Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A polite thank you

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom was brought up to use manners and say a polite, excuse me, thank you, hold doors open and to give way in pedestrian settings to ladies with children and prams etc. Increasingly, some of these entitled people sail through without so much as an acknowledgement. Makes Toms blood boil ...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
11 weeks ago

"Tom was brought up to use manners and say a polite, excuse me, thank you, hold doors open and to give way in pedestrian settings to ladies with children and prams etc. Increasingly, some of these entitled people sail through without so much as an acknowledgement. Makes Toms blood boil ..."

Have to say Tom, there’s not much in life that doesn’t make your blood boil!

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

Don’t do it anymore then. Fuck ‘em.

By *ensuallover1000Man
11 weeks ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I agree with you wholeheartedly Tom

When I open a door for someone or else supply a gesture of politeness, I expect a thanks, a smile - something….anything!

Mutherfuckers!

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

Although I always offer a gesture of thanks when someone does this for me, I would feel hypocritical if I considered this mandatory for others. If you require something in return for doing something kind, then you were doing it for you rather than the other person.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
11 weeks ago

I never expect a thank you, but admittedly when an elderly gentleman gave me a telling off for holding the door open for him, it left me annoyed.

By *orningGlory555Man
11 weeks ago

Wells

people these days are just rude (ok not all but more so than before) I was only in a Ronalds yesterday waiting to place my order, a lady walks in with her kids and just pushes in front of me, and even when I said excuse me there are others waiting she just looked and carried on.. fuming to say the least

By *ickshawedCouple
11 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

I have been shouted at in the street for not saying thank you to a woman who stood aside for me. In all honesty I hadn't noticed her. I was bent down talking to my 5 year old as we walked to school.

This left me rather upset and confused. Why not just be nice? Accept that not everyone will respond how you expect. Just calm down about it.

By *uckurcumMan
11 weeks ago

Nowhereland

Holding the door open for one person seems to cause the floodgates to open,and hey presto,your a doorman...

People,not all, don't respond to courtesy,in fact the blank look if you say thank you or smile politely at someone is lost ...

And that's across the age groups ....in some cases the older the worse they are these days

By *lofeldMan
11 weeks ago

Redhill

Agreed. Manners cost nothing as they say.

Another thing that winds me up is on a train, when some helmet is not only rambling on down their phone, but they also have their speaker phone on so that any lucky person can listen to their friend's gibberish as well as their own. Bastards.

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

"Holding the door open for one person seems to cause the floodgates to open,and hey presto,your a doorman...

People,not all, don't respond to courtesy,in fact the blank look if you say thank you or smile politely at someone is lost ...

And that's across the age groups ....in some cases the older the worse they are these days "

To be honest I'm such a go-with-the-flow guy that unless I need to hustle to an urgent appointment or get to a shop before it shuts I'm quite happy to hold the door for as long as there's traffic passing through it. :P

By *ellinever70Woman
11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

I don't get miffed if someone doesn't show gratitude when I hold a door for them

And I probably don't always say please and thank you either

Shoot me

By *lofeldMan
11 weeks ago

Redhill

"I don't get miffed if someone doesn't show gratitude when I hold a door for them

And I probably don't always say please and thank you either

Shoot me "

Disgraceful. Consider yourself shot

By *oodmessMan
11 weeks ago

yumsville

It's like that first car that waves after you've stopped, the next through, your eyes are drilled on them for that hand on the air..

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
11 weeks ago

hexham

I went into a church the other day and told everyone I was going to donate £100 to a box in there that was put aside for disabled children in my area. I also made sure everyone knew I was putting another £100 into the church repairs box.

Nobody batted an eyelid!

Then this little old lady came in and dropped a few coppers into the charity box! The priest was straight over thanking her and helping her to a seat, she got a cup of tea and everything

True story!

The world has gone mad !

By *lofeldMan
11 weeks ago

Redhill

"I went into a church the other day and told everyone I was going to donate £100 to a box in there that was put aside for disabled children in my area. I also made sure everyone knew I was putting another £100 into the church repairs box.

Nobody batted an eyelid!

Then this little old lady came in and dropped a few coppers into the charity box! The priest was straight over thanking her and helping her to a seat, she got a cup of tea and everything

True story!

The world has gone mad ! "

Well...it could have been the telling everyone bit, tbf...but nice of you to donate

11 weeks ago

"I went into a church the other day and told everyone I was going to donate £100 to a box in there that was put aside for disabled children in my area. I also made sure everyone knew I was putting another £100 into the church repairs box.

Nobody batted an eyelid!

True story!

The world has gone mad ! "

I think you have been reading the gospel according to Luke!

11 weeks ago

And a nuver fing

On the tube last week (Victoria line) I stood for a pregnant lady as the train was packed. I said clearly in my noticeable and gritty northern drone “you need to sit in your condition” I made sure the other passengers were aware of my gallantry and colloquial northern politeness. But alas the lady wasn’t and I alighted at Green Park somewhat red and embarrassed.

By *ripfillMan
11 weeks ago

havant

Manners are a natural phenomenon for me -

It may seem a bit OTT but i think it’s ok…

It makes it more pleasant and kind and considerate

And I am a natural giver

By *lthomasMan
11 weeks ago

Wolves

"And a nuver fing

On the tube last week (Victoria line) I stood for a pregnant lady as the train was packed. I said clearly in my noticeable and gritty northern drone “you need to sit in your condition” I made sure the other passengers were aware of my gallantry and colloquial northern politeness. But alas the lady wasn’t and I alighted at Green Park somewhat red and embarrassed."

I believe the moral is I'd rather leave a pregnant woman standing... rather than see a fat girl sitting but crying..

and that's a joke before any of you start

By *oadsafun1960Man
11 weeks ago

Somerset & Hertfordshire

I held a door open at a shopping centre for a lady walking just behind me. Was gobsmacked when she snarled at me I'm perfectly capable of opening my own doors!

I'd have held it for anyone to be honest but that was just so ungrateful.

By *ellinever70Woman
11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"I held a door open at a shopping centre for a lady walking just behind me. Was gobsmacked when she snarled at me I'm perfectly capable of opening my own doors!

I'd have held it for anyone to be honest but that was just so ungrateful.

"

It utterly amazes me the number of men this allegedly happens to.

11 weeks ago

"I never expect a thank you, but admittedly when an elderly gentleman gave me a telling off for holding the door open for him, it left me annoyed."

Sorry, it's just that I do not feel elderly (I know I have grey hair, but...)

By *inky_couple2020Couple
11 weeks ago

North West

It's when people start pulling at the door I've already part opened, thus yanking me backwards and risking tipping my wheelchair.....

Yes, I probably shout at those people because tipping backwards in your wheelchair is a) scary, b) painful when you land and c) really fucking embarrassing.

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
11 weeks ago

hexham

Nobody batted an eyelid!

True story!

The world has gone mad !

I think you have been reading the gospel according to Luke!"

Oooh you smarty pants you

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
11 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

If you're only doing the nice thing in expectation of some gratitude, you don't deserve the gratitude

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

"If you're only doing the nice thing in expectation of some gratitude, you don't deserve the gratitude "

It's like giving someone a gift then getting mad at them for not needing/wanting the thing and returning or exchanging it.

By *layfullsamMan
11 weeks ago

Solihull

I agree Tom but tbf I do it for myself if they say thanks that’s great if they don’t it’s more a reflection on there manners

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
11 weeks ago

St Leonards

"It's when people start pulling at the door I've already part opened, thus yanking me backwards and risking tipping my wheelchair.....

Yes, I probably shout at those people because tipping backwards in your wheelchair is a) scary, b) painful when you land and c) really fucking embarrassing. "

On the positive side, at least you're flat on your back, legs splayed, with maybe a flap on display - so you've dispensed with all that time-consuming flirtation xxxx

By *essica FlabbitWoman
11 weeks ago

west midlands/shropshire

I always shout out 'your welcomed '.

11 weeks ago

North West

"It's when people start pulling at the door I've already part opened, thus yanking me backwards and risking tipping my wheelchair.....

Yes, I probably shout at those people because tipping backwards in your wheelchair is a) scary, b) painful when you land and c) really fucking embarrassing.

On the positive side, at least you're flat on your back, legs splayed, with maybe a flap on display - so you've dispensed with all that time-consuming flirtation xxxx"

The flaps definitely need refolding and the back door closing, after such an encounter

By *_Mr.K_xMan
11 weeks ago

Somewhere between Hades and Narnia

What is Tom's stance on when someone doesn't acknowledge that you've let them out of a junction, and they don't set 'thanks'?

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

"What is Tom's stance on when someone doesn't acknowledge that you've let them out of a junction, and they don't set 'thanks'?"

Follows them home and gets the trusty crowbar out of his boot.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
11 weeks ago

St Leonards

On the positive side, at least you're flat on your back, legs splayed, with maybe a flap on display - so you've dispensed with all that time-consuming flirtation xxxx

The flaps definitely need refolding and the back door closing, after such an encounter "

xxxx

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

On the positive side, at least you're flat on your back, legs splayed, with maybe a flap on display - so you've dispensed with all that time-consuming flirtation xxxx"

Ever the bringer of a silver lining.

By *r John WickMan
11 weeks ago

The Continental

"What is Tom's stance on when someone doesn't acknowledge that you've let them out of a junction, and they don't set 'thanks'?"

Hope they get a puncture on the way home.

By *asterMeliodasMan
11 weeks ago

Near Keith

Yes, I probably shout at those people because tipping backwards in your wheelchair is a) scary, b) painful when you land and c) really fucking embarrassing. "

It's so awkward when I'm starting to move around my wife's wheelchair to get a door open and someone in front of us tries to do it but just ends up kind of vaguely getting in the way and not opening the door enough for the chair to actually fit through.

11 weeks ago

North West

It's so awkward when I'm starting to move around my wife's wheelchair to get a door open and someone in front of us tries to do it but just ends up kind of vaguely getting in the way and not opening the door enough for the chair to actually fit through."

Yes!!

Me to person standing in the doorway, holding it open:

"I'm happy to run over your feet/elbow you in the groin, but probably best if you just go through the door"

11 weeks ago

Tom's from Essex, so he drives a souped up Ford Fiesta (can't afford a 1970s Ford Esc0rt) and so is oblivious to others trying to pull out of junctions

By *ickyKlungespeareMan
11 weeks ago

St Leonards

Ever the bringer of a silver lining. "

By *ensuallover1000Man
11 weeks ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

The other week I opened a door for what transpired to be a particularly ungrateful cunt who failed to acknowledge my awesome social etiquette and finely tuned manners.

I gave that mutherfucker a filthy look I can tell you

By *a LunaWoman
11 weeks ago

South

It used to annoy me Tom, and then on the few occasions I went shopping with my mum and someone didn’t say thank you if she’d opened the door, she’d say (really loudly, within earshot of them) “what am I? Invisible?!” and I’d feel a bit cringe.

So now I tend to just tut to myself and move on.

By *929Man
11 weeks ago

newcastle

I just loudly call them an ignorant cunt in those instances manners cost fuck all

By *4bimMan
11 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

I'm polite to a point.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
11 weeks ago

Stourbridge

I hold doors open for everyone irrespective of age or gender. It’s just good manners.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom's thought on junctions is a whole new topic....

11 weeks ago

It's so awkward when I'm starting to move around my wife's wheelchair to get a door open and someone in front of us tries to do it but just ends up kind of vaguely getting in the way and not opening the door enough for the chair to actually fit through.

Yes!!

"I'm happy to run over your feet/elbow you in the groin, but probably best if you just go through the door" "

You sound so angry?

11 weeks ago

North West

Yes!!

"I'm happy to run over your feet/elbow you in the groin, but probably best if you just go through the door"

You sound so angry?"

Nope. Not in the slightest. Thanks for asking though

By *oubleswing2019Man
11 weeks ago

Colchester

I prefer the "May I get the door for you? approach and then they can either say "Sure" or "No thanks, I'm good".

11 weeks ago

Yes!!

You sound so angry?

Nope. Not in the slightest. Thanks for asking though "

It was a statement.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
11 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I like to hold doors open for people, and then let them go just as they get there

Yes, I am very childish

11 weeks ago

North West

Yes!!

You sound so angry?

It was a statement."

Soz, the question mark threw me.

Have a jolly splendid evening and night and a most wonderful Tuesday.

11 weeks ago

Yes!!

You sound so angry?

It was a statement.

Have a jolly splendid evening and night and a most wonderful Tuesday. "

Perhaps I was being a tad rhetorical. Apologies.

11 weeks ago

North West

Yes!!

You sound so angry?

It was a statement.

Have a jolly splendid evening and night and a most wonderful Tuesday.

Perhaps I was being a tad rhetorical. Apologies."

Accepted, dear fellow.

By *lue RascalMan
11 weeks ago

Cheshire Liverpool Manchester

I love giving a snotty “you’re welcome mate” to someone who doesn’t say thank you after I’ve held the door for them. Gobshites.

By *aseylee324Couple
11 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

I only hold doors so I can feel superior to anyone who doesn't thank me

By *vbride1963TV/TS
11 weeks ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Tom's thought on junctions is a whole new topic...."

I’m very upset they no longer make topics .

By *8on33Man
11 weeks ago

winfrith

"Tom was brought up to use manners and say a polite, excuse me, thank you, hold doors open and to give way in pedestrian settings to ladies with children and prams etc. Increasingly, some of these entitled people sail through without so much as an acknowledgement. Makes Toms blood boil ..."
Yes manners maketh man .

Post new Message to Thread