Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Pre Payment Meters

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The Energy Companies have to go in front of a commitee to explain why they are putting vulnerable people onto pre payment meters.

Seems they have not been following the rules regarding vulnerable people and forcibly switching them regardless.

The energy companies are making massive profits currently however, they are not charities so if a vulnerable person can't pay their bills and the government doesnt want them placed on a pre payment meter, who should be responsible for paying the debt they will create.

I dont have a problem with the principle of pre payment meters. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the price per unit of energy is so much higher.

They are often refered to as pay as you go meters but the fact is they arn't, you have to buy the energy in advance.

surely paying for your energy up front should be cheaper.

I'd prefer to see the energy companies justify the higher charge for pre payment against credit.

If a household needs to be put on a pre payment meter then their charge per unit should at the very least remain the same or else there should be a social tarrif that they can be placed on.

The dedt they already have should be recovered over the summer months by levying a higher price per unit charge which should be removed again during the winter.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have pre payment meters for both gas and electric and to be honest I’ve been really grateful for it over the past few months while everyone else I know has had their direct debits doubled

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

The thing that worries me most about the pre payment meter scandal is the fact that the courts have been signing off bulk applications for forceable entry into homes rather than considering each application. I totally get that the courts are being overwhelmed but courts cannot just abdicate any responsibility for checking whether forcing someone into a pre payment meter is justified.

I think if energy companies were forced to ensure that pre payment applications to the court also meant that they had to charge the lowest possible price for that customer then you would see a dramatic drop in forced meters applications.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I have pre payment meters for both gas and electric and to be honest I’ve been really grateful for it over the past few months while everyone else I know has had their direct debits doubled "

Our electricity is on one and we cancelled the DD on the gas and started paying for what we use and I'm much happier than that with the huge DDs and credits people are building up

By *olf and RedCouple
over a year ago

Nr Cardiff or at Chams Darlaston

Pre payment meters have been an issue way before the energy crisis. They used to charge more per unit than credit meters, I don’t think that’s permitted now, as it was penalising the poor.

The energy companies have funds that can be accessed to help pay off a large debt, but this doesn’t often work with pre-payment meters as you can’t run up a debt. The issue has been when someone has a big debt they’ve been going in and changing the meter from credit to pre-payment. Then putting the debt onto that meter, so each time it’s topped up , they lose loads in paying the debt off.

They should have been working with customers and signposting them to agencies who can help.

And British Gas - well you can’t get through to them. They expect everyone to chat online , many people don’t understand how to do this. It excludes many elderly and vulnerable customers who need help the most.

Red

By *altyMouthsCouple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"The thing that worries me most about the pre payment meter scandal is the fact that the courts have been signing off bulk applications for forceable entry into homes rather than considering each application. I totally get that the courts are being overwhelmed but courts cannot just abdicate any responsibility for checking whether forcing someone into a pre payment meter is justified.

"

This has been going on long before the courts were overwhelmed.

Council tax arrears are rubber stamped too. Nobody looks at the amount, just that it is claimed to be due. You can pay your entire year's CT upfront but if it’s even a little late, the 10% statutory charge is put through to sheriff officers (similar to bailiffs)

It happens with lots of charges and a "court" never even looks, they just waive it through trusting either a Council or energy company's figures

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"The thing that worries me most about the pre payment meter scandal is the fact that the courts have been signing off bulk applications for forceable entry into homes rather than considering each application. I totally get that the courts are being overwhelmed but courts cannot just abdicate any responsibility for checking whether forcing someone into a pre payment meter is justified.

This has been going on long before the courts were overwhelmed.

Council tax arrears are rubber stamped too. Nobody looks at the amount, just that it is claimed to be due. You can pay your entire year's CT upfront but if it’s even a little late, the 10% statutory charge is put through to sheriff officers (similar to bailiffs)

It happens with lots of charges and a "court" never even looks, they just waive it through trusting either a Council or energy company's figures"

12 years ago I worked in debt recovery for a utilities company. The court part of the process was viewed as a formality, it wasn't even an option thar they'd refuse it

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

My standing charge for gas on my pre payment is 37.5p a day. £120+ a year before you use any Gas. Disgusting really.

I'm taking a case against them to Ofgem next week over a debt they imposed on my meter which they admit they shouldn't of. British Gas are a shambles.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

When I moved into my flat, the meter was pre-payment and I thought it was a fantastic system however, the charges were too high so I had it changed to credit.

If the price per unit was the same as credit I would switch back and pay my energy up front.

Post new Message to Thread