Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

BBC comments on england team

Jump to newest

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Im interested to get peoples thoughts on the bbc presenters comments last week regarding the women team being all white.

Is there a valid discussion here or is this just another example of bbc race baiting? Are there barriers to entry in football in england? There doesnt appear to be in the mens game - over 85% of england is white, circa 3% is black yet proportionately far more than than 3% black players at club and international level. If anything, circa 7% asian so you could perhaps ask why not more asian players.

The bbc arent asking that though are they.

As a point of note, they also dont appear to be querying why the GB athletics team at the worlds champs is so heavily weight with black athletes as opposed to other ethnicities. Is there a valid question to be asked there?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Does this mean the BBC will be deplatforming women's domestic football, and we can have it exposed commensurate to its level and popularity (non league and league 2 respectively)?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The England ladies squad is not 100% white. Nikita Parris (who came on as a sub against Spain) is not white. Jess Carter, Demi Stokes are also in the squad of 23 and are not white.

I don't know if there are particular barrier to non-white women taking up football nowadays, but I can certainly imagine girls from some Asian backgrounds not being encouraged to play and seeing as there are so few big pro teams in England, we probably have a dearth of high level academies and so cost, opportunity might be issues. We know that black British people are disproportionately represented in those below the poverty line.

Other women's teams do have a higher proportion of non white players, notably France and the Netherlands.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I only have a few games to go off but the team at the olympics years back i remember 2 of the best players were none white so not sure im personally gonna make mountains

over a year ago

North West

"Does this mean the BBC will be deplatforming women's domestic football, and we can have it exposed commensurate to its level and popularity (non league and league 2 respectively)?"

This is a very unhelpful comment at best, really.

Ladies football in England went "properly" professional in 2018. Men's football was somewhere back in the 1860s and it's only because MEN decided ladies could not play on FA grounds in the 1920s, that the previously popular sport fell into obscurity.

It's sexism, plain and simple. Perhaps men could make some amends by letting broadcasters show it and if they don't want to watch it, they can do what I do when there's snooker, golf or darts on - change channel or turn it off!

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

Always thought the squad, be it male or female were chosen on playing ability, not colour

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

So is the question then more about class and background, as opposed to race?

Or is it that they are represented proportionately as it is, given the population spread i quoted above?

over a year ago

I think a wide discussion needs to be had because young women oftend to drop out of sports particularly team sports once they hit secondary school. Girls in particular from certain ethnic, Religious or cultural groups are even less likely to participate in sport particularly football.

over a year ago

North West

"Always thought the squad, be it male or female were chosen on playing ability, not colour "

They are. The suggestion is that women's football has a lack of engagement from non-white women.

over a year ago

"Always thought the squad, be it male or female were chosen on playing ability, not colour "

The point being is that is their equal opportunities, encouragement and support for different people to take part?

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Im sure it is, which is the way it should be, but the bbc seem to have an issue with this, hence the question im asking now

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

What difference does their skin colour make? Surely they should pick the best players for the squad, same as they pic the best athletes for the athletics. It’s a no brainier.

God knows what the BBC are up to.I don’t watch it.

over a year ago

"Always thought the squad, be it male or female were chosen on playing ability, not colour

Im sure it is, which is the way it should be, but the bbc seem to have an issue with this, hence the question im asking now"

I think it's a bit misleading to suggest it is only the bcc that has had issues with this or discussions surrounding it. This exact discussion has also been had on talksport many times in the last couple of weeks.

over a year ago

North West

Why are discussions about the squad being white only? It's not. There are three non white players in the squad, out of 23. Sarina Wiegman has chosen to keep her starting 11 unchanged for all the games so far, I think, so the starting 11 have been white but some non white players have come on as subs.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"Always thought the squad, be it male or female were chosen on playing ability, not colour

Im sure it is, which is the way it should be, but the bbc seem to have an issue with this, hence the question im asking now

I think it's a bit misleading to suggest it is only the bcc that has had issues with this or discussions surrounding it. This exact discussion has also been had on talksport many times in the last couple of weeks. "

Fair enough. Is it a valid discussion though? Does 'representation' have to be present in everything?

I used the reverse example of the GB athletics team. Why not the questions of representation there?

over a year ago

They seem to be doing well, so surely that suggests in this case the correct team has been chosen.

over a year ago

I think it's a bit misleading to suggest it is only the bcc that has had issues with this or discussions surrounding it. This exact discussion has also been had on talksport many times in the last couple of weeks.

Fair enough. Is it a valid discussion though? Does 'representation' have to be present in everything?

I used the reverse example of the GB athletics team. Why not the questions of representation there? "

It's not necessarily about representation though and I think that is where people have got stuck on this discussion not on here but in other places too.

I'm literally listening to them discuss this very issue on talksport now. The discussion is mainly about encouraging women and men As well as children to participate in team sport particularly football because this is majorly lacking in some Communities and areas.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

[Removed by poster at 25/07/22 20:02:14]

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

I used the reverse example of the GB athletics team. Why not the questions of representation there?

It's not necessarily about representation though and I think that is where people have got stuck on this discussion not on here but in other places too.

I'm literally listening to them discuss this very issue on talksport now. The discussion is mainly about encouraging women and men As well as children to participate in team sport particularly football because this is majorly lacking in some Communities and areas. "

Not sure thats what the bbc were asking though. They were specifically pinpointing the lack of non white players in the England team. This wasnt a question of participation across gender and communities, this was specifically about race in the womens team

over a year ago

I'm literally listening to them discuss this very issue on talksport now. The discussion is mainly about encouraging women and men As well as children to participate in team sport particularly football because this is majorly lacking in some Communities and areas.

Not sure thats what the bbc were asking though. They were specifically pinpointing the lack of non white players in the England team. This wasnt a question of participation across gender and communities, this was specifically about race in the womens team"

Eilidh Barbour who is a presenter for the BBC who said that she felt the team was too white that is not the same as saying the BBC are saying this. That then provoked a wider discussion with other pundits who were talking about exactly the issues I am.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Not sure thats what the bbc were asking though. They were specifically pinpointing the lack of non white players in the England team. This wasnt a question of participation across gender and communities, this was specifically about race in the womens team

Eilidh Barbour who is a presenter for the BBC who said that she felt the team was too white that is not the same as saying the BBC are saying this. That then provoked a wider discussion with other pundits who were talking about exactly the issues I am."

Ok but im referring to that bbc presenter in particular; was what she said valid or was it a case of race baiting?

over a year ago

Eilidh Barbour who is a presenter for the BBC who said that she felt the team was too white that is not the same as saying the BBC are saying this. That then provoked a wider discussion with other pundits who were talking about exactly the issues I am.

Ok but im referring to that bbc presenter in particular; was what she said valid or was it a case of race baiting? "

I think she had a point because she said it needs to be in line with the men's game. And it has provoked a wider discussion which is valid and has merit.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Ok but im referring to that bbc presenter in particular; was what she said valid or was it a case of race baiting?

I think she had a point because she said it needs to be in line with the men's game. And it has provoked a wider discussion which is valid and has merit. "

Why does it need to be in line with the mens game?

And as follow up to that, is the mens game not over represented with black people given the proprtion of the population that are black?

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

I took it as that not enough black or other em are playing in the wsl and was raising the question to why I don’t think their was anything sinister but as per people have a meltdown over it

over a year ago

I think she had a point because she said it needs to be in line with the men's game. And it has provoked a wider discussion which is valid and has merit.

And as follow up to that, is the mens game not over represented with black people given the proprtion of the population that are black? "

You are bringing this to about representation when it doesn't need to be about that. Surely it is about picking the best players for the team and the very fact there are very few women to choose from Says it all and anything that encourages women particularly those from other backgrounds where team sport is not normally encouraged is a good thing.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

And as follow up to that, is the mens game not over represented with black people given the proprtion of the population that are black?

You are bringing this to about representation when it doesn't need to be about that. Surely it is about picking the best players for the team and the very fact there are very few women to choose from Says it all and anything that encourages women particularly those from other backgrounds where team sport is not normally encouraged is a good thing.

"

No im only asking the question based on the bbc reporters comments, which were about representation and the lack of racial diversity in the team.

Ill ask the question again, why arent the bbc questioning the lack of diversity in the athletics team?

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

If they all played in Burhkas we wouldn't know what colour they were. Perhaps that's a way out of all this race stuff?

over a year ago

North West

I'm watching a BBC iPlayer documentary about women's football. It's called "The Future of Women's Football" and it's by Alex Scott (the non white former England and Arsenal player, now BBC pundit).

Maybe a good place to understand the ladies' game at it is at the moment. In the grassroots games being shown, there is a mix of ethnicities for sure.

over a year ago

"I'm watching a BBC iPlayer documentary about women's football. It's called "The Future of Women's Football" and it's by Alex Scott (the non white former England and Arsenal player, now BBC pundit).

Maybe a good place to understand the ladies' game at it is at the moment. In the grassroots games being shown, there is a mix of ethnicities for sure. "

Was just about to mention that as I think it gives a good insight to some of the discussions that have been had during the games

over a year ago

"If they all played in Burhkas we wouldn't know what colour they were. Perhaps that's a way out of all this race stuff?"

Are you also going to suggest the same for the men's game?

over a year ago

North West

"I'm watching a BBC iPlayer documentary about women's football. It's called "The Future of Women's Football" and it's by Alex Scott (the non white former England and Arsenal player, now BBC pundit).

Maybe a good place to understand the ladies' game at it is at the moment. In the grassroots games being shown, there is a mix of ethnicities for sure.

Was just about to mention that as I think it gives a good insight to some of the discussions that have been had during the games"

Watching from about 33mins in, the players, former players and industry insiders all agree a lack of access to suitable academy training is a significant reason for the lack of diversity. Most mentioned access to suitable transport and cost. It's exactly what I said at the top - a disproportionate representation of non white families in situations of poverty and so families struggle to afford academy places for their daughters. There's more in the way of funding and more academy opportunities for boys and so perhaps there's not as great an impact on the men's game? There IS still an impact for the boys too, though..

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Was just about to mention that as I think it gives a good insight to some of the discussions that have been had during the games

Watching from about 33mins in, the players, former players and industry insiders all agree a lack of access to suitable academy training is a significant reason for the lack of diversity. Most mentioned access to suitable transport and cost. It's exactly what I said at the top - a disproportionate representation of non white families in situations of poverty and so families struggle to afford academy places for their daughters. There's more in the way of funding and more academy opportunities for boys and so perhaps there's not as great an impact on the men's game? There IS still an impact for the boys too, though.."

It would be more constructive then to frame the question around the socio economic situation then instead of race, would it not? Because presumably there are many disadvantaged white families who cant afford to send their kids to acadamies too?

over a year ago

North West

Watching from about 33mins in, the players, former players and industry insiders all agree a lack of access to suitable academy training is a significant reason for the lack of diversity. Most mentioned access to suitable transport and cost. It's exactly what I said at the top - a disproportionate representation of non white families in situations of poverty and so families struggle to afford academy places for their daughters. There's more in the way of funding and more academy opportunities for boys and so perhaps there's not as great an impact on the men's game? There IS still an impact for the boys too, though..

It would be more constructive then to frame the question around the socio economic situation then instead of race, would it not? Because presumably there are many disadvantaged white families who cant afford to send their kids to acadamies too? "

I'd imagine so, yes. I haven't assessed the socioeconomic background of the white women on the current England international team so am commenting with minimal evidence.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"I think a wide discussion needs to be had because young women oftend to drop out of sports particularly team sports once they hit secondary school. Girls in particular from certain ethnic, Religious or cultural groups are even less likely to participate in sport particularly football. "

Perhaps they have better things to do?

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

No im only asking the question based on the bbc reporters comments, which were about representation and the lack of racial diversity in the team.

Ill ask the question again, why arent the bbc questioning the lack of diversity in the athletics team? "

The white liberal BBC would struggle with that and it takes us into a serious issue as the mantra is that apart from skin colour there is no other difference.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Ill ask the question again, why arent the bbc questioning the lack of diversity in the athletics team?

The white liberal BBC would struggle with that and it takes us into a serious issue as the mantra is that apart from skin colour there is no other difference. "

You may have a point there. It seems to be an inconvenient truth that there are inherent differences between the races, physical, mental, emotional etc but to recognise this may be the case seems to be almost taboo and cant be spoken about

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

I see we have reached the bioessentialism aspect of the racism discourse.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"I see we have reached the bioessentialism aspect of the racism discourse.

"

I dont follow. Can you explain?

over a year ago

North West

Just watch the documentary with Alex Scott. It's very wide ranging and covers aspects such as diversity, maternity and pelvic floor health issues, exposure of the game, role of UEFA, academy set up etc.

over a year ago

"

You may have a point there. It seems to be an inconvenient truth that there are inherent differences between the races, physical, mental, emotional etc but to recognise this may be the case seems to be almost taboo and cant be spoken about"

Which differences?

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

The BBC would only be happy if the England team contained a black player, a lesbian player, a handicapped player, a deaf player and maybe a dwarf! The reason that the England team is mainly white is because those players picked are the best English players available! No other reason whatsoever!! Typical BBC looking for something that isn't there !!

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"

You may have a point there. It seems to be an inconvenient truth that there are inherent differences between the races, physical, mental, emotional etc but to recognise this may be the case seems to be almost taboo and cant be spoken about

Which differences?"

I dont have specifics, but is it not logical to accept that different levels of take up in various sports amongst different races may in part be down to inherent differences between the races?

over a year ago

Loads of sports have big issues with representation.

It's not about whether selections should be based on colour. It's about how the lack of diversity in many sports is evidence of the lack of opportunities for certain kids from grassroots level.

A great deal of this is class related but there are other factors at play too.

over a year ago

"

Which differences?

I dont have specifics, but is it not logical to accept that different levels of take up in various sports amongst different races may in part be down to inherent differences between the races? "

No.

It's ignorant.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"

Which differences?

I dont have specifics, but is it not logical to accept that different levels of take up in various sports amongst different races may in part be down to inherent differences between the races?

No.

It's ignorant."

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"

Which differences?

No.

It's ignorant."

Hmmm ignorant? Of what exactly?

So that question shouldn't even be asked then?

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I dint watch football, I know enough that there is diversity in the men's team. And of course that a number of the men's team received vile racist abuse after a match last year.

But if I'd been asked to speculate I'd have guessed a similar diversity in the women's team, I'm surprised there's non.

Of course it's a valid debate. I'm not sure why (well I can speculate) why people want to shut down a discussion on diversity abd inclusion. It's always a valid discussion.

So yes, the lack of ethnic diversity is something we should talk about in the same way a lack of sexual diversity in in men's football, well all sports not just football, is a valid discussion.

over a year ago

"

Which differences?

No.

It's ignorant.

So that question shouldn't even be asked then? "

I asked in the hope I'd misunderstood.

Clearly I hadn't.

As for what it is you're ignorant of... I'd say something like the past 30 years seems to have passed you by.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"

Which differences?

No.

It's ignorant."

Why ‘ignorant’?

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"

Which differences?

No.

It's ignorant.

So that question shouldn't even be asked then?

I asked in the hope I'd misunderstood.

Clearly I hadn't.

As for what it is you're ignorant of... I'd say something like the past 30 years seems to have passed you by."

Can we refrain from personal attacks please? Im merely posing questions and stoking debate. If youve nothing to contribute other than an attack than perhaps dont contribute

over a year ago

"

Can we refrain from personal attacks please? Im merely posing questions and stoking debate. If youve nothing to contribute other than an attack than perhaps dont contribute"

The 'debate' part is in my earlier comment about opportunities and class.

Ignorance such as yours is part of the problem too. Hence my comment

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"

Can we refrain from personal attacks please? Im merely posing questions and stoking debate. If youve nothing to contribute other than an attack than perhaps dont contribute

The 'debate' part is in my earlier comment about opportunities and class.

Ignorance such as yours is part of the problem too. Hence my comment "

Im still unclear where I've been ignorant. Ignorance is once refusing to undestand or acknowledge, all im doing is posing questions here. Since when is posing questions and stoking debate 'ignorance'?

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Im still unclear where I've been ignorant. Ignorance is once refusing to undestand or acknowledge, all im doing is posing questions here. Since when is posing questions and stoking debate 'ignorance'? "

If you truly do not understand then google is your friend.

I will say your statement quoted is almost literally the definition of the term "Sealioning"

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"Im still unclear where I've been ignorant. Ignorance is once refusing to undestand or acknowledge, all im doing is posing questions here. Since when is posing questions and stoking debate 'ignorance'?

I will say your statement quoted is almost literally the definition of the term "Sealioning""

Ah i see, so its one of those 'well if you can't see it then i can't help you out' answers then is it. Usually those are the answers you get from people who just want to shut you up but refuse to say why as it shows them in a bad light

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Im still unclear where I've been ignorant. Ignorance is once refusing to undestand or acknowledge, all im doing is posing questions here. Since when is posing questions and stoking debate 'ignorance'?

I will say your statement quoted is almost literally the definition of the term "Sealioning"

Ah i see, so its one of those 'well if you can't see it then i can't help you out' answers then is it. Usually those are the answers you get from people who just want to shut you up but refuse to say why as it shows them in a bad light"

More, you are not entitled to the labour of others and if you want to understand something then you have to put the work in and not expect others to do it for you.

over a year ago

"

"

You then go on to admit your own ignorance!

"

"

So once again, and by your own admission, no it isn't 'logical'. It's ignorant.

Ignorant to all the reasons that not all kids have the same opportunities in all sports.

And ignorant to what lies behind your own comment.

By *ananaman41 OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Ah i see, so its one of those 'well if you can't see it then i can't help you out' answers then is it. Usually those are the answers you get from people who just want to shut you up but refuse to say why as it shows them in a bad light

More, you are not entitled to the labour of others and if you want to understand something then you have to put the work in and not expect others to do it for you."

I have no idea what that means.

Ive been referred to as ignorant and those calling me that wont explain why. Ive no idea what youre on about with 'entitled to the labour of others'

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

"Does this mean the BBC will be deplatforming women's domestic football, and we can have it exposed commensurate to its level and popularity (non league and league 2 respectively)?"

Its more popular than you think and gaining.

Post new Message to Thread