Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Running is 90% mind 10% fitness

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Haven't really been running in years but today I went to the gym and was like 5 min run and I'm done.

I started of running and the speed I run at felt even faster than usual (harder) but it turned out to be my best run in probably like a year and a half as I end up running for longer than usual and wasn't even tired at the end

Humble brag I know

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Thought it was about rimming

My fitness has never limited my rimming ability so I agreed

Rimming is a state of mind

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

Pretty sure it's 90% fitness, 10% natural ability? Could be wrong though

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Running is 100% legs

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Running is often something that people give up on in terms of ‘100%’ capacity but I think that’s fair to say that about most exercise types.

Excuses that are rooted in laziness can be found anywhere though.

Mindset is arguably even higher than 90%.

over a year ago

Yet its 10000% boring

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Haven't really been running in years but today I went to the gym and was like 5 min run and I'm done.

I started of running and the speed I run at felt even faster than usual (harder) but it turned out to be my best run in probably like a year and a half as I end up running for longer than usual and wasn't even tired at the end

Humble brag I know "

I'm pretty sure a 5 minute run on the treadmill is definitely not a huge test of fitness or your logic.

There's a huge psychological element in any endurance sport but I don't agree with the context of your post

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I’ll just think about it then..

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Long distance running maybe, but since my health scare (heart issues) it’s 50% too hot 50% fear for me.

over a year ago

"Yet its 10000% boring "

That's why I used to run on a treadmill. You have to pay attention or you will fall on your face and I can mechanically push myself to places my lack of motivation will never take me!

Not been back since covid 1.0 though, cycling instead...

over a year ago

My mind always lets me down.

over a year ago

"My mind always lets me down. "

Too much mind...no mind..

over a year ago

I'm gonna disagree. There is definitely a mental aspect to it, but it's also a lot to do with technique, strength and cardio fitness.

over a year ago

"Yet its 10000% boring "

No way! The sheer pleasure of discovering new trails and the massive buzz of getting a PB will never get boring for me.

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

If it were 90% mind I'd be able to run for hours.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with fitness and not being broken more than it is positive thinking.

over a year ago

North West

"I'm gonna disagree. There is definitely a mental aspect to it, but it's also a lot to do with technique, strength and cardio fitness. "

And functional lower limbs

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Yer there's a lot to with this. Despite my frame I used to surprise a lot of people in my old job with my running times. I used to run a lot for my own enjoyment/mind space. I used to also complete in 10k Road races and cross country (great way to get out of work paid mid week). I was not built like most who do this and was no superstar. But my times where decent and not in keeping with a fatty. People who didn't know me always seemed surprised by my finish times. I would say a huge part of my performance was my mindset when running. Plus as I progress there was then a need and motivation to preform so to set a good example. Granted training had a element but everything I gained I probably offset with copious beers and kebabs most night of the week.

However you have to pay the piper in the end. There's always a trade off. For me good running times, 100s of miles and being 16 odd stone had a price. A price I now feel in my knees. Maybe if my head had held me back instead of saying just keep pushing I'd have better knees now. Or a healthy lifestyle would have probably worked too, but where's the fun in that?

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm gonna disagree. There is definitely a mental aspect to it, but it's also a lot to do with technique, strength and cardio fitness. "

I absolutely agree.

No matter how much will you have, that’s not going to make up for lack of cardiovascular ability, OP. Well done on the run though

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Definitely. That's why I have to cover the timer on the treadmill. That little fecker plays the best mind games.

over a year ago

You say that but I really haven't trained in years, unless miraculously my fitness level hasn't come down despite the lack of training

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Yet its 10000% boring "

He knows

over a year ago

"Yet its 10000% boring

He knows "

Or maybe he can't run very well

I'd say it's 50% diet, and a mix of the other 2 for the remaining half. I love it.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I'm gonna disagree. There is definitely a mental aspect to it, but it's also a lot to do with technique, strength and cardio fitness.

You say that but I really haven't trained in years, unless miraculously my fitness level hasn't come down despite the lack of training "

But you are young and fit and healthy and clearly train? Which makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure if you attempted a half marathon or marathon you'd probably realise that unlike a 5 minute treadmill run it's a lot about fitness as well as being psychological

over a year ago

It’s 100% not having a fucked knee for me at the moment ..

over a year ago

North West

"It’s 100% not having a fucked knee for me at the moment .. "

I have made the point that running is 100% legs, but no-one has bitten yet

over a year ago

Some people can just do stuff. I like to think I’m fit, I do triathlons, I’m in shape (not gym fit but v cardio fit), but I can’t run. I mean, obviously I can, but I have always and will always find it a struggle, and something to endure. Im not a runner. If I go 3 months without doing it, then I’m a heaving mess after 10 minutes when I try again for weeks. It’s just not for me or my body. But I can take a year off a bike and stick 100km on with hills any day. Just what my body gravitates to being half good at.

If you run, cycle, swim, lift, CrossFit, dance, yoga, or whatever, good for you. Find what your body is made for. Don’t worry if you can’t do the others

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Yet its 10000% boring

He knows

Or maybe he can't run very well

I'd say it's 50% diet, and a mix of the other 2 for the remaining half. I love it."

No, objectively speaking, running is boring as fuck

over a year ago

"It’s 100% not having a fucked knee for me at the moment ..

I have made the point that running is 100% legs, but no-one has bitten yet "

over a year ago

"I'm gonna disagree. There is definitely a mental aspect to it, but it's also a lot to do with technique, strength and cardio fitness.

You say that but I really haven't trained in years, unless miraculously my fitness level hasn't come down despite the lack of training

But you are young and fit and healthy and clearly train? Which makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure if you attempted a half marathon or marathon you'd probably realise that unlike a 5 minute treadmill run it's a lot about fitness as well as being psychological

"

You're really sticking to that 5 minute run aren't you?

You do realise 5 minute at high pace can be a lot harder than 10-15km at slower pace right?

My warm up usually involves 10min 1.5 mile run and then I do a full workout.

I've run 10km before and felt it easier than 1.5 mile but it was at a slower pace.

Fitness isn't defined by time or distance alone mate .

P.S. I do know my cardio level is very low compared to vast majority of runners, don't worry I'm aware

over a year ago

Yes, a five minute burst of speed can feel harder than running 10k. But, it's not harder on your body. Running 10k, even at a slow pace, is putting more stress on your body because there's a lot more time on your feet and a higher risk of repetition injuries.

I'm doing my very long runs at 5mph at the minute so the pace is very low but the level of stress on my body is very high.

Running long distances is 10% mind and the other 90% has got to be training and nutrition. Otherwise, you're rushing stress fractures, long term joint damage and even kidney injuries.

over a year ago

Ps, eat cheerios to improve your cardio fitness.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/08/22 22:58:26]

over a year ago

North West

"It’s 100% not having a fucked knee for me at the moment ..

I have made the point that running is 100% legs, but no-one has bitten yet

"

Still no one else accepts legs are pretty much a pre requisite for running

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

The further you run, the more it is in the mind.

Mr

By *uckyNineMan
over a year ago

prescot

Definitely a mental aspect, I get well bored much before my legs give up, I’m like I could carry on but I literally don’t want too.

If I can get my bad round that I’ll be sorted

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

Do you find running boring?

Do you want to increase your pace?

Why not solve both problems by climbing into the tiger enclosure at your nearest zoo or safari park.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

In my case running is 100% in my mind and zero % in my body

By *uckyNineMan
over a year ago

prescot

"Do you find running boring?

Do you want to increase your pace?

Why not solve both problems by climbing into the tiger enclosure at your nearest zoo or safari park."

Sounds like a viz top tip for runners

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I can't run any more and I rather miss it

over a year ago

Definitely. Ran an ultra marathon on 3weeks training

over a year ago

"The further you run, the more it is in the mind.

Mr"

Absolutely this! There’s always a mental aspect at shorter distances when pushing hard and racing, but now I’m up and above into ultras the mindset is most of the battle

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Running is 100% about someone else

By *hornleeMan
over a year ago

Stockton on Tees

I run 10ks before work at 03,20hrs 4 days a week 2 off to recover. But at that time in the morning it's mind over matter. I.e what the fuck are you doing at this time of the morning.

By *entative_CuckMan
over a year ago

Cirencester

Running on a treadmill is definitely a mental challenge. Running on trails really isn't...

By *ose and her beastCouple
over a year ago

Watford

"I’ll just think about it then.."
you win the thread

Post new Message to Thread