Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Energy price cap

Jump to newest

By *uke Ozade OP   Man
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

Just gone up to £3549 up from £1971 per annum. Do you think it’s justified or just downright profiteering like the oil companies have done this year?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Definitely profiteering

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS
over a year ago

Bodmin

Hardly profiteering when the energy companies don't set the price cap....ofgem do that

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I’m buying shares in sleeping bags & coats

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I’m buying shares in sleeping bags & coats"

I'm buying shares in crematoriums. A lot of people will die, I make bank and keep warm all in one fell swoop

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I’m buying shares in sleeping bags & coats

I'm buying shares in crematoriums. A lot of people will die, I make bank and keep warm all in one fell swoop"

I think a lot of gas bills will be going un-paid, and I don’t mean as a protest!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Heart breaks reading this. How the fuck are people going to live?

We're on a fixed tariff thingy until next November luckily.

Heard a wee man on the radio the other day talking about how he has a slice of toast for his dinner every night.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I'm buying shares in crematoriums. A lot of people will die, I make bank and keep warm all in one fell swoop

I think a lot of gas bills will be going un-paid, and I don’t mean as a protest!"

Yup. What a time to be alive eh?

over a year ago

Lucky for me, that I’m about to go onto a fat loss block of training. I won’t be able to afford to eat anyway. Sticking to the program will be a piece of piss.

I predict a lot of early nights for people, to keep warm, and a lot of misery for the winter ahead.

over a year ago

If your making record profit at 1900 how much you gonna make at 3500 is it time to hunt humans yet?

over a year ago

Whilst prices have gone up I don't think the majority of us will end up paying anywhere near the maximum. There has always been a price cap it's just always been lower but most people wouldn't have even been close to that amount anyway.

I think things are going to get tougher but I don't think they are going to get as tough as we are being led to believe. I have a sneaking suspicion things will be a little bit easier than we are currently being told then the government will claim it was a success on their part.

By *atfuckerbristolMan
over a year ago

Wells

I don’t think it’s either. It’s poor regulation of the industry.

Energy companies don’t make a ton of money from us regular folks, but Ofgem - who are meant to represent the interests of consumers - seem oblivious to the economics of energy. There really isn’t competition in the market at present because they’ve basically set a price via the cap which the companies would be bonkers not to charge us!

over a year ago

"Heart breaks reading this. How the fuck are people going to live?

We're on a fixed tariff thingy until next November luckily.

Heard a wee man on the radio the other day talking about how he has a slice of toast for his dinner every night. "

But does he have a slice of toast out of necessity or because he is frightened that if he doesn't cut right back now or he won't be able to cope? If people are currently really struggling right now that has very little to do with price rises as things haven't gone up very much at the moment, Not to the point where someone who was previously able to eat a full meal can now only eat a slice of toast in the evening.

over a year ago

I'm buying shares in crematoriums. A lot of people will die, I make bank and keep warm all in one fell swoop"

My biggest fear is that people will die out of fear rather than because they genuinely cannot afford to put the heating on enough to be able to survive.

over a year ago

Oh i so love how ofgem is blaming russia yet were already putting up the prices of energy 4 months before it began and were projected to do so the next 2 years anyway oh its all russias fault the gas withdrawal lying cunts lot of em

over a year ago

"Oh i so love how ofgem is blaming russia yet were already putting up the prices of energy 4 months before it began and were projected to do so the next 2 years anyway oh its all russias fault the gas withdrawal lying cunts lot of em "

Exactly!

Whilst the situation in Russia has added to this it is not completely to do with that at all.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Look at your bill from last year.

Now times that by 2.8

That’s about what your bill will be this year

I truly hope everyone’s ok and can get buy. It’s gonna get tough.

over a year ago

"Whilst prices have gone up I don't think the majority of us will end up paying anywhere near the maximum. There has always been a price cap it's just always been lower but most people wouldn't have even been close to that amount anyway.

I think things are going to get tougher but I don't think they are going to get as tough as we are being led to believe. I have a sneaking suspicion things will be a little bit easier than we are currently being told then the government will claim it was a success on their part. "

Cynical thoughts about the government. But I think you're absolutely right!

over a year ago

It's not just people in homes, it's affecting businesses too.

over a year ago

"Whilst prices have gone up I don't think the majority of us will end up paying anywhere near the maximum. There has always been a price cap it's just always been lower but most people wouldn't have even been close to that amount anyway.

I think things are going to get tougher but I don't think they are going to get as tough as we are being led to believe. I have a sneaking suspicion things will be a little bit easier than we are currently being told then the government will claim it was a success on their part.

Cynical thoughts about the government. But I think you're absolutely right! "

I honestly genuinely believe the government are going to come riding in on a shining white horse. I'm not diminishing anybody that is struggling but as I have said above I think the biggest issue right now is fear. Fear worked well to control us and our behaviour during the pandemic, I have a sneaking suspicion that is part of what is happening now so that we all change our behaviour and expect less.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"It's not just people in homes, it's affecting businesses too.

"

Most town centres by April/may 2023 are going to be dead. People are struggling with the bills, businesses will be struggling with bills AND people can’t afford to go use said business

Tough tones ahead. Seriously considering bypassing my meter

over a year ago

Most town centres by April/may 2023 are going to be dead. People are struggling with the bills, businesses will be struggling with bills AND people can’t afford to go use said business

Tough tones ahead. Seriously considering bypassing my meter "

I genuinely don't think so because we were told this when we had the credit crunch back in 2007.

over a year ago

"Just gone up to £3549 up from £1971 per annum. Do you think it’s justified or just downright profiteering like the oil companies have done this year? "

Predicted to be £5836 from January

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"I’m buying shares in sleeping bags & coats"

You’ll get a better return on your money if you buy shares in an energy company

over a year ago

It lets them reduce it just as quickly as they can rise the prices apparently ….. yeh right!?!?

I remember hearing that reasoning which is hilarious.

over a year ago

Isle of man have frozen prices untill 2023....how about that

By *uke Ozade OP   Man
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

What really gets me is that almost half the energy is renewable in the U.K. so even the excuse of blaming Russia can’t justify the increases over the last couple of years and those predicted to come.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Tough tones ahead. Seriously considering bypassing my meter

I genuinely don't think so because we were told this when we had the credit crunch back in 2007. "

I can only hope your right. From what I’ve read o think it’s gonna be a rough one. But I hope I’m wrong

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"Just gone up to £3549 up from £1971 per annum. Do you think it’s justified or just downright profiteering like the oil companies have done this year? "

Nothing to do with domestic UK policies. Energy prices have risen internationally on surging in demand post-Covid, exacerbated by restrictions from Russia. That said, energy companies are seizing the opportunity to maximise profits in volatile markets.

over a year ago

"

massivly cos its a live market none contracted businesses have to work with they have been getting this increase the whole time they dont get a cap

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

There have always been extreme cases. Fortunately, our bills haven’t gone up by very much yet and we could make considerable sacrifices if we needed to.

A nearby shopping outlet recently was absolutely rammed with people - most of them had several carrier bags from the designer shops! Ordinary people who will all be facing the same price increases but happily spending £100’s of pounds on a Ralph Lauren spree!

Blows my mind !!

over a year ago

Ours went up as expected, but for the past two months we have been in credit although I'm sure that will change during the winter months.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

That sounds insensitive and dismisive of so many people who are already struggling even before the massive new increases coming up. And these are not just a few extreme cases

over a year ago

"Definitely profiteering"

The energy suppliers have to pay to get gas because we can't get it from Russia...its the gas companies not your supplier who make money

over a year ago

"Definitely profiteering

The energy suppliers have to pay to get gas because we can't get it from Russia...its the gas companies not your supplier who make money"

We only used to get around about 8% of our gas from Russia anyway and for the 1st time last week we didn't use any gas from Russia.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"

That's going to cause real problems over the winter and will drive inflation up but also see a lot of businesses close

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Just gone up to £3549 up from £1971 per annum. Do you think it’s justified or just downright profiteering like the oil companies have done this year?

Nothing to do with domestic UK policies. Energy prices have risen internationally on surging in demand post-Covid, exacerbated by restrictions from Russia. That said, energy companies are seizing the opportunity to maximise profits in volatile markets. "

While this is true other countries have dealt with it very differently

over a year ago

"That sounds insensitive and dismisive of so many people who are already struggling even before the massive new increases coming up. And these are not just a few extreme cases "

If that was directed at me, I don't see how it is insensitive or dismissive, I was only saying how our energy Bill's have gone up to "X" amount, but for some reason are in credit.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I want to punch someone at the BBC

Their scaremongering is unbelievable (crikey)

Yes it will affect us all, but the majority won’t pay up to the max cap!!

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

"Ours went up as expected, but for the past two months we have been in credit although I'm sure that will change during the winter months."

Same for us!! We discovered we were paying way more than our friends anyway so the % increase was negligible for us, compared to a huge rise for friends.

Even some of my colleagues admitted their bill last year was only around £80 pm

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Businesses are giing to sufffer

The price cap scares people

Its the unit price on your bills.

Example i was paying 45£ dd per month in total fir gas and electric and in credit. Its now £80 dd but im in credit.

It will go up again.

Based on my usage, even at £100 per month, theat £1200...nowhere near price cap figures.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"That sounds insensitive and dismisive of so many people who are already struggling even before the massive new increases coming up. And these are not just a few extreme cases

If that was directed at me, I don't see how it is insensitive or dismissive, I was only saying how our energy Bill's have gone up to "X" amount, but for some reason are in credit. "

The 'some reason' is the companies encourage you to pay more in the summer so that you lay less in the winter ahd it balances out

over a year ago

"I want to punch someone at the BBC

Yes it will affect us all, but the majority won’t pay up to the max cap!! "

I've just had a very quick look and with the £400 pounds we get from the government plus the £150 warm home discount we will probably be paying an extra an £100/£150 pounds this year compared to last. This will be mitigated by the extra support from the government that has been offered to us. Food costs and other things will go up and we will be paying more but it will not get to the point where we will not be able to keep relatively warm and fed. We will adapt of course and we will change our behaviour slightly but I'm with you on this and I think the biggest problem at the moment is the amount of fear being spread and that is what will cost lives.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Early during the covid crisis the population were controlled by fear.

I suspect the same tactic is being used now re the price cap.

I suspect it's also part of forcing people into using different forms of energy.

The same tactics are used on the population as are used during war. Make life hard for them and they will do as you want and call you master.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Businesses are giing to sufffer

The price cap scares people

Its the unit price on your bills.

Example i was paying 45£ dd per month in total fir gas and electric and in credit. Its now £80 dd but im in credit.

It will go up again.

Based on my usage, even at £100 per month, theat £1200...nowhere near price cap figures."

In monetary terms you aren't paying a huge amount buy the increase is 75%. If it goes up to £100 that's a 125% increase.

Now imagine your starting point fir bills was £300 a month not £45...

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Something in what you have said needs to be clarified as it is important

The price cap figure of 3549 is the AVERAGE price cap…. Not the MAXIMUM!

There is actually no maximum!

Average usage…

People on pre payment meters will be on higher rates.. same for people in certain parts of the country as it’s actually regionally adjusted slightly…

For the average family you will end up paying for the 3 months from October is equivalent to what you would have paid for the entirety of 2021!

That is the cold hard facts…

For pensioners just living on on the maximum new state pension… the average new price cap would account for 37% of it

over a year ago

Average usage…

People on pre payment meters will be on higher rates.. same for people in certain parts of the country as it’s actually regionally adjusted slightly…

For the average family you will end up paying for the 3 months from October is equivalent to what you would have paid for the entirety of 2021!

For pensioners just living on on the maximum new state pension… the average new price cap would account for 37% of it"

We are on a pre payment meter And our predicted rise is less than our next door neighbour who also has the same size flat and same number of people living in it Told me 4 days ago their direct debit payments had increased by 50%. The problem is companies are putting up people's direct debits even when they are in credit.

over a year ago

"Ours went up as expected, but for the past two months we have been in credit although I'm sure that will change during the winter months.

Same for us!! We discovered we were paying way more than our friends anyway so the % increase was negligible for us, compared to a huge rise for friends.

Even some of my colleagues admitted their bill last year was only around £80 pm "

Ours increased by just under or just over 50%, I just don't like the idea of people being coerced into taking these expensive plans, causing anxiety and stress, to then be told you have paid too much. I do get that others have really gone up, a relative of mine refused to go DD and is now paying just over 350per month..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ours went up as expected, but for the past two months we have been in credit although I'm sure that will change during the winter months.

Ours increased by just under or just over 50%, I just don't like the idea of people being coerced into taking these expensive plans, causing anxiety and stress, to then be told you have paid too much. I do get that others have really gone up, a relative of mine refused to go DD and is now paying just over 350per month.."

If we think our direct debit has been increased by too much we put it down to what we think it should be. Anyone can do the same (unless they're paying off debt)

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

No it is not, it is by design.

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Not just the BBC - sky is just as bad with their headlines. So are the newspapers actually.

Sometimes I think the narrative emboldens companies to enact above inflationary price rises. Particularly re fuel but also food. Lots of 20–30% roses going on in the shops right now, despite the headline inflation figures being at 10%.

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

"No it is not, it is by design."
Most of these "crisis" are by design to make profit.

over a year ago

I was just listening to Martin Lewis talk on bc breakfast and he had some really good advice for anybody who thinks they are going to massively struggle to pay their bills and would advice people watch it on iplayer.

over a year ago

Ours increased by just under or just over 50%, I just don't like the idea of people being coerced into taking these expensive plans, causing anxiety and stress, to then be told you have paid too much. I do get that others have really gone up, a relative of mine refused to go DD and is now paying just over 350per month..

If we think our direct debit has been increased by too much we put it down to what we think it should be. Anyone can do the same (unless they're paying off debt)"

I did not realise we could decrease DD amount, we thought that was dictated by energy company.

over a year ago

If we think our direct debit has been increased by too much we put it down to what we think it should be. Anyone can do the same (unless they're paying off debt)

I did not realise we could decrease DD amount, we thought that was dictated by energy company."

As above Martin Lewis has some really good advice on this kind of thing so worth looking up.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I did not realise we could decrease DD amount, we thought that was dictated by energy company."

They can put it up or reduce it but ultimately you have control. We do it on line and I reduced my dad's last week on line. He'd been paying £260 a month because they have been estimating his bill. We read his meters and reduced his dd by £40 a month.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"No it is not, it is by design.Most of these "crisis" are by design to make profit."

And whilevother countries try to help people our PM is applauding the energy companies and reminding us profit is good.

The profits some of these companies have posted this year is obscene, the removal of the cap is a licence yo print money

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Definitely profiteering

The energy suppliers have to pay to get gas because we can't get it from Russia...its the gas companies not your supplier who make money"

I didnt specify who would be profiteering

By *lark_KentMan
over a year ago

Smallville

"Hardly profiteering when the energy companies don't set the price cap....ofgem do that"

It's a price cap, but the energy companies don't have to put the prices up...oh wait yes they do, to make even more profit for the shareholders

Energy companies need to be renationalised quickly

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Just be aware that the high DD is for a reason. It levels out your bill across the year. Pay too much in the summer when bills are lower so you don’t get stung in winter when the hearing comes on

Lower it if you want, but it’s designed to create a buffer on your account so winter bills don’t hit as hard

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I was just listening to Martin Lewis talk on bc breakfast and he had some really good advice for anybody who thinks they are going to massively struggle to pay their bills and would advice people watch it on iplayer. "

The problem is, I find it hard to workout what it means to me specifically (1 man, 3 bed terrace house) - electric appliances- gas heating)

Currently paying £147 a month DD, but hardly use anything as far as I can tell. I live in 2 rooms mainly and don’t leave stuff on etc..

Obviously change for in the winter.

Should probably ring the company.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I was paying £30pw on my electric and £20pw on my gas.

Now my electricity is £50 pw, yes I have £12pw for a debt accrued ages ago but it's still definitely getting ridiculous now x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I was just listening to Martin Lewis talk on bc breakfast and he had some really good advice for anybody who thinks they are going to massively struggle to pay their bills and would advice people watch it on iplayer.

The problem is, I find it hard to workout what it means to me specifically (1 man, 3 bed terrace house) - electric appliances- gas heating)

Currently paying £147 a month DD, but hardly use anything as far as I can tell. I live in 2 rooms mainly and don’t leave stuff on etc..

"

Are you in credit, have you got a smart meter and do you access your energy account on line?

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

I'm not sure what the cost of household energy is in other countries but if the reports I have seen are correct we are being ripped off.

We have oil and gas but the price is set on the international market so even if we use our own energy we aren't going to see any difference.

When I heard the report in the news this morning, for the first time in my life, I thought fuck it it's time to move to southern Europe. But I can't even do that, Brexit fucked that.

I may be a cynic but this government, in my opinion, are trying to kill people off so they don't have to pay the benefits people have worked for. This started with the rise in the retirement age.

#supplyanddemandshouldbeillegal

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Average usage…

For pensioners just living on on the maximum new state pension… the average new price cap would account for 37% of it"

This totally. I think some people don’t understand that a cap is actually on the cost of kilowatt hours. The cost double what it was last week and 2 1/2 times what it was last year.

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I was just listening to Martin Lewis talk on bc breakfast and he had some really good advice for anybody who thinks they are going to massively struggle to pay their bills and would advice people watch it on iplayer.

Are you in credit, have you got a smart meter and do you access your energy account on line?"

Yes

Last time I looked I was yes. Not by a huge amount relative to what I’m paying though.

Yes (do these smart meters make a difference?)

over a year ago

It’s absolutely disgusting how it’s allowed. Making billions in profit each time, whilst increasing the cost.

It’s horrible I really feel for people. I think the consequences of the rise will be horrendous. In many ways.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Are you in credit, have you got a smart meter and do you access your energy account on line?

Yes

Last time I looked I was yes. Not by a huge amount relative to what I’m paying though.

Yes (do these smart meters make a difference?)"

I got one and I’m never off the app . You can see exactly what you’re spending each hour. See which things are costing more etc. Definitely worth it!

By *alpMan
over a year ago

Armitage

I'm at home with nothing on.." used to be sexy - now it means I've unplugged all the unused appliances and turned the telly off.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yes

Yes (do these smart meters make a difference?)"

If you're not in credit by much it's probably not worth changing your dd taking into account the huge price increase. Smart meters are useful to us only because they let you see at a glance how much energy you're using so you can have sleepless nights , I suspect they benefit the energy companies far more. Basically we watch our usage and adjust what we pay accordingly with extra to build up a credit

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"That sounds insensitive and dismisive of so many people who are already struggling even before the massive new increases coming up. And these are not just a few extreme cases

If that was directed at me, I don't see how it is insensitive or dismissive, I was only saying how our energy Bill's have gone up to "X" amount, but for some reason are in credit. "

Sorry, it was not. I did not use the reply and quote. It was in response to someone who said that there are only a few extreme cases that this will affect as people seem to have money to be buing luxury goods etc. And they are certainly lots who don't and they are not just extreme cases.

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"It’s absolutely disgusting how it’s allowed. Making billions in profit each time, whilst increasing the cost.

It’s horrible I really feel for people. I think the consequences of the rise will be horrendous. In many ways."

Especially when you read that the pay of FTSE 100 bosses (including BP, Glencore etc..) has risen 39% in the last year.

Sometimes I wonder how long people will continue to vote for this way of living.

over a year ago

"

I will try and find it but I found a really useful personal inflation calculator on the bcc website a few days ago. It was really helpful to show me exactly what it meant for me and my household personally, Our personal inflation was 5.5% I really would encourage people to do this as it may relieve some people's fears.

over a year ago

I did not realise we could decrease DD amount, we thought that was dictated by energy company.

Just be aware that the high DD is for a reason. It levels out your bill across the year. Pay too much in the summer when bills are lower so you don’t get stung in winter when the hearing comes on

Lower it if you want, but it’s designed to create a buffer on your account so winter bills don’t hit as hard "

This is true but I used to work for an energy supplier and we basically guessed what a DD should be set at. Some people were in thousands of credit and all we’d do is reduce the direct debit to even it out.

The best thing to do is set your direct debit slightly higher than what you use and submit meter reading regularly.

over a year ago

Average usage…

For pensioners just living on on the maximum new state pension… the average new price cap would account for 37% of it

This totally. I think some people don’t understand that a cap is actually on the cost of kilowatt hours. The cost double what it was last week and 2 1/2 times what it was last year.

"

Not according to what the man from often has just said on the bcc. He said the cap was the highest about companies could charge and individual household.

over a year ago

If that was directed at me, I don't see how it is insensitive or dismissive, I was only saying how our energy Bill's have gone up to "X" amount, but for some reason are in credit.

Sorry, it was not. I did not use the reply and quote. It was in response to someone who said that there are only a few extreme cases that this will affect as people seem to have money to be buing luxury goods etc. And they are certainly lots who don't and they are not just extreme cases. "

My bad, jumping in two feet first as per usual.

over a year ago

Sorry, it was not. I did not use the reply and quote. It was in response to someone who said that there are only a few extreme cases that this will affect as people seem to have money to be buing luxury goods etc. And they are certainly lots who don't and they are not just extreme cases. "

I think it was aimed at it will be a few extreme cases where people can literally not eat or heat. S is going to be difficult but I really don't think for the majority of households it is going to be as dire as people going cold and hungry.

over a year ago

"It’s absolutely disgusting how it’s allowed. Making billions in profit each time, whilst increasing the cost.

It’s horrible I really feel for people. I think the consequences of the rise will be horrendous. In many ways.

Especially when you read that the pay of FTSE 100 bosses (including BP, Glencore etc..) has risen 39% in the last year.

Sometimes I wonder how long people will continue to vote for this way of living. "

It’s just unbelievable greed and when they are ever questioned to justify it, they say that they’re investing back into the company finding more renewable sources and improving pipelines etc

… load of rubbish

over a year ago

Lower it if you want, but it’s designed to create a buffer on your account so winter bills don’t hit as hard "

I totally get what you are saying, as previously mentioned,when we were on a variable rate and paid same amount each week, we would always take a yearly payment as in credit every year, and couple of those years was a good few hundred pounds.

Think we will keep it as it is for now, as I agree.. Winter is coming...

over a year ago

Sometimes I wonder how long people will continue to vote for this way of living.

It’s just unbelievable greed and when they are ever questioned to justify it, they say that they’re investing back into the company finding more renewable sources and improving pipelines etc

… load of rubbish "

ofgem gay on news this morning had me in shouty mode blaming russia does he not realise this was all forcast last august 3 months before the war and yet nobody pulled him on that fact once just shows the bbc are controlled by the government also either that or bright as a black hole when asking questions

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

… load of rubbish ofgem gay on news this morning had me in shouty mode blaming russia does he not realise this was all forcast last august 3 months before the war and yet nobody pulled him on that fact once just shows the bbc are controlled by the government also either that or bright as a black hole when asking questions"

Well the director general is an ex tory, so it's hardly surprising really.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

Sorry, it was not. I did not use the reply and quote. It was in response to someone who said that there are only a few extreme cases that this will affect as people seem to have money to be buing luxury goods etc. And they are certainly lots who don't and they are not just extreme cases.

My bad, jumping in two feet first as per usual. "

It was me. I said there have always been extreme cases, not that there are only a few extreme cases.

I was just pointing out an observation that in spite of people worrying about increases, there’s evidence that they’re still spending on luxuries.

It was by no means dismissive or insensitive!

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

There are some misapprehensions on this thread so it's worth pointing out that the concern is not the absolute figure people have to pay whether that's £3.5k now or £5.5k in Jan. Those are only illustrative figures based on average household energy use.

It's the proportionate increase that is truly cataclysmic. If people are struggling with bills now that are already nearly twice what they were a year ago they will be truly fucked if they have to pay 3 times more regardless of whether or not that it is even close to £5.5k.

over a year ago

I don't agree with the narrative that only extreme cases will go hungry and cold. People cannot withstand an 80% rise in average energy costs and an average 10% rise in food costs without being significantly affected. The energy cap will rise again in Jan and again in April. It's estimated the cap will top £5000 by April. More people will live in poverty.

over a year ago

… load of rubbish ofgem gay on news this morning had me in shouty mode blaming russia does he not realise this was all forcast last august 3 months before the war and yet nobody pulled him on that fact once just shows the bbc are controlled by the government also either that or bright as a black hole when asking questions

Well the director general is an ex tory, so it's hardly surprising really."

il stand by my prediction of large scale rioting and looting by november

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I will be managing my own dd this year and stay on variable. They tried to up my dd to over £500pm a few weeks back even though I had quite a substantial credit and last year my spend was well below the price cap. They just do what they like unfortunately. If it was not so painful, it would be laughable. As others have said, it is a global thing but other countries are managing this miles better and not allowing their citizens to take the full impact of this.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"There are some misapprehensions on this thread so it's worth pointing out that the concern is not the absolute figure people have to pay whether that's £3.5k now or £5.5k in Jan. Those are only illustrative figures based on average household energy use.

It's the proportionate increase that is truly cataclysmic. If people are struggling with bills now that are already nearly twice what they were a year ago they will be truly fucked if they have to pay 3 times more regardless of whether or not that it is even close to £5.5k."

Exactly. I’m not one for scare mongering etc but it’s scary as fuck! Not just energy. Food, petrol, mortgage. It’s an absolute nightmare.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don't agree with the narrative that only extreme cases will go hungry and cold. People cannot withstand an 80% rise in average energy costs and an average 10% rise in food costs without being significantly affected. The energy cap will rise again in Jan and again in April. It's estimated the cap will top £5000 by April. More people will live in poverty. "

I agree. I don’t think it will be extreme cases either.

over a year ago

It's a ploy. The company and representatives still receiving bonuses and record years of earning. Its theft. Tax, vat a raise in prices for something that could be free. Its extortion.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

… load of rubbish ofgem gay on news this morning had me in shouty mode blaming russia does he not realise this was all forcast last august 3 months before the war and yet nobody pulled him on that fact once just shows the bbc are controlled by the government also either that or bright as a black hole when asking questions"

Partly… the cap is based on the 10 month period.. this one is between 1 dec and 1sept….

Prices were already going up in December from where they were earlier on in the year (which accounted for the then big rise in April 21) the Ukraine situation basically compounded that problem because global gas prices have spiked since!

The other issue is that the price cap was set every 6 months…. From October it’s changing from 6 monthly to 3 monthly… and we are basically already 7 months into the 10 month period for January 22 price cap

This is going to get a whole lot worse… prediction at the moment that the Jan 22 price cap could be in the 5000 plus range!

over a year ago

"I will be managing my own dd this year and stay on variable. They tried to up my dd to over £500pm a few weeks back even though I had quite a substantial credit and last year my spend was well below the price cap. They just do what they like unfortunately. If it was not so painful, it would be laughable. As others have said, it is a global thing but other countries are managing this miles better and not allowing their citizens to take the full impact of this. "
other countrys managing a crisis better than the uk nooooo nooooo im not having that were better at managing crisis than anyone in the world ever

over a year ago

"I will be managing my own dd this year and stay on variable. They tried to up my dd to over £500pm a few weeks back even though I had quite a substantial credit and last year my spend was well below the price cap. They just do what they like unfortunately. If it was not so painful, it would be laughable. As others have said, it is a global thing but other countries are managing this miles better and not allowing their citizens to take the full impact of this. other countrys managing a crisis better than the uk nooooo nooooo im not having that were better at managing crisis than anyone in the world ever "

Could not agree more.

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

… load of rubbish "

Yes - people allow it by continuing to vote in governments that encourage it. Meanwhile, the Haves have everything, the have-nots, very little, ...and the middle, well, we pay for both.

Simplistic perhaps, but there you go.

I'm not a socialist before anyone gets hysterical, but I do believe people should start to think about whether they(and their loved ones) want to live in a fairer society.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Will it affect global warming if we all use our cookers and heating less.

over a year ago

I have seen people on this thread saying energy prices have already doubled for most households.

We are on a pre payment metre and have only been topping up both the gas about an extra £5 a month and the electricity is the same as its always been but we always make sure we have plenty of credit anyway. Has anybody on a prepayment metre noticed they are paying double?

Everyone I know that is on a prepayment metre isn't and in a similar situation to us so it seems to be it's the direct debits going up that is the problem.

over a year ago

"Will it affect global warming if we all use our cookers and heating less."

If I'm being cynical I think this is an exercise in us changing our behaviour.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Will it affect global warming if we all use our cookers and heating less.

If I'm being cynical I think this is an exercise in us changing our behaviour. "

Paranoid me says it's all a conspiracy!

over a year ago

"

I don't believe it is a conspiracy, It's quite obvious there are several factors as to why the cost of living has gone up but what I do find interesting is how quickly people are prepared to just put up with it and change their behaviour rather than demand better.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

Early during the covid crisis the population were controlled by fear.

I suspect it's also part of forcing people into using different forms of energy.

The same tactics are used on the population as are used during war. Make life hard for them and they will do as you want and call you master.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I have a strong feeling that this is engineered. Im not so much a conspiracy theorist but I am mistrusting of gvt motives

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I have seen people on this thread saying energy prices have already doubled for most households.

We are on a pre payment metre and have only been topping up both the gas about an extra £5 a month and the electricity is the same as its always been but we always make sure we have plenty of credit anyway. Has anybody on a prepayment metre noticed they are paying double?

Everyone I know that is on a prepayment metre isn't and in a similar situation to us so it seems to be it's the direct debits going up that is the problem. "

Mine was changed to a smart meter recently and I'm putting about 50% more on I think, not including a debt of a few hundred pounds coming off that totted up when the meter wasn't working. That's £5 a week, plus about another £20/£25 a week.

over a year ago

"I have seen people on this thread saying energy prices have already doubled for most households.

Everyone I know that is on a prepayment metre isn't and in a similar situation to us so it seems to be it's the direct debits going up that is the problem.

Mine was changed to a smart meter recently and I'm putting about 50% more on I think, not including a debt of a few hundred pounds coming off that totted up when the meter wasn't working. That's £5 a week, plus about another £20/£25 a week.

"

See we won't have a smart metre.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Waiting for someonw to mention the ration coupons, stiff upper lip and ww2 community spirit

over a year ago

"

Do you think the smart metre saves you money compared to what you were paying before minus the debt obviously.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I have a strong feeling that this is engineered. Im not so much a conspiracy theorist but I am mistrusting of gvt motives"

Think about it Gran.

Covid killed off a lot of sick and old people.

The heatwave probably killed more.

They're bringing in Albanian police to help with illegal migration on the English Channel.

Come winter more old and infirm people will die.

Conspiracy theorists dream.

over a year ago

"I have a strong feeling that this is engineered. Im not so much a conspiracy theorist but I am mistrusting of gvt motives"

I'm a similar mindset and I'm also pretty irritated by the fact we Are being told we should put up with it because of what the Ukrainians are going through. We were 1st told we were facing a cost of living crisis this Winter last year, A good 5 months before the war in Ukraine started.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Do you think the smart metre saves you money compared to what you were paying before minus the debt obviously. "

I don't think. I can just watch the screen and see where my money's going.

My washing machine uses 74p/hr when it heats the water and 54p/hr when it spins.

At the moment I'm using 3p/hr with just my fridge running and my phone charging.

I do turn appliances off at the mains when they aren't being used now.

over a year ago

"I have a strong feeling that this is engineered. Im not so much a conspiracy theorist but I am mistrusting of gvt motives

Think about it Gran.

Covid killed off a lot of sick and old people.

The heatwave probably killed more.

They're bringing in Albanian police to help with illegal migration on the English Channel.

Come winter more old and infirm people will die.

Conspiracy theorists dream.

"

Thing is it isn't a conspiracy if it actually is happening. I remember at the beginning of the pandemic I was really annoyed by all the conspiracy theories and people saying this was just the beginning of the government trying to control us and get us to change our behaviour. Doesn't seem quite so crazy now though does it.

over a year ago

Do you think the smart metre saves you money compared to what you were paying before minus the debt obviously.

My washing machine uses 74p/hr when it heats the water and 54p/hr when it spins.

At the moment I'm using 3p/hr with just my fridge running and my phone charging.

I do turn appliances off at the mains when they aren't being used now."

Do you see much of a difference if you lower the temp? I wash on 30 degrees mostly

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Do you see much of a difference if you lower the temp? I wash on 30 degrees mostly"

I've always washed on 30° so I wouldn't notice but the time goes up by 5 minutes on the washing machine so it must cost more.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Everyone I know that is on a prepayment metre isn't and in a similar situation to us so it seems to be it's the direct debits going up that is the problem. "

We are on pre payment fir electricity and a metre for gas we use minimal gas on the summer but our electricity has definitely increased. We are currently paying around £40-45 a month, last year it was £25-30 (we only have a one bedroom flat and have a relatively simple lifestyle) in the summer and £40-45 in the winter so there is an increase but its not huge money wise though as a percentage its quite a hike! We are quite fortunate we expect it to increase to about £75-80 and can easily absorb that.

I do wonder if people on pre payment metres are naturally more frugal?

over a year ago

We are on pre payment fir electricity and a metre for gas we use minimal gas on the summer but our electricity has definitely increased. We are currently paying around £40-45 a month, last year it was £25-30 (we only have a one bedroom flat and have a relatively simple lifestyle) in the summer and £40-45 in the winter so there is an increase but its not huge money wise though as a percentage its quite a hike! We are quite fortunate we expect it to increase to about £75-80 and can easily absorb that.

I do wonder if people on pre payment metres are naturally more frugal? "

I think so because you can literally see the money counting down.

over a year ago

Do you see much of a difference if you lower the temp? I wash on 30 degrees mostly

I've always washed on 30° so I wouldn't notice but the time goes up by 5 minutes on the washing machine so it must cost more. "

I was thinking more of heating the water to a higher temp but I will take a look at the timings. When it's fixed. Sigh.

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I've always washed on 30° so I wouldn't notice but the time goes up by 5 minutes on the washing machine so it must cost more.

I was thinking more of heating the water to a higher temp but I will take a look at the timings. When it's fixed. Sigh. "

Actually the guy who installed my smart meter said washing at 30 degrees or even 20, saves a bunch. Kettles are also a drain apparently. Same with vacuum cleaners and hairdryers. Chargers left plugged in - no good. TV etc… turn off at plug.

All advice I took …except re the hairdryer for obvious reasons!

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I do wonder if people on pre payment metres are naturally more frugal? "

Definitely! You can often hear me shouting “turn that bloody fan off. I don’t care if it’s 48 degrees in that bedroom!”

over a year ago

This is what I was wondering, now I'm in Northern Ireland, but we top ares up £15 a month and would of gotten a full week of a household of 2 it's went up maybe a fiver a week. We have have oil so just have to top up the tank for the winter.

By *hilledGuyClactonMan
over a year ago

Clacton on sea

My electric went from around £25 a week,been costing around £100 now..

Already been helping mates out with food shopping and basic sanitary products.They work full time and cannot afford to live.

over a year ago

This is what I was wondering, now I'm in Northern Ireland, but we top ares up £15 a month and would of gotten a full week of a household of 2 it's went up maybe a fiver a week. We have have oil so just have to top up the tank for the winter."

Sorry £15 a week not month, it's a three bedroom house, although we only have on what we need when using always have.

By *exi_LexiTV/TS
over a year ago

wales

There's alot of wooden telegraph poles around that could produce some good firewood for the winter, think ill buy a chainsaw this weekend

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

"Early during the covid crisis the population were controlled by fear.

The same tactics are used on the population as are used during war. Make life hard for them and they will do as you want and call you master. "

Yes and with that fear came mass formation.

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/08/22 11:02:21]

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

"No it is not, it is by design.Most of these "crisis" are by design to make profit.

And whilevother countries try to help people our PM is applauding the energy companies and reminding us profit is good.

The profits some of these companies have posted this year is obscene, the removal of the cap is a licence yo print money"

Yes, they are making big profits too.

over a year ago

I can see a return to something like the Poll Tax riots....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Not yet… I actually chose to go pre payment as in the past I really didn’t like dd.. they will go up I think as off oct 1! … also find out which company you are with and how they are going to get you out the 400 pounds.. I know some are sending out cheques where as others are sending text codes that can be used for prepaid in shops

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I can see a return to something like the Poll Tax riots...."

It’s possible - particularly given how detached the Gov and leadership candidates seem from the reality of what is going on for people around this. Personally, I think it will cost them at the next election …without Boris to prop them up.

over a year ago

"I can see a return to something like the Poll Tax riots....

It’s possible - particularly given how detached the Gov and leadership candidates seem from the reality of what is going on for people around this. Personally, I think it will cost them at the next election …without Boris to prop them up. "

The French wouldn’t put up with this.

over a year ago

Also be aware of the tactics energy companies are using to get you into a fixed tariff.

If you are coming to the end of a tariff the energy company will try and convince you to fix for another 2 years. However their fixed offering is way way above the current variable rate. Your variable rate will be more than it was last year but will still be cheaper than the fixed tariff being offered and will allow you to benefit when prices to start to go down.

over a year ago

"I can see a return to something like the Poll Tax riots....

It’s possible - particularly given how detached the Gov and leadership candidates seem from the reality of what is going on for people around this. Personally, I think it will cost them at the next election …without Boris to prop them up.

The French wouldn’t put up with this."

if the french fight harder theres deffo something wrong

over a year ago

Not yet… I actually chose to go pre payment as in the past I really didn’t like dd.. they will go up I think as off oct 1! … also find out which company you are with and how they are going to get you out the 400 pounds.. I know some are sending out cheques where as others are sending text codes that can be used for prepaid in shops "

We already know we will be sent a voucher each month for £66 I think as our energy provider has sent us a letter.

By *heGigglersCouple
over a year ago

Stourbridge

"Also be aware of the tactics energy companies are using to get you into a fixed tariff.

If you are coming to the end of a tariff the energy company will try and convince you to fix for another 2 years. However their fixed offering is way way above the current variable rate. Your variable rate will be more than it was last year but will still be cheaper than the fixed tariff being offered and will allow you to benefit when prices to start to go down."

Hi lovely

Great advice VG!

The forecasted increases are going to take up such a large % of peoples wages that something will have to be done about it to eventually bring the prices back down.

If they don't the amount of vulnerable people who will suffer, and potentially die due to fuel poverty is absolutely terrifying!

K x

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Not yet… I actually chose to go pre payment as in the past I really didn’t like dd.. they will go up I think as off oct 1! … also find out which company you are with and how they are going to get you out the 400 pounds.. I know some are sending out cheques where as others are sending text codes that can be used for prepaid in shops "

I am pretty sure you don't have to have a dd ir prepayment meter. I pay mine with dd but I know people that they just pay their bill as and when they get it. I believe you lose the small discount you get when you pay by dd but not everyone wants one and some elderly people particularly prefer it this way

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

Not just the BBC - sky is just as bad with their headlines. So are the newspapers actually.

Sometimes I think the narrative emboldens companies to enact above inflationary price rises. Particularly re fuel but also food. Lots of 20–30% roses going on in the shops right now, despite the headline inflation figures being at 10%. "

It's been a good year for the Rose's

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Sometimes I think the narrative emboldens companies to enact above inflationary price rises. Particularly re fuel but also food. Lots of 20–30% roses going on in the shops right now, despite the headline inflation figures being at 10%.

It's been a good year for the Rose's "

I hope lillys and orchids have been kept at or below inflation increases or I will protest vehemently

over a year ago

"Also be aware of the tactics energy companies are using to get you into a fixed tariff.

If you are coming to the end of a tariff the energy company will try and convince you to fix for another 2 years. However their fixed offering is way way above the current variable rate. Your variable rate will be more than it was last year but will still be cheaper than the fixed tariff being offered and will allow you to benefit when prices to start to go down.

Hi lovely

Great advice VG!

The forecasted increases are going to take up such a large % of peoples wages that something will have to be done about it to eventually bring the prices back down.

If they don't the amount of vulnerable people who will suffer, and potentially die due to fuel poverty is absolutely terrifying!

K x"

Hey gorgeous!

As I mentioned on the other thread the Energy Saving Trust is a good source of info on how to save money on bills.

Act on Energy is a Midlands based charity that can advise on what grants/help is available.

NEA.org offers advice and can also signpost where to get support with bills & grant funding.

over a year ago

Not yet… I actually chose to go pre payment as in the past I really didn’t like dd.. they will go up I think as off oct 1! … also find out which company you are with and how they are going to get you out the 400 pounds.. I know some are sending out cheques where as others are sending text codes that can be used for prepaid in shops

I am pretty sure you don't have to have a dd ir prepayment meter. I pay mine with dd but I know people that they just pay their bill as and when they get it. I believe you lose the small discount you get when you pay by dd but not everyone wants one and some elderly people particularly prefer it this way"

I don't have a DD nor have I been offered a discount if I pay that way. I'm with Octopus. Works fine for me.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It's been a good year for the Rose's "

It’s an interesting point though.. if everyone’s energy costs are going up.. and that includes businesses as well as domestic, do we think businesses aren’t going to pass this on? How many are going to be able to swallow the increases?

By *onLicksMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Ah the joy of 2030 and the green lobby. Whilst protesting on the street to get rid of oil and gas they probably haven't thought through the implications - particularly for elderly and fixed income or those on meters.

Small businesses aren't capped so how many are about to be destroyed leaving just the big conglomerates? How handy for them!

Worse still this will include pubs and breweries!!!!

We saved granny only to snuff her out when she got a shock opening the utilities bill.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think a lot of gas bills will be going un-paid, and I don’t mean as a protest!"

I haven’t paid on two properties since June 2021 and recently found out about this no pay movement so joined locally. I will pay but am holding out and will pay around 25% as full and final settlement. Direct action always works , worked with poll tax in the 80’s. It’s pointless just moaning then paying. Find out your rights, understand the process of court orders, use it to your advantage to negotiate a settlement.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I keep a weekly spreadsheet of the gas/electric usage together with a calculation of cost. It helps to see where it's going and what the likely bill will be. Don't forget the vat.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I am pretty sure you don't have to have a dd ir prepayment meter. I pay mine with dd but I know people that they just pay their bill as and when they get it. I believe you lose the small discount you get when you pay by dd but not everyone wants one and some elderly people particularly prefer it this way

I don't have a DD nor have I been offered a discount if I pay that way. I'm with Octopus. Works fine for me. "

not to mention the lovely tentacles

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

How long before our esteemed MP’s vote themselves an rise to cover increased energy while working at home- which they’ll obviously claim is in the property with the highest bills and submit the cost for 100% use

over a year ago

Sack offgem off

Obviously in power companies pockets

Sack all profiteering MP

Basically dissolve parliament

over a year ago

I think a lot of gas bills will be going un-paid, and I don’t mean as a protest!

I haven’t paid on two properties since June 2021 and recently found out about this no pay movement so joined locally. I will pay but am holding out and will pay around 25% as full and final settlement. Direct action always works , worked with poll tax in the 80’s. It’s pointless just moaning then paying. Find out your rights, understand the process of court orders, use it to your advantage to negotiate a settlement. "

You haven't paid for gas for over a year? How can you justify not paying it from before the cap rose?

over a year ago

"How long before our esteemed MP’s vote themselves an rise to cover increased energy while working at home- which they’ll obviously claim is in the property with the highest bills and submit the cost for 100% use "

MP's don't vote on their salary it is an independent body.

By *oeofsussexMan
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Reckon you’ll make a right killing!

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I haven’t paid on two properties since June 2021 and recently found out about this no pay movement so joined locally. I will pay but am holding out and will pay around 25% as full and final settlement. Direct action always works , worked with poll tax in the 80’s. It’s pointless just moaning then paying. Find out your rights, understand the process of court orders, use it to your advantage to negotiate a settlement. "

Would that be a final settlement, as in end of contract?

Post new Message to Thread