Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Wales

DVLA rant

Jump to newest

By *elsh_lass74 OP   Woman
over a year ago

South Wales

So I go out to my car this afternoon, to find it clamped. I ring the number on the leaflet to be told my car isn't taxed and to call the DVLA. He's not at all bothered!

Go back in the house to find the number and after pressing 1, 2, 5 and 60001 I get to speak to a person.

He looks into it and lo and behold my car is taxed and they have made a mistake. I get put on hold while he gets hold of who ever clamped my car. I'm told won't be until tomorrow. WTF... It's their fault, they are in the wrong so why am I left without a useable car!?

So I'm left with an unhappy son who didn't make his TKD lesson, a hungry cat as left is no food left for her and me pretty pissed off. On top of that they cancelled my direct debit that I have to set up again in the 1st.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Get hold of someone who can give you a couple of taxi receipts and claim the cost back

They've taken your transport away so they are obliged to compensate

over a year ago

South Wales

"Get hold of someone who can give you a couple of taxi receipts and claim the cost back

They've taken your transport away so they are obliged to compensate "

Good idea, wish I knew someone

over a year ago

That's awful. I'd file a complaint

over a year ago

South Wales

Thing is, if they had knocked the door to say what they were doing I could have rang DVLA and sorted it. They now have to come back and take the clamp off. Wasting their time and fuel and they won't get any money from it

over a year ago

South Wales

"That's awful. I'd file a complaint "

I have done, thank you

DVLA like to make it difficult though. Took me ages to find that part of the website

over a year ago

I've got an angle grinder if it's any use lol

over a year ago

"So I go out to my car this afternoon, to find it clamped. I ring the number on the leaflet to be told my car isn't taxed and to call the DVLA. He's not at all bothered!

Go back in the house to find the number and after pressing 1, 2, 5 and 60001 I get to speak to a person.

He looks into it and lo and behold my car is taxed and they have made a mistake. I get put on hold while he gets hold of who ever clamped my car. I'm told won't be until tomorrow. WTF... It's their fault, they are in the wrong so why am I left without a useable car!?

So I'm left with an unhappy son who didn't make his TKD lesson, a hungry cat as left is no food left for her and me pretty pissed off. On top of that they cancelled my direct debit that I have to set up again in the 1st."

Bastards never heard of this happening.

By *STAXxMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Make sure they don't damage your wheel too

over a year ago

"So I go out to my car this afternoon, to find it clamped. I ring the number on the leaflet to be told my car isn't taxed and to call the DVLA. He's not at all bothered!

So I'm left with an unhappy son who didn't make his TKD lesson, a hungry cat as left is no food left for her and me pretty pissed off. On top of that they cancelled my direct debit that I have to set up again in the 1st."

I'd put the clamp over the guys head when he released my car lol

over a year ago

South Wales

So I'm left with an unhappy son who didn't make his TKD lesson, a hungry cat as left is no food left for her and me pretty pissed off. On top of that they cancelled my direct debit that I have to set up again in the 1st.

I'd put the clamp over the guys head when he released my car lol "

Don't even know when it was done!!! So I don't think I will know when it comes off! Especially as they won't get any money!

over a year ago

South Wales

"Make sure they don't damage your wheel too "

Stupid question, apart from tyre being flat, how would I know??

over a year ago

I'd put the clamp over the guys head when he released my car lol

Don't even know when it was done!!! So I don't think I will know when it comes off! Especially as they won't get any money!"

I'd be on watch lol

over a year ago

I just knew it would happen - as soon as they got rid of tax discs that prove we've paid, and relied on some ragged old computer that probably runs on Windows 3.3 - I said it would happen - I said it, I did...

Call the Police out on a complaint of illegal clamping - get a Case no. off them, and then pester the hell out of your MP...!!!

over a year ago

Perhaps the dude that comes to unclamp the car will be hot, and offer you a "personal" apology?

Every cloud

over a year ago

send them a bill love they cannot do that, they unlawfully clamped your car as it was properly taxed make them pay for your transport or lack of it while clamped and the distress it has caused you xx

over a year ago

I would cut it off and see what they say. Nowt they can do about it !!

By *inkyandperky555Couple
over a year ago

swansea

Hi I would cut it off as you don't owe them any money what if you need the car in an emergency the delay think they can do what they like taken some pics and get the local paper involved to take it all the way.

over a year ago

Just kick off I would start throwing shit go ape shit crazy.. proper mental like

By *ripleXrateDWoman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I don't know if this is any use to you but ages ago in glasgow cars were being clamped by a firm employed by the council.

Police became involved as a lot of mistakes were being made such as yours and it led to criminal charges.

I'd try calling the police and telling them you have been illegal clamped and see what they say.

over a year ago

cut the lock off the clamp and when the guy turns up clamp his van wiv a new lock

over a year ago

I wouldn't recommend cutting the lock as the bastards would possibly (probably) do you for criminal damage.

I'd DEFINITELY try to get hold of some taxi receipts and train tickets from the time while the clamp was on from somewhere though...is anyone on here able to help with that...? Get them to pay for your inconvenience.

By *ark CharmerMan
over a year ago

Horsham

Hope you take photographs and keep details of all your interaction with them. Good as you have filed a complaint and expect "damages" to be paid if not, feel free to make it public. I can just see the headlines

By *obbymareWoman
over a year ago

swansea

I work there. Write to the chief executive and tell him you want compensation for your inconvenience and their incompetence

and if a satisfactory reply isn't received within the next 10 days you intend to take it further. Send it recorded delivery as it shows you mean business.

Hope it helps xx

By *etsaroundMan
over a year ago

Valley's

DVLA are all over the shop. I'm in the motor trade, it cost me over a grand in solicitors fees for them to take me to court as they messed up. Even my solicitor told me It could cost me a lot to try and get my money back and not worth it. To top it off, a week after I had a similar case. Car on road not taxed- it was the same car! Luckily that one I had a letter apologising and it was all a mistake a week later.

Moral is, you can't argue with them, and saying sorry is only good enough for them, you have to pay the fine or put them right on the matter. Ether way you take the hit not them.

over a year ago

Dvla are a Nightmare i swear they lose v5's just to raise funds,

If you Ever send anything to them make sure you get evidence!

as to the online tax system it takes ages for them to make updates, (cars still showing as taxed upto two months after the sale then they realise & try claim back tax even though youve re taxed the car or declared sorn since your ownership) Always fun and trying to get through there automated phone system is an achievement in itself! (ive spent 20 mins before going round in circles trying to get through to an actual person before giving up)

Post new Message to Thread