Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Life skills

Jump to newest

By *valanche1001 OP   Man
over a year ago

Leeds

T’other day I was asked by a fellow motorist for duct tape (not sure if I look like the sort who carries this in my boot!) He was using a pump to inflate an obviously burst trye and thought that this would fix the issue until he could get to a garage!

I asked him if he had a spare, he did but confessed he had no idea how to change a tyre - he was 54!! 10 min later I had him back on the road.

What life skills do you know you should have by now or have imparted to others in the past?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not to judge what people can or can't do

over a year ago

"Not to judge what people can or can't do "

^ well, what he said, obviously. That goes without saying.

But people that can’t change a plug. What are they like?!

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"But people that can’t change a plug. What are they like?! "

I can change butt plugs. Does that count?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"But people that can’t change a plug. What are they like?!

I can change butt plugs. Does that count? "

No, it doesn't

over a year ago

Leeds

"Not to judge what people can or can't do "

Hardly being judgemental, I helped the guy after all. More a surprising observation but thanks for the input

over a year ago

Leeds

Yes, just don’t wire them in to the mains

By *ig_eric_tionMan
over a year ago

IPSWICH

"Not to judge what people can or can't do

But people that can’t change a plug. What are they like?! "

Shocking.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Things like sewing a button on, shortening trousers, repairing holes in pockets. I think they're useful skills to possess but lots of people don't have

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

General DIY.

I hung wallpaper almost 2 years ago (fuck, that's flown) for the first time and it gives me palpations thinking about doing it again even though I didn't do a terrible job.

I want to build things, make things, but honestly wouldn’t know where to begin.

over a year ago

I can turn my hand to most things, only usually being defeated where user diy has been engineered out by the designer/manufacturer. My millennial kids are pretty handy too. My daughter can turn her hand to most things, although my son only does when he has to. I was often surprised at work when colleagues weren’t able to do things that I consider simple everyday tasks.

over a year ago

Leeds

"Things like sewing a button on, shortening trousers, repairing holes in pockets. I think they're useful skills to possess but lots of people don't have"

A skill I’m lacking, I’m also lacking a sewing kit tbf, why don’t they give those away in hotel rooms anymore?

over a year ago

Bake a loaf of bread? My son made one from scratch yesterday. Have to say I was impressed.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Things like sewing a button on, shortening trousers, repairing holes in pockets. I think they're useful skills to possess but lots of people don't have

A skill I’m lacking, I’m also lacking a sewing kit tbf, why don’t they give those away in hotel rooms anymore? "

Because nobody knows how to use them .

To me those skills are so basic that I can't remember a time when I couldn't do them but although I know the theory of changing a tyre I think in practice it would defeat me

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Things like sewing a button on, shortening trousers, repairing holes in pockets. I think they're useful skills to possess but lots of people don't have

A skill I’m lacking, I’m also lacking a sewing kit tbf, why don’t they give those away in hotel rooms anymore?

Because nobody knows how to use them .

To me those skills are so basic that I can't remember a time when I couldn't do them but although I know the theory of changing a tyre I think in practice it would defeat me "

Ps what do you do when you lose a button?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

skillz

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

Most cables are moulded into the plugs now.... EU rules innit!!!

over a year ago

Hardly being judgemental, I helped the guy after all. More a surprising observation but thanks for the input "

Thought of another - being able to spot a joke

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

It's very informative to see how someone reacts to the idea of adults who can't drive.

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

When I was younger and had brought my first house I tried most things apart from electrics because I couldn’t afford to pay a tradesman to do the job.

Now I’m older with more disposable income I pay someone to do the jobs because (a) I’m lazy and (b) they’re better at it than I am.

I’m pretty handy in the kitchen though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's very informative to see how someone reacts to the idea of adults who can't drive. "

It is and someone who drives but drives an automatic.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve got friends who couldn’t change a light bulb.

My mum and dad were divorced. I was decorating our house at 15.

over a year ago

But people that can’t change a plug. What are they like?!

Most cables are moulded into the plugs now.... EU rules innit!!! "

ssshhhhh xx

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I think you will find there are lots of people who would call the RAC to change a flat tyre.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think you obtain the life skills that your circumstances dictate or your hobbies requirem

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"It's very informative to see how someone reacts to the idea of adults who can't drive. "

You could always tell the "rich kids" growing up, coz they'd get lessons for their 17th birthday.

I can't drive and never will.

Started out for medical reasons. I could go on medication and then learnt but it's so fucking expensive I'd need a lottery win to afford it along with running costs.

By *ornym66Man
over a year ago

Col /ips

That's life that's wot makes the world go round if every one did ghe same thing or could do everything life would be boring some can do this some can do that lol

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

"I think you obtain the life skills that your circumstances dictate or your hobbies requirem "

That’s very true. Some skills that I once had have diminished because I don’t use them anymore; wiring plugs and mental arithmetic are good examples.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think you obtain the life skills that your circumstances dictate or your hobbies requirem

That’s very true. Some skills that I once had have diminished because I don’t use them anymore; wiring plugs and mental arithmetic are good examples."

Very true although I'm better at mental arithmetic now than I used to be.

I used to have lovely hand writing people would compliment me on it. I've lost that through lack of practice

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Can do most things plugs decorating change inertubes on my bycicle! But I tend not to as one of my sons does these things so much easier so let him do them x

over a year ago

Leeds

I tend to consult YouTube if there’s a task I want to attempt but don’t know where to start. I always appreciate that someone’s taken the time to put that knowledge out there.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Making toast

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Here's me hoping that's not an essential life skill by the time I'm 54.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Cutting the lawn, as it's not just straight forward as people think theirs a method

over a year ago

Leeds

"Cutting the lawn, as it's not just straight forward as people think theirs a method "

Failing to get even stripes used to drive me nuts, so much so I gave up and bought a flymo

over a year ago

A fantastic knowledge of Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones and World War 1 & 2........Getting me very far in life

over a year ago

"I think you will find there are lots of people who would call the RAC to change a flat tyre. "

I have never changed a tyre. Always call the AA.

over a year ago

I should probably learn how to iron.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think you will find there are lots of people who would call the RAC to change a flat tyre.

I have never changed a tyre. Always call the AA. "

No point keeping a dog and barking yourself

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I think you will find there are lots of people who would call the RAC to change a flat tyre.

No point keeping a dog and barking yourself"

Not forgetting that many new cars no longer have a spare tyre

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Cutting the lawn, as it's not just straight forward as people think theirs a method

Failing to get even stripes used to drive me nuts, so much so I gave up and bought a flymo "

I've tried that, and learnt via tips, over seeding cutting height lawnmowers are the business for root growth

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Not forgetting that many new cars no longer have a spare tyre "

It's always handy to have a canister of foam for puncture repair and obviously a foot pump it does the job and leaves you plenty of time to get it fixed and safely where you need to be rather than being stuck

over a year ago

Can do most things I turn my hand to plumbing and wallpaper only shit at

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

"Things like sewing a button on, shortening trousers, repairing holes in pockets. I think they're useful skills to possess but lots of people don't have"

Must be a generational thing ! My granny can do all of the above lol.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Constantly learning new skills, every year. Skills literally pay the bills in this house, whether that’s cooking everything from scratch, picking up a chainsaw for £20 on gumtree from someone who doesn’t know how to make it start and then logging all my winter fuel, changing plugs on cheap imported lamps and re-selling them on Facebook , selling my photography, fixing my own shower and toilet …. If I worked it out financially over the decades , skills have probably added much more than my career/qualifications. I just need to weld better, looks like bird droppings

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

Personally I do so much but in all honesty would rather pay for someone to do a job even more so if it’s something I don’t enjoy.

over a year ago

I've shown my kids how to do all the things I know how to do...some more helpful than others

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

Since the advent of the EU law that said all electrical appliances had to have a plus fitted … you’d be amazed by how many people do not know how to wire a plug!

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"T’other day I was asked by a fellow motorist for duct tape (not sure if I look like the sort who carries this in my boot!) He was using a pump to inflate an obviously burst trye and thought that this would fix the issue until he could get to a garage!

I asked him if he had a spare, he did but confessed he had no idea how to change a tyre - he was 54!! 10 min later I had him back on the road.

What life skills do you know you should have by now or have imparted to others in the past?

"

It really should be part of the driving test , how to change a wheel , how to check and top up oil and water

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

"T’other day I was asked by a fellow motorist for duct tape (not sure if I look like the sort who carries this in my boot!) He was using a pump to inflate an obviously burst trye and thought that this would fix the issue until he could get to a garage!

It really should be part of the driving test , how to change a wheel , how to check and top up oil and water "

Disagree a driving test is to show you can drive a vehicle. As for other mechanical issues that’s where breakdown cover comes in. Filling up water and checking oil is just plain obvious !

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Must be a generational thing ! My granny can do all of the above lol. "

I bet she can. There must be people under 40 who can see a button on though

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

It really should be part of the driving test , how to change a wheel , how to check and top up oil and water

Disagree a driving test is to show you can drive a vehicle. As for other mechanical issues that’s where breakdown cover comes in. Filling up water and checking oil is just plain obvious ! "

When you come across someone trying to top up their oil through the dipstick hole its not that obvious to some

By *estLondonDeepMan
over a year ago

London

It's ok not being able to do something, if you have the contacts of people or the means to get the job done by someone else. The person the OP describes had neither; duct tape to repair a blown tyre

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

I bet she can. There must be people under 40 who can see a button on though"

Yet to meet one!

over a year ago

"General DIY.

I hung wallpaper almost 2 years ago (fuck, that's flown) for the first time and it gives me palpations thinking about doing it again even though I didn't do a terrible job.

I want to build things, make things, but honestly wouldn’t know where to begin."

Youtube?

over a year ago

Yeah I’m rubbish at DIY, I also can’t drive yet. I guess if you’ve not been taught something then you’re not going to know. I’m so glad YouTube exists with a lot of teach yourself videos. Obviously can’t be used for driving. Not sure that’s an essential life skill but a skill all the same. We live in a day and age when we can pay others to do it for us so certain skills we might never learn.

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

Disagree a driving test is to show you can drive a vehicle. As for other mechanical issues that’s where breakdown cover comes in. Filling up water and checking oil is just plain obvious !

When you come across someone trying to top up their oil through the dipstick hole its not that obvious to some "

No way ! I’ve heard it all now. I’m no expert by any means. I don’t recall anyone ever showing me when I passed my test. I just figured that one out.

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

Hardly being judgemental, I helped the guy after all. More a surprising observation but thanks for the input "

Judgemental...FAB forums, never...

It's bursting at the seams with kind, level headed, sexually liberated and of the non drama queen variety folks, who can't wait to meet up with similar in a happy, friendly, non judgemental swingers event.

Even one of those face to face types of get together where they can slag off other FAB members to their faces and not hide behind a keyboard.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yet to meet one! "

What do they all do when a button falls off?

over a year ago

Leeds

When you come across someone trying to top up their oil through the dipstick hole its not that obvious to some "

An ex of mine topped her antifreeze via the washer fluid, ruined the paintwork

over a year ago

We used to have home economics in school and it wasn’t just cooking skills, we learned how to sew things too. But I’m very rusty now and completely forgotten how to use a sewing machine. I can just about hand sew items. Not sure if they even teach that in schools anymore?

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

Yet to meet one!

What do they all do when a button falls off?"

Take it to their mother or buy new a new outfit I suppose.

By *iberatedduoCouple
over a year ago

Ashbourne

Yet to meet one!

Take it to their mother or buy new a new outfit I suppose. "

I appreciate there are folk who are used to make do and mend and those who are used to a disposable society. There isn’t a right or wrong either way.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yet to meet one!

Take it to their mother or buy new a new outfit I suppose.

I appreciate there are folk who are used to make do and mend and those who are used to a disposable society. There isn’t a right or wrong either way. "

Nor am I but seriously...a button!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

^^ that doesn't make sense. I don't think there's a right or wrong way either

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Not forgetting that many new cars no longer have a spare tyre "

Really? Never knew that! Never brought a new new car. My Leon I brought newish. It had a spare but it was one of those, can only drive so far on it tyers. When I scraped it last year as they said on paper work must have 4 tyers I actually kept It. Glad I did now.

By *entlemanFoxMan
over a year ago

North East / London

There is also a difference between knowledge and skill.

For instance 'plastering' is a skill. I have the knowledge to do it, but I have tried and I don't have the skill or practice to get a good finish.

So in that case is is more efficient to get a skilled tradesman to do it.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I can make a brick wall, and archway..my dad was a bricklayer and he wrote at lot of the courses. When he used to teach weekends and evenings he tool me with him sometimes. I would have my own area set out like the other guys, bricks, tools, board, everything for the muck. There was a time I built a "house ", ok more a very small chimney type thing, but forget the doorway and more importantly forgot to build with me outside of it and not around me lmao. But I remember the evenings where he taught how to do the archways. As more technical my slot was moved to the back and dad said don't worry build me a nice wall and workman's block for us for tea break, which I was ok with. Got borde, so I just thought, 2 guys all but given up and one guys arch just keeps collapsing. After tea break he looks over everyone's progress, some good, some bad, some collapsed on the floor, then he asks, who's is this one, it's not bad, few bricks wrong way round and should be taller but, then he walked under it, the sign of an ok job, the guys where all laughing as they told him it was mine haha ill never forget the look on his face...then not long after health and safety came along amd I couldn't go anymore...

Health and safety ruined my childhood!

over a year ago

"There is also a difference between knowledge and skill.

For instance 'plastering' is a skill. I have the knowledge to do it, but I have tried and I don't have the skill or practice to get a good finish.

So in that case is is more efficient to get a skilled tradesman to do it. "

I once patched up a 1m square bit of wall where the plaster fell off. I used polyfilla round the edges and just kept working inwards till it was all filled.

over a year ago

It's always handy to have a canister of foam for puncture repair and obviously a foot pump it does the job and leaves you plenty of time to get it fixed and safely where you need to be rather than being stuck "

I don't have a spare tyre in this car. I wouldn't risk the foam.

By *onLicksMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Last week I changed taps in the bathroom and an electric shower. Was a ball ache but once I had the right tools a lot easier. Trying to improve my practical skills because they will be a lot more useful than coding in the near future I suspect....

By *ny1localMan
over a year ago

READING

I've always said 'Necessity might be the mother of invention, but, poverty is the father of skill '

By *heDeliveryManMan
over a year ago

Leicester

I managed to fix the gas in my old house. The neighbours were that impressed they were blown away!

over a year ago

All sorts, plumbing, but not the gas side, use to be an electrician, self taught carpentry and basic car mechanics. DIY like painting, tiling and papering. Not only do I really enjoy learning new skills, when I put them into practice, it makes me feel really good about myself, so it's winning all round.

over a year ago

Leeds

"I managed to fix the gas in my old house. The neighbours were that impressed they were blown away! "

over a year ago

Leeds

It's always handy to have a canister of foam for puncture repair and obviously a foot pump it does the job and leaves you plenty of time to get it fixed and safely where you need to be rather than being stuck

I don't have a spare tyre in this car. I wouldn't risk the foam. "

Once you’ve used the foam I’ve heard the tyre is useless as it can’t be balanced, so what might have been a cheap repair is no longer possible. I wouldn’t buy a car without at least a temporary spare.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

The majority of new cars now come with just a tyre puncture repair kit and no spare tyre

Post new Message to Thread