Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

schools closing

Jump to newest

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

wow just read that some schools are closing due to the heat, its pathetic, alot of other countries manage, why are we so shit, it snows the country stops, it gets hot the country stops, i was at school in the last big heat wave, 1976 i think, never was closing schools even mentioned, its embarising

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

We was ‘ard back in the day!

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They start their school days earlier,many hot countries also have finished by now and have Aircon. It's also over 10c hotter than the hottest days of 1976 plus schools were not open during that as it was August!

Reply privately

By *orny DeucesCouple
over a year ago

Mansfield

Buildings in the UK are predominantly built to keep heat in, due to what was average temperatures we became used to. Around the Mediterranean the build to keep heat out. Or have installed air con units, tiled not carpet floors and such, we just haven't got the infrastructure to deal with it

Reply privately

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Because they're not built to cope with the heat.

No point in making the kids suffer.

Reply privately

By *riel13Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Other countries are prepared for it... We aren't... Although, my body copes better with the heat than air-conditioning

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not sure allowing young children to potentially suffer heat stroke or sun stroke is a responsible thing to do maybe?

Everyone is prepared to take risks until they're the one who is ultimately responsible?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably something to do with the fact that today's schools have much bigger class sizes in inappropriate sized rooms with poor ventilation. This is the last week of term and many schools will break up today or tomorrow anyway so ending early is not really a big issue is it?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Australian schools tend to have air conditioning, and country schools close over certain temperatures.

Speaking as someone who went through the Australian school system, our summer school uniforms were light weight and cotton. Our classrooms had fans (air conditioning was after my time).

And we fucking suffered on days like today. It was fucking awful. And even as a child, I was more or less used to it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/07/22 11:30:35]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Because they're not built to cope with the heat.

"

OI!

Don’t bring your sensible-ness here. It’s not welcome.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is it pathetic though? It’s quite a bit hotter than the summer of 76’ if you look at the records

Other countries are used to the heat and they are more prepared / equipped with air con and the buildings designed differently. It’s something that this country should start implementing more but I wouldn’t call it pathetic making people suffer.

How are you spending today OP? Do you have air con where you are?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

British children need to be 'ard. 'arder than their parents.

Let's prove a point and have children collapsing from heat exhaustion.

'ard. We're 'ard.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

In all seriousness though. If we were in the UK I wouldn’t be sending my youngest to school today. Her school have given the choice. I don’t blame some for closing. It is extreme and not the norm! Our country isn’t set up for this heat.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In spain and the balearics they start school a lot earlier than here to ensure everyone is home during the hottest part of the day

I have seen a lot of ppl on tv saying 'I'm from texas/Australia etc and this weather is a lot cooler than at home' but we are just not used to these higher temps

Reply privately

over a year ago

Interesting to see that the majority of responses are supporting the idea of closing the schools. Not sure if the OP was expecting that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"British children need to be 'ard. 'arder than their parents.

'ard. We're 'ard."

That was a joke ffs

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

OI!

Don’t bring your sensible-ness here. It’s not welcome. "

i grew up in england and ended up working in florida, in an unaircon workshop temps over 50 some days, i adapted, what are we teaching people, oh its to hard so i will just give up??

its not even that hot

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"British children need to be 'ard. 'arder than their parents.

'ard. We're 'ard.

That was a joke ffs "

Sorry. That was a reply to the OP not you.

As someone who did see my classmates collapse occasionally, I find this whole notion abhorrent.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"In spain and the balearics they start school a lot earlier than here to ensure everyone is home during the hottest part of the day

I have seen a lot of ppl on tv saying 'I'm from texas/Australia etc and this weather is a lot cooler than at home' but we are just not used to these higher temps "

I'm from Australia and this doesn't break into heat wave where I'm from, but a) that doesn't make it pleasant, b) we have the know how to deal with it, c) we have the tools and infrastructure to deal with it.

These temperatures are serious.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

its a bit like giving every kid a medal at sportsday, where is the insentive to better yourself, we are turning into a nation of wimps

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

".....i grew up in england and ended up working in florida, in an unaircon workshop temps over 50 some days, i adapted, what are we teaching people, oh its to hard so i will just give up??

its not even that hot"

So you were working in Florida in a workshop during your prepubesçent years?

Reply privately

over a year ago

OI!

i grew up in england and ended up working in florida, in an unaircon workshop temps over 50 some days, i adapted, what are we teaching people, oh its to hard so i will just give up??

its not even that hot"

Not that hot?? You living under a rock or something?

Yes I been in hot places, Iraq, Australia and yeah even Texas and they are used to the heat, buildings designed for it and they work their days around it, give them months of sub zero temps when not used to it and am sure they will have issues too

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"its a bit like giving every kid a medal at sportsday, where is the insentive to better yourself, we are turning into a nation of wimps"

So you'd be fine if your child collapsed at school?

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"In spain and the balearics they start school a lot earlier than here to ensure everyone is home during the hottest part of the day

I have seen a lot of ppl on tv saying 'I'm from texas/Australia etc and this weather is a lot cooler than at home' but we are just not used to these higher temps

I'm from Australia and this doesn't break into heat wave where I'm from, but a) that doesn't make it pleasant, b) we have the know how to deal with it, c) we have the tools and infrastructure to deal with it.

These temperatures are serious."

didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

"its a bit like giving every kid a medal at sportsday, where is the insentive to better yourself, we are turning into a nation of wimps"

Love a sweeping generalisation

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

".....i grew up in england and ended up working in florida, in an unaircon workshop temps over 50 some days, i adapted, what are we teaching people, oh its to hard so i will just give up??

its not even that hot

So you were working in Florida in a workshop during your prepubesçent years? "

maybe not prepudescent, but at 13, so close, i just drank more water

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway"

One of the ways we adapt is by recognising that some people (children) are vulnerable and we don't have the tools to provide them with a safe environment

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Sounding very much like a grumpy whinger mate, has the heat got to you?

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway

One of the ways we adapt is by recognising that some people (children) are vulnerable and we don't have the tools to provide them with a safe environment "

define a safe enviroment, and the differnce to learning life skills to live in the real world

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

"Is it pathetic though? It’s quite a bit hotter than the summer of 76’ if you look at the records

Other countries are used to the heat and they are more prepared / equipped with air con and the buildings designed differently. It’s something that this country should start implementing more but I wouldn’t call it pathetic making people suffer.

How are you spending today OP? Do you have air con where you are?"

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"its a bit like giving every kid a medal at sportsday, where is the insentive to better yourself, we are turning into a nation of wimps

Sounding very much like a grumpy whinger mate, has the heat got to you?

"

just not a pussy who moans when it gets a bit hot for a day or two, i will save you a coat for when it gets cold

Reply privately

over a year ago

its not even that hot

So you were working in Florida in a workshop during your prepubesçent years?

maybe not prepudescent, but at 13, so close, i just drank more water"

When I were young, I used t' lick road before breakfast which were a lump of coal...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Honestly OP I think with a few exceptions the majority do not agree with your general opinion.

Reply privately

By *upersonic SamMan
over a year ago

wigan

Had an employee ring me this morning and say he couldn't come in as he needed to look after his kid who's schools shut today, his kids 17 and at college.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Is it pathetic though? It’s quite a bit hotter than the summer of 76’ if you look at the records

How are you spending today OP? Do you have air con where you are?

"

no ac here

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway"

And how can they adapt

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

OI!

its not even that hot"

You made a choice to do that.

The kids haven't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"wow just read that some schools are closing due to the heat, its pathetic, alot of other countries manage, why are we so shit, it snows the country stops, it gets hot the country stops, i was at school in the last big heat wave, 1976 i think, never was closing schools even mentioned, its embarising"

What school did you attend in 1976, when you were 3?

Reply privately

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

American schools have ac and have already broken up.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Had an employee ring me this morning and say he couldn't come in as he needed to look after his kid who's schools shut today, his kids 17 and at college."

my point in one

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hey - heaters!

Leave them kids alone.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"wow just read that some schools are closing due to the heat, its pathetic, alot of other countries manage, why are we so shit, it snows the country stops, it gets hot the country stops, i was at school in the last big heat wave, 1976 i think, never was closing schools even mentioned, its embarising

What school did you attend in 1976, when you were 3?"

did you not go to nursury school, or didnt both your parents work?????

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Had an employee ring me this morning and say he couldn't come in as he needed to look after his kid who's schools shut today, his kids 17 and at college."

Lol that is hilarious!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"wow just read that some schools are closing due to the heat, its pathetic, alot of other countries manage, why are we so shit, it snows the country stops, it gets hot the country stops, i was at school in the last big heat wave, 1976 i think, never was closing schools even mentioned, its embarising

did you not go to nursury school, or didnt both your parents work?????"

Very different to full classes of 30 plus kids.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

One of the ways we adapt is by recognising that some people (children) are vulnerable and we don't have the tools to provide them with a safe environment

define a safe enviroment, and the differnce to learning life skills to live in the real world"

In the real world we have occupational health and safety laws. Which can include temperature regulation.

The real world also accommodates for vulnerability such as age, again through law.

My real world experience of school in this heat includes healthy children collapsing at school. You seem to be ok with this. I am not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Nursery school ?

Not even sure they were about when I was 3 which was in 62..

I'm calling bollocks on your Op mate ..

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And how can they adapt"

By collapsing.

'Ard!

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

Op I think you have founds your answer to your thread. We don’t agree. Right whos for ice cream

Reply privately

over a year ago

UK in 1976 state nursery started at 4 until first year infant school, play groups and similar for three year olds

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"wow just read that some schools are closing due to the heat, its pathetic, alot of other countries manage, why are we so shit, it snows the country stops, it gets hot the country stops, i was at school in the last big heat wave, 1976 i think, never was closing schools even mentioned, its embarising"

Many of those other countries you speak of are currently being ravaged by wildfires.

I wish people would stop harking back to 1976 as if it was just a really nice summer. It was a freak occurrence which had a devastating impact.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

Very different to full classes of 30 plus kids."

from memory, forgive me if my memory is bad, but we had around 20 in the classes, it was more a school than a nursury tbh, they didnt just look after us, they taught us

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Not sure why that's a problem. My daughter is 25 and at college and it's been cancelled today so I've had to change my plans

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

UK in 1976 state nursery started at 4 until first year infant school, play groups and similar for three year olds"

who said anything about state nursury????

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

from memory, forgive me if my memory is bad, but we had around 20 in the classes, it was more a school than a nursury tbh, they didnt just look after us, they taught us"

I’m amazed you can remember the heatwave when you were 3

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"Had an employee ring me this morning and say he couldn't come in as he needed to look after his kid who's schools shut today, his kids 17 and at college. Not sure why that's a problem. My daughter is 25 and at college and it's been cancelled today so I've had to change my plans "

but surely being at collage is not much difference to being at home temp wise, just dont get it

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

When ah were a lad we are to bang two flints together and set fire to us pubes to keep waaaarm, and be glad of it.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

from memory, forgive me if my memory is bad, but we had around 20 in the classes, it was more a school than a nursury tbh, they didnt just look after us, they taught us

I’m amazed you can remember the heatwave when you were 3"

i dont fully, just buts, but your just being obtuse now

Reply privately

over a year ago

from memory, forgive me if my memory is bad, but we had around 20 in the classes, it was more a school than a nursury tbh, they didnt just look after us, they taught us"

I call bull on this. At no point in 1976 did kids of 3 attend classes where they were taught. Also at the age of 3 it is highly unlikely that you were able to to recall that far back.

You are now trying to back up your archaic stance by coming up with lies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When ah were a lad we are to bang two flints together and set fire to us pubes to keep waaaarm, and be glad of it. "

Luxury!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Classes are larger now. The more people in a space the warmer it gets.

The schools would need to adapt to that with all the extra resources and staff they have

*Looks at rates of staff absence in schools*

*Rolls around laughing*

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to work in this heat because it takes a lot more concentration to keep my my brain engaged.

Why should the kids suffer when it's the last week of term anyway? Just sounds like another ignorant old person thinking this generation has it easier because reasons

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When ah were a lad we are to bang two flints together and set fire to us pubes to keep waaaarm, and be glad of it. "

Cor you had flint?? You is posh!

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

I’m amazed you can remember the heatwave when you were 3

i dont fully, just buts, but your just being obtuse now"

I think your the insensitive one here

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

I call bull on this. At no point in 1976 did kids of 3 attend classes where they were taught. Also at the age of 3 it is highly unlikely that you were able to to recall that far back.

You are now trying to back up your archaic stance by coming up with lies."

He might be telling the truth about remembering it, and being taught in classes that size.

He just may not have thought that people would have figured out he would have been 3 'if' his age is correct.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Hotdogs!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to work in this heat because it takes a lot more concentration to keep my my brain engaged.

Why should the kids suffer when it's the last week of term anyway? Just sounds like another ignorant old person thinking this generation has it easier because reasons "

It's just cruel.

My grandfather was punished - in ways typical in his school in his era - for being left handed.

He was just fine (other than never learning to write with his dominant hand, having appalling handwriting, and leaving school semi literate)

Kids have no idea how coddled they are these days. Bring back crushing children!

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

When I was a primary school in the 60s there were over 40 of us to a class room. Looking back I'm amazed any of us learned anything. Mind you we all stayed cool as it was the ice age

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway"

We are adapting. We're closing schools early. That's literally an adaptation.

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

"I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to work in this heat because it takes a lot more concentration to keep my my brain engaged.

Why should the kids suffer when it's the last week of term anyway? Just sounds like another ignorant old person thinking this generation has it easier because reasons "

the kids arent suffering, they are seeing their mates , interacting etc, even if not much teaching gets done, going to school is important,

and no the new generation doesnt have it easyer, we didnt have to deal with facebook etc, i would hate to be a kid now, and the argument, not from you but someone else, well its nearly the holidays, well surely those are the most important days at school

Reply privately

By *heDoncasterConnoisseurMan
over a year ago

Doncaster

We got the call last night to say we weren't opening today. Leave the kids alone - don't be haters.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway

We are adapting. We're closing schools early. That's literally an adaptation."

That's is a very good point. The human body can only take so much therefore we need to adapt the conditions rather than ourselves

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Hey - heaters!

Leave them kids alone.

All in all, you're just another prick in the warm."

Reply privately

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

We also used to think beating our kids was ok too and "made them stronger", We also mentally tortured them if they showed any signs of being different from the "norm"

I think treating our children as human beings and better than we used to is progress, not pathetic or embarrassing.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"didnt say it was nice, but we need to be able to adapt, lets face it its only going to be a few days anyway

That's is a very good point. The human body can only take so much therefore we need to adapt the conditions rather than ourselves "

To adapt to these temperatures long term, the infrastructure would need to be adapted.

A few days of school closure is probably more economical tbh. Particularly as (unlike the part of Australia I'm from) you'd also have to retain adaptations for the cold.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I know! Namby pambys springs to mind! And yes 76 year my second child born went on for months that year! Peeps just need to b sensible! All this scare mongering! X

Reply privately

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

All 3 of my children are sat at home because of the heatwave.

One child's school has closed because its a glass designed building and not every room within it has air con built in. And in this heat its like a sauna.

The other 2 children i pulled out because again they do not have a school built for this heat, not enough teachers to ensure each child is kept safe from the sun and drinks enough all day.

This was proven to me last week when my 4 year old had heat stroke from being at nursery for just 3 hours!

In lower temperatures than today/yesterday.

And was incredibly sick for the next two days.

I'm not going to risk the health of my children by sending them to school for these 2 days.

Common sense has to be used, children don't react the same way an adult does to heat and become sick very quickly.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Why should the kids suffer when it's the last week of term anyway? Just sounds like another ignorant old person thinking this generation has it easier because reasons

It's just cruel.

My grandfather was punished - in ways typical in his school in his era - for being left handed.

He was just fine (other than never learning to write with his dominant hand, having appalling handwriting, and leaving school semi literate)

Kids have no idea how coddled they are these days. Bring back crushing children! "

My mum had exactly the same.

She was really intelligent, but it basically ruined her education, as she was just constantly struggling to write with her non-dominant hand.

Some things change as we realise how shit they were. We shouldn't just keep doing things because it's 'how it was in my day'

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

the kids arent suffering, they are seeing their mates , interacting etc, even if not much teaching gets done, going to school is important,

and no the new generation doesnt have it easyer, we didnt have to deal with facebook etc, i would hate to be a kid now, and the argument, not from you but someone else, well its nearly the holidays, well surely those are the most important days at school"

So my classmates who collapsed weren't suffering?

It's not upsetting or worse to see your peers suffer a serious medical event, from the tender age of four or five?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's just cruel.

Kids have no idea how coddled they are these days. Bring back crushing children!

She was really intelligent, but it basically ruined her education, as she was just constantly struggling to write with her non-dominant hand.

Some things change as we realise how shit they were. We shouldn't just keep doing things because it's 'how it was in my day' "

My grandfather had to start his education again at the dinner table, taught by my grandmother (with his bratty children interfering )

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

That's is a very good point. The human body can only take so much therefore we need to adapt the conditions rather than ourselves

To adapt to these temperatures long term, the infrastructure would need to be adapted.

A few days of school closure is probably more economical tbh. Particularly as (unlike the part of Australia I'm from) you'd also have to retain adaptations for the cold. "

As a country though we do seem to be quite slow to adapt. Even I have noticed scientists saying that we should expect this kind of weather event regularly from now on. I don't know if plans are being made to cope with that or if we're going to continue watch the warnings on telly and do nothing until the last minute.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"They start their school days earlier,many hot countries also have finished by now and have Aircon. It's also over 10c hotter than the hottest days of 1976 plus schools were not open during that as it was August!"

Was longer than just august! And down here was same temps as now ! The whole year was unusual in temps my son was born on March 24th at 10 days old was out in his pram in garden with just a nappy! No covers was that warm early April! Just continued through the year!

Reply privately

By *akie32 OP   Man
over a year ago

winchester

and for those saying im not being honest about my recolections or age, get a grip, im an old bugger, if i was going to lie, i would say im 40 or something, god very sad,

ive just remembered why i stoped posting in forums, and just use chat, mainly on face cam so people can see i am who i say, god some of you really need to give your head a wobble, those who agreed with me, thank you

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

A few days of school closure is probably more economical tbh. Particularly as (unlike the part of Australia I'm from) you'd also have to retain adaptations for the cold.

As a country though we do seem to be quite slow to adapt. Even I have noticed scientists saying that we should expect this kind of weather event regularly from now on. I don't know if plans are being made to cope with that or if we're going to continue watch the warnings on telly and do nothing until the last minute. "

Oh agreed.

But in the short term, you recognise that it's not safe or appropriate for children to be placed in these conditions. (As occupational health and safety laws exist for adults)

In the medium to long term, you find ways to create infrastructure for these conditions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They start their school days earlier,many hot countries also have finished by now and have Aircon. It's also over 10c hotter than the hottest days of 1976 plus schools were not open during that as it was August!

Was longer than just august! And down here was same temps as now ! The whole year was unusual in temps my son was born on March 24th at 10 days old was out in his pram in garden with just a nappy! No covers was that warm early April! Just continued through the year! "

The Met office have already said highest temp that year was 32 today we going up to 42, that's 10c higher, hottest UK has ever been so not the same temp at all.

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"We also used to think beating our kids was ok too and "made them stronger", We also mentally tortured them if they showed any signs of being different from the "norm"

I think treating our children as human beings and better than we used to is progress, not pathetic or embarrassing."

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As a country though we do seem to be quite slow to adapt. Even I have noticed scientists saying that we should expect this kind of weather event regularly from now on. I don't know if plans are being made to cope with that or if we're going to continue watch the warnings on telly and do nothing until the last minute.

Oh agreed.

But in the short term, you recognise that it's not safe or appropriate for children to be placed in these conditions. (As occupational health and safety laws exist for adults)

In the medium to long term, you find ways to create infrastructure for these conditions."

Absolutely. Obviously our children are in their thirties but I still messaged them and told them to stay at home if needs be . There's no way of have sent them to school, I was responsible for their health and wellbeing not the school.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"and for those saying im not being honest about my recolections or age, get a grip, im an old bugger, if i was going to lie, i would say im 40 or something, god very sad,

ive just remembered why i stoped posting in forums, and just use chat, mainly on face cam so people can see i am who i say, god some of you really need to give your head a wobble, those who agreed with me, thank you"

Would say give your head a wobble but think it would fall off.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

In those hot countries you talk about schools start earlier, have a long break in the afternoon, and then stay open until the evening.

In London, students sometime have to get two buses; bus and train to school, or cycle, which isn't a wise move in almost 100° heat.

Thats almost boiling point for water.

How some people don't understand this weather is a danger to life baffles me.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"They start their school days earlier,many hot countries also have finished by now and have Aircon. It's also over 10c hotter than the hottest days of 1976 plus schools were not open during that as it was August!"

This!

Reply privately

over a year ago

My school is open but parents have been given the option to not send them in or pick up after lunch time. I'd say we have 1/3 of the kids in. Those that are working single parents have no choice but to send them in. That goes for breakfast club and playcentre too. My school is one level and made of plastic and glass. It's like a greenhouse.

We're doing our best to keep the kids comfortable but no teaching is going on.

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Got a text from current girlfriend at 10:30 this morning, it was 30.5 in the classroom. No air con of course and no breeze.

Why were there no warnings in the papers or TV telling us how to cope with extreme heat?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"and for those saying im not being honest about my recolections or age, get a grip, im an old bugger, if i was going to lie, i would say im 40 or something, god very sad,

ive just remembered why i stoped posting in forums, and just use chat, mainly on face cam so people can see i am who i say, god some of you really need to give your head a wobble, those who agreed with me, thank you"

So those who disagree need to give our heads a wobble?

I'm very sorry that I found my peers collapsing upsetting, that my uniform clung to my body as I silently begged the fan to hit me soon. That I'd get home and just lie on the tile floor. That I wouldn't inflict that on my own child, that I think we can do better.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh agreed.

In the medium to long term, you find ways to create infrastructure for these conditions.

Absolutely. Obviously our children are in their thirties but I still messaged them and told them to stay at home if needs be . There's no way of have sent them to school, I was responsible for their health and wellbeing not the school."

My mum is checking on me more than usual

Mum, you raised me, I'm fine. I'm treating it like it's 45+ and I'm positively comfortable

Reply privately

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

Well you can’t expect everyone to agree with you. We are talking about serious health issues here

Reply privately

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

A lot of people take issue with the idea of child abuse dressed up in nostalgia.

Your going to get some pushback

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

OI!

its not even that hot"

It's set to be the hottest day in record so how is that "not even that hot"

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

During the heatwave of '76 we stayed indoors or swam.

We were on holiday in Clacton for two weeks of it, and we spent a lot of time in the pool or in the clubhouse.

I don't remember feeling stifled while walking in it at 8pm. I also don't remember having to keep the windows closed because the air coming in was hot.

I remember getting heatstroke once because I fell asleep in the sun, and that was horrible.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"They start their school days earlier,many hot countries also have finished by now and have Aircon. It's also over 10c hotter than the hottest days of 1976 plus schools were not open during that as it was August!

Was longer than just august! And down here was same temps as now ! The whole year was unusual in temps my son was born on March 24th at 10 days old was out in his pram in garden with just a nappy! No covers was that warm early April! Just continued through the year!

The Met office have already said highest temp that year was 32 today we going up to 42, that's 10c higher, hottest UK has ever been so not the same temp at all."

I'll not argue with u x

Reply privately

over a year ago

People need to give their head a wobble because they don’t share the same views as you?

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

x

Reply privately

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"Australian schools tend to have air conditioning, and country schools close over certain temperatures.

Speaking as someone who went through the Australian school system, our summer school uniforms were light weight and cotton. Our classrooms had fans (air conditioning was after my time).

And we fucking suffered on days like today. It was fucking awful. And even as a child, I was more or less used to it."

Then, on Radio4 a few nights ago, a head teacher almost crying on the radio that the electricity bill has risen from £45,000 to £150,000. Looking at the school on Google Earth, the roof is big enough to fit over 300kwh of Solar.

I've recently spoken to a head of a local school who was given free Solar panels, who is now looking at pricing for Air-Source Air Conditioners for each class as a cheap to run 'heat source'. The benefits today would be free Air Conditioning in every class. Then cheap/free heating the rest of the year.

The energy cost savings alone on heating could justify Air Conditioners fitted in Schools.

Care homes MUST have a cooled room set aside for times like today.

Reply privately

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

What it’s pathetic that people care about their child’s health and we must all give our heads a wobbly if we disagree with you. There is only 1 person on this thread who needs to do that

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

The Met office have already said highest temp that year was 32 today we going up to 42, that's 10c higher, hottest UK has ever been so not the same temp at all."

3rd July Gloucestershire 35.9 just had a look! So pretty much and as I say weird temps whole of that year! Not couple of days x

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As an aside on our local news last night they interviewed s care home manager who was detailing how she was keeping her residents comfortable. They them interviewed two women residents one wearing a blouse made of man made fibre, the other a long sleeve top and fleece body warmer... for god's sake! The poor care home manager must have despaired

Reply privately

over a year ago

"its a bit like giving every kid a medal at sportsday, where is the insentive to better yourself, we are turning into a nation of wimps

Extra spelling lessons perhaps?

Embarrass

Incentive

"

Lol I was avoiding stating this. Obviously the taught classes he was taught at 3 years old did not include spelling.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Our daughter's school is allowing non uniform and optional attendance. She is attending because we both have to work and it's a busy time for us both. I recently took a week of leave at the start of July and I cannot take more at the moment.

The school stated by text that indoor temperatures yesterday (cooler than today) reached 32°C and that some children were taken ill. The temperature inside our (very badly insulated) house has reached 30°C. We're having to WFH because I have COVID and the trains aren't running for Mr KC. Obviously no air con at home.

We're coping but having come from Toledo last week, where it was 40-42°C most days, the indoor and nighttime temperatures here feel worse. The Spanish schools finished at the end of June, people I spoke to were incredulous that our kids were still in school at the start of July. Other people from the various nations I was with on the trip also said their young people had either finished school or would be finished at the end of the first week of July.

So, current temperatures are not impacting schools etc in places like Spain.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The Met office have already said highest temp that year was 32 today we going up to 42, that's 10c higher, hottest UK has ever been so not the same temp at all.

3rd July Gloucestershire 35.9 just had a look! So pretty much and as I say weird temps whole of that year! Not couple of days x"

35 and 42 are quite different beasts.

Reply privately

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Extra spelling lessons perhaps?

Embarrass

Incentive

Lol I was avoiding stating this. Obviously the taught classes he was taught at 3 years old did not include spelling."

I avoid it unless the person themselves criticised spelling and grammar.

Between dyslexia and similar conditions and how F'ed up auto correct can be on various devices I think it is a little snobby to expect perfect English at all times on a forum!

Not defending the OP but I think the message was far worse than the way it was conveyed!

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

It was the hottest day ever on record in Greater Manchester yesterday. It's hotter today, so another record. How anyone can say "1976 blah blah" is talking codswallop. It's a lot hotter right now, RECORD temperatures. As in, hottest day ever in recorded history. It's never been hotter in the UK.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Remember the temperatures which are expected are those in the shade as that is how we measure it. 42degrees in the shade is super hot!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It was the hottest day ever on record in Greater Manchester yesterday. It's hotter today, so another record. How anyone can say "1976 blah blah" is talking codswallop. It's a lot hotter right now, RECORD temperatures. As in, hottest day ever in recorded history. It's never been hotter in the UK."

Yup.

But we need to be cruel because reasons

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"When ah were a lad we are to bang two flints together and set fire to us pubes to keep waaaarm, and be glad of it.

Hotdog! "

Jumping frog. Albuquerque.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It was the hottest day ever on record in Greater Manchester yesterday. It's hotter today, so another record. How anyone can say "1976 blah blah" is talking codswallop. It's a lot hotter right now, RECORD temperatures. As in, hottest day ever in recorded history. It's never been hotter in the UK."

So. Mrs KC is it the hottest day on record or not?

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Had an employee ring me this morning and say he couldn't come in as he needed to look after his kid who's schools shut today, his kids 17 and at college. Not sure why that's a problem. My daughter is 25 and at college and it's been cancelled today so I've had to change my plans

but surely being at collage is not much difference to being at home temp wise, just dont get it"

she doesn't have to travel, she stays in ans actually as her college is rooms with mostly glass to make it light and airy today it would be like a green house in there.

She is also disabled... my point was that just because someone's age is older, doesn't mean they don't need looking after x

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

OI!

its not even that hot"

You're either superhuman or you had air con wherever you were. 50° will kill a human very quickly.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

OI!

its not even that hot

You're either superhuman or you had air con wherever you were. 50° will kill a human very quickly. "

Quite.

I can speak to 48.

I got out of that shit ASAP and sought shelter.

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

That's just an excuse.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Because we lived through 76 maybe?? Just a thought x

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

It's just cruel.

Some things change as we realise how shit they were. We shouldn't just keep doing things because it's 'how it was in my day' "

They managed to fuck up my dad exactly the same way He committed the offences of being both left handed and dyslexic, in the days when the teaching profession regarded the first as being deliberately disruptive and the second as being stupid.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It was the hottest day ever on record in Greater Manchester yesterday. It's hotter today, so another record. How anyone can say "1976 blah blah" is talking codswallop. It's a lot hotter right now, RECORD temperatures. As in, hottest day ever in recorded history. It's never been hotter in the UK.

Because we lived through 76 maybe?? Just a thought x"

So you get to say that this isn't as bad, when it's measured as worse?

That doesn't make a lick of sense

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"It was the hottest day ever on record in Greater Manchester yesterday. It's hotter today, so another record. How anyone can say "1976 blah blah" is talking codswallop. It's a lot hotter right now, RECORD temperatures. As in, hottest day ever in recorded history. It's never been hotter in the UK.

Irrespective of that, it's a record. The highest EVER temperature. Hotter than '76, hotter than any other day that has ever occurred in the UK. 1976 is not relevant!

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

So. Mrs KC is it the hottest day on record or not? "

Dunno. Can't decide

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Irrespective of that, it's a record. The highest EVER temperature. Hotter than '76, hotter than any other day that has ever occurred in the UK. 1976 is not relevant!"

I lived through winter in Sydney, where it gets up to 15 on a lot of days

Therefore no one should complain about British winters, because look, I lived through winter in Sydney!

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/07/22 12:37:13]

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Because 76 wasn't as hot maybe? People still died back in 76 and during other heatwaves with lower temperatures.

Using commonsense might stop some deaths.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The ten hottest days ever in the UK have been within the last 20 years.

I am not old enough to remember 1976 as I was only 1, however, my parents say this heat is way worse that then.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Irrespective of that, it's a record. The highest EVER temperature. Hotter than '76, hotter than any other day that has ever occurred in the UK. 1976 is not relevant!

The ten hottest days ever in the UK have been within the last 20 years.

I am not old enough to remember 1976 as I was only 1, however, my parents say this heat is way worse that then."

I remember it, and today I wish it were 76 temperatures again.

My cousin stayed over in the 76 one and we shared a bed. I wouldn't want anyone in my bed in this heat.

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

That would be the 1976 that wasn't as hot as it is now, being as now is the hottest day that has ever been recorded in England since thermometers were invented.

The fact that 46 years ago there were some warm days does not change the fact that NOW IS THE HOTTEST IT HAS BEEN IN ENGLAND IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Just think though, there is a very good chance that this could be the COOLEST summer that any child born this year might ever see...

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

That would be the 1976 that wasn't as hot as it is now, being as now is the hottest day that has ever been recorded in England since thermometers were invented.

The fact that 46 years ago there were some warm days does not change the fact that NOW IS THE HOTTEST IT HAS BEEN IN ENGLAND IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Just think though, there is a very good chance that this could be the COOLEST summer that any child born this year might ever see..."

It's worrying

Reply privately

By *atty CoramWoman
over a year ago

Wimbledon

The transport system is also under strain. Rails are likely to expand and buckle so getting students to stay at home reduces the strain.

The train services advise essential travel only; we are now set up for remote learning now too unlike the 70s.

Apologies if this has already been said.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

I'm pretty sure not everyone lived through 76 in the same way not everyone will live through these few days, spikes in temperatures (high or low) always lead to an increase in deaths particularly in the elderly. I'm pretty sure that was the case in 76 too

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The transport system is also under strain. Rails are likely to expand and buckle so getting students to stay at home reduces the strain.

The train services advise essential travel only; we are now set up for remote learning now too unlike the 70s.

Apologies if this has already been said."

I remember travelling on buses and trains in Sydney before air conditioning was common on them.

Don't touch the hand rails, you'll get a welt from the burn. You'll stick to the seat. The combined body odour probably killed all the plants along the routes. Maybe if you were lucky the breeze from an open window made it as nice as very unpleasant.

Reply privately

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Your comparing letting schools close due to the heat to giving all children a medal on sports day? I do agree the giving a medal to all on sports day is ridiculous. Your always gonna face competion in life and not ways gonna win.. but what incentive to better yourself is gained from not closing schools.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

OI!

its not even that hot

You're either superhuman or you had air con wherever you were. 50° will kill a human very quickly. "

I've experienced 50 degree heat in the Sahara and it is impossible to describe how intense it is, no one would survive being out in that for long let alone working in it

Reply privately

By *ysteriousgirl97Woman
over a year ago

Coventry

Well said

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

OI!

its not even that hot

You're either superhuman or you had air con wherever you were. 50° will kill a human very quickly.

I've experienced 50 degree heat in the Sahara and it is impossible to describe how intense it is, no one would survive being out in that for long let alone working in it"

The closest I can get at almost that hot is, imagine the heat that hits you when you open the oven door. Like that.

Reply privately

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Ah yes, let's force *children* to sit and sweat while being unable to concentrate for however many hours, just because you did it "back in the day". Sounds productive...

LvM

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Do yiu think in 76 people said 'well we coped last year when it was 25, not sure what the fuss is about?"

Of course they didn't, 7 degrees is a huge difference in temperature. This comparison to 76 is ridiculous

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

OI!

its not even that hot

I've experienced 50 degree heat in the Sahara and it is impossible to describe how intense it is, no one would survive being out in that for long let alone working in it

The closest I can get at almost that hot is, imagine the heat that hits you when you open the oven door. Like that."

Yeah that describes it pretty well, I remember walking in it and a few hundred metres was draining and incredibly unpleasant!

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Tbf to the OP he did mention snow as well was getting at extremes! Which is a valid point! And get where he is coming from! There is alot of scaremongering in the press as we all know! On the other hand was bit silly to say it's not that hot futherdown the post! As it obvs is very hot unless u are a bearded dragon or something! x

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Tbf to the OP he did mention snow as well was getting at extremes! Which is a valid point! And get where he is coming from! There is alot of scaremongering in the press as we all know! On the other hand was bit silly to say it's not that hot futherdown the post! As it obvs is very hot unless u are a bearded dragon or something! x"

These temperatures can be life threatening.

I'm sorry if you find that scaremongering, but it's true.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

and no the new generation doesnt have it easyer, we didnt have to deal with facebook etc, i would hate to be a kid now, and the argument, not from you but someone else, well its nearly the holidays, well surely those are the most important days at school"

If they stand to gain no educational benefit from being at school, then what's the point in commuting to a classroom with no air con, when no teaching is being done, just to be social with their mates when they can do that over the next six weeks and even when term starts again?

Reply privately

over a year ago

1976 isn't the uks last heat wave ffs

I wasn't here then, so but SA a good few hundred if not a thousand foot above sea level with low oxygen then. That's fucking heat, not this pathetic 40c.

I worked nights about 46c.

I know people struggle in different temperatures, but the UK population do like to moan a lot about the weather. Wait till it rains, you lot will moan then ffs

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

and no the new generation doesnt have it easyer, we didnt have to deal with facebook etc, i would hate to be a kid now, and the argument, not from you but someone else, well its nearly the holidays, well surely those are the most important days at school

If they stand to gain no educational benefit from being at school, then what's the point in commuting to a classroom with no air con, when no teaching is being done, just to be social with their mates when they can do that over the next six weeks and even when term starts again? "

Because we're 'ard.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Tbf to the OP he did mention snow as well was getting at extremes! Which is a valid point! And get where he is coming from! There is alot of scaremongering in the press as we all know! On the other hand was bit silly to say it's not that hot futherdown the post! As it obvs is very hot unless u are a bearded dragon or something! x

These temperatures can be life threatening.

I'm sorry if you find that scaremongering, but it's true."

Agree to disagree! U missed my point but as I say agree to disagree x

Reply privately

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

OI!

its not even that hot

The closest I can get at almost that hot is, imagine the heat that hits you when you open the oven door. Like that.

Yeah that describes it pretty well, I remember walking in it and a few hundred metres was draining and incredibly unpleasant!"

I remember driving along the road in the navada desert with my sister and both decided we wanted to climb a sand dune. Found somewhere to stop and I think we may of got 2 steps into it before deciding that would do and technically we had climbed a sand dune in desert. We just never mention we got o my 1/2ft up it stepping out the aircon car was like waking straight into a dry oven..

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Tbf to the OP he did mention snow as well was getting at extremes! Which is a valid point! And get where he is coming from! There is alot of scaremongering in the press as we all know! On the other hand was bit silly to say it's not that hot futherdown the post! As it obvs is very hot unless u are a bearded dragon or something! x"

What kind of scaremongering?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"1976 isn't the uks last heat wave ffs

I wasn't here then, so but SA a good few hundred if not a thousand foot above sea level with low oxygen then. That's fucking heat, not this pathetic 40c.

I worked nights about 46c.

I know people struggle in different temperatures, but the UK population do like to moan a lot about the weather. Wait till it rains, you lot will moan then ffs"

This is fucking heat to those unaccustomed to it and without the tools to deal with it.

Yours, an Australian.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

I'm pretty sure the hottest day on record, the Met office issuing a red weather warning and a genuine risk to life isn't 'scaremongering in the press'

We are living in a climate crisis. And we live in a society structured around average temperatures which means we aren't going to cope with extremes while the extremes in heat, cold, rainfall will vexing even more extreme and frequent.

Reply privately

over a year ago

my wife is a teacher and here room reached 38 yesterday. No air conditioning, no breeze. They had two fans in a class of 30 working on computers.

Two fainted it was so hot.

School closed at mid day today

Reply privately

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Some schools are closed, but plenty are open. I would prefer the head teacher, who knows their building and pupils, to make the decision over whether it is safe in extreme weather to open. This is not embarrassing, just sense. Same as some office buildings might be closed, or some trains not running.

Our children's school is open. They are in cotton shorts and t-shirts. They are barefoot in their classrooms and will not be allowed outside, but have fans on and are being given ice lollies. I don't suppose they're learning much, but it is their last day. But if school had been cancelled these last 2 days I would have accepted that as perfectly reasonable in the situation

Reply privately

over a year ago

The dangers of extreme heat to children, the elderly and those with underlying conditions is well known. As many people have said, our infrastructure in the UK is not designed to cope with such extremes. As someone with an chronic condition which gets much worse in the heat (I struggle even at 20 degrees sometimes), I can testify just how much of a danger these temperatures can be.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

And it's not only the British who talk about the weather, we just have more opportunity as our weather changes like...umm..the weather.

In Tunisia a taxi driver asked me if I liked the weather; which was in the mid to high 70s in October.

When I said yes he said oh it was 40° last week, VERY hot.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Tbf to the OP he did mention snow as well was getting at extremes! Which is a valid point! And get where he is coming from! There is alot of scaremongering in the press as we all know! On the other hand was bit silly to say it's not that hot futherdown the post! As it obvs is very hot unless u are a bearded dragon or something! x

I'm pretty sure the hottest day on record, the Met office issuing a red weather warning and a genuine risk to life isn't 'scaremongering in the press'

We are living in a climate crisis. And we live in a society structured around average temperatures which means we aren't going to cope with extremes while the extremes in heat, cold, rainfall will vexing even more extreme and frequent."

Tbh I've found the media's response to be insufficiently serious, in the main.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Just think though, there is a very good chance that this could be the COOLEST summer that any child born this year might ever see..."

Warm days in 76??? Pmsl!!! X

Reply privately

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

This thread is split into two camps, those showing genuine concern for the health and welfare of the nation.

On the other side you have Monty Pythons Four Yorkshiremen

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just announced that the temps have now hit above 40.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

We are living in a climate crisis. And we live in a society structured around average temperatures which means we aren't going to cope with extremes while the extremes in heat, cold, rainfall will vexing even more extreme and frequent.

Tbh I've found the media's response to be insufficiently serious, in the main."

I agree, it's not unlike this thread with a spirit of we should be fine abd there's definitely no climate crisis

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

And it had a massive impact! People are really not referencing 1976 correctly.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Tbh I've found the media's response to be insufficiently serious, in the main.

I agree, it's not unlike this thread with a spirit of we should be fine abd there's definitely no climate crisis "

Most of us should be fine this time.

But all of us will find it more pleasant and more of us will be fine if we treat it seriously.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The ten hottest days ever in the UK have been within the last 20 years.

I am not old enough to remember 1976 as I was only 1, however, my parents say this heat is way worse that then."

It was hot yes, was in basic training in the Army near Aldershot interrupted for a bit of heath fire fighting..

This is hotter, absolutely no question..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I remember sports day 1995 best sports day of my life mid heat wave but they had 4 huge plastic drums filled with water for kids to stand in if they got too hot was a great day i won shit loads

Reply privately

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Both my kids schools are closed, I’d rather them be home and be able to make sure they are kept cool and keep drinking lots. Both schools tried to make the day as bearable as possible yesterday but the kids struggled and got no work done.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's not embarrassing at all it has literally just reached 40.2 at Heathrow. We haven't experienced temperatures this hot ever! The average temperature in the summer of 76 was 30, this is 10 degrees hotter So not even comparable.

Of course other countries that experience hot weather for weeks if not months on end are better equipped.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It wasn't as hot as this in 1976

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well this has been thoroughly enjoyable.

The I had to do it so pull up your boot straps mentality is quite concerning. Selfish, odd attitude. This sort of thinking leads to Tory governments and shit like Brexit.

Reply privately

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

I have two primary age kids. They go to different schools.

One school said it was our choice to keep them home or not and we won’t be penalised for it. I sent him in school. Class of 6 pupils only and he needs his routine.

The other school was open. It’s also her last few days in year 6 so all they have done is have water fights (with water guns and balloons taken from home), played on electronics from home (iPads, phones etc) and they are each making burgers tomorrow.

I wouldn’t keep her off even if I could. They are loving it this week so I’m glad they didn’t shut the school.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The majority of people and workplaces don't have air conditioning including schools. We don't normally need it and our homes and buildings are built to keep the heat in not out. I think it's sensible to take precautions, We are not used to this.

Reply privately

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

In a country like England where we can have all 4 seasons in an hour it's next to impossible to plan for any given weather condition.

In countries where the weather conditions are more predictable its easier to "set" the facilities up.

I remember a few years back, sudden and unexpected downpouring of snow and everything ground to a haly due to not enough grit.

Everyone complained about the lack of grit.

Next year, vast stocks of grit purchased and no snow.

Everyone moans we spent £50 million on grit we didn't need.

Forward planning on English weather has to be next to impossible.

Winston

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well this has been thoroughly enjoyable.

The I had to do it so pull up your boot straps mentality is quite concerning. Selfish, odd attitude. This sort of thinking leads to Tory governments and shit like Brexit. "

I had to do it, and I don't want others to have to.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

A friend sent me a pic of the temp in her classroom this morning before the kids had turned up. It was 37. Some Schools are not equipped with making the school cooler so they have to improvise.

She had kids with their feet in a tray of cold water yesterday to try and keep them cool but there were a lot of them flagging. How much work would you get out of children who are very uncomfortable anyway.

I wouldn't want my child baking in a hot classroom.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a bit like when we get snow in the South and everything grinds to a halt and people say it's a shambles the North cope. I lived in Southampton for 27 years and we had snow about 10 times that laid.

So of course people struggled as again it's something people are not used to. Also it's hardly worth investing snowploughs and other equipment that would help for such a rare event.

Reply privately

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"Both my kids schools are closed, I’d rather them be home and be able to make sure they are kept cool and keep drinking lots. Both schools tried to make the day as bearable as possible yesterday but the kids struggled and got no work done."

This

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"This thread is split into two camps, those showing genuine concern for the health and welfare of the nation.

On the other side you have Monty Pythons Four Yorkshiremen"

And please don't forget those who like Prefab Sprout.

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"This thread is split into two camps, those showing genuine concern for the health and welfare of the nation.

On the other side you have Monty Pythons Four Yorkshiremen"

And please don't forget those who like Prefab Sprout.

Winston likes Prefab Sprout too. Fact.

Reply privately