Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you

Jump to newest

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

complain about bad service at a restaurant, cafe, hotel, a purchase you made etc? I find the service you get these days can often be diabolical. Sometimes I tackle it and other times I think 'what's the point'. Especially when the initial response is often defensive rather than apologetic and keen to address the issue. What's your experience and your way of dealing with instances of appallingly bad service?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

I vote with my feet.

If I complain, what am I hoping for? Money off, an apology, a discount, just to vent?

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

I ordered underwear once and one set came without the thong. Sent the company an email and the reply I got told me they weigh everything and the parcel weight was correct for what I ordered, and showed me a time stamp of when it was packed.

I thought Christ I’m not that hard up I’m trying to wrangle a free thong!

Asked me send pics of what I’d received and said that if I’m falsely claiming I’d not received goods I could face prosecution!

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I ordered underwear once and one set came without the thong. Sent the company an email and the reply I got told me they weigh everything and the parcel weight was correct for what I ordered, and showed me a time stamp of when it was packed.

Asked me send pics of what I’d received and said that if I’m falsely claiming I’d not received goods I could face prosecution!"

It's so annoying when they try to shut your complain down in such appaling way.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If I make a joke about Karens will all the people in the forums get offended?

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I vote with my feet.

If I complain, what am I hoping for? Money off, an apology, a discount, just to vent?

"

To be honest, my first and foremost expectation always is acknowledgement of the issue and the impact it can sometimes have.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Sometimes.

We booked a very expensive (for us) holiday last October to the sister hotel of one we'd stayed at before and had one of the best holidays ever. The service was *awful*, the waiter forgot us at breakfast, we were served cold food, housekeeping weren't doing their job properly, none of it was the five star service they claimed.

I asked to speak to someone discreetly who acknowledged my concerns and told me they would see things changed. I could tell from the way she spoke that she knew things weren't right. When we returned to our room that evening a letter of apology was on a table paid with fruit, pastries, soft drinks and a bottle of wine. The following morning we heard a couple say to the waiter

"Please don't forget us again this morning"

So it looks like we weren't the only ones.

We made allowances for a lot of things, it was lost covid, some restrictions were still in place etc but there's a limit to what we'll tolerate

over a year ago

Nah, I can’t be arsed.

I’ll just not return there.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

It depends what I'm complaining about. If it's something minor I'll generally let it slide and just never return to that establishment. If it's something more irksome I'll calmly and politely explain the issue and ask them to resolve it...I never shout, that doesn't solve anything, just makes people upset. And I never look for compensation or freebies, I just want whatever I've ordered/booked to be what I've actually requested.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I vote with my feet.

To be honest, my first and foremost expectation always is acknowledgement of the issue and the impact it can sometimes have."

Also it gives them an opportunity to put something right

over a year ago

I often don’t complain because I feel bad for people.

I’ve been served alcohol when I didn’t drink. Pork sausages even though I’m vegetarian. They apologise. Complaining isn’t going to change my experience. And I really don’t see the point in ruining someone’s day. I’ve been the person that’s having a tough day, made a mistake and had to deal with a horrible mannered customer. I’m not gonna do that to someone.

over a year ago

Moreso now that I ever did when I was younger, the older I get the less fucks I give.

BUT! Maybe “complain” is the wrong word. I am always courteous to the person who I raise any issues with, invariable the person you speak to is not the person responsible and 99 times out of 100 if you’re courteous and polite your issue is resolved satisfactorily and without incident. Most companies DO have decent customer service I find.

On that odd occasion you get an awkward response and they do all they can to frustrate you an fob you off, then I can be like a dog with a bone. I have one ongoing as we speak, and one thing is certain I will absolutely be getting my money back on that very shortly

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I often don’t complain because I feel bad for people.

I’ve been served alcohol when I didn’t drink. Pork sausages even though I’m vegetarian. They apologise. Complaining isn’t going to change my experience. And I really don’t see the point in ruining someone’s day. I’ve been the person that’s having a tough day, made a mistake and had to deal with a horrible mannered customer. I’m not gonna do that to someone. "

I'm never horrible mannered when I complain and I'm not called Karen

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

No never find it embarrassing! When I'm out with others that complain I want the floor to open up and swallow me x

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Sometimes.

We booked a very expensive (for us) holiday last October to the sister hotel of one we'd stayed at before and had one of the best holidays ever. The service was *awful*, the waiter forgot us at breakfast, we were served cold food, housekeeping weren't doing their job properly, none of it was the five star service they claimed.

I asked to speak to someone discreetly who acknowledged my concerns and told me they would see things changed. I could tell from the way she spoke that she knew things weren't right. When we returned to our room that evening a letter of apology was on a table paid with fruit, pastries, soft drinks and a bottle of wine. The following morning we heard a couple say to the waiter

"Please don't forget us again this morning"

So it looks like we weren't the only ones.

We made allowances for a lot of things, it was lost covid, some restrictions were still in place etc but there's a limit to what we'll tolerate"

I had a very similar hotel experience. Ocassionally you get someone happy to acknowledge there are issues. The problem is that if you don't mention anything, nothing will probably be done or change for you or anyone else. I always try to express any complaint in a calm and polite manner otherwise they would turn it against you.

By *hristopherd999Man
over a year ago

Brentwood

Never send food back in a restaurant

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My dad was given the incorrect medication by a pharmacist. He took it for two weeks, he's partially sighted and couldn't tell the difference. It could have killed him. Obviously we got the situation resolved and very quickly. The pharmacist concerned told my dad that there was no need to mention it to the doctor or tell anybody else. I wanted to because you know, life or death situation but my dad wouldn't.

By *aximus74Woman
over a year ago

Manchester

I've been on both sides of this...as a caterer and landlady.. I've had complaints(not too many) beer not tasting right (I took the beer and replaced it and asked if that was OK before leaving them)

But I would always say to make the establishment aware if something is not right,because they may not know about it so wouldn't be able to fix for the next person.

I will complain if something isn't right.

Hosting is about hospitality and if there isn't any and feel you can't go and express your concerns then it's a waste of time trying to be a host!! I would go out my way if somebody complained to me about something..

over a year ago

I complain all the time when i dont get what i pay for simply cos im a tight cunt

over a year ago

"I ordered underwear once and one set came without the thong. Sent the company an email and the reply I got told me they weigh everything and the parcel weight was correct for what I ordered, and showed me a time stamp of when it was packed.

Asked me send pics of what I’d received and said that if I’m falsely claiming I’d not received goods I could face prosecution!"

Omg what idiots

Come on are you really that hard up?

That prosecution thing is just a scare tactic, bet they've had a lot of people do it.

Hope you got the thong lol

Miss S x

over a year ago

It would have to be terrible for me to compliant. If it’s just generaly bad, I would just not go back and leave it at that.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think people associate the word complain with the social media videos of horrible people making 16 year old fast food workers cry. It's possible to make people aware that something's not right in a polite, pleasant and discreet way. You catch way more flies with honey than vinegar

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I've been on both sides of this...as a caterer and landlady.. I've had complaints(not too many) beer not tasting right (I took the beer and replaced it and asked if that was OK before leaving them)

But I would always say to make the establishment aware if something is not right,because they may not know about it so wouldn't be able to fix for the next person.

I will complain if something isn't right.

Hosting is about hospitality and if there isn't any and feel you can't go and express your concerns then it's a waste of time trying to be a host!! I would go out my way if somebody complained to me about something.. "

over a year ago

Generally yes, I do.

I won't go overboard though. No point getting personal waiter or waitress who probably gets all sort of grief and is on minimum wage.

I'll also make a point of highlighting good service. More people should do this and not always focus on the negative.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The word 'complain' gives false impressions I feel.

I give constructive feedback and never with a superior attitude. People are not my servants they are working for a living. I simply want what they offered and I agreed to pay for.

I mention where I feel I have not been delivered what we contracted together.

N.B. We enter into contracts to pay for what is advertised. If it falls short, I say so. I am never unreasonable. e.g. if I ordered a meal and part of it wasn't perfection , I wouldn't be saying a word.

You have to balance your feedback and the impact it would have on your whole experience. I've been overcharged slightly in the past and thought 'fuck it' I'm doing other stuff but i'd kill someone else for 5p if there was time and I thought they'd done it deliberately. It's principle.

I do it discreetly but do become firmer if they are defensive.

I whispered in a waiters ear a few months ago and he brought the restaurant manager and when she began to tell me about 'staff shortages' I felt a rise in my innards. That is for them to rectify, not for me to accept substandard food and service.

It really IS for owners and managers to train their staff in customer service. I feel for the staff at times.

I cannot STAND people on social media who think they can give lousy reviews and it makes them someone. Spineless.

over a year ago

Only time I've ever complained was with dfs, they left me and mini me with no sofa for over a week after failing to deliver 3 times! Obviously got rid of the old sofa the day before the delivery date they gave me and they didn't even call to say sorry we can't make that date...or the next date...or the next date!

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 23/08/22 09:55:33]

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"The word 'complain' gives false impressions I feel.

I give constructive feedback and never with a superior attitude. People are not my servants they are working for a living. I simply want what they offered and I agreed to pay for.

I mention where I feel I have not been delivered what we contracted together.

N.B. We enter into contracts to pay for what is advertised. If it falls short, I say so. I am never unreasonable. e.g. if I ordered a meal and part of it wasn't perfection , I wouldn't be saying a word.

You have to balance your feedback and the impact it would have on your whole experience. I've been overcharged slightly in the past and thought 'fuck it' I'm doing other stuff but i'd kill someone else for 5p if there was time and I thought they'd done it deliberately. It's principle.

I do it discreetly but do become firmer if they are defensive.

I whispered in a waiters ear a few months ago and he brought the restaurant manager and when she began to tell me about 'staff shortages' I felt a rise in my innards. That is for them to rectify, not for me to accept substandard food and service.

It really IS for owners and managers to train their staff in customer service. I feel for the staff at times.

I cannot STAND people on social media who think they can give lousy reviews and it makes them someone. Spineless. "

That's a great summary and totally agree about who has responsibility of bad service. It's often more to it than just the individual member of staff. Always raising an issue politely is the best approach. As I previously said, acknowledgement is really the most important thing as is the willingness to address it rather than be defensive. I also agree about reviews which are often one sided and will only pay attention to them if there are lots of people that mention the same thing. I will always talk to management rather than rush to leave a bad review

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yep every single time

How can the company rectify it if they don't know about it, if they refuse to rectify it then I wouldn't use them again.

Ive worked 20 odd years in retail and valued every complaint as that is what made us a reputable company, and no we didn't give away free stuff

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

[Removed by poster at 23/08/22 12:24:33]

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Rarely. Though one incident stands out, we went for breakfast a couple of months ago after parkrun, ordered and after 30 minutes hadn't even been served our drinks let alone food when tables around us had.

So we left, and told the staff not to be confrontational but purely so they didn't serve the food after we'd gone.

The manager followed us, apologised, explained what had happened (order had somehow failed on their system), made no excuses abd acknowledged we were unlikely to want to eat there that morning but offered us a voucher should we want to try in the future.

We've gone back there a few times since primarily because of how they handled it. I get that they were busy (the place is always full of runners on a Saturday morning) and mistakes happen

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Tbh from a view of the other side are overworked understaffed and stressed staff doing their best but frequently failing to live up to the expectations of inpatient customers not getting that retail/hospitality is currently mostly understaffed

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"If I make a joke about Karens will all the people in the forums get offended? "

Indubitably -especially those called Karen. But I'll laugh.

over a year ago

Not really, unless it is terrible. When it comes to things like hotels, food etc I'll let things slide because it's never really been that bad tbh.

I've complained a few times for more serious things. A doctor who told me to get over my depression and anxiety and ridiculed me. And another time when a woman accused me of shoplifting in front of loads of people, strange woman.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Rarely. Though one incident stands out, we went for breakfast a couple of months ago after parkrun, ordered and after 30 minutes hadn't even been served our drinks let alone food when tables around us had.

So we left, and told the staff not to be confrontational but purely so they didn't serve the food after we'd gone.

The manager followed us, apologised, explained what had happened (order had somehow failed on their system), made no excuses abd acknowledged we were unlikely to want to eat there that morning but offered us a voucher should we want to try in the future.

We've gone back there a few times since primarily because of how they handled it. I get that they were busy (the place is always full of runners on a Saturday morning) and mistakes happen"

Absolutely. Acknowledgement of the mistake is what most people would want. As you say, mistakes happen but you should be prepared to hold your hands up and recognise that.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Rarely. Though one incident stands out, we went for breakfast a couple of months ago after parkrun, ordered and after 30 minutes hadn't even been served our drinks let alone food when tables around us had.

We've gone back there a few times since primarily because of how they handled it. I get that they were busy (the place is always full of runners on a Saturday morning) and mistakes happen

Absolutely. Acknowledgement of the mistake is what most people would want. As you say, mistakes happen but you should be prepared to hold your hands up and recognise that. "

Exactly.

I've just remembered another one where part of a food order was missing from deliveroo and they sent us a ridiculous amount of freebies with the replacement.

You can't be pissed off in those scenarios can you?

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I will quietly speak to someone if something is not right. Mistakes happen and I like to give them an opportunity to fix whatever the problem is.

This is their time to shine. When businesses have done the decent thing and rectified the problem, I remain loyal to them and always remember how professional they were when things went wrong.

Anything else and they lose a customer for life. I can think of three big retailers / suppliers who’s goods or services I would not accept for free.

By *il sub princessWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

I'm a restaurant manager. Feedback is important, we want you to have good food & a good experience. I'll do my best to rectify & have you leave happy.

However,

If you talk to me like a dick I'll talk to you like one.

Guests still think 'The customer is always right' myth is true. You're not, fuck off

Have a good day

over a year ago

"I'm a restaurant manager. Feedback is important, we want you to have good food & a good experience. I'll do my best to rectify & have you leave happy.

However,

Guests still think 'The customer is always right' myth is true. You're not, fuck off

Have a good day "

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I don't really like to complain as it'll just take more time than it's worth. If I were to complain, I'd try my best to make sure both parties are happy and certainly wouldn't want to try and wrangle more than the actual issue is worth.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I'm a restaurant manager. Feedback is important, we want you to have good food & a good experience. I'll do my best to rectify & have you leave happy.

However,

Have a good day "

Nobody should speak inappropriately to anyone. Unfortunately people do and as you say it often has the opposite result. And you are right, that phrase should read 'the customer has a right to a good service' rather than 'is always right'.

By *eyeYCouple
over a year ago

Nr Leicester

Utterly complain if justified. Having my own business, would want to know to improve the service..

over a year ago

However,

Have a good day "

this! Too right!

Miss S x

Post new Message to Thread