Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Car drivers

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Tin town

This morning I've seen this horrific story. Basically, girl, been drinking, speeding, kills two people and gets only 11 years?

Why do we continue to treat car drivers who cause death so leniently?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68743394

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mmaleiaWoman
26 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

11 is is ‘good’ they mostly get 3-5 with a driving ban round these parts, which is laughable

By (user no longer on site)
26 weeks ago

I guess because it would be classed as manslaughter not murder?

By *ealMissShadyWoman
26 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"This morning I've seen this horrific story. Basically, girl, been drinking, speeding, kills two people and gets only 11 years?

Why do we continue to treat car drivers who cause death so leniently?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68743394

"

It disgusts me

There was an accident near me recently, a speeding driver lost control and crashed into a lady walking her dog. Her dog killed instantly and the lady has had to have her leg amputed with talk of having to amputate the other. The lady was a runner and was due to run the London Marathon after waiting years to participate

Tha driver of the car got bailed after initially being arrested. I know I just could not live with myself if I caused so much pain and hurt to another and their family

No sentence for causing death or life changing injury is lenient enough IMHO

By *ellinever70Woman
26 weeks ago

Ayrshire

I don't think an 11 year sentence is lenient

26 weeks ago

"I don't think an 11 year sentence is lenient"

I am usually disgusted by how many people get away with so much, but.. yeh, I was thinking this. The two women she killed were in her car, standing up and dancing in their seats. The driver was responsible for their safety still, and it's right she was punished.

I read this as the judge making an example of her tbh.

By *arla SwingerWoman
26 weeks ago

Somewhere

11yrs seems a fair sentence. Her friends were obviously happy to get in the car knowing she'd been drinking, was speeding, and were twerking in the back with no seat belts on. Presumably they didn't think the outcome would be their deaths. But no common sense or responsibility was taken by them leading up to it either.

By *ools and the brainCouple
26 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

People continue to get away with horrendous dangerous driving these days, let's face it because they can.

Very limited police presence on the roads other than speed traps and motorways you rarely see car's just patrolling regularly so people pretty much do whatever they like unless the incident is caught on camera and they get fined.

The next government should get the police out from behind their desks bogging them down with uneeded red tape and back out patrolling the roads and streets to make it safer for everyone.

Red light jumpers and drug driving is the biggest issue in my humble opinion

By *a LunaWoman
26 weeks ago

South

"I don't think an 11 year sentence is lenient "

This. Especially these days.

Which is a sad reflection on our legal system really.

26 weeks ago

The problem is that holding drivers to account for their actions, or in any way restricting them, is incredibly unpopular. The guy that keeps destroying the local speed camera is considered a folk hero, as an example. People consider driving a right that must not be taken from them, and not a privilege that comes with associated responsibilities.

But the police/courts have been getting harsher on sentencing when they do have evidence, at least here in Birmingham. I know of a few cases where friends have caught bad driving on cameras and the drivers have gotten 6 points, at one point a short prison sentence.

I think the tide is turning on this.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

Horrible . I always said that d*unk drivers get away with murder.

If you drive a car d*unk it's premeditated in my opinion

26 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Horrible . I always said that d*unk drivers get away with murder.

If you drive a car d*unk it's premeditated in my opinion "

Agreed and should get an automatic minimum 15 year sentence no excuses and a minimum of 15 not out on parole after 7 and loss of licence for life.

By *arla SwingerWoman
26 weeks ago

Somewhere

Agreed and should get an automatic minimum 15 year sentence no excuses and a minimum of 15 not out on parole after 7 and loss of licence for life."

How would you qualify that though? 15yrs for being just over the limit? Then raising the sentence depending on by how much? I don't think the fact that there a legal limit exists at all helps. Most people misjudge how much alcohol that actually looks like, and how long it takes individual bodies to process it. Loads of folk on the roads the next morning after a good drinking session too, who are probably over the limit.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

26 weeks ago

East Sussex

If we're driving we just don't drink anything alcoholic.

By *roadShoulderzMan
26 weeks ago

Petersfield

"The problem is that holding drivers to account for their actions, or in any way restricting them, is incredibly unpopular. The guy that keeps destroying the local speed camera is considered a folk hero, as an example. People consider driving a right that must not be taken from them, and not a privilege that comes with associated responsibilities.

But the police/courts have been getting harsher on sentencing when they do have evidence, at least here in Birmingham. I know of a few cases where friends have caught bad driving on cameras and the drivers have gotten 6 points, at one point a short prison sentence.

I think the tide is turning on this."

Very well said in my opinion. I live in a town centre about 3 minutes walk to the High Street. I see speeding cars and inconsiderate driving all the time.

But our Prime Minister has repeatedly backed motorists and labelled the Opposition as "anti-car" thus politicising the issue and dividing society.

My 5 year old cousin was killed by a car. 70 years later both his parents died from natural causes but they never ever overcame their grief.

We could do a lot more with cameras, drones etc. And hopefully you are right that the tide is turning.

26 weeks ago

They need to make the test much, much harder.

We currently have a test idiots can pass easily.

They don’t even make them do reverse round corner, 3 point turn and parallel park these days. You only have to do one of those not all three.

This opened the gates to truly shit drivers who have no spacial reasoning and situational awareness.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
26 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"If we're driving we just don't drink anything alcoholic. "

Me neither, every time you go over a bump you just end up spilling it in your lap.

By *inkygentkentMan
26 weeks ago

Maidstone

The main issue is that there is a growing breed of drivers who treat being in charge of a car as secondary importance to keeping up with social media. I even saw a driving instructor doing that the other day and he was driving

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
26 weeks ago

Tin town

Agreed and should get an automatic minimum 15 year sentence no excuses and a minimum of 15 not out on parole after 7 and loss of licence for life.

How would you qualify that though? 15yrs for being just over the limit? Then raising the sentence depending on by how much? I don't think the fact that there a legal limit exists at all helps. Most people misjudge how much alcohol that actually looks like, and how long it takes individual bodies to process it. Loads of folk on the roads the next morning after a good drinking session too, who are probably over the limit. "

Thing is. It's a max limit. Not a target. Lots of countries now have zero alcohol. For a reason.

By *dam1971Man
26 weeks ago

Bedford

"They need to make the test much, much harder.

We currently have a test idiots can pass easily.

They don’t even make them do reverse round corner, 3 point turn and parallel park these days. You only have to do one of those not all three.

This opened the gates to truly shit drivers who have no spacial reasoning and situational awareness. "

Agreed, but there’s also a problem with attitude. Some people become irrational and aggressive, and that’s not something which shows up on a test.

26 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Driving a care is seen as an entitlement rather than something that should be earned.

Entitled society

26 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

You only have to see drivers aggressive attitude towards cyclists to see how bad things are, stand at any set of traffic lights for 5/10 mins guarantee you will see at least half a dozen people jumping the red light.

What happened to cameras on traffic lights flashing people jumping the lights??

Let me guess anti establishment campaigners got them removed???

By *inky_couple2020Couple
26 weeks ago

North West

"If we're driving we just don't drink anything alcoholic. "

Exactly. It's not a difficult decision then, is it?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
26 weeks ago

North West

"The problem is that holding drivers to account for their actions, or in any way restricting them, is incredibly unpopular. The guy that keeps destroying the local speed camera is considered a folk hero, as an example. People consider driving a right that must not be taken from them, and not a privilege that comes with associated responsibilities.

I think the tide is turning on this.

Very well said in my opinion. I live in a town centre about 3 minutes walk to the High Street. I see speeding cars and inconsiderate driving all the time.

But our Prime Minister has repeatedly backed motorists and labelled the Opposition as "anti-car" thus politicising the issue and dividing society.

My 5 year old cousin was killed by a car. 70 years later both his parents died from natural causes but they never ever overcame their grief.

We could do a lot more with cameras, drones etc. And hopefully you are right that the tide is turning."

My Aunt was killed by a drink driver, age 16, whilst crossing the road outside her college. She was on her lunch break. It happened before I was born, in the late 70s. My Grandparents never, ever got over it and Grandad talked about her right up until the very last. I don't know that the driver was ever caught.

By *asycouple1971Couple
26 weeks ago

midlands

No amount of time is right. She will live with the fact she killed 2 people for the rest of her life

26 weeks ago

Americans get charged with vehicular murder and get a minimum of 15 years, I’m all for that and anyone that kills due to drink driving should be banned from driving for life

I work for an emergency service and lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it

By *issmorganWoman
26 weeks ago

Calderdale innit

I've just had a read and she asked bystanders not to call an ambulance because she'd get arrested

26 weeks ago

"I've just had a read and she asked bystanders not to call an ambulance because she'd get arrested "

Yeh, pretty reprehensible. The police should have the resources to stop people like this before such a tragedy. Probably wasn't the first time she was being an ass while driving. I see this sort of thing on the road far more often than I should.

26 weeks ago

Additionally, I will note that you can report dangerous driving, and if you have sufficient evidence they will prosecute based on it. Get yourself a dash cam and find your local force's page for uploading evidence.

Shouldn't be down to us, but it's something you can do

By *ealMissShadyWoman
26 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"I've just had a read and she asked bystanders not to call an ambulance because she'd get arrested

Yeh, pretty reprehensible. The police should have the resources to stop people like this before such a tragedy. Probably wasn't the first time she was being an ass while driving. I see this sort of thing on the road far more often than I should."

People should have the good common sense and intelligence to not drive under the influence in the first place....

Post new Message to Thread