FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Gallstones

Jump to newest
 

By *uicyboobies OP   Woman
4 weeks ago

Newtownbutler

Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *unguy410Man
4 weeks ago

Cambridge

My dad had his gall bladder removed several years ago. It was done as keyhole surgery and he was out the same day. He couldn't drive for a few weeks but recovery was fairly easy.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *nTheDoghouseXxxMan
4 weeks ago

Nowhereland


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

I had gallstones, was due to have the operation but couldn’t take the time off work. I had a bad diet and was drinking a lot at the time. I went teetotal for a year and became a vegan. That was around eight/nine years ago. Nowadays I watch what I eat and drink infrequently. I’ve not had any trouble with them since

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *im125TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Fife


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

Developed it a few years ago. Intermittent pain after food followed by extreme dry honking and shivering! Haf an ultrasound but nothing showed at that particular time!!

Drove myself to A&E one morning. Turned out my gallbladder was now perforated!!

Anyway, keyhole surgery and great end result so don't worry

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *issHottieBottieWoman
Forum Mod

4 weeks ago

Kent

I had Gallstones, tried managing it myself as didnt want the op but ended up with a stone escaping, getting stuck somewhere, causing pancreatitis, ambulance ride to hospital and 2 weeks in there. I was very very poorly.

The gallbladder is now gone ive had no trouble since and my scars are ao tiny I cant really show you , one is hidden in my belly button.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ad NannaWoman
4 weeks ago

East London

Gallstones can be dangerous if they block the blood flow to your pancreas and cause necrotising pancreatitis.

The stones are hard and can't be broken down by diet, or flushed out.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ickle_my_pickleWoman
4 weeks ago

nosy town

I had mine out. Recover was about 2 weeks bit uncomfortable at first but not too bad. I literally have a scar what looks like a # about 2cm right in the middle underneath my boobs.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *luemoonxMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

You ideally want to keep your gallbladder as essential for concentrating bile and therefore digesting fat and the fat soluble vitamins.

Probably best trying to lower carbs gradually and increase good fats as they will stimulate bile production. Taurine and sulfur amino acids can help along with minerals like magnesium.

Good luck.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *xhib12Man
4 weeks ago

Somewhere

I had gallstones, didn't know it i had them but had some pain one night after eating. Steadily got worse during the evening to the point I thought I was having a heart attack, it was excruciating.

Called 999 and was given an ecg by paramedics which ruled out any heart problems. Taken to hospital and scan showed a packed gall bladder. Appointment made for a few weeks later and had my gall bladder removed. Was a few weeks before I could return to work but absolutely no problems since. Haven't changed diet, alcohol intake, etc and everything appears to be normal. Operation was done via keyhole surgery so scarring is very minimal and hardly noticeable so definitely nothing to worry about.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple
4 weeks ago

Live in Scotland Play in England


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars

You ideally want to keep your gallbladder as essential for concentrating bile and therefore digesting fat and the fat soluble vitamins.

Probably best trying to lower carbs gradually and increase good fats as they will stimulate bile production. Taurine and sulfur amino acids can help along with minerals like magnesium.

Good luck.

"

I would second this and also suggest trying to increase consumption of bitter foods like rocket, radish etc

You can also look into Swedish bitters

Bitter foods can help stimulate flow of sludgy bile

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkyukxxxCouple
4 weeks ago

Nottinghamshire


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

Hey Mrs K here, I was going to message you but you have couples blocked. I had mine removed November 2023, I had been on the wait list and they kept cancelling my ops, anyway I tried everything but had a really bad flare up, ended up in a and e in agony worse than childbirth! Had it removed two days later as an emergency but it was that infected and close to bursting I needed a lot of antibiotics first and they did keyhole but had to make a couple of the holes wider as they were concerned about perforation and infection, I was in a lot of pain for the first day afterwards as it was a bit tricky to remove and bruised my liver but it was the best thing ever in the end and I haven’t had issues since and not had to change my lifestyle, initially I was worried about my scars but now they are ok. I’m happy to show you pics of when I had it done not long after and what they look like now if you wanted to message me 😊

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkyukxxxCouple
4 weeks ago

Nottinghamshire


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

I was in hospital for 4 nights but that was due to it being an emergency and the infection etc. recovery was ok, I was well looked after. I had to sleep kind of a little bit upright I brought one of those v shape pillows was a godsend. Had morphine for a few days and I was absolutely fine after a couple weeks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lainJane23Woman
4 weeks ago

Liverpool

1st attach. Ended up in hozzi for a week. Id got acute blood poisoning!!. 4weeks later day case and gall blader whipped out.

Key hole surg amazing oh ask for medical grade glue. Stops infection and heels better

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ersatilefoxMan
4 weeks ago

Notts

My younger sister ended up with septicemia, extremely poorly.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *uicyboobies OP   Woman
4 weeks ago

Newtownbutler

Thanks everyone. I've been told it was caused by low carbs and intermittent fasting as never had am attack prior. And yes it was the same if not worse than childbirth. I've had an ultrasound but no sign of stones for waiting for hida scan to see if it's sludge. Did anyone use buscopan as I'm reading it helps during an attack.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *im125TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Fife

Yes I had the same problem with ultrasound. If stones have moved on ultrasound shows nothing. Then of course more stones start up!

Keyhole surgery leaves next to no scars.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ysteryman.123Man
4 weeks ago

bilston


"Thanks everyone. I've been told it was caused by low carbs and intermittent fasting as never had am attack prior. And yes it was the same if not worse than childbirth. I've had an ultrasound but no sign of stones for waiting for hida scan to see if it's sludge. Did anyone use buscopan as I'm reading it helps during an attack. "

Hi, I have them and was experiencing the pain almost monthly. Doctor put me on tablets which are incredible. Not had an attack since. They’re called Laproxin. I took 2 a day at first but after 12 weeks I was told to take as and when I felt an attack coming. They’re brilliant.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *icecock7Man
4 weeks ago

Wolverhampton


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

Hi , i had my gall bladder removed 20 years ago, key hole surgery so scars barely visible. Recovery was about 4 to 6 weeks, just need to get up and keep moving, I'm sure you will be fine if you need the op

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *abioMan
3 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

One of the best things to do is keep a food diary for the next few weeks… so you can see what is possibly triggering the attacks (for me it was as simple as seeds)

In the long run.. surgery may be the best option… depending on how inflamed your gallbladder is will determine on whether they can do it via keyhole or if the will need to slice you open!!

Keyhole is normally in an out the same day

I won’t tell you what happened in my case because it will scare the bejesus out of you!

After is fine…. Lay off the spicy and fatty foods at the beginning as your body will have to adjust, but you will be fine!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *pforfun06Man
3 weeks ago

Shipston

I don’t have a gallbladder

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ourAccompliceMan
3 weeks ago

Leeds

I would deffo recommend just getting the surgery unless you have a really good reason you can’t.

My quality of life is so much better afterwards and other people I know who’ve had it done would say the same.

My dad can’t because his has formed a fistula with his Liver that makes it a much more dangerous surgery and he’s very envious that I’ve had it gone.

Like diet can help, mostly just avoiding fat as what is happening is the stored up bile is released in a rush pushing the stone into the entrance blocking it causing it to inflate causing a hell of a lot of pain.

Regardless diet won’t completely iliminate attacks.

Ironically loosing weight can actually make the stone bigger.

I remember when I was having attacks even the highest strength cocodamol woudlnt really blunt the pain and that the best way to manage it was to just go on a walk as it was something you could do without detailed thought that would distract and I think might have helped to dislodge the stone.

I think also with keeping it there is a risk that an attack could cause an infection.

In terms of the affects of having it removed I’d say I’ve found it very minimal. The literature said that it can increase indigestion, I’ve not really found this much but the idea is that your stomach has to release slower as it can’t get a big push of bile.

I find that if I eat fatty foods I often suddenly need the toilet but it’s never been anything that I couldn’t get to the toilet as it happens quick enough that you are near a toilet when it happens but not so quick you can’t hold it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ilverfox for youMan
3 weeks ago

Hull

They can laser them now if not to big

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *UBLINCASTLEMan
3 weeks ago

DUBLIN

Removed by keyhole surgery. Symptoms were severe pain in my side, as if I had been kicked and vomiting. Eating too much red meat and M&S high-fat yoghurts. My cholesterol went sky-high over 4 year timeframe, having been fine for years.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *dible_KinkCouple
3 weeks ago

Aberdeen

I have gallstones too and still have my gallbladder, as I’ve never been offered the option of having it removed. I did lose some weight and started eating reasonably healthily, and thankfully that seems to have helped. I haven’t had an attack in over a year now, and I never want to experience another one again! I’ve honestly never felt pain like it, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 😩

How are you managing things now, OP? Have you been able to find anything that helps?

Polly

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lessing2016Woman
3 weeks ago

Cardiff

Had gallstones after losing 4st in what could be considered a short amount of time back in 2018. He's me trying to look after my body better and I get punished 😅.

I didn't realise what it was till I had an x-ray after suffering for months with weird ad-hoc horrendous pain that I just thought was down to a greasy dinner or one too many treats. They ended up having to remove it and like many I have three small scars (two are visible-ish) from surgery.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *oonlight RendezvousMan
2 weeks ago

Lewisham

What and where was the symptoms and pain people were experiencing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hatmeetfunMan
2 weeks ago

Chelsea

You can try a low fat diet but the gallstones will cause probs eventually so you’re probably best getting an op scheduled. Given waiting times it’ll take a while to come through so I’d suggest just getting on with it…

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lessing2016Woman
2 weeks ago

Cardiff


"What and where was the symptoms and pain people were experiencing? "

Stomach and back, was horrendous. Had to sleep sitting up when I had flare ups

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *atnip make me purrWoman
2 weeks ago

Reading

I did. They just got better.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal

Due to have my gallbladder removed next months after 18months of sheer agony with it had so many attacks from the stones and had pancreatitis at least a dozen times from the issues so cant wait till next month when I get the thing removed a low fat diet helps but it doesn't stop the issue

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By (user no longer on site)
2 weeks ago

I had my Gallbladder removed after said pains It took a couple of weeks to recover I was advised to change my diet onto a GI based diet But I’ve managed to eat normally again As for scars I had keyhole so through the belly button and two other places To be fair I hardly notice anything I’ve a 50 pence sized slot scar above my belly button but it’s hardly noticeable

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal


"You can try a low fat diet but the gallstones will cause probs eventually so you’re probably best getting an op scheduled. Given waiting times it’ll take a while to come through so I’d suggest just getting on with it…"

Agree in our area the waiting list is a year

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal


"What and where was the symptoms and pain people were experiencing? "

Mine it was all round the upper belly just below my rib cage and all across my shoulders the only way I could really describe the pain is like something crushing your chest area

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal


"Thanks everyone. I've been told it was caused by low carbs and intermittent fasting as never had am attack prior. And yes it was the same if not worse than childbirth. I've had an ultrasound but no sign of stones for waiting for hida scan to see if it's sludge. Did anyone use buscopan as I'm reading it helps during an attack. "

I've had buscopan did very little me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *averNW CoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

leeds

Male here

Had mine done survived a really bad attack had a stent fitted and then removed about 3 months later this lasted for another two years and it came back so had it removed

Besides complications with the operation recovery (3 week stint in hospital with infection) it’s perfect now don’t feel any different, life as normal diet the same and act and eat as I did prior to having it removed

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *abioMan
2 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead


"Male here

Had mine done survived a really bad attack had a stent fitted and then removed about 3 months later this lasted for another two years and it came back so had it removed

Besides complications with the operation recovery (3 week stint in hospital with infection) it’s perfect now don’t feel any different, life as normal diet the same and act and eat as I did prior to having it removed "

Now someone else has told their horror story I feel safe to tell mine…

Anyway, was supposed to have my gallbladder removed after a serious of attacks and was supposed to be in out day surgery

Anyway they whipped it out via keyhole surgery.. but they didn’t realise it was so inflamed, or the decision would have been slice me open…

Result… lost pints of blood to the point I almost needed a transfusion… my day surgery ended up being 2 weeks in hospital (FYI having basically a day ward all to yourself overnight… mildly weird, having nurses fussing over me.. wonderful!)

Downside is that I had organised a big social in Belfast (well everyone has complaining nothing ever happened.. so I thought sod it I would!) and ended up not being allowed to fly and missing it!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *uicyboobies OP   Woman
2 weeks ago

Newtownbutler

Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting for a hida scan and I've been told I'm having a scope as well. I find the healthier I eat the worse I am. I've been told if I have another attack to take buscopan or if very bad go to A&E. My best friend had hers out 5 years ago and they fucked up so badly she coded and had to be resuscitated twice. She needed pints of blood and was in hospital for weeks. If I remember they didn't close or seal something off inside her, I don't want to ask her again about it as she is still traumatised.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *thLincsCpleCouple
2 weeks ago

Barton

Definitely one of the worst pains ever and I only had 3 stones, I couldn’t control with diet,they tried to remove it laparoscopically but found two gallbladders so had to fully open me up as things got complicated; sadly no-one told drafting so five weeks later I was back on guard duty, running around with my SA80


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *cottish_Gent_42Man
2 weeks ago

Falkirk

Might be a bit late for this.

I’ve had my Gallbladder out.

But the pain from the flare ups were excruciating. They always used to hit me in the middle of the night. I was given morphine which did not do anything. One night while in agony I was googling it. I can’t find the website anymore but I found a page which recommend drinking cold pressed apple juice with 2-3 table spoons of apple cider vinegar in it. I think it was about 500 ml of apple juice.

Didn’t taste the nicest but the pain cleared within 10 minutes of drinking it.

It’s not a cure but it did get rid of the pain. Worked better than any medication

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal

Im due to have gallbladder surgery soon has anyone who's had it out been advised to take ox bile capsules after

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *obbieduffMan
2 weeks ago

ALFRETON


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

I have had lots of pain in my full bladder - had scan but could find nothing, was told I had sludge not stones.

I cut out fatty foods and lost weight, still have issues occasionally but not as often or as severely.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *uicyboobies OP   Woman
2 weeks ago

Newtownbutler


"Im due to have gallbladder surgery soon has anyone who's had it out been advised to take ox bile capsules after "

I'm taking them now with each meal but I'm on the Ireland UK Facebook page and lots are taking them post removal.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal


"Im due to have gallbladder surgery soon has anyone who's had it out been advised to take ox bile capsules after

I'm taking them now with each meal but I'm on the Ireland UK Facebook page and lots are taking them post removal. "

Thankyou if you dont mind me asking what dose do you take and do they help happy for you to pm if you would prefer

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *uicyboobies OP   Woman
2 weeks ago

Newtownbutler


"Im due to have gallbladder surgery soon has anyone who's had it out been advised to take ox bile capsules after

I'm taking them now with each meal but I'm on the Ireland UK Facebook page and lots are taking them post removal.

Thankyou if you dont mind me asking what dose do you take and do they help happy for you to pm if you would prefer "

I take 1 capsule of the Now brand ones just before each meal, I also take stone breaker and tudca. When I've pain I take apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure what's working. I have niggling pain most days, most days bearable other days not so much. The attacks which I've had 2 in a year were horrendous and I can only compare as equal to childbirth. I've started a diary as I find the worse my diet is the easier the pain and the healthier I eat the more pain I suffer.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkyukxxxCouple
2 weeks ago

Nottinghamshire


"Thanks everyone. I've been told it was caused by low carbs and intermittent fasting as never had am attack prior. And yes it was the same if not worse than childbirth. I've had an ultrasound but no sign of stones for waiting for hida scan to see if it's sludge. Did anyone use buscopan as I'm reading it helps during an attack. "

If you want to see my scars as they are now I will happily send you a pic of you drop me a message. It is Mrs typing and will be myself responding

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
2 weeks ago

Walmer, Deal


"Im due to have gallbladder surgery soon has anyone who's had it out been advised to take ox bile capsules after

I'm taking them now with each meal but I'm on the Ireland UK Facebook page and lots are taking them post removal.

Thankyou if you dont mind me asking what dose do you take and do they help happy for you to pm if you would prefer

I take 1 capsule of the Now brand ones just before each meal, I also take stone breaker and tudca. When I've pain I take apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure what's working. I have niggling pain most days, most days bearable other days not so much. The attacks which I've had 2 in a year were horrendous and I can only compare as equal to childbirth. I've started a diary as I find the worse my diet is the easier the pain and the healthier I eat the more pain I suffer. "

Thankyou so much

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *a LunaWoman
2 weeks ago

Wales

When I had mine out I had a 6 month baby so was worried about looking after him with the stitches etc but it was ok. I stayed with my mum for 2 weeks so she could do the initial picking up and putting him down, but after that it was fine.

Listen to what they tell you. And it’s better that than to have the pain of an attack.

The stitches are now super faint and I’m not worried about them.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hyllMan
2 weeks ago

461 Ocean Boulevard

Key hole surgery took mine out a while ago, but the pain in my shoulder was bloody awful!

I did ask the surgeon if I could have the gallstones two of which I still have to this day there were small ones, but the two predominant ones are around 20 mm in diameter, they would make a lovely pair of earrings I think!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *UBLINCASTLEMan
2 days ago

DUBLIN

Gallstones are balls of cholesterol, so once they are there in your gallbladder, usually surgery is needed. I had mine out about 4 years ago through keyhole surgery.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 
 

By *elshmanCoolMan
2 days ago

llandudno


"Hi.

Has anyone who had gallstone attacks managed to hold on their gallbladder through vitamins and diet etc, if so what did you take to improve gallbladder health.

Or have you ended up needing it removed eventually. What was your recovery like and if possible could I see your scars "

Gallstone pain is horrific, I had my GB taken out 6 years ago, keyhole surgery, very little to see now !

The relief was incredible, I still have to be carefull with some foods (dark green veggies are a no no!) but a very quick recovery

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread
back to top