Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How did we survive?

Jump to newest

By *riendlyfunfem OP   Woman
over a year ago

A world of my own

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, eggs, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in cots covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes we didn't have crash helmets.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread, real butter and fried bacon, and, we weren't overweight.. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, rulers, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of these people, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, show it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Lol, you just described my childhood. When we went to see my Auntie it was a treat for us to ride round the village in the boot of the car lol.

God did the wooden spoon hurt.

Thanks for that i really enjoyed itxxkarenx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

well said bring back my childhood(not the olden days as my daughter says)going to find my scissors now

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/10/09 17:53:08]

over a year ago

God did the wooden spoon hurt.

it sure did then,

but now, well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

"First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, eggs, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in cots covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes we didn't have crash helmets.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread, real butter and fried bacon, and, we weren't overweight.. WHY?

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, rulers, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, show it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

"

...and now we're all swingers! No lasting damage done after all that then! Hehe!

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

"First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

...and now we're all swingers! No lasting damage done after all that then! Hehe! "

well we see ourselves as normal and those who don't swing as something totally different lol, but what fun we had as kid's eh, try getting a teenager to play bulldog on the village green these days, or hide go seek, rounders or cricket, and the first thing they'll say is " where do you plug it in "

over a year ago

I do think its a shame that kids don't have a 'childhood' like we did. They grow up far too fast, don't get me wrong I'm all for technology and innovation, but when I think what I knew at 14 and what my 14 year old daughter knows now - its scarey !!!

By *riendlyfunfem OP   Woman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Couldn't agree more!

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

And teachers were allowed to aim the blackboard rubber at you if you were talking.

God, I could duck quicker than blink!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Thats a great OP

very nostalgic......I remember my neighbour putting mud "chocolates" in a chocolate box, telling me they were real and me eating them!!

Also dared a friend to drink vinegar to see if it would dry her blood out,which is what I had been told

over a year ago

Think in some ways, kids are wrapped in cotton wool and don't have to make judgement calls / take calculated risks like we did when we were kids............ Society has changed so instead of a child climbing somewhere they shouldn't and falling off and parents saying "oh dear, well you shouldn't have been there" it's more "who can we sue"!! or am I just getting cynical..........

I think it's this culture that means some kids are missing out..........

over a year ago

I remember the teenage lads getting my dad on a sledge that he had built for us in work and pushing him across the field as we were too small to do it. They where no trouble and no drugs about it those days.

The only trouble was a breaking of a window with a ball or in the case of one winter a snowball because the owner had dug out the road to the local school

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Don't forget we were able to have sports days with winners and losers and our parents could even take photographs of us too ....... how weired are both those concepts today?

Post new Message to Thread