Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Have you missed

Jump to newest

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

a dish that you have not had for very long time. I was looking for inspiration and realised it has been years and years since I had any beef olives

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Stovies. For non Scottish viewers, that's cut up sausages, onion and potatoes, cooked into a stew like dish

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Blueberry pie and custard

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It’s not that often I have toad in the hole now. Just doesn’t taste like my gran used to make it

By *irthandgirthMan
over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Good sushi..

Genuine Thai street food.

Mexican fish tacos.

By *icole 123Woman
over a year ago

Baildon,West Yorkshire

Chicken Supreme!!

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

My mum wasn’t a great cook growing up - but she’d make the most amazing blackberry crumble with the berries that my brother and I picked in the wild. It took us hours and a lot of scratches - but damn it was worth it!

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

2 that my Italian mum used to make. Rustica Pizza, or Easter Pie and a type of Spaghettini omelette that I adored. I’m a shit cook so ain’t getting any anytime soon

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

2 that my Italian mum used to make. Rustica Pizza, or Easter Pie and a type of Spaghetti omelette that I adored. I’m a shit cook so ain’t getting any anytime soon

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

Stir fried Beef Kai Lan. Had it once, possibly the most awesome thing I have tasted.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"It’s not that often I have toad in the hole now. Just doesn’t taste like my gran used to make it "

She probably put something in it like ale for the batter, or used a particular sausage. Even changing from Bisto to Maggi gravy (the one used in commercial kitchens) can make a huuuge difference.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"2 that my Italian mum used to make. Rustica Pizza, or Easter Pie and a type of Spaghettini omelette that I adored. I’m a shit cook so ain’t getting any anytime soon"

No point asking anyone else as italian dishes can vary from house to house, let alone twons and regions.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"a dish that you have not had for very long time. I was looking for inspiration and realised it has been years and years since I had any beef olives "

I will miss them during the summer months. I'm too lazy to make them so ingetvthem from Morrisons and add some black pudding or a slice of haggis while they are cooking.

I'm missing a bit of meat on a barbeque.

over a year ago

"Stovies. For non Scottish viewers, that's cut up sausages, onion and potatoes, cooked into a stew like dish "

That sounds good

over a year ago

"a dish that you have not had for very long time. I was looking for inspiration and realised it has been years and years since I had any beef olives "

We used to have beef olives made by Proudfoot the butcher when we were kids. Proudfoots’ is gone now probably retired. They were the best butchers around. I’ve had them since but they were never the same, so haven’t had any since. Kinda killed he memory

over a year ago

Black Country faggots n peas

over a year ago

"Stovies. For non Scottish viewers, that's cut up sausages, onion and potatoes, cooked into a stew like dish

That sounds good "

Stovies made with mince, like mince and tatties, but with mashed tatties mixed in.. nae sausages!

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"a dish that you have not had for very long time. I was looking for inspiration and realised it has been years and years since I had any beef olives

We used to have beef olives made by Proudfoot the butcher when we were kids. Proudfoots’ is gone now probably retired. They were the best butchers around. I’ve had them since but they were never the same, so haven’t had any since. Kinda killed he memory "

I know what you mean.

By *eliusMan
over a year ago

Henlow

"2 that my Italian mum used to make. Rustica Pizza, or Easter Pie and a type of Spaghettini omelette that I adored. I’m a shit cook so ain’t getting any anytime soon

No point asking anyone else as italian dishes can vary from house to house, let alone twons and regions."

Yep! Her sister could never agree with her on recipes..

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Stovies. For non Scottish viewers, that's cut up sausages, onion and potatoes, cooked into a stew like dish

That sounds good

Stovies made with mince, like mince and tatties, but with mashed tatties mixed in.. nae sausages! "

You've not been in our canteen. Definitely sausages there

over a year ago

That sounds good

Stovies made with mince, like mince and tatties, but with mashed tatties mixed in.. nae sausages!

You've not been in our canteen. Definitely sausages there "

Definitely sounds vetter to me with sausages than mince

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Beef olives were my former wife's speciality when having another couple around for dinner.

Both very 1980s. Back then the dinner party was a ritual taken very seriously. You had to have the right dining furniture, the right cutlery and crockery, the right wine and above all a signature dish. Other than in my house, which has a dining table, most people I know give you a tray to eat off (if you are lucky).

Like you, I haven't had beef olives for ages.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"a dish that you have not had for very long time. I was looking for inspiration and realised it has been years and years since I had any beef olives

Beef olives were my former wife's speciality when having another couple around for dinner.

Both very 1980s. Back then the dinner party was a ritual taken very seriously. You had to have the right dining furniture, the right cutlery and crockery, the right wine and above all a signature dish. Other than in my house, which has a dining table, most people I know give you a tray to eat off (if you are lucky).

Like you, I haven't had beef olives for ages."

You are absolutely right about those dinners.

Post new Message to Thread