Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Weatherspoons or somewhere posh

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What type are you ? I'm definitely weatherspoons type of person.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

Depends where has the nicest food. I've honestly been to some posh places and thought I would have rather gone to wetherspoons

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

Depends on the occasion. Few beers and a catch up with friends then 'spoons. Something more like a birthday or date night then a more upmarket place.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Both

over a year ago

"Depends where has the nicest food. I've honestly been to some posh places and thought I would have rather gone to wetherspoons"

Same here . You know what your getting to lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah definitely depends on the occasion.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I would happily eat at Wetherspoons rather than somewhere posh. My preference would be just a nice pub serving decent grub.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Happily in the middle, love garden centre and golf club brekkies of a morning

over a year ago

A bit of both. I really like making an event of a nice meal. Dressing well,setting a time and planning a day around it.

But a pub lunch can just satisfy and who doesn’t like a good pub classic?

over a year ago

"I would happily eat at Wetherspoons rather than somewhere posh. My preference would be just a nice pub serving decent grub."

My kind of person

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I would happily eat at Wetherspoons rather than somewhere posh. My preference would be just a nice pub serving decent grub.

My kind of person "

And I don't drink, so no squabbles over who is driving

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Not really a Weatherspoon's type of person but, love a nice cosy pub somewhere. Or Afternoon tea

over a year ago

"I would happily eat at Wetherspoons rather than somewhere posh. My preference would be just a nice pub serving decent grub.

My kind of person

And I don't drink, so no squabbles over who is driving "

Haha perfect

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Tbh I avoid spoons or any other chain pub/restaurant/cafe if I can. Independent outlets usually offer better value (not always cheaper) but in the round better value

By *elloWoman
over a year ago

alpha centauri

Wait...what ... Wetherspoons isn't posh in Croydon it's generally the only place I go for a lunch with friends, was there this Tuesday actually

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Never been into a Wetherspoons so can't comment on the food, I am however a big fan of small independant restaurants and pubs which I use on a regular basis.

Tomorrow it will be a newly opened Italian Restaurant which is within walking distance of my house.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Wait...what ... Wetherspoons isn't posh in Croydon it's generally the only place I go for a lunch with friends, was there this Tuesday actually "

To be fair, they often look really impressive from the outside. They often buy large old landmark buildings

over a year ago

"Wait...what ... Wetherspoons isn't posh in Croydon it's generally the only place I go for a lunch with friends, was there this Tuesday actually "

Haha can't beat it

over a year ago

"Never been into a Wetherspoons so can't comment on the food, I am however a big fan of small independant restaurants and pubs which I use on a regular basis.

Tomorrow it will be a newly opened Italian Restaurant which is within walking distance of my house."

wow ? You never been to weatherspoons that's crazy !

By *ungle VIP 1Man
over a year ago

colchester

Spoons is not for me, a decent pub or somewhere posh if special occasion. Like to dress up and make an event of it. Plus the beer is crap in spoons

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

Both - although Weatherspoons is more for drinks than eating for me. I do find some of them a bit depressing though.

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Both also for us depends on the occasion.

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

I assume you mean The George? Been my regular meet up with my mate for years. Bit of a dive but the beer is so cheap, I can't afford £6 a pint elsewhere! Shame they shut The Skylark, that was a much nicer Spoons.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm pretty eclectic. Everything depends on the celebration the bank balance the occasion the planning the company etc....

I have no time for SNOBS re wetherspoons. The menu and the prices suit everyone.

The venues are excellent and well staffed. I do have a dog rough one near where I shop but it's a dog rough area.

Other Spoons I use are delightful as are the people.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I like all types of social venue as long as the atmosphere is good and the food and drink is nice

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

There are a couple of things I don't like about Spoons, firstly Tim Martin, secondly all their interior furniture seems to be the same and is fairly unimaginative. I'll be at the Jack Firman in Horley this afternoon, a great pub set in an old garage but really could be so much better if a bit more thought had been put into the decor.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"What type are you ? I'm definitely weatherspoons type of person."

Cheap drink? Wetherspoons. Food? I'll go almost anywhere else.

C

over a year ago

Don’t mind a bit of rough although we prefer posh but I wouldn’t frequent a Wetherspoons ever again if I was dying of thirst.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Both"

Very inclusive Nora

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

As much as I love a gastronomic delight, I'll go anywhere in the presence of good company.

*I may caveat that if tested

C

By *oobyHotwifeWoman
over a year ago

Thurrock

I don't mind either but I'm more at home in a Wetherspoons

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Depends on the occasion and also depends on the spoons.

There's a couple of spoons within walking distance of each other in the City in London. One of them is a really nice pub, the other is a right dive!

over a year ago

Much more at home in a spoons

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

I go for quality, rather than whether a place is “posh” or not.

My local Spoons is grim, full of sad/looking drinkers during the day, and the most likely place in town for a fight in the evenings. Plenty of better pubs to go to, and tons of places where I can get better food.

over a year ago

Somewhere slightly more posh

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

There are no "Weatherspoons" in my upmarket locale. So it's 'somewhere' else for me....

over a year ago

Depends on if I am take someone out on a date or if I am looking for free drinks for a favour to return in kind

On a date posh

Free drinks and a favor in kind

Bar off some sorts

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

With Spoons I think that it depends on the location. There’s one in the centre of Wolverhampton which is horrible and full of old guys nursing a pint from when it opens at 7am. There are some great Spoons in Birmingham though and the pubs seem to change character as the day progresses so as a committed people watchers they are fascinating places to be!

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I try to avoid places like Wetherspoons and Yates as often as possible, I much prefer independent outlets.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Both, but there are some Spoons that I definitely wouldn’t go in.

over a year ago

I will occasionally indulge in a Weatherspoons breakfast. I don’t like it when it’s heaving, but then I don’t like anywhere that’s heaving…

over a year ago

I boycotted Wetherspoons years ago and it’s been really easy to stay away. I’m more a gastro pub kind of girl!

over a year ago

Whenever possible I’ll choose the independent over a spoons (or any chain bar/pub/restaurant). I would rather I was directly supporting a small business owner.

over a year ago

Is there something in between? I boycotted Spoons a long time ago, but I'm not posh either.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I can lower the tone of anywhere. Except a Wetherspoons.

I'm not saying that some of their toilets are located at a distance to the bar, but I once emerged in the Aztec Zone

over a year ago

"I try to avoid places like Wetherspoons and Yates as often as possible, I much prefer independent outlets. "

This. Unique decor. Original dishes or drinks. Personal touches. Different atmosphere.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Some interesting wording going on. Firstly the choice between Spoons and “posh”, the word “posh” clearly being negative. And then the suggestion that anyone who doesn’t like Spoons is a snob.

I recently worked with a lady who hated “posh” places, was taken out for lunch one day and came back saying she hated the place because it was all posh food and they had nothing normal. I checked the menu myself and they had fish and chips, sandwiches, burgers, roast chicken … if that’s too “posh”, what the hell counts as normal food?

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Would not be seen dead in a Witherspoons

over a year ago

I've eaten in a Michelin 5*, but my favourite ever meal came from a truck stop diner in US mall parking lot. Time and a place for everything.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I've eaten in a Michelin 5*, but my favourite ever meal came from a truck stop diner in US mall parking lot. Time and a place for everything."

Which takes some doing as they only give 3...but I get your point and agree entirely... Beauty/taste is in the eye of the beholder.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Nothing wrong with wetherspoons but my choice is somewhere a bit more relaxed and out of the way - comfy seats and less prams

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If eating out I like good food as it’s meant to be special, but if it’s just for convenience spoons is OK, it’s fast, cheap and there’s a few things on the menu I will eat.

Spoons is perfect if you have kids though , the odd plate of beige won’t kill them or brake the bank

over a year ago

I like good food, if that makes me a snob so be it

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Our local Whetherspoons opened about 3 years ago and was ok. Cheap and nice food, reasonably clean,good atmosphere and all the tea you can drink for£1. Went there regularly.

Now, it's dirty, tables never clean, smaller portions less staff, longer waiting and not so nice food.

Our group of friends have decided not to go there anymore and go to one of the restaurants we used to go to before they opened.

over a year ago

"I've eaten in a Michelin 5*, but my favourite ever meal came from a truck stop diner in US mall parking lot. Time and a place for everything.

Which takes some doing as they only give 3...but I get your point and agree entirely... Beauty/taste is in the eye of the beholder. "

Indeed! Maybe I was thinking RAC! It was the max number of said stars anyway. And I did enjoy it, (it was even decent value!), but no more than a LOT of much cheaper meals I've have. Eating out is all about who you are with, as much as where you are. I wouldn't limit myself to one or the other.

over a year ago

I boycott spoons because of the way the staff have been treated and the politics of their owner. Nothing to do with it being a cheap pub - it's fine. I prefer something with a bit more atmosphere though.

By *olfiewv14Man
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Going to wetherspoons next Tuesday for breakfast in Bilston any lady or couples welcome to join me

By *ack 500Man
over a year ago

stafford

Got to be a nice place but not too posh that the portions are tiny and are served with carrot purée etc

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I've eaten in a Michelin 5*, but my favourite ever meal came from a truck stop diner in US mall parking lot. Time and a place for everything.

Which takes some doing as they only give 3...but I get your point and agree entirely... Beauty/taste is in the eye of the beholder.

Indeed! Maybe I was thinking RAC! It was the max number of said stars anyway. And I did enjoy it, (it was even decent value!), but no more than a LOT of much cheaper meals I've have. Eating out is all about who you are with, as much as where you are. I wouldn't limit myself to one or the other."

Best one I had was at 2 am, on a beach in Greece, souvlaki chips and salad and a mythos... Feet in the med and looking up at the stars... 5 Michelin stars

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I like good food, if that makes me a snob so be it "

Me too. Very happy to pay for quality.

I completely accept the point some people have made that price does not guarantee quality. Dining experiences can be hit and miss at any price point. But the very best food (best quality ingredients, best preparation, good service and nice surroundings) are unlikely to be cheap.

Most disappointing meal I have had this year: 2 Michelin starred restaurant, The Hand and Flowers (kerridge). Nothing special about the food, exorbitant prices, no better than many of the local Gastropubs. 90 quid for a steak? Ridiculous. And that was literally just for the steak, nothing else on the plate! (I hadn’t ordered it, next table had).

Best meal of the year: The Fat Duck. Strip away the presentation and theatre, and the stuff on the plate is brilliantly executed, fantastic flavours, textures and combinations. Memorable, brilliant.

Most surprising (positive) meal of the year: a small backstreet Italian place in Dublin. Looked a bit of a dump, very basic, but the food was excellent and cheap.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Indeed! Maybe I was thinking RAC! It was the max number of said stars anyway. And I did enjoy it, (it was even decent value!), but no more than a LOT of much cheaper meals I've have. Eating out is all about who you are with, as much as where you are. I wouldn't limit myself to one or the other.

Best one I had was at 2 am, on a beach in Greece, souvlaki chips and salad and a mythos... Feet in the med and looking up at the stars... 5 Michelin stars"

Best pizza I ever had was in Greece, stone oven at the side of the road. Like yourself., the time and place probably contributed to the enjoyment.

By *olfie26Man
over a year ago

Brierley Hill

I avoid Wetherspoons and other chain pubs as much as possible. Much prefer independently run pubs tgat offer a better beer and food choice.

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

I occasionally use Wetherspoons but only if I’m with friends and they insist… mostly I avoid them because I don’t like the owner and how he acts.

That said, I’m not particularly into “posh” for the sake of it either.

I will give anywhere with a good atmosphere a try

over a year ago

"I like good food, if that makes me a snob so be it

Me too. Very happy to pay for quality.

I completely accept the point some people have made that price does not guarantee quality. Dining experiences can be hit and miss at any price point. But the very best food (best quality ingredients, best preparation, good service and nice surroundings) are unlikely to be cheap.

Most disappointing meal I have had this year: 2 Michelin starred restaurant, The Hand and Flowers (kerridge). Nothing special about the food, exorbitant prices, no better than many of the local Gastropubs. 90 quid for a steak? Ridiculous. And that was literally just for the steak, nothing else on the plate! (I hadn’t ordered it, next table had).

Best meal of the year: The Fat Duck. Strip away the presentation and theatre, and the stuff on the plate is brilliantly executed, fantastic flavours, textures and combinations. Memorable, brilliant.

Most surprising (positive) meal of the year: a small backstreet Italian place in Dublin. Looked a bit of a dump, very basic, but the food was excellent and cheap. "

So jealous The Fat Duck is top of my list of must try restaurants along with Osteria Francescana (Massimo Bottura’s restaurant)

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

I wouldn't drink in weatherspoons, but it's nothing to do with it not being posh enough.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

There's a whole range of places between Wetherspoons and "posh" restaurants isn't there? So I'm neither. I love good food. I'm not against cheap alcohol. It depends on my mood, who I'm with. Why I'm going out for food. If I'm eating out, because I love cooking I generally want it to be really good food that I wouldn't cook at home. Or couldn't.

But Wetherspoons is good for the annual too hungover but need to eat after seeing a dear friend.

By *angOnBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Ipswich

"What type are you ? I'm definitely weatherspoons type of person.

I wouldn't drink in weatherspoons, but it's nothing to do with it not being posh enough."

Just this. Neverspoons!

We go to local pubs with atmosphere and when we eat we look for good food rather than just reheated stuff.

By *dy-ukTV/TS
over a year ago

Alcester

...tgi Fridays in in Croydon, just down by Halfords.

Anyhow I like weatherspoons, it's always cooked good and I recommend the steak n chips, with Jack Daniels Honey Glaze

By *hil most chillMan
over a year ago

London & Europe

"I like good food, if that makes me a snob so be it "

The Duchess deserves the best!

By *elloWoman
over a year ago

alpha centauri

"Wait...what ... Wetherspoons isn't posh in Croydon it's generally the only place I go for a lunch with friends, was there this Tuesday actually

...tgi Fridays in in Croydon, just down by Halfords.

Anyhow I like weatherspoons, it's always cooked good and I recommend the steak n chips, with Jack Daniels Honey Glaze "

This is one of the only places I'd refuse to go to, been to a tgi 3 times and the food was terrible

over a year ago

Wet her spoon’s

Going there now . Full house , Hemel Hempstead

Is not posh , is the finest

Ah ah ! My daughter birthday , she is 5 today ,

Loved the surprises xx

Back to mums …

Now meal n drink out ^^

over a year ago

Just before payday - spoons

Just after payday - take your pick

over a year ago

Depends if you wanna stick to the carpet or not.

over a year ago

First time I saw a Wetherspoons was on a date around 2015 …

Somewhere in London , I do t remember . Baker st ?

I just remember thinking wow … this is posh

Carpet on floor , carpet on walls , is it carpet in ceiling as well ?

Wooow .. nice … I didn’t had a clue what it was ,

Now I know .

I let the lady choose . If she doesn’t mind I don’t mind .

over a year ago

"I like good food, if that makes me a snob so be it

The Duchess deserves the best! "

So true

By *dy-ukTV/TS
over a year ago

Alcester

"Depends if you wanna stick to the carpet or not. "

I have a good friend, Troy Hawks who is a comedian.

He's started doing 'the greeters guild' hilarious.

Look up, greeters guild weatherspoons.

He quotes to one customer entering

'welcome to weatherspoons, you won't want to leave, and their sticky carpets won't let you "

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I like food...

Happy to eat at Wetherspoons or a local pub or restaurant but do like proper posh nosh occasionally.

Nita

By * F 2018Couple
over a year ago

shropshire

Depends the situation....

But scampi chips and peas and if we want to me post let's add a garnish

over a year ago

Spoons! Although you’d never catch me taking a date there

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

my local pub is cheaper than wetherspoons, plus it has the bonus of not being full of desperate types all day drinking or of being owned by a purile idiot. they serve good inexpensive home cooked food too rather than the dross dim martian serves up. poshness or lack thereof has no bearing on where i drink or eat.

By *tylebender03Man
over a year ago

Manchester

A posh Wetherspoons (they do exist..)

over a year ago

"A posh Wetherspoons (they do exist..)"

Yup . Tower bridge of London for example

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

It most definetly does depend on the occassion, but nine times out of 10 a Wetherspoons will do.

over a year ago

Spoons. They sell cheap Brown Ale so it’s always a winner for me.

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

"Would not be seen dead in a Witherspoons "

Reese must be gutted...

By *ark69x_glosMan
over a year ago

Cirencester

Not a great fan of the spoons, but each to their own.

over a year ago

I don't mind a weatherspoons.

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

The major problem I've had with every Wetherspoon pub I've ever visited is they can't cook a steak.

"How would you like your steak?"

"Blue, please"

"Oh, we can only do rare *insert health and safety drivel*, would that be OK?"

"Sure, rare would be fine."

However, what turns up is somewhere between medium and well-done. Every time I've pointed out the steak isn't rare (without being a c**t about it) I'm told after cooking the steak they let it rest on a hot platter whilst they get everything else ready for the table.

I dread to think what would turn up if I asked for "well done". Presumably some smouldering ashes on the side of the plate...

By *razytimesinloveCouple
over a year ago

SW Scotland

Posh for a date night, Spoons if we’re in a rush.

Yes I know it’s microwaved etc, but it’s unlimited refills on coffee so that’s the winner there

over a year ago

Weatherspoons if I'm watching the pennies (free refills on their hot drinks is great) or just want cheap and cheerful.

Somewhere more upmarket and not a pub chain for those really special occasions.

By *eigh guyMan
over a year ago

wigan

The spoons in Leigh is full of lovely couples I can fantasise about ,,, plus villa Maria sauv is £12 a bottle !!

over a year ago

Compared to the places I frequent, Wetherspoons IS posh ..

over a year ago

I hate Spoonies with a passion, soulless pubs that when not busy are the most depressing places on the planet and they've got a Uber Gammon owner

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I dislike the Wetherspoon founder, so always anywhere but there. I'll enjoy basic, cheap places anytime

By *iona_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Been actively avoiding the Wetherspoons Wurzels establishments. Even cheap booze couldn't persuade me to drink in his pubs

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Never drink in a spoons. Awful pubs owned by an awful human who treats hos staff like shit.

Not ine for posh pubs either though

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Like others Tim Martin puts me off. The food is cheap but it's warmed up by the staff, not cooked. If I'm drinking I go to the independents

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I’m more of a meat house type, anywhere that serves good BBQ food (especially Pulled Pork or brisket) in a rustic setting and I’m happy

By *lym4realCouple
over a year ago

plymouth

Depends on the size of your wallet really and although the owner of "Spoons" is abit of a twat the price you pay at the top end doesn't translate into staff wages most times ?? as Mrs4 worked in the "Trade" for years and worked in one of busiest and most popular places in Plymland and they pocketed all the tips and only paid per a shift ? a lovelly work around to avoid paying min wage ...

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Weatherspoons or harvester! Not into posh nosh! X

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

What is the tipping point where a place is deemed to be “posh”? Or where food is deems to be “posh”?

Tablecloths?

Food being freshly cooked?

Place being clean?

over a year ago

Think I'd rather grab a sandwich from M&S and cook instead.

Post new Message to Thread