Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If you met royalty....

Jump to newest

By *oinerbill OP   Man
over a year ago

warrington

Would you bow - men - or curtsey - women.

Ive been told i am disrespectful for not doing so. I would shake hands and be polite, just as I would to anyone - but I certainly wouldnt bow to them

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I would shake hands but not bow or anything else...

By *amierebelMan
over a year ago

nae danger.

Nah why would I give special treatment to someone just because they are royalty, not for me

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Yes I would bow my head as per tradition

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No.I would not bow nor curtsey

over a year ago

I would shake hand but not bow

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Be courteous and shake hands as I would with any other stranger

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple
over a year ago

Watford

"Would you bow - men - or curtsey - women.

Ive been told i am disrespectful for not doing so. I would shake hands and be polite, just as I would to anyone - but I certainly wouldnt bow to them"

The same. I'm anti-Monarchist but would do as you do. I wouldn't bring up my wish for Britain to become a republic at that time, as there's a time and a place for everything.

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

If it's the king or Queen yes! They do a lot for the economy, Whether you like them or not.

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Why meet them in the first place then?

If you are living on your own terms you would put yourself in the position of meeting them and thus it wouldn't be an issue.

Why meet them, not to bow simply to prove a point that most people wouldn't see or decipher unless it were for some self gratification.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Shake hand and be polite remind them that I hadn't washed mine probably hear neither did they

By *asterR and slut mayaMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Met princess Ann at charity gala nite she was very nice to talk too.

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Shake hand and be polite remind them that I hadn't washed mine probably hear neither did they "
Hope you wash them after a number 2 ewww hahaha

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

We are equal, so I'd treat them as such

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I curtsey as a mark of respect to her

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Shake hand and be polite remind them that I hadn't washed mine probably hear neither did they Hope you wash them after a number 2 ewww hahaha "

I'd probably come worse off because I do and reply would be that they couldn't count for everyone by the time they got to me

By *ansexualPandaMan
over a year ago

Near You

No. Blue blood doesn't make you a better human being and I have little respect for such dynastic families. People are people are people and I'll take them as they take me. I won't treat anyone any differently no matter their background, rich, famous or poor.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I would gleefully bow.

over a year ago

Met Harry, he stole my weights in the gym on camp bastion -_-

By *obby3264Man
over a year ago

Cambridge

If they wanted to bow to me I'd let them.

By *weetsmellingtreatsWoman
over a year ago

Gloucester

Ive been told i am disrespectful for not doing so. I would shake hands and be polite, just as I would to anyone - but I certainly wouldnt bow to them"

A member of my family won a military award to be presented by royalty and I refused to attend ceremony as I will NEVER bow to an accident of birth who thinks that means I should curtesy.

Everyone thought I was mad but NO WAY a hand shake I would have done but to be told I had to wear a hat (no way) and to curtsey no thanks.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I would decline to meet them.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I would decline to meet them."

So would I.

But if for any reason I had to, I'd adhere to etiquette

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Are we talking Fab royalty?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I would decline to meet them.

So would I.

But if for any reason I had to, I'd adhere to etiquette "

Yeah. I curtsied at my undergraduate graduation per tradition*. If I can curtsy for the governor, whatever.

* Women could either curtsy or bow, but the protocol for bowing involved more steps and a lot of guys dropped their mortarboard in the process. I went for the simple option

over a year ago

There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The King or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms. For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way.

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"If it's the king or Queen yes! They do a lot for the economy, Whether you like them or not. "

Is that actually true though?

Do people go to Spain to see the Spanish King? What about Thailand or the Netherlands?

The French chopped their monarch's head off and still get millions of visitors to Versailles Palace. (I'm not advocating executing the current UK King, just pointing out what happened in France).

I've seen lots of estimates about the amount of money the monarchy earns for tourism, but when you look at the data, it's all about visiting palaces etc, which people could (and would) do without there being a monarch. It's the same when I visited the Taj Mahal. It's a beautiful building but I had no interest in who was buried there.

Gbat

over a year ago

Lol I am a heathen I don't bow to anyone.

over a year ago

I met the queen and Prince Phil about 25 years ago at the queen’s garden party. It was in the grounds of Buck Palace, just treated her as any other normal person. With respect- no bowing, kneeling, squatting or arse licking, we are all human

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

Even as an Irishman I would bow.

Oh I'd bow alright. And slowly work my way in to their confidence before pulling off an elaborate Oceans Eleven style heist where I steal the crown jewels.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Yes for sure! Would have to practice my curtsy x

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Why meet them in the first place then?

If you are living on your own terms you would put yourself in the position of meeting them and thus it wouldn't be an issue.

Why meet them, not to bow simply to prove a point that most people wouldn't see or decipher unless it were for some self gratification. "

I met both Princess Ann and as he was then, Prince Charles, both through the course of my work. I didn't go to meet them, I went to do my job and thus met them.

If I was to get a medal from the monarch, I would go, but I would resent the fact that having a monarch prevented me from getting a medal from my republic.

For clarity, I didn't bow nor would I on a future occasion.

Gbat

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"Why meet them in the first place then?

Why meet them, not to bow simply to prove a point that most people wouldn't see or decipher unless it were for some self gratification.

I met both Princess Ann and as he was then, Prince Charles, both through the course of my work. I didn't go to meet them, I went to do my job and thus met them.

If I was to get a medal from the monarch, I would go, but I would resent the fact that having a monarch prevented me from getting a medal from my republic.

For clarity, I didn't bow nor would I on a future occasion.

Gbat "

But you would happily receive a honor for services to the UK which the King is Head of State. The UK isn't a republic, it's a constitutional monarchy. If you resent meeting them then get the madal through the post.

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Shake hand and be polite remind them that I hadn't washed mine probably hear neither did they Hope you wash them after a number 2 ewww hahaha

I'd probably come worse off because I do and reply would be that they couldn't count for everyone by the time they got to me "

hehe

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Could have done, was told you’d have to line up as they walked past- once I stopped laughing I told the boss to fuck off and change my shift if he wasn’t happy with me trying to greet them with ‘Yo dude!’ and a fist bump as I wondered past doing my job

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I would curtsey. I like the royal family. I met Charles and Camilla before he was king from the other side of the road. They got out the car dead opposite me. I would definetly have curtsey for the queen when she was alive

over a year ago

I think a fist bump would be perfectly acceptable

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I'm not edgey, so I'd be inkeeping with tradition

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I am not a royalist and would refuse to be servile to someone I do not regard as being better than me through act of birth.

By *ldgeezermeMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

If it's Andy don't curtsey too low

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

As others have said I would also decline to meet them. The only exception I’d make is for my children if they were getting an award or something similar. Even then I’d do what I could to avoid any of them.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Ive been told i am disrespectful for not doing so. I would shake hands and be polite, just as I would to anyone - but I certainly wouldnt bow to them

A member of my family won a military award to be presented by royalty and I refused to attend ceremony as I will NEVER bow to an accident of birth who thinks that means I should curtesy.

Everyone thought I was mad but NO WAY a hand shake I would have done but to be told I had to wear a hat (no way) and to curtsey no thanks.

"

You have myrespect,

I would be the same

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I’d shake old Charlie by the hand and ask him how long he’s been on Fab.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

If I had an appointment I wouldn’t turn up, if I happened to be out and about when the meeting took place, I’d carry on walking.

The mr

over a year ago

"

There's no obligation to bow or curtsey to royalty, but well done for letting your family member down. I'm sure they won the award for doing something terribly brave, but you were incapable of supporting them through ignorance and having to wear a hat. I'm sure your family member was grateful you weren't there.

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

If I’d have met the Queen I would have curtsied but I wouldn’t to the rest, I’d be more likely to ask the elephant in the room question or tell we preferred Diana

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

Met Camilla once while walking the dog close to her estate. Didn't recognise her at first, it was only after she said hello it struck me. Seemed grounded enough.

As for a curtsy, if it was a formal occassion then I guess so. But otherwise no ta.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Yes I would bow and show respect to our monarchs as I would with any royal family from any other country

Marc

over a year ago

I'd happily get on my knees for Harry....

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes I would bow and show respect to our monarchs as I would with any royal family from any other country

Marc"

I'd show the same respect to unelected officials from any country. I'll agree on that

over a year ago

It's just dawned on me that I have no idea how I'm supposed to address a Royal.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

There's a fine line between a bow of the head and a headbutt

By *lubchuckerMan
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

It would depend which 'royal personage' it was i met

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I've met a couple.

Shook hands and gave a nod of the head.

Was linked to charity work and I have a photo of my Dad with Charles (long before he became king) that I love.

A

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

If someone told me a member of the royal family was over there I wouldn’t even expend the effort turning my head to look

over a year ago

I bounced around them for 14 years, still occasionally bump into one or two. It was always informal though, not events. Chuckie is Sir and Anne is Mam. The others are all first name terms, They have a very informal, normal side. Never bowed to any of them, treated them like anyone else.

By *isfun2023Couple
over a year ago

wakefield

I met Charles 2 years ago... my friend set me up saying I have to say your royal highness so I did .... apparently not what I should have said.... got it on video too lol... also got interviewed and on local news claim to fame lol

over a year ago

"I met Charles 2 years ago... my friend set me up saying I have to say your royal highness so I did .... apparently not what I should have said.... got it on video too lol... also got interviewed and on local news claim to fame lol "

That is the correct address on first meeting and Sir thereafter..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Prince Charles used to go hunting very local to my grandparents and stay with a local family in the local village. My grandparents had a lovely close up photo of him in their front room. He was possibly only in his 2o s at the time. Don't know what happened to the photo when they died

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I curtsy formally when I meet anyone so it wouldn’t be an issue at all

By *isfun2023Couple
over a year ago

wakefield

"I met Charles 2 years ago... my friend set me up saying I have to say your royal highness so I did .... apparently not what I should have said.... got it on video too lol... also got interviewed and on local news claim to fame lol

That is the correct address on first meeting and Sir thereafter.."

That's a relief then thank you

By *batMan
over a year ago

"But you would happily receive a honor for services to the UK which the King is Head of State. The UK isn't a republic, it's a constitutional monarchy. If you resent meeting them then get the madal through the post."

Yes, I would happily receive an honour for services to the UK (I already have thanks). But I was serving my community not the crown.

That was my point. I resent that there's a monarch in the way and I would always have prefered to get my recognition from my country not the monarch.

I was handed my medals from people a lot lower in the pecking order, but the only way to get the higher orders is from the Palace. They don't send out Knighthoods in the post.

Gbat

over a year ago

Yes I would curtsey or whatever protocol was expected. I do love the Royal Family

over a year ago

Hand shake.

By *amierebelMan
over a year ago

nae danger.

"There's a fine line between a bow of the head and a headbutt "

Mr bean?

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I might shake hands but I wouldn't bow. Anyone who might be offended by that probably needs to re-examine their sensitivity.

By *leasure Hunter400Man
over a year ago

Bucks

I would bow my head as a mark of respect.

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

Yes I would be respectful and follow the correct protocol

over a year ago

"But you would happily receive a honor for services to the UK which the King is Head of State. The UK isn't a republic, it's a constitutional monarchy. If you resent meeting them then get the madal through the post.

Yes, I would happily receive an honour for services to the UK (I already have thanks). But I was serving my community not the crown.

That was my point. I resent that there's a monarch in the way and I would always have prefered to get my recognition from my country not the monarch.

I was handed my medals from people a lot lower in the pecking order, but the only way to get the higher orders is from the Palace. They don't send out Knighthoods in the post.

Gbat "

It’s a controversial area and essentially down to your perspective. A monarchy, whether you agree with the concept or not, is a constant representation of your country, whereas the president of a republic is merely the head of the current ruling party and will never be constant.

over a year ago

I'm irish so you do NOT want me to answer that question

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

yes I would and have curtsied to the Late Queen when I was introduced to her.

By *ez669Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Loads of shady stories surrounds them

By *he James gangCouple
over a year ago

NEWTOWNABBEY

If you can hold door open for Joe public, what's the big deal with royalty. I met Queen Elizabeth, the protocol was explained, I did my bit and proud of it. Was I about to snub someone in their home? Not a chance. Its called respect. If someone on here said, you can fuck me if you bow to me this once, your saying no! If your in front of a judge, do you call him 'pal' or 'my lord'. At least royalty wouldn't hold you in contempt.

By *illan-KillashMan
over a year ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

I did and I would again.

I've also shaken hands in less formal settings.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I'd get on my knees and never look in their exulted faces

By *amesBeelzebubMan
over a year ago

norwich

Depends.

If it's Andrew No!

If it was the queen or Charles now I'd probably bow.

If it was Kate or Meghan I'd probably just stare

By *batMan
over a year ago

"It’s a controversial area and essentially down to your perspective. A monarchy, whether you agree with the concept or not, is a constant representation of your country, whereas the president of a republic is merely the head of the current ruling party and will never be constant."

A monarchy is no more constant than a constitution. They are people with finite lives. Admittedly, the UKs recent experience is of long a term monarch, but most young people will be on their third monarch well within their lifetimes. The youngest people will probably make their fourth before they die.

Who says they’ll be any good? Trouble is, there’s no legal way of binning a bad one, it’s just pot luck.

Monarchs are finite but perhaps you can argue a monarchy is more permanent. But by the same argument, presidents are finite but a presidential republic is more permanent.

But even the longest of institutions isn’t constant really.

I have always represented my community and by extension my country. I haven’t represented the monarch even though their symbols were all over the money and badges.

Gbat

By *imbo59seMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

Come to attention and bow my head as shake their hand.

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

salute

Post new Message to Thread