Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Keeping Active as you get older

Jump to newest

By *andadbod OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

At the moment and for quite some time now I’ve been cycling, doing martial arts, yoga, running and attending a HIIT circuit class. This is all to keep the mind and body in check, but lately things haven’t been going well, before Christmas I developed tendonitis in my elbow, this is still quite sore now and still looks like it’s going nowhere anytime soon. Then last night the tendon in my hip popped out as I was doing a walking lunge with a 20kg kettlebell.

Is there an age we’re we should slow down and not do as much, listen to our body and adjust accordingly? I love everything I do in terms of keeping the mind and body fit, I really don’t want to stop doing anything but the aches and pains are getting more frequent the closer to 50 I’m getting

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Maybe get yourself a health check and take advice from your Dr

I have a heart condition but go to the gym and do a boxing class along with swimming a few times a week.

By *andadbod OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Maybe get yourself a health check and take advice from your Dr

I have a heart condition but go to the gym and do a boxing class along with swimming a few times a week.

"

i was given physio for the elbow but that hasn’t really worked.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Maybe get yourself a health check and take advice from your Dr "

-Esp if you've spent years on Fabguys then open an account that is 'swing experienced' and 'Straight'. pt

over a year ago

-Esp if you've spent years on Fabguys then open an account that is 'swing experienced' and 'Straight'. pt "

Eh?

over a year ago

i was given physio for the elbow but that hasn’t really worked."

Sorry to hear that.

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

As you get older you have to change the way you work out, work out smarter.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

-Esp if you've spent years on Fabguys then open an account that is 'swing experienced' and 'Straight'. pt

Eh?"

-Sorry, I was just referring to the health check advice for someone else. Some people on FS are on Fabguys too but don't say. It;s a much freer place there in every way. I think the two sites should cross over. If you are on there too (as I am), it should say "on fabguys too!". After all, it's nothing to be ashamed of. --pt

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Eh?"

You are hot enough to turn a gay man straight.

over a year ago

"At the moment and for quite some time now I’ve been cycling, doing martial arts, yoga, running and attending a HIIT circuit class. This is all to keep the mind and body in check, but lately things haven’t been going well, before Christmas I developed tendonitis in my elbow, this is still quite sore now and still looks like it’s going nowhere anytime soon. Then last night the tendon in my hip popped out as I was doing a walking lunge with a 20kg kettlebell.

Is there an age we’re we should slow down and not do as much, listen to our body and adjust accordingly? I love everything I do in terms of keeping the mind and body fit, I really don’t want to stop doing anything but the aches and pains are getting more frequent the closer to 50 I’m getting "

This is why I stopped doing CV when I hit 30 lol!

I agree with the others….Dr for a check up and evaluate from there….but this appears in us all….we all think we can handle the efforts we put in when younger when realistically we can’t!!

I hope the injuries aren’t long lasting OP!!

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

I hear you OP. Aside from battling an illness for the past 18 months, I find I get pains in elbows and knees and especially in my lower back. I’m only just getting back into training after the illness, and these days is much gentler. Vinyasa and yin yoga, functional movement, and short, cardio focused Hiits. I don’t use weights at all. Cycling is great as it’s low impact for your joints (unless you fall off), but doing some counter stretches for your back and hips are necessary. It’s just age. Something to accept and adjust to. And recovering from injury seems to take so much longer than it did. Giving yourself that time is important.

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Op you're still a youngster!

Dave's 58 and fitter than ever!

partly because we go to the gym 3 times a week as he wants to retain his Lancaster Armoury tournament champion title (full contact medieval combat)

Age is largely irrelevant, ok it takes a bit longer to get going/achieve the results were want, but mindset is a big thing.

By *andadbod OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Op you're still a youngster!

Dave's 58 and fitter than ever!

partly because we go to the gym 3 times a week as he wants to retain his Lancaster Armoury tournament champion title (full contact medieval combat)

Age is largely irrelevant, ok it takes a bit longer to get going/achieve the results were want, but mindset is a big thing."

He would have been carrying some weight in terms of uniform for the medieval combat im sure, well done to him

By *carlett 44Woman
over a year ago

bootle

I'm not the most active person. I'm a barmaid so on my feet for 8 hrs a day. Last yr I was diagnosed with fybromyalgia and hav bin looking up things I can do to help my body n mind

Yoga n swimming meant to be very good.

over a year ago

Gym three times a week, good quality vitamins and plenty of rest, glucosamine and vegan omega 3 oil too, prevents a lot of aches and pains and also if you can go swimming at least once a week do so, sounds like you need a proper check up too

over a year ago

Yeah I was going to say swimming too. Great way to stay in shape and low impact on the joints.

Yoga to keep your muscles and joints supple too.

By *atriciayoiditTV/TS
over a year ago

hatfield

"At the moment and for quite some time now I’ve been cycling, doing martial arts, yoga, running and attending a HIIT circuit class. This is all to keep the mind and body in check, but lately things haven’t been going well, before Christmas I developed tendonitis in my elbow, this is still quite sore now and still looks like it’s going nowhere anytime soon. Then last night the tendon in my hip popped out as I was doing a walking lunge with a 20kg kettlebell.

Is there an age we’re we should slow down and not do as much, listen to our body and adjust accordingly? I love everything I do in terms of keeping the mind and body fit, I really don’t want to stop doing anything but the aches and pains are getting more frequent the closer to 50 I’m getting "

NO....stop thinking you are getting old..there is nothing wrong with you... a weak body equals a weak mind....an aching body equals strenth to come...enjoy..good man.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You should listen to your body at every age. If it's telling you there's something wrong (that's what pain is) take notice

over a year ago

Eh? You are hot enough to turn a gay man straight."

It's a superpower

By *hilledGuyClactonMan
over a year ago

Little clacton

Over the past month or so have let my weights slide,to just doing once or twice a week.

But got back into them today also with a 7 mile beach walk thrown in,it`s good for the soul.

I will never lift weights like I use to in my younger years,I`m happy just being able to do 100kg bench press for reps/sets.

By *ausage1970Man
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Very active and competing too

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Keep changing the combination way you train so it rotates body movements rather than getting used to one method which can cause serious injuries you need to balance it....

I prefer to use body mass too begin with then resistance straps then weights or switch them weights then straps

over a year ago

-Esp if you've spent years on Fabguys then open an account that is 'swing experienced' and 'Straight'. pt "

What's it got to do with you? What business is it of yours how the man marks off an option? If I were you I'd concentrate on yourself instead of getting in a sly dig.

over a year ago

Anyway, in answer to your question as others have said lay off anything too strenuous and rest and consider seeing a physio. Heat/Ice does work, although it can take time.

over a year ago

Eh?

-Sorry, I was just referring to the health check advice for someone else. Some people on FS are on Fabguys too but don't say. It;s a much freer place there in every way. I think the two sites should cross over. If you are on there too (as I am), it should say "on fabguys too!". After all, it's nothing to be ashamed of. --pt"

What on earth has that got to do with my post?

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Eh?

-Sorry, I was just referring to the health check advice for someone else. Some people on FS are on Fabguys too but don't say. It;s a much freer place there in every way. I think the two sites should cross over. If you are on there too (as I am), it should say "on fabguys too!". After all, it's nothing to be ashamed of. --pt

What on earth has that got to do with my post? "

-Just the general health check comment, nothing to do with you. --pt

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Go and see a sports physio that will look at the injuries you've got ahd work with you to fix them and strengthen any weaknesses.

I see a physio and have a massage once a month now, I kept picking up niggles and without wanting to tempt fate have picked up nothibg since I started seeing her.

You're younger than me and by the sounds of it do less than me, age isn't a barrier but you have to listen to your body

over a year ago

Eh?

-Just the general health check comment, nothing to do with you. --pt"

So what was the Fabguys comments in response to my post about?

over a year ago

Eh?

So what was the Fabguys comments in response to my post about?"

He's just trying to take a swipe at the man in question.

By *rMonkeyMan
over a year ago

Somewhere

I've had to make changes and compromise as I've got older. Up until 2 and a half years ago all was good. I then injured myself squatting in prep for a competition.

Popped a floating rib while squatting 275kg for 5 reps, collapsed and got pinned under the bar, shoulder, knee, back all injured pretty badly. I'd popped the rib 3 years earlier in a strongman comp.

My Hope's of top level comp are pretty much gone as I just cant get back to full strength. Get to about 80% on squat and deadlift. Bench only I'll compete next year, aiming for british and european record. That will be my last hurrah, I'm pretty gutted as I had qualified for world champs and was in with a good chance of a podium.

Still training to keep in shape, stay fit, but that's it, just listening to my body now.

By *arry LickitMan
over a year ago

Wales

I do a lot of walking

over a year ago

Eh?

So what was the Fabguys comments in response to my post about?

He's just trying to take a swipe at the man in question. "

Post new Message to Thread