Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London Marathon

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We were wondering if anyone else on here is training for this years London Marathon?

It's our first ever marathon and wanted to gain some advice from anyone that has already done it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

No but I’ve run a load of marathons so can give you advice on running marathons.

By *ikesEmBigMan
over a year ago

Herts

It's quicker by car

over a year ago

Thank you it's a completely new experience for us so any advice is handy.

over a year ago

"It's quicker by car"

Not in London it isn't.

26 miles in London can take all day driving.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I did it but I'm really slow so might not be the best at advice. But I did it lol

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Free tube travel to get to your starter pens. Once in the pens you’re in there till the start, so don’t forget anything. Find a pacer and stick with them, eventually the runners around you will become friends and help you keep on track.

At the end there’s plenty of places to meet family and friends, they mark up the trees with letters of the alphabet. So get that person to text you what letter they’re under.

The organisation is brilliant from the start to finish and plenty of water or gels available.

I ran it in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My final bit of advice, don’t run with music or keep it to minimum as the atmosphere will keep you motivated.

Enjoy

By *ustlooking900Man
over a year ago

Donegal

I run ABIT before done the Dublin marathon and a fair few half marathons the advice I'd give it don't go running on it's a long way I ran with 5 fellas and I stayed with the last as he wasn't the fittest I was pretty fit he lasted to 18 miles an told me to go on as he couldn't run anymore I then past the rest of the fellas before I got to the end they were all gassed happy to help in any way if I can

over a year ago

"Free tube travel to get to your starter pens. Once in the pens you’re in there till the start, so don’t forget anything. Find a pacer and stick with them, eventually the runners around you will become friends and help you keep on track.

At the end there’s plenty of places to meet family and friends, they mark up the trees with letters of the alphabet. So get that person to text you what letter they’re under.

The organisation is brilliant from the start to finish and plenty of water or gels available.

I ran it in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My final bit of advice, don’t run with music or keep it to minimum as the atmosphere will keep you motivated.

Enjoy "

Thank you so much it's advice like that, that people forget to mention x

over a year ago

"I run ABIT before done the Dublin marathon and a fair few half marathons the advice I'd give it don't go running on it's a long way I ran with 5 fellas and I stayed with the last as he wasn't the fittest I was pretty fit he lasted to 18 miles an told me to go on as he couldn't run anymore I then past the rest of the fellas before I got to the end they were all gassed happy to help in any way if I can "

Thank you a lot of people online have said don't get drawn into races and stay below your normal pace because that last 6/8 miles are hell on earth if you've gone too quick to that point x

over a year ago

"I did it but I'm really slow so might not be the best at advice. But I did it lol "

We aren't going to be smashing any land speed records either and congratulations it doesn't matter how quick you do it the aim is to finish x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I haven't run a marathon race, but I have run the distance and there's plenty of more experienced runners who will give you advice, I'm sure.

Mine is - don't get pulled along at the start so you set out too fast. Know what your pace should be and stick to it.

I always take immodium before big runs. Not really recommended but it gives me peace of mind. Nowt worse than needing a poo and it ruining your race.

By *lue_eyed_boy200Man
over a year ago

cottage

Loadssss of advice:

Decide what overall time you want to achieve and workout what your pace per mile needs to be and then train towards that. On most runs you want to be hitting your race pace plus 20 seconds per mile whilst you increase the mileage.

Don’t run a marathon distance during training, max I would suggest is 20 miles once!

If you don’t feel like running then don’t, swimming/cycling is a great substitute

Get used to running on gels/food and figure out a nutrition plan. I bought a belt and ran long distance training runs on gels just to get my body used to absorbing them (some people really don’t get on with them). Work out how many carbs you need as well, roughly 60g of carbs per hour as soon as you start running. Don’t start taking gels/food when you start feeling rough, it’s too late

Try and work out if you can alter your pace throughout. I tried running a fast 12 miler and then ease off the pace for the last 14, that didn’t work out so I tried to stay consistent on the pace throughout.

Of course, if you’re just happy to complete a marathon then disregard most of the above!

By *ustlooking900Man
over a year ago

Donegal

"I run ABIT before done the Dublin marathon and a fair few half marathons the advice I'd give it don't go running on it's a long way I ran with 5 fellas and I stayed with the last as he wasn't the fittest I was pretty fit he lasted to 18 miles an told me to go on as he couldn't run anymore I then past the rest of the fellas before I got to the end they were all gassed happy to help in any way if I can

Thank you a lot of people online have said don't get drawn into races and stay below your normal pace because that last 6/8 miles are hell on earth if you've gone too quick to that point x"

Yeah I no a few people this happened to they hit the wall as they say don't compare yourself to anyone else use are doing this against yourself no one else, it's a great achievement when you finish make sure to stretch before an after to

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"I did it but I'm really slow so might not be the best at advice. But I did it lol

We aren't going to be smashing any land speed records either and congratulations it doesn't matter how quick you do it the aim is to finish x"

Find a decent marathon training plan and stick to it as best you can. If you're running 3 times a week including your long runs you'll be able to run it all. Fuel properly. You need to be taking on 80g of carbs an hour if you don't want to bonk at 18 - 20 miles. Find a gel or food source that works for you and stick to your plan with it. This needs as much practice as the running coz after 3 hours of forcing a gel down every 15 mins you will dread the things and want to stop but you've got to keep it up.

I've not run the London marathon so this is just generic marathon advice.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mr

By *inballs99Man
over a year ago

Blackheath

I live in Greenwich right at the start we see the runners every year at the start then we walk down to cutty sark and so many are already struggling because maybe they started to quick embrace all the support from onlookers and relax try not to watch out for miles because it seems so far after just 6 so stay strong and enjoy GOOD LUCK !

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Also just enjoy it. London isn't about times it's about finish lines. I totally missed cutty Sark and didn't realise I was on tower bridge until I was half way across.

The crowds are amazing!

Get something with your name on. You cannot believe how much some stranger clapping and telly your name will cheer you up!

Wear your best etc in training runs so you know it won't chaff you etc.

Ding try anything new on race day! Practice with gels etc in training.

Watch out round the water points as lots of bottles in the road can be a hazard.

Smile and enjoy it xx

over a year ago

"We were wondering if anyone else on here is training for this years London Marathon?

It's our first ever marathon and wanted to gain some advice from anyone that has already done it? "

We have both ran it and others but London is a brilliant marathon to do!

The atmosphere is incredible and will carry you when you think your legs can’t continue.

In addition to what other posters have given you I’d add these gems…..

Put your names on your tops. It’s amazing how much hearing someone shouting your name will spur you on just when you need it. At mile 20 I was sore and emotional and I heard a random guy shout my name with so much enthusiasm it really gave me the boost I needed at that moment.

Get a cheap hoody from a charity shop for hanging around in the start pens. You can then ditch it once you set off and it’ll be collected by other charities.

It probably goes without saying but don’t add anything new to your kit on the day that you haven’t trained in or with.

See a camera….SMILE these will be your finisher photos to cherish.

But most of all…… enjoy it

Good luck OP!!

Seiko x

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

Not running it, but am volunteering as a cheerleader for BHF.

So sorry, can't give you any training tips, but will give you a huge cheer as you pass by

over a year ago

Swansea

"Also just enjoy it. London isn't about times it's about finish lines. I totally missed cutty Sark and didn't realise I was on tower bridge until I was half way across.

The crowds are amazing!

Get something with your name on. You cannot believe how much some stranger clapping and telly your name will cheer you up!

Wear your best etc in training runs so you know it won't chaff you etc.

Ding try anything new on race day! Practice with gels etc in training.

Watch out round the water points as lots of bottles in the road can be a hazard.

Smile and enjoy it xx "

Ha, my first Snowdon marathon I was convinced that I was being stalked by some woman called Dianne everyone was shouting Dianne and then my name. It wasn't until I got to mile 18 that I really started to question this (I'd been running alone past several groups shouting it). Turns out they were all shouting Da iawn the Welsh for very good

Absolutely agree, in the early stages encouragement from spectators makes you smile. By the last few miles it can well be all that keeps you running.

Mr

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

"Thank you it's a completely new experience for us so any advice is handy."

Not sure how experienced you are in running so some of this you might already know.

First tip I would give is to get a training plan if you don’t one have already. Google London marathon training plans and you will see they have 3 different ones for beginners, intermediate and advanced. It’s important to choose a plan that will get you to the start line fit and healthy so best to pick a plan that aligns with you’re running experience. If you are newish to running probably best to pick the beginners plan. This plan should do its best to avoid pushing you too hard too quickly and should be a gradual rise in difficulty as the weeks go by.

Second tip is take a look on the London marathon Facebook page. Now the training has started for it they do every so often (maybe once a month) a Facebook Q&A where a coach will go through various tips and also answers questions.

If you are going to change you’re running shoes before the marathon, give yourself enough time to get used to them before race day. So don’t buy them a week out from the marathon because you really need to be running you’re very long runs in them in training to get used to them.

General advice I would give is to try and get enough sleep during training and try and eat some sort of protein within 30 minutes of you’re long run finishing. If you can afford it I found having a good sports massage helpful particularly in the later stages of training.

As you will be training during the later part of the summer I would be aware of the need to hydrate more especially during long runs. But make sure you don’t drink too much water in a short space of time if it gets really hot as you risk flushing all the electrolytes and salts out of you’re system. I use High 5 electrolytes tablets and add them to water. I believe London marathon use lucozade sports drink on the course as well as water so you might want to practice drinking that if you plan to use it during the race.

Most people have to use some sort of gels when they run a marathon so if you are planning to use them, it’s worth buying some early in you’re training to see which ones you get on with. I tried about 3 different ones until I found that agrees with me.

For the marathon itself my biggest tip is however fit you feel at the start line after all the training, is try and go off slower in the first 10k than you want to. I’ve know so many marathon runners who have blown up at mile 20 because they went off too quick at the start because it felt (relatively) easy after all the training they have done.

Good luck

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

Don’t forget Vaseline on your nipples, I’m not joking. This applies to both sexes.

over a year ago

Swansea

"Don’t forget Vaseline on your nipples, I’m not joking. This applies to both sexes. "

Better still climbers finger tape. It'll give you a wax when you take it off but for me anything over 10 miles in most tee shirts I'll be bleeding.

Mr

By *ElectricityMan
over a year ago

Preston

I've run London 7 times all sub 3 hours, if you'd like any advice on training and tips drop me a message.

By *ikesEmBigMan
over a year ago

Herts

"It's quicker by car

Not in London it isn't.

26 miles in London can take all day driving."

Haha

By *he normal oneMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I did London last year as a marathon virgin, I learnt so much on lead up to the day and also during the event that I’d be happy to pass onto you if you message me.

over a year ago

We have been laying in bed this evening reading all of the messages and thank you.

There is so many helpful tips and hints that we will use now.

We are both so excited to raise some money for an amazing charity and achieve something that is on both of our bucket lists xx

By *james994Man
over a year ago

london

Good luck with the training - only one piece of advice (apart from enjoy every step), and that’s to remember to cut your toe-nails the night before!! :0)

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

I’m retired from marathons now, I’ve never done London but have run others and a couple of ultras too, happy to offer advice if needed.

over a year ago

Did it last year and was best experience, all I can say is don't rush with the pack when running take your time and enjoy it all , you can do this and walking is a must, don't drink to much before the race as will be peeing like a horse before you start and massive ques for the toilets.. are you doing it for charity or just for you

over a year ago

Thank you again for all the advice it has genuinely helped us.

We are both running for a children's charity and have just started our fundraising.

over a year ago

Smash it

over a year ago

I have done London four times, happy to share any advice.

My tips: Buy some BodyGlide and apply it liberally to nipples, undercarriage and anywhere that will chafe. Bleeding nipples are a common sight at the finishing line that you don't want to experience.

Wear sunscreen. Even if the weather starts off bad it can change unexpectedly over a long time.

Pack paracetamol. My knee blew out one year. Without the drugs I would have been catching the tube of shame home from Canary Wharf.

Don't queue for the toilets at the start. Wait until everyone heads to their starting pen and you will have your pick of the loos. It takes about 30 minutes to get the start line from the last pen so you have plenty of time.

I also found the London Marathon official forums a great source of inspiration, if they still exist.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

" For the marathon itself my biggest tip is however fit you feel at the start line after all the training, is try and go off slower in the first 10k than you want to. I’ve know so many marathon runners who have blown up at mile 20 because they went off too quick at the start because it felt (relatively) easy after all the training they have done.

"

This

If your training has gone well the first 10km in particular will feel incredibly easy, stick to the plan and run at your target pace and dont get carried away.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

If you are relatively new to running consider entering the Big Half in London in September as its probably the biggest event with entries open. It's about half the size of London but will give you a feel for a big event with baggage drops start pens and running in a huge mass of people

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

If people are coming to watch send them down to docklands and canary wharf. You'll appreciate them most around there as it is a quoter part of the course and there is a natural physical lull at that point as you are half way in. The crowds along embankment are huge so you likely won't spot any friends and the atmosphere is intense so you don't need the lift so much

over a year ago

I've been fortunate to have done this twice my advice is to enjoy the moment and stay hydrated it will be a memory you will never forget dig deep you got this

By *athfellaMan
over a year ago

Bath

Never run London but I’ve run Berlin a few times plus others.

I would say just enjoy it as best you can on the day.

Don’t try anything new on the day! And I mean anything - water, gels, clothes - stick to what you have done in training!

Amount of people you see in brand new trainers who have to stop before half way point!

There is a great brand of nipple plasters called Nipease (Amazon sell em they are great!)

Have a training plan and stick to it, but don’t beat yourself up if you miss a run. Also I find some training plans have you running 5/6 times per week which I find to much. I stick to a long run on a Sunday, medium run on Wednesday and short runs on Tuesday and Thursday. Build gradually but you want to do your longest training run (no more than 35km) three weeks before then taper down! I’m all about the taper!

Also on the day / weekend don’t be intimidated by running nuts who insist on wearing their kit everywhere and running all over the place. Conserve your energy and carb load! Pizza / pasta, jelly sweets and porridge!

London in October should be great weather - April can be very hot!

And don’t forget.. you have paid to do this and you could be at work, so have fun!

Post new Message to Thread