Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Love Island Misogyny

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that Women's Aid and Refuge, two leading charities, are concerned about the misogyny and controlling behaviours shown by some of the inmates.

What's going on here guys?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No idea. Never watched it. What do you think Tom? Do you agree?

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Reports that Women's Aid and Refuge, two leading charities, are concerned about the misogyny and controlling behaviours shown by some of the inmates.

What's going on here guys?"

I thiught it was one guy, abd I think their concerns (from the bits I've read) are 100% valid

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't watch it but if it's representative in any way of the general population it'll reflect various behaviour I imagine.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What's going on here guys?"

A group of men and women participate in a series of tasks with a partner that they keep swapping until they meet the love of their life

over a year ago

"Reports that Women's Aid and Refuge, two leading charities, are concerned about the misogyny and controlling behaviours shown by some of the inmates.

What's going on here guys?"

No idea never seen it and never want to..

Have you seen it? What do you think is going on here??

over a year ago

What's going on here guys?

I thiught it was one guy, abd I think their concerns (from the bits I've read) are 100% valid"

It's two men (Luca and Davide) and WA also warned about the guy from 2018 (Adam?) - emotional abuse from all 3. I don't watch the show but I hope to tell that Love Island actively support the women AND don't let the men get away with it. Emotional abuse is widespread enough without a popular TV show making it seem ok. FWIW I know men who've experienced emotional abuse too.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

It's all very toxic from what I've seen on social media, but then it's heavily influenced by the production team.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"It's all very toxic from what I've seen on social media, but then it's heavily influenced by the production team."

I’ve seen bits and I agree.

It is also full of the most awful people I’ve ever encountered. And Gemma 3

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

ASCII hearts don’t work then

over a year ago

"It's all very toxic from what I've seen on social media, but then it's heavily influenced by the production team.

It is also full of the most awful people I’ve ever encountered. And Gemma 3"

I preferred the original Gemma.

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

Definitely far too many males seem to have a problem differentiating between flirting and being sociable. The latest example of this happened on Love Island.

Is there anything wrong with flirty banter anyway? So long as banter is all it is.

over a year ago

I'll be interested to hear how Gemma responds to those accusations. She seems more than capable of handling herself.

over a year ago

"It's all very toxic from what I've seen on social media, but then it's heavily influenced by the production team.

It is also full of the most awful people I’ve ever encountered. And Gemma 3

I preferred the original Gemma."

I am now realising that you messaged me a joke a few weeks ago.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I preferred the original Gemma."

She’s going to be an absolute goddess when she grows up.

over a year ago

"I preferred the original Gemma.

I am now realising that you messaged me a joke a few weeks ago. "

Well your previous username was very ambiguous.

over a year ago

Well your previous username was very ambiguous."

I don't even remember what it was now.

over a year ago

I don't even remember what it was now. "

Me neither but the joke was amazing.

over a year ago

Me neither but the joke was amazing."

So good that I didn't know it was a joke...

over a year ago

So good that I didn't know it was a joke... "

They're the best kind.

over a year ago

They're the best kind."

Interesting approach to meeting women

over a year ago

They're the best kind.

Interesting approach to meeting women "

What's meeting?

By *ackdaw52Man
over a year ago

Chesterfield

It's a manipulated reality show. The format wouldn't work without emotional abuse.

over a year ago

They're the best kind.

Interesting approach to meeting women

What's meeting?"

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Find it funny when all the women complaining about their behaviours are the same ones that be drooling over the thought of these lads on a night out

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

We watch it.

Mainly because it's car crash TV (as most reality shows are these days) and it's pretty hard to avoid news of what's happening if you're in any way active on social media or work with others who watch the show.

It's massively staged and orchestrated by the production team and that's obvious. The kind of people who go on the show know exactly what they're letting themselves in for, know precisely how to 'play the game' and best interact with others to maximise exposure and post-show earning potential, and if you believe the 'relationships' that form and break up are in any way 100% genuine then more fool you.

Everyone does what they can to stay on the show, including switching partners based on who they think will appeal to the public and keep them in the game as long as possible.

You don't get to go on the show if you're not a strong character. Some of the personalities shown are vile, manipulative and controlling. But equally some of the contestants coming across as victims are deliberately playing on the sympathies and empathy of both other contestants and viewers.

If anyone thinks they can find the 'love of their life' in a closed environment with minimal variation in interaction and experiences with others, then they need to give their heads a wobble. It's no different to a 'holiday romance' where once back in the real world 99% will fail in weeks.

The producers want strong personalities. They want drama. They want clashes, break-ups and controversy. It would get zero viewers if everyone was nice, sweet and polite to each other 24/7.

It's all about the ratings and the marketing/advertising opportunities.

A

over a year ago

Putting testosterone filled males together in competition to win money and get birds and as a show activly undermining what they got going on im not nearly surprised people think this and the girls aint no angels

over a year ago

Where’s man’s aid to support us after watching Tasha emotionally abuse Andrew the way she’s done?

over a year ago

"Putting testosterone filled males together in competition to win money and get birds and as a show activly undermining what they got going on im not nearly surprised people think this and the girls aint no angels"

Game set an match

over a year ago

"We watch it.

Mainly because it's car crash TV (as most reality shows are these days) and it's pretty hard to avoid news of what's happening if you're in any way active on social media or work with others who watch the show.

It's massively staged and orchestrated by the production team and that's obvious. The kind of people who go on the show know exactly what they're letting themselves in for, know precisely how to 'play the game' and best interact with others to maximise exposure and post-show earning potential, and if you believe the 'relationships' that form and break up are in any way 100% genuine then more fool you.

Everyone does what they can to stay on the show, including switching partners based on who they think will appeal to the public and keep them in the game as long as possible.

You don't get to go on the show if you're not a strong character. Some of the personalities shown are vile, manipulative and controlling. But equally some of the contestants coming across as victims are deliberately playing on the sympathies and empathy of both other contestants and viewers.

If anyone thinks they can find the 'love of their life' in a closed environment with minimal variation in interaction and experiences with others, then they need to give their heads a wobble. It's no different to a 'holiday romance' where once back in the real world 99% will fail in weeks.

The producers want strong personalities. They want drama. They want clashes, break-ups and controversy. It would get zero viewers if everyone was nice, sweet and polite to each other 24/7.

It's all about the ratings and the marketing/advertising opportunities.

A"

So true

over a year ago

"Where’s man’s aid to support us after watching Tasha emotionally abuse Andrew the way she’s done? "

I've not watched the show but charities to support abuse against men aren't as well known - Women's Aid were apparently tagged on Twitter by a lot of people. To be fair the statement from WA about talking to contestants isn't gendered:

‘We are talking to ITV, and they have shared with us information on their inclusion training, but what appears to be missing is specific information on abusive relationships and an understanding of controlling behaviour in relationships.’

Mankind specifically supports men and Survivors Network supports all genders - Im sure there are more organisations supporting males.

Post new Message to Thread