Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Taylor Gives

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You may have read that Taylor Swift has donated enough money to cover the food bills for an entire year across 11 food banks and 8 community pantries in Liverpool. She has however done this for every city she's toured in.

It’s very kind, tax deductible and great marketing. I’m sure her right hand knows exactly what her left-hand is doing.

I’m a big fan of her music but this doesn’t impress me. There are far bigger givers in the world who do it much more discreetly

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

14 weeks ago

East Sussex

I'm not bothered by 'indiscreet' giving. A gift is a gift.

What did bother me was someone describing her very generous gestures as 'eradicating food poverty'.

By *midnight-Woman
14 weeks ago

Awww I don't think you should knock her - sure it's tax deductible etc, but she's actually doing a lot of good and sharing a little of her wealth.... Maybe some of her younger fans will be inspired to follow in her footsteps!

By *dam_TinaCouple
14 weeks ago

Hampshire

How do you know about the other givers if they're so discreet ?

By *uckurcumMan
14 weeks ago

Nowhereland

She's desperate to be bigger than her ego and believes her own hype....

Even hersongs ..calling them that loosely are all about her ...

She's a product of current times ... Not particularly talented,nothing particular to say or add to culture,art or voice and opinion,or be controversial to get people talking, she's self centered and hollow ..

People with a soul give with discretion,not for the 'Oh how great am I'fqctor.

I hope she marrys Kelce, it'll be another Bobby Brown and Whitney as he drags her down the slippery slope ...

A fitting end...

Yes,you'll have gathered I'm no fan

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

14 weeks ago

East Sussex

"She's desperate to be bigger than her ego and believes her own hype....

She's a product of current times ... Not particularly talented,nothing particular to say or add to culture,art or voice and opinion,or be controversial to get people talking, she's self centered and hollow ..

I hope she marrys Kelce, it'll be another Bobby Brown and Whitney as he drags her down the slippery slope ...

A fitting end...

"

Blimey!

I've never seen her talking about her extremely generous donations only the very grateful recipients.

Wishing harm on her isn't a nice thing to do

By *affron40Woman
14 weeks ago

manchester

Jesus. Can people not be nice anymore. The woman gives massive donations to every city she plays in and gets vilified. She does more than most. I think she’s fab.

By *ora the explorerWoman
14 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Wow. Wtf? Jesus, people can’t win!

By *r John WickMan
14 weeks ago

The Continental

I suppose some rather she kept her money in a massive vault and sat there counting it while saying “fuck the world, I’ll keep it all to myself”?

By *weetiepie99Woman
14 weeks ago

cardiff

I say good on her. People are so cynical. I'm sure with all the money she earns, she's really not bothered on what's tax deductible or not!!

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
14 weeks ago

stockport

A kind gesture should not be derided by cynics

By *ealitybitesMan
14 weeks ago

Belfast

I'm not a fan and know nothing about her music at all but I read a recent comment by Robbie Williams in regard to why celebs and those with wealth are lambasted for taking part in things like Soccer Aid and asking others to donate rather than contribute some of their vast wealth themselves.

I'm not a big fan of his either but he did have a point when he said he had donated enormous amounts to various charities and causes but didn't like to blow his own trumpet because some would say he was showing off so he can't win.

He said from now on he is going to announce when he donates and let the haters hate.

If Taylor Swift is giving back to the communities she is playing in, I say well done regardless of my opinion on her as an artist and/or icon.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
14 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

What evil deed occurred ?

Who caused the evil ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
14 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

A fitting end...

"

Not being a fanatic of her or her music is one thing.

Spouting unsubstantiated opinion about someone you don't know is another.

Your post is just vitriol and bile.

I wish you better times and more self love

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
14 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Just because it's tax deductible, it doesn't necessarily make the motive cynical! - she didn't make the tax laws.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
14 weeks ago

Glasgow

"What evil deed occurred ? Who caused the evil ?"

We’ve become a nation that relies on charity and handouts to feed itself. 14 years of Tory governments caused it.

Yet somehow, apparently Taylor Swift is the baddie?

By *8on33Man
14 weeks ago

winfrith

"Wow. Wtf? Jesus, people can’t win! "
Jesus people definitely can't win praise be the lord .

By *ansoffateMan
14 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Personally, I think the discreet element is kind of irrelevant. It's not about Taylor Swift it's about the immediate issue of people being hungry in 2024 and having to rely upon food banks. If her fame draws people's attention to the backward demeaning vulgarity of people having to rely upon the charity of the extreme wealthy to survive - like it's the 19th century - then that's a good thing.

Perhaps it's now time to have a welfare state and sensible economic distribution that's fit for purpose - instead of some archaic charity system to meet basic human needs like food?

By *orthernJayMan
14 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

I know she significantly donated to food banks in Liverpool because my mum manages one of them!

Tell a hungry child where their food comes from and see how much they care if it was Swift, Williams or anybody else!

Who cares if it’s a tax loophole, marketing ploy or sycophantic act !?!

Hungry children get to eat and don’t go hungry today!

By *8on33Man
14 weeks ago

winfrith

"Personally, I think the discreet element is kind of irrelevant. It's not about Taylor Swift it's about the immediate issue of people being hungry in 2024 and having to rely upon food banks. If her fame draws people's attention to the backward demeaning vulgarity of people having to rely upon the charity of the extreme wealthy to survive - like it's the 19th century - then that's a good thing.

Perhaps it's now time to have a welfare state and sensible economic distribution that's fit for purpose - instead of some archaic charity system to meet basic human needs like food?"

are you on about the State pension that puts most of the elderly on the bread line .

By *orthernJayMan
14 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

"Personally, I think the discreet element is kind of irrelevant. It's not about Taylor Swift it's about the immediate issue of people being hungry in 2024 and having to rely upon food banks. If her fame draws people's attention to the backward demeaning vulgarity of people having to rely upon the charity of the extreme wealthy to survive - like it's the 19th century - then that's a good thing.

Perhaps it's now time to have a welfare state and sensible economic distribution that's fit for purpose - instead of some archaic charity system to meet basic human needs like food?"

It’s a national disgrace that we have hungry children as well as the volumes of homelessness that persists in the UK.

By *enSiskoMan
14 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Great to hear she has done this, its good to give back.

By *rsKOTCTWoman
14 weeks ago

Leeds

Helping out food banks and such are hugely appreciated & let's face it shouldn't exist in this day and age.

I don't understand why this would be a bad thing, since when is someone doing good something bad?

People can't win these days there's always some negativity towards anything.

I'm pretty sure the people who rely on these food banks will be appreciative.

By (user no longer on site)
14 weeks ago

"Jesus. Can people not be nice anymore. The woman gives massive donations to every city she plays in and gets vilified. She does more than most. I think she’s fab."

I totally agree with this lady.

Her view on life is one of acceptance of being very privileged but happy to contribute to worthy causes. Perhaps a bit of credit is required where it’s due.

Personally the music is not for me but it floats a lot of boats and brings pleasure to many.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
14 weeks ago

Stourbridge

What has Jesus done now?

14 weeks ago

"I know she significantly donated to food banks in Liverpool because my mum manages one of them!

Tell a hungry child where their food comes from and see how much they care if it was Swift, Williams or anybody else!

Who cares if it’s a tax loophole, marketing ploy or sycophantic act !?!

Hungry children get to eat and don’t go hungry today! "

Well said young man!

But this country should not be reliant on food banks to feed its children.

14 weeks ago

"Wow. Wtf? Jesus, people can’t win!

What has Jesus done now? "

Apparently he turned water into wine at the swiftly gig at Anfield and charged £15 a glass?

By *aseylee324Couple
14 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

Better than giving nothing, and it certainly highlights the appalling state of western society

By *ora the explorerWoman
14 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Usually I can see two sides to things even if I don’t agree but there’s not one part of me that can see how on earth anyone can see this as anything other than a good thing!

By *ife NinjaMan
14 weeks ago

Dunfermline

Good for her. The most embarrassing thing is in a country as wealthy as we are, having food banks in the first place

By *he love catsCouple
14 weeks ago

South Wales

It's not my kind of artist but I can't see anything negative about this lady giving her money to a good cause.

By *till gameMan
14 weeks ago

two doors down

I’m glad she is giving straight to local charities, rather that than giving to these large corporate charities who waste a hell of a lot of the money donated

By *annibal_LickedherMan
14 weeks ago

The Side of the Mersey

I’m not a Taylor swift fan but I am impressed by her donations. From what I can gather, the stuff about her donations was made public by the food banks. Not Taylor Swift.

However, who gives a shit if it’s done for good publicity, if it helps. She didn’t have to do it.

By *imi_RougeWoman
14 weeks ago

Portsmouth

A fitting end...

"

Not a fan of women it seems. What an awful thing to say.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
14 weeks ago

Glasgow

Have to admit, I was hoping for a sex tape when I saw the thread title. “Taylor gives great head” or something.

I’ll just shake it off and go back to daydreaming.

By *umalotagainMan
14 weeks ago

a town called malice

"Jesus. Can people not be nice anymore. The woman gives massive donations to every city she plays in and gets vilified. She does more than most. I think she’s fab."

Amen to that, what is wrong with society these days

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"What evil deed occurred ?

Who caused the evil ?

"

Dare I venture the cynical outlook of some who only seem to wallow in the negativity of their own outlook?

The types of people who if the thread was about Captain Tom would say ' yeah he might have raised tens of millions but he was such a slow walker '..

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

A fitting end...

"

Yikes.... I mean.....

I was gonna wrote back something witty but fuck it..

Your hoping someone is dragged into a circle of physical and emotional abuse, drug addiction and eventually an early death...

Because you don't like her music and her ego....

That's enough Internet for today I think

By *ackformore100Man
14 weeks ago

Tin town

People are strange. People in these forums say some strange things, some of which are really unnecessarily unkind. Take a look in the mirror and see how much you help the food less and home less or any charity.

I don't know much about her and nor do I need to. If she's doing good stuff and trying to help some less fortunate ones, I think that's a good thing. Why not publicise the plight of the less fortunate. Rashford did it and was given an mbe for it.

By *ansoffateMan
14 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Perhaps it's now time to have a welfare state and sensible economic distribution that's fit for purpose - instead of some archaic charity system to meet basic human needs like food?

It’s a national disgrace that we have hungry children as well as the volumes of homelessness that persists in the UK."

One due to ideological choice rather than necessity too. I agree it's a disgrace.

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

Now tbf she could drop her ticket prices too but still who gives a fuck if its ego, promo or good will the money is going in the right direction which is all to rare

By *ackformore100Man
14 weeks ago

Tin town

Who caused the evil ?

Dare I venture the cynical outlook of some who only seem to wallow in the negativity of their own outlook?

The types of people who if the thread was about Captain Tom would say ' yeah he might have raised tens of millions but he was such a slow walker '..

"

And we hate old slow walkers who raise money for the nhs, especially when they have a bit of money themselves. Maybe Taylor walks a bit faster.

By *hristopherd999Man
14 weeks ago

Brentwood

I've never understood how she became so popular, her music is at very least average

14 weeks ago

"

If Taylor Swift is giving back to the communities she is playing in, I say well done regardless of my opinion on her as an artist and/or icon. "

I’ve never listened to any of her music at all. I don’t intent to either but learning of her generosity in giving back to communities, I say well done. If more people thought of others in general, our world would be a better place. I hope her giving inspires others.

By *luehairedcumslutCouple
14 weeks ago

St Neots

Never listen to her music but from what I've seen of her, She seems a really nice girl

By *essiCouple
14 weeks ago

suffolk

"Good for her. The most embarrassing thing is in a country as wealthy as we are, having food banks in the first place "

This..

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I'm not bothered by 'indiscreet' giving. A gift is a gift. ."

It would be nice to think that is true but when you mix it with tax breaks and brand marketing it becomes more of an efficient investment.

If you really wanna be sure you’re giving for the right reasons, the right amounts, in the right ways , Motives really matter.

By *ea monkeyMan
14 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’m not sure why this is being treated cynically?

Does it matter that it’s deductible?

She’s an American artist, she doesn’t need to do anything in the cities that she’s touring in other than perform. Instead she’s decided to give back, that’s a highly laudable gesture.

There’s no pleasing some people

By *ea monkeyMan
14 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm not bothered by 'indiscreet' giving. A gift is a gift. .

It would be nice to think that is true but when you mix it with tax breaks and brand marketing it becomes more of an efficient investment.

If you really wanna be sure you’re giving for the right reasons, the right amounts, in the right ways , Motives really matter."

Like your motives with this thread, OP?

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

If you really wanna be sure you’re giving for the right reasons, the right amounts, in the right ways , Motives really matter."

Motives don't really matter to the kids who will have a meal instead of going hungry.

Also its not really her responsibility so any help she is giving is more than welcime by me personally.

She is past the point of really needing to build her brand anyway so could have just not bothered or invested this money in more AI bots for X

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Calm down calm down I didn’t say it was a bad thing I just said I wasn’t personally impressed. I don’t really care what anybody else thinks if impresses and inspires you to give more them good.

As a percentage of gross taxable revenue it’s a tiny amount, and will deliver a great return on investment for her PR and marketing team. That’s why it doesn’t impress me, People with form less give for more On a regular basis and don’t need or want any recognition.

In terms of the good it will do, it won’t make any impact whatsoever what’s the situation that leads people to use food banks, there is enough money already in the system

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

Mutually beneficial is the best kind of beneficial

By *8on33Man
14 weeks ago

winfrith

she's wealthy and she gives I think she should be applauded for that a lot of wealthy people should be applauded but the division of wealth and poor is ridiculous. Wealthy people however are the job providers of the future ,the Elon Musks and Richard Branson's of this world shape our futures.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Who caused the evil ?

And we hate old slow walkers who raise money for the nhs, especially when they have a bit of money themselves. Maybe Taylor walks a bit faster. "

I think to be fair to him the actions rightly criticised by some close to Sir Tom happened after his demise..

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If you really wanna be sure you’re giving for the right reasons, the right amounts, in the right ways , Motives really matter.

Motives don't really matter to the kids who will have a meal instead of going hungry.

Also its not really her responsibility so any help she is giving is more than welcime by me personally.

She is past the point of really needing to build her brand anyway so could have just not bothered or invested this money in more AI bots for X"

I think it is the responsibility of anyone who extracts cash from poor people and communities through things like high ticket prices or overpriced broadband to ensure they give some of it back. That’s a huge amount of GBP leaving in the UK.

Do you honestly think less children will go hungry as a result of Taylor Swifts giving ?

Maybe she should take someone like Billie Holiday as an example and risk going to prison to sing words that actually changed the world, Instead of whining on about her ex-boyfriends

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Like your motives with this thread, OP? "

No Motives forgiving or not the same as motive for posting on forum are they ? I doubt she sat there thinking I’m bored I wonder what’s happening on fab, let’s give some money to food banks

I’m just seeing all the hype & not that impressed, that’s all.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Who caused the evil ?

And we hate old slow walkers who raise money for the nhs, especially when they have a bit of money themselves. Maybe Taylor walks a bit faster.

I think to be fair to him the actions rightly criticised by some close to Sir Tom happened after his demise.."

Salty

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

14 weeks ago

East Sussex

Do they? To who?

By *affron40Woman
14 weeks ago

manchester

Nope… still don’t get your point.

She’s just an incredibly successful woman going about her business, giving back where she chooses, publicised by the people she gifts to, not by herself.

Are you saying she’s not giving enough? Or is it the fact you know about it?

Surely if she gave more privately you wouldn’t know anyway so defeats the whole concept.

In a world full of takers we need more givers. Like Taylor.

By *2000ManMan
14 weeks ago

Worthing

Not seen it anywhere op. Don't care if she uses it for publicity or not...it's still a decent gesture.

By *weetiepie99Woman
14 weeks ago

cardiff

She is past the point of really needing to build her brand anyway so could have just not bothered or invested this money in more AI bots for X

I think it is the responsibility of anyone who extracts cash from poor people and communities through things like high ticket prices or overpriced broadband to ensure they give some of it back. That’s a huge amount of GBP leaving in the UK.

Do you honestly think less children will go hungry as a result of Taylor Swifts giving ?

Maybe she should take someone like Billie Holiday as an example and risk going to prison to sing words that actually changed the world, Instead of whining on about her ex-boyfriends

"

Rubbish, extract??...she is not doing anything by force, people choose to go to her concerts or not!!

And if it makes a difference to even one less child going hungry then all is good. The only salty thing around here I think is your attitude

By *orny PTMan
14 weeks ago

Peterborough

I don't know anything about her, or her songs, but it's disgusting that we live in this country, a first world country and the risk of starvation is all too real.

Cash is cash, food is food and what she did is good.

Swifty: Well done

By *orthernJayMan
14 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

"In terms of the good it will do, it won’t make any impact whatsoever what’s the situation that leads people to use food banks, there is enough money already in the system"

With respect OP, you may well have been away from the UK longer than you realise; it’s easy to be critical when us expects take our finger off the pulse and our viewing lens changes living overseas.

It makes every impact, it feeds a child who may well go hungry, it’s that simple! Saying it has no impact whatsoever is disingenuous at best.

As for “enough money in the system”, I wouldn’t argue otherwise given the level of UK taxation; that said, it certainly doesn’t go anywhere near far enough otherwise we wouldn’t have hungry people demeaning themselves at food banks to make ends meet.

By *emorefridaCouple
14 weeks ago

La la land

I don't think anyone who is struggling to put food on the table, cares one bit what Taylor's motives for giving the money are. There are kids who are now not going to bed hungry, that is all that is important.

People who argue these things seriously don't understand the impact of poverty.

By *orthernJayMan
14 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

"I don't think anyone who is struggling to put food on the table, cares one bit what Taylor's motives for giving the money are. There are kids who are now not going to bed hungry, that is all that is important.

People who argue these things seriously don't understand the impact of poverty. "

^^^ this ^^^

By *aughtyfun_121Man
14 weeks ago

Bradford

All things considered, she didn't have to give anything. Publicity stunt? So what? Feeding her ego? So what?

Whatever the reasons, money honestly earned has been gifted to those who do not have the means to feed themselves. Not our place to sit in judgement on the givers or receivers of charity.

I say good for her, or her publicist, or whoever it came from but mostly I say good for those who have a meal today as a result.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

14 weeks ago

East Sussex

"All things considered, she didn't have to give anything. Publicity stunt? So what? Feeding her ego? So what?

Whatever the reasons, money honestly earned has been gifted to those who do not have the means to feed themselves. Not our place to sit in judgement on the givers or receivers of charity.

I say good for her, or her publicist, or whoever it came from but mostly I say good for those who have a meal today as a result. "

I only know about it because one of the people who worked at the food bank in Liverpool was on telly talking about it. I haven't seen or heard Taylor Swift or anyone to do with her mention it.

By *eal2000Man
14 weeks ago

somewhere only I know

I don't have a opinion either way, I just want the sun to shine

By *otsossieMan
14 weeks ago

Chesterfield

Yep. At least she’s not sticking it up her nose.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

14 weeks ago

East Sussex

"I don't have a opinion either way, I just want the sun to shine "

You know it's Taylor's fault it's not don't you...

By *glyBettyTV/TS
14 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

I was going to say it looks performative, but she actually has a long history of doing things like this going back nearly a decade. After that amount of time I think you just have to take your hat off and say fair play to her...

By *ackformore100Man
14 weeks ago

Tin town

Who caused the evil ?

I think to be fair to him the actions rightly criticised by some close to Sir Tom happened after his demise.."

Sadly in the criticism levelled at those around him, the ability to understand the distinction between old man doing good things and executors abusing the brand get easily blurred in those able only to digest 128 bytes at a time.

By *ackformore100Man
14 weeks ago

Tin town

"I don't know anything about her, or her songs, but it's disgusting that we live in this country, a first world country and the risk of starvation is all too real.

"

There's your mistake. This country is not a first world country any more.

By *arry monk40Man
14 weeks ago

Telford

Can you now post op how much the last government gave to food banks or the billionaire former short minister

By *issmorganWoman
14 weeks ago

Calderdale innit

I think fair play to her,

There's far too much misery in the world & if she wants to try to make things a bit better, whats wrong in that.

By *eliusMan
14 weeks ago

Henlow

She does do it discreetly the news was leaked.

By *orny PTMan
14 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I don't know anything about her, or her songs, but it's disgusting that we live in this country, a first world country and the risk of starvation is all too real.

There's your mistake. This country is not a first world country any more. "

my bad

By *hesblokeMan
14 weeks ago

Derbyshire village

Good for her, and good for the folks that get it - would it be better if she went all Scrooge McDuck with it?

Who cares where the money comes from (apart from, like, horrible places such as World Cup bungs or oil money and the like)?

I hope it's great marketing for her, I hope she does get a tax benefit and I wish some other mega rich, who probably needs a boost to their public image, do the same.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
14 weeks ago

North West

" She’s just an incredibly successful woman "

I wonder if this bit is the problem for some people? I can't recall similar questioning of male celebrities who do charitable things. Maybe I'm just really, really cynical??

By *ackformore100Man
14 weeks ago

Tin town

" She’s just an incredibly successful woman

I wonder if this bit is the problem for some people? I can't recall similar questioning of male celebrities who do charitable things. Maybe I'm just really, really cynical?? "

Yes you are. And in some cases you may be right. In this case I'm not so sure. She's a phenomenon. I think what seems to irk some is the success from something trivial like social media and performance. Much like one direction a decade before. She puts smiles on lots of people's faces. And makes lots of money for so doing.

I am, yet what I am none cares nor knows.

By *cottish guy 555Man
14 weeks ago

London

Actually I hadn't heard this. Sounds very commendable.

Post new Message to Thread