Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

October the 1st is Coming

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The day many turn on their heating, the energy price cap to nearly double and councils planning for libraries to become warm spaces for those who cannot heat their homes.

Could this herald the breakdown of society as we know it. The beginning of a long painful end...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We're not even in September yet! Are we?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Been in a routine in prep for this since last rise. I do find keeping a weekly spreadsheet of readings and cost does help monitor.

over a year ago

If people are gonna gather in libraries to keep warm, maybe it brings society a little closer.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Do people have a set date for putting on the heating?

I turn it on when it gets cold. Which until winter kicks in properly is often only a day or two here and there through autumn.

over a year ago

I'm looking forward to getting laid on October 1st.

I won't be cold!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

This failing government has a lot to answer for, especially if they don't implement quickly enough substantial help for most people. The imposition of unaffordable changes to the basic essentials of existence and life, are not acceptable and are responsibilities of people that we elect to prioritise our wedding and safety.

It's an atrocious point in our lives, coming after many years of induced escalated poverty for millions. I'm unsure what awaits this winter

over a year ago

"I'm looking forward to getting laid on October 1st.

I won't be cold!

"

Whoa whoa whoa! Stop the bus!

You’re doing sex?

Have you planned the waxing?

over a year ago

I won't be cold!

Whoa whoa whoa! Stop the bus!

You’re doing sex?

Have you planned the waxing? "

I have yes!!

I have it all written down, what needs doing and when.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Not much point going to the library to get warm, cut backs mean very limited opening hours in some areas.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

It won’t be THAT cold in October Tom! Mild maybe

Most probably don’t flick the switch until at least November

Do you know how many libraries there are still operating? They are going to be very cramped spaces come winter!

In my teens we lived in a farmhouse that had no central heating just coal fires, there was as much ice on the inside of the windows as outside and we went to bed with hot water bottles.

over a year ago

"The day many turn on their heating, the energy price cap to nearly double and councils planning for libraries to become warm spaces for those who cannot heat their homes."

I've heard the government are planning to burn all valuable first editions in order to heat the bar in the House of Commons.

This needs to be stopped, Tom. Why won't you stop it?

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I was feeling upbeat and positive about life till I read this thread!

I’ve got my blankets on standby. I’ve got enough cardigans to keep a small Country going and my big knickers will keep me warm.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"The day many turn on their heating, the energy price cap to nearly double and councils planning for libraries to become warm spaces for those who cannot heat their homes.

Could this herald the breakdown of society as we know it. The beginning of a long painful end..."

Councils used libraries and other public spaces as cool zones during the recent heat wave, so it makes sense for them to use them to help warm people up.

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

To be brutally Frank, I think we fucking well deserve it - and I think we need the slap in the face it'll give us.

Time and time again we elect people whose agenda is clearly one of greed and self-interest to the detriment of ordinary people - to detriment of those public services we all depend upon - just so they can slot themselves into the revolving door of corporate back scratching of the kind that allows £37 billion of our taxes to be bunged to a party funder's tax haven in exchange for a mobile app that didn't work... isn't it weird how they don't want us to talk about that? We elect them even when it's crystal clear what they're up to.

So if this is what it takes to wake us all up - all those red wall or "let's get are cuntry back" halfwits, for example - then so fucking be it... we earned it with our stupidity, greed, willful ignorance and hubris.

over a year ago

"To be brutally Frank, I think we fucking well deserve it - and I think we need the slap in the face it'll give us.

Time and time again we elect people whose agenda is clearly one of greed and self-interest to the detriment of ordinary people - to detriment of those public services we all depend upon - just so they can slot themselves into the revolving door of corporate back scratching of the kind that allows £37 billion of our taxes to be bunged to a party funder's tax haven in exchange for a mobile app that didn't work... isn't it weird how they don't want us to talk about that? We elect them even when it's crystal clear what they're up to.

So if this is what it takes to wake us all up - all those red wall or "let's get are cuntry back" halfwits, for example - then so fucking be it... we earned it with our stupidity, greed, willful ignorance and hubris."

You hear that? It's all your fault. I hope you're happy.

By *lym4realCouple
over a year ago

plymouth

Well seeing nearly 40% or even more libaries have shut due to previous cuts to Council budgets etc etc and can see trouble ahead and one report today says if we make cheese truss wins and carries on with her plans she'll crash the entire economy ??

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"Been in a routine in prep for this since last rise. I do find keeping a weekly spreadsheet of readings and cost does help monitor."

I do the same,have spreadsheet for last five years, it makes it easy to compare usage month on month

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Been in a routine in prep for this since last rise. I do find keeping a weekly spreadsheet of readings and cost does help monitor.

I do the same,have spreadsheet for last five years, it makes it easy to compare usage month on month"

It doesn't make it any cheaper though.

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

It's been lost in the national debate somehow - we're actually paying this money to companies and countries who are making massive profits from us - mainly OPEC + and the oil and gas explorers.

The Government need to get a grip of the situation internationally. It's partially the result of the situation in Ukraine but mainly a broken system that allows profiteering from it.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 30/08/22 10:42:45]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Some are saying that those who earn less than 45K a year will be in food poverty "

If that is so we're done for. We don't earn at all and our income is way less than 45k. I qualify for my state pension soon so that's one advantage

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Some are saying that those who earn less than 45K a year will be in food poverty

If that is so we're done for. We don't earn at all and our income is way less than 45k. I qualify for my state pension soon so that's one advantage"

Tom meant fuel poverty

over a year ago

November 5th is also coming i suspect this years could inspire the desperate

over a year ago

I honestly believe this winter will be horrendous, I know with the price rises i will struggle and I earn a decent wage

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"The day many turn on their heating, the energy price cap to nearly double and councils planning for libraries to become warm spaces for those who cannot heat their homes.

I've heard the government are planning to burn all valuable first editions in order to heat the bar in the House of Commons.

This needs to be stopped, Tom. Why won't you stop it?"

They won't need additional heating in the houses of parliament thanks to all the hot air coming from the MPs.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I never turn my heating on before Nov anyway x

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I don’t think I’ve put my heating on before December, maybe once or twice when we’ve had a snowy late November.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Some are saying that those who earn less than 45K a year will be in food poverty

If that is so we're done for. We don't earn at all and our income is way less than 45k. I qualify for my state pension soon so that's one advantage"

That should cover the electric bills then

By *hilledGuyClactonMan
over a year ago

Little clacton

I don't really have the heating on,it ain't been that cold for years at winter.

Most people will notice it, because if British gas have installed your boiler they usually turn the heating on when the temp drops.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Makes you wonder how some people would have survived without central heating. We are in a tiny minority globally, of super privileged people who choose to keep their entire houses toasty warm controlled by computers so the dint even have to think about it . It’s a really bad use of fossil fuels tbh. I have my blankets thick socks and lots of wood to burn for when I’m sat around not moving much

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Makes you wonder how some people would have survived without central heating. We are in a tiny minority globally, of super privileged people who choose to keep their entire houses toasty warm controlled by computers so the dint even have to think about it . It’s a really bad use of fossil fuels tbh. I have my blankets thick socks and lots of wood to burn for when I’m sat around not moving much "

I grew up without central heating.

Coal hole in the outhouse.

No fire on unless we wanted hot water.

I couldn't give a shite about no heating.

I used to love seeing the icicles on the windows on cold days..... even inside.

In fact I didn't have central heating until 1983 and that was because it was in the house we bought.

Same goes for a landline.

And as for the library .......... people have been keeping warm in there for years. It's nothing new.

People will only notice now as it's going to hit them.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Makes you wonder how some people would have survived without central heating. We are in a tiny minority globally, of super privileged people who choose to keep their entire houses toasty warm controlled by computers so the dint even have to think about it . It’s a really bad use of fossil fuels tbh. I have my blankets thick socks and lots of wood to burn for when I’m sat around not moving much "

Most new houses do not have chimneys to burn wood but the environmentalist lobby are succeeding in preventing you from burning wood. Clean air zone coming your way says Tom

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I think we are in for a winter of discontent, something has to give

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Everyone of my peers grew up without central heating. My parents didn't get it installed until after I'd left home. In the worst of winter time us kids used to share beds because it was warmer and mum used to put our dad's great coat on top of our blankets. I can tell you I prefer living in a warm house and I find no virtue in living uncomfortably through a cold winter.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't really have the heating on,it ain't been that cold for years at winter.

Most people will notice it, because if British gas have installed your boiler they usually turn the heating on when the temp drops."

Who turns it on?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If that is so we're done for. We don't earn at all and our income is way less than 45k. I qualify for my state pension soon so that's one advantage

That should cover the electric bills then "

For one month

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

When my mum was alive due to her heart condition and other health issues she needed to be warm all the time. Their heating was on 24/7 and often she'd be covered in a blanket and dad would light a fire too. I used to boil but she was just comfortable. God only knows how they'd have managed this winter and I dread to think how people with similar issues will manage.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Makes you wonder how some people would have survived without central heating. We are in a tiny minority globally, of super privileged people who choose to keep their entire houses toasty warm controlled by computers so the dint even have to think about it . It’s a really bad use of fossil fuels tbh. I have my blankets thick socks and lots of wood to burn for when I’m sat around not moving much

Everyone of my peers grew up without central heating. My parents didn't get it installed until after I'd left home. In the worst of winter time us kids used to share beds because it was warmer and mum used to put our dad's great coat on top of our blankets. I can tell you I prefer living in a warm house and I find no virtue in living uncomfortably through a cold winter."

Yes but it is a luxury - it has a cost to you personally and the planet / future generations. Let’s not pretend it’s an entitlement with no consequences

over a year ago

I lived in the house I'm in now for 4 years with no central heating, just the fire which was a faff to light so hardly ever did.

When I do have the heating on its for about half hour in the morning then maybe an hour on an evening and that's it.

People will sit in their house in a t-shirt and complain they're cold. No shit Sherlock.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"To be brutally Frank, I think we fucking well deserve it - and I think we need the slap in the face it'll give us.

So if this is what it takes to wake us all up - all those red wall or "let's get are cuntry back" halfwits, for example - then so fucking be it... we earned it with our stupidity, greed, willful ignorance and hubris."

You're not wrong.

But people are idiots.

They voted for brexit despite all the warnings. They've continued to vote Tory despite all the warnings. They fell for all the media spin on why JC was a left wing loony despite many of the ideas in his fully costed manifesto now being suggested as solutions by current Tory supporters.

Sadly people can easily be steered and guided by as much as a simple social media lie.

A

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Makes you wonder how some people would have survived without central heating. We are in a tiny minority globally, of super privileged people who choose to keep their entire houses toasty warm controlled by computers so the dint even have to think about it . It’s a really bad use of fossil fuels tbh. I have my blankets thick socks and lots of wood to burn for when I’m sat around not moving much

Everyone of my peers grew up without central heating. My parents didn't get it installed until after I'd left home. In the worst of winter time us kids used to share beds because it was warmer and mum used to put our dad's great coat on top of our blankets. I can tell you I prefer living in a warm house and I find no virtue in living uncomfortably through a cold winter.

Yes but it is a luxury - it has a cost to you personally and the planet / future generations. Let’s not pretend it’s an entitlement with no consequences "

It does have a cost to us all but even pre historic humans had fires. Going without heat entirely is a miserable existence, a perfectly possible one for the fit and able though.

over a year ago

"I lived in the house I'm in now for 4 years with no central heating, just the fire which was a faff to light so hardly ever did.

When I do have the heating on its for about half hour in the morning then maybe an hour on an evening and that's it.

People will sit in their house in a t-shirt and complain they're cold. No shit Sherlock. "

If all else fails I'm starting an OF.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Yes but it is a luxury - it has a cost to you personally and the planet / future generations. Let’s not pretend it’s an entitlement with no consequences "

Whilst I agree some people heat their homes to excessive levels. Warmth is needed, I grew up in house without central heating, and I rarely put it on in my home unless it's very cold. But as a kid living in a cold house, and being prescribed beta blockers just to be able to hold a pen to do my homework, because of the cold, heating isn't always a luxury.

Think it's sometimes easy to say I don't need heating. When you can afford decent insulation for your home, decent think wool socks/blankets and a wood burner. Not everyone is that fortunate.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I think we are in for a winter of discontent, something has to give"

I well remember the last Winter of Discontent 1978/1979, somehow we coped.

I can also remember the Big Freeze of 1962/1963. We broke up from work on Christmas Eve of 1962 and I went back to work in mid March 1963, I was that cold unable dig the gound let alone mix concrete. No pay No benefits.

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

"If people are gonna gather in libraries to keep warm, maybe it brings society a little closer. "

I was thinking this too. They may however group together and start a revolution.

One of my plans is to keep my house at about 16°c and move my Tele into the kitchen which is quite big but a lot smaller than my living room and use the heat from the cooker (after cooking my tea and leaving the door open) to keep me warm.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If people are gonna gather in libraries to keep warm, maybe it brings society a little closer.

I was thinking this too. They may however group together and start a revolution.

One of my plans is to keep my house at about 16°c and move my Tele into the kitchen which is quite big but a lot smaller than my living room and use the heat from the cooker (after cooking my tea and leaving the door open) to keep me warm."

We're planning on one room living and early nights.

over a year ago

"I was feeling upbeat and positive about life till I read this thread!

I’ve got my blankets on standby. I’ve got enough cardigans to keep a small Country going and my big knickers will keep me warm.

"

and I would come and happily keep you warm

over a year ago

Could this herald the breakdown of society as we know it. The beginning of a long painful end..."

No.

Next!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

We will be turning the radiators off in all non essential rooms.

Before winter gets here going to re insulate the loft.

Make sure all the windows shut correctly and draft free.

Probably go to bed earlier in the evenings and watch TV in bed snuggles under the quilt.

Mrs is going to struggle as she's always cold.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

I won't be cold!

"

There's a plan...

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Also most libraries are closed in the evening!!

How the hell are schools and hospitals and nursing homes going to cope??

With heating bills?

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

I'm already prepared ..I've been stockpiling the deep heat..

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Mine won't be going on that early... I'll be under a duvet, a blanket and 6 cats.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm leaving my heating off.

I'm working on adding insulation to my windows (I'm in a flat, it's all I can do).

I have lots of blankets and layers.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Although in previous years I usually got to mid November before turning the heating on. October?!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Also most libraries are closed in the evening!!

With heating bills? "

It's a worry. The care home my mum used to go to for respite was nearly £2000 a week with no nursing care. That's going to have to increase by a huge amount

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

We bake then we freeze. We eat cold food out of tins from a charity and don't wash our clothes for weeks on end...

Wasn't this supposed to be the future of jetcars and pills as food?

over a year ago

I won't be cold!

"

We do love a planner

over a year ago

"Mine won't be going on that early... I'll be under a duvet, a blanket and 6 cats."

Are you crazy yet or will you need to add a couple more cats?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

This will result in civil unrest ...mark my words.

There are not enough police..

The army will be on the streets but there not enough of them either..

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

In my teens we lived in a farmhouse that had no central heating just coal fires, there was as much ice on the inside of the windows as outside and we went to bed with hot water bottles. "

Do you think you'll be content to go back to living like that?

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"This will result in civil unrest ...mark my words.

The army will be on the streets but there not enough of them either.."

No, whichever of them gets to be PM will release some way of reducing the pain to just about manageable levels. This will simultaneously make them look popular whilst also making sure we pay whoever’s school chum owns the energy companies

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

With heating bills?

It's a worry. The care home my mum used to go to for respite was nearly £2000 a week with no nursing care. That's going to have to increase by a huge amount "

I read a story saying that some schools are suggesting a three day week, to try to cope with the bills

over a year ago

Well this has cheered me right up.

over a year ago

Well this has cheered me right up. "

Won't be any worse than the poll tax riots

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Won't be any worse than the poll tax riots "

It will be much worse than the poll tax riots .. talks from chiefs of police that shoplifting to survive and feed children will be the norm...

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

It will be much worse than the poll tax riots .. talks from chiefs of police that shoplifting to survive and feed children will be the norm..."

Still... wE gOt ArE cUntRy bAcK... and all that shit, so let's just take these 'sunlit uplands' on the chin, eh.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

With heating bills? "

It’s not just the heating bills, teacher salary increases and more help for children with uniforms, funded breakfast & after school places etc as parents feel the squeeze on cost of living. Some governing bodies are already taking about having to reduce to a 3-4 day week or make teacher redundancies

over a year ago

It will be much worse than the poll tax riots .. talks from chiefs of police that shoplifting to survive and feed children will be the norm..."

I knew my misspent youth would come in handy.

over a year ago

With heating bills?

It’s not just the heating bills, teacher salary increases and more help for children with uniforms, funded breakfast & after school places etc as parents feel the squeeze on cost of living. Some governing bodies are already taking about having to reduce to a 3-4 day week or make teacher redundancies "

As long as the pubs stay open though right, can you imagine the uproar then!!!

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

A VIOLENT and BRUTAL REVOLUTION is coming there will be carnage try to keep your familys safe

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

With heating bills?

It’s not just the heating bills, teacher salary increases and more help for children with uniforms, funded breakfast & after school places etc as parents feel the squeeze on cost of living. Some governing bodies are already taking about having to reduce to a 3-4 day week or make teacher redundancies

As long as the pubs stay open though right, can you imagine the uproar then!!! "

Many pubs have decided to close ... The Storm is coming ...

over a year ago

It's like bloody Armageddon on here.

Buy a jumper people and some fluffy socks, end of the world is avoided

over a year ago

We're all doomed! As my old dad says

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Yes great idea, plenty of paper to keep the fire going in a library.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And then people will be spared the cold by being transported.

It'll be summer in the colonies, at least

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"It's like bloody Armageddon on here.

Buy a jumper people and some fluffy socks, end of the world is avoided "

I need a seat, JAG is being positive !! Wtf.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I just hate it when people wish the year away. I'm still enjoying the summer.

Winter can wait, I'll worry about it then.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No, whichever of them gets to be PM will release some way of reducing the pain to just about manageable levels. This will simultaneously make them look popular whilst also making sure we pay whoever’s school chum owns the energy companies "

I agree. The election is too close for them to do nothing.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I just hate it when people wish the year away. I'm still enjoying the summer.

Winter can wait, I'll worry about it then."

I'm trying to prepare before it gets cold and people panic

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I'm gonna burn my passport, pretend I don't speak English and get sent to Rwanda.

Be warm over there.

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

Maybe for you Tom but I've got to get to work.

Maybe see you in a library huddled around a radiator but then again, maybe not.

We decided to take the ridiculous step of switching off radiators in rooms we never use and maybe, God forbid, wear warmer clothes and switch heating to 1 hour bursts instead of on all evening.

How you going to cope Tom ?

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

I can see you there, whispering into vulnerable folks ears.

Go on, throw the bottle, you can show them.

You're a bad man Tom, an agitator, a purveyor of grief and doom.

over a year ago

"It's like bloody Armageddon on here.

Buy a jumper people and some fluffy socks, end of the world is avoided

I need a seat, JAG is being positive !! Wtf. "

I'm a ray of sunshine.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"We're all doomed! As my old dad says "

He's not Fraser from Dad's Army is he?

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Winter is coming!

over a year ago

"Winter is coming!"

Yessssssssssssss

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"Winter is coming!

Yessssssssssssss "

Winter draws on.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Just buy a onsie

over a year ago

Brink on the cold dark nights and the snow and the rain

Although with current weather phenomenons I think snow it a tad to much to ask for.

By *oodoo666Man
over a year ago

Halifax

All energy we burn off who needs heating .

Post new Message to Thread