Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Can the police regain respect?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
10 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

I was listening to someone talking how the police was respected in the 60s and 70s, where he said how one didnt dare to do anything wrong and if you did and the police told you of for it.

He gave an example where he trimmed his motorcycle and the police cought him on the bike and said dont do that again, he said ok officer in a dampened respected voice and walked home with it and never did it again.

You respected what they said, even the signs with a police holding his hand in a stop position in the parks and other places dont go here, you respected that.

What is your view about it, can the police regain respect again? I think that they can, but there would be a lot of work to do in the mean time, also the police have a harder time nowadays with red tape and more paper work too, so cant do their job to the fullest too

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
10 weeks ago

Next Door

I don't think they can gain respect again.

There are so many that don't and won't respect anything, so the police won't get any.

Also, there has been so many officers abusing their power, people lose faith

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

I think respect for any authority in the country has been eroded. The I know my rights and you cant stop me brigade are the majority unfortunately.

Policing is by consent not force but some hate them regardless. The media doesnt help .

Education faces the same problems when parents do not respect the rules of the school they chose fir their kids.

I think its a deeper society issue.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

What do you mean by lose respect? With who? As a whole, I still respect the police as almost all are good, hardworking officers doing a tough job for relatively low pay, with huge amounts of political interference.

Most people I know feel the same.

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"I think respect for any authority in the country has been eroded. The I know my rights and you cant stop me brigade are the majority unfortunately.

Policing is by consent not force but some hate them regardless. The media doesnt help .

Education faces the same problems when parents do not respect the rules of the school they chose fir their kids.

I think its a deeper society issue."

Also i find it strange you mentioned respect being higher in the 60/ 70s when policing practices were not quite so considered .

Could you imagine the uproar if we went back.

Reply privately

By *r OreoMan
10 weeks ago

Croydon

A few bad apples have really ruined their reputation, and on top of this their actual ability to 'police' seems to be eroded daily with everything they do being scrutinized and challenged by some areas.

Think it's a thankless task they have. They really need more powers to actually stop crime rather than hating them removed and then people complaining they aren't doing enough to stop crime.

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"I don't think they can gain respect again.

There are so many that don't and won't respect anything, so the police won't get any.

Also, there has been so many officers abusing their power, people lose faith"

Its true some officers have rightly been found guilty ...however the media reports this as if every current serving officer is guilty . That is very wrong and very damaging. There are bad apples in most jobs my hope is they are dealt with as appropriate in a timely manner ... not dragging the whole profession down .

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Long gone are the days real policemen like Axel Foley destroy 3 neighbourhoods for saving a kitten from evil punk skateboarders.

Reply privately

By *moothpussyMan
10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Some officers are great and doing the job for the right reasons. The others, well I'll leave it there.

Reply privately

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
10 weeks ago

Sunderland

I would say the majority of people still respect the police, albeit at a lower level than before but the ones that don't really really don't.

it's less about what the police have done and more about people's ability to be absolute shits and then claim to he the victim. The media hasn't helped by often fanning yhe same stories and too many people eager to blame the police.

Also look at the numbers. Not only are police numbers down compared to 10 years ago but the experience levels are way down.

Frankly I think it's a thankless job and I haven't a clue why anyone would want to do it.

Mr

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Sunderland

"I don't think they can gain respect again.

Also, there has been so many officers abusing their power, people lose faith

Its true some officers have rightly been found guilty ...however the media reports this as if every current serving officer is guilty . That is very wrong and very damaging. There are bad apples in most jobs my hope is they are dealt with as appropriate in a timely manner ... not dragging the whole profession down . "

Agreed. There seems to be a constant attempt to tar the police with the same brush any time something happens. And it's never done to any other large group of public employees.

Reply privately

By *atricia ParnelWoman
10 weeks ago

In a town full of colours

I think too many differernt types of community's are anti police and look to their own to seek their own kind of justice. We used to rely on the police to help us, now we are lucky if they actually turn up, same goes for all the other stretched blue light services tbf.

The services have always had bad apples in them. Look at all the bent cops from the 60's, 70's. Same as us though, we are in 2024 and our blue light workers need to wear body cams to try to protect them from us, it's madness Shag, madness.

Reply privately

By *till gameMan
10 weeks ago

two doors down

Send in gene hunt , he would sort it

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Half the police now are worse than the actual criminals, majority of them I see [rarely] are often thug looking blokes or chav lasses, how can you respect that!

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Central

It can be improved but it partly is dependent on the government. They have helped to erode public trust and consent, such as from the 80s, when more aggressive tactics were used, without democratic government involvement. I think the current PM is fairer and more decentz so we have a good opportunity. It does also mean that our legislation must be fair. Limitations to the right to protest harm the police who must enforce it

Reply privately

By *azzler2Man
10 weeks ago

halifax

Take the Leeds riot last week if the police went in heavy they would have be blamed for being to heavy and because they tried to carm it down was too soft fuck sake any where else. Riot cops would have been sent in from word go too many bleeding harts let them do the job there paid for

Reply privately

By *idnight RamblerMan
10 weeks ago

Pershore

I'm from a police family, and the fact is police have never been respected - at least not by a sizeable slice of the population. They are either too soft, too hard, too aggressive, too weak....too something. People have a chip-on-the shoulder when it comes to the police, but have no clue what the job entails.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Sunderland

"I'm from a police family, and the fact is police have never been respected - at least not by a sizeable slice of the population. They are either too soft, too hard, too aggressive, too weak....too something. People have a chip-on-the shoulder when it comes to the police, but have no clue what the job entails. "

This is it exactly.

Reply privately

By *ealitybitesMan
10 weeks ago

Belfast

It used to be a family disgrace if a policeman turned up at your door with your kid in tow.

These days it's a badge of honour for some.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

"I'm from a police family, and the fact is police have never been respected - at least not by a sizeable slice of the population. They are either too soft, too hard, too aggressive, too weak....too something. People have a chip-on-the shoulder when it comes to the police, but have no clue what the job entails. "

Yep.

Reply privately

By *ealMissShadyWoman
10 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"Half the police now are worse than the actual criminals, majority of them I see [rarely] are often thug looking blokes or chav lasses, how can you respect that!"

Depends how judgemental you are I guess....

Reply privately

By *ootyfruityCouple
10 weeks ago

andover

Unfortunately they are understaffed and don’t have the powers they used to. I see, daily, people stealing from shops, last week a guy filled a rucksack with coffee in front of a police officer (the station is right opposite the shop) they didn’t do anything.

Staff in the shops are trained, if they see someone stealing, to offer them a basket. Police won’t turn up even if they were called

Reply privately

By *w214Couple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

One big problem is the fact that everyone is a journalist nowadays. Some people want the police to be able to give those cheeky kids a clip around the ear. It's now on tiktok, and that guy is suspended pending investigation.

I think people need to think about exactly what we need vs want the police to do. Gone are the days when they could raise and discipline your kids for you. They aren't enough of them to deal with petty theft, and our consumer society means that everyone has so much of everything that there never will be. So don't be upset when your £1000 bike/phone/coat/handbag/watch theft gets you a crime number and nothing else, we have too much and they have too little.

Looking back through rose tinted spectacles about how the police used to be judge, jury and executioners is pointless.

There should instead be a focus on citizenship in schools, mandatory and part of the curriculum. Teach kids not to be shits of all stripes and we'll see a difference down the generations.

Reply privately

By *agicM53XMan
10 weeks ago

Orpington

People were less informed and exposed in the 60s and 70s regarding abuse of power and corruption in the police force. That all started to change into the 80s and 90s when portable video cameras became more available and we got a clear image about how unprofessional and down right dangerous they sometimes operate.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
10 weeks ago

Bham

"I think respect for any authority in the country has been eroded. The I know my rights and you cant stop me brigade are the majority unfortunately.

Definitely

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
10 weeks ago

Stratford

Despite the relationship that people where I’m from that look like me have with the police I do have a lot of respect for the job they try to do and how for the most part they try to do it.

The argument about a few bad apples doesn’t wash however. I can’t think of any other profession where we would accept that as justification or a counter argument to shitty behaviour.

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
10 weeks ago

South

Policing back then was more personal. You had a visible local constabulary who patrolled regularly either on foot or bike and who got to know the townsfolk / village folk. It was more intimate

These days it’s all done on a much bigger scale. Smaller Police Stations are closed and they have a bigger area to cover.

I think they are now tasked with an impossible task under impossible circumstances. Our legal system (Police, Courts, Prisons etc) could all do with major reinvention, but the funding is just not there.

Governments have failed the system badly.

Reply privately

By *d mirerMan
10 weeks ago

lost

"Policing back then was more personal. You had a visible local constabulary who patrolled regularly either on foot or bike and who got to know the townsfolk / village folk. It was more intimate

These days it’s all done on a much bigger scale. Smaller Police Stations are closed and they have a bigger area to cover.

I think they are now tasked with an impossible task under impossible circumstances. Our legal system (Police, Courts, Prisons etc) could all do with major reinvention, but the funding is just not there.

Governments have failed the system badly."

I agree , In terms of respect , respect was natural with personal knowledge in communities . With funding and current policing practices it’s lost that community connection in my opinion . That doesn’t mean the police in general cannot gain respect but it makes it difficult .

Reply privately

By *ocktoplaywithMan
10 weeks ago

Derby

It starts with a lack of respect at schools and goes from there. I know a teacher who had a pupil at junior school that threatened to kill her recently. She says she can’t cope with it anymore. The teachers can’t discipline the kids or they’ll be in trouble, and the kids know this.

So then in a few years time the bad apples at school carry on with the same principle, even if they get caught it doesn’t really matter because the case will never go to court and even if does there’s a fair chance it’ll end up in a suspended sentence or similar. There is no deterrent.

I really worry about what the country is going to become in years to come.

Reply privately

By *owestoft ManMan
10 weeks ago

Lowestoft

It’s good to see here that most people respect the Police or any of the authorities. I agree that most of the problems are due to the News Media and what I term the Do-Gooders lol. Although I think the term Do-Gooders can be very controversial. Like a few have mentioned here there are some bad apples in every walk of life, but we shouldn’t tarnish all with the same brush.

Travelling the world, I’ve seen pretty much all Police doing their jobs as best they can under the circumstances they are faced with. I’ve always had and will always have great admiration towards them. I remember growing up and getting a sharp clip behind the ear for doing some stupid things lol and would never have told my parents as they would have given me another one lol. But never lost respect for the Police. I’ve even gotten into trouble due to trying to take the law into my own hands, which is a big no no. But I realise now that every situation is better left to the Police and not to get involved.

What is surprising is those who complain about the Police all the time, are the first to call for Police assistance when they get into problems. I remember, a good many years ago, the News Media jumping on the American Police for a shoot out with 4 or 5 people in a car. The dash cam and personal body cam footage of the incident was shown on the News and had obviously been edited to show only the Police officer doing all the shooting. Caused an international outcry against the Police. After doing some research, the cam footage became available and the News had cut out plenty of what really happened. Basically, if the Police Officer had not taken the action he took, he would have been dead very quickly and those 5 would have gone on to do more very dangerous things with other people. Sad that anyone should need to put themselves in such confrontations, putting their own lives in danger just to keep us all safe.

I’ve had a few strange looks lol when waiting in a que at a Take Away and when either Police or Ambulance personnel walk in, I offer them to go in front of me. Always done that and always will. I’ve seen so many of them go in and try to get a quick snack between calls and then just before they get their turn at the counter, get a call on the radio and have to leave to assist someone.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
10 weeks ago

walsall

The police are human beings. Anyone who doesn’t respect fellow human beings is the one with the problem.

Now some human beings are bad and don’t deserve respect.

So if you choose not to respect a bad human being, then that’s fine. If you choose to not respect humanity because there are some bad humans, then again it’s says more about you.

Its like hating moped riders because they try to murder soldiers.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Yes, I think they can Tom

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"Despite the relationship that people where I’m from that look like me have with the police I do have a lot of respect for the job they try to do and how for the most part they try to do it.

The argument about a few bad apples doesn’t wash however. I can’t think of any other profession where we would accept that as justification or a counter argument to shitty behaviour."

The bad apples arguement stands not to justify the behaviour at all but to state that thats what they are ...surprisingly few in terms of the greater workforce. The media would have us believe all police officers are like that and its a culture. That is blatantly not true and damages the service beyond repair.

Other professions have the same ..teachers arrested for sex offences. Doesnt mean all are tarred with the same brush

Reply privately

By *ansoffateMan
10 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Respect is a two way street. I can give a bunch of examples where police where respectful, showed discretion. Considered circumstances, intentions and consequences. You got pulled speeding at 3am on an empty road, they had a word. You were respectful, your car was alright, you got a telling off.

Now there's no consideration and often they are money grab agents, where the process hasn't been automated. I don't respect that and never will.

I know several Police officers they are decent guys and they have similar issues across arrange of topics and a lot of the time their hands are tied. The style of policing can turn people against them and that's something that has to be considered too. You don't become above the law or just automatically ethical because you have a uniform and a badge. If anything taking up that authority means you have more of a responsibility to behave ethically.

Reply privately

By *m3232Man
10 weeks ago

maidenhead

A lot of the general public are the idiots that’s the problem with having to deal with them every day.

Reply privately

By *owestoft ManMan
10 weeks ago

Lowestoft

"A lot of the general public are the idiots that’s the problem with having to deal with them every day. "

Agree with lots but definitely not Most

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"Respect is a two way street. I can give a bunch of examples where police where respectful, showed discretion. Considered circumstances, intentions and consequences. You got pulled speeding at 3am on an empty road, they had a word. You were respectful, your car was alright, you got a telling off.

Now there's no consideration and often they are money grab agents, where the process hasn't been automated. I don't respect that and never will.

I know several Police officers they are decent guys and they have similar issues across arrange of topics and a lot of the time their hands are tied. The style of policing can turn people against them and that's something that has to be considered too. You don't become above the law or just automatically ethical because you have a uniform and a badge. If anything taking up that authority means you have more of a responsibility to behave ethically."

I've had such experiences recently.

Just don't get me started on cameras

Seems to me in the OP, the one telling the story didn't respect the law. But once caught decided to. Wonder why a copper telling him to behave causes a change in behaviour. Or was it from simply fucking up and/or being caught.

In which case plenty of ppl still like that !

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Being used as a political weapon from the 70's onwards has eroded respect for the Police.

Respect is EARNED not given freely just because you're in uniform.

Frequently abusing that authority will erode respect.

Having been a part of the Police family in the past and talking from personal experience, no, I don't think that they will ever regain the respect of certain sections of society they had in the Dixon of Dock Green era.

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

" They really need more powers to actually stop crime rather than hating them removed and then people complaining they aren't doing enough to stop crime."

Which powers do you think have been removed? It’s a genuine question.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ames23422Man
10 weeks ago

Aylesbury

"Despite the relationship that people where I’m from that look like me have with the police I do have a lot of respect for the job they try to do and how for the most part they try to do it.

The argument about a few bad apples doesn’t wash however. I can’t think of any other profession where we would accept that as justification or a counter argument to shitty behaviour."

NHS with Shipman, Letby etc etc

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Problem for the police now is, its so much easier to research laws and acts and what they actually have powers to do or not and secondly is so easy to film them not always upto any good which on the whole paints a bad picture for them

Reply privately

By *ermite12ukMan
10 weeks ago

Solihull and Brentwood

"It starts with a lack of respect at schools and goes from there."

I don't think it's the schools fault. I think it's both government and parents fault.

The government has made the kids virtual untouchables.

The parents moral compass has taken a nosedive: My parents when I played up. Took me by the scruff of my neck to apologise to whoever, I'd managed to upset.

Reply privately

By *hoirCouple
10 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"I was listening to someone talking how the police was respected in the 60s and 70s, where he said how one didnt dare to do anything wrong and if you did and the police told you of for it.

He gave an example where he trimmed his motorcycle and the police cought him on the bike and said dont do that again, he said ok officer in a dampened respected voice and walked home with it and never did it again.

You respected what they said, even the signs with a police holding his hand in a stop position in the parks and other places dont go here, you respected that.

What is your view about it, can the police regain respect again? I think that they can, but there would be a lot of work to do in the mean time, also the police have a harder time nowadays with red tape and more paper work too, so cant do their job to the fullest too "

Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

The problem is that the police are nothing more than political heavies for the political class. If they go back to the Peelian Properties then they deserve some respect but otherwise they are just grunts.

C

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"Half the police now are worse than the actual criminals, majority of them I see [rarely] are often thug looking blokes or chav lasses, how can you respect that!

Depends how judgemental you are I guess...."

No it's not, the newer ones are awful, just like teachers, new ect are all fake tans, fake teeth, no brains, see it all the time.

Reply privately

By *amnaughtybutniceWoman
10 weeks ago

tf1

I have dealt with the police personally and professionally. I have zero respect for them.

Rarely come across any that know their jobs, they are arrogant and given the recent press they won’t regain anyone’s respect.

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"Half the police now are worse than the actual criminals, majority of them I see [rarely] are often thug looking blokes or chav lasses, how can you respect that!

Depends how judgemental you are I guess....

No it's not, the newer ones are awful, just like teachers, new ect are all fake tans, fake teeth, no brains, see it all the time."

A bit of a sweeping statement all ways around that one . However your opinion you are entitled to.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

tf1

"Problem for the police now is, its so much easier to research laws and acts and what they actually have powers to do or not and secondly is so easy to film them not always upto any good which on the whole paints a bad picture for them "

But they are the police. They are required to follow the laws. It’s good that people are clued up.

Reply privately

By *ermite12ukMan
10 weeks ago

Solihull and Brentwood

"Problem for the police now is, its so much easier to research laws and acts and what they actually have powers to do or not and secondly is so easy to film them not always upto any good which on the whole paints a bad picture for them

But they are the police. They are required to follow the laws. It’s good that people are clued up. "

You don't work for Haribo do you?

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"Problem for the police now is, its so much easier to research laws and acts and what they actually have powers to do or not and secondly is so easy to film them not always upto any good which on the whole paints a bad picture for them

But they are the police. They are required to follow the laws. It’s good that people are clued up. "

Only works if they actually are clued up on Uk law ..many if the i know my rights brigade clearly dont and are fundamentally misinformed.

Reply privately

By *l_xxxMan
10 weeks ago

South leeds

The above is spot on. Why does society focus on poor policing yet flouts any kind of rules? Even petty matters are met with a torrent of abuse. No wonder policing quality is dropping, would anyone polite & intelligent join the police to risk their lives every day when society has no respect for rules.

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"Only works if they actually are clued up on Uk law ..many if the i know my rights brigade clearly dont and are fundamentally misinformed. "

Well first off, there is NO UK law.

Scotland has a separate and distinct legal system with it's own laws. So does Northern Island.

Wales and England share a legal system that is different from both the above.

I don't even know the case for The Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc., but I'm pretty sure they are different again.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

", I don't think that they will ever regain the respect of certain sections of society they had in the Dixon of Dock Green era."

It's probably with remembering that in the original film, Dixon of Dock Green was murdered.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *8on33Man
10 weeks ago

winfrith

It's a simple no from me ,they get no respect from me ,respect has to be earned.

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"Only works if they actually are clued up on Uk law ..many if the i know my rights brigade clearly dont and are fundamentally misinformed.

Well first off, there is NO UK law.

Scotland has a separate and distinct legal system with it's own laws. So does Northern Island.

Wales and England share a legal system that is different from both the above.

I don't even know the case for The Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc., but I'm pretty sure they are different again.

Gbat "

Poor use of language by me ..i apologise . My point is many will spout things they have heard on TV as a defence for their actions. Misinformed. If they have not done anything wrong they have nothing to worry about.

As service standards have slipped ..i am not saying they havent . Financial pressures and increasing demands have resulted in a stretched service. It has to be done better ..and as a society we have to value what we have as i hate to think what happens/ who does the role if not the police.

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
10 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I’ve had dealing with police as both a victim and an alleged criminal. They were cunts in both situations.

Reply privately

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
10 weeks ago

hexham

I have had a lot of interaction with the police over the last couple of years.

And about 90 % of that interaction has been totally inadequate.

They do not seem to realise they are public servants … and no I did not treat them as if they were servants, I always (begin) treating them with respect.

It seems to me that a lot of them think THEY ARE the law!

One officer was on my father’s land taking photographs, when my 87 year old father went out and asked him what he was doing, the officer told my father it was none of his business and told him to go back into his house.

When I caught up with the police officer on his way back to the station (after my father’s phone call ) and asked him where his search warrant was he started to try and fob me off … then when I explained to him exactly what he WAS allowed to do and what he WAS NOT allowed to do he started back pedalling like a twat but he was as arrogant as fuck!

I am afraid I have no respect for the police and generally give them no assistance, but if when dealing with an individual police officer who proves to be very good. Then I will assist him in every way I can

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"It's a simple no from me ,they get no respect from me ,respect has to be earned. "

Sounds like a vicious downward spiral going on here.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *usie pTV/TS
10 weeks ago

taunton

I have respect for them obviously a few bad apples as in all walks of life but when you see the utter shit the public try to give them fook only knows how they put up with it. Respect for anyone has largely disapeared from our society much to its detriment.

Reply privately

By *ittlebirdWoman
10 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

I mean Sting did become a bit of a knob for a while but some of their songs are amazing 💯

Reply privately

By *lowupdollTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Herts

George Michael. Outside.

Police are alright. In the right circumstances.

Reply privately

By *reat me rightWoman
10 weeks ago

Rotherham

In Rotherham we had a huge case of cse a few years ago. SYP turned a blind eye (or two) to over 1400 cases of grooming for years. Then it all came out in the wash. So, short answer, no I don't have respect for that organisation anymore

Reply privately

By *heStockingtoppsCouple
10 weeks ago

Stourbridge

Isn`t it fair to say society is completely fucked, values, woke, political correctness nonsense, not just the police, perhaps its the country we deserve.. its the one we've all conspired to create.

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"In Rotherham we had a huge case of cse a few years ago. SYP turned a blind eye (or two) to over 1400 cases of grooming for years. Then it all came out in the wash. So, short answer, no I don't have respect for that organisation anymore "

Just SYP or all of the 45 totally independent Police Forces across the UK?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple
10 weeks ago

Debauchery

"I was listening to someone talking how the police was respected in the 60s and 70s, where he said how one didnt dare to do anything wrong and if you did and the police told you of for it.

What is your view about it, can the police regain respect again? I think that they can, but there would be a lot of work to do in the mean time, also the police have a harder time nowadays with red tape and more paper work too, so cant do their job to the fullest too "

I thought you were going end that with ‘it’s all over the news’ 😂

Society has change and police are held to a higher standard, which I agree with.

Hades

Reply privately

By *8on33Man
10 weeks ago

winfrith

"It's a simple no from me ,they get no respect from me ,respect has to be earned.

Sounds like a vicious downward spiral going on here.

Gbat "

The woman above your comment summed it up they are meant to uphold the law but they think they are the law and don't require to abide by it ,they needed permission to take pictures on the ladies fathers land but they didn't have permission but still took the pics ,young officers tell experienced drivers how to drive .

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Yes they can. But they need to stop recruiting just anyone and properly vet those who want to join. When they do join they need to be properly trained and supervised. Every part of this country wants to charged more for services and save on costs. Same with nurses. Do you really need a degree to be a nurse? Do you need a degree to be a policeman? I don't think so.

We all owe it to the police to support them. The public get the police they deserve. Fact is, we need the police and they need our support.

Are there crap police officers, yes. But there are also crap teachers, crap doctors, crap fireman, crap builders, I could go on.

Don't forget. The worse serial killer (250 murders) to ever have been caught in this country was an NHS GP. Doctors are being charge with offences and going to prison on a regular basis. We just don't read about it in the newspaper. It isn't a doctor problem it is a people problem. If you can solve that one, I would love to hear your ideas?

Reply privately

By *urry BlokeMan
10 weeks ago

Scenes like those seen today at Manchester Airport won't help their cause

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

I was going to mention that. Four men had a big fight in an airport

and then attacked the police. The woman police officer seen has a broken nose and two other officers have been injured. All went to hospital. The officer seen kicking the man in the head is a firearms officers and is carrying a firearm in a holster. In a situation where you have firearms involved and weapons potentially being taken them you'll find the violence level goes up.

But no doubt he will/might be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion. I personally don't have a problem with it but then again I wouldn't behave that like to the police in the first place.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"I was going to mention that. Four men had a big fight in an airport

and then attacked the police. The woman police officer seen has a broken nose and two other officers have been injured. All went to hospital. The officer seen kicking the man in the head is a firearms officers and is carrying a firearm in a holster. In a situation where you have firearms involved and weapons potentially being taken them you'll find the violence level goes up.

But no doubt he will/might be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion. I personally don't have a problem with it but then again I wouldn't behave that like to the police in the first place."

sacrificed? Even policeuk Reddit thinks he went too far.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Policing is broken. Why not send in the army. They will clean the streets of these vermin gangs

Reply privately

By *heBigLibowskiMan
10 weeks ago

Hampshire

No, at this point it's mostly logging paperwork.

I'm not disrespectful to them, but I don't respect them either. The only times I could've used their assistance they refused, so I will also their authority.

I don't think they can either win back a happy medium in society again unfortunately.

Reply privately

By *ansoffateMan
10 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

"No, at this point it's mostly logging paperwork.

I'm not disrespectful to them, but I don't respect them either. The only times I could've used their assistance they refused, so I will also their authority.

I don't think they can either win back a happy medium in society again unfortunately."

Leads oh yes, there's a team working on it down at the station. They're working around the clock. They're working in shifts.

Leads 😆

Reply privately

By *hagTonight OP   Man
10 weeks ago

"I would say the majority of people still respect the police, albeit at a lower level than before but the ones that don't really really don't.

it's less about what the police have done and more about people's ability to be absolute shits and then claim to he the victim. The media hasn't helped by often fanning yhe same stories and too many people eager to blame the police.

Also look at the numbers. Not only are police numbers down compared to 10 years ago but the experience levels are way down.

Frankly I think it's a thankless job and I haven't a clue why anyone would want to do it.

Mr"

Yes, you are right there. I would also say that the majority respect the police too

Reply privately

By *lmost TouchingMan
10 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat.

I think we are headed for some serious social unrest. I wouldn’t want to be a Bobby for all the tea in China… hands tied by political correctness or alignment with the yobs.

Look at the nonsense the Just Stop Oil dickheads get away with and the unposed dismantling of shaming of British history and monuments.

…damned if they do something about it and damned if they don’t.

Yes, there are corrupt and twisted ones… the same as any population that is big enough… look at Shipman and Letby in the NHS etc … the fact is, the police need to act as they did in the 70s and 80s, and stand up to the yobs and then when you have protesters (like in London) who outnumber the Met, get the Army in too!

Reply privately

By *uckingFutzMan
10 weeks ago

Plymouth

Really does not help seeing the video on the news tonight of the officer kicking and stamping a blokes head while he is on the floor,, granted the full story is not known yet but seriously!!

There's been too many coppers too power hungry, too well protected from allegations and the truth hidden for too long - they have destroyed any respect themselves

Reply privately

By *inxy777Woman
10 weeks ago

essex

Respect or not, at the end of the day it’s them that we all call!! x 🤷‍♀️

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
10 weeks ago

Canvey Island

"I was going to mention that. Four men had a big fight in an airport

But no doubt he will/might be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion. I personally don't have a problem with it but then again I wouldn't behave that like to the police in the first place. sacrificed? Even policeuk Reddit thinks he went too far. "

Policeuk Reddit has a lot of people who aren’t actual officers or staff, it contains a lot of “I know my rights” type people on there.

Reply privately

By *uckingFutzMan
10 weeks ago

Plymouth

"Respect or not, at the end of the day it’s them that we all call!! x 🤷‍♀️"

Do we??? I don't anymore as they have never ever done anything for me! When I did in the past it was always too much trouble for em, couldn't be bothered to investigate even with video evidence! Honestly they are completely useless this day in age!

Reply privately

By *hoirCouple
10 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Policing is broken. Why not send in the army. They will clean the streets of these vermin gangs "

Haven't you heard? The police say they are the biggest gang. It's all over the news.

C

Reply privately

By *hoirCouple
10 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Yes they can. But they need to stop recruiting just anyone and properly vet those who want to join. When they do join they need to be properly trained and supervised. Every part of this country wants to charged more for services and save on costs. Same with nurses. Do you really need a degree to be a nurse? Do you need a degree to be a policeman? I don't think so.

We all owe it to the police to support them. The public get the police they deserve. Fact is, we need the police and they need our support.

Are there crap police officers, yes. But there are also crap teachers, crap doctors, crap fireman, crap builders, I could go on.

Don't forget. The worse serial killer (250 murders) to ever have been caught in this country was an NHS GP. Doctors are being charge with offences and going to prison on a regular basis. We just don't read about it in the newspaper. It isn't a doctor problem it is a people problem. If you can solve that one, I would love to hear your ideas?

"

This isn't well thought out at all.

Do you need a.degree to be a nurse? YES. Would you want them to less trained!?

Why throw more money at inadequate services so they can squander even more resources?

At what point do we cut off support to sponging services who don't function as they are supposed to? Nobody owes the police anything when they are known to be irreparably broken.

C

Reply privately

By *azzler2Man
10 weeks ago

halifax

The vid showing the police guy kicking the guy on the floor all over the media but funny no one is showing it where the police woman is being hit having her nose broken or the other two police officers being attacked

Reply privately

By *reat me rightWoman
10 weeks ago

Rotherham

"In Rotherham we had a huge case of cse a few years ago. SYP turned a blind eye (or two) to over 1400 cases of grooming for years. Then it all came out in the wash. So, short answer, no I don't have respect for that organisation anymore

Just SYP or all of the 45 totally independent Police Forces across the UK?

The police force as a whole. Hear too many bad things about endemic bad uns

Gbat "

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"Yes they can. But they need to stop recruiting just anyone and properly vet those who want to join. When they do join they need to be properly trained and supervised. Every part of this country wants to charged more for services and save on costs. Same with nurses. Do you really need a degree to be a nurse? Do you need a degree to be a policeman? I don't think so.

Why throw more money at inadequate services so they can squander even more resources?

At what point do we cut off support to sponging services who don't function as they are supposed to? Nobody owes the police anything when they are known to be irreparably broken.

C"

In 2009 nursing became a career that required a degree. Before that about 4% of nurses had a degree. Nurses were very well trained and many more nurses were available to be trained. Unless you think nurses were somehow lesser professional before 2009?

Nurses who didn't have a degree were never "less trained".

Since 2009 nurses are now saddled with huge student loan debt which they will have to pay back for decades. I think that is a step backwards. Many people would make great nurses but can't take time out and do a degree for three years. Now we have a shortage of nurses.

The police receive thousands of letters of thanks everyday for the things they do that doesn't make the newspapers. Things I suspect you wouldn't even consider. Everyday they do small things kindnesses which save people from so much hurt. Like the officer who having attended the sudden death of an old man found him on the floor and he had defected on the carpet. He cleaned that mess up to save the family from finding that in the house later.

At what point do we cut off support for the police. Never. There's a reason why the police cannot go on strike because if they did the chaos and the damage which would occur by the sort of people the police protect the public from would be unimaginable.

"Nobody owes the police anything when they are known to be irreparably broken." That is a false perception. One that the majority in this country would be very much against.

I thought it out very well thanks.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
10 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

when we think of policing me should look to the future and be fearful.

movies including science fiction tend to be a warning of what may come with advancement in robotics and a.i.

i have spoken before about google and boston dynamics plans to have robotic police which can make instant judgement calls, access criminal records and potentially open fire with deadly force on criminals such as shop lifters etc.

because thats what happens, we become unhappy with crime levels, unhappy with the service from police so companies look to remove the human element and impose force and law with a machine.

how would we feel having a judge dredd style of police that dish out punishment on the spot? or a machine outside tescos which is watching everybody, pointing a gun at you refusing entry unless you show your face so it can see if your a known shop lifter etc.

it may seem far-fetched now. but the future of policing will involve a fear factor, control and your rights will not matter. technology will replace the human element and in time the courts.

we may regret our relationship with the police when technology replaces them

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

C

In 2009 nursing became a career that required a degree. Before that about 4% of nurses had a degree. Nurses were very well trained and many more nurses were available to be trained. Unless you think nurses were somehow lesser professional before 2009?

Since 2009 nurses are now saddled with huge student loan debt which they will have to pay back for decades. I think that is a step backwards. Many people would make great nurses but can't take time out and do a degree for three years. Now we have a shortage of nurses.

The police receive thousands of letters of thanks everyday for the things they do that doesn't make the newspapers. Things I suspect you wouldn't even consider. Everyday they do small things kindnesses which save people from so much hurt. Like the officer who having attended the sudden death of an old man found him on the floor and he had defected on the carpet. He cleaned that mess up to save the family from finding that in the house later.

At what point do we cut off support for the police. Never. There's a reason why the police cannot go on strike because if they did the chaos and the damage which would occur by the sort of people the police protect the public from would be unimaginable.

"Nobody owes the police anything when they are known to be irreparably broken." That is a false perception. One that the majority in this country would be very much against.

"

Not sure why you need a degree to be a nurse or even a cop.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

What are people's thoughts on the video from Manchester airport yesterday? A man is on the ground after being Tasered and a Police Officer kicks him in the face and stamps on his head.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

tf1

"What are people's thoughts on the video from Manchester airport yesterday? A man is on the ground after being Tasered and a Police Officer kicks him in the face and stamps on his head. "

Shocking. I understand that we don’t know what had happened prior to this but the man was on the floor with his hands behind his back.

The cop had a taser pointed at him and the cop kicked him in the face and then stamped on his head with full force. He could have killed him.

That was not force required to restrain. That was a copper who had lost it. I am sure nowhere in their rule books does it say it’s ok to kick a man in the head with full force behind you.

Reply privately

By *ocktoplaywithMan
10 weeks ago

Derby

"What are people's thoughts on the video from Manchester airport yesterday? A man is on the ground after being Tasered and a Police Officer kicks him in the face and stamps on his head. "

The man in question wants to think himself lucky he’s still breathing, having attacked and injured a female police officer, plus two other officers in any other country he’d have been shot dead. Seriously what man attacks a woman regardless of what uniform she’s wearing.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

There is no report of the current condition of the man. His mother witnessed the incident. How horrendous. The Police said in mitigation there was a risk the man would steal their guns.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"

The man in question wants to think himself lucky he’s still breathing, having attacked and injured a female police officer, plus two other officers in any other country he’d have been shot dead. Seriously what man attacks a woman regardless of what uniform she’s wearing. "

What caused the man to attack three police officers ?

Reply privately

By *inxy777Woman
10 weeks ago

essex

C

Not sure why you need a degree to be a nurse or even a cop. "

At the end of the day it’s the hands on , on the job experience that counts. Only such much to learn from books!

Reply privately

By *ongAndThick123Man
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"What are people's thoughts on the video from Manchester airport yesterday? A man is on the ground after being Tasered and a Police Officer kicks him in the face and stamps on his head.

The man in question wants to think himself lucky he’s still breathing, having attacked and injured a female police officer, plus two other officers in any other country he’d have been shot dead. Seriously what man attacks a woman regardless of what uniform she’s wearing. "

Yeah he shouldn’t have attacked her. But the rest of your statement is crap. It’s not the police’s job to kill someone (lucky he’s still breathing?). It’s also not the police’s job to punish or get revenge.

And it’s DEFINITELY not in the police’s remit to stamp on someone’s head when they are laid on the floor face down in handcuffs and no longer causing any danger

Reply privately

By *usie pTV/TS
10 weeks ago

taunton

It might make the guy who received the beating think twice before he attacks anyone in the future, on the other hand it might make him hell bent on revenge. I suspect it all kicked off [excuse the pun] due to a lack of RESPECT for your fellow human beings with a group of testosterone fueled youngish guys creating a public nuisance of themselves.

Reply privately

By *eordieJeansCouple
10 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

The officer SHOULD be going to jail for a long time.

Reply privately

By *andstorm 1Couple
10 weeks ago

Hereford

Fully agree with you on this

I know when I was younger

We had a local Bobby that everyone respected

When I was being a dickhead I got caught

He would call around and chat to my mum

Who would usually give me a clip around the ear

And if dad heard about it id get another one later

But I respected that policeman all the same

Now I think they deserve respect

But have distanced themselves from most people

Politicians fault?

Perhaps

Establishment? Yes most certainly

We all say the good old days ??

But in my opinion they really were!!

N xxx

Reply privately

By *andstorm 1Couple
10 weeks ago

Hereford

"What are people's thoughts on the video from Manchester airport yesterday? A man is on the ground after being Tasered and a Police Officer kicks him in the face and stamps on his head.

The man in question wants to think himself lucky he’s still breathing, having attacked and injured a female police officer, plus two other officers in any other country he’d have been shot dead. Seriously what man attacks a woman regardless of what uniform she’s wearing.

Yeah he shouldn’t have attacked her. But the rest of your statement is crap. It’s not the police’s job to kill someone (lucky he’s still breathing?). It’s also not the police’s job to punish or get revenge.

And it’s DEFINITELY not in the police’s remit to stamp on someone’s head when they are laid on the floor face down in handcuffs and no longer causing any danger "

I would like to see the whole incident but i know we probably won’t

If the guy was responsible for attacking the police officer and breaking a female officer’s nose

Then I can imagine how enraged everyone was at the time

They were also armed officers

So in truth

I think the guy is lucky not to have got a bullet

But then again

Are we unlucky he didn’t???

N

Reply privately

By *atnip make me purrWoman
10 weeks ago

Reading

No society has moved on from blind obedience. I don't believe conscription would work either.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Society doesn’t respect itself in the main, so, police officers, teachers, doctors, emergency workers etc are not respected by society unfortunately. It’s sad and a sign of the times. Respect is learned from parents etc and unfortunately we are generations of people who have no self respect and that bridges off on the next generation. It would be interesting to see what happened should police be given industrial action rights as is being sought and when they strike, let’s see what society does to itself then and in turn what respect people start having for the police when looting, civil unrest etc are even more of a common place.

I respect everyone regardless of job role until the point they do something to me personally, I’m not a sheep so I don’t follow the crowd hating because my great grandfather, grandfather, father etc all hated (but that mind did). I know a number of shitbags with a criminal record. Most of them hate police, I wonder why? The decent folk I know don’t hate and have no real thoughts as they haven’t used the service of the police. I think the point I’m making is, start having some self respect, don’t get in the shit and maybe you’ll not hate normal members of society doing a shit job for what I believe to be shit money.

Reply privately

By *8on33Man
10 weeks ago

winfrith

Who ya gonna call ?

Reply privately

By *angerouslemaisonsMan
10 weeks ago

Peterborough

Police are damned if they do damned If they don’t one part of society would have them all soft and one part would have them cave peoples heads in. Shit money for a shit job it’s a wonder we can find anyone to do the job let alone trying to have any sort of standards

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"Police are damned if they do damned If they don’t one part of society would have them all soft and one part would have them cave peoples heads in. Shit money for a shit job it’s a wonder we can find anyone to do the job let alone trying to have any sort of standards "
absolutely 👍🏼

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

it'll be interesting to see some evidence to back up the claims by the police that they were attacked. the only evidence surrounding the incident shows severe dereliction of duty and criminal behaviour by the officers present. it begs the question as to why the officers present were prepared to stand by and allow the violence meted out by one of their colleagues to continue? it'll be an even longer road for the police to gain any modicum of respect from the public now.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

So the three officers who had to go to hospital, one with a broken nose was all done in a pillow fight?

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"So the three officers who had to go to hospital, one with a broken nose was all done in a pillow fight?"

Exactly. The haters will always hate. These videos only ever show one side of the story. Normal people sit on the fence awaiting the full story but folk like the one above you, boot the police when down and cast judgement based on one sided narrative. Sad really.

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

It is perfectly legal to kick a man in the head and stamp on him …

But IF and only if it’s necessary

From the footage, it didn’t appear necessary.

This stealing guns bit. The sidearm is in a holster with a complicated locking system and whilst I’ve only seen a brief clip of the incident, if he had a long barrelled weapon that would have been on a sling. It’s a red herring.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
10 weeks ago

in Lancashire

The officer lost his head, he's most likely going to be sacked and prosecuted for assault..

Whatever had taken place before with his colleagues injured is mitigation but not justification for his actions in kicking and stamping the head of the guy who is not at that point a threat..

By all means use the taser you've got aimed at him if he goes to get up given what had taken place previously, the officer had that and other means to lawfully incapacitate and prevent a further threat to himself or others but his actions were wrong in using his feet..

Reply privately

By *essTTWoman
10 weeks ago

Birmingham

I think people do respect the police to an extent

I've met some lovely police officers but I've met wayyyy more not nice ones and coupled with all the stories in rhe news about officers doing harm to people it's does seem easier to think bad of them than think good.

I try not to but if I see police when I'm out and about or if I'm approached by them my back is automatically up although I'd never do anything rude or disrespectful to them.

Reply privately

By *essTTWoman
10 weeks ago

Birmingham

C

"

Nurses need degrees because the role has changed

It not just giving washes and making beds any more

My best friend is a nurse and some of the stories she tells me. She has to know and do ALOT more technical things that nurses were expected to do

Reply privately

By *andT2023Couple
10 weeks ago

in the middle

"Society doesn’t respect itself in the main, so, police officers, teachers, doctors, emergency workers etc are not respected by society unfortunately. It’s sad and a sign of the times. Respect is learned from parents etc and unfortunately we are generations of people who have no self respect and that bridges off on the next generation. It would be interesting to see what happened should police be given industrial action rights as is being sought and when they strike, let’s see what society does to itself then and in turn what respect people start having for the police when looting, civil unrest etc are even more of a common place.

I respect everyone regardless of job role until the point they do something to me personally, I’m not a sheep so I don’t follow the crowd hating because my great grandfather, grandfather, father etc all hated (but that mind did). I know a number of shitbags with a criminal record. Most of them hate police, I wonder why? The decent folk I know don’t hate and have no real thoughts as they haven’t used the service of the police. I think the point I’m making is, start having some self respect, don’t get in the shit and maybe you’ll not hate normal members of society doing a shit job for what I believe to be shit money. "

This 💯

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Nurses have done more than bed washes and made beds for a very long time and many years before 2009. You don't need a degree. Not my opinion but family who are nurses.

Reply privately

By *tephTV67TV/TS
10 weeks ago

Cheshire

I work with the Police and the majority of Officers I have dealt with they are professional and decent people. There will always be a ‘bad apple’ within the ranks, maybe a few but I still think the majority do their jobs to the standards required.

However I do have a problem with the video I saw, aware that it doesn’t show the full picture, but in my opinion the kick and stamp wasn’t needed at that point of the incident. At the same time I understand why he was aggressive / angry if he just witnessed his colleague being attacked but he still needed to control his emotions and not inflame the situation further.

I expect there will be full enquiry into this incident and hope both parties get support from their respective representatives and eventually the full facts and evidence will come out.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

"

Every police force in England and wales you do a degree now to be confirmed in the rank, so, as it stands yes you need a degree, does that make you a better officer, I’d say no. So the training is already in place, that met scum bag that killed the poor woman, his behaviour resulted in every single officer, staff and volunteer to be re vetted to a higher standard so the trying and vetting are in place.

Past experience, past training all come into play when dealing with high risk situations and let’s be fair even when trained it comes down to fight or flight and god forbid red mist as that’s a human trait I believe. If I was armed and someone tried to take my sidearm I can categorically say I’ll most definitely be kicking them in the head to render them unconscious. What was the intention to take a firearm? What was he going to do with it, what if he gets back up, what if I’m physically knackered and can’t fight anymore? Remember when those chemicals course through your body you quickly become tired! We are all only seeing a small part of the truth, there’s 2 sides and somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Physical exhaustion is a reason to stop cpr, so, is it therefore a reason to use whatever force is necessary to achieve the desired outcome ie, not having your sidearm taken and subsequently used on you and potentially other members of the public now or in the very near future when it’s sold to a gang banger or the star on an insta video with scumbags thinking they are clever

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 25/07/24 11:32:40]

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"What was the intention to take a firearm? What was he going to do with it ……."

Trouble is, I don’t think anyone has suggested he actually tried to take a firearm, more that the opportunity may have been there had he chosen to do so.

But as I said above, a modern holster has a locking system which can be further strengthened by positioning a slide cover over it.

I used to carry a Glock 17 and I can assure you, I’d have to be unconsci0us to have it taken out of my holster. If I was unconsci0us and the baddy was actually trying to take it, then one of the other armed officers should shoot them if necessary.

The word necessary is pivotal to the use of force.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
10 weeks ago

Worthing

It's not the police themselves but orders from above. Those orders need to be reviewed.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
10 weeks ago

North West

My son has shown me an extended version of the Manchester airport video, available online it would seem. I cannot see any justification whatsoever for the actions of the police officer, none whatsoever.

Reply privately

By *asycouple1971Couple
10 weeks ago

midlands

"My son has shown me an extended version of the Manchester airport video, available online it would seem. I cannot see any justification whatsoever for the actions of the police officer, none whatsoever. "

Glad that officer got suspended. How on earth was he a firearm officer.

You can tell he has done this before.

Hope he gets charged.

Thug.

Reply privately

By *oofy321Man
10 weeks ago

moon base zero

"My son has shown me an extended version of the Manchester airport video, available online it would seem. I cannot see any justification whatsoever for the actions of the police officer, none whatsoever. "

Have you? So your saw 2 female officers punched and received a broken nose? Did you see the guy being kicked trying to grab the officers gun?

Reply privately

By *andG2024Couple
10 weeks ago

Atherstone

If you got to fight for you life you do what ever it needs to stop the other person sometimes shoot then ask questions as your long life is saved

Reply privately

By *andG2024Couple
10 weeks ago

Atherstone

"It is perfectly legal to kick a man in the head and stamp on him …

But IF and only if it’s necessary

From the footage, it didn’t appear necessary.

This stealing guns bit. The sidearm is in a holster with a complicated locking system and whilst I’ve only seen a brief clip of the incident, if he had a long barrelled weapon that would have been on a sling. It’s a red herring.

Gbat "

If it’s saves your life you fight for your own first then answer questions

Reply privately

By *andG2024Couple
10 weeks ago

Atherstone

"I think we are headed for some serious social unrest. I wouldn’t want to be a Bobby for all the tea in China… hands tied by political correctness or alignment with the yobs.

Look at the nonsense the Just Stop Oil dickheads get away with and the unposed dismantling of shaming of British history and monuments.

…damned if they do something about it and damned if they don’t.

Yes, there are corrupt and twisted ones… the same as any population that is big enough… look at Shipman and Letby in the NHS etc … the fact is, the police need to act as they did in the 70s and 80s, and stand up to the yobs and then when you have protesters (like in London) who outnumber the Met, get the Army in too!"

USA is a very hot melting pot soon to explode

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
10 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

"Long gone are the days real policemen like Axel Foley destroy 3 neighbourhoods for saving a kitten from evil punk skateboarders."

Reply privately

By *oofy321Man
10 weeks ago

moon base zero

The guy being kicked went for the officers gun....what was he gonna do with it? He is lucky its only a kicked head and not a bullet to the head

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

North West

"My son has shown me an extended version of the Manchester airport video, available online it would seem. I cannot see any justification whatsoever for the actions of the police officer, none whatsoever.

Have you? So your saw 2 female officers punched and received a broken nose? Did you see the guy being kicked trying to grab the officers gun?"

The very long video did not show any of that, no. One of the female officers who was nearby when the kicks were being delivered appeared to be crying. I don't dispute that police had noses broken and that the situation was very bad, but there was no apparent need to stamp on someone's head when they were already tasered, on the ground with their arms twisted behind their backs.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

North West

"The guy being kicked went for the officers gun....what was he gonna do with it? He is lucky its only a kicked head and not a bullet to the head "

He was not grabbing anything in the immediate seconds before the kicking/stamping, not while the stamping happened. He was lying face down, having been tasered and had his hands pulled behind his back. If he had grabbed at something earlier in the exchange, it was NOT when the kicking happened. Was it retribution?

I am generally someone who is tries to look for the reasons why something happened but on this occasion, I cannot justify.

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
10 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 25/07/24 16:51:18]

Reply privately

By *glyBettyTV/TS
10 weeks ago

I think its a deeper society issue.

Fully agree with you on this

I know when I was younger

We had a local Bobby that everyone respected

When I was being a dickhead I got caught

He would call around and chat to my mum

Who would usually give me a clip around the ear

And if dad heard about it id get another one later

But I respected that policeman all the same

Now I think they deserve respect

But have distanced themselves from most people

Politicians fault?

Perhaps

Establishment? Yes most certainly

We all say the good old days ??

But in my opinion they really were!!

N xxx"

...And an old man in a brown corduroy jacket and a flat cap, briskly cycled along the sepia-toned cobbled paths, smiling a cheery smile, as the Hovis music plays in the background...

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
10 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

I like to think that most people have the ability to realise that The Police are a collection of individuals and not a Borg-like hive mind that all thinks and behaves as one.

Personally, I have no less respect for the police now than I ever have. Some individuals are horrible people and sholuld never of been given any position of responsibility ever, but most are good decent people working hard to do the best for the general public.

Cal

Reply privately

By *abonTedCouple
10 weeks ago

Midlands & Cheltenham

Can Lee Anderson regain any respect.

Was he ever respected

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

There are two different videos of a man sitting on a bench alone. A police officer approaches, pepper sprays him and kicks him in the thigh as he is pushed face down on the floor and handcuffed.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"The guy being kicked went for the officers gun....what was he gonna do with it? He is lucky its only a kicked head and not a bullet to the head "

Where have you seen evidence of him going for the officer's gun ?

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"

...And an old man in a brown corduroy jacket and a flat cap, briskly cycled along the sepia-toned cobbled paths, smiling a cheery smile, as the Hovis music plays in the background..."

Jeremy Corbyn ?

Reply privately

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
10 weeks ago

Growing up I had respect for the police but was also slightly scared by them, Years later I started working around them through my job and found most are just doing a job like anyone else, you will get racists and arseholes in every type of workplace,

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

North West

"Can Lee Anderson regain any respect.

Was he ever respected "

No

No

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
10 weeks ago

Just around the corner

Are we talking about respect or fear?

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
10 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Are we talking about respect or fear?"

Why should people fear the police... unless they're breaking the law?

Reply privately

By *lowupdollTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Herts

The police seem to think (increasingly) they are a paramilitary organisation. Policing is by consent and acts like this are pushing that consent to breaking point.

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"Are we talking about respect or fear?

Why should people fear the police... unless they're breaking the law?"

it's possible that some fear the increasing evidence of police lawlessness

Reply privately

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
10 weeks ago

belfast

"Half the police now are worse than the actual criminals, majority of them I see [rarely] are often thug looking blokes or chav lasses, how can you respect that!"

What a pathetic snobby comment.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

belfast

"The guy being kicked went for the officers gun....what was he gonna do with it? He is lucky its only a kicked head and not a bullet to the head

Where have you seen evidence of him going for the officer's gun ?"

The full video is out there. I can't believe anyone thinks the video that is widely available is not cut like that to make the peelers look bad. Very naive.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

belfast

Bullet would have sorted the scumbag out.

Reply privately

By *irwanksalot69Man
10 weeks ago

Birmingham

"The guy being kicked went for the officers gun....what was he gonna do with it? He is lucky its only a kicked head and not a bullet to the head

Bullet would have sorted the scumbag out. "

You really think that way?

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"The full video is out there."

link please

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

A Police Officer is in court today for stealing over £100 from a dead man's wallet.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"The full video is out there.

link please"

Why haven't the Police released their bodycam footage ?

Reply privately

By *he_turtle_movesMan
10 weeks ago

york

"The full video is out there.

link please

Why haven't the Police released their bodycam footage ?"

The police rarely do as it will be evidence in the criminal investigation. Releasing it to the public could prejudice a jury.

It's a difficult argument in the modern day when so many clips are sent straight to the press.

Reply privately

By *emptmeonceWoman
10 weeks ago

the Northern Hemisphere

There are always 3 sides to a story in the media. Stats can also be manipulated to reflect an agenda.

On the whole the police have a damned if they do, damned if they don't, thankless job. It's also easy to see that they can get compassion fatigue when dealing with hostile people regularly. The system needs to be better to improve their morale/ well being & prevent any poor culture forming within the service.

All of that said, they are not above the law & it's fair to expect them to demonstrate their measured response training & maintain their professionalism, the same as any person in an authority role, under pressures of the job. Otherwise, what makes them any different to civilians taking matters into their own hands or criminals behaving like violent thugs?

Reply privately

By *tarbeckCouple
10 weeks ago

york

"I like to think that most people have the ability to realise that The Police are a collection of individuals and not a Borg-like hive mind that all thinks and behaves as one.

Personally, I have no less respect for the police now than I ever have. Some individuals are horrible people and sholuld never of been given any position of responsibility ever, but most are good decent people working hard to do the best for the general public.

Cal"

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

North West

In a packed airport, in a confined space, with a something substantially more powerful than a handgun?

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

North West

It upsets me that the solicitor now addressing the press is a very undesirable person. It makes the whole situation very

Reply privately

By *929Man
10 weeks ago

newcastle

Probably never unless they get out of their habit of making regular people utterly despise them through their actions

Reply privately

By *atnip make me purrWoman
10 weeks ago

Reading

You really want the police to be judge jury and executioner? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Reply privately

By *estinysswingersCouple
10 weeks ago

Worsley

Bad apples in every organisation but the police does seem to have more than it's fair share though.

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"Bad apples in every organisation but the police does seem to have more than it's fair share though."

To be fair they don’t kill anywhere near as many people as the NHS. Some of their employees are grossly negligent but a few are serial killers.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *idssissyTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Birmingham

Like every organisation there are good and bad apples and often the bad apples are the ones who make the news.

But hard to garner respect when you read stories of officers admitting stealing money from someone who died in the street.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
10 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Send in gene hunt , he would sort it "

Noyt until he's had his 'oops!

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
10 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Bad apples in every organisation but the police does seem to have more than it's fair share though.

To be fair they don’t kill anywhere near as many people as the NHS. Some of their employees are grossly negligent but a few are serial killers.

Gbat "

Harold Shipman springs to mind.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Is it time to send the army in to guard our airports ?

Reply privately

By *hil most chillMan
10 weeks ago

London & Europe

The police are a corrupt institute riddled with problems from top to bottom. They need dismantling and rebuilding from scratch

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"The police are a corrupt institute riddled with problems from top to bottom. They need dismantling and rebuilding from scratch "

Agreed. Send in the Army

Reply privately

By *dqsyMan
10 weeks ago

Mappawell

Send in the Army lol. The public aren't ready for that.

One problem we all have now is lawfare. The public and use of the legal system to try get their way. Dont like being told to do something sue and see if you can get money.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Send in the Army lol. The public aren't ready for that.

One problem we all have now is lawfare. The public and use of the legal system to try get their way. Dont like being told to do something sue and see if you can get money. "

The army would have sorted this with no fuss

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"The police are a corrupt institute riddled with problems from top to bottom. They need dismantling and rebuilding from scratch "

How does that work Phil? What will it actually look like in reality?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ilver_foxxx69Man
10 weeks ago

Falkirk

It’s not just the police. We have become so soft as a society that people don’t fear consequences of their actions.

It’s the same in schools etc.

Similarly we allow people to come to this country and do what they want and disregard our culture, standards, morals, ethics etc and there’s no consequences. We’re so worried about being labelled intolerant that we let people take the piss.

Other countries enforce their way of life in their country and if you don’t respect it there are consequences.

We should be the same.

Reply privately

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"

Similarly we allow people to come to this country and do what they want and disregard our culture, standards, morals, ethics etc and there’s no consequences. "

Please could you give me some examples of this.

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

robbing money off dead people now .... jeez what next?

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"The police are a corrupt institute riddled with problems from top to bottom. They need dismantling and rebuilding from scratch

Gbat "

probably look similar to the time 23 years ago when this country dismantled and rebuilt the third largest force in the uk

Reply privately

By *uffolkcouple-bi onlyCouple
10 weeks ago

West Suffolk

The recent events in Manchester where an officer kicked a guy in the face while he was lying in the floor come to mind. Yes I’m sure they had been in a fight, yes I’m sure the guy had punched the cop seconds earlier, yes I’m sure the cop just “lost it” momentarily. But this was a cop that carried firearms. What if……

Yes there’s a case for saying a few bad apples spoil the barrel, but the way those are dealt with just reinforce the notion that the police think they are above the law and can do whatever they want.

I’m a photographer and I’ve watched lots of “photography is not a crime” videos where people, perfectly legally, take photos near police stations. The cops treat them like they are breaking the law and there’s been countless civil lawsuits against the police for unlawful arrest, unlawful search and abuse of powers. And this is all over the country. Hundreds of police stations.

The only way cops seem to be held to account for their actions is when it makes the news. Other than that they just get away with it.

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

Casting my eye over all the comments on this thread, I agree and also disagree with the various points raised.

I'm going to put this out there now in one simple sentence:-

Stop all your moans, gripes and sly comments, if anyone thinks they can do a better job policing our broken country, best you sign up and show the rest of the police force how its done and where they are going wrong.!!!!!!!

Reply privately

By *hil most chillMan
10 weeks ago

London & Europe

Anyone who's been in the army or worked with them would know they are definitely not the solution

Reply privately

10 weeks ago

OK so explain what you know?

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"The police are a corrupt institute riddled with problems from top to bottom. They need dismantling and rebuilding from scratch

Gbat

probably look similar to the time 23 years ago when this country dismantled and rebuilt the third largest force in the uk "

I guess you're talking about Police Scotland?

Do you really think they dismantled and rebuilt from scratch? Honestly?

Amalgamations of police forces are nothing new. Where I lived in the UK, four police forces amalgamated in 1979 to make a bigger one. Less than 20 years later, that Force was rebranded with a different badge and name as their boundaries changed yet again.

Scores of amalgamations have taken place over fairly recent years.

That's what's happened in Scotland. In the main, they use the same buildings, the same vehicles and the same people. Economies of scale have allowed them to shed senior officers thereby allowing that money to be spent elsewhere.

But for most Scottish police officers, the only change they experienced when Police Scotland was formed, was a new set of badges, perhaps a new senior boss and a different letter head.

Hardly dismantling and rebuilding from scratch is it?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *cLovin2Man
10 weeks ago

Reading

A somewhat rose tinted view of the past imo. Law abiding people still do respect the police generally. The issue is that the behaviour of some police has come out in the open and it's not to do with people claiming they know their rights. It's to do with serving policeman rapists and murdering think Sarah everard. There's loads of stories I heard at school from the black community, who had a very different experience than your white school kid.

You need to open your mind a bit to try to understand other perspectives and why they are the way they are. As opposed to dismissal as the "pc brigade"

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

Gbat

probably look similar to the time 23 years ago when this country dismantled and rebuilt the third largest force in the uk

I guess you're talking about Police Scotland?

Do you really think they dismantled and rebuilt from scratch? Honestly?

Amalgamations of police forces are nothing new. Where I lived in the UK, four police forces amalgamated in 1979 to make a bigger one. Less than 20 years later, that Force was rebranded with a different badge and name as their boundaries changed yet again.

Scores of amalgamations have taken place over fairly recent years.

That's what's happened in Scotland. In the main, they use the same buildings, the same vehicles and the same people. Economies of scale have allowed them to shed senior officers thereby allowing that money to be spent elsewhere.

But for most Scottish police officers, the only change they experienced when Police Scotland was formed, was a new set of badges, perhaps a new senior boss and a different letter head.

Hardly dismantling and rebuilding from scratch is it?

Gbat "

no, nothing to do with scotland ... but you going off on one was highly entertaining ... thanks

Reply privately

By *hrill CollinsMan
10 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

" "pc brigade""

was that pun intended?

Reply privately

By *abtastic Mr FoxMan
10 weeks ago

A den in the Glen

'Ello ello ello, what's going on 'ere then?

Reply privately

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

"

no, nothing to do with scotland ... but you going off on one was highly entertaining ..."

My apologies, in guessing the wrong force. But what I said stands for any amalgamation of police forces or boundary changes. To think of that as rebuilding from scratch is stupid.

And why do you think I was going off on one? Not in the slightest. Get a grip fella!!!

Gbat

Reply privately

By *hagTonight OP   Man
10 weeks ago

I have done a new thread that we can continue on

Reply privately