Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

joe lycett shreding money

Jump to newest

By *asterR and slut maya OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Considering all the people in need that could have used it .if its real .but self publicly. He easy make back with the fees for interviews by press around the world and advert profits from his channel .

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

It is a bit pointless, are people to make "or else" threats of celebs to get their way. If it's on Beckham's head for promoting the cup the it's on all supporters heads for going over, any pundit, and anybody watching it.

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"It is a bit pointless, are people to make "or else" threats of celebs to get their way. If it's on Beckham's head for promoting the cup the it's on all supporters heads for going over, any pundit, and anybody watching it. "

Which is why I shall not be watching any of it at all, not a single tv clip. I don't want to know who wins, I don't want to know the result of a single match. As far as I am concerned this whole event brings nothing but shame upon every country and every person associated with it.

If people want fair and decent football in the future, the best thing they can do is hope for this world cup to be an utter failure and for fifa to be forced to disband. Only then could a new, honest, international football organisation rise from the ashes.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"It is a bit pointless, are people to make "or else" threats of celebs to get their way. If it's on Beckham's head for promoting the cup the it's on all supporters heads for going over, any pundit, and anybody watching it.

Which is why I shall not be watching any of it at all, not a single tv clip. I don't want to know who wins, I don't want to know the result of a single match. As far as I am concerned this whole event brings nothing but shame upon every country and every person associated with it.

If people want fair and decent football in the future, the best thing they can do is hope for this world cup to be an utter failure and for fifa to be forced to disband. Only then could a new, honest, international football organisation rise from the ashes."

Where there's big money there will be corruption.

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

He should have given the money to charity. I agree with his reasons though

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I never heard of him before all this malarkey

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"He should have given the money to charity. I agree with his reasons though "

Yeah, he does some good stuff but I don't think he'll come off looking too good if he does shred it

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Seems he's already shredded it

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

People seem more outraged about Joe Lycett (allegedly) shredding £10k of his own money and prompting a shedload of discussion than Beckham taking £10 million and all the other people profiting from a regime where homosexuality is illegal and can be punished by death.

Interesting priorities

Reply privately

By *rixie_BlondeWoman
over a year ago

London (She/Her)

It’s not pointless, it has us talking about it and Beckham’s refusal to engage

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"People seem more outraged about Joe Lycett (allegedly) shredding £10k of his own money and prompting a shedload of discussion than Beckham taking £10 million and all the other people profiting from a regime where homosexuality is illegal and can be punished by death.

Interesting priorities "

How do you arrive at that conclusion? The media's been Wall to wall for weeks about how the lgbtq world are offended because they aren't going to be allowed to have sex in public in Qatar while watching the football.

No idea what lycett is on about. Can't stand the bloke. But the beat down on Qatar has been going full strength for a long time now.

Priority wise. If people don't feel safe in Qatar. Then don't go.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bradford

"It’s not pointless, it has us talking about it and Beckham’s refusal to engage "

We are not talking about Beckham

He does what he does as all who take dubious money and the list is a long one.

.we are talking Joe lysett

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"The media's been Wall to wall for weeks about how the lgbtq world are offended because they aren't going to be allowed to have sex in public in Qatar while watching the football.

"

I'm not sure if that's an attempt at humour? Or pretty unpleasant homophobia?

Either way we both know it doesn't reflect the LGBTQIA+ community being told to appear more acceptable or in other words less gay and more straight if they are attending?

Reply privately

By *rixie_BlondeWoman
over a year ago

London (She/Her)

"It’s not pointless, it has us talking about it and Beckham’s refusal to engage

.we are talking Joe lysett "

Lycett is the focus of the conversation, yes, but Beckham has now been mentioned 5 times so he is certainly included within this thread. As he would be, as Lycett’s actions were directed towards Beckham

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Lycett is the focus of the conversation, yes, but Beckham has now been mentioned 5 times so he is certainly included within this thread. As he would be, as Lycett’s actions were directed towards Beckham "

Exactly, you cant talk about lycett shredding the cash and exclude Beckham from the discussion

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bradford

Lycett is the focus of the conversation, yes, but Beckham has now been mentioned 5 times so he is certainly included within this thread. As he would be, as Lycett’s actions were directed towards Beckham "

Fair enough thread go the way threads goes no matter what the op asks . as I said loads of celebrities take dubious money .

That's down to them its nosence to think what ever Joe lysett does would make any different to David Beckham .apart from he now get protester turning now and then hes out about in public .but my interest in this stupid stunt by Joe lysett he could protest in other ways burning money in these times of hardship just shows how out of touch both of them are with reality if it was real money .but I bet he end up saying it was fake money or haveing to give that amount to charity as he be makeing loads more.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bradford

I started the thread I asked a question about Joe lysett.

Unless there a new rule on these forums that because you dont like the question asked .you then say I'll rephrase it for you and people can now discuss what you think .but that the way these forums work

You'll add your two penny worth fair thats fine .but don't tell what I can and can do when I'm asking

question .

Reply privately

By *hitehunter4bbcMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I started the thread I asked a question about Joe lysett.

Unless there a new rule on these forums that because you dont like the question asked .you then say I'll rephrase it for you and people can now discuss what you think .but that the way these forums work

You'll add your two penny worth fair thats fine .but don't tell what I can and can do when I'm asking

question . "

You will get this if you ask a question get used to it.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"People seem more outraged about Joe Lycett (allegedly) shredding £10k of his own money and prompting a shedload of discussion than Beckham taking £10 million and all the other people profiting from a regime where homosexuality is illegal and can be punished by death.

Interesting priorities "

Hardly...what you describe has been discussed for weeks. People can think and talk about more than one thing

To the OP, I don't know what Joe Lycett was trying to achieve, if Beckham thought it a good idea to take the money I doubt if he would be swayed not to by a man saying he will shred 10k

I personally think shredding money ( if it was real) is a waste

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bradford

I'm very used to it in threads people adding their point of view .that's all good .but don't tell me what I can and can't do .when it comes to the question I've asked in the first place . I've engage on the subject that celebrities take dubious money .

Reply privately

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

It's a publicity stunt. Why pick on Beckham? He's as entitled to ply his trade at the WC as much as the footballers, coaches, media circus, ice cream salesmen ..........

Reply privately

over a year ago

He is very boring.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Complete waste of 10k that could have gone to people in need.

Shredding 10,000 pounds isn’t going to change the politics and views of Qatar.

Neither will it stop Beckham going to earn money.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"It's a publicity stunt. Why pick on Beckham? He's as entitled to ply his trade at the WC as much as the footballers, coaches, media circus, ice cream salesmen .........."

Maybe because Beckham has long been recognised as a massive ally of the LGBTQIA+ community and has been described as a gay icon?

Reply privately

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Interesting priorities

How do you arrive at that conclusion? The media's been Wall to wall for weeks about how the lgbtq world are offended because they aren't going to be allowed to have sex in public in Qatar while watching the football.

No idea what lycett is on about. Can't stand the bloke. But the beat down on Qatar has been going full strength for a long time now.

Priority wise. If people don't feel safe in Qatar. Then don't go. "

Why do people want to have sex at a football match anyway? I’m sure that’s illegal even in the uk. They should stick to Majorca and Blackpool for their holidays if they can’t behave properly

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

He might as well have burnt corn..

Reply privately

over a year ago

KLF burnt a million quid back in the day

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"It's a publicity stunt. Why pick on Beckham? He's as entitled to ply his trade at the WC as much as the footballers, coaches, media circus, ice cream salesmen ..........

Maybe because Beckham has long been recognised as a massive ally of the LGBTQIA+ community and has been described as a gay icon? "

But did Beckham ever claim to be those things himself?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"It's a publicity stunt. Why pick on Beckham? He's as entitled to ply his trade at the WC as much as the footballers, coaches, media circus, ice cream salesmen ..........

Maybe because Beckham has long been recognised as a massive ally of the LGBTQIA+ community and has been described as a gay icon?

But did Beckham ever claim to be those things himself? "

He said he was honoured to be considered a gay icon in at least one interview. He has shared multiple posts celebrating pride. He was a cover star on Attitude magazine.

Reply privately

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

The “do this or I will do this and I hope the media et all will see you as this” part of it all doesn’t sit well with me.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

But did Beckham ever claim to be those things himself?

He said he was honoured to be considered a gay icon in at least one interview. He has shared multiple posts celebrating pride. He was a cover star on Attitude magazine.

"

Fair enough. In that case so he is probably a bit of a hypocrite

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Jo Lycett has shot himself in the foot in my opinion. If he has genuinely shredded £10k he's laughed in the face of every person in this country worrying about heating their home or buying their kids a winter coat.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"It is a bit pointless, are people to make "or else" threats of celebs to get their way. If it's on Beckham's head for promoting the cup the it's on all supporters heads for going over, any pundit, and anybody watching it.

If people want fair and decent football in the future, the best thing they can do is hope for this world cup to be an utter failure and for fifa to be forced to disband. Only then could a new, honest, international football organisation rise from the ashes."

me neither although its on in the pub but I can't see the screen I'm having food and going

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Joe Lycett is a legend and this action has really raised the issue and gotten people talking.

Beckham is worth some £450,000,000 give or take, so I'm also puzzled why he's associating himself with an unsavoury regime that deny human rights to many.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Joe Lycett is a legend and this action has really raised the issue and gotten people talking.

Beckham is worth some £450,000,000 give or take, so I'm also puzzled why he's associating himself with an unsavoury regime that deny human rights to many. "

Aren't there 10 million reasons? For a few weeks work?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"The media's been Wall to wall for weeks about how the lgbtq world are offended because they aren't going to be allowed to have sex in public in Qatar while watching the football.

I'm not sure if that's an attempt at humour? Or pretty unpleasant homophobia?

Either way we both know it doesn't reflect the LGBTQIA+ community being told to appear more acceptable or in other words less gay and more straight if they are attending?

"

How does anyone know you're gay or straight unless you announce it? Have a listen to lianne sandersons views on it. Seem eminently sensible to me.

Reply privately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Not on the same level as the KLF tight bastard only shredding 10k on the plus side I now know who he is

Reply privately

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Maybe because Beckham has long been recognised as a massive ally of the LGBTQIA+ community and has been described as a gay icon? "

By the same token, a proportion of footballers, coaches etc will be gay. So again, why Beckham? It's online bullying sailing under the banner of wokeness.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Being bi if I went to Qatar would I get only half the amount of lashes?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

By the same token, a proportion of footballers, coaches etc will be gay. So again, why Beckham? It's online bullying sailing under the banner of wokeness."

I'm not sure highlighting hypocrisy is bullying? Or wokeness?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

By the same token, a proportion of footballers, coaches etc will be gay. So again, why Beckham? It's online bullying sailing under the banner of wokeness."

But there's the issue which goes way beyond Beckham and also encapsulates why Beckham is being criticised.

How many out gay professional footballers are there? Same question fir coaches? Zero? Single figures? It's pretty low all across the world.

And FIFA pay lip service to tackling homophobia but don't overly care abd then take backhanders to award the world Cup to country where homosexuality can be punished by death?

But Beckham is unusual in football, arguably unique on football that he is a very public and longstanding ally to the LGBTQIA+ community. Which is why he is being criticised and his refusal to even acknoeledge let alone explain thise concerns is why people are so annoyed and upset about it

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

And Joe Lycett?

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"And Joe Lycett? "

Shred ..with extreme prejudice...

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"And Joe Lycett?

Shred ..with extreme prejudice..."

Probably got a tour coming up and ticket sales are slow? Best 10k advertising budget he ever spent.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

It's his money to do what he wants with it. I'm sure a heck of alot of celebs are going spend way more than this on partying or holidays between now and christmas. Are we going say they're in the wrong because of the cost of living crisis?

He's known for protesting so this isn't that surprising. He's pansexual and calling drawing attention to something he feels strongly about, without harming or distributing others. I personally don't see the problem.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"And Joe Lycett?

Probably got a tour coming up and ticket sales are slow? Best 10k advertising budget he ever spent. "

A just completed arena tour suggests that's not the case...

I mean is it possible he actually cares about this?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"And Joe Lycett?

Probably got a tour coming up and ticket sales are slow? Best 10k advertising budget he ever spent.

I mean is it possible he actually cares about this?"

It's possible. If it wasn't an social media stunt it would be more credible.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I liken it to the wealthy yobs who set fire to £20 notes in front of a homeless man. Protest by all means but choose your method wisely

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm struggling to believe people actually think that was real money

Reply privately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"I'm struggling to believe people actually think that was real money "
well if it is wasn’t he’s going to look very silly and as for his timing with people struggling I think it was bad taste on the plus side I’m glad he took health and safety seriously and wore safety glasses

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I liken it to the wealthy yobs who set fire to £20 notes in front of a homeless man. Protest by all means but choose your method wisely "

How is it? The yobs are saying look at this money, do you want it? Yes? Haha I'll burnt it in your face, I'm so rich.

If he'd spent it on a 5 star holiday to the Maldives would be saying he was acting like the yobs? The yobs are mocking the homeless, Joe is protesting for something he believes in. May not agree with his methods but I don't think the two are comparable.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I liken it to the wealthy yobs who set fire to £20 notes in front of a homeless man. Protest by all means but choose your method wisely

How is it? The yobs are saying look at this money, do you want it? Yes? Haha I'll burnt it in your face, I'm so rich.

If he'd spent it on a 5 star holiday to the Maldives would be saying he was acting like the yobs? The yobs are mocking the homeless, Joe is protesting for something he believes in. May not agree with his methods but I don't think the two are comparable. "

Fair enough but I think he's as bad because he styles himself as standing up for people who have trouble making their voice heard. Destroying £10k real or not is laughing in some people's face in my opinion. He's wealthy enough to use £10k to make his point, lucky Jo

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I liken it to the wealthy yobs who set fire to £20 notes in front of a homeless man. Protest by all means but choose your method wisely

If he'd spent it on a 5 star holiday to the Maldives would be saying he was acting like the yobs? The yobs are mocking the homeless, Joe is protesting for something he believes in. May not agree with his methods but I don't think the two are comparable.

Fair enough but I think he's as bad because he styles himself as standing up for people who have trouble making their voice heard. Destroying £10k real or not is laughing in some people's face in my opinion. He's wealthy enough to use £10k to make his point, lucky Jo"

Imagine the response if someone else did it? Becks? Rishi? Ronaldo? Stormzy? Boris? Kate?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If he'd spent it on a 5 star holiday to the Maldives would be saying he was acting like the yobs? The yobs are mocking the homeless, Joe is protesting for something he believes in. May not agree with his methods but I don't think the two are comparable. "

That example is not comparable to shredding it either. Spending money on a holiday would put cash in the pocket of businesses and individuals so a positive use. Shredding it is a negative use.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Fair enough but I think he's as bad because he styles himself as standing up for people who have trouble making their voice heard. Destroying £10k real or not is laughing in some people's face in my opinion. He's wealthy enough to use £10k to make his point, lucky Jo"

Definitely he's lucky, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it. We urge celebrities to stand up for causes they believe in, put their money where their mouth is so to speak. Which he has done if it's real. Has he sparked more debate into human rights issues of the world cup in this stunt, Vs the amount would have been created if he paid a PR company? I guess in his mind he is helping those with less of a voice. I don't totally know where I stand completely in all honesty, but I can see valid points on both sides of the debate.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

That example is not comparable to shredding it either. Spending money on a holiday would put cash in the pocket of businesses and individuals so a positive use. Shredding it is a negative use."

Fair what about celebrities who probably waste that much money on illegal substances then? Who put money in the hands of those who have a negative impact on society as a whole.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Fair enough but I think he's as bad because he styles himself as standing up for people who have trouble making their voice heard. Destroying £10k real or not is laughing in some people's face in my opinion. He's wealthy enough to use £10k to make his point, lucky Jo

Definitely he's lucky, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it. We urge celebrities to stand up for causes they believe in, put their money where their mouth is so to speak. Which he has done if it's real. Has he sparked more debate into human rights issues of the world cup in this stunt, Vs the amount would have been created if he paid a PR company? I guess in his mind he is helping those with less of a voice. I don't totally know where I stand completely in all honesty, but I can see valid points on both sides of the debate. "

Do we really urge celebrities to do that?

I think most of us would rather they just shut up and we only heard from them when they are doing their actual jobs.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Definitely he's lucky, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it. We urge celebrities to stand up for causes they believe in, put their money where their mouth is so to speak. Which he has done if it's real. Has he sparked more debate into human rights issues of the world cup in this stunt, Vs the amount would have been created if he paid a PR company? I guess in his mind he is helping those with less of a voice. I don't totally know where I stand completely in all honesty, but I can see valid points on both sides of the debate.

I think most of us would rather they just shut up and we only heard from them when they are doing their actual jobs. "

Agree. I don't see anyone urging celebs to do anything other than go dating or escape from love Island.

I think we are in a phase where gesturing is considered the same as actually doing something and then we worship all their clicks and hashtags. There's no gesture anyone can make here that will make a jot of difference to anyone in Qatar. But because of the way media works.... Hes got a few more clicks and some people feel a bit better and vindicated.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I think most of us would rather they just shut up and we only heard from them when they are doing their actual jobs. "

That's personally not the kind of world I want to live in. That would mean I could only ever comment important things regarding my work. Not use my experience of domestic abuse etc to help others. I believe it's everyone's responsibility to stive for a better world for us to live in. But that's just me and I'm a simple person.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

I think most of us would rather they just shut up and we only heard from them when they are doing their actual jobs.

That's personally not the kind of world I want to live in. That would mean I could only ever comment important things regarding my work. Not use my experience of domestic abuse etc to help others. I believe it's everyone's responsibility to stive for a better world for us to live in. But that's just me and I'm a simple person. "

I would rather hear from you and other regular joe and joesephines than horrendous celebrities to be honest. I find them vile and sickening.

At least you and other working stiffs probably have genuine motives and arent in it for the clout

Reply privately

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

That's personally not the kind of world I want to live in. That would mean I could only ever comment important things regarding my work. Not use my experience of domestic abuse etc to help others. I believe it's everyone's responsibility to stive for a better world for us to live in. But that's just me and I'm a simple person.

I would rather hear from you and other regular joe and joesephines than horrendous celebrities to be honest. I find them vile and sickening.

At least you and other working stiffs probably have genuine motives and arent in it for the clout"

Exactly. Why do celebrities feel entitled to give us their opinion on every topic under the sun? They are no more qualified on most topics than your milkman or double glazing salesman

Reply privately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

At least you and other working stiffs probably have genuine motives and arent in it for the clout

Exactly. Why do celebrities feel entitled to give us their opinion on every topic under the sun? They are no more qualified on most topics than your milkman or double glazing salesman "

because they think they can gervais summed it up when he told them accept you’re award and fuck off you are in no position to lecture people or something similar

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

This is a great thread for identifying people who need blocking. Great stuff. Would read again.

Reply privately

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

At least you and other working stiffs probably have genuine motives and arent in it for the clout"

I get what you are saying, but I don't have the scope of some celebrities. And I'm in no way saying all of them are good. But I'm thinking of Lenny Henry and comic relief and Davina McCall highlighting the issue of the menopause. I do think they have a platform that non celebs don't have.

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Some interesting takes on this.

Especially, Joe Lycett shredding £10,000 to raise awareness is more bad than an already filthy rich person getting 1000 times that to give a dubious event credibility.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Some interesting takes on this.

Especially, Joe Lycett shredding £10,000 to raise awareness is more bad than an already filthy rich person getting 1000 times that to give a dubious event credibility."

I don't think it's worse. I do think that holding someone to ransom by saying you'll donate to charity if they do as you say or shred the money if they don't isn't exactly putting yourself in a good light.

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Who can highlight the needs of old men to fuck young women?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I get what you are saying, but I don't have the scope of some celebrities. And I'm in no way saying all of them are good. But I'm thinking of Lenny Henry and comic relief and Davina McCall highlighting the issue of the menopause. I do think they have a platform that non celebs don't have. "

I agree with that. The first of note for me was Bob geldof and feed the world. But pretty soon after celebs and agents realised they could use it for their own good. It's one thing raising money that goes to a cause and changes lives but the "hashtag awareness" bullshit that is much more prevalent now achieves little other than click for the celeb in many cases.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Who can highlight the needs of old men to fuck young women?"

Step outside and burn a fiver. You ll be golden.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Especially, Joe Lycett shredding £10,000 to raise awareness is more bad than an already filthy rich person getting 1000 times that to give a dubious event credibility.

I don't think it's worse. I do think that holding someone to ransom by saying you'll donate to charity if they do as you say or shred the money if they don't isn't exactly putting yourself in a good light. "

Also shredding money is going to change or stop Beckham going and getting paid or change the views of the Qatar government that’s the cold fact.

So Joe Lycett has just wasted 10k, when that could have gone to help people in need.

The whole world is already aware of the views and laws Qatar have, shredding money isn’t going to change anything.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I don't think it's worse. I do think that holding someone to ransom by saying you'll donate to charity if they do as you say or shred the money if they don't isn't exactly putting yourself in a good light.

Also shredding money is going to change or stop Beckham going and getting paid or change the views of the Qatar government that’s the cold fact.

So Joe Lycett has just wasted 10k, when that could have gone to help people in need.

The whole world is already aware of the views and laws Qatar have, shredding money isn’t going to change anything."

Apart from pr for Mr Lycett... So... Begs the question.

Reply privately

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

More money than sense.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

I do think that some of the people commenting atenit overly familiar with Lycett’s work. This is very much in keeping with his style.

I also can't help but think sone of the people arguing (leftwing?) comedians/celebrities shouldn't use their voice for their beliefs also aren't fans of cancel culture

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"I do think that some of the people commenting atenit overly familiar with Lycett’s work. This is very much in keeping with his style.

I also can't help but think sone of the people arguing (leftwing?) comedians/celebrities shouldn't use their voice for their beliefs also aren't fans of cancel culture"

Work?

Up at 6 digging holes?

More like mid afternoon ideas over tea and crumpet. We don't have to like the prick even if he didn't want to cancel us pub blokes.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"I do think that some of the people commenting atenit overly familiar with Lycett’s work. This is very much in keeping with his style.

I also can't help but think sone of the people arguing (leftwing?) comedians/celebrities shouldn't use their voice for their beliefs also aren't fans of cancel culture"

Are you a fan of cancel culture? Is anyone a fan of it??

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

I also can't help but think sone of the people arguing (leftwing?) comedians/celebrities shouldn't use their voice for their beliefs also aren't fans of cancel culture

Work?

Up at 6 digging holes?

More like mid afternoon ideas over tea and crumpet. We don't have to like the prick even if he didn't want to cancel us pub blokes."

I'm not sure what you mean by pub blokes but how is Lycett trying to cancel you?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Are you a fan of cancel culture? Is anyone a fan of it?? "

I don't believe there's such a thing as cancel culture, just a certain type pf person that does like being challenged or held accountable

Reply privately

over a year ago

He's an insignificant knob, I've never actually heard of him before this,give it to charity FFS

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

I don't believe there's such a thing as cancel culture, just a certain type pf person that does like being challenged or held accountable "

Im not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean 'doesnt'?

Anyway, regardless of that, if you cant see the blatant cancelling of people who dont toe the left wing party line, then fair enough, im not going to try to change your mind as we are miles apart.

Not even sure what cancel culture has to do with this thread anyway, unless you are suggesting we are in fact trying to cancel this comedian? If you are, you couldnt be more wrong. We just want him to do what he presumably does best ie comedy

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"He's an insignificant knob, I've never actually heard of him before this,give it to charity FFS"

And so his publicity stunt have worked very well for him. Because now you've heard of him.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

I don't believe there's such a thing as cancel culture, just a certain type pf person that does like being challenged or held accountable

Anyway, regardless of that, if you cant see the blatant cancelling of people who dont toe the left wing party line, then fair enough, im not going to try to change your mind as we are miles apart.

Not even sure what cancel culture has to do with this thread anyway, unless you are suggesting we are in fact trying to cancel this comedian? If you are, you couldnt be more wrong. We just want him to do what he presumably does best ie comedy"

Given we have an overwhelmingly right wing media and 12 years of tory rule, how does not toeing the left wing party line see people being cancelled? How do the left have the influence to do that?

But its interesting you don't want lycett to have a voice to say as he chooses but in the very same post bemoan other people not being able to say what they like...

What's also obvious is that you know nothing of Lycett as a comedian, this is a very typical lycett stunt, so whst exactly should he go back to doing?

Reply privately

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

He ain't funny.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Not even sure what cancel culture has to do with this thread anyway, unless you are suggesting we are in fact trying to cancel this comedian? If you are, you couldnt be more wrong. We just want him to do what he presumably does best ie comedy

Given we have an overwhelmingly right wing media and 12 years of tory rule, how does not toeing the left wing party line see people being cancelled? How do the left have the influence to do that?

But its interesting you don't want lycett to have a voice to say as he chooses but in the very same post bemoan other people not being able to say what they like...

What's also obvious is that you know nothing of Lycett as a comedian, this is a very typical lycett stunt, so whst exactly should he go back to doing?"

Hes a comedian is he not? Since when do comedians go around burning money.

Like a lot of comedians these days, hes now venturing into the political. Hence my wish he would just stick to comedy

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

What's also obvious is that you know nothing of Lycett as a comedian, this is a very typical lycett stunt, so whst exactly should he go back to doing?"

Stop using other people's misery for his own self promotion? Stop blackma*ling others for the sake of his own stunt?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

What's also obvious is that you know nothing of Lycett as a comedian, this is a very typical lycett stunt, so whst exactly should he go back to doing?

Hes a comedian is he not? Since when do comedians go around burning money.

Like a lot of comedians these days, hes now venturing into the political. Hence my wish he would just stick to comedy"

Again, I'll point out that Joe Lycett has always been political, he's not venturing in to it, thats what his carear is based on. (And by political I dont mean party politics)

Reply privately

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

Not bad when you have 10k to shred. It could have been put to better use helping someone

Reply privately

By *ookie_and_NookieCouple
over a year ago

Kent

Interesting priorities

Priority wise. If people don't feel safe in Qatar. Then don't go. "

If you think people are outraged about not being able to have sex in public then you really haven’t been listening.

C x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kent

"And Joe Lycett?

It's possible. If it wasn't an social media stunt it would be more credible. "

If it wasn’t on social media people wouldn’t know about it therefore no awareness raised.

C x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kent

"This is a great thread for identifying people who need blocking. Great stuff. Would read again. "

Exactly my thoughts!

C d

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"And Joe Lycett?

If it wasn’t on social media people wouldn’t know about it therefore no awareness raised.

C x"

People do know about it though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kent

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

People do know about it though. "

Because it was over social media and was coiled up by the mainstream news channels.

C x

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

Because it was over social media and was coiled up by the mainstream news channels.

C x"

the issues were all over social and the main media before. I knew about them prior to Jo Lycett's gesture

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kent

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

C x

the issues were all over social and the main media before. I knew about them prior to Jo Lycett's gesture "

My comment was in response to someone claiming Joe’s actions were a social media stunt. I didn’t mention the actual issues surrounding the World Cup. Either way, what he’s done has worked because people are talking about it.

C x

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

C x

the issues were all over social and the main media before. I knew about them prior to Jo Lycett's gesture

My comment was in response to someone claiming Joe’s actions were a social media stunt. I didn’t mention the actual issues surrounding the World Cup. Either way, what he’s done has worked because people are talking about it.

C x"

I see, when you mentioned awareness I assumed you meant the issues Jo Lycett was trying to bring attention to.

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Personally, I'm far more pissed off at Boris bunging £37 billion of our money to a Tory's wife for a mobile app that they knew didn't work - and never made any attempt to recover it when it became public knowledge.

Funny how that's all been forgotten about to the point where everyone (including/especially many who supported Boris) is now freaking out about someone shredding £10k of his own cash.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I liked his snazzy jumper

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Interesting priorities

Priority wise. If people don't feel safe in Qatar. Then don't go.

If you think people are outraged about not being able to have sex in public then you really haven’t been listening.

C x"

I believe the outrage was because 200 lgbtq fans didn't feel safe to travel to qatar because a soeveriegn state has its own laws. My point being. How would they know anyone isnt gay unless engaged in those activities in public. Otherwise their sexuality is not relevant. So mmif you want to visit Qatar. Abide by their laws or don't go.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I liked his snazzy jumper "

he;d have a job getting through a narrow doorway in it

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"And Joe Lycett?

C x"

It's all people have been discussing on news chanels for 4 weeks. We are discussing the stunt and it will have no effect on life in Qatar at all.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Personally, I'm far more pissed off at Boris bunging £37 billion of our money to a Tory's wife for a mobile app that they knew didn't work - and never made any attempt to recover it when it became public knowledge.

Funny how that's all been forgotten about to the point where everyone (including/especially many who supported Boris) is now freaking out about someone shredding £10k of his own cash.

"

That was ourltrageous and I know men have difficulty multi tasking. But we can think about more than one thing at a time.

Reply privately

By *iscreetMan_UKMan
over a year ago

Heathrow/Slough hotel

Interesting priorities

Hardly...what you describe has been discussed for weeks. People can think and talk about more than one thing

To the OP, I don't know what Joe Lycett was trying to achieve, if Beckham thought it a good idea to take the money I doubt if he would be swayed not to by a man saying he will shred 10k

I personally think shredding money ( if it was real) is a waste "

Lycett was highlighting Beckham’s hypocrisy - that is what he was trying to achieve and has succeeded.

Beckham says he is a supporter or LGBT rights etc. but is taking dirty money from a country where being LGBT is illegal and having sex in the privacy of your own home can land you in prison.

There are lots of conversations happening. Brand Beckham is forever tainted. Joe has highlighted the hypocrisy and got the nation talking.

Reply privately

By *iscreetMan_UKMan
over a year ago

Heathrow/Slough hotel

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

C x

the issues were all over social and the main media before. I knew about them prior to Jo Lycett's gesture "

The issues were known, but Beckham is one of the most recognisable people connected to football in the entire world. He has long been a (supposed) supporter of the LGBT community and Joe wanted to highlight his hypocrisy.

Brand Beckham is forever tainted, especially in the LGBT community. He will never be in Attitude magazine or at their awards again. He will never be able to talk about morals again. He has proven to the world that money is more important to him that his morals. Joe has proven the opposite.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 21/11/22 00:12:56]

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

It's his own money to do as he pleases with, and in doing this raises even more awareness to the cause than simply donating that 10k to a charity that wouldn't touch the sides.

As for those saying this a publicity stunt for his tour. He's one of the biggest comics on the scene right now, he doesn't need to worry about selling tickets. He's brilliant.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's his own money to do as he pleases with, and in doing this raises even more awareness to the cause than simply donating that 10k to a charity that wouldn't touch the sides.

As for those saying this a publicity stunt for his tour. He's one of the biggest comics on the scene right now, he doesn't need to worry about selling tickets. He's brilliant. "

you didn't see the woman from a foodbank on the news saying how that would have got them through the winter then

Reply privately

By *ynonvalleyboyMan
over a year ago

merthyr

Was fearfull his frills would have got caught in the shredder

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Was fearfull his frills would have got caught in the shredder"

that was some outfit wasn't it

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

"It's his own money to do as he pleases with, and in doing this raises even more awareness to the cause than simply donating that 10k to a charity that wouldn't touch the sides.

As for those saying this a publicity stunt for his tour. He's one of the biggest comics on the scene right now, he doesn't need to worry about selling tickets. He's brilliant.

you didn't see the woman from a foodbank on the news saying how that would have got them through the winter then"

Indeed it would have, and it's terrible that she has to go to food banks, but this wasn't a stunt to raise awareness on food banks.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

you didn't see the woman from a foodbank on the news saying how that would have got them through the winter then

Indeed it would have, and it's terrible that she has to go to food banks, but this wasn't a stunt to raise awareness on food banks. "

She was one of the people running the food bank.

No it was one fairly wealthy person shredding £10k to highlight an immensely wealthy person's perceived hypocrisy.

You said £10k wouldn't have touched the sides of it was donated to charity. The woman involved in running the foodbank disagreed, as do I

Reply privately

By *iscreetMan_UKMan
over a year ago

Heathrow/Slough hotel

Indeed it would have, and it's terrible that she has to go to food banks, but this wasn't a stunt to raise awareness on food banks.

No it was one fairly wealthy person shredding £10k to highlight an immensely wealthy person's perceived hypocrisy.

You said £10k wouldn't have touched the sides of it was donated to charity. The woman involved in running the foodbank disagreed, as do I"

Whataboutery doesn’t help anyone though.

She is saying that her food bank is more important than LGBT persecution. Two completely separate issues, both in need of attention.

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

You said £10k wouldn't have touched the sides of it was donated to charity. The woman involved in running the foodbank disagreed, as do I"

I meant 10k in relation to the cause he's highlighting. There's no point doing whataboutery with another charity.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You said £10k wouldn't have touched the sides of it was donated to charity. The woman involved in running the foodbank disagreed, as do I

Whataboutery doesn’t help anyone though.

She is saying that her food bank is more important than LGBT persecution. Two completely separate issues, both in need of attention. "

She didn't say that at all.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I meant 10k in relation to the cause he's highlighting. There's no point doing whataboutery with another charity.

"

I disagree but that's the nature of discussion

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"And Joe Lycett?

C x

C x

The issues were known, but Beckham is one of the most recognisable people connected to football in the entire world. He has long been a (supposed) supporter of the LGBT community and Joe wanted to highlight his hypocrisy.

Brand Beckham is forever tainted, especially in the LGBT community. He will never be in Attitude magazine or at their awards again. He will never be able to talk about morals again. He has proven to the world that money is more important to him that his morals. Joe has proven the opposite. "

Well was there ever any doubt? I'm sure brand beckham will manage. He's done OK so far. He never asked to be a gay icon and Im sure he will manage OK without the pressure to please that seems to bring.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/11/22 12:08:48]

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

And Joe Lycett had given an update that of course he didn't shred £10k and the money has been given to LGBTQIA+ charities. I think everyone saw that coming

Reply privately

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"And Joe Lycett had given an update that of course he didn't shred £10k and the money has been given to LGBTQIA+ charities. I think everyone saw that coming "

So it only remains for David Beckham to make an equivalent donation to charities and we can get back to watching the World Cup with clear consciences.

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"And Joe Lycett had given an update that of course he didn't shred £10k and the money has been given to LGBTQIA+ charities. I think everyone saw that coming "

Did he really think beckham was going to stop and go 'oh no, id better pull out of my agreement with the qataris so'

Probably never even heard of him

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Supposed to believe he gave real money to LGBTQIA charities now. Right you are of course he did. The boy who cried wolf springs to mind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a massive cunt. Girl on the local news needs £7.5k to reach £25k for life saving / prolonging operation. Why not give it to someone like that instead of shredding it to make a point. Absolute bellend.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just read he did actually give it to charity

Still a cunt.

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"What a massive cunt. Girl on the local news needs £7.5k to reach £25k for life saving / prolonging operation. Why not give it to someone like that instead of shredding it to make a point. Absolute bellend. "

He never shredded it.

Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't?

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"And Joe Lycett had given an update that of course he didn't shred £10k and the money has been given to LGBTQIA+ charities. I think everyone saw that coming

Supposed to believe he gave real money to LGBTQIA charities now. Right you are of course he did. The boy who cried wolf springs to mind. "

He's not an idiot. I'm sure he had planned that all along. It's not like he couldn't have predicted some of the reactions he's had.

Reply privately

By *s two99Couple
over a year ago

West Bromwich

Glad he has that much to waste. There's a lot of people who could do so much good with that money

Reply privately

By *aptainhornpipeMan
over a year ago

manchester

Are people not aware that he already gave the money to an LBGTQ+ charity before he even sent the tweet saying he was shredding it.

What he actually shredded was Beckham's Attitude magazine cover, the first gay magazine to shoot a premier league star.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Just read he did actually give it to charity

Still a cunt."

Why is he?

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't"

But Beckham's a legend that men cream their shorts over.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"What a massive cunt. Girl on the local news needs £7.5k to reach £25k for life saving / prolonging operation. Why not give it to someone like that instead of shredding it to make a point. Absolute bellend.

He never shredded it.

Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't?"

Oh there are so many reasons... But the biggest is that becks (who I'm not a fan of) didn't set up a social media feed to virtue signal a campaign to criticise someone else, lie about the gimmick and then a make out he's a good guy by saying he didn't mean it after all and I really gave it all to a special LGBTQIA charity. Lycett was the one who bought Beckham into it. Nobody else.

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

I'm glad Joe gave the money to charity rather than shred it. He's also free to choose which charity he wants to.

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"I never expected to hear from you. It was an empty threat designed to get people talking. In many ways, it was like your deal with Qatar, David, total bullshit from the start."

I'm staggered anyone thought it was a genuine challenge - and shredding - in the first place.

Lycett even got permission from Attitude magazine before shredding the cover.

Fair play to him. And shame on Beckham.

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

""I never expected to hear from you. It was an empty threat designed to get people talking. In many ways, it was like your deal with Qatar, David, total bullshit from the start."

I'm staggered anyone thought it was a genuine challenge - and shredding - in the first place.

Lycett even got permission from Attitude magazine before shredding the cover.

Fair play to him. And shame on Beckham."

completely agree

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Oh there are so many reasons... But the biggest is that becks (who I'm not a fan of) didn't set up a social media feed to virtue signal a campaign to criticise someone else, lie about the gimmick and then a make out he's a good guy by saying he didn't mean it after all and I really gave it all to a special LGBTQIA charity. Lycett was the one who bought Beckham into it. Nobody else. "

You have quite a low threshold for "cunt," don't you?

Lycett didn't set up a social media feed for this stunt. He's been massive on twitter for quite a few years now.

And I'm not sure how calling out someone that claims to be an ally is virtue signalling.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I'm glad Joe gave the money to charity rather than shred it. He's also free to choose which charity he wants to."

Yep people give money to their chosen charities all the time without the need to advertise they have done so on twitter.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bradford

OK I started this thread re Joe lycett. Knowing he just out to publise joe lycett the money he make over the stunt will be triple fold to him.and ofcourse he can put the donation down as a tax right off and claim for the silly outfit and props he used as work expenses

what ever he give to charity

Thankfully he not stupid enough to

Shredded real money and in the end a charity benefited. Glad you all got to air your two penny worth on the subject .

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think everyone totally missed the point on this. It wasnt about money, it wasnt about Joe publicising himself, it was all about how two faced "celebrities" like Beckham are.

They are all for a cause when it suits them, but as soon as theres a payday involved theyll forget any support for saud cauae and grab the money.

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't

But Beckham's a legend that men cream their shorts over. "

Totally agree - please accept a jelly baby of any colour you like.

I think some of the replies in this thread are coloured more by a dislike of Joe Lycett, rather than anything else.

Unsavoury regime that denies basic human rights,

Multi-millionaire getting even richer by publicly supporting them,

Not a problem.

Joe Lycett raises awareness, a problem and he's a c*nt.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I think everyone totally missed the point on this. It wasnt about money, it wasnt about Joe publicising himself, it was all about how two faced "celebrities" like Beckham are.

They are all for a cause when it suits them, but as soon as theres a payday involved theyll forget any support for saud cauae and grab the money. "

Well that's an entirely different narrative and one that is almost entirely correct. If only he had come out and discussed it as a grown up rather than insulting people and using a childish gimmick. Or God forbid actually look at the bigger picture sometimes.

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Well that's an entirely different narrative and one that is almost entirely correct. If only he had come out and discussed it as a grown up rather than insulting people and using a childish gimmick. Or God forbid actually look at the bigger picture sometimes. "

You get that he's a comedian, right? Insulting people is an interesting take on it.

What would be the bigger picture?

Given the shooting in Colorado on Saturday night, I'd say that it's a good time to expose ths hypocrisy of Beckham in all of this. And, personally, I wouldn't even have heard of his gross actions if it wasn't for Lycett's 'childish gimmick.'

Reply privately

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

The KLF burnt a million as an art performance, was that childish, protest or actual art ?

Ask an advertising agency to highlight a cause you believe in, think you’ll just pay 10 grand ?

Joe not only didn’t squander £10 thousand pounds he got his voice heard and people talking. Just as Becks did the same thing in a queue a month back. One is looking for a knighthood (in my opinion) the other quite rightly is highlighting hypocrisy, the only thing he actually shredded was the Attitude front page with Beckhams picture on it.

Never thought Joe would really shred that 10 grand, he comes across as too socially aware to do anything like that. But he got his point across, so well done Joe.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Well that's an entirely different narrative and one that is almost entirely correct. If only he had come out and discussed it as a grown up rather than insulting people and using a childish gimmick. Or God forbid actually look at the bigger picture sometimes.

You get that he's a comedian, right? Insulting people is an interesting take on it.

Given the shooting in Colorado on Saturday night, I'd say that it's a good time to expose ths hypocrisy of Beckham in all of this. And, personally, I wouldn't even have heard of his gross actions if it wasn't for Lycett's 'childish gimmick.'"

It's a good debate. We are on different sides but that's good.

How do you imagine the "changes" that people are demanding of Qatar might come about? And do you think an unknown (in Qatar) comedians stunt (however populist it may be in the UK) will shift the needle in any way in Qatar?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Waste of time and money I think Beckham can do as he like and people should just follow the rules of the country of the host, demanding culture changes in another country so your comfortable to watch football is a bit much if you ask me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well that's an entirely different narrative and one that is almost entirely correct. If only he had come out and discussed it as a grown up rather than insulting people and using a childish gimmick. Or God forbid actually look at the bigger picture sometimes.

Given the shooting in Colorado on Saturday night, I'd say that it's a good time to expose ths hypocrisy of Beckham in all of this. And, personally, I wouldn't even have heard of his gross actions if it wasn't for Lycett's 'childish gimmick.'

It's a good debate. We are on different sides but that's good.

How do you imagine the "changes" that people are demanding of Qatar might come about? And do you think an unknown (in Qatar) comedians stunt (however populist it may be in the UK) will shift the needle in any way in Qatar? "

I don't think it needs to have specific change effected because of it to be valid. What it has done has started a sensible discussion about whether we should put people on a pedestal for their values when they turn out to be empty gestures once money is on the table. Beckham was the first star footballer on a gay magazine cover, but obviously that was just for cash I think we can now safely assume. It might not make a change over there, but it can make one over here, pointing out hypocrisy in public life is always to be applauded in my view. Beckham doesn't need whatever they are paying him, but he's sold his reputation as an ambassador not just for British football, but for Britain full stop for Pennies on his pound and if that means the change is we choose different people to represent us next time we have bids for the World Cup ourselves, or olympics etc, or anything where DB is brought out as a defacto good clean image brit, then so much the better.

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"How do you imagine the "changes" that people are demanding of Qatar might come about? And do you think an unknown (in Qatar) comedians stunt (however populist it may be in the UK) will shift the needle in any way in Qatar? "

I don't think Lycett expects to change anything in Qatar. It's certainly worth highlighting the hypocrisy of Beckham and failings of FIFA though.

Beckham has given tacit support to Qatar and agreed with FIFA to turn a blind eye. I think as much pressure as possible should be put on him to return the money and refuse the role.

He has turned his back on the gay community - many of whom regarded him as an ally and icon - in order to add to his millions.

As for Lycett, I'm not sure we should only speak-out on issues that we think we can directly change.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"How do you imagine the "changes" that people are demanding of Qatar might come about? And do you think an unknown (in Qatar) comedians stunt (however populist it may be in the UK) will shift the needle in any way in Qatar?

I don't think Lycett expects to change anything in Qatar. It's certainly worth highlighting the hypocrisy of Beckham and failings of FIFA though.

Beckham has given tacit support to Qatar and agreed with FIFA to turn a blind eye. I think as much pressure as possible should be put on him to return the money and refuse the role.

He has turned his back on the gay community - many of whom regarded him as an ally and icon - in order to add to his millions.

As for Lycett, I'm not sure we should only speak-out on issues that we think we can directly change. "

When did beckham ever go out of his way or make any statements thta he was a gay icon? Didn't they just adopt him because he was a good looking successful approachable bloke.. So it suited the gay community to adopt him. Now it doesn't. No big deal. Find another one to adopt.

No fan of becks by the way but also no fan of people being picked on for no real reason.

But I will say. Bigger picture. If we really expect Qatar to become more westernised, the only way is to engage with them. Not to shout at them.

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"When did beckham ever go out of his way or make any statements thta he was a gay icon?

"

I think appearing on the front cover of Attitude magazine would generally be taken as some kind of statement.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"How do you imagine the "changes" that people are demanding of Qatar might come about? And do you think an unknown (in Qatar) comedians stunt (however populist it may be in the UK) will shift the needle in any way in Qatar?

As for Lycett, I'm not sure we should only speak-out on issues that we think we can directly change.

When did beckham ever go out of his way or make any statements thta he was a gay icon? Didn't they just adopt him because he was a good looking successful approachable bloke.. So it suited the gay community to adopt him. Now it doesn't. No big deal. Find another one to adopt.

No fan of becks by the way but also no fan of people being picked on for no real reason.

But I will say. Bigger picture. If we really expect Qatar to become more westernised, the only way is to engage with them. Not to shout at them.

"

I've already answered this once on the thread, he had confirmed in interviews he is flattered to be a gay icon, he was on the front cover of Attitude, he has vouced his support fir pride agd the LGBTQIA+ community.

That's why he's an icon.

Or do you seriously think the gays had a vote and Beckham won as he's good looking and approachable?

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

As for Lycett, I'm not sure we should only speak-out on issues that we think we can directly change. "

Why should pressure be put on beckham to do that? Presumably hes happy with the decision he has made, and its his right to make his decisions about his own business

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Why should pressure be put on beckham to do that? Presumably hes happy with the decision he has made, and its his right to make his decisions about his own business"

I couldn't give a shit if he's happy with his decision. Pressure should be put on him because he is a public figure and a self-proclaimed friend of the gay community.

He obviously has the right to make his own decisions - just as the rest of us have the right to question them.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Why should pressure be put on beckham to do that? Presumably hes happy with the decision he has made, and its his right to make his decisions about his own business"

Beckham can do as he wants, but when you go out of your way to cultivate a gay following (because brand Neckham was always more than being a footballer) he's not the victim when he refuses to even acknowledge people asking the question why he believes this was acceptable.

It's laughable, you've repeatedly deconstructed abd questioned Lycett’s motives for this but seem to feel Beckham shouldn't face the same scrutiny?

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"Why should pressure be put on beckham to do that? Presumably hes happy with the decision he has made, and its his right to make his decisions about his own business

I couldn't give a shit if he's happy with his decision. Pressure should be put on him because he is a public figure and a self-proclaimed friend of the gay community.

He obviously has the right to make his own decisions - just as the rest of us have the right to question them."

Him being a 'public figure' means nothing. Thats just something we've thrust on him and now assume some form of ownership of him because of it.

As for being a friend of the gay community, thats upto them now if they want to keep him as a friend or cut him off. He doesnt owe them anything. If hes happy to lose them as friends then why should it matter to the rest of us?

Reply privately

By *rown ThunderMan
over a year ago

newport

"Being bi if I went to Qatar would I get only half the amount of lashes?"

Depends if you start humping someone in public or in the privacy of your own hotel room. Common sense

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Why should pressure be put on beckham to do that? Presumably hes happy with the decision he has made, and its his right to make his decisions about his own business

Beckham can do as he wants, but when you go out of your way to cultivate a gay following (because brand Neckham was always more than being a footballer) he's not the victim when he refuses to even acknowledge people asking the question why he believes this was acceptable.

It's laughable, you've repeatedly deconstructed abd questioned Lycett’s motives for this but seem to feel Beckham shouldn't face the same scrutiny?"

Scrutinise him all you want, but if the man chooses to stay silent and make his money the way he decides, then as long as hes not breaking any laws then its no business of ours

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

It's laughable, you've repeatedly deconstructed abd questioned Lycett’s motives for this but seem to feel Beckham shouldn't face the same scrutiny?"

It's a well known fact in business circles that Victoria was the brains behind brand Beckham. She cultivated his image and negotiated the magazine deals. Spice girls themselves had a huge gay following so it wasn't difficult for that to be transferred onto David. I think he has let down the gay community who saw him as an ally and I think Joe's actions have highlighted that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

I think the subtle point here is that hey guess what, we're not so modern and liberated after all, and just like you can buy the World Cup with a fistful of dollars and have the west up in arms at the corruption, so too can you can buy the grace and favour of our idols and have us up in arms at the hypocrisy.

It's not all about pointing at Qatar and going "Bad!", it's about questioning our own standards.

“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Scrutinise him all you want, but if the man chooses to stay silent and make his money the way he decides, then as long as hes not breaking any laws then its no business of ours"

That's not really how I choose to live my life. But you go for it.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

It's laughable, you've repeatedly deconstructed abd questioned Lycett’s motives for this but seem to feel Beckham shouldn't face the same scrutiny?

Scrutinise him all you want, but if the man chooses to stay silent and make his money the way he decides, then as long as hes not breaking any laws then its no business of ours"

So how do you choose who faces scrutiny and who doesn't?

Yiu obviously believe Lycett deserves scrutiny but are also arguing that Beckham doesn't?

Is it as simple as your understanding of Lycett is that he's a leftoebwoke comedian and fair game or is it more nuanced than that?

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Scrutinise him all you want, but if the man chooses to stay silent and make his money the way he decides, then as long as hes not breaking any laws then its no business of ours

Yiu obviously believe Lycett deserves scrutiny but are also arguing that Beckham doesn't?

Is it as simple as your understanding of Lycett is that he's a leftoebwoke comedian and fair game or is it more nuanced than that?"

I just said, scrutinise Beckham all you want. But the man owes nothing to your, I or the gay community.

As for lycett, i just think hes yet another attention seeking celeb.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

How many of you would respond to threats to deny a charity money unless you did what someone said?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Assuming it was genuine bank notes worth £10K That got shredded it shows how selfish and wasteful some folk are.

Shredding That much money when others could make far better us of it is pretentious. That's a mortgage deposit on a house in the north of England. It actually damages our perception of his protest.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

He didn’t shred anything. He gave £10k to charity and staged an elaborate stunt where he fed real notes into a “shredder” and shredded paper was spat out.

No money was harmed. You can all calm down now.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Is it as simple as your understanding of Lycett is that he's a leftoebwoke comedian and fair game or is it more nuanced than that?"

Absolutely not. I would rather we didn't scrutinise Lycett at all. Deny him the oxygen of clicks he craves. I also don't want to scrutinise beckham either. Though you can't deny he's done well for kicking a ball around. Left wing or right wing has nothing to do with it.

If Lycett hadn't put his stunt out there I wouldn't have had anything to scrutinise.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"When did beckham ever go out of his way or make any statements thta he was a gay icon?

I think appearing on the front cover of Attitude magazine would generally be taken as some kind of statement."

What statement is that? Don't talk in riddles. Man gets offered money to have his picture taken..thats all it says to me.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I've already answered this once on the thread, he had confirmed in interviews he is flattered to be a gay icon, he was on the front cover of Attitude, he has vouced his support fir pride agd the LGBTQIA+ community.

That's why he's an icon.

Or do you seriously think the gays had a vote and Beckham won as he's good looking and approachable?"

Yes. Exactly that pretty much. He's box office. The fact a gay magazine (is it? No idea as never heard of it) chose to put his pic on the cover is their choice. How many people.. When said.. "ooh the gays really like you" would go out and say.. "Well tell them to fuck off u don't want them liking me" cna you imagine? Who would say anuyhing different than... "great, appreciate the support".

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Went out his way to cultivate a gay following... Sure he did. Gays like him and adopted him. Now apparently they don't like some of choices... Tough. Move on. He never asked for a gay following and I'm sure he wouldn't want to deliberately offend anyone... But equally sure.. He will be just fine if they put someone else on the cover of a magazine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We came out of the EU partly because we didn't want other countries imposing laws and regulations on us. Qatar has it's own laws, rightly or wrongly, we are just showing our double standards, as for the two "celebrities" both will have made more money in the past week than most of us will earn in a year, don't give either one any more free publicity.

By the way, I hate soccer with a vengeance and won't be watching one second of it.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"We came out of the EU partly because we didn't want other countries imposing laws and regulations on us. Qatar has it's own laws, rightly or wrongly, we are just showing our double standards, as for the two "celebrities" both will have made more money in the past week than most of us will earn in a year, don't give either one any more free publicity.

By the way, I hate soccer with a vengeance and won't be watching one second of it."

Fair point. The right of a sovereign state to rule itself seems to be escaping Most folks who seem to think all nations must adopt our values.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Or God forbid actually look at the bigger picture sometimes. "

What's the bigger picture?

Reply privately

By *tevebipiMan
over a year ago

Staines

It’s illegal to destroy money. It was nothing but a poor stunt. The video quality was poor the lighting was poor. Yes he shredded some paper and that’s it.

I have more views about it but will keep them to myself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kent

"What a massive cunt. Girl on the local news needs £7.5k to reach £25k for life saving / prolonging operation. Why not give it to someone like that instead of shredding it to make a point. Absolute bellend.

He never shredded it.

Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't?"

THIS!!!!!

C x

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

I think appearing on the front cover of Attitude magazine would generally be taken as some kind of statement.

What statement is that? Don't talk in riddles. Man gets offered money to have his picture taken..thats all it says to me. "

So if Beckham was paid a truck full of money to appear on a magazine for Nazis and he didn't do it, would it be because it wasn't enough or he didn't agree with it?

Those saying Qatar have their own values that must be followed. That's a perfectly fine point to have, but when those laws (such as no beer in stadiums, no armbands in support of LGBTQ+ etc.) are then enfored hours before the tournament is to begin - when they've had years to say these were not allowed, then

FIFA aren't enforcing this because they believe in their values, they're doing it for the money. In the same way they made the Brazilian government change their laws so that beer was sold in stadiums in 2014. To make more money. They have no moral compass.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He never shredded it.

I never said Beckham wasn’t a cunt.

He is.

But that wasn’t the discussion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also why is Joe a cunt for not helping her, when Beckham who's getting 1,000 times more than the 10k, to add to his £450,000,000 fortune isn't

I think some of the replies in this thread are coloured more by a dislike of Joe Lycett, rather than anything else.

Not a problem.

"

They are all cunts.

Beckham - take your pick why but I will go with greed and hypocrisy

Any government that subverts and punishes anyone who dares to be different or not live by morals prescribed 2,000 years ago with over zealous intolerance.

Lycett - because, IMO, he chose this platform, his platform to raise his own profile. If it was a stunt then what did it achieve beyond publicity for him. Everyone knows about the Qatari intolerance to homosexuality and the alleged thousands of migrant workers that perished making these stadiums. I said alleged on the basis that there appears to be disagreement over numbers rather than that actual deaths have occurred. One is one too many. Additionally he did nothing to highlight the issues beyond this, when he had this platform to do so.

FIFA - cunts for awarding the World Cup to Qatar in the first place.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not a problem.

They are all cunts.

Any government that subverts and punishes anyone who dares to be different or not live by morals prescribed 2,000 years ago with over zealous intolerance.

Lycett - because, IMO, he chose this platform, his platform to raise his own profile. If it was a stunt then what did it achieve beyond publicity for him. Everyone knows about the Qatari intolerance to homosexuality and the alleged thousands of migrant workers that perished making these stadiums. I said alleged on the basis that there appears to be disagreement over numbers rather than that actual deaths have occurred. One is one too many. Additionally he did nothing to highlight the issues beyond this, when he had this platform to do so.

FIFA - cunts for awarding the World Cup to Qatar in the first place. "

You di know that Lycett wasn't and had never claimed yo be highlighting what went in on Qatar just highlighting Beckham's hypocrisy?

And that Lycett has made a career (inpart at least) with stunts that have highlighted other people's hypocrisy abd double standards?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not a problem.

They are all cunts.

You di know that Lycett wasn't and had never claimed yo be highlighting what went in on Qatar just highlighting Beckham's hypocrisy?

And that Lycett has made a career (inpart at least) with stunts that have highlighted other people's hypocrisy abd double standards? "

I said In My Opinion. He is the only one, charity aside, to benefit from this stunt and will probably make that £10k back and then some. He used his platform of a proud homosexual comedian to do what he did when he could have used it to do some good for many rather than some bad to just one.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not a problem.

They are all cunts.

And that Lycett has made a career (inpart at least) with stunts that have highlighted other people's hypocrisy abd double standards?

I said In My Opinion. He is the only one, charity aside, to benefit from this stunt and will probably make that £10k back and then some. He used his platform of a proud homosexual comedian to do what he did when he could have used it to do some good for many rather than some bad to just one. "

He doesn't identify as homosexual...

So what should he have done?

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"I said In My Opinion. He is the only one, charity aside, to benefit from this stunt and will probably make that £10k back and then some. He used his platform of a proud homosexual comedian to do what he did when he could have used it to do some good for many rather than some bad to just one. "

Every single time a comedian - or any celebrity - tweets, it is to boost their career and followers. I presumed most people know that.

However, an alternative perspective to the one you shared is that he used his platform as a gay man to speak up on an issue of importance to gay people.

Reply privately