Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Non to French

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports that A level students are shunning studying French with only 7,000 studying it this year down from 27,000 and Spain taking over. France are one of our closest neighbors although tensions between the two countries have heightened since England left Europe and disputes over the boat people, go slows at the ports at peak holiday times and the annual French holiday air traffic control antics. What language would you study and why ? It's all over the news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *tephanjMan
12 weeks ago

Kettering

Japanese love to do a lot of spelling mistakes

By *till gameMan
12 weeks ago

two doors down

I’d study the language of love

For the ladies of course

By *oiluvfunMan
12 weeks ago

Mauchline

I aced my O Level in French.

It wasn’t in the news though…..

By *lynJMan
12 weeks ago

Morden

Chinese or Spanish.

Spanish is spoken by more people than French.

By *d4fun73Man
12 weeks ago

Shipley

Spanish is easier to learn

By *uperted39Man
12 weeks ago

bushey

Already 5 languages (including basic french) so Spanish is the one for me

By (user no longer on site)
12 weeks ago

"Chinese or Spanish.

Spanish is spoken by more people than French."

The three most used languages in the world. Chinese, English, Spanish.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

12 weeks ago

East Sussex

Mandarin Chinese might be a useful language to know

By *he love catsCouple
12 weeks ago

South Wales

We were in a graduation ceremony on Monday and there was a lot of people who graduated with diploma's in Chinese.

I'm useless at languages I live in Wales although can't speak any Welsh, even though it's been a compulsory subject throughout my school life.

By *8on33Man
12 weeks ago

winfrith

"Reports that A level students are shunning studying French with only 7,000 studying it this year down from 27,000 and Spain taking over. France are one of our closest neighbors although tensions between the two countries have heightened since England left Europe and disputes over the boat people, go slows at the ports at peak holiday times and the annual French holiday air traffic control antics. What language would you study and why ? It's all over the news"
Italian for me it's a lovely language.

By *ansoffateMan
12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Hindi or Spanish

By *nnCeeWoman
12 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

Je ne sais pas...

Je peux parler un peu de Français...

Tambien, Español...

Auch, ein bißchen Deutsch...

And a few words in languages in other countries I've visited (Iceland, Greece, Thailand)

Currently trying to learn a little Arabic for a trip to Morocco later in the year. I do like language.

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

The sooner that all languages other than English get sidelined and phased out, the better and simpler for everyone.

Sadly I will not live to see that day. at least I am lucky to have the leading language already.

If people had put their mind to it and actively striven to discourage the use of other languages, we would already be living in a far less complicated world.

You should all know it makes sense, I do!

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

"Chinese or Spanish.

The three most used languages in the world. Chinese, English, Spanish. "

When will people realise that that the significance of a language has less to do with the number of speakers than with the significance of its existing usage on the world stage?

By *ot-buttered-toastMan
12 weeks ago

Stepney

"Je ne sais pas...

Tambien, Español...

And a few words in languages in other countries I've visited (Iceland, Greece, Thailand)

Currently trying to learn a little Arabic for a trip to Morocco later in the year. I do like language. "

I tried to learn a bit of Arabic when I was planning on doing a bus trip around Africa. Gave up when I realised how different it is in each area. I speak pretty good Chinese and Indonesian/Malay, but of Russian and some Laos/Thai. Learning languages is fun, but so bloody frustrating!

By *aM 689Man
12 weeks ago

Mordor

"Reports that A level students are shunning studying French with only 7,000 studying it this year down from 27,000 and Spain taking over. France are one of our closest neighbors although tensions between the two countries have heightened since England left Europe and disputes over the boat people, go slows at the ports at peak holiday times and the annual French holiday air traffic control antics. What language would you study and why ? It's all over the news"

England left Europe ? Interesting take Tom

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

"

England left Europe ? Interesting take Tom "

A lot seem to be obsessed with Europe just at the moment.

I'm expecting to have the shops to myself this evening!

By *ad NannaWoman
12 weeks ago

East London

"Je ne sais pas...

Tambien, Español...

Currently trying to learn a little Arabic for a trip to Morocco later in the year. I do like language. "

Are you learning the Moroccan Arabic dialect?

By *ad NannaWoman
12 weeks ago

East London

"Reports that A level students are shunning studying French with only 7,000 studying it this year down from 27,000 and Spain taking over. France are one of our closest neighbors although tensions between the two countries have heightened since England left Europe and disputes over the boat people, go slows at the ports at peak holiday times and the annual French holiday air traffic control antics. What language would you study and why ? It's all over the news

England left Europe ? Interesting take Tom "

Do we have our own continent now?

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
12 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

Russian...so I can pretend to be one when they invade..

By *batMan
12 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"The sooner that all languages other than English get sidelined and phased out, the better and simpler for everyone.

Sadly I will not live to see that day. at least I am lucky to have the leading language already.

If people had put their mind to it and actively striven to discourage the use of other languages, we would already be living in a far less complicated world.

You should all know it makes sense, I do!"

It absolutely DOES NOT make sense. It’s a similar concept yo everyone being blonde haired and blue eyed.

Diversity, including linguistic diversity, is a gift, not a challenge to overcome.

Gbat

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"

Diversity, including linguistic diversity, is a gift, not a challenge to overcome.

Gbat "

But Batty, Tom only speaks English on here and leaves his native tongue for family. Even so, many fabbers struggle to interpret and understand Toms messages in he same way that Batty's are barely comprehensible....

Tombat

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

"The sooner that all languages other than English get sidelined and phased out, the better and simpler for everyone.

You should all know it makes sense, I do!

It absolutely DOES NOT make sense. It’s a similar concept yo everyone being blonde haired and blue eyed.

Gbat "

Can't be having with blue eyed blondes particularly but doing all the groundwork in English certainly helps me shag my way through the globally sourced diversity I have come to enjoy.

Give an easier life a try, while still enjoying the diversity which matters!

12 weeks ago

"

Gbat "

By *endalshaggersCouple
12 weeks ago

Kendal

I butcher English at the best of times.

And work in an office with a German, two Dutch, three French, a Spainsh, a Portuguese speaker and the company is owned by a Canadian company based in Quebec so they speak French first.

By *ornycougaWoman
12 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Spanish so I can understand what the hell is going on when I head to cental and south America

By *nnCeeWoman
12 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

"Je ne sais pas...

Tambien, Español...

Currently trying to learn a little Arabic for a trip to Morocco later in the year. I do like language.

Are you learning the Moroccan Arabic dialect? "

The cleaner on our floor is from Marrakech, so I've learnt a few phrases from her/she has helped me with pronunciation. Although I think hello and thank you in Berber will be something I learn too!

By *ealMissShadyWoman
12 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

I speak Welsh and it's such a shame UK Schools don't value native languages. I mean, majority of UK kids are more likely to work or holiday in Wales, Scotland or Ireland surely?

I couldn't speak any English until I went to a CofE School, I wasn't allowed to speak Welsh there

By *lynJMan
12 weeks ago

Morden

"Chinese or Spanish.

When will people realise that that the significance of a language has less to do with the number of speakers than with the significance of its existing usage on the world stage?"

Sorry, I don't follow your argument. English, Spanish and Chinese are the most used first or second languages in the world. How is that not on the world stage?

12 weeks ago

Esperanto

By *ripfillMan
12 weeks ago

havant

Swahili - Jambo Habiri

I had a Collins phrase book years ago

I could order beer - and tell the bar man

“ my dog is sick but happy birthday grandmother”

Never quite mastered it

By *ornucopiaMan
12 weeks ago

Bexley

"Chinese or Spanish.

When will people realise that that the significance of a language has less to do with the number of speakers than with the significance of its existing usage on the world stage?

Sorry, I don't follow your argument. English, Spanish and Chinese are the most used first or second languages in the world. How is that not on the world stage?"

The world stage is not necesarily the same as a nation's mother tongue, regardless of the size of a population.

I fully understand what I mean and am more than happy with my logic!

By *ark73XXXMan
12 weeks ago

North Staffs/South Cheshire

Malheurusement, Tom a ecrit un mauvaise message, comme d’habitude. Le Royame-Uni a choisi de devenir un pay tiers apres le Brexit. Quel honte!

By *batMan
12 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"I fully understand what I mean and am more than happy with my logic!"

Yeah, but unless others understand what you mean, it’s not really communication, whatever language you use.

Gbat

Post new Message to Thread