FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Wales

Pay per mile. Serious implications here in North Wales.

Jump to newest

By *verageSausage OP   Man
2 weeks ago

Flintshire

So, here in North Wales, there are plentiful sheep and not so many women.

The government has not yet announced exactly how it will charge the new pay per mile scheme.

Will it only apply to main roads?

Will every driveway and layby have at least 2 ANPR cameras to detect your every movement?

How far could you potentially travel without triggering an ANPR?

Will you be required to have a device stuck to your windscreen? Much the same as an European Toll Tag? How would this work with modern cars which already have GPS inbuilt and enabled, versus old cars which have points, ignition and carburettors?

Asking for a friend.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *an1978Woman
2 weeks ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

Commenting to follow more than anything.

30 miles to nearest Aldi or Tesco,

And nearest hospital even further.

Things are a lot more stretched out here.

Luckily I don't do many commuting miles so have a bit in hand for driving for enjoyment.

By *ilthybisquirtwhoresCouple
2 weeks ago

caerphilly

Think of the surveillance implications when the bill drops through the door and you’ve been charged for going to the golf club rather than working late as you claimed to the missus etc etc etc

2 weeks ago

Flintshire

"Think of the surveillance implications when the bill drops through the door and you’ve been charged for going to the golf club rather than working late as you claimed to the missus etc etc etc "

But that is where it gets worse. I pressed enter key too soon and was going to add the following to the original post.

How will this affect those who like to drive around dogging locations.

Will an itemised journey statement be posted every month or so?

2 weeks ago

caerphilly

"Think of the surveillance implications when the bill drops through the door and you’ve been charged for going to the golf club rather than working late as you claimed to the missus etc etc etc

But that is where it gets worse. I pressed enter key too soon and was going to add the following to the original post.

How will this affect those who like to drive around dogging locations.

Will an itemised journey statement be posted every month or so? "

Indeed . The personal freedom implications are potentially horrific

By *mmaj69TV/TS
2 weeks ago

swansea

Not likely to post anything with the cost of postage. Soon to be £1.65 for first class stamp. This hole pay per mile idea is likely to fall flat on its arse as there is no inferstructure there to deal with it. Not only that the knock on costs would send inflation through the roof

2 weeks ago

caerphilly

"Not likely to post anything with the cost of postage. Soon to be £1.65 for first class stamp. This hole pay per mile idea is likely to fall flat on its arse as there is no inferstructure there to deal with it. Not only that the knock on costs would send inflation through the roof "

I pray you’re right !

By *rhugesMan
2 weeks ago

Cardiff

I think it's just a scare tactic so when they buy £0.10 on fuel duty people will be relieved and not complain

By *othy4BBCCouple
2 weeks ago

South Wales

I thought this would be something the Tories would do (cunts). We are ever headed to a Dystopian society, how much longer until we just tell the Government to fuck off?

I am disappointed the Welsh Government are on board (collaborators) as I would always hope they would resist anything like this from Westminster as a 'fuck you'.

Its getting to the stage I don't want to live in this country but where else can you go?

By *otus17Man
1 week ago

Merthyr Tydfil

Probably clock the milage on each MOT, then DVLA request it like road tax or add it to your next road tax

By *an1978Woman
1 week ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

Or of it is to combat the loss of fuel tax due to electric cars, surely can add tax to public chargers? (Not fair to the user I know but would make more sense)

1 week ago

Flintshire

"Probably clock the milage on each MOT, then DVLA request it like road tax or add it to your next road tax"

We can but live in hope. This would most definitely be my preferred method.

I would definitely buy an older car with a mechanical speedo.

Oh, and a black n decker drill with reverse action.

I could take the miles off faster than the government could charge for them.

By *ongwayfromhomeMan
1 week ago

newport

I was under the impression this was only for electric vehicles?

By (user no longer on site)
1 week ago

I don’t think this will go ahead as a lot of motorist will be outraged and also won’t be able to afford to drive

By *idlaldiMan
1 week ago

bridgend

Do waht ive done, buy a battery angle grinder

By *almprintsWoman
1 week ago

deepest, darkest West

Jesus, I love the sense of panic and outrage for something that is just a hypothetical at present.

Calm down red top readers.

1 week ago

caerphilly

"Jesus, I love the sense of panic and outrage for something that is just a hypothetical at present.

Calm down red top readers. "

A few people said that in 1933 too

By *uxtapositionMan
1 week ago

CARDIFF

"Jesus, I love the sense of panic and outrage for something that is just a hypothetical at present.

Surely those concerned at a potential erosion of civil liberties are the antithesis of a “ red top reader “ ??

By *almprintsWoman
1 week ago

deepest, darkest West

Calm down red top readers.

Surely those concerned at a potential erosion of civil liberties are the antithesis of a “ red top reader “ ??"

I guess the point is, the plan is not yet fully thought through, so complaining about it now, before facts, is unnecessary.

By *ighugs69Man
1 week ago

Port Talbot

Having worked in IT for far too long, the tinfoil hat wearers can stop worrying. There's little chance of your every movement being tracked and sent to you each month.

They could start charging based on MOT mileage. But that has many problems, new cars don't have one for three years. It's a record of the pervious year mileage so what if you scrap the car or sell it before the next MOT.

Most likely they'll charge for all vehicles in clean air zones and start increasing fuel duty again.

1 week ago

Flintshire

"At present" is nothing more than "right now".

Hypothetical it might be, but only in regards of "right now".

Things can and do change.

Things can include governments and taxation rates.

As a prole, I fear the worst.

HTH (Hope That Helps)

1 week ago

Flintshire

"Having worked in IT for far too long, the tinfoil hat wearers can stop worrying. There's little chance of your every movement being tracked and sent to you each month.

They could start charging based on MOT mileage. But that has many problems, new cars don't have one for three years. It's a record of the pervious year mileage so what if you scrap the car or sell it before the next MOT.

Most likely they'll charge for all vehicles in clean air zones and start increasing fuel duty again."

You clearly have not enabled the ability for google to track your location. It is already and has been a feature of Google maps for decades.

MOT mileage is a non runner simply because older cars with mechanical or even some electronic mileage counters can be disabled by being disconnected.

Pay per mile can only work if there is a reliable system of detection from the journey begin to the journey end. Using physical cameras, this would require a camera to be mounted outside every house, every business, every road junction. That ain't gonna happen.

What might happen is GPS tracking of vehicles, but that would require GPS to be built in to every vehicle.

Of course, it might require non GPS enabled vehicles to be fitted with a "GPS black box" if those vehicles are to be allowed onto the roads.

Hope That Helps.

By *ighugs69Man
1 week ago

Port Talbot

"Having worked in IT for far too long, the tinfoil hat wearers can stop worrying. There's little chance of your every movement being tracked and sent to you each month.

Most likely they'll charge for all vehicles in clean air zones and start increasing fuel duty again.

You clearly have not enabled the ability for google to track your location. It is already and has been a feature of Google maps for decades.

MOT mileage is a non runner simply because older cars with mechanical or even some electronic mileage counters can be disabled by being disconnected.

Pay per mile can only work if there is a reliable system of detection from the journey begin to the journey end. Using physical cameras, this would require a camera to be mounted outside every house, every business, every road junction. That ain't gonna happen.

What might happen is GPS tracking of vehicles, but that would require GPS to be built in to every vehicle.

Of course, it might require non GPS enabled vehicles to be fitted with a "GPS black box" if those vehicles are to be allowed onto the roads.

Hope That Helps."

Yes, I have enabled Google location tracking at times and it suxs donkey private parts for accuracy. Particularly in rural areas - like North Wales.

The rest of the answers you've given to your own original questions are broadly correct.

One thing you missed is the repurposing of average speed cameras into congestion cameras. A change in the software could send you a ticket for travelling too slowly instead of too quickly.

It didn't really help me, but hopefully it will help someone

By *ogerBottomsMan
1 week ago

Aberdare

"The government has not yet announced exactly how it will charge the new pay per mile scheme."

The Government has not announced anything because this isn't a current policy. It's just one of a few things that Labour's opponents are saying the Government might do. Removing the single person discount on council tax is another. Neither of these things have been suggested seriously. Political shitposting, basically.

1 week ago

Flintshire

"

Yes, I have enabled Google location tracking at times and it suxs donkey private parts for accuracy. Particularly in rural areas - like North Wales.

"

I know full well that google maps accuracy sucks worse than donkey parts, (my elderly father was deeply concerned when google maps showed me as being located at the Magistrates Court even though I was sat at home) but I do rather suspect that would suit the government and their pay per mile agenda.

Just sayin.

Post new Message to Thread