Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London Marathon Disruption

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Speculation that as the great unwashed Extinction and Stop Oil people descend on London that the London Marathon will be targeted. Fair or not fair game?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Speculation that as the great unwashed Extinction and Stop Oil people descend on London that the London Marathon will be targeted. Fair or not fair game?"

It'll be all over the news if it happens.

over a year ago

Not fair game in my opinion. Running does not use oil, unless you count the butter on the runners toast...

By *wingin CatMan
over a year ago

London

Cue the anti-woke brigade blaming it all on "woke".

These fucking weirdos are far from woke (if you know the true meaning of the word).

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"Not fair game in my opinion. Running does not use oil, unless you count the butter on the runners toast..."

And the vaseline on the nipples

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Horrible to ruin people’s fun on this day and age. The marathon is a bit of pain in the arse to apply and be successful for so it would be very unfair.

But hey no marathons on and a dead planet and it gets you talking will be wheeled out as an excuse.

By *edbath 5Man
over a year ago

london

Hope they do it round my way.

They will wish they didn’t.

over a year ago

Plot twist: a protestor joins and eventually wins the race. Britain descends into meltdown.

over a year ago

Did anyone see the disruption at the snooker with the protestor climbing on the table and flinging, what looked like chilli powder, all over true place ? There was another, simultaneous, protestor on the next table trying to glue herself to that table.

Was quite the debacle.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Not fair game in my opinion. Running does not use oil, unless you count the butter on the runners toast..."

Actually I suspect that the carbon footprint for London Marathon is absolutely huge.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I actually think it would be quite hard to disrupt it.

If they target the elite runners, the sheer speed of them will make it difficult to impede them.

Target the masses and the pure volume of runners will make it difficult to impede it.

For any effective exposure they'd want to target the Mall where the security is huge or the last mile or so before the Mall where the crowds are huge.

There's also the issue that this osbthe worlds largest charity fundraising event, year on year millions are raised and sure even extinction rebellion and stop oil with their utterly random choice of targets would see how foolish that is.

I suspect at most one or 2 demonstrators attempting to join the race abd run down the mall waving a banner as the winners finish before being tackled by security guards.

over a year ago

"Speculation that as the great unwashed Extinction and Stop Oil people descend on London that the London Marathon will be targeted. Fair or not fair game?"

No they are terrorists.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

They wouldn’t dare… I remember when they tried to disrupt people trying to travel by gluing themselves to tube trains at Canning Town … to the point where they needed police protection when commuters turned on them….

I have seen people kneecapped at Canning Town just for their Oyster cards not working!!!!

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I hope not as I’ve trained and run two marathons inc London marathon. You train for most of the year to get to a fitness condition in which you can completely the 26.2 miles in a reasonable time. So some idiot running out in front of them or glued to the pavement will really ruin that person’s experience and potentially charity work.

As others previously commented I think it would be difficult and truly hope it doesn’t happen.

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

People protested the last time I entered a marathon...just because I got a peanut stuck under my foreskin

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I sincerely hope not. I understand the tactic of targeting high profile events (it doesn’t have to be linked to the cause itself - insulate Britain weren’t hoping to insulate the M25) but so many of the runners will have dedicated their lives to training for what will be a huge personal achievement.

40,000 ish runners - say half of them are doing it for charity. How unfair is it to deprive those charities just because some radicalised hippy wants to make a point.

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

"Not fair game in my opinion. Running does not use oil, unless you count the butter on the runners toast...

Actually I suspect that the carbon footprint for London Marathon is absolutely huge."

Yep it would be

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Someone will glue themselves

over a year ago

"Someone will poo themselves "

Paula?

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Apparently the marathon organisers and Extinction Rebellion have reached an agreement whereby XR will help with the event.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/04/23 20:52:52]

By *aribbean King 1985Man
over a year ago

South West London

All these disruptive behaviour just does more harm and damage then any good

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Apparently the marathon organisers and Extinction Rebellion have reached an agreement whereby XR will help with the event."

Glyn.. Tom guesses that some of these protest types will hijack the event .. if Tom is wrong then let History judge him

over a year ago

Not fair game given how much the London marathon raises for charities

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

These extinct people care not for anyone else's needs...

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

It's sheer arrogance to protest in this way & the protesters are getting off on it. The government need a hardline approach from old school judges.

No government can or will give in to blickmail as if they met the protesters wishes all group would protest in this way so its doomed to failure but until these idiots are locked up in a way to deter they won't stop.

It's an arrogant perversion.

Apparently can't post if I use the correct spelling or very dark mail. WTF?

By *helamontsCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Can't see what Extinction rebellion would gain out of this as running is a zero emission sport ... unless you cheat and get the bus ...

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

"Can't see what Extinction rebellion would gain out of this as running is a zero emission sport ... unless you cheat and get the bus ... "

The whole point is they get off on doing it, Snooker was no threat but the smug look on that Berks face said it all.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Apparently the extinction lot are now not ruling out disruption of the London Funrun which suggests that no bugger is in charge of these peoples.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Determine your outlook based on motivation/objectives and behaviour. Not speculation.

Post new Message to Thread