at about 5pm after work ... though I did think it a bit strange that there were only 2 booths in a big church hall

over a year ago

"My lads never used their cards - no problem in the more rural areas I guess.

Was thinking though that if somebody works a 12 hour shift they still might be struggling to get to the polling station? "

All sorts of reasons I guess, I remember years ago (1979 I think) they used to come round your house and take you to the polling station! I waited for the Tory guy coming for me, then voted Labour! As I always will!

over a year ago

Just saw something scroll along the bottom of the screen saying those who didnt get to vote could sue for £750.

Some QC I think it said.

Not sure exactly how they would be able to prove they had been quing, since no one got the names of those who didnt vote but were quing outside to my knowledge.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

This is a democracy; no-one stops ppl voting and the times for voting is very well advertised. However, if you really feel that you were were deprived of the right to vote having turned up in time, please get in touch with your local Council immediately as they appoint the Returning Officer who must ensure that elections are run fairly. If you were there before 10pm you had a right to vote!

over a year ago

"This is a democracy; no-one stops ppl voting and the times for voting is very well advertised. However, if you really feel that you were were deprived of the right to vote having turned up in time, please get in touch with your local Council immediately as they appoint the Returning Officer who must ensure that elections are run fairly. If you were there before 10pm you had a right to vote! "

If you had checked in and were in possession of your ballot paper, you had the right to vote. The woman from the Electoral Commission clarified that earlier hon. x

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

No card - no vote. That's how we combat election rigging ffs."

You don't need your polling card to vote.

over a year ago

You don't need your polling card to vote."

Yeah, I get that now. Seems a bit pointless sending them out really.

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

Yeah, I get that now. Seems a bit pointless sending them out really. "

I know, think it's more of a reminder lol

over a year ago

Yeah, I get that now. Seems a bit pointless sending them out really.

I know, think it's more of a reminder lol"

Moved house recently, managed to vote with my passport and household bills. Brother who lives in Sheffield left here (Wales) at 4pm, he also managed to vote hundreds of mile away in Sheffield. Did those students remember their names and wards?

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

"Just saw something scroll along the bottom of the screen saying those who didnt get to vote could sue for £750.

Some QC I think it said.

"

That would be interesting, as effectively anyone who tried to claim that would be saying "I was denied my democratic right, but I can be bought off for the price of a nice TV"

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

"Just saw something scroll along the bottom of the screen saying those who didnt get to vote could sue for £750.

Some QC I think it said.

"

Not Cherie Blair by chance?

over a year ago

Some QC I think it said.

Not Cherie Blair by chance? "

Whoever the fook if you think you were prevented from voting, call your work in an hour or so and tell them you were prevented from voting so have to go make a complaint to the Presiding Officer cos his/her role will be finished shortly and you'll have no-one to complain to!

over a year ago

"the polls opened at 7am ... why oh why were they turning up in droves at the last minute?

"

Couldn't agree more, was thinking the same thing!

I don't believe all those people worked 12 hour shifts and couldn't vote!

over a year ago

Oh btw, not going to be a Queens touting for business! This soon, they ain't even woken up after the port! Lords luv em!

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

"the polls opened at 7am ... why oh why were they turning up in droves at the last minute?

Couldn't agree more, was thinking the same thing!

I don't believe all those people worked 12 hour shifts and couldn't vote! "

some of the reports are from people who had been queing hours by the time they were turned away though ...even i'd have thought turning up anywhere by 7.30 would have been ample time to get in and vote by 10

over a year ago

If that's so, has to be investigated, votes cast and counted! x

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8666537.stm

situations like the guy in liverpool twice turned away because there were no ballot papers and then facing a huge queue make a mockery of those seats

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Hmmm it doesn't look like people who left it to the very last minute to vote.

Seems a mass cock up in some places.......but personally, if I had got there with plenty of time to vote, I would have been peed off too that they wouldn't let me.

over a year ago

"My lads never used their cards - no problem in the more rural areas I guess.

Was thinking though that if somebody works a 12 hour shift they still might be struggling to get to the polling station?

All sorts of reasons I guess, I remember years ago (1979 I think) they used to come round your house and take you to the polling station! I waited for the Tory guy coming for me, then voted Labour! As I always will! "

i think we are related!! my gran and papa done it every yr lol!! they used to get a lift from the labour people then refuse to tell them who they voted for!! xx

over a year ago

"http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8666537.stm

situations like the guy in liverpool twice turned away because there were no ballot papers and then facing a huge queue make a mockery of those seats "

He could have gone to another polling station, couldn't he?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

situations like the guy in liverpool twice turned away because there were no ballot papers and then facing a huge queue make a mockery of those seats

He could have gone to another polling station, couldn't he?"

Can you? Our names where checked off by a woman with a list....would every polling station have every wards list?

By *ausage and sizzleCouple
over a year ago

Barnstaple

Maybe this is an argument for the use of technology and voting online?

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Can you? Our names where checked off by a woman with a list....would every polling station have every wards list?"

good point ...doubtful..

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The fact of the matter is........people were turned away even if they had been stood in a queue for a while....I am sure there were people who turned up at the last minute......but if they were still there before 10 oclock...they havn't done anything wrong for people to say, stuff you, you should have got there earlier.

As for running out of ballot papers.......shouldn't they have been more organised?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Maybe this is an argument for the use of technology and voting online?"

You just know what would happen then, the sites would crash like the Inland Revenue one did when so many people were trying to use it at the same time on the last day of getting your tax forms in

over a year ago

"Maybe this is an argument for the use of technology and voting online?"

well you would think so but i use 3 mobile broadband and its a bugger for crashin!!

i dont think there any foolproof ways, postal votes have been lost etc, overcrowded polling station, shortage of papers full thing needs an overhaul and every option used!! x

over a year ago

"Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8p

m on and didn't get in! "

fuck the students

over a year ago

Can you? Our names where checked off by a woman with a list....would every polling station have every wards list?"

I don't know hon, I'm not sure if every polling station has a list of everyone in that constituency or just that particular ward. It is pathetic that they didn't have enough ballot papers for everyone on their list and heads should roll for not ensuring that even if 100% of people turned out to vote that they could all actually vote.

The woman in Hallam who was moaning went to the polling station three times 6pm, 7pm, 8pm but saw the queues and fucked off home. She then went back at 9pm and realised she'd have to queue anyway, and then she couldn't vote as 10pm came and went. Her fault. Nobody else's.

By *averiMan
over a year ago

Swindon to bristol

totally agree...its their own faults!

"

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"The fact of the matter is........people were turned away even if they had been stood in a queue for a while....I am sure there were people who turned up at the last minute......but if they were still there before 10 oclock...they havn't done anything wrong for people to say, stuff you, you should have got there earlier.

As for running out of ballot papers.......shouldn't they have been more organised?"

I agree, but you do need some cut-off point. Maybe they should of had someone at the end of the queue stopping people who came after the 10pm deadline, but still allowing all the others to vote. After all, it wasn't their fault that the system couldn't cope.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Looks like they had a few hundred students flocking in at 6pm without voting slips and it clogged the system in Sheffield. some queued from 8p

m on and didn't get in!

fuck the students"

is that an offer ..

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Can you? Our names where checked off by a woman with a list....would every polling station have every wards list?

I don't know hon, I'm not sure if every polling station has a list of everyone in that constituency or just that particular ward. It is pathetic that they didn't have enough ballot papers for everyone on their list and heads should roll for not ensuring that even if 100% of people turned out to vote that they could all actually vote.

The woman in Hallam who was moaning went to the polling station three times 6pm, 7pm, 8pm but saw the queues and fucked off home. She then went back at 9pm and realised she'd have to queue anyway, and then she couldn't vote as 10pm came and went. Her fault. Nobody else's."

I would say not being her fault. If she was there in what she thought would be plenty of time, and she was, then she has done what was asked.......trying to vote within the alloted time.

over a year ago

m on and didn't get in!

fuck the students

is tha

t an offer .. if ur a student get a fuking job

"

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 07/05/10 09:52:56]

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

[Removed by poster at 07/05/10 09:52:11]

over a year ago

After 10pm, the only people who can vote are those who have had their names crossed off and are in possession of their ballot papers (the ones you actually put your 'X' on). Even if other people are in the polling station about to be served, at 10pm they cannot vote if they haven't got their ballot papers.

In African elections recently they left the stations open for a couple of days but they did that because they knew the people often have to walk 50 miles to vote and don't have the luxury of transport, either private or public. We cannot have that type of system over here as we have a very frenetic government where issues need to be dealt with daily and we cannot have an ungoverned country whilst waiting for the polls to close for a couple of days.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"The fact of the matter is........people were turned away even if they had been stood in a queue for a while....I am sure there were people who turned up at the last minute......but if they were still there before 10 oclock...they havn't done anything wrong for people to say, stuff you, you should have got there earlier.

As for running out of ballot papers.......shouldn't they have been more organised?

I agree, but you do need some cut-off point. Maybe they should of had someone at the end of the queue stopping people who came after the 10pm deadline, but still allowing all the others to vote. After all, it wasn't their fault that the system couldn't cope."

Exactly, I agree with that.......those that were there before 10 be allowed to vote even if they locked them all in the polling station until every vote was cast.

( hopefully then being able to do a bit of networking with the people waiting to get back out to see if there were any swingers about )

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"[Removed by poster at 07/05/10 09:52:56]"

I like your thinking! lol.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

m on and didn't get in!

fuck the students

is tha

t an offer .. if ur a student get a fuking job

"

Ahh so its just the students with a job then ..

seriously i cant believe in a first world country we are still using a victorian method of voting ...

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"After 10pm, the only people who can vote are those who have had their names crossed off and are in possession of their ballot papers (the ones you actually put your 'X' on). Even if other people are in the polling station about to be served, at 10pm they cannot vote if they haven't got their ballot papers.

In African elections recently they left the stations open for a couple of days but they did that because they knew the people often have to walk 50 miles to vote and don't have the luxury of transport, either private or public. We cannot have that type of system over here as we have a very frenetic government where issues need to be dealt with daily and we cannot have an ungoverned country whilst waiting for the polls to close for a couple of days."

I thought I had read somewhere that it was up to the Returning Officer as to wether he says people can vote if they were already there? ( not sure where I read it or even if I dreamt it so don't quote me )

over a year ago

Barnstaple

I agree, but you do need some cut-off point. Maybe they should of had someone at the end of the queue stopping people who came after the 10pm deadline, but still allowing all the others to vote. After all, it wasn't their fault that the system couldn't cope.

Exactly, I agree with that.......those that were there before 10 be allowed to vote even if they locked them all in the polling station until every vote was cast.

( hopefully then being able to do a bit of networking with the people waiting to get back out to see if there were any swingers about )"

Is that what they call a swing voter?

over a year ago

"After 10pm, the only people who can vote are those who have had their names crossed off and are in possession of their ballot papers (the ones you actually put your 'X' on). Even if other people are in the polling station about to be served, at 10pm they cannot vote if they haven't got their ballot papers.

In African elections recently they left the stations open for a couple of days but they did that because they knew the people often have to walk 50 miles to vote and don't have the luxury of transport, either private or public. We cannot have that type of system over here as we have a very frenetic government where issues need to be dealt with daily and we cannot have an ungoverned country whilst waiting for the polls to close for a couple of days.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was up to the Returning Officer as to wether he says people can vote if they were already there? ( not sure where I read it or even if I dreamt it so don't quote me )"

The Electoral Commission set out how an election should be conducted as per the law but have no powers of directive to Returning Officers on what they should do in cases like this. The Commission has been saying for some time that our current structure for conducting elections was creaking at the seams and would break sometime soon. I guess that 'soon' arrived last night.

So it's not just Westminster politics that need reforming but the way we vote does too.

over a year ago

As for running out of ballot papers.......shouldn't they have been more organised?"

My understanding is the ballot box closes at 10pm. It doesn't matter if you have marked your x if it's not in the box: that's it!!

Those polling stations that locked their doors at 10pm with people inside still allowed to vote are in breach of the rules.

I know when I'm sending documents to Employment Tribunals the deadline is 12 midnight. If the papers are sent 00.00.04 my case is thrown out! There are deadlines for a reason.

As for running out of ballot papers?!! That's a new one!!

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was an election in a third world country wouldn't you?!!

over a year ago

My understanding is the ballot box closes at 10pm. It doesn't matter if you have marked your x if it's not in the box: that's it!!

Those polling stations that locked their doors at 10pm with people inside still allowed to vote are in breach of the rules.

I know when I'm sending documents to Employment Tribunals the deadline is 12 midnight. If the papers are sent 00.00.04 my case is thrown out! There are deadlines for a reason.

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was an election in a third world country wouldn't you?!! "

with our debt levels....we soon will be

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was an election in a third world country wouldn't you?!! "

lolol @ Dandl

Ta wishy

And yeah , you wonder don't you you Sassy

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually one of the funny things about this sort of thing in the US is that they are allowed to do one of two things...

1) anyone that was in the Queue by 10pm is allowed to vote....

2) actually extend the voting hrs... in a few states they were allowed to extend by an hour....

but when you hear of incidents all across the country, sheffield, liverpool, london, newcastle, birmingham ect ect........ then they have a problem..

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

"

Sums it up really, 15 hours, not difficult to get it done is it?

over a year ago

m on and didn't get in!

fuck the students"

i love fuckin students you get intellectual conversation and half a kebab if you lucky! x

over a year ago

Took 10 minutes to park, vote and get back on with life. They had 15 whole hours to make there voices heard, they obviously couldnt be arsed to get it done, or their lives are so hectic that 10 minutes just wasnt an option!!! Maybe next time a?????

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Isn't as cut and dried as it may seem in some of the polling stations, some never had enough ballot papers to match the amount of polling cards they had sent out, seems some of the Election Officials looked at previous turn out figures and under estimated the ballot papers they would need....not too clever.

There are also reports of polling stations moving this time around to smaller venues, I know our polling station was held in a much smaller building this time around with only One pair of officials where last time we had Two pairs of officials.

It seems this was the case in many parts of the country according to Sky News, maybe the fault lies just as much with the Electoral Commission?

Post new Message to Thread