Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cervical Screening / Smear Test

Jump to newest

By *essie. OP   Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

Had mine done a few weeks ago and got my letter yesterday to say it was all clear. I did delay booking mine for a couple of months due to being concerned about going to my drs surgery in the pandemic. I had a student nurse, who did well as I know I have a tilted cervix.

Are you due yours?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *urora1912Woman
over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

Recently had mine.

Always make sure I have it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I had mine on Saturday my last one was 2013.... the nurse wasn’t impressed but said it looked ok...... I know we have to do it xxxx

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Had mine on time, as my surgery was still doing routine stuff like that and I felt safe going there.

We have a new nurse, the last one thankfully retired. She asked if I'd considered Holy water as a treatment for my epilepsy, because it worked for her son.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Think mine is due soon. I would never miss my smear test.

By *isAdventure69Woman
over a year ago

Hampshire

I did mine on time at the end of last year , cheerful nurse and all clear

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Had mine done in a double whammy with a colposcopy just under two weeks ago, just waiting to hear back on results

over a year ago

"Had mine done a few weeks ago and got my letter yesterday to say it was all clear. I did delay booking mine for a couple of months due to being concerned about going to my drs surgery in the pandemic. I had a student nurse, who did well as I know I have a tilted cervix.

Are you due yours?

"

Great to hear.

Had mine recently and came back clear

First one after having a cells removed so it was a relief

over a year ago

August 2020..Done and dusted. All clear.

over a year ago

due July this year Px

over a year ago

Had mine Thursday. I'm a little nervous as HPV was found a year ago.

over a year ago

I'm a couple of month over due, but it's booked in

over a year ago

"Had mine on time, as my surgery was still doing routine stuff like that and I felt safe going there.

We have a new nurse, the last one thankfully retired. She asked if I'd considered Holy water as a treatment for my epilepsy, because it worked for her son."

Like from a church?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Had mine about a just under a year ago. I'm on annual ones so I'm expecting a letter or call soon.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Mine was last November.

I always get mine done, after having cervical cancer I won't miss a smear test.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I’m very pro- smear as I lost a close friend to cervical cancer. So ladies, if you are due please book an appointment.

I had a letter last month inviting me to book one. 2 years after I had my cervix removed in a total hysterectomy. I found it quite upsetting and am annoyed that the services don’t pass on the info. It’s a total waste of money

J x

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Had mine last year and got my first ever all clear. They’re so important to keep on top of. I’ve lost 2 friends to cervical cancer at such a young age!

over a year ago

Got mine on 26th April

By *uliette500Woman
over a year ago

Hull

Trying to get booked in for mine but they never have free appointments when I am off work.

over a year ago

"Had mine on time, as my surgery was still doing routine stuff like that and I felt safe going there.

We have a new nurse, the last one thankfully retired. She asked if I'd considered Holy water as a treatment for my epilepsy, because it worked for her son."

when one of the old GPs at my surgery retired i was so pleased, i went in with recurring thrush and he tried to send me home to stick yoghurt on tampons

over a year ago

"I’m very pro- smear as I lost a close friend to cervical cancer. So ladies, if you are due please book an appointment.

I had a letter last month inviting me to book one. 2 years after I had my cervix removed in a total hysterectomy. I found it quite upsetting and am annoyed that the services don’t pass on the info. It’s a total waste of money

J x"

they do seem to be pretty bad at joining up the dots, ive been getting constant letters throughout lockdown telling me im now on final reminder that i am overdue, despite having one at a private gynaecologist just before lockdown because i was having so many issues, and i know they wrote to my gp because i got a copy of the letter when the results were sent

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"I’m very pro- smear as I lost a close friend to cervical cancer. So ladies, if you are due please book an appointment.

J x

they do seem to be pretty bad at joining up the dots, ive been getting constant letters throughout lockdown telling me im now on final reminder that i am overdue, despite having one at a private gynaecologist just before lockdown because i was having so many issues, and i know they wrote to my gp because i got a copy of the letter when the results were sent "

The letters are from NHS England not the GP. But GP has since I formed them & I’ve had a letter removing me from reminder list

over a year ago

I've just had mine this morning. Yes it's uncomfortable but so important. Get yours ladies

By *uliette500Woman
over a year ago

Hull

[Removed by poster at 19/04/21 12:17:17]

over a year ago

Tomorrow afternoon.

Always had it done.

Uncomfortable but not painful.

By *lueeyedblonde78Woman
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Well done ladies for getting it done. It's not the nicest thing to have done but definitely worth it.

I'm grateful I don't need to anymore but it's something I always recommend others get done and have already have conversations with my daughters about xx

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Tomorrow afternoon.

Always had it done.

Uncomfortable but not painful."

Actually my last 2 smears were painful and last time I bled. The nurse said I moved which I probably did cos it hurt. This has only been a problem since having the coil fitted and was wondering if any others have had the same issues with a coil in place..

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

"Tomorrow afternoon.

Always had it done.

Actually my last 2 smears were painful and last time I bled. The nurse said I moved which I probably did cos it hurt. This has only been a problem since having the coil fitted and was wondering if any others have had the same issues with a coil in place.."

I had a coil fitted before 25 so I have never had a smear pre coil to compare, but, I do find smear tests a bit painful. Not completely unbearable and definitely not enough to put me off going, but I definitely feel a pinch.

By *iercedlotsCouple
over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

"Tomorrow afternoon.

Always had it done.

Actually my last 2 smears were painful and last time I bled. The nurse said I moved which I probably did cos it hurt. This has only been a problem since having the coil fitted and was wondering if any others have had the same issues with a coil in place.."

I've had smear tests done before and after having a coil fitted and never noticed a difference in comfort levels xx

By *thena123Woman
over a year ago

Swansea

I'm due mine this year, not looking forward to it one bit but hey hoe it has to be done... A few minutes or discomfort means nothing for peace of mind.xxx

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Got mine boxed off end of March

over a year ago

Got my letter, just need to get booked in x

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

It seems so wrong but I actually find the sensation quite pleasant. I don't mind going for a smear a tall.

By *nsatiable Nymph 2024Woman
30 weeks ago

La La Land

Just booked mine in

Bumping this thread to remind ladies to book there's in if they haven't done so already x

By *elix SightedMan
30 weeks ago

Cloud 8

"Had mine done a few weeks ago and got my letter yesterday to say it was all clear. I did delay booking mine for a couple of months due to being concerned about going to my drs surgery in the pandemic. I had a student nurse, who did well as I know I have a tilted cervix.

Are you due yours?

"

I don’t think I’m due a tilted cervix. Do they only fit them to women?

I’d accept a student nurse if there’s one going spare.

By *CLM87Woman
30 weeks ago

Derbyshire

Had mine done last month.. never miss one as its so important

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
30 weeks ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Just had my reminder letter through

Tinder

By *rixie_BlondeWoman
30 weeks ago

London (She/Her)

"Just booked mine in

Bumping this thread to remind ladies to book there's in if they haven't done so already x"

I think it depends on the person who does it, there was one nurse who made it seriously painful so after the second painful smear I made a point of never booking with her again.

Generally it’s much better now they no longer use metal speculum, a cold one was breathtaking

By *ornycougaWoman
30 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

I ignored mine for years. Had a smear for the first time in 20 years last June. Last July whilst out of the country got a letter saying I had a normal cells and had a hospital appointment scheduled within days that I missed. Because of my nomadid lifestyle I am finally being seen this coming Monday - on a 2 week cancer pathway.

Hoping all is OK but preparing myself for bad news. Not looking for sympathy but the moral of this tale is don't be a twat like me and potentially compromise your health... Go and have your smears as soon as they are due.

By *hortarseWoman
30 weeks ago

Norfolk

"I ignored mine for years. Had a smear for the first time in 20 years last June. Last July whilst out of the country got a letter saying I had a normal cells and had a hospital appointment scheduled within days that I missed. Because of my nomadid lifestyle I am finally being seen this coming Monday - on a 2 week cancer pathway.

Hoping all is OK but preparing myself for bad news. Not looking for sympathy but the moral of this tale is don't be a twat like me and potentially compromise your health... Go and have your smears as soon as they are due. "

I'm going in hospital because abnormal cervical cells on Monday to. Good luck to you. I never miss my smear.

By *otKitty400Woman
30 weeks ago

hinckley

Please get it done when you’re due ladies. Thanks to the smear test mine was caught early and I got off relatively lightly.

By *elix SightedMan
30 weeks ago

Cloud 8

"I ignored mine for years. Had a smear for the first time in 20 years last June. Last July whilst out of the country got a letter saying I had a normal cells and had a hospital appointment scheduled within days that I missed. Because of my nomadid lifestyle I am finally being seen this coming Monday - on a 2 week cancer pathway.

Hoping all is OK but preparing myself for bad news. Not looking for sympathy but the moral of this tale is don't be a twat like me and potentially compromise your health... Go and have your smears as soon as they are due. "

I really hope everything turns out ok HC. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you x

By *ornycougaWoman
30 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Hoping all is OK but preparing myself for bad news. Not looking for sympathy but the moral of this tale is don't be a twat like me and potentially compromise your health... Go and have your smears as soon as they are due.

I'm going in hospital because abnormal cervical cells on Monday to. Good luck to you. I never miss my smear."

I realise my original post was riddled with typos as usual but you got the gist. Shortarse - hope all is OK on Monday. Will be keeping everything crossed for you x

By *ookie46Woman
30 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

I have mine yearly and my appointment is next Monday

By *ornycougaWoman
30 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

I really hope everything turns out ok HC. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you x"

Thanks my lovely x

By *ookie46Woman
30 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Hope all is ok HC x

By *ittleMizzNaughty88.Woman
30 weeks ago

Renfrewshire

Hope it all goes well. I've just had a cone biopsy 4 weeks ago.

Still waiting on the results but the look on the faces of radiographer & gynaecologist. I thinking the worst due to losing my that way.

Positive thoughts

By *f.I.Like.It.I.Do.ItCouple
30 weeks ago

Keighley

Thanks for the reminder, I got my letter last week. I’ll ring to book in tomorrow

By *midnight-Woman
30 weeks ago

I'm on a recall for Nov

By *ornycougaWoman
30 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Still waiting on the results but the look on the faces of radiographer & gynaecologist. I thinking the worst due to losing my that way.

Positive thoughts "

Thanks to you and Cookie for your good wishes. Keeping everything crossed for you and sending love to anyone dealing with uncertainty or bad news xx

30 weeks ago

Always get mine done even tho I feel trepidation leading up to and getting the all clear.

It’s definitely a very important procedure that all women of a certain age should have done.

By *otSoPoshWoman
30 weeks ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Positive thoughts

Thanks to you and Cookie for your good wishes. Keeping everything crossed for you and sending love to anyone dealing with uncertainty or bad news xx"

HC and LittleMizz... Good luck and fingers crossed for you both. I hope the universe is kind to you

By *inky_couple2020Couple
30 weeks ago

North West

I had mine in June last year. I've never missed one. I do find them uncomfortable and challenging due to anatomy etc but it's worth it (for me).

Sending all the very best to anyone going through difficult times

By *ed VoluptaWoman
30 weeks ago

Wirral.

That was me a few months ago, even though I have smears yearly. Thankfully, was all clear. Let's hope yours is too. X

By *uxom redCouple
25 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

Waiting on the results of my last one now

By *rimal InstinctCouple
25 weeks ago

Carlisle

I did mine in Nov, but I got a three in one: regular STI check up, smear and then I got my coil put in. I felt a bit sorry for myself on that day (shrugs)

By *ornycougaWoman
25 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Positive thoughts

Thanks to you and Cookie for your good wishes. Keeping everything crossed for you and sending love to anyone dealing with uncertainty or bad news xx

HC and LittleMizz... Good luck and fingers crossed for you both. I hope the universe is kind to you "

Thank you and to Red for your kind words on this thread. I got the all clear for cancer but this has been a massive wake up call. Don't ignore the letters and get tested ladies! X

25 weeks ago

Positive thoughts

HC and LittleMizz... Good luck and fingers crossed for you both. I hope the universe is kind to you

Thank you and to Red for your kind words on this thread. I got the all clear for cancer but this has been a massive wake up call. Don't ignore the letters and get tested ladies! X"

Yikes! What a scary experience! Glad all's okay!

By *uxom redCouple
25 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

Positive thoughts

Thank you and to Red for your kind words on this thread. I got the all clear for cancer but this has been a massive wake up call. Don't ignore the letters and get tested ladies! X"

so happy you have the all clear, it's such a relief x x

By *essTTWoman
25 weeks ago

Birmingham

I'm overdue

I had a horrible experience with my last one and it's really put ne off having another

By *naswingdressWoman
25 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Had mine recently. It was unpleasant, they always are, but in minor ways.

My first ever one they clamped my labia hard with metal clamps. Did not make me want to comply in future! (fortunately it was a one time thing)

By *ookie46Woman
25 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Wonderful news HC

I have had smears yearly now since 2019. Each time there are changes, biopsies taken and had Lletz procedures

Waiting for my results from my latest smear in March

By *uri00620Woman
25 weeks ago

Croydon

I don't mind them. Although once the nurse decided to warm the speculum up a little TOO much.

I had to be given cooling gel for burns.

By *ornycougaWoman
25 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

"Wonderful news HC

I have had smears yearly now since 2019. Each time there are changes, biopsies taken and had Lletz procedures

Waiting for my results from my latest smear in March "

Thanks my lovely. Keeping everything crossed for you x

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

I had all the fun last year with smear, abnormal results, colposcopy, abnormal results then lletz biopsy which removed it all thankfully and follow up colposcopy gave clear results from hpv 16 but my cervix has basically closed up due to scar tissue from the extensive biopsy they did to remove the dodgy bits.

Then smear and further tests in jan showed as abnormal again so had to have another colposcopy and now I’m on frequent smears until I don’t have abnormal cells showing for two smears or until further action is required.

Thankfully with the vaccine it will mean in years to come the younger generations won’t have to go through this mental torture as theoretically the virus will be eradicated.

Also I’m thankful that these procedures are available to us and actions are taken in a timely manner. If I hadn’t had the lletz procedure last year I would possibly be facing cancer treatment now.

Keep on keeping on and getting those cervix swabs done x

By *inky_couple2020Couple
25 weeks ago

North West

"I don't mind them. Although once the nurse decided to warm the speculum up a little TOO much.

I had to be given cooling gel for burns. "

Heck. That sounds deeply unpleasant

By *ngel-ishWoman
25 weeks ago

Colchester

Does a coloscopy hurt? Having one end of month

By *ealMissShadyWoman
25 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"Does a coloscopy hurt? Having one end of month "

No hon, shouldn't be anymore uncomfortable than a regular smear, might be a little stinging and pinching but honestly, it's over in seconds.

I had to have that then a Lletz after CIN3 cells were found.

Due my smear now, need to book it ASAP

By *ornycougaWoman
25 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

It's not pleasant. I had a biopsy at the same time. There was some discomfort but nothing lasting once I left the room. Please don't let the thought of it put you off... The implications of not attending an appointment could be so much worse

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

It’s similar to a smear in terms of procedure but they swab the cervix with a liquid to look at the cells and “area of transformation” it’s quick and should be pain free but you’ll perhaps feel pressure and a bit uncomfortable. For me the worst bit is trying to get comfy on the weird chair!

By *ookie46Woman
25 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Ive had five colposcopy’s now and they’re more uncomfortable than painful

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

"Does a coloscopy hurt? Having one end of month

It's not pleasant. I had a biopsy at the same time. There was some discomfort but nothing lasting once I left the room. Please don't let the thought of it put you off... The implications of not attending an appointment could be so much worse"

100% agree x

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

"Ive had five colposcopy’s now and they’re more uncomfortable than painful "

Agree and I feel like it’s being done by someone who pretty much only does that as their job so they are super skilled at it and it’s quick if that’s all they are doing. Takes more time to take shoes and lower half garments off!

By *ngel-ishWoman
25 weeks ago

Colchester

Thank you lovely women, i think you are all amazing for answering me.. I absolutely promise to go. I feel reassured.xxxx

25 weeks ago

I've got mine on Friday, a little earlier than expected but it has to be done. Everytime I've had one so far there's been a trainee so two people staring down my lady garden, just my luck

By *ookie46Woman
25 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

"I've got mine on Friday, a little earlier than expected but it has to be done. Everytime I've had one so far there's been a trainee so two people staring down my lady garden, just my luck "

They always tell me they need to use a bigger speculum

By *ealMissShadyWoman
25 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"Thank you lovely women, i think you are all amazing for answering me.. I absolutely promise to go. I feel reassured.xxxx"

Good luck lovely xx

By *ookie46Woman
25 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Just got my results and referred back for another colposcopy

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

"Just got my results and referred back for another colposcopy "

Sending positive thoughts. It’s a horrible position to be in x thinking of you x

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

"Just got my results and referred back for another colposcopy

Sending positive thoughts. It’s a horrible position to be in x thinking of you x"

FWIW _ookie46 the hospital staff were great with me and my return visit. I did have a little cry whilst I was there but they were very reassuring and helped me feel loads better and explained that basically the hpv hasn’t left my system yet (crap immune system) so they’ll keep a closer eye on me until it goes.

You probs know all of this already but hopefully knowing you’re not alone provides some level of comfort.

By *ookie46Woman
25 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Sending positive thoughts. It’s a horrible position to be in x thinking of you x

FWIW _ookie46 the hospital staff were great with me and my return visit. I did have a little cry whilst I was there but they were very reassuring and helped me feel loads better and explained that basically the hpv hasn’t left my system yet (crap immune system) so they’ll keep a closer eye on me until it goes.

You probs know all of this already but hopefully knowing you’re not alone provides some level of comfort. "

Thankyou this will be my sixth one. I’ve always had the same nurse luckily which helps, we are on first name terms now

I’m lucky that in my area the wait is not long for an appointment

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
25 weeks ago

Markfield

You probs know all of this already but hopefully knowing you’re not alone provides some level of comfort.

Thankyou this will be my sixth one. I’ve always had the same nurse luckily which helps, we are on first name terms now

I’m lucky that in my area the wait is not long for an appointment "

That’s good and hopefully you’ll find out soon when it is. We will all be sending out positive vibes and good thoughts!

By *ngel-ishWoman
25 weeks ago

Colchester

That sucks x sending hugs

Post new Message to Thread