FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Singapore will no longer cover the medical costs of Covid-19 patients who are not vaccinated

Jump to newest

By *enny PR9 OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

Singapore will no longer cover the medical costs of Covid-19 patients who are eligible to get vaccinated against the virus but choose not to, the country’s Health Ministry said.

“We will begin charging Covid-19 patients who are unvaccinated by choice” on Dec. 8, the ministry said in a statement on Monday. Those who are not eligible for the shots will be exempt from the rule, it said, including children under 12 and people with certain medical conditions.

The number of severe cases, which have been mainly among unvaccinated people, has stabilized but remains high, the ministry said. Of about 280 intensive-care beds for Covid patients, 134 are occupied, and most are among those not vaccinated, a senior minister of state, Janil Puthucheary, said at a news conference.

“We have to continue to try to keep this number as small as possible,” he said, since health care workers “continue to be stretched.”

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Makes sense

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

"Makes sense "

It's certainly better than mandatory vaccination of all citizens which the Austrians are planning.

I read a typical covid ICU stay in Singapore would set you back about £18,000. That's roughly the cost to each individual if they fall seriously ill unvaxxed.

KJ

By *mma_EvansTV/TS
over a year ago

Colchester

Former New South Wales premier Bob Carr has called on the government to follow Singapore’s decision to discontinue free COVID-19 treatment for unvaccinated patients https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/coronavirus/bob-carr-says-unvaccinated-should-not-be-given-free-health-care-if-they-catched-covid19-after-ignoring-warnings/news-story/4b3cf0c54263da959d8cc2f98e0c7cb9

By *enny PR9 OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

"Makes sense

It's certainly better than mandatory vaccination of all citizens which the Austrians are planning.

I read a typical covid ICU stay in Singapore would set you back about £18,000. That's roughly the cost to each individual if they fall seriously ill unvaxxed.

KJ

"

Plus an extra grand for a 3 week stay in the morgue, paid in advance I would hope.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Honestly I'd absolutely love a social system where I only pay for what I use, I'd be much financial better off. Of course you can all start paying for your vaccines and I'll have a nice tax refund thanks. Ta

over a year ago

I'm gonna chat to a few people on SG to get their take.

Needs to be managed with care IMO. Where people have concerns they should have a doctor sign off that the risks are there and it's a close call.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Herne Bay

It’s a slippery slope , because the next step is not treating all self inflicted illness such as smoking and many more

over a year ago

"It’s a slippery slope , because the next step is not treating all self inflicted illness such as smoking and many more "
I guess it's a lot harder to show the link ... Even lung cancer.

I'd start with d*unk drivers...

over a year ago

This is certainly marginally better than mandatory vaccination.

So I assume they will have to then extend the same rules to obesity related illness, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, smokers and other self inflicted illnesses. Because obviously they can’t just punish those related to Covid?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"This is certainly marginally better than mandatory vaccination.

So I assume they will have to then extend the same rules to obesity related illness, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, smokers and other self inflicted illnesses. Because obviously they can’t just punish those related to Covid? "

Already well under way, try getting a liver transplant if your a drinker.

Try getting a hip of knee op if your overweight.

It's coming

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"Makes sense

KJ

"

Would you like to see this adopted in this country? Move us more towards the USA type healthcare system?

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"Makes sense

KJ

Would you like to see this adopted in this country? Move us more towards the USA type healthcare system?"

Its the way its been heading for years. Slowly strip away funding then outsource.

By *ighlander80884Man
over a year ago

Inverness

So if you climb a mountain and fall off you'll be charged for the helicopter, if you crash your car you'll have to pay for your treatment?

Where would it end?

By *azylivingMan
over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

"Singapore will no longer cover the medical costs of Covid-19 patients who are eligible to get vaccinated against the virus but choose not to, the country’s Health Ministry said.

“We will begin charging Covid-19 patients who are unvaccinated by choice” on Dec. 8, the ministry said in a statement on Monday. Those who are not eligible for the shots will be exempt from the rule, it said, including children under 12 and people with certain medical conditions.

The number of severe cases, which have been mainly among unvaccinated people, has stabilized but remains high, the ministry said. Of about 280 intensive-care beds for Covid patients, 134 are occupied, and most are among those not vaccinated, a senior minister of state, Janil Puthucheary, said at a news conference.

“We have to continue to try to keep this number as small as possible,” he said, since health care workers “continue to be stretched.”"

So glad we all pay for our NHS

By *azylivingMan
over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

"Honestly I'd absolutely love a social system where I only pay for what I use, I'd be much financial better off. Of course you can all start paying for your vaccines and I'll have a nice tax refund thanks. Ta"

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

How many people in the uk paying National insurance would end up paying the equivalent cost for say a hip replacement plus the after after care in their working life?

Or maybe cancer treatment?

Imagine trying to find the money if you had to pay hard cash

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Singapore will no longer cover the medical costs of Covid-19 patients who are eligible to get vaccinated against the virus but choose not to, the country’s Health Ministry said.

“We have to continue to try to keep this number as small as possible,” he said, since health care workers “continue to be stretched.”"

It’s basically now the same in the US where a lot of big employers now specifically won’t cover employees health insurance in plans if they are not vaccinated

By *eadingCouple1963Couple
over a year ago

Reading

"How many people in the uk paying National insurance would end up paying the equivalent cost for say a hip replacement plus the after after care in their working life?

Imagine trying to find the money if you had to pay hard cash "

Yep, I owe the NHS upwards of £200k for cancer treatment over the last 5 years, and I haven’t received an invoice.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

So I assume they will have to then extend the same rules to obesity related illness, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, smokers and other self inflicted illnesses. Because obviously they can’t just punish those related to Covid? "

Could extend that to sexual health related issues, if you don't use condoms.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"So if you climb a mountain and fall off you'll be charged for the helicopter, if you crash your car you'll have to pay for your treatment?

Where would it end? "

Actually if it happened abroad they would probably want a credit card number before sending a helicopter so that's already a reason to have your own insurance

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"How many people in the uk paying National insurance would end up paying the equivalent cost for say a hip replacement plus the after after care in their working life?

Yep, I owe the NHS upwards of £200k for cancer treatment over the last 5 years, and I haven’t received an invoice. "

I hope your doing ok now

Just goes to show that the uk system is still one of the best in the world even if some still try to put it down

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

"Honestly I'd absolutely love a social system where I only pay for what I use, I'd be much financial better off. Of course you can all start paying for your vaccines and I'll have a nice tax refund thanks. Ta"

Your ideas and sums are all off target as usual. Tax income is already working well because people have been vaccinated.

over a year ago

At some point a societal medical system starts to creak. I suspect those with a pay as you need/insurance based model already have vaccination being priced in the underwriting.

Many are saying no to vaccines based on them being low risk to covid. This literally puts their money where the mouth is.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"So if you climb a mountain and fall off you'll be charged for the helicopter, if you crash your car you'll have to pay for your treatment?

Where would it end?

Actually if it happened abroad they would probably want a credit card number before sending a helicopter so that's already a reason to have your own insurance"

Happened to a relative of mine. No credit card, no ambulance. €5k upfront. (Thank fuck for travel insurance)

over a year ago

"Honestly I'd absolutely love a social system where I only pay for what I use, I'd be much financial better off. Of course you can all start paying for your vaccines and I'll have a nice tax refund thanks. Ta

Your ideas and sums are all off target as usual. Tax income is already working well because people have been vaccinated."

Nope, I pay far more into the system than I get out. This is actually quite normal if you bothered to do some research instead of posting the first thought that comes into your head. So let's square up, go completely insurance based. Just give me my refund. I'll be quids in for another 20 years minimum.

over a year ago

"At some point a societal medical system starts to creak. I suspect those with a pay as you need/insurance based model already have vaccination being priced in the underwriting.

Many are saying no to vaccines based on them being low risk to covid. This literally puts their money where the mouth is. "

Yup. Didn't need help the first time I had it. Won't need help if there's a next time.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"At some point a societal medical system starts to creak. I suspect those with a pay as you need/insurance based model already have vaccination being priced in the underwriting.

Many are saying no to vaccines based on them being low risk to covid. This literally puts their money where the mouth is.

Yup. Didn't need help the first time I had it. Won't need help if there's a next time. "

Brilliant !!

By *igNick1381Man
over a year ago

BRIDGEND

This could work if it was specific

Do you have Covid?

Yes

Have you had the vaccination?

No

Tough shit

However, what would be inhumane is the following example

Do you have Covid?

No, my leg is broken

In that case your vaccination status is moot

And to those who say the unvaccinated shouldn't be allowed in as they're a transmission risk factor, as even vaccinated can transmit the virus your argument is weak, like the compassion you like to boast about

By *igNick1381Man
over a year ago

BRIDGEND

Also, if medical assistance is refused die to personal choice, then other personal choices should also come with such consequences

For instance, obesity is a huge indicator of how vulnerable you can be to Covid. So should medical care be restricted to people who are too fat? (I'll ignore such weak excuses as obesity is a disease. It's not. Being obese us largely due to poor life choices

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Does this mean if they are unvaccinated and do not have ability to pay the cost of treatment, they will be simply left to potentially die?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"Does this mean if they are unvaccinated and do not have ability to pay the cost of treatment, they will be simply left to potentially die?"

They won't need treatment, they don't need vaccinated because they aren't going to get sick, isn't that their argument ?

over a year ago

"Also, if medical assistance is refused die to personal choice, then other personal choices should also come with such consequences

For instance, obesity is a huge indicator of how vulnerable you can be to Covid. So should medical care be restricted to people who are too fat? (I'll ignore such weak excuses as obesity is a disease. It's not. Being obese us largely due to poor life choices"

I think the waiting room should just be called by body fat % in order. "OK that's the 9%s done, anyone waiting with 10% body fat?"

over a year ago

"Does this mean if they are unvaccinated and do not have ability to pay the cost of treatment, they will be simply left to potentially die?"
for the very poor, I think it's still subsidised a lot. And many have (mandatory) savings that can be used I suspect.

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

"Honestly I'd absolutely love a social system where I only pay for what I use, I'd be much financial better off. Of course you can all start paying for your vaccines and I'll have a nice tax refund thanks. Ta

Your ideas and sums are all off target as usual. Tax income is already working well because people have been vaccinated.

Nope, I pay far more into the system than I get out. This is actually quite normal if you bothered to do some research instead of posting the first thought that comes into your head. So let's square up, go completely insurance based. Just give me my refund. I'll be quids in for another 20 years minimum. "

That will be the case for many but you are relatively young. You only need something to go a bit pear shaped with your health and you will soon be in debt. You would then be on here whining and complaining about the unfair insurance and their exclusions.

over a year ago

Nope, I pay far more into the system than I get out. This is actually quite normal if you bothered to do some research instead of posting the first thought that comes into your head. So let's square up, go completely insurance based. Just give me my refund. I'll be quids in for another 20 years minimum.

That will be the case for many but you are relatively young. You only need something to go a bit pear shaped with your health and you will soon be in debt. You would then be on here whining and complaining about the unfair insurance and their exclusions."

Someone should really invent a mathematical concept to calculate that kind of thing

As I said, your side is the one proposing this. I'm just saying I'm absolutely fine with the principle. Just don't stop at covid.

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

"This could work if it was specific

Do you have Covid?

Yes

Have you had the vaccination?

No

Tough shit

However, what would be inhumane is the following example

Do you have Covid?

No, my leg is broken

In that case your vaccination status is moot

And to those who say the unvaccinated shouldn't be allowed in as they're a transmission risk factor, as even vaccinated can transmit the virus your argument is weak, like the compassion you like to boast about"

It's only related to covid care.

So if your unvaxxed and break your leg you get treated no issue.

It's specifically if the unvaxxed through choice need covid related care then they pay for it.

However those very people believe they have such a tiny risk they decide against the vax so really this is a case of put your money where your mouth is in essence.

It's been driven because the ICUs are clogged up with lots of unvaxxed in Singapore which mos casest could have been easily avoided had they taken up the jab.

KJ

over a year ago

Nope, I pay far more into the system than I get out. This is actually quite normal if you bothered to do some research instead of posting the first thought that comes into your head. So let's square up, go completely insurance based. Just give me my refund. I'll be quids in for another 20 years minimum. "

That’s OK.

As long as you stay young.

Health insurance premiums rise with age.

If, for instance, you develop cancer, and get treated, your premiums will rise very considerably. Some insurers will not renew your policy. Then there is the deductible (in UK motor-insurance terminology, the ‘excess’) which is several thousand $. That is variable too.

By *dysseusukMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It’s not a social system then, it’s a private system. Move to the USA. And good luck Mr invincible or is it mr immortal.

By *dysseusukMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"It’s a slippery slope , because the next step is not treating all self inflicted illness such as smoking and many more "

Great idea

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan
over a year ago

City

Will they cover the costs of your funeral if the vaccine kills you? Or the cost of your cancer treatment if it causes an immune collapse?

over a year ago

" Already well under way, try getting a liver transplant if your a drinker. "

George Best managed to pickle 3 livers, his own and 2 transplants, what a legend

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan
over a year ago

City

Can't compare. Smoking will cause the sickness and avoiding smoking has no side affects

The vaccine has side affects, and not taking it does not mean you will cause yourself to get sick.

So it would be like saying "we are only gonna give lung treatment to people who vape, it safer than smoking"

And then you say "vaping carries too many risks for me, I'd rather do it my own way, I don't smoke at all"

And they say "tough luck, 80 percent of people smoke, so vape or monlung treatment"

over a year ago

That’s OK.

As long as you stay young.

Health insurance premiums rise with age.

If, for instance, you develop cancer, and get treated, your premiums will rise very considerably. Some insurers will not renew your policy. Then there is the deductible (in UK motor-insurance terminology, the ‘excess’) which is several thousand $. That is variable too."

It's OK as long as I save the money while I'm young, but when I look at how much tax i pay - yeah I can buy a lot of healthcare with that when the time comes.

over a year ago

It’s not a social system then, it’s a private system. Move to the USA. And good luck Mr invincible or is it mr immortal. "

No it's not a social system if you start excluding the people who pay for it.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

This is something that really annoys me….

I know your are being very blasé about it… but it all actually adds up… every hospital stay, every A&E visit, every dental appointment, every ambulance you have taken, every GP visit, every prescription you have had! (And before you say you pay …. They are subsided!)

You might be quids in now…. Say if you found out you had cancer tomorrow, how much do you think that would cost to treat? ( what you will find is that you are normally only covered up to a certain value!)

You are paying actually not as much as a percentage of your wages as a lot of countries do… so stop being such a tit!!!

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

"Makes sense "

Course it does. If you want the NHS to be PAYG and everyone to fund the unfortunate outcomes of their own actions and decisions because that's where it will end. Once we arrive at that point there'll be no going back so think carefully about what you wish for and what you might turn out to be liable for in the future.

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

I understand your sentiment but sadly no one knows when they will need care.

So you pay nothing for healthcare while you are a young healthy man but sadly, in retirement, you develop a chronic ailment, unless you have substantial savings, you will be at the mercy of your non existing healthcare system.

Like most things, the reality is somewhat more complicated than a quick chat on line or in the pub but both great fun.

Personally, I do believe the future will bring a 2 tier health system.

One for paid surgery like hip, knee surgery and another for chronic ailments paid for by a smaller health service.

I hope I'm wrong but can't really see it going any other way.

over a year ago

"Makes sense

Course it does. If you want the NHS to be PAYG and everyone to fund the unfortunate outcomes of their own actions and decisions because that's where it will end. Once we arrive at that point there'll be no going back so think carefully about what you wish for and what you might turn out to be liable for in the future."

That's already here.

All NHS hospitals have "PAYG" (paying-patient).

In all regions of England, if you want a procedure (cataract treatment etc) it is a lot faster to pay for it (1 month for PAYG, 4 years for wait-and-hope)(catarct).

Hip/joint replacement?

Years on NHS wait-and-hope, a few months on "give us £6000".

Quite a few treatments are no longer available via the NHS, free.

Other treatments are no longer available at many local hospitals. people have to travel a long way, in my town, for cancer treatment. 140 miles round trip. With the queues being very long, many die prematurely from treatable tumours, because treatment is delayed.

We are past the "there's no going back" point.

The stealth-execution of the NHS got into top gear in the Health and Social Care Reform act 2012. the Health reform Bill, about to be law soon, will transfer control to Accountable Care organisations, you will no longer have hospital treatment available at all times, for free.

over a year ago

Oh, and the NHS pension is being altered as well.

Obviously, when all hospitals are solely operated as a business, the staff will be disconnected from the NHS group pension.

Meanwhile, I'm currently investigating:

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/what-is-a-personal-health-budget/

Hopefully, the NHS website is sufficiently trusted for me to not get banned!

over a year ago

This is something that really annoys me….

I know your are being very blasé about it… but it all actually adds up… every hospital stay, every A&E visit, every dental appointment, every ambulance you have taken, every GP visit, every prescription you have had! (And before you say you pay …. They are subsided!)

You might be quids in now…. Say if you found out you had cancer tomorrow, how much do you think that would cost to treat? ( what you will find is that you are normally only covered up to a certain value!)

You are paying actually not as much as a percentage of your wages as a lot of countries do… so stop being such a tit!!!"

Not being a socialist doesn't make me a tit. I actually understand economics and probability. As I say, your side suggested this and I'm perfecy happy with the principle. Also you are the sick one who almost certainly takes more out the system than me, so a 'thank you' is in order because I'm subsiding you.

over a year ago

Nice to know some are selfish.....

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

It’s not a social system then, it’s a private system. Move to the USA. And good luck Mr invincible or is it mr immortal. "

I have a mate who was exactly like this poster fit & healthy, never ill and use to say all the same things about not needing any health care, not needing the NHS etc. Then at just 29 years of age in May of this year and out of nowhere he was struck down with olfactory neuroblastoma. After going through months of Chemo he was then transferred to Manchester for Photontherapy only to find out 2 weeks into the 5 week treatment plan that his cancer is sadly terminal.

Unfortunately none of us are "Mr invincible / Mr Immortal" lets hope his self-assured hubris isn't misplaced.

KJ

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

" Already well under way, try getting a liver transplant if your a drinker.

George Best managed to pickle 3 livers, his own and 2 transplants, what a legend "

I wonder why they stopped doing it ?

Maybe it was George Best who led to the reviews

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"Makes sense

Course it does. If you want the NHS to be PAYG and everyone to fund the unfortunate outcomes of their own actions and decisions because that's where it will end. Once we arrive at that point there'll be no going back so think carefully about what you wish for and what you might turn out to be liable for in the future."

Spot on.

over a year ago

This is the school of thought that said smokers shouldn't get heal care for lung or cancer issues and so on. We can't be selective in what care is allowed based on our life choices. Or every single one of us will have something denied them because they don't swim enough, or stand up for long enough each day, or get enough sunlight because we work in offices, or , or ... etc

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Anyone advocating the UK moving to a US style insurance system is hugely naive.

Good luck with getting cover for any pre-existing or hereditary illnesses. Get ready to remortgage or sell your home when you read the small print and realise what other excesses or exclusions there are. Nice affordable premiums to start with when you are young and healthy and unlikely to make a claim but just watch those premiums rise as your risk profile increases with age.

The ONLY people who do well out of an insurance based systems are the super rich who can afford the premiums and the people selling the insurance.

Universal healthcare should be the cornerstone of a civilised caring society. If people start bleating on about only paying for what you use, then where do we stop? No kids so don’t pay tax towards education? Don’t drive so no investment from my taxes on roads? Not very likely to be affected by a terrorist attack so no funding for MI5 or Counter Terrorism.

As for Singapore - I simply don’t agree with that. I get/understand the sentiment but as others have said, it sets an interesting precedent for other self inflicted/life choice impacts requiring health treatment.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

But that's the point. As you age you will start to have more health issues. And don't forget a nasty accident will bankrupt you in this scenario. Most of the people who go bankrupt due to medical emergencies in the states had insurance but the out of pocket costs can be horrendous. Be very careful what you wish for.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Hey I have an idea. Why not make National Insurance actually a bit more like an insurance!

Over the years as you pay in that money is put into a savings account to build up a pot that you can dip into when you need a medical treatment.

Now clearly if you are poor or low paid then you won’t have a very big pot but then the advice will be don’t get sick because the money will run out super quick. However, the richer you are the bigger your pot so chances are you should be fine!

Oh and if you are a kid, well tough luck unless your parents are willing to transfer some/all of their pot over to you (and keep fingers crossed about themselves staying healthy).

Then of course if you never got ill or needed any treatment, then maybe at, I dunno 100 with a birthday card from the King, you get to withdraw the money and have a massive party!

over a year ago

"

What is a personal health budget?

A personal health budget is an amount of money to support your health and wellbeing needs, which is planned and agreed between you (or someone who represents you), and your local NHS team. It is not new money, but it may mean spending money differently so that you can get the care that you need.

A personal health budget allows you to manage your healthcare and support such as treatments, equipment and personal care, in a way that suits you"

over a year ago

"

But that's the point. As you age you will start to have more health issues. And don't forget a nasty accident will bankrupt you in this scenario. Most of the people who go bankrupt due to medical emergencies in the states had insurance but the out of pocket costs can be horrendous. Be very careful what you wish for. "

Even if you have insurance, the care provider will want to know if you can pay the deductible (USA-speak, the same as the vehicle insurance EXCESS in UK).

My insurance premium for a one month visit to the USA was quoted as $1700. The annual premium was $32,000 (age/conditions).

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

People who go on about private healthcare know one thing.

When it gets out of hand and they can no longer afford it guess what!

The good old NHS will look after them

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

In the USA approximately 530,000 people are declared bankrupt every year due to medical bills.

Much of that is due to deductibles (excess).

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Ludicrous! X

over a year ago

Herne Bay

"In the USA approximately 530,000 people are declared bankrupt every year due to medical bills.

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in."

In the USA do you get free health care when you retire ?

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

That's a great idea. You just have to hope you don't get seriously ill and have to pay out thousands in medical bills. But then if you can't pay they should just turn you away.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"In the USA approximately 530,000 people are declared bankrupt every year due to medical bills.

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in. In the USA do you get free health care when you retire ? "

Only if you qualify for Medicaid so if you are “middle income” (a very wide band) forget it.

Not sure what is behind your question though? You aren’t seriously advocating a US style health insurance approach for the UK are you?

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

It’s not a social system then, it’s a private system. Move to the USA. And good luck Mr invincible or is it mr immortal.

No it's not a social system if you start excluding the people who pay for it. "

I'm going to get a ban for this, but someone has to say it. This guy is a complete dork.

over a year ago

We should be doing that here…

over a year ago

Herne Bay

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in. In the USA do you get free health care when you retire ?

Only if you qualify for Medicaid so if you are “middle income” (a very wide band) forget it.

Not sure what is behind your question though? You aren’t seriously advocating a US style health insurance approach for the UK are you?"

No was just interested what people do once there income from working stops ,

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS
over a year ago

doncaster

Completely agree with Singapore's stance , the UK should do the same !

By *ombikerMan
over a year ago

the right side of the river

They should also do the same for adverse effects of the jab because it was their choice to take the jab. Also for smokers and drinkers. Also anyone involved in a car crash because if they had been more careful they would not have crashed. Also for maternity hospitals, it was their choice to have a baby.

In fact everything except getting struck by lightning

over a year ago

The flip side to the extreme arguments are the state shouldn't have a say in what is covered and so should cover all boob jobs etc

Imo there are two reasons why we aren't quite at the slippery slope

1) very easy to define if you are jabbed or not

2) very easy to say that you have covid, which the jab is there to try and prevent / reduce the effects of.

over a year ago

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in. In the USA do you get free health care when you retire ?

Not sure what is behind your question though? You aren’t seriously advocating a US style health insurance approach for the UK are you?"

Medicare is for oldies and some disabled.

Medicaid is for low-income people/families.

over a year ago

Also, while you may be able to afford the premiums when you are young, fit and healthy, once you do have to make a claim for something that then becomes a pre-existing condition. That means you won’t be able to move to another insurance firm and the one you are with can and will start to increase your premiums and you are locked in. In the USA do you get free health care when you retire ? "

No.

Medicare may provide 50% of the cost.

over a year ago

Herne Bay

"Completely agree with Singapore's stance , the UK should do the same ! "
So you like the slippery slope ?

By *r naughty1Man
over a year ago

Bexley

What happens if someone who is un vaxxed ill are they gonna let them die if they can't afford treatment then?

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

"They should also do the same for adverse effects of the jab because it was their choice to take the jab. Also for smokers and drinkers. Also anyone involved in a car crash because if they had been more careful they would not have crashed. Also for maternity hospitals, it was their choice to have a baby.

In fact everything except getting struck by lightning "

But they are probably sinners anyway

over a year ago

“We have to continue to try to keep this number as small as possible,” he said, since health care workers “continue to be stretched.”

What happens if someone who is un vaxxed ill are they gonna let them die if they can't afford treatment then? "

from my understanding there is an some reduction in costs for the very poor. Many Singaporeans also have governmwnt sponsored manadatory savings they may be allowed to used.

But the argument will be that if you are are worried about costs, go get vaxxed.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

What happens if someone who is un vaxxed ill are they gonna let them die if they can't afford treatment then? "

There are countries where if you don’t have any funds you will be at the mercy of a charity hospital if you can get in.

Or yes you will die

People just don’t realise just how lucky they are living in the uk

By *i winkersCouple
over a year ago

manchester

Honestly reading this has made me sadder and sadder going through the comments.

The problem we have is we withdraw treatment from unvaccinated you are just backing people into a corner and it’s going to get more and more nasty. Look at the Netherlands at the moment.

If the UK was like the US then I would probably be dead, I’m type 1 diabetic only been diagnosed a year. The medication I get on the nhs each month which saves my life costs my US equivalent $1000 that’s their excess. My insulin needs are completely elastic sometimes I need more and others I need less.

I read heartbreaking Facebook posts from Americans about them having to ration their insulin and almost slowly killing themselves because they can’t afford anymore insulin. I wouldn’t be alive today without the NHS.

Then there’s the cancer treatments I have seen fit and healthy friends with no other ailments have to go through cancer treatments in late 20s and early 30s. They wouldn’t have the money in the systems above to pay for their treatments and you’re arrogant if you think it won’t affect you. I think it’s now up to 1 in 3 people I lost my sister at age 38 she was diagnosed at 33 was probably the healthiest she had ever been when diagnosed. She got 5 extra years with her children thanks to the NHS.

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

"Honestly reading this has made me sadder and sadder going through the comments.

The problem we have is we withdraw treatment from unvaccinated you are just backing people into a corner and it’s going to get more and more nasty. Look at the Netherlands at the moment.

If the UK was like the US then I would probably be dead, I’m type 1 diabetic only been diagnosed a year. The medication I get on the nhs each month which saves my life costs my US equivalent $1000 that’s their excess. My insulin needs are completely elastic sometimes I need more and others I need less.

I read heartbreaking Facebook posts from Americans about them having to ration their insulin and almost slowly killing themselves because they can’t afford anymore insulin. I wouldn’t be alive today without the NHS.

Then there’s the cancer treatments I have seen fit and healthy friends with no other ailments have to go through cancer treatments in late 20s and early 30s. They wouldn’t have the money in the systems above to pay for their treatments and you’re arrogant if you think it won’t affect you. I think it’s now up to 1 in 3 people I lost my sister at age 38 she was diagnosed at 33 was probably the healthiest she had ever been when diagnosed. She got 5 extra years with her children thanks to the NHS. "

That has put everything into perspective.

While we don't support mandatory vaccination everyone should think about others and do their bit for society. We should all be helping to keep hospital beds free for those don't have a choice.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"They should also do the same for adverse effects of the jab because it was their choice to take the jab. Also for smokers and drinkers. Also anyone involved in a car crash because if they had been more careful they would not have crashed. Also for maternity hospitals, it was their choice to have a baby.

But they are probably sinners anyway "

Well if they are on this site then very likely sinners!!!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Well if they are on this site then very likely sinners!!!"

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun"

over a year ago

In fact everything except getting struck by lightning "

False equivalence. Strawman arguement.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Well if they are on this site then very likely sinners!!!

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun""

been saints for waaaaay too long, time for some serious sin (although for us maybe just wait a tad longer to see what pans out this time!)

over a year ago

Fat, drug abuse, self-inflicted wounds and smoking are not contagious to others.

By *heekybrummiemonkeysCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

So I assume they will have to then extend the same rules to obesity related illness, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, smokers and other self inflicted illnesses. Because obviously they can’t just punish those related to Covid?

Fat, drug abuse, self-inflicted wounds and smoking are not contagious to others."

But they still take up beds and impact others that way! And the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission anyway.

My god it’s frightening how many nut cases there are who’d be happy for people to die without treatment just because they don’t what a bloody vaccine. Absolute psychos.

over a year ago

Herne Bay

[Removed by poster at 24/11/21 13:25:41]

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Where would it end? "

Just like a lot of Europe then. They charge for ambulances as well.

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

Well if they are on this site then very likely sinners!!!"

Are you suggesting swinging (i.e. genuine swinging with full openness / disclosure / trust

between partners and all parties) is a sin?

Or removing any religious connotation are you saying swinging is in someway wrong?

KJ

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

With rights come responsibility. For a person to be infected with something that can easily be transmitted to others I have no problem with this.

Consider the fit as you like individual, not over weight, non smoker, double vaccinated etc who is knocked off his bike whilst exercising and is in need of a ITU bed. Now, if that bed is blocked by someone who thought it their right for no other reason not to be vaccinated, kick said person out of bed???

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Or draw a line in the sand, note individuals preferences and when a virus strikes that kills 90% of those that get infected, the state should refuse to vaccinate them.

I bet some of those refusing vaccine now will beg to be at the front of the queue.

Many on here remember a virus that killed 99.99% of those infected until treatment intervened, so yes, deadly viruses still exist.

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

With rights come responsibility. For a person to be infected with something that can easily be transmitted to others I have no problem with this.

Consider the fit as you like individual, not over weight, non smoker, double vaccinated etc who is knocked off his bike whilst exercising and is in need of a ITU bed. Now, if that bed is blocked by someone who thought it their right for no other reason not to be vaccinated, kick said person out of bed??? "

Shall we prioritise all of health services like this? I'm fit, bang on healthy bodyweight/low bodyfat, don't smoke, don't drink a lot, eat relatively healthy 90% of the time and I'm vaccinated. Does that mean I can jump the queue over anyone that doesn't tick those boxes.

Also where do we draw the line with vaccinations, I don't get the flu jab, should I be refused medical treatment despite paying a fuckload of tax yearly? Flu kills a lot of people too.

I'll happily take a refund for all my unused services if they want to head down that route considering I haven't saw my doctor in 20 years and my last dentist appointment left me in so much pain I went private afterwards anyway.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"Makes sense

KJ

"

Should be the same here. Think you might be a zero out on your figures. ICU in the US is between $200,000 and $1,000,000 depending on length of stay. I heard the UK was averaging around £450,000+ equivalent cost per stay.

I fully agree, no vaccine, no free treatment as its not fair on the rest that pay their taxes, behave responsibility to others while put wearing masks and have had all the jabs.

Nearly EVERYONE in need of ICU is non vaccinated, except for immune compromised others.

Example: Our local hospital had had over 20x unvaxxed pregnant mothers brought in for planned C Section in order for the COVID infected mother to be taken into ICU and knocked-out.

40 to 50% of these mothers are now DEAD, as they did not make it. The sanme hospital has not had a single case of mother needing C Section prior to COVID treatment where a mother has had vaccines.

Was is really worth not taking the teeny risk of a reaction that could be treated over leaving a child without a mother?

over a year ago

The difference with smoking and obesity is that it is not as simple to reverse (damage) or risk as with refusal to take the vaccine. But the drinking/smoking/eating abusers will one day have to pay something too I expect. At least the first two categories have paid a LOT of tax into the system already. Anti vaxers have not (specifically for covid that is).

over a year ago

Yep, I owe the NHS upwards of £200k for cancer treatment over the last 5 years, and I haven’t received an invoice. "

And this is why we need a socially funded system! Majority are happy to pay in in the hope that they never need it - but that it is there for those that do. Having money diverted to spend on covid because someone saw a video on youtube is not the best use of public funds.

over a year ago

Yep, I owe the NHS upwards of £200k for cancer treatment over the last 5 years, and I haven’t received an invoice.

And this is why we need a socially funded system! Majority are happy to pay in in the hope that they never need it - but that it is there for those that do. Having money diverted to spend on covid because someone saw a video on youtube is not the best use of public funds. "

What video would that be?

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

Presumably those unvaccinated who've paod into the system won't be asked to pay for the vaccinated who're receiving treatment despite being jabbed.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

It's highly ironic that many of those who reckon they're devoted to the NHS remaining publicly funded and free at the point of delivery seem to be in favour of the sort of 'discrimination' in treatment which is a feature of private healthcare.

over a year ago

"It's highly ironic that many of those who reckon they're devoted to the NHS remaining publicly funded and free at the point of delivery seem to be in favour of the sort of 'discrimination' in treatment which is a feature of private healthcare."

There’s a difference ideologically from believing in a social healthcare that is free at the point of delivery to all…. And believing that everyone in society should be able to be entirely reckless and continue ti be able to abuse the system when the means to support change exists. The two positions are not mutually exclusive. The key is the degree of rapidity and the ease of accommodating and reacting to change.

Vaccine refusal on non medical grounds can be easily adapted. People can change mind “quickly”.

Someone who’s at risk of diabetes because they’ve had a few too many doughnuts might need more time to adapt.

But facts are that unless some tough choices are made then there simply won’t be enough money to go around. And of some of the expenditure can be avoided by encouraging changes them why not?

Is it not how cancer is treated? Cut out the bad to preserve the whole? Let NICE determine where society gets the best bang for buck on treatment?

Either that or make big macs £12k like a packet of cigs.

By *ungry CatCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

More people will die at home.

Great idea

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Those that want people to be charged or denied treatment, what are you thoughts on treating very premature babies or babies/children with complex medical needs ? Many if these individuals need ongoing care and support involving health, education and housing.

By *d6869Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Also, if medical assistance is refused die to personal choice, then other personal choices should also come with such consequences

For instance, obesity is a huge indicator of how vulnerable you can be to Covid. So should medical care be restricted to people who are too fat? (I'll ignore such weak excuses as obesity is a disease. It's not. Being obese us largely due to poor life choices"

I agree

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"It's highly ironic that many of those who reckon they're devoted to the NHS remaining publicly funded and free at the point of delivery seem to be in favour of the sort of 'discrimination' in treatment which is a feature of private healthcare."

Self inflicted - Did the NHS not start charging for being treated for being d*unk? Not sure if they still do.

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

"Makes sense

KJ

Should be the same here. Think you might be a zero out on your figures. ICU in the US is between $200,000 and $1,000,000 depending on length of stay. I heard the UK was averaging around £450,000+ equivalent cost per stay.

I fully agree, no vaccine, no free treatment as its not fair on the rest that pay their taxes, behave responsibility to others while put wearing masks and have had all the jabs.

Nearly EVERYONE in need of ICU is non vaccinated, except for immune compromised others.

Example: Our local hospital had had over 20x unvaxxed pregnant mothers brought in for planned C Section in order for the COVID infected mother to be taken into ICU and knocked-out.

40 to 50% of these mothers are now DEAD, as they did not make it. The sanme hospital has not had a single case of mother needing C Section prior to COVID treatment where a mother has had vaccines.

Was is really worth not taking the teeny risk of a reaction that could be treated over leaving a child without a mother?

"

Do you have some links and sources to that info you provided? Genuinely curious to find out more.

KJ

Post new Message to Thread