FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If you could speak another language, what would it be and why?

Jump to newest

By *osephSamuel90 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bracknell

For me it would definitely be Spanish. So many people speak it worldwide. I'm 4 days off getting a year long streak on duolingo (shit flex I know) and am doing a TEFL course in Costa Rica in September for 4 weeks and hope to massively improve my conversational Spanish then. What would you chose and why? Or do you already speak another language or other languages?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

First language Welsh

By *ocksareoffMan
over a year ago

Out n About

Japanese. Very hard to master, the scenery of the country. The peoples culture and their work ethics are mind-boggling. I'd love to exore it.

over a year ago

Bracknell

"First language Welsh "

Nice. Can you pronounce this place? Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

over a year ago

Any of them, it’s just my brain can’t do languages

over a year ago

Woman-ese. You know, to really understand what they mean.

Now THAT’S got to be the most difficult language to master.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I already speak Spanish but have never had the good fortune to go beyond the mainland (other than one trip to Mallorca) so central/southern America is a dream for me. Hope you enjoy the "pura vida" out in Costa Rica!

By *awpleasureMan
over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

Yes Spanish for me too. I try to say a few words when I visit Alicante to meet family. Would love to learn more.

over a year ago

Bracknell

"I already speak Spanish but have never had the good fortune to go beyond the mainland (other than one trip to Mallorca) so central/southern America is a dream for me. Hope you enjoy the "pura vida" out in Costa Rica!"

That's cool. How long did it take you to learn? Or do you have Spanish parents/parent? Thanks, really looking forward to it

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I already speak Spanish but have never had the good fortune to go beyond the mainland (other than one trip to Mallorca) so central/southern America is a dream for me. Hope you enjoy the "pura vida" out in Costa Rica!

That's cool. How long did it take you to learn? Or do you have Spanish parents/parent? Thanks, really looking forward to it"

School, through university and then lived there a few years. Only took about 12 years

By *tM-TomMan
over a year ago

London

Definitely Spanish.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I already speak Spanish (heading there soon for a language/culture course, just for fun). We're both learning Dutch slowly (would like more opportunity to practice). I speak rudimentary German too. I enjoy learning languages, so any language that might prove itself useful would be good.

over a year ago

Bracknell

"I already speak Spanish but have never had the good fortune to go beyond the mainland (other than one trip to Mallorca) so central/southern America is a dream for me. Hope you enjoy the "pura vida" out in Costa Rica!

That's cool. How long did it take you to learn? Or do you have Spanish parents/parent? Thanks, really looking forward to it

School, through university and then lived there a few years. Only took about 12 years "

That's cool. Whereabouts did you live? I'm alright with it written down, but they speak so fast

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Latin

over a year ago

Bracknell

"I already speak Spanish (heading there soon for a language/culture course, just for fun). We're both learning Dutch slowly (would like more opportunity to practice). I speak rudimentary German too. I enjoy learning languages, so any language that might prove itself useful would be good."

Thats cool. How did you learn and how long did it take? I've heard German is easier for English speakers to pick up then French and Spanish because a lot of our words are the same or are just our words but pushed together into longer ones. Not sure how true that is though

By *iscreet-fun98Man
over a year ago

Hwest sometimes wrexham

I’d love to learn to speak Welsh because it’s the language of my home country but it’s a hard one to learn

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Latin"

And german

over a year ago

Bracknell

"Japanese. Very hard to master, the scenery of the country. The peoples culture and their work ethics are mind-boggling. I'd love to exore it. "

Yeh that would be cool but like you say hard to master. Completely different alphabet and they have over 100 characters and symbols I think. Definitely want to visit it at some point though

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

My second language is Chinese. I’d like to learn Arabic.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

School, through university and then lived there a few years. Only took about 12 years

That's cool. Whereabouts did you live? I'm alright with it written down, but they speak so fast"

Few different places but mainly Andalucia (not the Costa del Sol) - now down there, they speak fast!

over a year ago

I’m semi-fluent in French (kinda…well actually not probably lol) and I’m also currently learning Latin

over a year ago

Bracknell

"My second language is Chinese. I’d like to learn Arabic."

That's a pretty good second language to have. Can you write in Chinese as well?

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"My second language is Chinese. I’d like to learn Arabic.

That's a pretty good second language to have. Can you write in Chinese as well?"

Yes, my degree is in Mandarin.

over a year ago

Bracknell

"My second language is Chinese. I’d like to learn Arabic.

That's a pretty good second language to have. Can you write in Chinese as well?

Yes, my degree is in Mandarin."

Damn. That's impressive

over a year ago

North West

"I already speak Spanish (heading there soon for a language/culture course, just for fun). We're both learning Dutch slowly (would like more opportunity to practice). I speak rudimentary German too. I enjoy learning languages, so any language that might prove itself useful would be good.

Thats cool. How did you learn and how long did it take? I've heard German is easier for English speakers to pick up then French and Spanish because a lot of our words are the same or are just our words but pushed together into longer ones. Not sure how true that is though"

Spanish - started to learn at senior school, parents bought a holiday place in an area where few locals spoke good English so from age 13/14, I was family translator and interpreter. I continued to study Spanish at uni alongside my actual degree and have kept myself active in the Spanish/Latin American community around where we live.

Dutch - I find relatively easy having learned German and as an English native speaker.

I personally think Spanish is easier than German, especially the grammar, but I think my perception of easy is skewed. I do find languages easy to learn in general and have been told (by Mr KC) that me saying something is easy isn't applicable to all!

By *iss_Juicy79Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Italian it's a sexy language

over a year ago

"For me it would definitely be Spanish. So many people speak it worldwide. I'm 4 days off getting a year long streak on duolingo (shit flex I know) and am doing a TEFL course in Costa Rica in September for 4 weeks and hope to massively improve my conversational Spanish then. What would you chose and why? Or do you already speak another language or other languages?"

Costa Rica is beautiful but a friendly advice, look after yourself as can be a dangerous place too (go out in groups).

I used to speak French but lost it as did not used it, still speak 3 languages. English is not my mother language. Would like to start again with Spanish and Italian (kinda speak a very broken one, both of them) and Japanese (a culture that always attracted me).

Enjoy your trip and share your experience with us

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

Welsh because I live in Wales and it would be apt, even though most people in Cardiff don't speak it.

A refresher of Spanish and French so my years in school don't feel like wasted time

Swedish because my knowledge of Danish should make it fairly easy to pick it up and I could impress my colleagues. Same with Italian, it would help in work.

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

"For me it would definitely be Spanish. So many people speak it worldwide. I'm 4 days off getting a year long streak on duolingo (shit flex I know) and am doing a TEFL course in Costa Rica in September for 4 weeks and hope to massively improve my conversational Spanish then. What would you chose and why? Or do you already speak another language or other languages?"

¡Hola!

Spanish is my first language and I have been a qualified TEFL teacher for 25 years. I also used to teach Spanish, but teaching English is sooo much easier! Spanish is really difficult to master, so good on you for persevering!

I speak intermediate French but not really fluent. If I could speak another lamguafe I’d like it to be Mandarin or Arabic.

over a year ago

I can speak a little German but I’d love to be able to use British sign language

over a year ago

"Latin"

Virtually dead language surely

over a year ago

Would like to learn a second language

Probably Greek if I had chance

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

I already speak Greek as I am Greek Cypriot born and raised in London.Right now I would like to speak Bulgarian or Turkish as so many of the people I deal with are from those countries and I have to do 3 way calls with language line in order to be able to do my job effectively.

over a year ago

Bracknell

"For me it would definitely be Spanish. So many people speak it worldwide. I'm 4 days off getting a year long streak on duolingo (shit flex I know) and am doing a TEFL course in Costa Rica in September for 4 weeks and hope to massively improve my conversational Spanish then. What would you chose and why? Or do you already speak another language or other languages?

¡Hola!

Spanish is my first language and I have been a qualified TEFL teacher for 25 years. I also used to teach Spanish, but teaching English is sooo much easier! Spanish is really difficult to master, so good on you for persevering!

I speak intermediate French but not really fluent. If I could speak another lamguafe I’d like it to be Mandarin or Arabic. "

If you spoke Manadarin as well as Spanish and English you'd have the 3 most spoken languages worldwide sewn up which would be pretty cool

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

French for retirement purposes

over a year ago

"Latin

Virtually dead language surely "

Unfortunately pretty much which is why it’s so hard to learn Latin as there’s very little Latin speakers however it can help learning other languages especially Latin’s daughter languages such as French and it can help if you work in career’s like history, archaeology, science (for scientific names) etc

over a year ago

Bracknell

"I already speak Greek as I am Greek Cypriot born and raised in London.Right now I would like to speak Bulgarian or Turkish as so many of the people I deal with are from those countries and I have to do 3 way calls with language line in order to be able to do my job effectively."

That's cool. My dad's from Burnt Oak in London and went to school with a lot of Greeks and Cypriot and always get a really nice Greek kebab when I go to Arsenal games

over a year ago

North West

"Latin

Unfortunately pretty much which is why it’s so hard to learn Latin as there’s very little Latin speakers however it can help learning other languages especially Latin’s daughter languages such as French and it can help if you work in career’s like history, archaeology, science (for scientific names) etc "

Science is a lot of Greek too. Greek and Latin, but also lots of other languages. Arabic, especially in Maths. Learning Latin isn't a pre requisite to learning extant languages.

over a year ago

"Latin

Unfortunately pretty much which is why it’s so hard to learn Latin as there’s very little Latin speakers however it can help learning other languages especially Latin’s daughter languages such as French and it can help if you work in career’s like history, archaeology, science (for scientific names) etc

Science is a lot of Greek too. Greek and Latin, but also lots of other languages. Arabic, especially in Maths. Learning Latin isn't a pre requisite to learning extant languages. "

That’s true; I’m learning Latin at the same time as learning French so that’s probably where I think it’s easier at least it is for me then again I couldn’t tell you anything I’ve actually learned in Latin

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I already speak Spanish (heading there soon for a language/culture course, just for fun). We're both learning Dutch slowly (would like more opportunity to practice). I speak rudimentary German too. I enjoy learning languages, so any language that might prove itself useful would be good.

Thats cool. How did you learn and how long did it take? I've heard German is easier for English speakers to pick up then French and Spanish because a lot of our words are the same or are just our words but pushed together into longer ones. Not sure how true that is though

Spanish - started to learn at senior school, parents bought a holiday place in an area where few locals spoke good English so from age 13/14, I was family translator and interpreter. I continued to study Spanish at uni alongside my actual degree and have kept myself active in the Spanish/Latin American community around where we live.

Dutch - I find relatively easy having learned German and as an English native speaker.

I personally think Spanish is easier than German, especially the grammar, but I think my perception of easy is skewed. I do find languages easy to learn in general and have been told (by Mr KC) that me saying something is easy isn't applicable to all!"

I can relate to this - language learning is very intuitive for me and my brain makes connections across languages very easily. Obviously, everyone's brains are wired up differently and I know some people really struggle to get their heads round a new language.

So, in terms of how long it takes to learn, your own aptitude is a crucial factor. As it is with may things e.g. driving a car etc.

over a year ago

North West

" Dutch - I find relatively easy having learned German and as an English native speaker.

I personally think Spanish is easier than German, especially the grammar, but I think my perception of easy is skewed. I do find languages easy to learn in general and have been told (by Mr KC) that me saying something is easy isn't applicable to all!

I can relate to this - language learning is very intuitive for me and my brain makes connections across languages very easily. Obviously, everyone's brains are wired up differently and I know some people really struggle to get their heads round a new language.

So, in terms of how long it takes to learn, your own aptitude is a crucial factor. As it is with may things e.g. driving a car etc."

Hurrah, a fellow picker-upper of languages. I too find it easy to link languages and make connections with similarities across languages. For example, some Spanish words influenced Dutch (with the historic connection between the two, it's not unexpected) and this helped me to recognise and learn them.

over a year ago

Manx - another dead language, but my grandmother was from the Isle of Man.

I did Latin at school, along with French and German. I know a little Welsh since living here.

over a year ago

Arabic

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

I would like to learn Welsh, we want to move to North Wales one day and while Weksh is pretty rare around hear it is very common up there.

Mr

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

Italian. My mother was Italian and although I could speak it (so I’ve been told) up to age 5, my (step)dad told my mum not to do encourage me or I’d struggle at school!! Oh how times have changed.

By *ickdasterdly51Man
over a year ago

Lingfield

Probably French but I do love the Italian language

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Apart from a load of programming languages which I already have, I would quite like to learn Mandarin.

I work for a Chinese owned company. I might be visiting China in the not too distant future.

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

I'd love to learn Welsh as it's in my ancestry. I'd love to improve my knowledge of BSL too .

over a year ago

Italian, im a bit of an Italy philemon. I just love the culture, food, craziness of the place. I'd move there in an instant

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Gaelic. Irish and Scottish variations. Not many English people speak them so I think it would be handy.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Fluent gaeilge I can speak a bit but I'd love to be fluent.

Also klingon.

over a year ago

Irish... Have a friend who often inadvertently drops it into everyday convo... It's very cool that it's very 'near, yet very far as another language'

over a year ago

Klingon.

Qu'vam choraQlaH'a'?

over a year ago

Chinese.

Why?

There's about 1.4 billion of them so we'd get our moneys worth.

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

So learn it then ? Easy as fuck to learn Spanish what's stopping you mate

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Can speak Romanian if there's any Romanian girls on here .. highly doubt that

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Welsh, I've lived her all my life and I'm ashamed to say I can't speak a word of it.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Latin

Science is a lot of Greek too. Greek and Latin, but also lots of other languages. Arabic, especially in Maths. Learning Latin isn't a pre requisite to learning extant languages. "

Learning most languages: yes, no, where's the toilet

Learning Latin: you don't need the words yes and no. Here are the 100 most common words for murder or violent death, you'll need them

(Learning ancient Greek: it's participle time )

over a year ago

I’d like to speak Italian, because I would like to live there one day.

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

I'd like to be fluent in Arabic as I can only do the basics for day to day life.

Fluent in German + French

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

I’ve got my first 7 day streak on Duolingo learning Brazilian Portuguese. That’s what I’m most excited to learn. Once I’ve grasped the basics I’ll learn Japanese

over a year ago

"I’d like to speak Italian, because I would like to live there one day. "

I can teach you (but I have to charge ) *dingggg*

Sorry I had to quote the Milkshake song by Kelis

I’d love to speak fluent French and Japanese

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Dog

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Italian - for retirement purposes

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

900 day streak on duolingo learning Spanish here , I enjoy it. It's a fun app and learning is interesting.

But as my minds a sieve, almost as much is lost as gained. So , I can now order a beer and a table for two lol.

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

I'd love to pick French up again. I was pretty much fluent in both written and spoken French when I left school but 30 odd years of not using it means I'm rusty to say the least!

By *annaPlayABCCouple
over a year ago

Bacup

Martian speak..cause one day they will prove life outside of what we know now will rock us..we need to be prepared

over a year ago

Bracknell

"900 day streak on duolingo learning Spanish here , I enjoy it. It's a fun app and learning is interesting.

But as my minds a sieve, almost as much is lost as gained. So , I can now order a beer and a table for two lol."

Shit that's put me to shame. You might wanna learn Polish if you live in Wallsall (I'm here all week)

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Dutch so I can go cycle away into the sunset

By *ylonattireTV/TS
over a year ago

Bury

Italian

So sexy

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

"900 day streak on duolingo learning Spanish here , I enjoy it. It's a fun app and learning is interesting.

But as my minds a sieve, almost as much is lost as gained. So , I can now order a beer and a table for two lol.

Shit that's put me to shame. You might wanna learn Polish if you live in Wallsall (I'm here all week)"

If you're here all week you'll have time to spell Walsall correctly ( here all week )

And the Polish can learn English , they're decent hard working people in my experience.

By *heDeliveryManMan
over a year ago

Leicester

Female.... I swear they speak a whole language that I don't understand!

over a year ago

Bracknell

Shit that's put me to shame. You might wanna learn Polish if you live in Wallsall (I'm here all week)

If you're here all week you'll have time to spell Walsall correctly ( here all week )

And the Polish can learn English , they're decent hard working people in my experience. "

It's a joke on the capital of Poland also being Warsaw. Not a comment on immigration numbers

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"Woman-ese. You know, to really understand what they mean.

Now THAT’S got to be the most difficult language to master. "

Easy peasy - though try teaching a hormonal teenager

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

"Female.... I swear they speak a whole language that I don't understand! "

It's generally the opposite of what they say.

Him..Are you okay love ?

Her..yes. = no

Him..have I said or done something to upset you love ?

Her.. no=yes you bloody have.

Him..well love , I'm glad we cleared the air after that argument. It's nice we're okay now isn't it.

Her..yes love = you're in for it. I'll make you pay somehow.

over a year ago

BSL because I want to

By *rofessor ElementalMan
over a year ago

Durham

Esperanto

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"Female.... I swear they speak a whole language that I don't understand!

Him..Are you okay love ?

Her..yes. = no

Him..well love , I'm glad we cleared the air after that argument. It's nice we're okay now isn't it.

Her..yes love = you're in for it. I'll make you pay somehow. "

No sex for you tonight

over a year ago

I orta lern t spek inglish

(only kidding)

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

Turkish

By *r BobMan
over a year ago

Banffshire

I’d love to read, as well as speak Scottish Gaelic, I’m aware that there’s a bit of a resurgence in learning it, but it’s not easy - understatement! Apart from that I have a smattering of German and French.

By *hinstrapMan
over a year ago

Barnsley

Defo Japanese

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

"BSL because I want to "

Me too. I have a friend who uses it and it would be useful in noisy situations.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"My second language is Chinese. I’d like to learn Arabic."

Ni hui shuo zhongwen ma?

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

Him..Are you okay love ?

Her..yes. = no

No sex for you tonight "

I can handle a night. Its the week ban that hurts.

over a year ago

"BSL because I want to

Me too. I have a friend who uses it and it would be useful in noisy situations. "

Once I’m through learning what I’m currently learning I have a course lined up

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Him..Are you okay love ?

Her..yes. = no

Her..yes love = you're in for it. I'll make you pay somehow. "

What does "fine" mean? Is it ever said without an underlying sense of sarcasm?

By *ldbutrandyMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

Him..Are you okay love ?

Her..yes. = no

What does "fine" mean? Is it ever said without an underlying sense of sarcasm?"

Not really ,I think the word is fine by me.

over a year ago

I've know English and Welsh, though I rarely use Welsh here in England, it surprising how many people do speak it around here though... I've probably forgotten most of it by now.

I would be interested to learn almost any language but I just don't have the patience for it. Because my school forced me to learn French (I definitely can not speak French, even then) I've been put off learning languages. I wanted to learn German and Spanish was not an option in my school.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/07/22 12:06:19]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/07/22 12:06:15]

over a year ago

"Esperanto "

It’s quicker than you might think. I learned it in my youth, only took a couple months to become relatively proficient. Not overly useful though

over a year ago

Finnish or German

By *arex2Couple
over a year ago

Bradford

Moomin.

Post new Message to Thread