Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Another school shooting.......

Jump to newest

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

So apparently yesterday there was the 89th school shooting of 2023 in the USA.

89th. There's only been 87 days in 2023 so far FFS!

And I didn't even know it had happened as it seems not to have popped up on any of my news feeds yesterday. Maybe it's reached the point where they're not even deemed newsworthy anymore, but WTAF??

More than one a day.

A

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

It came up on my bbc news pop up yesterday. The Tennessee one? It’s so so awful.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Saw it yesterday. Terrible

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Another tragic event that could be avoided if America wake up and do something about their gun culture.

I saw something pop up a couple of weeks ago on the 27th anniversary of the Dunblaine shooting, after which, the government of the day radically reformed gun laws in the UK and since then there has been not one further incident.

It's getting to the point now, with the USA, where it would be newsworthy if there was a day when there WASN'T a mass school shooting.

Very sad

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Another tragic event that could be avoided if America wake up and do something about their gun culture.

I saw something pop up a couple of weeks ago on the 27th anniversary of the Dunblaine shooting, after which, the government of the day radically reformed gun laws in the UK and since then there has been not one further incident.

It's getting to the point now, with the USA, where it would be newsworthy if there was a day when there WASN'T a mass school shooting.

Very sad"

Yep.

I can't think of another country in the world where it happens on the same scale.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Reply privately

By *hekaiserMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

The right to bear arms and all the bullshit behind...

Reply privately

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

89th? Try 129th mass shooting this year!

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"89th? Try 129th mass shooting this year!"

89th school shooting.

The other 40 weren't in schools.

I mean 1 is too many, but this is the USA after all......

A

Reply privately

By *ocksareoffMan
over a year ago

Out n About

"The right to bear arms and all the bullshit behind..."

When you listen to the pro gun gang over there, words just fail me. Then there's the extortionate health care.

There's a lot wrong with this country but jeez America is in a big ol state.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Got a feeling the latest shooting incident is going to get buried by the media very soon.

Because the shooter does not fit the media stereotype bogeyman of what a shooter should look like/where a shooter came from.

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Yes. I also heard about it, not good rip, who else agrees with this saying that, guns dont kill people do?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Another tragic event that could be avoided if America wake up and do something about their gun culture.

Very sad

Yep.

I can't think of another country in the world where it happens on the same scale.

But hey. Guns...........

A"

That's because there isn't one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Very sad"

Hardly. After Dunblane, .gov banned most small firearms (handguns). Since then we have had Whitehaven/Cumbria, Woodmancote/West Sussex and more recently Keyham/Plymouth and Epsom/Sussex shootings.

Much as I despise the man himself, David Cameron PM said it best, '..you can't legislate for a madman'.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes. I also heard about it, not good rip, who else agrees with this saying that, guns dont kill people do?"

Guns don't kill people but they're a much more effective way to get the job done.

I'm not in favour of effective methods of killing.

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

I dare say they will all be clamouring for Trump to come back and sort out the mess.

Reply privately

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

America has a massive problem right now, and the guns are just one part of it.

2016 was the beginning of their problems.

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Very sad

Hardly. After Dunblane, .gov banned most small firearms (handguns). Since then we have had Whitehaven/Cumbria, Woodmancote/West Sussex and more recently Keyham/Plymouth and Epsom/Sussex shootings.

Much as I despise the man himself, David Cameron PM said it best, '..you can't legislate for a madman'.

"

That's 4.

In how many years?

Compared to the USA that's clear evidence we made the right choice.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A"

Depends how you compile your stats. Per head of population, the US is a mere 11th:

Average (Mean) Annual Death Rate per Million People from Mass Public Shootings (U.S., Canada, and Europe, 2009-2015):

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

Reply privately

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

"Yes. I also heard about it, not good rip, who else agrees with this saying that, guns dont kill people do?"

I do agree with that. As anything can be used as a weapon to be fair, but with guns so easily attainable such as a nation like the US, it seems that its not going to be aproblem thats just gonna go away by itself really

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Depends how you compile your stats. Per head of population, the US is a mere 11th:

Average (Mean) Annual Death Rate per Million People from Mass Public Shootings (U.S., Canada, and Europe, 2009-2015):

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009"

I'd be interested in the source data for that.

A

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009"

How on earth is Norway so high?... I'd always thought it was one of the safest places to love in the world

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

How on earth is Norway so high?... I'd always thought it was one of the safest places to love in the world"

*Live

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

A"

From a site called World Population Review:

"Exactly how mass shootings in the U.S. compare to those in other countries is a highly disputed subject. In a widely publicized study originally released in 2015, the pro-gun nonprofit Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) compared the annual number of mass shooting deaths per million people in the U.S. to that of Canada and several European countries from 2009 to 2015. The result? Norway led the world with 1.88 deaths per million, followed by Serbia, France, and Macedonia. Where did the U.S. rank? 11th place." then it gives the same figures quoted.

Reply privately

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

Unfortunately the trans Community will cop the flack in America for this

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

A

"Exactly how mass shootings in the U.S. compare to those in other countries is a highly disputed subject. In a widely publicized study originally released in 2015, the pro-gun nonprofit Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) compared the annual number of mass shooting deaths per million people in the U.S. to that of Canada and several European countries from 2009 to 2015. The result? Norway led the world with 1.88 deaths per million, followed by Serbia, France, and Macedonia. Where did the U.S. rank? 11th place." then it gives the same figures quoted."

Yep.

I found similar data on another site and also a link to a snopes article on it, which included this info on the source of those stats.

"The source of the list is a 2015 article published by the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC), a pro-gun rights nonprofit run by economist John Lott. In his research, Lott found that between 2009 and 2015, the number of people killed in a mass shooting in the United States (in relation to the overall population) was lower than it was in several European countries, including Norway, France, Switzerland and Finland."

A

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

A

"Exactly how mass shootings in the U.S. compare to those in other countries is a highly disputed subject. In a widely publicized study originally released in 2015, the pro-gun nonprofit Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) compared the annual number of mass shooting deaths per million people in the U.S. to that of Canada and several European countries from 2009 to 2015. The result? Norway led the world with 1.88 deaths per million, followed by Serbia, France, and Macedonia. Where did the U.S. rank? 11th place." then it gives the same figures quoted.

Yep.

I found similar data on another site and also a link to a snopes article on it, which included this info on the source of those stats.

"The source of the list is a 2015 article published by the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC), a pro-gun rights nonprofit run by economist John Lott. In his research, Lott found that between 2009 and 2015, the number of people killed in a mass shooting in the United States (in relation to the overall population) was lower than it was in several European countries, including Norway, France, Switzerland and Finland."

A"

Sorry - forgot to add the conclusion!

"

Our conclusion is that this is accurate based on the CPRC's definition of a mass shooting, but also extremely misleading. It uses inappropriate statistical methods to obscure the reality that mass shootings are very rare in most countries, so that when they do happen they have an outsized statistical effect. Of the countries chosen by Lott for his analysis, the United States is by some distance the most consistent site of mass shootings."

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

A

"Exactly how mass shootings in the U.S. compare to those in other countries is a highly disputed subject. In a widely publicized study originally released in 2015, the pro-gun nonprofit Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) compared the annual number of mass shooting deaths per million people in the U.S. to that of Canada and several European countries from 2009 to 2015. The result? Norway led the world with 1.88 deaths per million, followed by Serbia, France, and Macedonia. Where did the U.S. rank? 11th place." then it gives the same figures quoted."

That's the one. Figures get skewed by how they are collected. I think four people have to get shot, in the same incident, in the US before it's even considered a mass shooting. Less than that is just a normal day. Figures for those are phenomenally high, especially in places like Detroit, Chicago, Washington and others.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

A

Yep.

A

Sorry - forgot to add the conclusion!

"

Our conclusion is that this is accurate based on the CPRC's definition of a mass shooting, but also extremely misleading. It uses inappropriate statistical methods to obscure the reality that mass shootings are very rare in most countries, so that when they do happen they have an outsized statistical effect. Of the countries chosen by Lott for his analysis, the United States is by some distance the most consistent site of mass shootings."

A"

Ahh. Cherry picking.

Of course

I remember when I was studying crime stats in more detail, people telling me that Australia had become a hotbed of violence after Port Arthur (Australia's Dunblane). I mean I suppose if you squinted at it funny, only looked at one particular type of crime, ignored normal variations in the data, etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

How on earth is Norway so high?... I'd always thought it was one of the safest places to love in the world"

Anders Breivik..

Reply privately

By *apperleymanMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Lies, damn lies & statistics..

US lies second only to Brazil in terms of total fatalities by shooting.

Per capita it lies 11th or 12th (but these include countries at war or massive civil unrest)

Mass shootings only contribute a small amount of deaths with suicide being over 60%..

In short the US has a major problem with guns.. how anyone can argue otherwise is beyond any sensible adult comprehension.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

How on earth is Norway so high?... I'd always thought it was one of the safest places to love in the world

Anders Breivik.."

A proper statistical analysis would likely control for anomalous years, except where the point is to examine the anomaly (for example, Covid analysis - I typically see 2013-18 average and 2020 side by side)

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Lies, damn lies & statistics..

Per capita it lies 11th or 12th (but these include countries at war or massive civil unrest)

Mass shootings only contribute a small amount of deaths with suicide being over 60%..

In short the US has a major problem with guns.. how anyone can argue otherwise is beyond any sensible adult comprehension.

"

I comprehend. Ideology.

Reply privately

By *ittlemiss1985Woman
over a year ago

Lansing

"Got a feeling the latest shooting incident is going to get buried by the media very soon.

Because the shooter does not fit the media stereotype bogeyman of what a shooter should look like/where a shooter came from. "

It'll be forgotten by the national media quickly, but not because of that. It took just over a week for them to stop talking about the one that happened last month at the university that's in the next town over from me. That one got my nephew scared the most since his elementary school is not far from the university, it's to the point where he's asking his mom to have plans at home if someone comes into their home and shots them.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Got a feeling the latest shooting incident is going to get buried by the media very soon.

Because the shooter does not fit the media stereotype bogeyman of what a shooter should look like/where a shooter came from.

It'll be forgotten by the national media quickly, but not because of that. It took just over a week for them to stop talking about the one that happened last month at the university that's in the next town over from me. That one got my nephew scared the most since his elementary school is not far from the university, it's to the point where he's asking his mom to have plans at home if someone comes into their home and shots them."

Fuck. I'm so sorry.

Thoughts and prayers do fuck all to actually help. It's just so awful that kids have to go through it.

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

Anders Breivik..

A proper statistical analysis would likely control for anomalous years, except where the point is to examine the anomaly (for example, Covid analysis - I typically see 2013-18 average and 2020 side by side)"

. See this in many other areas...it's gaslighting...pure and simple.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

It will carry on until the end of time, American citizens will not give up their right to bare arms and nutters exist everywhere, i think as terrible as it is its part of that countries make up and so therefore an every day occurrence

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

Anders Breivik.."

Ah I see, yes I remember hearing about that on the news.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I don't think many outside the US would argue with that, for a developed country. I have a fair few US contacts, most of whom are shooters, and they do not equate their ownership with actions of crazy people. Why should they?

When I get into discussions with them on this subject they talk against gun control, and I ask;

Do you think mentally disturbed people should have guns?

Do you think violent people should have guns?

Do you think known felons should have guns?

The answer to each is obviously no, so they do believe in gun control, just not for them personally because they can never envisage themselves doing anything bad with their guns. For the most part they are correct.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

Anders Breivik..

A proper statistical analysis would likely control for anomalous years, except where the point is to examine the anomaly (for example, Covid analysis - I typically see 2013-18 average and 2020 side by side). See this in many other areas...it's gaslighting...pure and simple. "

Yeah, it's difficult. It's not that I don't believe statistics, it's just that GIGO applies. (Garbage in, garbage out)

If you define your terms to give an answer that you want, you get meaningless bullshit. (In another context - when you're allowed to do clinical trials - they found no benefit to injury or mortality of jumping from a plane with a parachute. Devil is in the detail, of course, and you should not forego your parachute)

Reply privately

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

It's been all over the news since first thing this morning... Those poor babies

When's it ever going to end?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It's been all over the news since first thing this morning... Those poor babies

When's it ever going to end?"

I think Americans* have repeatedly decided - and most emphatically since Sandy Hook - that they value their guns over their children's lives and mental health.

* As a collective, not all individual Americans

Reply privately

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009

Anders Breivik.."

Breivik killed 77 people in 2011. In a country with a small population like norway (5.4 million) that one event skews results.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well if those people didnt have a firearm, the would have to use less effective methods if they wanted to kill other people. So the net effect is less deaths. Guns help people kill people.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes. I also heard about it, not good rip, who else agrees with this saying that, guns dont kill people do?

Well if those people didnt have a firearm, the would have to use less effective methods if they wanted to kill other people. So the net effect is less deaths. Guns help people kill people."

Years ago I heard about a guy in Japan who went on a rampage with a pencil.

Imagine how many people would be alive if Americans went rampaging with pencils not guns.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"It will carry on until the end of time, American citizens will not give up their right to bare arms and nutters exist everywhere, i think as terrible as it is its part of that countries make up and so therefore an every day occurrence "

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I don't think many outside the US would argue with that, for a developed country. I have a fair few US contacts, most of whom are shooters, and they do not equate their ownership with actions of crazy people. Why should they?

When I get into discussions with them on this subject they talk against gun control, and I ask;

Do you think mentally disturbed people should have guns?

Do you think violent people should have guns?

Do you think known felons should have guns?

The answer to each is obviously no, so they do believe in gun control, just not for them personally because they can never envisage themselves doing anything bad with their guns. For the most part they are correct."

The issue is that mental illness, being violent and being a felon can happen to perfectly sane, peaceful, law abiding people at any time.

Not forgetting the fact that each and every gun ever manufactured was meant to be used lawfully and legally. Yet so many aren't.......... The term 'illegal gun'is commonly used but is in fact an oxymoron.

The solution seems pretty logical to anyone outside the USA.

A

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Yes. I also heard about it, not good rip, who else agrees with this saying that, guns dont kill people do?

Well if those people didnt have a firearm, the would have to use less effective methods if they wanted to kill other people. So the net effect is less deaths. Guns help people kill people.

Years ago I heard about a guy in Japan who went on a rampage with a pencil.

Imagine how many people would be alive if Americans went rampaging with pencils not guns."

Except John Wick.

A

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

"It's been all over the news since first thing this morning... Those poor babies

When's it ever going to end?

I think Americans* have repeatedly decided - and most emphatically since Sandy Hook - that they value their guns over their children's lives and mental health.

* As a collective, not all individual Americans"

If you look at the the data most Americans support more comprehensive gun controls....however many of their representatives are funded by the gun lobby and the the nature of the electoral system...means the majority are denied.

Reply privately

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

And our son was disciplined at school because he asked what would happen if there was a school shooting at his school. Now yes, I know we aren't America, but we thought it was a valid question.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I've become desensitised to it. It's tragic every time it happens but at this point it's just self inflicted because they could do something about it, they just choose not to

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've become desensitised to it. It's tragic every time it happens but at this point it's just self inflicted because they could do something about it, they just choose not to "

For me it's a bit like thinking about my grandfather, who has been gone for over a decade.

The heartache dulls but it never leaves me.

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Would you still be sending your children to school?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Would you still be sending your children to school? "

My dad actually had the opportunity to work in NYC. It would have been an incredible career move for him.

Guns were a large part of the reason he said no. He would not put his children through that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think this country would be worse if guns were legal

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

Gun control does differ by state...for example I've spent a fair bit of time in NYC and compared to some of the southern states...things are generally much safer. However if course people can still cross state lines, Like with sandy hook.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Gun control does differ by state...for example I've spent a fair bit of time in NYC and compared to some of the southern states...things are generally much safer. However if course people can still cross state lines, Like with sandy hook."

I believe the Supreme Court recently relaxed gun restrictions in NYC.

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

"I think this country would be worse if guns were legal "

I don't know about worse, but we have a big enough problem with knife crime.

Replace them with guns and shootings would sky rocket

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think this country would be worse if guns were legal

Replace them with guns and shootings would sky rocket "

Yeah. Same thrust as my comment about pencils above.

If all people who go on to kill people with guns only had knives, a lot more people would be alive. (Not as many as if they only had pencils!)

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Very sad

Yep.

But hey. Guns...........

A

Norway — 1.888

Serbia — 0.381

France — 0.347

Macedonia — 0.337

Albania — 0.206

Slovakia — 0.185

Switzerland — 0.142

Finland — 0.132

Belgium — 0.128

Czech Republic — 0.123

United States — 0.089

Austria — 0.068

Netherlands — 0.051

Canada — 0.032

England — 0.027

Germany — 0.023

Russia — 0.012

Italy — 0.009"

I'm guessing those stats gave been copied from the NRA or similar. Because in what way are heads of population relevant unless it is to attempt to distort and diminish the figures.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've become desensitised to it. It's tragic every time it happens but at this point it's just self inflicted because they could do something about it, they just choose not to "

This. Not to lessen the loss of life but I saw it on the news and it didn't even register as a shock or oh my god what's happened. It happens far too often, and it'll carry on happening.

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Replace them with guns and shootings would sky rocket

Yeah. Same thrust as my comment about pencils above.

If all people who go on to kill people with guns only had knives, a lot more people would be alive. (Not as many as if they only had pencils!)"

Exactly that.

Reply privately

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

Does everyone remember when Obama barrack made that tearful speech, nee plea, to the American people? I’ve never seen a politician so unequivocally saddened and angered by something happening in a country he (or she) leads and feeling they can do nothing about it.

His frustration at the system was palpable.

To pick up on a previous couple of points (which I didn’t reply + quote because they’re already so long):

Yes, conceptually, it is people who kill not guns. That’s because a gun is an inanimate object. But the fact is that person had possession of a lethal weapon and used it as such. The gun becomes animate in the person’s hands. Of course they could knife/batter their victims, but not en masse to such an extent.

And if I went to Belgium just once and killed 100 people, that will equate to a lesser percentage than if I did it in America. But it’s still 100 human beings unlawfully killed. I agree with posters above that statistics can dilute/mask the scale of the problem.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Unfortunately the trans Community will cop the flack in America for this"

Not just in America, there are sections of the British media already using this to push their anti-trans agenda.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Unfortunately the trans Community will cop the flack in America for this

Not just in America, there are sections of the British media already using this to push their anti-trans agenda.

"

Yeah, it's a worrying trajectory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The tragic shooting is why I carry everyday.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The tragic shooting is why I carry everyday."

You carry a colt 45?

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

"Gun control does differ by state...for example I've spent a fair bit of time in NYC and compared to some of the southern states...things are generally much safer. However if course people can still cross state lines, Like with sandy hook.

I believe the Supreme Court recently relaxed gun restrictions in NYC."

That could very well be correct...now it's packed with republicans...

Reply privately

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

It will never stop!

-An American president was shot & nothing has changed,

-A church congregation was shot & nothing changed,

-Movie goers where shot & nothing has changed,

- Must be over a hundred school shootings now & still nothing has changed.

There will be another school shooting again tomorrow, next week, next month & next year and guess what?

Nothing Is Gonna Change because they don’t want it to change

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

The answer to a gun problem...will never be more guns

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So apparently yesterday there was the 89th school shooting of 2023 in the USA.

And I didn't even know it had happened as it seems not to have popped up on any of my news feeds yesterday. Maybe it's reached the point where they're not even deemed newsworthy anymore, but WTAF??

More than one a day.

A"

A lot of you would know that my school 6 weeks ago became part of this unfortunate statistic, Michigan State University…

The only thing I can tell you is for as bad as this statistic is… when it’s your school going through it, you know people who have kids there, and when they are talking about specific places and buildings and you can visualise the campus… it’s a whole lot worse!

3 kids died… another 5 were shot

Unfortunately the day they decided to do nothing after 20 5 year olds died at sandy hook elementary, that was the day all reasonable conversation about gun legislation went with it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The tragic shooting is why I carry everyday.

The answer to a gun problem...will never be more guns "

When a man sticks a gun in yer face, you got two choices; you can die or you can KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

More than one a day.

A

A lot of you would know that my school 6 weeks ago became part of this unfortunate statistic, Michigan State University…

The only thing I can tell you is for as bad as this statistic is… when it’s your school going through it, you know people who have kids there, and when they are talking about specific places and buildings and you can visualise the campus… it’s a whole lot worse!

Unfortunately the day they decided to do nothing after 20 5 year olds died at sandy hook elementary, that was the day all reasonable conversation about gun legislation went with it "

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When a man sticks a gun in yer face, you got two choices; you can die or you can KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER"

When I was taught harm reduction/ self defence, I was taught that if someone puts a gun in your face, you give them what they want and get out with your motherfucking life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When a man sticks a gun in yer face, you got two choices; you can die or you can KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER

When I was taught harm reduction/ self defence, I was taught that if someone puts a gun in your face, you give them what they want and get out with your motherfucking life."

What even if someone is mass shooting everyone on sight ? What you gonna give then, your life ?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When I was taught harm reduction/ self defence, I was taught that if someone puts a gun in your face, you give them what they want and get out with your motherfucking life.

What even if someone is mass shooting everyone on sight ? What you gonna give then, your life ?"

As I was raised in Australia, I was hardly taught to anticipate a mass shooting. It was... let's say "women's self defence". Value life over your wallet or... anything else.

If someone is coming at me with an assault rifle and all they want to do is kill me, I run and hide. I don't get big dick bravado and think I can do anything to stop them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You carry a colt 45? "

G 19 hubby carries a kimber 45.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What even if someone is mass shooting everyone on sight ? What you gonna give then, your life ?

As I was raised in Australia, I was hardly taught to anticipate a mass shooting. It was... let's say "women's self defence". Value life over your wallet or... anything else.

If someone is coming at me with an assault rifle and all they want to do is kill me, I run and hide. I don't get big dick bravado and think I can do anything to stop them."

Okay Sheila but I thought this forum was about mass shootings.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

If someone is coming at me with an assault rifle and all they want to do is kill me, I run and hide. I don't get big dick bravado and think I can do anything to stop them.

"

"When a man sticks a gun in your face". To quote you.

If a mass shooter has got a gun in my face it's too late. They won't even get that close, I'd be dead by then.

I hope I'd have some warning.

And I'm profoundly grateful that I live in a country where that kind of bravado is almost certainly going to be unnecessary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You carry a colt 45? G 19 hubby carries a kimber 45."

God damn! Only in America

Reply privately

over a year ago

If a mass shooter has got a gun in my face it's too late. They won't even get that close, I'd be dead by then.

And I'm profoundly grateful that I live in a country where that kind of bravado is almost certainly going to be unnecessary."

Throw another shrimp on the barbie and chill out

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Ahhh yes, because the logical answer to a gun problem is clearly more guns...

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And I'm profoundly grateful that I live in a country where that kind of bravado is almost certainly going to be unnecessary.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie and chill out "

Do you have a point or are you just going to quote Paul Hogan at me?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Ahhh yes, because the logical answer to a gun problem is clearly more guns..."

That worked super duper well in Uvalde.

Reply privately

By *xydadbodMan
over a year ago

Milton keynes

It'll be forgotten by the national media quickly, but not because of that. It took just over a week for them to stop talking about the one that happened last month at the university that's in the next town over from me. That one got my nephew scared the most since his elementary school is not far from the university, it's to the point where he's asking his mom to have plans at home if someone comes into their home and shots them."

Thats actually quite heartbreaking that he is thinking that way though but even in schools in the UK today they are protocols in place to what to do if such an tragic event should occur. Its a scary world indeed

Reply privately

over a year ago

That worked super duper well in Uvalde."

Rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. How do you suggest getting every single firearm off of all the citizens?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Throw another shrimp on the barbie and chill out

Do you have a point or are you just going to quote Paul Hogan at me?"

Colt 45 and two Zig-Zags, baby, that's all we need

We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumble.

That's about all I have to say to you

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

That worked super duper well in Uvalde. Rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. How do you suggest getting every single firearm off of all the citizens?"

Dunno. I'm glad I'm not in that situation. Militarised police is going so well, isn't it? We should ask all the kids at Uvalde that they saved, yeah?

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

A) so condescending you actually made me angry

B) if you want to know what it’s like watching your school go through this for 4 hrs..on every channel, and going through the school message boards and WhatsApp groups trying to find out if kids you know are okay… as an adult I’ll absolutely have that conversation with you…..

I can’t think of 4 hours in my life that have felt longer, and you feel so helpless…

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ahhh yes, because the logical answer to a gun problem is clearly more guns..."

Well I wish I had a gun if someone was going around shooting.

Obviously the best solution is no guns at all, but that isn't happening

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

B) if you want to know what it’s like watching your school go through this for 4 hrs..on every channel, and going through the school message boards and WhatsApp groups trying to find out if kids you know are okay… as an adult I’ll absolutely have that conversation with you…..

I can’t think of 4 hours in my life that have felt longer, and you feel so helpless…"

I am so sorry

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I can’t think of 4 hours in my life that have felt longer, and you feel so helpless…"

I apologise about that. I'm sorry I understand where you are coming from with that.

I just about had enough of her, always coming across to me as if she wants an argument in the forums.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Obviously the best solution is no guns at all, but that isn't happening "

Our “shooter” first went into Berkey hall.. that is normal the building where they have business classes.. the only grace we had is that it was later in the evening so all the rooms on the bottom floor were empty… but there were still late classes going on on the first floor…….

He killed 1 student in there and then left….

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I can’t think of 4 hours in my life that have felt longer, and you feel so helpless…

I apologise about that. I'm sorry I understand where you are coming from with that.

I just about had enough of her, always coming across to me as if she wants an argument in the forums."

He then went one block up the street to Phillips hall…. Phillips hall is basically the name for the student union building.. and that was rammed

He took a few steps through the door and basically started spraying the place, 2 people killed there…. Another 5 shot seriously….

He then walked out of that building…..

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Then the manhunt began…. By that point everyone had gotten phone alerts advising them of an active shooter… and to stay in place and hide! … on his route he actually passed a few frat houses and college dorms that if he known.. I am sure he would have taken more shots…..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I just about had enough of her, always coming across to me as if she wants an argument in the forums.

He then went one block up the street to Phillips hall…. Phillips hall is basically the name for the student union building.. and that was rammed

He took a few steps through the door and basically started spraying the place, 2 people killed there…. Another 5 shot seriously….

He then walked out of that building….."

I haven't seen this yet. This forum was the first I heard about it. I will Google it.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Now…. If anyone wants to make light of it… have at it… mock, laugh, be my guest!!! You are talking about real humans… you may be detached watching it on a tv… but when its people and places you know! It doesn’t get more real….

And with that… I am damn well done with this thread!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Now…. If anyone wants to make light of it… have at it… mock, laugh, be my guest!!! You are talking about real humans… you may be detached watching it on a tv… but when its people and places you know! It doesn’t get more real….

And with that… I am damn well done with this thread!"

Look after yourself.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Sorry I didn’t realise you were in lansing… as you are aware now I am MSU alum

Most people won’t realise we are talking about the same event, I am glad there are two different perspectives on that same night now

Reply privately

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

Obviously the best solution is no guns at all, but that isn't happening "

Maybe a good start would be proper gun controls with appropriate licensing, proper background checks, banning assault rifles along with a gun amnesty...

Reply privately

over a year ago

When I was taught harm reduction/ self defence, I was taught that if someone puts a gun in your face, you give them what they want and get out with your motherfucking life."

Not so effective when an active shooter just wants you to die..

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Not so effective when an active shooter just wants you to die.."

Keep reading

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe a good start would be proper gun controls with appropriate licensing, proper background checks, banning assault rifles along with a gun amnesty...

"

We have all that and yet we still get incidents. Not on the same scale I grant you, but it can never be perfect. It would be better if you were starting from scratch but the US is awash with lawfully owned guns.

Any US president could use an executive order to at least make a start, but they won't. No moral courage and the enormity of the task.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

We have all that and yet we still get incidents. Not on the same scale I grant you, but it can never be perfect. It would be better if you were starting from scratch but the US is awash with lawfully owned guns.

Any US president could use an executive order to at least make a start, but they won't. No moral courage and the enormity of the task."

It would take moral courage beyond any so-called "leader" I see anywhere, but the only way to solve any problem is step at a time.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

That worked super duper well in Uvalde. Rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. How do you suggest getting every single firearm off of all the citizens?"

Have you ever needed it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

That worked super duper well in Uvalde. Rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. How do you suggest getting every single firearm off of all the citizens?

Have you ever needed it?

"

Yes my neighbors X husband was beating the daylights out of her. The threat of me pointing it at him ended the situation until the cops came. Held him at gunpoint. I am 5'2 should I have waited until the cops showed up ?

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

My brother lives in America and he went out one night to a local bar with his mates all amateur boxers(heavyweights) a guy in the bar took exception to their humour i guess he left the bar but waited outside when my brother and his friends left the guy followed them home and while they were in living room the guy fired several shots through the window, he luckily didn't hit anyone but nevertheless a pretty dangerous situation, in our bars a punch up would have ensued but in America gun culture rules

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any US president could use an executive order to at least make a start, but they won't. No moral courage and the enormity of the task."

That and gun purchases have been trending upwards since the start of the pandemic and political unrest. During the pandemic we went to our local gun shop right before lockdown it was crazy. I never seen so many people there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/03/23 22:29:40]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any US president could use an executive order to at least make a start, but they won't. No moral courage and the enormity of the task. That and gun purchases have been trending upwards since the start of the pandemic and political unrest. During the pandemic we went to our local gun shop right before lockdown it was crazy. I never seen so many people there. "

I saw this on the news at the start of corona people in USA were lining the streets outside gun shops.

Reply privately

By *ittlemiss1985Woman
over a year ago

Lansing

More than one a day.

A

Unfortunately the day they decided to do nothing after 20 5 year olds died at sandy hook elementary, that was the day all reasonable conversation about gun legislation went with it "

And there was a kid from Oxford High School too, even wearing an Oxford Strong sweatshirt that night from what I saw on the news. And the shooter walked passed my ex's place and was found a mile from my place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any US president could use an executive order to at least make a start, but they won't. No moral courage and the enormity of the task. That and gun purchases have been trending upwards since the start of the pandemic and political unrest. During the pandemic we went to our local gun shop right before lockdown it was crazy. I never seen so many people there.

I saw this on the news at the start of corona people in USA were lining the streets outside gun shops. "

I agree with better gun control. The pandemic kinda was a awakening. People purchasing weapons with no clue. Buying certain firearms that they shouldn't have. Because it's trendy. It drove me insane. Then people wonder why certain ones are used. It's usually glorified media stupidity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The worse shooting was perpetrated by handguns in the US. So why the AR ban again? Because it looks scary ? I see people commenting all the time about the evil AR . Yet... Nothing about the handguns why is that ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry I am a a huge 2A advocate. Like it or not my family comes first.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I jumped through all the federal and state laws. I practice 3 gun . Yet I am a villain. Weird.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"The right to bear arms and all the bullshit behind...

When you listen to the pro gun gang over there, words just fail me. Then there's the extortionate health care.

There's a lot wrong with this country but jeez America is in a big ol state. "

I read somewhere that the NRA is losing money very quickly, backers are dropping them, members are leaving in big enough numbers to be noticed.

The clip is an interesting watch, Obama on why they can't have gun control

https://youtu.be/6imFvSua3Kg

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

"The worse shooting was perpetrated by handguns in the US. So why the AR ban again? Because it looks scary ? I see people commenting all the time about the evil AR . Yet... Nothing about the handguns why is that ?"

Well, the general public have little to no use for an assault weapon that's capable of firing off hundreds of rounds per minute and has an effective range of a few hundred meters

A hand gun makes more sense as defensive weapon for the average citizen to carry.

A hand gun has less range and power and can't be sprayed at a crowd of people, it's still deadly but the damage that can be done with one when compared to an assault rifle is much less.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The worse shooting was perpetrated by handguns in the US. So why the AR ban again? Because it looks scary ? I see people commenting all the time about the evil AR . Yet... Nothing about the handguns why is that ?

Well, the general public have little to no use for an assault weapon that's capable of firing off hundreds of rounds per minute and has an effective range of a few hundred meters

A hand gun makes more sense as defensive weapon for the average citizen to carry.

A hand gun has less range and power and can't be sprayed at a crowd of people, it's still deadly but the damage that can be done with one when compared to an assault rifle is much less.

"

define a assault rifle then? Is a shotgun a assault rifle by definition?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The worse shooting was perpetrated by handguns in the US. So why the AR ban again? Because it looks scary ? I see people commenting all the time about the evil AR . Yet... Nothing about the handguns why is that ?

define a assault rifle then? Is a shotgun a assault rifle by definition? "

I have a vr80 for 3 gun is that a assault rifle ? It does a hell of a lot more damage compared to others. It looks like a AR but shotguns are acceptable. Weird .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Rifled barrel.

Capable of fully automatic fire.

Rifle rather than pistol calibre ammunition.

That might be an adequate working definition?

So not a shotgun

Reply privately

over a year ago

Rifled barrel.

So not a shotgun"

I can dump a 20 round mag with buckshot that will be more devastating then any other weapon. In a school shooting environment. Close quarters.

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

No a shotgun fires a cartridge that disperses the shot.

A rifle fires a bullet.

They are both long firearms, but they are different.

Reply privately

over a year ago

More than one a day.

A"

For so long as a populace values it's 'right' to bear arms over the rights of it's school children to go to survive a day at school I fear this will continue

Reply privately

By *iker and Mare!Couple
over a year ago

Torbay

I personally believe the right to bear arms, should be limited to more defensive weapons like a pistol.

But lets be clear, it was the mans mental illness that was the cause, not the gun.

Perhaps there's just more mental illness in the USA, because all they talk about is therapy and mental health. ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Rifled barrel.

So not a shotgun I can dump a 20 round mag with buckshot that will be more devastating then any other weapon. In a school shooting environment. Close quarters. "

I can shoot 9 to their 1 X 20

Reply privately

over a year ago

Rifled barrel.

So not a shotgun I can dump a 20 round mag with buckshot that will be more devastating then any other weapon. In a school shooting environment. Close quarters. "

I don't doubt it

I just thought my definition of an assault rifle was a pretty good answer to the question

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

More than one a day.

A

For so long as a populace values it's 'right' to bear arms over the rights of it's school children to go to survive a day at school I fear this will continue "

Agreed

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I personally believe the right to bear arms, should be limited to more defensive weapons like a pistol.

But lets be clear, it was the mans mental illness that was the cause, not the gun.

Perhaps there's just more mental illness in the USA, because all they talk about is therapy and mental health. ? "

But mental illness - firearm = less dead people

Guns don't kill people but guns really help people kill people

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I personally believe the right to bear arms, should be limited to more defensive weapons like a pistol.

Perhaps there's just more mental illness in the USA, because all they talk about is therapy and mental health. ?

Guns don't kill people but guns really help people kill people"

it is mental. I agree people as shouldn't have access to firearms if they are shown to have mental problems. I am a " law abiding" citizen. I would love better background checks delve deeper. I believe in red flag laws. We can't abolish all firearms because it would be a huge shit show. I give up mine lawfully do you think any criminal would reciprocate?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Guns don't kill people but guns really help people kill people it is mental. I agree people as shouldn't have access to firearms if they are shown to have mental problems. I am a " law abiding" citizen. I would love better background checks delve deeper. I believe in red flag laws. We can't abolish all firearms because it would be a huge shit show. I give up mine lawfully do you think any criminal would reciprocate? "

It's just something the UK population can't begin to fathom. If private ownership of firearms is so essential for defence, why are they so ineffective at stopping these atrocoties?

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Guns don't kill people but guns really help people kill people it is mental. I agree people as shouldn't have access to firearms if they are shown to have mental problems. I am a " law abiding" citizen. I would love better background checks delve deeper. I believe in red flag laws. We can't abolish all firearms because it would be a huge shit show. I give up mine lawfully do you think any criminal would reciprocate? "

Of course they wouldn't, but then again how many school shooters are criminals before they go and kill a bunch of teachers and children?

Removing the ability for normal (non criminals) to acquire guns would cut down on some gun crime.

I guess the biggest problem though is that guns are so ubiquitous across the states and surrounding countries that trying to abolish them now is a fairly hopeless endeavour.

But some sort of drastic change to the laws and distribution of fire arms must be put in place.

It will keep happening time and time again until a change is made

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am sure Pumpkin is the same as me in that this is not a dig or a condemnation of you, Blu. It's a desire to understand

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

"I am sure Pumpkin is the same as me in that this is not a dig or a condemnation of you, Blu. It's a desire to understand "

Completely agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am sure Pumpkin is the same as me in that this is not a dig or a condemnation of you, Blu. It's a desire to understand

Completely agree "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am sure Pumpkin is the same as me in that this is not a dig or a condemnation of you, Blu. It's a desire to understand

Completely agree

"

I agree too I try to enlightened but people go straight to what they are told by the media. I take no offense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can look it up if you don't believe. Handguns are the issue. Yet nothing said.

Reply privately

By *estrel girlWoman
over a year ago

Wokingham

"And our son was disciplined at school because he asked what would happen if there was a school shooting at his school. Now yes, I know we aren't America, but we thought it was a valid question."

I used to work in a primary school and they used to practice lockdown so if a shooter did get in (past all the coded doors) the school had a strategy

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Perhaps there's just more mental illness in the USA, because all they talk about is therapy and mental health. ? "

I think that gun ownership in Switzerland is very high yet you never here of massacres like that there.

This seems to be a USA problem?

Reply privately

over a year ago

So what is the solution? We are a gun society. Do we stop sending billions overseas to other nations or do we use those billions to strengthen school security.

Reply privately

By *he AmbassadorMan
over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

This problem wont be fixed until a shooter gets into a school where the top 1%ers kids go to school.

One of those kids gets wiped out then you will see a change, a simple start would be to stop the NRA lobbying, take away their power. Those opposing tighter gun laws aint doing so out of a die hard love of the 2nd ammendment, they do so because money is being put in their pocket.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So what is the solution? We are a gun society. Do we stop sending billions overseas to other nations or do we use those billions to strengthen school security. "

Maybe neither?

I have yet to hear a rational explanation as to why the 'rights to bear arms' needs to include military grade weapons, why it needs to be a right any more, and why the literally hundreds of mass shootings hasn't made the USA stop and think "Hey, maybe guns MIGHT be the problem.

If I decide go go on a killing spree armed with a vegetable peeler not many people will end up dead. Replace the vegetable peeler with an AR15 and a few spare magazines and I bet a few more will perish

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So what is the solution? We are a gun society. Do we stop sending billions overseas to other nations or do we use those billions to strengthen school security.

Maybe neither?

I have yet to hear a rational explanation as to why the 'rights to bear arms' needs to include military grade weapons, why it needs to be a right any more, and why the literally hundreds of mass shootings hasn't made the USA stop and think "Hey, maybe guns MIGHT be the problem.

If I decide go go on a killing spree armed with a vegetable peeler not many people will end up dead. Replace the vegetable peeler with an AR15 and a few spare magazines and I bet a few more will perish "

I just don't understand

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So what is the solution? We are a gun society. Do we stop sending billions overseas to other nations or do we use those billions to strengthen school security. "

You can strengthen school security. And tighten gun laws.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So what is the solution? We are a gun society. Do we stop sending billions overseas to other nations or do we use those billions to strengthen school security.

You can strengthen school security. And tighten gun laws."

I can't see why talk about sending billions over seas to other nations.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe neither?

If I decide go go on a killing spree armed with a vegetable peeler not many people will end up dead. Replace the vegetable peeler with an AR15 and a few spare magazines and I bet a few more will perish

I just don't understand "

Why did you mention AR? I can do the same with pistols or a Ruger mini 14. Media attention?

Reply privately

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Maybe neither?

I just don't understand Why did you mention AR? I can do the same with pistols or a Ruger mini 14. Media attention? "

Jennie could have mentioned any gun and her point would still be valid.

ARs are a focal point as there is simply no reason for members of the public to own them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe neither?

I just don't understand Why did you mention AR? I can do the same with pistols or a Ruger mini 14. Media attention? "

I can't see how you could. That's like me saying I can do the same with my 2.2 pellet gun as I can do with my 12bore shot gun. It's chalk and cheese.

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

A man in Russia stormed a school in September killing 17 children injuring another 22.

Gun crime murders in Russia is worse than the states, partly because it's a bigger country but we are more focused on the west.

I don't know what the answer is. Is mental health programs underfunded and those that do need help break before we notice.

We have had some of the worst child killers in this country.

Children and young adults die from knife crime here, everyday it seems London is in the news about a fatal stabbing.

Police cannot be everywhere and wasn't it only recently a lot of mayors in the states defunded the police?

Can we trust our police after recent events like the met here in London to keep us safe?

It's worrying and I hope we do not become a gun society because them stabbings will be replaced by bullets and then we will be the world focus.

Look after each other

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A man in Russia stormed a school in September killing 17 children injuring another 22.

Gun crime murders in Russia is worse than the states, partly because it's a bigger country but we are more focused on the west.

I don't know what the answer is. Is mental health programs underfunded and those that do need help break before we notice.

Children and young adults die from knife crime here, everyday it seems London is in the news about a fatal stabbing.

Police cannot be everywhere and wasn't it only recently a lot of mayors in the states defunded the police?

Can we trust our police after recent events like the met here in London to keep us safe?

It's worrying and I hope we do not become a gun society because them stabbings will be replaced by bullets and then we will be the world focus.

Look after each other

"

I can't see what being a big country has to do with it. USA has way more than double the population of Russia.

The UK is not going to become a gun society.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A man in Russia stormed a school in September killing 17 children injuring another 22.

Look after each other

I can't see what being a big country has to do with it. USA has way more than double the population of Russia.

The UK is not going to become a gun society. "

the difference is guns have been around since our inception in 1776. It's a normality. The pandemic proved that. People just want to have individual protection from threats.

Reply privately

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Look after each other

The UK is not going to become a gun society. the difference is guns have been around since our inception in 1776. It's a normality. The pandemic proved that. People just want to have individual protection from threats."

you do realise that the rest of the world have threats aswell but the difference is we have gun laws that prevents the nutters getting guns to carry out those threats. 133 mass shootings in America in 2023. 102 mass shootings in Europe since 2000. We have gun laws.

Reply privately

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Don’t know why people are shocked. Bullied children and readily available weapons. What do you expect.

The mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unfortunately for the USA, it’s just history continuously repeating themselves. The odds of being shot in a school, is alarming.

Doesn’t help, when you’ve massive organisations and politicians over there funding millions / if not billions into promoting the “ we should have guns to keep us safe - blah blah blah “

Reply privately

over a year ago

More than one a day.

A"

Shocking, especially the CCTV footage.

I do not see anything changing as it is a part of their constitution to bare arms, and many would see it as an attack on their rights.

But something has to give,

Reply privately

By *lay 4 uMan
over a year ago

bolton

No matter what laws are brought in there are so many guns out there in USA nothing will change. Any madman /woman can get hold of firearms sadly nothing will change.

Reply privately

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

"

I just about had enough of her, always coming across to me as if she wants an argument in the forums."

If you had the facts and rhetorical ability to win the argument with her you would have done so. You didn't, and you lashed out, piggybacking on a thread about murdered children so that you could bring out your tired insults about Australians.

Perhaps that makes you proud, or happy. I don't pretend to understand the psychology of creatures like you.

Reply privately

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

How old was they ? Was it a student

Reply privately

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"I dare say they will all be clamouring for Trump to come back and sort out the mess."

If he doesn't get presidency next year we're fucked .. there will be a dramatic change if he gets it it will stop all the plans in place .. if he doesn't .. get ready

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why schools though I don't get it if you had. Problem with government or anything why would you shoot up a school

Reply privately

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Why schools though I don't get it if you had. Problem with government or anything why would you shoot up a school "

The kid must of had some severe issues

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think this country would be worse if guns were legal "

They are. We just have strict laws on how they're obtained, kept and the types allowed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why schools though I don't get it if you had. Problem with government or anything why would you shoot up a school "

Was a pupil at the school in the past, no idea why he came back, but he was a pupil there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Look after each other

The UK is not going to become a gun society. the difference is guns have been around since our inception in 1776. It's a normality. The pandemic proved that. People just want to have individual protection from threats."

I was wondering about the right to bare arms, did that come to be as a means to hold government to account? if they started to take the mick.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"You can look it up if you don't believe. Handguns are the issue. Yet nothing said. "
All guns are the issue for us but its far too late now to stop gun crime in the USA their are so many guns available and circulating, what good would restricting the use of one or the other be....... Absolutely no use at all. A gun in the use of a sane person is bad enough because still somebody could potentially be killed but a gun in the hands of somebody mentally unstable is catastrophic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You can look it up if you don't believe. Handguns are the issue. Yet nothing said. "

I would think that whilst handguns are used in most shootings, they are probably largely criminal on criminal, or used by criminals in robbery/assault type offences. Criminals favour handguns as they are easily concealable. These active shooters don't care about concealment once they start shooting.

Criminals will always be able to access guns. Most of these active shooters obtained their guns lawfully, despite their mental state. I believe long guns are easier to lawfully acquire in most states?

Reply privately

By *amnaughtybutniceWoman
over a year ago

tf1

"Now…. If anyone wants to make light of it… have at it… mock, laugh, be my guest!!! You are talking about real humans… you may be detached watching it on a tv… but when its people and places you know! It doesn’t get more real….

And with that… I am damn well done with this thread!"

Hugs

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"I dare say they will all be clamouring for Trump to come back and sort out the mess.

If he doesn't get presidency next year we're fucked .. there will be a dramatic change if he gets it it will stop all the plans in place .. if he doesn't .. get ready "

I mean based on his last presidency, whst do you think he will achieve?

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are. We just have strict laws on how they're obtained, kept and the types allowed."

Just under 700,000 people in the UK would agree with you...

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

I was wondering about the right to bare arms, did that come to be as a means to hold government to account? if they started to take the mick."

Have you been on the Dubai thread?

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

What better way of protecting yourself than killing someone?

Got to be simpler than all the alternatives!

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

They are. We just have strict laws on how they're obtained, kept and the types allowed."

How many legally owned and registered guns are used to commit crimes.?

Reply privately

By *bi Haive OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Look after each other

Guns were around in the UK until private ownership of some types was largely made illegal and the rest heavily restricted and licenced.

That argument doesn't really hold water I'm afraid.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/03/23 10:54:25]

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are. We just have strict laws on how they're obtained, kept and the types allowed.

How many legally owned and registered guns are used to commit crimes.? "

Virtually all the shootings are by people with legally held guns.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Virtually all the shootings are by people with legally held guns."

Why have an illegal gun in the US when it's so easy to buy one legally,you don't know the illegal guns history

Reply privately

over a year ago

Virtually all the shootings are by people with legally held guns.

Why have an illegal gun in the US when it's so easy to buy one legally,you don't know the illegal guns history "

Sorry, I was referring to UK shootings.

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many legally owned and registered guns are used to commit crimes.? "

There are @1.8 million legally owned guns in the UK. Over the last 10 years, less than thirty of them have been used in crime by their owners. Mostly shotguns, a few rifles.

We average @20 firearms deaths per year, mostly gang related and rarely involving the use of lawfully held guns.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Guns don't kill people

Guns make killing people extremely easy

What's the benefit versus the cost of them being legal? (Cars make killing people extremely easy too but their benefit is more clear)

To what extent do we want a militarised police system to deal with an armed population, and what knock on effects does that have for safety?

One day the US will probably have to do some of the hard work, either recognising that "militia" does not mean packing heat while buying Cheetos, or turning their culture around. It's not like they've ever tried to use their power, hard and soft, to influence other people's cultures So cultures can change.

I think the safety of small children to go to school and not be slaughtered is more sacred than owning weapons of war. I think a culture that disagrees with that is fundamentally unwell.

Reply privately