Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should train drivers beable to strike?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

So, here we are again with another strike. I say that yes they should, but of course it is the commuters who will be affected the most.

Half of britain's lines will close on thursday and saturday as more than 45,000 rail workers walk out.

Some routes will have no services, and where they are operating, trains will only run between 07:30 and 18:30 bst on both strike days.

Passengers are being told only to travel by train if necessary.

What are the strikes about, is it about pay and what can be done to see less of the strikes they have?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Everyone should be entitled to strike.

And it's not just about pay, but also conditions.

Those that disagree with the right to strike should consider the circumstances of others as well as the impact the inconvenience of a strike has on them.

A

By *igtone2310Man
over a year ago

Beverley

Most people forget that the only reason our working conditions are as good as they are now is because our forefathers battled hard for years to get workers better pay and conditions, too many fat cats making massive salary everywhere

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I'm on London tonight, strike is going to complicate things significantly.

100% solidarity with the strikers and if I see a picket line I'll be thanking them and encouraging them fir taking in the government on all of our behalves

By *i-ManMan
over a year ago

Barton

Drivers aren’t on strike it’s signallers guards and network rail track workers

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

I get why they do, but it's a ball ache as I've just had to do a 2 hour journey to work that would normally take me 40 mins max as they've cut all services from my town today and I've had to get three buses to work

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Bring on the general strike 2022

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Bring on the general strike 2022"

It's coming, as is a very clear winter of discontent

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yup, they should.

I think people forget what happens when you strip away people's rights to protest.

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Newark on trent

The strikes don't have the effect that they used to have as everyone is so used to working at home these days. The people it really hurts are the people who can't work at home and probably won't get paid if they don't turn up today. Just what people need right now! Thank you rail workers !!

By *omblingFreeCouple
over a year ago

The Village, Wales

They are striking because they're are in the same boat as a great many of us - the economy is heading for recession and interest rates are rising which means wages are not worth the same as they were even 2 months ago. On top of this the cost of everything is soaring. The difference is rail workers are smart enough to have advocates, unlike Amazon workers. They send their paid representatives (paid for out of their wages), to negotiate with their bosses. However, the rail bosses - under orders from Grant Shapps, head of the Department for Transport - will not negotiate. The talks are just a sham to sell the public a story of greedy, ungrateful workers.

Rail bosses want to 'modernise'the service but I think most of us can guess what that means in practice. 'Modernisation' means cutting jobs (which would likely happen during the upcoming recession when families will be struggling the hardest), higher fare prices for everyone (thus keeping the services for the privileged few who can afford to use it and just one more way to keep 'the proles', i.e Johnny Council estate in his increasingly empoverished state-funded ghetto), cuts to services, cuts to maintenance (which impacts the safety of travellers) and diverting humongous stacks of cash to the richest few who need more money like I need a pirhana sharing my bath.

over a year ago

Simple answer yes it’s everyone right to strike or work to rule

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

"They are striking because they're are in the same boat as a great many of us - the economy is heading for recession and interest rates are rising which means wages are not worth the same as they were even 2 months ago. On top of this the cost of everything is soaring. The difference is rail workers are smart enough to have advocates, unlike Amazon workers. They send their paid representatives (paid for out of their wages), to negotiate with their bosses. However, the rail bosses - under orders from Grant Shapps, head of the Department for Transport - will not negotiate. The talks are just a sham to sell the public a story of greedy, ungrateful workers.

Rail bosses want to 'modernise'the service but I think most of us can guess what that means in practice. 'Modernisation' means cutting jobs (which would likely happen during the upcoming recession when families will be struggling the hardest), higher fare prices for everyone (thus keeping the services for the privileged few who can afford to use it and just one more way to keep 'the proles', i.e Johnny Council estate in his increasingly empoverished state-funded ghetto), cuts to services, cuts to maintenance (which impacts the safety of travellers) and diverting humongous stacks of cash to the richest few who need more money like I need a pirhana sharing my bath. "

Which of the rail companies is making humongous profits to be paid to these ‘richest few’ you mention?

By *omblingFreeCouple
over a year ago

The Village, Wales

"They are striking because they're are in the same boat as a great many of us - the economy is heading for recession and interest rates are rising which means wages are not worth the same as they were even 2 months ago. On top of this the cost of everything is soaring. The difference is rail workers are smart enough to have advocates, unlike Amazon workers. They send their paid representatives (paid for out of their wages), to negotiate with their bosses. However, the rail bosses - under orders from Grant Shapps, head of the Department for Transport - will not negotiate. The talks are just a sham to sell the public a story of greedy, ungrateful workers.

Rail bosses want to 'modernise'the service but I think most of us can guess what that means in practice. 'Modernisation' means cutting jobs (which would likely happen during the upcoming recession when families will be struggling the hardest), higher fare prices for everyone (thus keeping the services for the privileged few who can afford to use it and just one more way to keep 'the proles', i.e Johnny Council estate in his increasingly empoverished state-funded ghetto), cuts to services, cuts to maintenance (which impacts the safety of travellers) and diverting humongous stacks of cash to the richest few who need more money like I need a pirhana sharing my bath.

Which of the rail companies is making humongous profits to be paid to these ‘richest few’ you mention? "

Just taking Avanti (west coast operator) . Avanti are owned by First Group who posted a £36.2 million profit for 2021/22. Considering the effects of Covid restrictions, the economic climate etc. you might say that's not bad going all things considered.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Nobody should be allowed to strike, in fact bosses should be able to dictate your day completely. No more maternity leave, holidays, bank holiday, sick pay, health and safety regulations.

That bloody ECHR who needs human rights ? It’s stopping progress.

Schools and health care should be privatised, if you can’t afford either then workhouses and more graveyards should be created.

Raw sewage should be pumped into certain rivers and seas, however private beaches should be created where non of that will spoil the enjoyment of a privileged few, who can afford to holiday there. I suggest Cornwall, it’s quite beautiful and ruined by the riff raff that occasionally turn up.

Forget more Hospitals build more Prisons and then start chain gangs, there’s bound to be more crime if the above goes through, then cheap labour.

Police service should also be privatised, that’ll cut down on taxes. Let the working poor suffer increase crime rates, more gated communities less crime for the wealthy.

I actually think some of our Politicians would agree with my suggestions.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Yes they should, and they should strike as often as they need to until their requirements for working conditions and passenger safety are met.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Nobody should be allowed to strike, in fact bosses should be able to dictate your day completely. No more maternity leave, holidays, bank holiday, sick pay, health and safety regulations.

Schools and health care should be privatised, if you can’t afford either then workhouses and more graveyards should be created.

Raw sewage should be pumped into certain rivers and seas, however private beaches should be created where non of that will spoil the enjoyment of a privileged few, who can afford to holiday there. I suggest Cornwall, it’s quite beautiful and ruined by the riff raff that occasionally turn up.

Forget more Hospitals build more Prisons and then start chain gangs, there’s bound to be more crime if the above goes through, then cheap labour.

Police service should also be privatised, that’ll cut down on taxes. Let the working poor suffer increase crime rates, more gated communities less crime for the wealthy.

"

Fuck me. Thought I'd just seen JRM in a dress for a second there.....

A

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Nobody should be allowed to strike, in fact bosses should be able to dictate your day completely. No more maternity leave, holidays, bank holiday, sick pay, health and safety regulations.

"

I agree! The riff raff want far too much and should doff their caps more to their considerable betters!

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Which of the rail companies is making humongous profits to be paid to these ‘richest few’ you mention?

Just taking Avanti (west coast operator) . Avanti are owned by First Group who posted a £36.2 million profit for 2021/22. Considering the effects of Covid restrictions, the economic climate etc. you might say that's not bad going all things considered. "

They aren't alone, there are huge profits being recorded by companies receiving government funding who are refusing to psy their employees a fair wage.

That's not okay and I'm not sure why anyone thinks it is?

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

""

This

By *riel13Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Yes... Everyone should have the right to strike... Shame companies leave it until people have to, instead of just being decent human beings.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I get why they do, but it's a ball ache as I've just had to do a 2 hour journey to work that would normally take me 40 mins max as they've cut all services from my town today and I've had to get three buses to work "
Yes and not just that, also the extra cost and time one have to add to the journey as well, that is many buses you hd to take there, so that is 6 bus trips in total for the day to get home too?

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

If train drivers can’t strike, then why should anyone be able to strike?

What would you have instead? You MUST go to work, what ever the employer does or seeks to do to you? Or if you don’t you get sacked?

I worked in a profession that was prohibited from striking and a few times the official side cut back on our working conditions and benefits. They also reneged on previously agreed pay rises. I just had to suck it up. (Or leave. In fairness, I could have left).

What would happen if all the drivers just said “fuck it” and left? You’d still have a shitty commute then. (I appreciate that is unlikely to happen).

Gbat

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan
over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

It’s not the drivers and it’s not just RMT but also TSSA which is a rare event that they take action.

It now needs more member participation to get a strike ballot than at any time, strikers are giving up their pay.

The amount of staff voting to strike at the moment in various unions in almost as many people who voted in the general election and is likely to outstrip that number by the time the Health unions vote for strike action.

The right to withdraw labour has to be a basic right to all.

And now with the changes made to the law over strike ballots show how out of touch the management are with the workers.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I agree! The riff raff want far too much and should doff their caps more to their considerable betters!"

I mean our betters deserve their riches. Admittedly a lot inherited their wealth, or went to the right schools, made contacts whilst residing within those sacred walls, then went on to secure good jobs off those same contacts.

At no point did luck play a part, it all came down to being a ‘fag*’ to someone at Eaton.

*Fag denotes being a servant to an older pupil.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Should bosses be allowed to pay themselves millions whilst telling their staff they can't afford "cost of living" pay increases?

over a year ago

Workers must always be able to strike and I support them in exercising that right.

over a year ago

If anyone needs to strike for higher wages, it's the shop workers, and nurses, and carers for the stirling work they've done over the last 2 years

Fuck all the rail pricks and automate the rail network.

Then they'll see what living on fuck all is about.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

Yes they should be able to strike, but they also have to be realistic about what they want to achieve.

From what I can tell they want no redundancies a restructure, that is simply unrealistic.

We have redundancies in work as technology replaces people, the company loses business to competitors etc. It is simply part of employment these days.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"If anyone needs to strike for higher wages, it's the shop workers, and nurses, and carers for the stirling work they've done over the last 2 years

Then they'll see what living on fuck all is about."

Wow.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

"Should bosses be allowed to pay themselves millions whilst telling their staff they can't afford "cost of living" pay increases? "

Yes they should, although they don't actually pay themselves their salary is set by market rates and signed off by the company and shareholders same as everyone else

over a year ago

YES!

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"I get why they do, but it's a ball ache as I've just had to do a 2 hour journey to work that would normally take me 40 mins max as they've cut all services from my town today and I've had to get three buses to work Yes and not just that, also the extra cost and time one have to add to the journey as well, that is many buses you hd to take there, so that is 6 bus trips in total for the day to get home too?"

Luckily I've managed to get a lift home but yeah it would have been, and thankfully I wasn't opening up today or it would have cost me a fortune in a taxi to get here, as we're not the kind of business you can just rock up late and open when you want to or we'd have had some pretty miffed off patients

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

"If anyone needs to strike for higher wages, it's the shop workers, and nurses, and carers for the stirling work they've done over the last 2 years

Wow. "

Fair comment, we could automate the railways, bring down prices and benefit the general public.

Rail workers shouldn't be protected with a job for life in exactly the same way as everyone else

By *lym4realCouple
over a year ago

plymouth

100% agree with the strikes as someone has already mentioned we forget where our "Rights" come from and how and whom got them for us and it sure as hell wasn't the enlightened pit owners or factory etc etc etc owners as they opposed every single one of them with the help of a certain party ?? so seeing "Proud" so called working class people voting for them is both sickening and ironic as no doubt somewhere in their family history was someone who was beaten and jailed and starved so they could enjoy the rights they now have and seem more than happy to thrown in the dustbin of history

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Wow.

Fair comment, we could automate the railways, bring down prices and benefit the general public.

Rail workers shouldn't be protected with a job for life in exactly the same way as everyone else "

“Fuck all the rail pricks”. Fair comment? Ok.

over a year ago

Yes! I fully support the strike

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

Wow.

Rail workers shouldn't be protected with a job for life in exactly the same way as everyone else

“Fuck all the rail pricks”. Fair comment? Ok. "

As you can see my fair comment related to the automate the railway, so please don't take my comments out of context

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Wow.

As you can see my fair comment related to the automate the railway, so please don't take my comments out of context"

And my comment related to the disrespectful rude comment.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

"Yes! I fully support the strike"

So why are they striking?

I dont fully understand the reasons but protecting jobs that are now redundant is not a reason to strike, it is simply progress

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

Wow.

As you can see my fair comment related to the automate the railway, so please don't take my comments out of context

And my comment related to the disrespectful rude comment. "

But you had already commented on that, so why comment on mine which didn't reference that part of the post?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Wow.

But you had already commented on that, so why comment on mine which didn't reference that part of the post?"

you quoted my comment so I obviously assumed you were replying to me.

over a year ago

Wow.

As you can see my fair comment related to the automate the railway, so please don't take my comments out of context"

Not offended by opinions bud, everyone has them, not everyone will agree.

Just putting mine (rag) out there.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

Wow.

But you had already commented on that, so why comment on mine which didn't reference that part of the post?

you quoted my comment so I obviously assumed you were replying to me. "

No just continuing the thread

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

In time automation will come in. But it will still need cleaning and all the other jobs that come with the day to day running of the rail network needs doing. So a fair wage in line with the cost of living isn’t much to ask for all worked including the ones you mentioned.

over a year ago

Why does it need to be a competition?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Wow.

you quoted my comment so I obviously assumed you were replying to me.

No just continuing the thread"

Cool. That’s that sorted then

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"The strikes don't have the effect that they used to have as everyone is so used to working at home these days. The people it really hurts are the people who can't work at home and probably won't get paid if they don't turn up today. Just what people need right now! Thank you rail workers !! "

Very true

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Why does it need to be a competition? "

My thoughts exactly.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

In time automation will come in. But it will still need cleaning and all the other jobs that come with the day to day running of the rail network needs doing. So a fair wage in line with the cost of living isn’t much to ask for all worked including the ones you mentioned. "

Completely agree, although automation will lead to job cuts, it simply has to.

Interesting discussion about cost of living rises, are people seeing it as a one off opportunity to cash in on a 20 year inflation high I.e. get in now before it reduces in the future?

Personally I haven't had a pay rise recently and it won't be looked at until next year, so inflation could be lower by then or even higher ??

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

"The strikes don't have the effect that they used to have as everyone is so used to working at home these days. The people it really hurts are the people who can't work at home and probably won't get paid if they don't turn up today. Just what people need right now! Thank you rail workers !!

Very true "

Yeah it actually benefits me as I can work at home and save 30 quid on getting to work. So I don't really care personally, but wanted to understand their rational for striking.

Also as a train user, frankly the service is terrible and expensive, so I am against rewarding poor service by increasing fares every year

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

Try telling that to the cleaners on minimum wage....there is more to the railway industry under and overground than drivers...open your eyes!!!

It was the pricks as you delightfully call them that worked through the pandemic as normal !!

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

In time automation will come in. But it will still need cleaning and all the other jobs that come with the day to day running of the rail network needs doing. So a fair wage in line with the cost of living isn’t much to ask for all worked including the ones you mentioned.

Completely agree, although automation will lead to job cuts, it simply has to.

Interesting discussion about cost of living rises, are people seeing it as a one off opportunity to cash in on a 20 year inflation high I.e. get in now before it reduces in the future?

Personally I haven't had a pay rise recently and it won't be looked at until next year, so inflation could be lower by then or even higher ?? "

Automation typically leads to a similar (or greater) number of jobs in an industry over time but the types of jobs change dramatically. Different skills are usually needed and they are often higher skilled/better paid. The downside is that many of those who are replaced by “automation” do not have the skills for the new jobs. Society as a whole benefits but those replaced usually don’t.

By *uffolkcouple-bi onlyCouple
over a year ago

West Suffolk

Have the right, yes.

But what is a strike? People who have been doing a job for a while who now feel the terms of doing that job are unreasonable. The terms being pay and/or conditions

So, has the employer suddenly decided to change the conditions and make them “unreasonable”? And if so why?

Or if a strike is just over pay, is the rise they are demanding reasonable?

I think the rail companies have been forced to try and redistribute ticket office staff because they are costing money. Most tickets are bought online now which is what is pushing up the cost of ticket offices past the point of profitability. A dirty word I know for some people, and one can argue for and against rail privatisation/nationalisation but that point it currently moot.

Surely asking them to do other jobs is preferable to just sacking them all? And yes I know there’s other issues involved other than this, but I think this particular point is a no brainer

As for pay? From what I’ve read in the media, most rail staff are paid above and beyond minimum wage. I’m not saying that’s wrong, but there’s some very hard working people such as care home workers, working longer hours for less money.

They should count their blessings.

Maybe we should all just stop using the trains and they’ll all be out of a job? (Said tongue in cheek)

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Drivers don’t need to go on strike….

Why… because train companies underemploy them!

Even if drivers decide to just “work to rule” so work the hours they are contracted to…. There would roughly 15-20% less services then there currently is!

The railway companies rely on drivers doing shed loads of overtime to run their services

By *imbo59seMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

Interesting that just before the last RMT strike, or the one before, it was reported that both sets of negotiators had reached an agreement on a deal, but the RMT Executive blocked it, without it going to the members!

Mick Lynch, boss of the RMT, has stated that the RMT will continue strike action "until we reach a settlement"......is that one which satisfies the members, or just him?

I realise this thread is about the drivers btw.....just saying.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *idanMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

Supposing their requirements are unreasonable though? The pendulum can't be allowed to swing too far either way and I speak as someone who was in a union and took strike action twice.

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

Only the same as dock workers they’re on strike next week so no work for me and no pay

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Supposing their requirements are unreasonable though? The pendulum can't be allowed to swing too far either way and I speak as someone who was in a union and took strike action twice."

Is a payrise in line with inflation when an employer is making multi million pound profits really unreasonable though?

By *idanMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

I was making a general point about strike action not about this particular industrial action. I have a friend who drives on the Metropolitan who recently got a 5% payrise as the final part of a 3 year deal. He's not complaining and neither am I as it was fairly agreed upon and honoured.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I agree with rights to strike... AND the world economy is on its knees right now, so no, I think it's all pretty darn selfish at this point in time. Flipping heck! I run my own business; I've had no help through COVID, no grants, nothing. The staff I had to let go were willing to come back and work for free to keep my business going through the tough times (they know I'd see them right when things got on a better footing).

Yes, some industries have failed to invest properly for decades, while still handing out bonuses at the top.

Taking it out on the rest of us isn't going to change that!

C

over a year ago

West Suffolk

"Supposing their requirements are unreasonable though? The pendulum can't be allowed to swing too far either way and I speak as someone who was in a union and took strike action twice.

Is a payrise in line with inflation when an employer is making multi million pound profits really unreasonable though?"

Most train drivers are paid more than junior doctors.

And a pay rise in line with inflation just perpetuates inflation

And if inflation falls, which it will eventually, will they give the extra back?

over a year ago

West Suffolk

If they are not happy with their job they should quit and find a job they are happy with.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

They walk among us

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Yes they should to be fair we need more good strong trade union like the the railway lots of people have been worked excessively for very little return strong unions would fix this..

My top job for better pay are.

Carers

Nursery staff

Food production workers

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

In 2021 Network Rail CEO Andrew Haines took a huge £585,000 annual wage. Chief financial officer Jeremy Westlake grabbed £415,000. Route ­services managing director Susan Cooklin got at least £385,000.

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

Of course they should have the right to strike.

We got stuck in the chaos in London this evening. Managed to catch the last train. But well done to them for fighting for their rights and better conditions.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"In 2021 Network Rail CEO Andrew Haines took a huge £585,000 annual wage. Chief financial officer Jeremy Westlake grabbed £415,000. Route ­services managing director Susan Cooklin got at least £385,000.

"

Yes. I also remembered that too.

By *angerous123Man
over a year ago

Leeds

Absolute solidarity with the strikers

It's reassuring to see so much support for them in this thread

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Yes, of course. All employees need much greater employment rights and freedoms, including the right to strike.

over a year ago

They should strike in the same way the Japanese bus drivers did Still operate but don't take payment

over a year ago

Despite me not being able to attend the Manchester social due to the strikes, I still support their right to strike!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"They should strike in the same way the Japanese bus drivers did Still operate but don't take payment "

Oh, that’s an innovative way to do it. I like that idea!

over a year ago

"They should strike in the same way the Japanese bus drivers did Still operate but don't take payment

Oh, that’s an innovative way to do it. I like that idea! "

It hits the companies harder because they're still paying out but getting nothing in return

By *wingamajigsCouple
over a year ago

Folkestone

Treat workers fairly and there would be no reason to strike. But yes to your original question.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

My hat goes off more to the other train drivers who keep the trains going during the strikes. I wonder if there is friction between the drivers when some dont go along with the ones who are striking?

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"If they are not happy with their job they should quit and find a job they are happy with. "

They are not striking because they don't like their jobs. They are striking due to long running disputes over pay and working conditions. One of the biggest factors that rail staff are striking against is significant redundancies which they feel could make their jobs unsafe.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"My hat goes off more to the other train drivers who keep the trains going during the strikes. I wonder if there is friction between the drivers when some dont go along with the ones who are striking?"

I would expect that those who remain at work are not members of the striking unions.

Cal

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"My hat goes off more to the other train drivers who keep the trains going during the strikes. I wonder if there is friction between the drivers when some dont go along with the ones who are striking?

I would expect that those who remain at work are not members of the striking unions.

Cal"

Yes, that is a good point and I reckon it could be so too

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"They should strike in the same way the Japanese bus drivers did Still operate but don't take payment

Oh, that’s an innovative way to do it. I like that idea!

It hits the companies harder because they're still paying out but getting nothing in return "

Yes and I also like the sound of that idea too

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

It's important to remember that strikes are used as a last resort when many other measures have been exhausted. They're wholly preventable if a company/organisation isn't being a dickhead. From what I have heard though, the transport secretary is complicating matters and making negotiation more difficult in these current situations.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"My hat goes off more to the other train drivers who keep the trains going during the strikes. I wonder if there is friction between the drivers when some dont go along with the ones who are striking?

Cal"

One of the other unions are on work to rule I think.

Those that aren't in a union or worse are in a union and are ignoring the industrial action, let's not talk about my contempt for them...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Cal

Those that aren't in a union or worse are in a union and are ignoring the industrial action, let's not talk about my contempt for them..."

Why do you hold those people in contempt?

over a year ago

This may be over simplying the mood music...

But views on striking seem mixed

Yet the view on whether it's okay not to pay electricity suppliers tended to be more for "striking".

And similar to the suppliers, are the trains services themselves actually making bank?

From what I've read the companies are being put in the middle. Their funding was changed by the government during COVID, so they dont have the flexibility they did. Meaning to pay more they need the government to cough up more.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Cal

Those that aren't in a union or worse are in a union and are ignoring the industrial action, let's not talk about my contempt for them..."

I've heard staff working my local train service are all refusing overtime as an act of protest. So while they're not on strike, there's been cancelled services due to short staffing.

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

"If they are not happy with their job they should quit and find a job they are happy with.

They are not striking because they don't like their jobs. They are striking due to long running disputes over pay and working conditions. One of the biggest factors that rail staff are striking against is significant redundancies which they feel could make their jobs unsafe.

Cal"

Strikes damage the employer, otherwise there would be no point in striking. Rail strikes also damage the long term viability of the rail network as they drive passengers away.

If the network becomes less viable then the employers need less staff.

Can you explain why striking against redundancies is a positive move?

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Op...

I think it should've been can stickers be able to be struck...

Yes, for doddling.

I personally know someone who banked their overtime payments, 4 hours every day, using that savings for their mortgage, which took less than 3 years to save up.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"If they are not happy with their job they should quit and find a job they are happy with.

Cal

Strikes damage the employer, otherwise there would be no point in striking. Rail strikes also damage the long term viability of the rail network as they drive passengers away.

Can you explain why striking against redundancies is a positive move?"

From what I've seen, the redundancies they are looking to make will remove staff such as guards, leaving a train manned only by the lone driver and also reduce the number of Maintenance Engineers. Both of these things raise safety concerns.

The unions are claiming that they are happy enough with suggested pay awards but not the redundancies.

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Yes they should

I keep telling everyone this who works for anyone else,make sure you're in a union.

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

never take the right from women and men to strike,,

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

I think that today, will be the last day of strikes

over a year ago

"Drivers don’t need to go on strike….

Even if drivers decide to just “work to rule” so work the hours they are contracted to…. There would roughly 15-20% less services then there currently is!

The railway companies rely on drivers doing shed loads of overtime to run their services "

You forgot to mention that the average train driver earns more than the average nurse

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

Cal

Can you explain why striking against redundancies is a positive move?

From what I've seen, the redundancies they are looking to make will remove staff such as guards, leaving a train manned only by the lone driver and also reduce the number of Maintenance Engineers. Both of these things raise safety concerns.

The unions are claiming that they are happy enough with suggested pay awards but not the redundancies. "

Try to be consistent in your arguments. Earlier you said they were striking over pay and conditions. Now it’s the redundancies.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Drivers don’t need to go on strike….

The railway companies rely on drivers doing shed loads of overtime to run their services

You forgot to mention that the average train driver earns more than the average nurse"

The answer to that is to pay nurses more, not pit working people against each other. That only benefits bosses and shareholders.

By *ay2naughtyCouple
over a year ago

penrith

"Bring on the general strike 2022"

Agreed , bring the country to a standstill , government would have no choice but to sort out the profiteering fat cats who are holding us to ransom .

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
over a year ago

hexham

Crumbs!

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

"Bring on the general strike 2022

Agreed , bring the country to a standstill , government would have no choice but to sort out the profiteering fat cats who are holding us to ransom ."

Hell yes, let’s go back to the 70s and really run the country into the ground.

By *ay2naughtyCouple
over a year ago

penrith

"Bring on the general strike 2022

Agreed , bring the country to a standstill , government would have no choice but to sort out the profiteering fat cats who are holding us to ransom .

Hell yes, let’s go back to the 70s and really run the country into the ground.

"

Nothing else is working , the billionaires like sunak don't care

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

They have now had 3 strikes in 2 months. I wonder if they have gotten anything out from it?

Post new Message to Thread