Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

No Tv license!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve been in a house for a week… I’ve been threatened with court action!

So I declared I don’t need a licence if I don’t watch live TV

Who else has gone down this route, and do you get any grief?

Do you think you pay for one BC and don’t really need one?

I always paid it in the past but noticed I don’t actually watch live TV

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Fuck the BBC! (Not BBC R1X though! )

Haven’t paid it for years and this year I haven’t even declared I don’t need one, I look forward to a visit from them

D.

By *aximum_funMan
over a year ago

West Herts

I went the route of declaring I don't need one when I moved in here, it's been 6 months, haven't missed the BBC at all.

over a year ago

"Fuck the BBC! (Not BBC R1X though! )

Haven’t paid it for years and this year I haven’t even declared I don’t need one, I look forward to a visit from them

D."

Seriously, how can they ever police it? Haha

Them - Are you going to watch it in the future??…

Me - Er…no!

Them -Okay. Bye!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Isn’t it something to do with any streaming platform too?

By *illo001Man
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

What is the law on this ?

I pay mine but hardly ever watch it.

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

"Fuck the BBC! (Not BBC R1X though! )

D.

Seriously, how can they ever police it? Haha

Them - Are you going to watch it in the future??…

Me - Er…no!

Them -Okay. Bye! "

It’s so old fashioned! Like they still control TV signals! (I’m guessing they must have at some point )

D.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

We haven't had one for years as we don't watch live TV. We used to get lots of warning letters and their "we know that you know that we know' letters! We bought a license for the world cup then cancelled it the next month, in order to cancel you have to declare you don't watch live TV and have had no bother since. It's a good saving but it was more a principle thing as we didn't want our money paying the ludicrous salaries of their presenters.

By *aximum_funMan
over a year ago

West Herts

"What is the law on this ?

I pay mine but hardly ever watch it."

If you watch the BBC, and/or live TV on any platform, you need a licence, so that's any sport on prime, bt, etc., as well as anything through your aerial and anything on iPlayer.

If you're happy to do none of those things, you can fill in a declaration and then you don't need a licence

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

They are really crap at investigating, they’ve been investigating me for 10 years.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I’ve been in a house for a week… I’ve been threatened with court action!

I always paid it in the past but noticed I don’t actually watch live TV "

Dont you need it if you watch anything on iplayer?

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

Anyone who can not afford £12 a month has bigger problems than not being able to watch telly

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I have never paid for a TV license. I don't watch TV.

over a year ago

Never had one never will fuck um

By *issalignedTV/TS
over a year ago

London

By *eyeYCouple
over a year ago

Nr Leicester

"Anyone who can not afford £12 a month has bigger problems than not being able to watch telly "

Utterly correct.. However, do you pay a mortgage or energy bills..

By *asyloversCouple
over a year ago

leicester

"Anyone who can not afford £12 a month has bigger problems than not being able to watch telly

"

Yes this ^ and the other above ^

We pay an unfortunately ever increasing amount, mainly by working more hours but obviously if we couldn’t afford £12 a month we’d be quite worried but have more pressing concerns.

over a year ago

I went down the declaring I only stream and have had no issues while I am on virgin TV

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

My daughter hasn't had a television licence for years, because they don't watch live television.

Someone called once and she explained and they leave her alone now.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Anyone who can not afford £12 a month has bigger problems than not being able to watch telly

Yes this ^ and the other above ^

We pay an unfortunately ever increasing amount, mainly by working more hours but obviously if we couldn’t afford £12 a month we’d be quite worried but have more pressing concerns."

Would you give me £12 a month for not doing anything for you?

over a year ago

I haven’t paid/had need of a licence for 15+ years, when I lived in East London the same chap would come every 6 months to check I wasn’t using the service, he got a cup of tea and homemade cake each time

over a year ago

I don’t bother with a tv licence haven’t for years,

Why pay for a terrible service and biased opinions of a biased organisation,

over a year ago

I ignore all threatening letters from them. They have to catch you watching live tv or you admit you watch live tv to do anything.

There's loads of videos on YouTube you'd benefit from watching on how to avoid this bullying tax that doesn't need to be paid.

over a year ago

"Anyone who can not afford £12 a month has bigger problems than not being able to watch telly "

Well, I’m cheap! What can I say.

over a year ago

Just pay it, there will be lots of old souls out there happy that you did because if you pay yours, theirs won’t be as expensive, and for some that’s all they have, rebelling against the bbc is like farting outside, it doesn’t matter and you don’t have to tell anyone you did it, yes I’m aware that over 75 don’t pay but out there is a lot of lonely people and television is all they have

over a year ago

Dont you need it if you watch anything on iplayer? "

Yes.

Take away BBC … and don’t watch anything Live in anything. And you don’t need Licence.

But if you watch anything from the BBC, you do.

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

"

"

Probably the same kind of person who spend £3 d day on a Starbucks coffee,not realising over 5 day working week that's £15 , or a working month ,£60

On coffee a small coffee.

As I say ,if you can't afford a passive £12 , there's things in life that you need to change.

Nothing is given to you ,you reap what you sew.

over a year ago

"Just pay it, there will be lots of old souls out there happy that you did because if you pay yours, theirs won’t be as expensive, and for some that’s all they have, rebelling against the bbc is like farting outside, it doesn’t matter and you don’t have to tell anyone you did it, yes I’m aware that over 75 don’t pay but out there is a lot of lonely people and television is all they have "

Or get rid of it altogether.

over a year ago

"

Probably the same kind of person who spend £3 d day on a Starbucks coffee,not realising over 5 day working week that's £15 , or a working month ,£60

As I say ,if you can't afford a passive £12 , there's things in life that you need to change.

Nothing is given to you ,you reap what you sew. "

They might like coffee. Some people don’t watch TV.

over a year ago

"

Nothing is given to you ,you reap what you sew. "

But I enjoy coffee, I don’t enjoy the BBC, it’s not about wether you can afford it or not, it’s a choice.

over a year ago

I thought BBC licence fee also paid for local TV and national and local radio so when all things considered I think it's good value.

I don't subscribe to anything else so maybe in comparison it isn't.

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

"

But I enjoy coffee, I don’t enjoy the BBC, it’s not about wether you can afford it or not, it’s a choice. "

You do realise a TV licence is literally nothing to do with BBC?

It helps fund it because it's part of the government's media ,but a TV license is to watch ANY lIVE TV ,doesn't matter if it's channel 3 ,or sky sports.

It's why is called a TV license.

Not a BBC license

over a year ago

Hi, the law states that any device where you can watch/stream audio visual then a television licence is required. So, if you have just a mobile phone and nothing else, you still require a license. They way it works to "trace" you ate that your details are put onto a database then cross-referenced with that of the TV licence database and if one is not registered at the address then an automated correspondence is issued. The fly in the ointment is,they don't have the manpower or resources to take everyone to court so my advice is, if you get a letter, pop it into the bin and DO NOT contact them to say " I don't watch BBC" etc.. as they WILL investigate you as you've made them aware of your status!. I hope this helps you.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Just pay. You really want to live in a world where your news is brought to you by GB News?

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

The licence fee is small when you see how much people are paying for Sky

By *aximum_funMan
over a year ago

West Herts

"I haven’t paid/had need of a licence for 15+ years, when I lived in East London the same chap would come every 6 months to check I wasn’t using the service, he got a cup of tea and homemade cake each time "

This sounds great, I'd come and check as well if there was tea and cake involved!

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

"

Certainly, where clothes are concerned, 'What you rip you must sew'!

By *ames_dieselMan
over a year ago

London

"I haven’t paid/had need of a licence for 15+ years, when I lived in East London the same chap would come every 6 months to check I wasn’t using the service, he got a cup of tea and homemade cake each time "

Nice work if you can get it!!

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

Haven’t had a tv license for years, we’ve declared we don’t need one but they don’t believe us because they keep sending us threatening letters & “enforcement officers” to our home. They get ignored. The onus is on them to prove we watch live tv & the only way they can do that is by entering your home which isn’t gonna happen because we’re not letting them in.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

That seems a little excessive to send a threatening letter after only a week. Was it addressed to you or to the occupier? Maybe the last person who lived there didn't have one either.

Anyway, no, I've always had a TV licence. I have no issues paying for it. And it's definitely worth it for us, considering how much the kids watch cbeebies.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

I actually had a girlfriend who had them turn up out of the blue one day, she got away without getting a fine because had no TV airial or BBC app on any of her tv's.

Take the risk if you like but if you got a airial or watch iplayer then eventually you will end up paying a lot more

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

It's not about affording it.

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

"The licence fee is small when you see how much people are paying for Sky "

But Sky have a different remit so provide more entertaining TV plus pay huge money to get rights to major sport which you cannot get on BBC unless its Wimbledon for the middle & Upper classes.

The BBC only want Wimbledon or Cricket, any Chav sport is of no interest.

By *illy71Couple
over a year ago

Staines

"Just pay it, there will be lots of old souls out there happy that you did because if you pay yours, theirs won’t be as expensive, and for some that’s all they have, rebelling against the bbc is like farting outside, it doesn’t matter and you don’t have to tell anyone you did it, yes I’m aware that over 75 don’t pay but out there is a lot of lonely people and television is all they have "

If they had sacked that overpaid gobshite Lineker when they had the chance would be a darn sightt cheaper.

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Its £12, I dont even notice it and we watch BBC iplayer everday and other things on the BBC so really not fussed.

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

"That seems a little excessive to send a threatening letter after only a week. Was it addressed to you or to the occupier? Maybe the last person who lived there didn't have one either.

Anyway, no, I've always had a TV licence. I have no issues paying for it. And it's definitely worth it for us, considering how much the kids watch cbeebies. "

Just to let you know, you can still watch tv without a license

By *innocentMan
over a year ago

Littlehampton

"The licence fee is small when you see how much people are paying for Sky

But Sky have a different remit so provide more entertaining TV plus pay huge money to get rights to major sport which you cannot get on BBC unless its Wimbledon for the middle & Upper classes.

The BBC only want Wimbledon or Cricket, any Chav sport is of no interest. "

If you watch TV on ANY channel via ANY TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you watch ANY live broadcasts on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), you need a license.

What is so difficult to understand about A telly license is NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BBC, it just helps toward funding it,like you help toward getting your bins taken away when you pay council tax.

Sigh.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"That seems a little excessive to send a threatening letter after only a week. Was it addressed to you or to the occupier? Maybe the last person who lived there didn't have one either.

Anyway, no, I've always had a TV licence. I have no issues paying for it. And it's definitely worth it for us, considering how much the kids watch cbeebies.

Just to let you know, you can still watch tv without a license "

But why would I? Why shouldn't I contribute to the makers and buyers of amazing, educational programs? I don't expect them to make Bluey or The Octonauts for free

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

My parents live on a council estate and love tennis

By *trawberry shortcake 9999Woman
over a year ago

I've not had a TV licence for years, like you I had always had one then I realised I just didn't need one...

I did declare I didn't need one as the constent warning letters would drive me nuts

over a year ago

I pay for it because I see it as being just another subscription service. I almost never watch live shows but I use iPlayer occasionally, perhaps more often than the other subscriptions.

M

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

Just to let you know, you can still watch tv without a license

But why would I? Why shouldn't I contribute to the makers and buyers of amazing, educational programs? I don't expect them to make Bluey or The Octonauts for free"

Each to there own but I don’t wanna support an organisation that turns a blind eye to the likes of Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall, Jonathan King, Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter & god knows how many other scum.

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

If you watch TV on ANY channel via ANY TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you watch ANY live broadcasts on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), you need a license.

What is so difficult to understand about A telly license is NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BBC, it just helps toward funding it,like you help toward getting your bins taken away when you pay council tax.

Sigh. "

But how are they gonna find out I’m watching live tv?

By *weet and SpiceCouple
over a year ago

Around the Midlands

Hi, the law states that any device where you can watch/stream audio visual then a television licence is required. So, if you have just a mobile phone and nothing else, you still require a license. They way it works to "trace" you ate that your details are put onto a database then cross-referenced with that of the TV licence database and if one is not registered at the address then an automated correspondence is issued. The fly in the ointment is,they don't have the manpower or resources to take everyone to court so my advice is, if you get a letter, pop it into the bin and DO NOT contact them to say " I don't watch BBC" etc.. as they WILL investigate you as you've made them aware of your status!. I hope this helps you."

Always paid and wouldn't dream of cancelling as I'd probably be the one they enforce against the moment I do!!! Prefer peace of mind for £12 per month

over a year ago

"

But I enjoy coffee, I don’t enjoy the BBC, it’s not about wether you can afford it or not, it’s a choice.

It helps fund it because it's part of the government's media ,but a TV license is to watch ANY lIVE TV ,doesn't matter if it's channel 3 ,or sky sports.

Not a BBC license "

But I still don’t watch live to so I’ll still carry on as I am thank you…

And like I said it’s not about £12 it’s about it happy spending my money on things I choose to accept.

By *adCherriesCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Hi, the law states that any device where you can watch/stream audio visual then a television licence is required. So, if you have just a mobile phone and nothing else, you still require a license. They way it works to "trace" you ate that your details are put onto a database then cross-referenced with that of the TV licence database and if one is not registered at the address then an automated correspondence is issued. The fly in the ointment is,they don't have the manpower or resources to take everyone to court so my advice is, if you get a letter, pop it into the bin and DO NOT contact them to say " I don't watch BBC" etc.. as they WILL investigate you as you've made them aware of your status!. I hope this helps you.

Always paid and wouldn't dream of cancelling as I'd probably be the one they enforce against the moment I do!!! Prefer peace of mind for £12 per month "

According to google you wouldn't be the only one

'data shows nearly 2,000 people prosecuted every week for failing to pay. BBC TV licence evasion is on the rise as new figures reveal nearly 2,000 people are convicted for the crime each week in England and Wales.'

over a year ago

If you watch ***ANY LIVE*** TV on ANY channel via ANY TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you watch ANY live broadcasts on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), you need a license.

Sigh. "

FIFY.

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"

Not a BBC license "

Its Licence

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

We mortals over the age of 75 no longer get a free license, I happily pay the £13.25 per month for advert free TV.

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Even if it were 50 pence a month I wouldn’t pay it. It’s getting scrapped in 2027 anyways I think. Lost count of the threatening letters I’ve received they never come to anything I think I’ve had one visit while I was at work. The letters follow the same pattern you get final demand stating you have x amount of days then if you ignore that they go back to the start

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Haven’t had a tv license for years, we’ve declared we don’t need one but they don’t believe us because they keep sending us threatening letters & “enforcement officers” to our home. They get ignored. The onus is on them to prove we watch live tv & the only way they can do that is by entering your home which isn’t gonna happen because we’re not letting them in. "

Same here but I go one better. I don't watch any TV, live or dead. Had no telly since UHF analogue switched off. Wouldn't even know how to use a smart TV.Largest of 6 monitors around the house is 70cm diagonal, plus several laptops.

No need for broadband as I don't stream anything or watch films. Don't have enough spare time to do most of the things I already want or need to do.

Very occasionally listen to news via LBC radio. Otherwise I glean enough information about current affairs via conversation with friends or from threads on this forum.

I worked out long ago that the entire entertainment industry exists mainly for the benefit of those who work in it. The BBC and so called 'TV Licensing' are no exception.

Other than ignoring what is usually always on as wallpaper in friends' homes, the last telly watched was bits of the Queen's funeral at Eureka, where the management very kindly laid on a special party with an enormous, by my standards, screen. Even then, I was outside most of the time and only looked at a couple of significant sequences.

I still pay my Eureka licence. No discount there for over 75, either!

over a year ago

I declared to them i dont need one as i only watch dvd's or listen to music..i still get bombarded with their threatening letters..it must cost them a fortune..they can crack on.

over a year ago

Don’t own a license, have 2 TVs. Stated I don’t use them for receiving a live signal, but for streaming services. Never had an issue in 4 years.

By *erlins5Man
over a year ago

South Fife

I told them I didn't need a licence years ago. Never had and hassle. I don't watch TV any way. Even if they want to check your tv connection you don't have to let them into the house. Not sure if they can tell your viewing habits via internet nowadays though.

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
over a year ago

Markfield

Same here, stopped mine during first lockdown, feels good to be freed from the tv tax

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I declared to them i dont need one as i only watch dvd's or listen to music..i still get bombarded with their threatening letters..it must cost them a fortune..they can crack on."

They would appear to be totally hollow threats, nowadays. In the past, there was evidence of investigators coming to premises but I have never been visited.

All this tosh about 'Will you be in on such and such a date' is a joke. Waste of paper and postage.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Haven’t had a tv license for years, we’ve declared we don’t need one but they don’t believe us because they keep sending us threatening letters & “enforcement officers” to our home. They get ignored. The onus is on them to prove we watch live tv & the only way they can do that is by entering your home which isn’t gonna happen because we’re not letting them in.

Same here but I go one better. I don't watch any TV, live or dead. Had no telly since UHF analogue switched off. Wouldn't even know how to use a smart TV.Largest of 6 monitors around the house is 70cm diagonal, plus several laptops.

No need for broadband as I don't stream anything or watch films. Don't have enough spare time to do most of the things I already want or need to do.

Very occasionally listen to news via LBC radio. Otherwise I glean enough information about current affairs via conversation with friends or from threads on this forum.

I worked out long ago that the entire entertainment industry exists mainly for the benefit of those who work in it. The BBC and so called 'TV Licensing' are no exception.

Other than ignoring what is usually always on as wallpaper in friends' homes, the last telly watched was bits of the Queen's funeral at Eureka, where the management very kindly laid on a special party with an enormous, by my standards, screen. Even then, I was outside most of the time and only looked at a couple of significant sequences.

I still pay my Eureka licence. No discount there for over 75, either!"

"I worked out long ago that the entire entertainment industry exists mainly for the benefit of those who work in it. The BBC and so called 'TV Licensing' are no exception."

I love that. Coin drop moment

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It's a bit like asking for legal advice on Facebook...

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Its the principle plus BBC programming is crap can't think of anything i watch thats related to the BBC

over a year ago

I’ve not had one for 10 yrs plus

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"Haven’t had a tv license for years, we’ve declared we don’t need one but they don’t believe us because they keep sending us threatening letters & “enforcement officers” to our home. They get ignored. The onus is on them to prove we watch live tv & the only way they can do that is by entering your home which isn’t gonna happen because we’re not letting them in.

I still pay my Eureka licence. No discount there for over 75, either!

"I worked out long ago that the entire entertainment industry exists mainly for the benefit of those who work in it. The BBC and so called 'TV Licensing' are no exception."

I love that. Coin drop moment "

All business exists 'mainly for the benefit of those who work in it' this is the nature of the economy we live in. Supermarkets don't exist to supply you with food etc. They exist to make profit for the owners.

B

By *pear2000Man
over a year ago

Harrow

Lol brilliant. I'm on year 19 now. Lost count of the threatening and court letters. All they do is send that, nothing happens.

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I only have a firestick, and don't watch live tv, so I did exactly that, I've been threatened with a visit from an enforcement officer, wankers

By *r Rubba LoverMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I don't even owb a TV

Xbox and. DLP projector

All you need.

They get freaked out when they can't find one too. Hilarious

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

There used to be live mens league football, rugby and cricket on the BBC, available to all, until Sky outbid them for the rights. This forced people who want to watch it to pay the subscription, taking the opportunity away from those who can't or won't.

B

over a year ago

"I declared to them i dont need one as i only watch dvd's or listen to music..i still get bombarded with their threatening letters..it must cost them a fortune..they can crack on.

They would appear to be totally hollow threats, nowadays. In the past, there was evidence of investigators coming to premises but I have never been visited.

All this tosh about 'Will you be in on such and such a date' is a joke. Waste of paper and postage."

Exactly..the way its all worded is to scare you into buying a licence..a lot of older folk would fall for it..ive tried to persuade my 82 year old neighbour to cancel hers but she wont rebel haha

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

You declare you don't need one. Then you have to send in another form then you get nothing for 2 years when you will need to send that form in again.

By *ussymufferMan
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

The BBC advertise all the time when they say a company name that sponsor football horse racing rugby.

In football they talk to a player or manager who is standing in front of a background with lots of advertising on it.

If BBC was doing it's no advertising they should not be showing the sponsors or betting companys

over a year ago

I pay mine - i watch Netflix mainly, amazon prime, record mainstream channels

From the TV licensing site - you need a TV license if you:

Watch or record TV on any channel on any TV service (like Sky, Virgin Media and Freeview).

Watch live on streaming services (like ITVX, All 4, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video).

Use BBC iPlayer*

You don't need one if you are not watching, streaming or recording TV in any of the above ways – or your property is empty.

*A licence is not needed to watch S4C programmes on demand

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Not sure if this has been said already..

If you watch any tv programme on any channel that was broadcast as part of a live schedule, you need a TV license, even if you watch it on catchup.

A platform such as Netflix that does not have schedules meaning you can watch anything whenever you like, do not need a license.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I think you're missing the point - if you don't watch live TV you don't need it. It's not about being unable to afford it, it's about not paying for something you don't want.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Not sure if this has been said already..

If you watch any tv programme on any channel that was broadcast as part of a live schedule, you need a TV license, even if you watch it on catchup.

A platform such as Netflix that does not have schedules meaning you can watch anything whenever you like, do not need a license. "

Nope, you can watch on catchup with the exception of Iplayer.

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

At only £13/month, it's really not a big deal. I probably spend that much on lunch and coffee at work per week!

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I pay mine - i watch Netflix mainly, amazon prime, record mainstream channels

From the TV licensing site - you need a TV license if you:

Watch or record TV on any channel on any TV service (like Sky, Virgin Media and Freeview).

Watch live on streaming services (like ITVX, All 4, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video).

Use BBC iPlayer*

You don't need one if you are not watching, streaming or recording TV in any of the above ways – or your property is empty.

*A licence is not needed to watch S4C programmes on demand"

thank you for clarifying that for us midnight

By *elboy1957Man
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

The law states they have to prove your guilt, you don't have to prove your innocent. So how do they prove your guilt if you say nothing?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"At only £13/month, it's really not a big deal. I probably spend that much on lunch and coffee at work per week!

"

This

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

A platform such as Netflix that does not have schedules meaning you can watch anything whenever you like, do not need a license.

Nope, you can watch on catchup with the exception of Iplayer."

I just fact checked myself, and you are right!

over a year ago

"You declare you don't need one. Then you have to send in another form then you get nothing for 2 years when you will need to send that form in again. "

I did all that but they still bombard me with their letters..im saving them up for when i get my log burner in haha

By *ayHaychMan
over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

Plenty of youtube videos making clear what your rights are and what the TV license people are allowed / not allowed to do.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I haven't paid it in years, they send letters, I just bin them.

You're a fool if you part with your money to fund the Beeb.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"You declare you don't need one. Then you have to send in another form then you get nothing for 2 years when you will need to send that form in again.

I did all that but they still bombard me with their letters..im saving them up for when i get my log burner in haha"

I post them all back to them (the box is only a few houses away) marked 'Unsolicited nuisance mail - Return to DL98 1AT'.

Even if you join the Mailing Preference Scheme, it is lawful to get sent stuff addressed to 'The Occupier', a loophole which I am sure was created especially for them.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I haven't paid it in years, they send letters, I just bin them.

You're a fool if you part with your money to fund the Beeb."

The 2000 people convicted this week and every week for not having a TV licence were all fools then.

By *espacito56Man
over a year ago

Orkney

Spot on lad

By *otty BikerMan
over a year ago

Warrington

Winge winge, moan moan about paying a tv licence for ad free TV, rather than 5 mins ads 5 mins TV on £100/ month sky, and yet same peeps will happily pay near 5 quid for a pint, or magazine, or a McDs.

Get a grip !

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

[Removed by poster at 20/05/23 11:32:26]

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I pay my licence fee. I just purchase (ever-so-slightly) less coffee to offset the cost. It's all lovely really.

By *ommyGun1Man
over a year ago

benfleet

Thought it was to do with the radio and stuff too. If you have access to bbc like in your car for example you had to pay for it

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

"Thought it was to do with the radio and stuff too. If you have access to bbc like in your car for example you had to pay for it "

Radio is different, they try to license it but they couldn’t police it so it was scrapped.

over a year ago

Nope we use iptv service with more channels than sky for £50 a year

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Winge winge, moan moan about paying a tv licence for ad free TV, rather than 5 mins ads 5 mins TV on £100/ month sky, and yet same peeps will happily pay near 5 quid for a pint, or magazine, or a McDs.

Get a grip !"

It is in big business and the establishment's interest that people watch TV.

They should be paying people to watch, not the other way round.

Mugs, the lot of you!

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
over a year ago

Markfield

"I pay my licence fee. I just purchase (ever-so-slightly) less coffee to offset the cost. It's all lovely really. "

Would I be able to pop over to yours to watch ‘call the midwife’ and ‘line of duty’ please?

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

The 2000 people convicted this week and every week for not having a TV licence were all fools then."

Yes, they were fools for watching live TV without a license.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

The 2000 people convicted this week and every week for not having a TV licence were all fools then."

well obviously

over a year ago

"Winge winge, moan moan about paying a tv licence for ad free TV, rather than 5 mins ads 5 mins TV on £100/ month sky, and yet same peeps will happily pay near 5 quid for a pint, or magazine, or a McDs.

Get a grip !"

Sounds like someone needs a coffee

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

I have not had TV licence for the last 12 years. I was getting some harassment from the licensing company at first, as how dare I not watch live TV??? Now I only got a letter when it's time to renew my declaration.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Tell them you'll start paying the moment they start putting something decent on. instead of the repeated that has gone out of age... You'd have a case in court

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Get a grip !"

The magazine, pint, sky telly ect are all choices nobody is telling anyone to buy those things but are free to choose too, very different from being forced to pay for utter shite telly where most of the programs appeal to people 80+ by a filthy woke agenda pedo housing corporation

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I did that when I was at University as we actually didn't have a TV. We all just streamed stuff on laptops and none of it live. I mostly watched films.

By *elboy1957Man
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

only because you enter into joiner with them, say nothing and let them prove your guilt. They can't so don't fall for their crap ,it's all hot air and fear nothing in written law unless you admit to it

over a year ago

Get a grip !

The magazine, pint, sky telly ect are all choices nobody is telling anyone to buy those things but are free to choose too, very different from being forced to pay for utter shite telly where most of the programs appeal to people 80+ by a filthy woke agenda pedo housing corporation "

Don’t hold back!!! Say what’s really on your mind! Haha.

over a year ago

I don't watch live tv but unfortunately do watch BBC.

I like a bit of glow up and great British menu

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Nope, you can watch on catchup with the exception of Iplayer."

This is correct.

over a year ago

Have license but For cooking shows

Masterchef at the moment

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I pay my licence fee. I just purchase (ever-so-slightly) less coffee to offset the cost. It's all lovely really.

·

Would I be able to pop over to yours to watch ‘call the midwife’ and ‘line of duty’ please? "

Yes, I think that's perfectly acceptable. You can watch the mirror on the ceiling as well afterwards.

over a year ago

If your all gonna bicker at least get the price right.

I don't have one, I don't have bbc1, its and now no channel 4. On the other channels its all repeats so I don't bother.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

The 2000 people convicted this week and every week for not having a TV licence were all fools then.only because you enter into joiner with them, say nothing and let them prove your guilt. They can't so don't fall for their crap ,it's all hot air and fear nothing in written law unless you admit to it "

enter into joiner whats it got to do with a carpenter or was it a gaggle of carpenters?

over a year ago

"You declare you don't need one. Then you have to send in another form then you get nothing for 2 years when you will need to send that form in again.

I did all that but they still bombard me with their letters..im saving them up for when i get my log burner in haha

I post them all back to them (the box is only a few houses away) marked 'Unsolicited nuisance mail - Return to DL98 1AT'.

Even if you join the Mailing Preference Scheme, it is lawful to get sent stuff addressed to 'The Occupier', a loophole which I am sure was created especially for them."

...i think i will start and send them back and see if they keep sending them

By *injaprincessWoman
over a year ago

herehere

I have always declared no tv licence needed

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

Legally if you watch terrestrial live broadcast and BBC iPlayer you are required to pay for a license. However, they cannot prove that you ‘watch’ unless you allow inspectors in to your house and let them inspect how your TV is connected. The best thing to do is contact TV licensing themselves and declare that you don’t watch live tv or use iPlayer. Then at least the letters will stop. But you’ll have to re-register the next year.

By *oanna88TV/TS
over a year ago

Here and There

Declared I don't require one for years as I dont watch anything as it's broadcast. Still waiting for a visit...

Now I work away during the week so unless they work weekends they aren't going to catch me watching videos on YouTube or playing on a PlayStation....

By *r_PinkMan
over a year ago

london stratford

The conservatives, under Boris, wanted to destroy the BBC and that makes me want to keep them.

I also watch BBC1 regularly. So I happily pay my license fee.

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

"Declared I don't require one for years as I dont watch anything as it's broadcast. Still waiting for a visit...

Now I work away during the week so unless they work weekends they aren't going to catch me watching videos on YouTube or playing on a PlayStation...."

Unless there is some new law that I don't know about, you don't need TV licence to watch YouTube or to play games on your PlayStation.

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

Some of the best advice about the Licence fee is from The Black Belt Barrister on YouTube. He asked the BBC for a list of all the Channels on youtube that you would need a licence to view, they said that would be impossible as it changes from day to day. So if they don't know how the hell are we suppose to know.

over a year ago

"The conservatives, under Boris, wanted to destroy the BBC and that makes me want to keep them.

I also watch BBC1 regularly. So I happily pay my license fee."

He hid in a fridge!

By *arry LickitMan
over a year ago

Wales

I've been wiping my arse on them all my life

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

"I've been wiping my arse on them all my life "

What's this? Things to do to a Licence Enforcement Officer.

By *oanna88TV/TS
over a year ago

Here and There

"Declared I don't require one for years as I dont watch anything as it's broadcast. Still waiting for a visit...

Now I work away during the week so unless they work weekends they aren't going to catch me watching videos on YouTube or playing on a PlayStation....

Unless there is some new law that I don't know about, you don't need TV licence to watch YouTube or to play games on your PlayStation. "

Exactly why I haven't paid for a tv license in years. To be fair I've got many many better things to do than sit infront of the tv watching some drivel. Only really use it for the odd film, a bit of youtube, occasional PlayStation or if I'm ill, I choose what I want to watch anyway, my tastes don't seem to align with what is broadcast.

over a year ago

Unless there is some new law that I don't know about, you don't need TV licence to watch YouTube or to play games on your PlayStation.

Exactly why I haven't paid for a tv license in years. To be fair I've got many many better things to do than sit infront of the tv watching some drivel. ……"

Were you a WHY DON’T YOU fan?

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

I'm OK with being licence free, unless ACE comes around and tells me they are going to prosecute me for twenty squillion pounds for downloading 6000 movies and 400 TV shows.

By *oanna88TV/TS
over a year ago

Here and There

Exactly why I haven't paid for a tv license in years. To be fair I've got many many better things to do than sit infront of the tv watching some drivel. ……

Were you a WHY DON’T YOU fan? "

Never watched it as far as I know.

I grew up in the countryside where there was quarries to explore and skim stones in, too many trees to climb, friends with crossers, fields to mess about in, 'haunted houses' to explore yada yada yada

It's a shame so many parents now just put kids infront of a screen and wonder why they don't want to go and explore the world around them as they grow up...

By *axtanMan
over a year ago

los Cristianos now

Don't pay for anything- freeload why not!!

By *oanna88TV/TS
over a year ago

Here and There

"Don't pay for anything- freeload why not!!"

If not paying for something you don't use is freeloading then I'm up there with the best of the freeloaders...

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
over a year ago

Markfield

"I pay my licence fee. I just purchase (ever-so-slightly) less coffee to offset the cost. It's all lovely really.

·

Would I be able to pop over to yours to watch ‘call the midwife’ and ‘line of duty’ please?

Yes, I think that's perfectly acceptable. You can watch the mirror on the ceiling as well afterwards."

Ooft, was hoping you’d say that!

By *eFCUKaLotCouple
over a year ago

somewhere close

"Don't pay for anything- freeload why not!!"

And this affects you in which way?

By *uckingDelightfulCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

We pay but don’t actually watch live tv or actually need it anymore… mind blown! Thanks money saving fab forum.

over a year ago

"We pay but don’t actually watch live tv or actually need it anymore… mind blown! Thanks money saving fab forum. "

Martin who??? Pfft.

over a year ago

I declared to them last year that I didn't need a license and I got a confirmation back saying thank you for confirming and that I wouldn't hear from them again until July 2024. However a few months ago I got a letter stating my address is under investigation and that I'd get a visit. Interesting part is that this letter had "To the Occupier" on the address. Either they don't know who lives at my address or it's fake. If I ever get a visit, I'll show them the email I got from them and tell them to feck off

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I declared to them last year that I didn't need a license and I got a confirmation back saying thank you for confirming and that I wouldn't hear from them again until July 2024. However a few months ago I got a letter stating my address is under investigation and that I'd get a visit. Interesting part is that this letter had "To the Occupier" on the address. Either they don't know who lives at my address or it's fake. If I ever get a visit, I'll show them the email I got from them and tell them to feck off "

'To the occupier' is a work around the Mailing Preference Scheme. A number of other nuisance mail providers get away with that as well.

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

If you are ever visited do not let them past the door.

Your name is 'im not answering questions '

How do you watch TV 'im not answering questions'

Close the door

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

"If you are ever visited do not let them past the door.

Your name is 'im not answering questions '

How do you watch TV 'im not answering questions'

Close the door"

Also you can Withdrawal their Implied Right of Access (WOIRA) Then they can't cross any outer barriers to you property or knock on your door. (Unless they have a search warrant). You don't need to give them your name for this, (I'm Mr Legal Occupier). You can do this in writing, on their website, by Email or by telephone. It won't stop the letters, noir would I want it to as I find the letters very entertaining.

By *rtic explorerMan
over a year ago

ring road bristol

I pay then, never watch live tv, listen mainly to the radio live. But it’s peanuts per day and I’ll easily waste more on having Netflix, prime, Disney etc

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Black belt barrister and chili jon carne on youtube have gone into deph on this subject.

By *irenGuy70Man
over a year ago

Cirencester

If you don't need a licence for your viewing habits then fair play, obviously don't get one.

If however you don't have a licence but your viewing habits mean you should, then you should get one. It's like people not paying tax when they should, the proceeds benefit all of us and by not paying it you're free-loading and it's not fair on us in society that do.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"If you don't need a licence for your viewing habits then fair play, obviously don't get one.

If however you don't have a licence but your viewing habits mean you should, then you should get one. It's like people not paying tax when they should, the proceeds benefit all of us and by not paying it you're free-loading and it's not fair on us in society that do."

your having a laugh if you want to pay it fine for you to do so.

its not money well spent as i see it

i dont pay for it but my tv cant receive digital.

however i dont mind a mast change tacked onto the council tax a fair upgrade where everyone pays to keep the broadcast signal.

As goes for the bbc its time you payed for your own stuff with the attitude they have.

I dont see it being fair when they pay Lineker's £1.35 million it has been 1.7 million that isnt value for money

over a year ago

Wait you all have to pay for public TV ?

over a year ago

Pay to watch BBC ?

Do you even know what that stands for ?

You having a laugh ? Fuck off x

You pay me to watch that shit

And close the door in they faces

The end

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I emailed them telling them with specific details my viewing habits and cut off the payment

I do hope they visit

over a year ago

I paid my TV license for years. To be fair it was another handy regular direct debit to help build my credit score after moving into my own place late teens. I stopped paying maybe 18mths ago, as I legit only rarely watch telly these days, and it's only Netflix & whatnot now... I didn't mind the £12pmth though. My other subscriptions have jumped way higher the past few years, & I'm still paying those

over a year ago

"I paid my TV license for years. To be fair it was another handy regular direct debit to help build my credit score after moving into my own place late teens. I stopped paying maybe 18mths ago, as I legit only rarely watch telly these days, and it's only Netflix & whatnot now... I didn't mind the £12pmth though. My other subscriptions have jumped way higher the past few years, & I'm still paying those "

Ask me about my water rates, gas, & council tax increases? Now there's something that pisses me off

over a year ago

No license required for this BBC here, ladies. All free to good wet pussy

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"as I legit only rarely watch telly these days, and it's only Netflix & whatnot now... I didn't mind the £12pmth though. My other subscriptions have jumped way higher the past few years, & I'm still paying those "

you will be losing alot of content soon as the big film companys start to pull there shows off of netflix and other series films channels.

netflix will be left with its own films and series content on its channels

over a year ago

"as I legit only rarely watch telly these days, and it's only Netflix & whatnot now... I didn't mind the £12pmth though. My other subscriptions have jumped way higher the past few years, & I'm still paying those

you will be losing alot of content soon as the big film companys start to pull there shows off of netflix and other series films channels.

netflix will be left with its own films and series content on its channels "

Will they be moving them to the BBC then?

Post new Message to Thread