Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Wales

what exactly is " a professional ? "

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

very often we're read profiles that state "we're professionals so we have to be discreet " does this mean they feel that people with normal everyday jobs don't need privacy or discretion ? I own and run a (small) company in the construction industry , not sure if that makes me a personal or not but privacy and discretion is absolutely top of our list of priorities , not having a dig at pro's or looking for a heated discussion , just interested in people's views

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

I think it's just one of those terms that has become accepted in discourse as a general "discretion due to profession" emphasis for the person/s.

It's probably not literal. A lot of very professional folk I know aren't very bloody professional at work.

By *ighugs69Man
over a year ago

Port Talbot

Used to mean a person with official qualifications required for a job like doctors and lawyers.

Then office managers started calling themselves professionals. Now it seems a free for all with anyone able to hold down a job calling themselves one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Surely it's anyone who has a profession and can carry out their duties in a competent manner.

A doctor that gets an erection every time he sees a patient is unprofessional.

By *ighugs69Man
over a year ago

Port Talbot

"Surely it's anyone who has a profession and can carry out their duties in a competent manner.

A doctor that gets an erection every time he sees a patient is unprofessional."

The erection would be a biological response, it would be unprofessional to try & put it in said patient.

over a year ago

"Surely it's anyone who has a profession and can carry out their duties in a competent manner.

The erection would be a biological response, it would be unprofessional to try & put it in said patient."

Wouldn't that be sexual assault or attempted r@pe?

By *ighugs69Man
over a year ago

Port Talbot

The erection would be a biological response, it would be unprofessional to try & put it in said patient.

Wouldn't that be sexual assault or attempted r@pe?"

Only if you haven't been given permission, it would still be unprofessional with full consent.

By *ounty SocialsCouple
over a year ago

CARMARTHEN & SWANSEA

The professional status is frequently posted on people's profiles and why not as if they fall into that criteria out of choice then why should they be challenged.

We have had the pleasure meeting members using this description for themselves and would after meeting them give a 100% support for their freedom of choice.

Usually they are 100% reliable.

By *ancardiff7Man
over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

Some careers would be placed in jeopardy by being on here.

By *edexcitementCouple
over a year ago

Blackwood

"Some careers would be placed in jeopardy by being on here. "

This for defo not in a high profession of doctors or lawyers ect but working in a job face to face with customers, that could potentially turn customers to not trust the professionalism of your job role as not everyone see’s swinging the same way and some people frown upon it and if they found out i (mrs) would more than likely be dismissed for it.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/12/19 17:05:32]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/12/19 17:06:45]

By *tsallaroundMan
over a year ago

merthyr

Some call themselfs consultants hmmmm no u work in a call centre

over a year ago

"The professional status is frequently posted on people's profiles and why not as if they fall into that criteria out of choice then why should they be challenged.

We have had the pleasure meeting members using this description for themselves and would after meeting them give a 100% support for their freedom of choice.

Usually they are 100% reliable."

I don't quite see that anybody is challenging people's rights or indeed their reliability , as you say it's every individual's right to deem themselves however they see fit , the point of my post was more towards why they feel the need to need to state that, quote" we need total discretion because we're professionals " we saw this on a profile earlier and this prompted our question . it's a bit like saying a doctor or nurse requires or deserves more discretion than hospital porter or cleaner ? surely anyone that needs or requests discretion should get it ?

By *udewhennudeMan
over a year ago

newport

"Some careers would be placed in jeopardy by being on here.

This for defo not in a high profession of doctors or lawyers ect but working in a job face to face with customers, that could potentially turn customers to not trust the professionalism of your job role as not everyone see’s swinging the same way and some people frown upon it and if they found out i (mrs) would more than likely be dismissed for it. "

I would say that doctors are definitely one group who’s job could be at risk if it was known that they were on here.

over a year ago

I've met a few professional sports men from here (i.e they play said sport as a full time job.) Apart from that it's a fairly meaningless term in Fab context

over a year ago

"Some careers would be placed in jeopardy by being on here.

This for defo not in a high profession of doctors or lawyers ect but working in a job face to face with customers, that could potentially turn customers to not trust the professionalism of your job role as not everyone see’s swinging the same way and some people frown upon it and if they found out i (mrs) would more than likely be dismissed for it. "

both very good points

Post new Message to Thread