Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scottish Stonehenge

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Woke scientists who seem driven by inclusion rather than science are claiming that the so called alter stone of Stonehenge, the ancient folly built in Wilshire, is from Scotland and not Wales as previously thought. It is said to come from Orkney which is over 400 miles from Stonehenge and ancient Britons would have completed that journey quicker than a modern electric car. Orkney is closer to Oslo that London and once a Norwegian outpost so It could be argued hat Stonehenge is European which England left by popular demand after the Brexit vote. It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *batMan
5 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

" It's all over the news"

Why haven't I seen it then? Are you exaggerating Thomas? You can be a very naughty boy sometimes.

Gbat

By (user no longer on site)
5 weeks ago

I've always wondered what happened to the missing stones.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

In all seriousness this is a fascinating development. The only way I can imagine they did this was by sea. The altar stone would still have needed to travel some distance over land.

By *r John WickMan
5 weeks ago

The Continental

Dunno what all the fuss is about. It’s just a few big bricks.

By *wist my nipplesCouple
5 weeks ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"In all seriousness this is a fascinating development. The only way I can imagine they did this was by sea. The altar stone would still have needed to travel some distance over land. "

Isn’t it? Blows my mind. Neolithic Orkney is a fascinating place and the possibility of a link with Stonehenge - I know, it’s a leap - is incredible.

Mrs TMN x

By *emorefridaCouple
5 weeks ago

La la land

"In all seriousness this is a fascinating development. The only way I can imagine they did this was by sea. The altar stone would still have needed to travel some distance over land.

Isn’t it? Blows my mind. Neolithic Orkney is a fascinating place and the possibility of a link with Stonehenge - I know, it’s a leap - is incredible.

Mrs TMN x"

It's ridiculously cool, think the building of circles originated up your way. So it kinda makes sense that they moved it to Stonehenge, must have been so precious to them to move it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

"In all seriousness this is a fascinating development. The only way I can imagine they did this was by sea. The altar stone would still have needed to travel some distance over land.

Mrs TMN x"

There's evidence of people from all over what is now the UK visiting Stonehenge for some purpose. How they knew where it was, when to go etc I have no idea. I guess there were people who travelled the country spreading news etc. But how did they know when to go?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
5 weeks ago

in Lancashire

There's an interesting series on the BBC called Operation Stonehenge which looks at the much wider area and the other earlier timber circles etc .

By *rAitchMan
5 weeks ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

Mrs TMN x

There's evidence of people from all over what is now the UK visiting Stonehenge for some purpose. How they knew where it was, when to go etc I have no idea. I guess there were people who travelled the country spreading news etc. But how did they know when to go?"

Google Maps, probably!

By *asterMeliodasMan
5 weeks ago

Near Keith

Mrs TMN x

There's evidence of people from all over what is now the UK visiting Stonehenge for some purpose. How they knew where it was, when to go etc I have no idea. I guess there were people who travelled the country spreading news etc. But how did they know when to go?

Google Maps, probably!"

No, back then they used MapQuest.

By *ittlebirdWoman
5 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

It came through the Stargate 💯

5 weeks ago

Mrs TMN x

There's evidence of people from all over what is now the UK visiting Stonehenge for some purpose. How they knew where it was, when to go etc I have no idea. I guess there were people who travelled the country spreading news etc. But how did they know when to go?"

It was announced on fab first through the line of…

“It’s all over the news”

By *arlot o scaraWoman
5 weeks ago

Hell

I prefer Long Meg

By *agnar73Man
5 weeks ago

Glasgow

Be a good lad Tom and get them boxed up and sent back up to us.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Be a good lad Tom and get them boxed up and sent back up to us."

North of Glasgow...

By *agnar73Man
5 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Be a good lad Tom and get them boxed up and sent back up to us.

North of Glasgow..."

Indeed. Seems Orkney was the Neolithic sort of Rome for all that stuff.

By *till gameMan
5 weeks ago

two doors down

I wonder if whoever created Stonehenge was the banksy of the day

Some political statement by stealing the stone from Scotland 🤔

By *ichaelsmyMan
5 weeks ago

douglas

they didnt say that at all, they said that the altar stone was from scotland, other stones from wales.

By *agnar73Man
5 weeks ago

Glasgow

"they didnt say that at all, they said that the altar stone was from scotland, other stones from wales."

Happy to take them all for the years the stone of destiny knicked . Can call it evens

By *odgers and PartingCouple
5 weeks ago

edinburgh

"they didnt say that at all, they said that the altar stone was from scotland, other stones from wales.

Happy to take them all for the years the stone of destiny knicked . Can call it evens "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Probably a form of colonial looting similar to the Eglin marbles which Greece want back.

By *icolerobbieCouple
5 weeks ago

walsall

Are you sure they’re not Swedish? The stone is very similar. They may have been prototyping Lego bricks for their ultra duplo bc range.

By *lynJMan
5 weeks ago

Morden

"Are you sure they’re not Swedish? The stone is very similar. They may have been prototyping Lego bricks for their ultra duplo bc range. "

Wouldn't that be Danish then? Unless it was an IKEA copy.

By *lynJMan
5 weeks ago

Morden

" It's all over the news

Why haven't I seen it then? Are you exaggerating Thomas? You can be a very naughty boy sometimes.

Gbat"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c207lqdn755o

By *icolerobbieCouple
5 weeks ago

walsall

"Are you sure they’re not Swedish? The stone is very similar. They may have been prototyping Lego bricks for their ultra duplo bc range.

Wouldn't that be Danish then? Unless it was an IKEA copy."

Denmark/sweden, they’re all Scandinavian!

5 weeks ago

"Are you sure they’re not Swedish? The stone is very similar. They may have been prototyping Lego bricks for their ultra duplo bc range.

Wouldn't that be Danish then? Unless it was an IKEA copy.

Denmark/sweden, they’re all Scandinavian!"

Having lived in Denmark I don’t think that statement would go down well!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

The English have taken treasures for years..

By *atnip make me purrWoman
5 weeks ago

Reading

It did come from Scotland and it was a Welsh man who made the discovery. No idea how they moved it so far.

By *ichaelsmyMan
5 weeks ago

douglas

the welsh guy said, he didnt think he would be forgiven, so he moved to australia lol

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

"It did come from Scotland and it was a Welsh man who made the discovery. No idea how they moved it so far. "

I'd love to know. So many questions.

How did they know where to get it from? How did they know where to take it? How many people would it have needed to transport it? Who organised them? How did they say on the journey?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
5 weeks ago

North West

"It did come from Scotland and it was a Welsh man who made the discovery. No idea how they moved it so far.

How did they know where to get it from? How did they know where to take it? How many people would it have needed to transport it? Who organised them? How did they say on the journey? "

And was Tebay the best place for a weary traveller to get some grub even back then?

These are the important questions.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"It did come from Scotland and it was a Welsh man who made the discovery. No idea how they moved it so far.

How did they know where to get it from? How did they know where to take it? How many people would it have needed to transport it? Who organised them? How did they say on the journey? "

Jeepers. You would think they were stupid..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

How did they know where to get it from? How did they know where to take it? How many people would it have needed to transport it? Who organised them? How did they say on the journey?

Jeepers. You would think they were stupid.. "

Why do you say that?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

And was Tebay the best place for a weary traveller to get some grub even back then?

These are the important questions. "

It's the kind of thing that keeps me occupied on long journeys

By *inky_couple2020Couple
5 weeks ago

North West

It's the kind of thing that keeps me occupied on long journeys"

I bet Tebay had the Neolithic equivalent of a farm shop. Mammoth steaks. Beaver burgers. Berry compote. And somewhere to recharge your transport animal.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
5 weeks ago

Central

They may have moved it over years, or not just in one go.

I think they are going to do more research to evaluate its origins more precisely.

It's certainly very fascinating how much travelling they did. So much conjecture for us, based on limited data. At least the Egyptians had the Nile, to transport their giant stone structures upon

By *icolerobbieCouple
5 weeks ago

walsall

It's the kind of thing that keeps me occupied on long journeys

I bet Tebay had the Neolithic equivalent of a farm shop. Mammoth steaks. Beaver burgers. Berry compote. And somewhere to recharge your transport animal. "

Yes, a Neolithic little chef!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

5 weeks ago

East Sussex

"They may have moved it over years, or not just in one go.

I think they are going to do more research to evaluate its origins more precisely.

It's certainly very fascinating how much travelling they did. So much conjecture for us, based on limited data. At least the Egyptians had the Nile, to transport their giant stone structures upon"

Yes they might not have thought of time in the same way as do. A modern henge builder would want everything on site in the first week of construction wouldn't even start

By *ornLordMan
5 weeks ago

Wiltshire and London

"They may have moved it over years, or not just in one go.

It's certainly very fascinating how much travelling they did. So much conjecture for us, based on limited data. At least the Egyptians had the Nile, to transport their giant stone structures upon

Yes they might not have thought of time in the same way as do. A modern henge builder would want everything on site in the first week of construction wouldn't even start"

Modern henge builders - assuming you could get any who were willing to even come and look at what needed doing - would spend a month coning off the area and then stand around admiring their work.

Judging by the new pavements they've been laying in Salisbury, they would put up the wrong sort of stones. And then they'd bugger off with the job half finished once somebody had been stupid enough to pay them 'because of their cash flow'.

By *ervent_fervourMan
5 weeks ago

Halifax

Izzard is going to have to rejig that monologue.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
5 weeks ago

Chelmsford

The Ancient Britons delayed building Stonehenge. They carried out a environmental survey and there were great crested newts, nesting birds and some old chariots and dinosaur bones in the mud

By *icolerobbieCouple
3 weeks ago

walsall

"The Ancient Britons delayed building Stonehenge. They carried out a environmental survey and there were great crested newts, nesting birds and some old chariots and dinosaur bones in the mud"

Then the builders had a cup of tea, scratched their balls then doubled the quote…..

By *batMan
3 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Jeepers. You would think they were stupid..

Why do you say that?"

Don’t worry. He won’t say it again!!!!

Gbat

By *cottish guy 555Man
3 weeks ago

London

Just something else the English have nicked from us.

By *ea monkeyMan
3 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

"The Ancient Britons delayed building Stonehenge. They carried out a environmental survey and there were great crested newts, nesting birds and some old chariots and dinosaur bones in the mud

Then the builders had a cup of tea, scratched their balls then doubled the quote….."

I get it, you miss him. Don’t worry though, the Daily Mail has loads of online content available for you

By *agnar73Man
3 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Just something else the English have nicked from us.

"

Like everything else.

By *icolerobbieCouple
3 weeks ago

walsall

"The Ancient Britons delayed building Stonehenge. They carried out a environmental survey and there were great crested newts, nesting birds and some old chariots and dinosaur bones in the mud

Then the builders had a cup of tea, scratched their balls then doubled the quote…..

I get it, you miss him. Don’t worry though, the Daily Mail has loads of online content available for you"

Nicole does not read the daily Mail. It’s a trifle shite to say the least.

By *ea monkeyMan
3 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

I get it, you miss him. Don’t worry though, the Daily Mail has loads of online content available for you

Nicole does not read the daily Mail. It’s a trifle shite to say the least."

But you’re bumping all of their forum content…

Post new Message to Thread