Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Proper lockdown

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai

My friends in Lagos start 14 days of total lockdown today , not allowed out the house without paperwork confirming official govt. approved activity.

You can imagine the supermarkets last night! Hopefully it will be short. Should UK have done similar ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think they will at peak

over a year ago

Yes they should have as it stops the spread.

T

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

OP.... To answer your question: Absolutely NOT. We need information from the government not bits of paper.

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Yes they should have as it stops the spread. T"

We already have a lock down, well round we have.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai

[Removed by poster at 31/03/20 09:42:22]

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai

"Yes they should have as it stops the spread. T

We already have a lock down, well round we have. "

Not really, take a look at the M25 and M1 right now. The shops and supermarkets are open and busy.

The roads in Lagos today are silent , third mainland bridge is completely empty, practically everyone but armed police are at home. No shops are open, not one.

over a year ago

If people still keep not following the lock down ,we probably will have stricter rules ,

over a year ago

I think it’s coming.

People are still not taking things seriously and the numbers are still increasing.

I’d give it another week and then I think the Government will enforce stricter movement guidelines.

The quicker we do as we’re told, the quicker we’ll come out the other side

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Not really, take a look at the M25 and M1 right now. The shops and supermarkets are open and busy.

The roads in Lagos today are silent , third mainland bridge is completely empty, practically everyone but armed police are at home. No shops are open, not one. "

OK that is the way they do it..... One small point people do need to eat. Also what damage is being done to the economy? Will need it more than ever when this poxy little virus has been sent on its way...

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"If people still keep not following the lock down ,we probably will have stricter rules , "

If I might say you seem to be inviting it,,,,

By *eresa_cdslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Bodmin

People are coming here on "holiday" still ffs! Gordon Ramsay has arrived with all his family staying in one of their £4m houses in Cornwall.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai

The roads in Lagos today are silent , third mainland bridge is completely empty, practically everyone but armed police are at home. No shops are open, not one.

OK that is the way they do it..... One small point people do need to eat. Also what damage is being done to the economy? Will need it more than ever when this poxy little virus has been sent on its way..."

It interesting about food, it’s the least of their concerns, most have enough for 14 days anyway but got extra rice , oil and milk powder. People are scared there generators will run out of diesel and they won’t be able to work from home so will get fired. They are scared the churches and community will stop functioning and looking after each other.

Personally I’d rather have 14 days of total lockdown than what we have , if it worked anyway

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

OK that is the way they do it..... One small point people do need to eat. Also what damage is being done to the economy? Will need it more than ever when this poxy little virus has been sent on its way...

It interesting about food, it’s the least of their concerns, most have enough for 14 days anyway but got extra rice , oil and milk powder. People are scared there generators will run out of diesel and they won’t be able to work from home so will get fired. They are scared the churches and community will stop functioning and looking after each other.

Personally I’d rather have 14 days of total lockdown than what we have , if it worked anyway "

You'd have to lockdown all NHS staff and just let the sick people die

Is that acceptable ?

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

In a complete lockdown like that I'm sure the cure would be worse for the people and the country than the problem itself.

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Do you really think the Nigerians are going to adhere to "strict enforcement".

They local police and federal road safety will still be taking money from locals for movement.

VI will be under scrutiny as that will be easy to manage however just head over to the mainland there will be people moving as usual.

over a year ago

"OP.... To answer your question: Absolutely NOT. We need information from the government not bits of paper."

Totally agree with plane mike here.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I'd say its partial lock down here..that list of key workers is quite extensive...building sites etc

By *oldsteadyMan
over a year ago

glasgow

The problem is - the government are now trying to blame the public for this, rather than taking responsibility themselves.

They knew this was coming but failed to prepare.

They still don't have enough equipment and the PM was going around shaking patient's hands!

Instead of a total lockdown, we need millions of tests - then we can lockdown those who have it and free those now immune.

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"My friends in Lagos start 14 days of total lockdown today , not allowed out the house without paperwork confirming official govt. approved activity.

You can imagine the supermarkets last night! Hopefully it will be short. Should UK have done similar ? "

No we should not do similar.

The 360 page covid19 act that has just gone through parliment is far more scarier than the actual virus.

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"The problem is - the government are now trying to blame the public for this, rather than taking responsibility themselves.

They still don't have enough equipment and the PM was going around shaking patient's hands!

Instead of a total lockdown, we need millions of tests - then we can lockdown those who have it and free those now immune.

"

Bingo

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The problem is - the government are now trying to blame the public for this, rather than taking responsibility themselves.

"

The goverment are expecting us all to do our part and yet every single flight into the UK from other countrys (some that are hot spots of covid) are not only not checked for covid but not even gettimg a temperature check and are freely allowed to use public transport to get home.

Its a nonsense and a shambles.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai

The goverment are expecting us all to do our part and yet every single flight into the UK from other countrys (some that are hot spots of covid) are not only not checked for covid but not even gettimg a temperature check and are freely allowed to use public transport to get home.

Its a nonsense and a shambles."

Exactly... we repatriated 3 people last week from Asia and Africa , the last was Bangkok , Abu Dhabi Heathrow on Friday and not a single check or question on entry , she just walk through and jumped on the Heathrow Express as normal. Yet going the other way people are detailed, questioned and placed into mandatory isolation in separate apartments from their families

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"The goverment are expecting us all to do our part and yet every single flight into the UK from other countrys (some that are hot spots of covid) are not only not checked for covid but not even gettimg a temperature check and are freely allowed to use public transport to get home.

Hmmm Not much logic there.....!! We had all that pantomime of quarantining folk up on the Wirral. That soon went by the board...

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Its farcical.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

What do you want ... leave uk residents overseas or allow them back ??

What’s it to be

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"What do you want ... leave uk residents overseas or allow them back ??

What’s it to be "

Test people coming in from infected areas for a start?

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Test people coming in from infected areas for a start?"

Why?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What’s it to be

Why?"

Not even gonna answer that.

over a year ago

"My friends in Lagos start 14 days of total lockdown today , not allowed out the house without paperwork confirming official govt. approved activity.

You can imagine the supermarkets last night! Hopefully it will be short. Should UK have done similar ? "

No don’t need to be made to feel like a prisoner. The cost to the economy is going to really hurt for long time as it is now

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Why?

Not even gonna answer that."

Ok, assuming each arrival is tested, what do you do with them until they have the result?

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

What’s it to be

Why?"

It should be blindingly obvious, do you really need it spelt out?!

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Why?

It should be blindingly obvious, do you really need it spelt out?! "

Ok, assuming each arrival is tested, what do you do with them until the result is known

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What’s it to be

Why?

Ok, assuming each arrival is tested, what do you do with them until they have the result?"

I said the other day personally I would have limited the numbers coming in from infected areas.

over a year ago

The issue with too tight a lock down is that coronovirus isnt going away if the majority dont get immunity over a period of time ie weeks or a few months then your back to square one when it pops up again when you relax restrictions because it will, its spread to far to stop that now,

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Why?

Ok, assuming each arrival is tested, what do you do with them until they have the result?

I said the other day personally I would have limited the numbers coming in from infected areas.

"

ok, so you didnt answer the question "what to do with them while waiting for test result", but your response puts me back to my first question " what do you want UK citizens left in overseas countries, or do you want them back"

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The issue with too tight a lock down is that coronovirus isnt going away if the majority dont get immunity over a period of time ie weeks or a few months then your back to square one when it pops up again when you relax restrictions because it will, its spread to far to stop that now,"

I think time will tell which approach is the best.

Russia had an early lockdown and restricted people coming in and their rates are quite low.

Only time will tell I guess.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Is lockdown the same as being strapped down

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What’s it to be

Why?

ok, so you didnt answer the question "what to do with them while waiting for test result", but your response puts me back to my first question " what do you want UK citizens left in overseas countries, or do you want them back""

My original point was more about foreign nationals.I think if uk citizens have come from badly infected areas they should be quarantined..I dont see the point of letting them spread the virus around even further.

By *ensual massagerMan
over a year ago

Bolton

I understand some points but a total lockdown is impossible. People would starve to death. Yes there are key workers but there's also essential workers.

Hgvs drivers, delivery drivers, warehouse staff, office staff for the warehouses. Supermarket workers. They all need transport and facilities to keep going to and from work. The list is not exhaustive. The practicalities need to be thought out properly. Some people cannot afford to get more than a day or two shopping in. They can't stock up.

Idealism and practicality are in different spheres

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I understand some points but a total lockdown is impossible. People would starve to death. Yes there are key workers but there's also essential workers.

Hgvs drivers, delivery drivers, warehouse staff, office staff for the warehouses. Supermarket workers. They all need transport and facilities to keep going to and from work. The list is not exhaustive. The practicalities need to be thought out properly. Some people cannot afford to get more than a day or two shopping in. They can't stock up.

Idealism and practicality are in different spheres "

Total lockdown is impractical I agree.People need food etc.

However I'm intrigued as to why bricklayers for example are classed as essential workers.

over a year ago

"I understand some points but a total lockdown is impossible. People would starve to death. Yes there are key workers but there's also essential workers.

Idealism and practicality are in different spheres

Total lockdown is impractical I agree.People need food etc.

However I'm intrigued as to why bricklayers for example are classed as essential workers."

To brick up the infected homes

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Why?

ok, so you didnt answer the question "what to do with them while waiting for test result", but your response puts me back to my first question " what do you want UK citizens left in overseas countries, or do you want them back"

My original point was more about foreign nationals.I think if uk citizens have come from badly infected areas they should be quarantined..I dont see the point of letting them spread the virus around even further."

How many foreign nationals do you think are travelling freely from country to country? If they are arriving in to UK where will they be living?

UK nationals arriving back - the government restrictions would require them to go from airport to home and stay at home.

By *arry WindsorMan
over a year ago

Heaton Park Manchester

"

I've been arguing this for weeks, even before the lockdow. By testing you know who has is, who have had it, and who is at risk.

However, the problem is getting people to participate in any structured restriction of "their liberties " even though they may be killing innocent victims.

Stay in, don't spread it around and stay safe.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What’s it to be

Why?

My original point was more about foreign nationals.I think if uk citizens have come from badly infected areas they should be quarantined..I dont see the point of letting them spread the virus around even further.

How many foreign nationals do you think are travelling freely from country to country? If they are arriving in to UK where will they be living?

UK nationals arriving back - the government restrictions would require them to go from airport to home and stay at home.

"

I'll say it again.When this started I would have restricted people from china coming in.Im not sure what harm this would have done?It wouldnt have stopped it but it may have reduced it.

But surely a lot of them would have been travelling on public transport?Its too late now anyway the cat is out of the bag.

over a year ago

here

What’s it to be

Why?

I'll say it again.When this started I would have restricted people from china coming in.Im not sure what harm this would have done?It wouldnt have stopped it but it may have reduced it.

But surely a lot of them would have been travelling on public transport?Its too late now anyway the cat is out of the bag."

That was then, cant change that, no point going over it with the benefit of hindsight.

What about now.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What’s it to be

Why?

But surely a lot of them would have been travelling on public transport?Its too late now anyway the cat is out of the bag.

That was then, cant change that, no point going over it with the benefit of hindsight.

What about now.

"

I honestly dont know..I think mistakes were made early on.The virus is here now..its how we cope with it.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

There is zero point in testing anyone not going into hospital until there is an anti body test

It only proves you don't have the virus at that moment in time not whether you've already had it or whether you'll get it tomorrow.

The current restrictions are perfectly adequate even if only 80-90 % observe them

It's not about stopping the vurus it's about slowing down hospital admissions full stop

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Absolutely unnecessary in my opinion. There is no evidence that a full lockdown would be anymore effective than what we are doing now.

Plus a full lockdown would most probably create more problems in the longer term than it would potentially solve.

over a year ago

"...we need millions of tests - then we can lockdown those who have it and free those now immune.

"

This.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"...we need millions of tests - then we can lockdown those who have it and free those now immune.

This. "

There is no test

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

This.

There is no test

"

there is. It's actually a small laboratory in Derbyshire that has produced it. They are just testing the test to make sure it works.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

The Easter weekend end is coming next week if people have no reason to be out unless shopping for essential, most if not all work will be closed if the covid 19 figures go up that weekend we will most definitely be looking at a Spain Italy still lockdown if people don't follow the rules which are there for everyone benefit.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

This.

There is no test

"

Better check your facts again.

over a year ago

here

This.

There is no test

there is. It's actually a small laboratory in Derbyshire that has produced it. They are just testing the test to make sure it works."

This is the anti-body home test to confirm if you have already had the covid-19?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"People are coming here on "holiday" still ffs! Gordon Ramsay has arrived with all his family staying in one of their £4m houses in Cornwall. "

As long as you keep the social distancing rules I can't see that he's any more of a problem to you or the people of Bodmin than he would to the people living near any one of his other 3 homes.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Personally I’d rather have 14 days of total lockdown than what we have , if it worked anyway "

If it worked. That's the question.

So far the countries who have dealt best with this crisis (South Korea and Taiwan) have not used a lockdown strategy. Maybe there's something to learn from that.

over a year ago

Total lockdown at the wrong time is totally futile exercise. The moment you take it off the virus re establishes itself from outside sources. I personally suspect we may have just about got away with it this time but we'll all relax our guard and it will surge back in again.

Let's see what happens in Wuhan where an authoritarian regime has the opportunity to regulate the flow much more closely than we can in our Bourgeoise, liberal states before we jump the conclusion that lockdowns work.

Let's just suppose for one minute that on the 1st March the government had locked us down and had completely sealed us off from the rest of the world and had mopped up the few cases there were. That leaves 500,000 to perhaps a million British passport holders abroad (bear in mind there are still 300,000 out there now). What would we have done done, banned them from coming back ??? Paid them to stay away ???. Total lockdowns do not work I'm afraid.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

You don't lockdown anyone after testing. You track, isolate and treat. That's what's working best. That's what we should do.

over a year ago

So many experts and no information.

In the great words of SOAD their trying to build a prison.

All I know is we are doomed. The kind of cooperation required to tackle this or climate change or poverty just isn't in our nature. Correction, it is not in the western worlds nature. We are all just in it for ourselves and that is now we die..... By ourselves.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Total lockdown at the wrong time is totally futile exercise. The moment you take it off the virus re establishes itself from outside sources. I personally suspect we may have just about got away with it this time but we'll all relax our guard and it will surge back in again.

Let's see what happens in Wuhan where an authoritarian regime has the opportunity to regulate the flow much more closely than we can in our Bourgeoise, liberal states before we jump the conclusion that lockdowns work.

Let's just suppose for one minute that on the 1st March the government had locked us down and had completely sealed us off from the rest of the world and had mopped up the few cases there were. That leaves 500,000 to perhaps a million British passport holders abroad (bear in mind there are still 300,000 out there now). What would we have done done, banned them from coming back ??? Paid them to stay away ???. Total lockdowns do not work I'm afraid."

You dont know that for a fact.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

What’s it to be

Why?

But surely a lot of them would have been travelling on public transport?Its too late now anyway the cat is out of the bag."

Italy was one of the first counties to ban travel from China and it hasn't helped them much, has it.

The answer lies in Testing, tracking, isolating and treating, not travel bans and lockdowns.

over a year ago

so how you going to get your food, prescriptions etc, going to let your dog shit in the house?

Post new Message to Thread