Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

If only all authorities would be like Leicestershire

Jump to newest

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Leicestershire NHS are offering special clinics for those with special needs or additional needs which include longer slots to get their vaccines.

As a mother to a adult who falls into this category I wish this was across the board. My daughter found the normal clinics very overwhelming and as before vaccines she was 6 times more likely to die from covid it's been hugely important she had them.

Leicestershire had always seemed to be at the forefront yet seems to have quite a low vaccine up take in general.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

That is good from them and yes, it should be across the board too

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

that's good to hear, Cambridgeshire created an argument a year ago with K. she was accompanying our autistic teen to a pre-booked appointment and was told "no chaperones" K kicked off a little bit and said something like "it's f'in ridiculous that a vulnerable person can't be accompanied" to which a doctor overhead and overruled the person running the queue and apologised. A complaint was made and we were told that the people running the queue would be offered extra training but have no idea if it actually happened or not but it did seem a little bit off that the response was a "go away" rather than "can you explain yourself?"

over a year ago

This is also the case in Hampshire and in the borough of London we live in.

over a year ago

"that's good to hear, Cambridgeshire created an argument a year ago with K. she was accompanying our autistic teen to a pre-booked appointment and was told "no chaperones" K kicked off a little bit and said something like "it's f'in ridiculous that a vulnerable person can't be accompanied" to which a doctor overhead and overruled the person running the queue and apologised. A complaint was made and we were told that the people running the queue would be offered extra training but have no idea if it actually happened or not but it did seem a little bit off that the response was a "go away" rather than "can you explain yourself?""

That is horrible that it happened however I think that was in the minority as I know lots of people that had chaperones with them even in the height of the lockdown.

By *AURA6969TV/TS
over a year ago

RUGBY

They are very obliging here in my town not sure about the county though.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Always good to hear something positive about the nhs for a change.

By *moothCriminal_xMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"that's good to hear, Cambridgeshire created an argument a year ago with K. she was accompanying our autistic teen to a pre-booked appointment and was told "no chaperones" K kicked off a little bit and said something like "it's f'in ridiculous that a vulnerable person can't be accompanied" to which a doctor overhead and overruled the person running the queue and apologised. A complaint was made and we were told that the people running the queue would be offered extra training but have no idea if it actually happened or not but it did seem a little bit off that the response was a "go away" rather than "can you explain yourself?""

To avoid coercion?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/10/22 10:11:59]

over a year ago

"

To avoid coercion?"

No, we complained about it to the vaccine centre manager afterward and they said it was a rule put in place to protect staff from being exposed to more people than necessary as they had a duty of care. We then informed them that they were potentially breaking the law by refusing to make a reasonable adjustment to accommodate disabled people and that they were not fulfilling one of their goals of the vaccination programme. We asked if they would change the policy as we were prepared to escalate it, apparently they decided to change the policy immediately.

I'd actually forgotten that follow up part until I mentioned it to K. this morning and she showed me the emails, her complaint at the centre on the day was the one which was ignored.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

To avoid coercion?

No, we complained about it to the vaccine centre manager afterward and they said it was a rule put in place to protect staff from being exposed to more people than necessary as they had a duty of care. We then informed them that they were potentially breaking the law by refusing to make a reasonable adjustment to accommodate disabled people and that they were not fulfilling one of their goals of the vaccination programme. We asked if they would change the policy as we were prepared to escalate it, apparently they decided to change the policy immediately.

I'd actually forgotten that follow up part until I mentioned it to K. this morning and she showed me the emails, her complaint at the centre on the day was the one which was ignored. "

That's good though isn't it?

They made a mistake, it was brought to their attention. They remedied their mistake.

I mean.. Pretty dim mistake to make but we ve all made mistakes.

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

Anyone who needs it should be offered more time or a more private appointment.

My friend is terrified of needles to the extent of passing out if she sees one coming near her. She didn't get any of the covid vax because the public setting made her even more anxious than she already was.

over a year ago

"Leicestershire NHS are offering special clinics for those with special needs or additional needs which include longer slots to get their vaccines.

As a mother to a adult who falls into this category I wish this was across the board. My daughter found the normal clinics very overwhelming and as before vaccines she was 6 times more likely to die from covid it's been hugely important she had them.

Leicestershire had always seemed to be at the forefront yet seems to have quite a low vaccine up take in general.

"

Completely agree with the excellence of Leicestershire NHS.

over a year ago

When I took my daughter who has severe learning disabilities for her first vaccine, they allowed her respite provider to go in with us. The staff at the vaccination center were very good and understanding..

Post new Message to Thread