Back to forum list
Back to Virus

The oldest virus in the world

Jump to newest

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

From the guardian

Scientists have revived a virus that had been trapped in Siberian permafrost for nearly 50,000 years, bolstering concerns that global warming will lead to ancient pathogens being released.

That the microbe was still capable of infecting cells highlights the danger of so-called zombie viruses emerging from thawing soils, researchers said.

Known as a pandoravirus, it infects only single-cell organisms and should pose no threat to humans. It had been trapped beneath a lake bed in Yakutia for 48,500 years, making it the oldest “live” virus to be recovered so far.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"From the guardian

Scientists have revived a virus that had been trapped in Siberian permafrost for nearly 50,000 years, bolstering concerns that global warming will lead to ancient pathogens being released.

That the microbe was still capable of infecting cells highlights the danger of so-called zombie viruses emerging from thawing soils, researchers said.

Known as a pandoravirus, it infects only single-cell organisms and should pose no threat to humans. It had been trapped beneath a lake bed in Yakutia for 48,500 years, making it the oldest “live” virus to be recovered so far."

Sounds like the plot to fortitude... Scary idea

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

This is the sort of geekery that gets me excited

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Sounds like the Artic based film, The Thing, needs a sequel.

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

Wow, thanks for sharing... I wish I had a science brain, stuff like this is awesome

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

Zombie viruses... There really is going to be a Zombie apocalypse

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"From the guardian

Known as a pandoravirus, it infects only single-cell organisms and should pose no threat to humans. It had been trapped beneath a lake bed in Yakutia for 48,500 years, making it the oldest “live” virus to be recovered so far."

You get 10/10 for having so accurately absorbed all the information from the newspaper article.

As regards the variety of flora and fauna trapped in permafrost and emerging as melting occurs: revival of the wooly mammoth from DNA would be an interesting development!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I'm pretty sure Tom posted this in the lounge many months ago.

So not really a new story more scaremongering.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's fascinating research and good for us to be aware of the potential for long hidden viruses to get released back into circulation, due to human behaviour and lack of concern for our natural world.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

york

"From the guardian

"infects only single-cell organisms..."

But multi-celled organisms are only colonies of single cells that happen to be stuck together in mobile lumps. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

"I'm pretty sure Tom posted this in the lounge many months ago.

So not really a new story more scaremongering. "

As it says " No danger to humans " where does the scaremongering come into it ?

By *ommenhimCouple
over a year ago

wigan

"From the guardian

Known as a pandoravirus, it infects only single-cell organisms and should pose no threat to humans. It had been trapped beneath a lake bed in Yakutia for 48,500 years, making it the oldest “live” virus to be recovered so far.

"infects only single-cell organisms..."

But multi-celled organisms are only colonies of single cells that happen to be stuck together in mobile lumps. Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Will do!

By *exhillboyMan
over a year ago

Vilamoura Portugal

"From the guardian

This is the kind of virus that worries me the most, right at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine when all single cell organisms are gone then the next organism up the food chain starves to death and this ripple of destruction works its way up the food chain until all fish are dead and continues until all plant and animal life is dead, then not only is mankind wiped out there is no possibility that the earth can repopulate itself and it becomes a dead planet.

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"From the guardian

This is the kind of virus that worries me the most, right at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine when all single cell organisms are gone then the next organism up the food chain starves to death and this ripple of destruction works its way up the food chain until all fish are dead and continues until all plant and animal life is dead, then not only is mankind wiped out there is no possibility that the earth can repopulate itself and it becomes a dead planet."

If this was th3 case though, wouldn't it have happened before the virus was frozen?

If it didn't wipe out humans or all life before we had the knowledge of sanitation and medicine, it won't now.

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

"From the guardian

This is the kind of virus that worries me the most, right at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine when all single cell organisms are gone then the next organism up the food chain starves to death and this ripple of destruction works its way up the food chain until all fish are dead and continues until all plant and animal life is dead, then not only is mankind wiped out there is no possibility that the earth can repopulate itself and it becomes a dead planet.If this was th3 case though, wouldn't it have happened before the virus was frozen?

If it didn't wipe out humans or all life before we had the knowledge of sanitation and medicine, it won't now."

Were humans around before the north pole froze ?

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"From the guardian

This is the kind of virus that worries me the most, right at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine when all single cell organisms are gone then the next organism up the food chain starves to death and this ripple of destruction works its way up the food chain until all fish are dead and continues until all plant and animal life is dead, then not only is mankind wiped out there is no possibility that the earth can repopulate itself and it becomes a dead planet.If this was th3 case though, wouldn't it have happened before the virus was frozen?

If it didn't wipe out humans or all life before we had the knowledge of sanitation and medicine, it won't now.

"

What freeze are you talking about? The glaciers have melted and froze many times?

As this virus is 48.5k years old and humans have been around for 300k, in this case, Yes, humans were around before this freeze cycle.

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

"From the guardian

What freeze are you talking about? The glaciers have melted and froze many times?

As this virus is 48.5k years old and humans have been around for 300k, in this case, Yes, humans were around before this freeze cycle."

Probably, but they didn't really get around much, COVID would perhaps have infected and killed a few dozen people and not got any farther 50000 years ago.

Your right it's probably nothing to worry about but quite interesting.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"From the guardian

Literally thought you were going to say humans. Lol! Probably time for me to get off fab now.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"From the guardian

Wow, everyday is a learning day...

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

"From the guardian

Literally thought you were going to say humans. Lol! Probably time for me to get off fab now. "

Mind you, there's a few humans around that should be really worried it only attacks single cell organisms as that's their brain gone lol

By *I Two OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cookstown

Sorry that wasn't directed at anyone on this thread obviously

By *nlyDesiCandiTV/TS
over a year ago

london

Thanks for the article- I couldn’t read it behind the paywall

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"From the guardian

As this virus is 48.5k years old and humans have been around for 300k, in this case, Yes, humans were around before this freeze cycle.

Probably, but they didn't really get around much, COVID would perhaps have infected and killed a few dozen people and not got any farther 50000 years ago.

Your right it's probably nothing to worry about but quite interesting."

Siberia isn't exactly densely populated now either to be fair

You are right though, it's defo interesting.

By *ancy38Woman
over a year ago

galway

"From the guardian

I can't wait forthe vaccine this one and the new theories that comes with it

over a year ago

Didn't catch covid and I'm never really ill. So I'm giving the big fuck off to this because I'm not bothered

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

york

"From the guardian

John Carpenter made a movie with Kurt Russel about this back in 1982 I think. "The Thing"... If you are a virus "Man is the warmest place to hide"...

By *ryan...Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

The herpes simplex virus alone is 1.6 million years old.

The smallpox virus was around before humans..

I've no idea what my point is

over a year ago

"From the guardian

if it's in the guardian it must be true eh? Hahaha

By *ooljoeMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

The scientists should concentrate on finding best treatment for cancer and stroke ,which is killing alot of people per annum.Leave the damn virus alone in its resting place FFS.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Rumours as they spread just as quick and are equally damaging.

Post new Message to Thread