Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Covid: Austria introduces lockdown for unvaccinated

Jump to newest

By *J OP   Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

Covid: Austria introduces lockdown for unvaccinated

It looks like the 1st country to implement a lock down specifically for the unvaxx only has gone ahead and done it today.

"Unvaccinated people will only be permitted to leave home for limited reasons, like working or buying food."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59283128

If this actually makes a difference (to the countries rates of hospitalizations and deaths) will other countries like Russia who have very low vax take up possibly follow suit?

KJ

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

And Singapore have introduced no vaccine? Then pay for your own healthcare

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

How are they planning on checking/enforcing this?

It seems a very disturbing and discriminatory policy which could only further deepen existing divisions.

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

Seems fair to us.

Reply privately

By *J OP   Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

"How are they planning on checking/enforcing this?

It seems a very disturbing and discriminatory policy which could only further deepen existing divisions."

Very much like the 1st UK lock down.

They are spot checking people out on the street, if your not any of genuinely within a travel radius of your local supermarket to your home, travelling to work which can be confirmed by your employer (like the 1st UK lockdown some employers are issuing official letters stating expected shift / travel times and role within the company to unvaxxed staff, I had one of these last year which was checked by police a couple of times without issue last year).

If you can't prove essential travel to work, travel to your local supermarket and your unvaxxed then your fined.

Pretty much the same as previous lockdowns here and in Europe the difference this time is if your vaccinated it doesn't apply.

KJ

Reply privately

By *igNick1381Man
over a year ago

BRIDGEND

Remember when people likened Covid passports to carry out day to day life was a conspiracy theory

Well, 'show us your papers' is here and as seen above some people are fine with it

'Seems fair to us' sound's an awful lot like 'its only the Jews'

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It seems a very disturbing and discriminatory policy which could only further deepen existing divisions."

This is very bad.

Reply privately

By *ally dugsCouple
over a year ago

Motherwell

What if all unvaxed people stay home and the numbers still go up should they put all people in lockdown again

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

This -

"Seems fair to us."

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

It seems a very disturbing and discriminatory policy which could only further deepen existing divisions.

They are spot checking people out on the street, if your not any of genuinely within a travel radius of your local supermarket to your home, travelling to work which can be confirmed by your employer (like the 1st UK lockdown some employers are issuing official letters stating expected shift / travel times and role within the company to unvaxxed staff, I had one of these last year which was checked by police a couple of times without issue last year).

If you can't prove essential travel to work, travel to your local supermarket and your unvaxxed then your fined.

Pretty much the same as previous lockdowns here and in Europe the difference this time is if your vaccinated it doesn't apply.

KJ"

I am assuming then that the Austrian police have solved all the serious and dangerous crime in the country if they have the time to be spot checking people in the street.

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Remember when people likened Covid passports to carry out day to day life was a conspiracy theory

Well, 'show us your papers' is here and as seen above some people are fine with it

'Seems fair to us' sound's an awful lot like 'its only the Jews'"

It’s nothing like that! A ridiculous statement. In previous years where the flu season was particularly bad my work place would actively tell people to stay at home until they were feeling better - large open plan offices and public transport meant the flu virus was having a field day. It didn’t mean we were treating people unfairly.

“It’s only the Jews” - that’s a horrible statement.

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

KJ

I am assuming then that the Austrian police have solved all the serious and dangerous crime in the country if they have the time to be spot checking people in the street."

I don’t think the Austrians give a toss what you think and that’s a silly statement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It should be pretty easy to enforce with the EU Green Pass. I'm actually fine with it, your right to spread infectious disease stops at your front door.

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

KJ

I am assuming then that the Austrian police have solved all the serious and dangerous crime in the country if they have the time to be spot checking people in the street.

I don’t think the Austrians give a toss what you think and that’s a silly statement. "

It's a deliberately silly statement to match a silly policy.

Yes, people (Vax and in Vax) should stay home if they have symptoms or been in contact with someone carrying the virus. But as has been established being vaccinated does not stop one from spreading it and given that the effectiveness of vaccine only lasts for about half a year I really only see more drawbacks than positives to creating and encouraging a two tier society.

Reply privately

over a year ago

KJ

I don’t think the Austrians give a toss what you think and that’s a silly statement.

It's a deliberately silly statement to match a silly policy.

Yes, people (Vax and in Vax) should stay home if they have symptoms or been in contact with someone carrying the virus. But as has been established being vaccinated does not stop one from spreading it and given that the effectiveness of vaccine only lasts for about half a year I really only see more drawbacks than positives to creating and encouraging a two tier society.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

It will be quicker if the vaccinated people have to wear a placard round their necks displaying their vaccination status.

Everyone without a placard will then be herded back home and ordered to stay indoors.

Reply privately

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Herne Bay

But the vaccinated can still transmit Covid and can still catch it , this is just bully boy tactics , so much for freedom of choice in a democracy

Reply privately

By *J OP   Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

"But the vaccinated can still transmit Covid and can still catch it , this is just bully boy tactics , so much for freedom of choice in a democracy "

You do realise that whilst those vaccinated can still pass on covid the chance of then doing this is drastically lower than compared with the transmission potential of the unvaxxed. Its this data that's driving these policies.

Singapore has now said from December the unvaxxed will have to pay all their covid related medical costs. Which if it involves a trip to icu or similar could set you back approx £18000.

KJ

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

"Remember when people likened Covid passports to carry out day to day life was a conspiracy theory

'Seems fair to us' sound's an awful lot like 'its only the Jews'"

How dare you accuse us of being antisemetic

This is is nothing like Nazis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It's exactly like the nazis. The nazis blamed the Jews for spreading Typhus to help justify segregating off from the rest of society and the mindless public believed it then just like all you lot here who never think about natural immunity.

Reply privately

By *an JuniperoCouple
over a year ago

North East

"

"

They didn’t gas the Jews on the first day you know. This is how it started. And people you just allowed it to happen because it didn’t negatively effect you.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Will it push some to get a vaccine? I think that's part of the desire behind this. Some countries are now in a perilous state, with hospitals close to capacity, in large part due to the unvaccinated getting - avoidably - very ill.

If they get vaccinated, they can each potentially prevent their death this winter

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's exactly like the nazis. The nazis blamed the Jews for spreading Typhus to help justify segregating off from the rest of society and the mindless public believed it then just like all you lot here who never think about natural immunity."

Not quite the same. Non vaxxers are self selective.

I'm still working through my position on this but while part fo me is uncomfortable, I can see an argument to say if noone did anything, hospitals would be sunk. Each person is being asked how to help here ... Get vaxxed or stay at home.

Of course, its a broad brush approach given age related risks. But "segregation" by age feels a more slippery slope so that's the cost.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Herne Bay

"Will it push some to get a vaccine? I think that's part of the desire behind this. Some countries are now in a perilous state, with hospitals close to capacity, in large part due to the unvaccinated getting - avoidably - very ill.

If they get vaccinated, they can each potentially prevent their death this winter "

Think you are right , why don’t that just say this ? get vaccinated because hospitals can’t cope as they are at full capacity , they usually are every winter

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's exactly like the nazis. The nazis blamed the Jews for spreading Typhus to help justify segregating off from the rest of society and the mindless public believed it then just like all you lot here who never think about natural immunity.

Not quite the same. Non vaxxers are self selective.

I'm still working through my position on this but while part fo me is uncomfortable, I can see an argument to say if noone did anything, hospitals would be sunk. Each person is being asked how to help here ... Get vaxxed or stay at home.

Of course, its a broad brush approach given age related risks. But "segregation" by age feels a more slippery slope so that's the cost.

"

The Jews weren't responsible for Typhus and the unvaccinated aren't responsible for covid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Will it push some to get a vaccine? I think that's part of the desire behind this. Some countries are now in a perilous state, with hospitals close to capacity, in large part due to the unvaccinated getting - avoidably - very ill.

If they get vaccinated, they can each potentially prevent their death this winter Think you are right , why don’t that just say this ? get vaccinated because hospitals can’t cope as they are at full capacity , they usually are every winter "

The hospitals are full of fully vaccinated covid patients. Austrias vaccination rate isn't much lower than ours. 64% vs 68%.

Reply privately

By *umalotagainMan
over a year ago

a town called malice

Austria relies heavily on winter tourism, if they can’t get the numbers down and it stops another ski season the whole economy of the country will be devastated

Time we did similar over here

Reply privately

over a year ago

They'll be inviting people to the showers next

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

"

They didn’t gas the Jews on the first day you know. This is how it started. And people you just allowed it to happen because it didn’t negatively effect you. "

Are you suggesting that the government is going to exterminate the un-vaxed. If this is meant to be a joke it's not funny and in poor taste.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

They didn’t gas the Jews on the first day you know. This is how it started. And people you just allowed it to happen because it didn’t negatively effect you.

Are you suggesting that the government is going to exterminate the un-vaxed. If this is meant to be a joke it's not funny and in poor taste."

Maybe pick up a history book and learn the process they went through, which took over a decade. In 2019 it was inconceivable that the government would place healthy people under house arrest, collapse the economy and fire workers who refuse a vaccine, but here we are with most of you cheering them every step of the way.

Reply privately

By *an JuniperoCouple
over a year ago

North East

"

Are you suggesting that the government is going to exterminate the un-vaxed. If this is meant to be a joke it's not funny and in poor taste."

While it’s incredibly unlikely that we’ll see the return of gas chambers it certainly seems plausible that we aren’t too far away from the total removal of certain people from society.

Unvaccinated Austrians banned from everywhere except shops and work, so the next step is ban them from shops and work. Won’t be difficult to implement if the current restrictions are supported enough.

Another country but another example; quarantine camps in Australia for international travellers also have the capacity to be used for total ostracisation should the government decide that’s what they want to do.

Like I said, the exterminations came last. It’s seems unlikely that history will repeat itself to that extent but you never know. Either way, won’t bother you will it? It’s just the unvaccinated.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It was said to me by an unvaccinated man

"Why should I suffer for the likes of you?"

My reply now is "Why should I suffer for the likes of you! I don't see why as a tax payer, I should have to meet their health care costs because they have chosen not to take it. Their right. But my equal right to protect me and not foot the bill for others!

I prefer to follow prof medical advise. Not google doctors, or those who will not take the vaccine, but will fill their faces with enough Botox to give them fish lips.

I don't think unvaccinated should be allow to travel abroad at all.

The unvaccinated say that there is some underhanded plan? Well, if I die as a result of this protection, I am glad I will not be left with the selfish, arrogant people who will be left. Like the vile man who I have helped when he needed it, for him to turn round and say such a thing to me. What a nasty selfish place this world would turn into

Reply privately

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

"But the vaccinated can still transmit Covid and can still catch it , this is just bully boy tactics , so much for freedom of choice in a democracy "

I understand your point.

However, it’s not so much about who can transmit the virus, but more to do with the fact that it’s mostly the unvaccinated filling up their ICU units.

So by reducing the interactions of the unvaccinated, they become less likely to catch the virus and end up overwhelming the icu units.

I’m not arguing about the rights or wrongs of it , just presenting the ‘rational’ behind the decision.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Herne Bay

"

Are you suggesting that the government is going to exterminate the un-vaxed. If this is meant to be a joke it's not funny and in poor taste.

Maybe pick up a history book and learn the process they went through, which took over a decade. In 2019 it was inconceivable that the government would place healthy people under house arrest, collapse the economy and fire workers who refuse a vaccine, but here we are with most of you cheering them every step of the way. "

A lot on the forums of Fab but not in real life , most people are now waking up to what you said just does not seem like it on Fabs virus forum

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It was said to me by an unvaccinated man

"Why should I suffer for the likes of you?"

My reply now is "Why should I suffer for the likes of you! I don't see why as a tax payer, I should have to meet their health care costs because they have chosen not to take it. Their right. But my equal right to protect me and not foot the bill for others!

I prefer to follow prof medical advise. Not google doctors, or those who will not take the vaccine, but will fill their faces with enough Botox to give them fish lips.

I don't think unvaccinated should be allow to travel abroad at all.

The unvaccinated say that there is some underhanded plan? Well, if I die as a result of this protection, I am glad I will not be left with the selfish, arrogant people who will be left. Like the vile man who I have helped when he needed it, for him to turn round and say such a thing to me. What a nasty selfish place this world would turn into"

Anyone could make the same arguments against smokers, obese people and alcoholics

Reply privately

By *heekybrummiemonkeysCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"

He’s suggesting that in very small stages it’s easy for the government to persuade some people that disgusting vile actions, like segregation, are ok. 2 years ago people would have been horrified. Now some are cheering it on. Gross.

Rewind a few months and vaccine passports were justified by some people by saying “you’re hardly going to be banned from going out, it’s just nightclubs”. Now the next stage comes in Austria. Boil the frog slowly……

Ask yourself this, where will we be in another 18 months…..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone could make the same arguments against smokers, obese people and alcoholics

The difference is they are only going to kill themselves NOT me

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"

No one called you anti Semitic. But you’re pro segregation which is pretty darn gross.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyone could make the same arguments against smokers, obese people and alcoholics

The difference is they are only going to kill themselves NOT me "

Why? Doesn't your vaccine work?

Reply privately

By *azylivingMan
over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

"And Singapore have introduced no vaccine? Then pay for your own healthcare "

We do pay for our healthcare through our taxation system

Reply privately

over a year ago

Herne Bay

"Anyone could make the same arguments against smokers, obese people and alcoholics

The vaccine protects you after you have had it what is your risk ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Really? Is that what you took from that?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Really? Is that what you took from that?! "

There’s no hope for some now. They actually think segregating society is the virtuous position. It’s incredible.

Imagine what they’ll be calling for in another 18 months… they’ll probably want unvaccinated locked in their house with only basic food parcels delivered.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But your vaccine is preventing that, no? Whether you catch it or not?

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s no hope for some now. They actually think segregating society is the virtuous position. It’s incredible.

Imagine what they’ll be calling for in another 18 months… they’ll probably want unvaccinated locked in their house with only basic food parcels delivered."

Noam Chomsky argued against sending food to the segregated...

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If they get vaccinated, they can each potentially prevent their death this winter Think you are right , why don’t that just say this ? get vaccinated because hospitals can’t cope as they are at full capacity , they usually are every winter

The hospitals are full of fully vaccinated covid patients. Austrias vaccination rate isn't much lower than ours. 64% vs 68%. "

I think it's higher levels of people not vaccinated in some areas that are causing significant issues, above and beyond the overall level. Those who are not vaccinated will typically require greater levels of hospital care as well as die. If more vaccinate now, it could help the health services cope much better during their toughest part of the year.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If they get vaccinated, they can each potentially prevent their death this winter Think you are right , why don’t that just say this ? get vaccinated because hospitals can’t cope as they are at full capacity , they usually are every winter

The hospitals are full of fully vaccinated covid patients. Austrias vaccination rate isn't much lower than ours. 64% vs 68%.

I think it's higher levels of people not vaccinated in some areas that are causing significant issues, above and beyond the overall level. Those who are not vaccinated will typically require greater levels of hospital care as well as die. If more vaccinate now, it could help the health services cope much better during their toughest part of the year. "

Not if they have natural immunity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Imagine what they’ll be calling for in another 18 months… they’ll probably want unvaccinated locked in their house with only basic food parcels delivered.

Noam Chomsky argued against sending food to the segregated..."

Indeed, that’ll be 6 months later.

It really is frightening seeing how easily this divide and conquer has worked, the way people are so easily led to turn on others and gleefully revel in segregation. They think they’re the winners in society, age are doing the “right” thing. Imagine how much it’ll blow their mind when the government coerce something else on them that they dont want to do….

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think it's a 10 day programme. Their government will likely review how it affects vaccination rates.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It really is frightening seeing how easily this divide and conquer has worked, the way people are so easily led to turn on others and gleefully revel in segregation. They think they’re the winners in society, age are doing the “right” thing. Imagine how much it’ll blow their mind when the government coerce something else on them that they dont want to do…. "

i saw similar other worrying things off the back of brexit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"I think it's a 10 day programme. Their government will likely review how it affects vaccination rates. "

Yes, it was just a few weeks to flatten the curve… then vaccinate the vulnerable…. Then all adults… then kids…. Then ban non vax from nightclubs in some places…. Then…..???

If you can’t see the bigger picture and direction of travel yet, there’s no hope.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think it's higher levels of people not vaccinated in some areas that are causing significant issues, above and beyond the overall level. Those who are not vaccinated will typically require greater levels of hospital care as well as die. If more vaccinate now, it could help the health services cope much better during their toughest part of the year.

Not if they have natural immunity."

Any effective immunity is better than none but it's still better to have vaccines at the right time, to ensure that the strength of the developed immunity is as good as possible.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

It really is frightening seeing how easily this divide and conquer has worked, the way people are so easily led to turn on others and gleefully revel in segregation. They think they’re the winners in society, age are doing the “right” thing. Imagine how much it’ll blow their mind when the government coerce something else on them that they dont want to do…. i saw similar other worrying things off the back of brexit.

"

Indeed. The only thing is brexit didn’t actually ban/segregate people in the same way. But it did divide.

Reply privately

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

exactly.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I think it's a 10 day programme. Their government will likely review how it affects vaccination rates.

Yes, it was just a few weeks to flatten the curve… then vaccinate the vulnerable…. Then all adults… then kids…. Then ban non vax from nightclubs in some places…. Then…..???

If you can’t see the bigger picture and direction of travel yet, there’s no hope."

Likewise. Citizens elect these people to manage their society, so we all have to keep observing and take appropriate action.

The passports have been used in several places, including the UK, so there's evidence now upon them and other mitigations that could help health services cope better.

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Since when do the english care about democracy - not Boris and his boys.

Denying Scotland a democratic right to hold a public referendum is not democratic.

Glass houses and stones.

Btw the Nigerians had stated your government is corrupt and they have proof.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"I think it's a 10 day programme. Their government will likely review how it affects vaccination rates.

If you can’t see the bigger picture and direction of travel yet, there’s no hope.

Likewise. Citizens elect these people to manage their society, so we all have to keep observing and take appropriate action.

The passports have been used in several places, including the UK, so there's evidence now upon them and other mitigations that could help health services cope better. "

There’s zero evidence they work. Germany brought them in and cases rocketed (I’m not saying that’s the cause, but they don’t work). Ireland too. Scotland has no evidence that they work. Nor Wales.

Yet still some call for them.

Just think how far we’ll be down this road in another year or two…..

Reply privately

over a year ago

It really is frightening seeing how easily this divide and conquer has worked, the way people are so easily led to turn on others and gleefully revel in segregation. They think they’re the winners in society, age are doing the “right” thing. Imagine how much it’ll blow their mind when the government coerce something else on them that they dont want to do…. i saw similar other worrying things off the back of brexit.

Indeed. The only thing is brexit didn’t actually ban/segregate people in the same way. But it did divide."

prorogation attempts and henry viii was a thin end of a thicker egde imo. Especially if the judicial system is in the crosshairs.

It's off topic, but I share a fear bad things can be done in the name of good intentions. I'm not sure where I am with this case... Partly because I haven't seen what the alternatives are. If one rule fits all, you quickly get to everyone back into lockdown.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any effective immunity is better than none but it's still better to have vaccines at the right time, to ensure that the strength of the developed immunity is as good as possible. "

No it isn't. A person with natural immunity is more likely to end up in hospital with a vaccine side effect than covid second time round. Thats increasing the problem, not reducing it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any effective immunity is better than none but it's still better to have vaccines at the right time, to ensure that the strength of the developed immunity is as good as possible.

No it isn't. A person with natural immunity is more likely to end up in hospital with a vaccine side effect than covid second time round. Thats increasing the problem, not reducing it. "

Really? State your source please.

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Ironic (or not) that the country that birthed history's most notorious dictator is the first to implement this measure worldwide...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"Ironic (or not) that the country that birthed history's most notorious dictator is the first to implement this measure worldwide..."

Indeed!

Reply privately

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

No it isn't. A person with natural immunity is more likely to end up in hospital with a vaccine side effect than covid second time round. Thats increasing the problem, not reducing it. "

Any evidence for this? As I can find zero evidence for this.

Reply privately

By *arklong88Man
over a year ago

porthmadog

Does anyone really think these measures will encourage them to get vaccinated. If they have hung on this long then this will stop them even more I would have thought.

Reply privately

By *azylivingMan
over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

No it isn't. A person with natural immunity is more likely to end up in hospital with a vaccine side effect than covid second time round. Thats increasing the problem, not reducing it.

Any evidence for this? As I can find zero evidence for this."

Minor side effects are a normal sign that the immune system is mounting a protective response following vaccination, although they aren’t universal.

24 February 2021 – by Linda Geddes

Tens of millions of people have already been vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2, and in the coming months, hundreds of millions more will follow. Many of them will experience minor adverse reactions in the hours and days after receiving each dose, such as a sore arm, mild fever, headache or fatigue. Such reactions are not only normal, usually appearing within a day or so of vaccination and disappear soon afterwards, but they may also be a sign that the vaccine is working – although you shouldn’t be alarmed if you don’t experience any adverse reactions. They may also be more common if you’ve already recovered from COVID-19 because your immune system is primed to respond to the virus – including harmless fragments of it or instructions for them, contained within vaccines.

They are nothing to be alarmed by, and merely show that the body remembers the virus and is mounting an effective response to it.

Vaccines teach the immune system to recognise and respond to a pathogen by introducing a disabled form of the virus, viral proteins or genetic instructions for making these proteins, into the body, so that the next time you encounter that pathogen, your body rapidly fights it off. This "training" process triggers some of the same immune reactions as encountering the real thing: immunological "first responder" cells release chemical messages that summon other immune cells to the injection site, as well as making the blood vessels in that area a little "leakier", to help those immune cells get to where they need to be. These immune cells then begin to mount an "adaptive" immune response, involving antibody-producing B cells and immune T cells, which destroy virus-infected cells. Together, these reactions can trigger some of the same symptoms you experience when you’re fighting off a real infection, such as fever, chills, tiredness, swollen lymph glands – as well as redness, swelling and stiffness at the injection site.

The next time you encounter the pathogen, these responses will kick in faster and stronger, because your immune system is already primed to recognise and respond to it. This is why people who have already recovered from COVID-19 may experience more of these mild reactions. They are nothing to be alarmed by, and merely show that the body remembers the virus and is mounting an effective response to it. This is similar to receiving a second dose of the vaccine; in both cases, your body was already primed to recognise the antigen either by prior infection or the first dose.

Indeed, two small studies recently suggested that people who’ve previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2 might only need a single dose of an mRNA vaccine, as they begin producing large amounts of antibodies against the virus following their first dose – although follow-up studies are needed to confirm that these immune responses were maintained over time.

How safe are COVID-19 vaccines?

One of the studies also compared the frequency of adverse reactions after the first dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine in 231 people who had either previously tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, or never been exposed to it. It found that symptoms such as pain or swelling at the injection site were similar in both groups of patients, but whole-body reactions, such as fatigue, headache, chills, fever, and muscle or joint pains, were more frequently reported by those who had recovered from COVID-19.

This fits with data from the ZOE COVID Symptom Study, which encourages participants to log their daily symptoms via a smartphone app, and has more than four million contributors globally. It found that people who have had a previous COVID-19 infection were almost twice as likely to experience one or more mild, whole-body reactions from a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, compared to those who hadn't previously tested positive.

The most common symptoms they reported were fatigue (9%), headache (8%) and chills or shivers (4%), mostly during the first two days after receiving the vaccine. However, approximately a third of those who had previously had COVID-19 reported at least one mild, whole-body reaction within seven days, compared to 19% of those who hadn’t previously had COVID-19.

People aged under 55 were more likely to experience such symptoms, and they were also more common when people received their second dose of vaccine. In most cases, these mild side effects were short-lived, with just 3% of people experiencing them beyond three days.

Educational

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

"

Maybe pick up a history book and learn the process they went through, which took over a decade. In 2019 it was inconceivable that the government would place healthy people under house arrest, collapse the economy and fire workers who refuse a vaccine, but here we are with most of you cheering them every step of the way. "

Now you are talking bollocks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"

Maybe pick up a history book and learn the process they went through, which took over a decade. In 2019 it was inconceivable that the government would place healthy people under house arrest, collapse the economy and fire workers who refuse a vaccine, but here we are with most of you cheering them every step of the way.

Now you are talking bollocks."

Nope, he’s right. They’re boiling the frog slowly. People are ok with things that would have disgusted them 2 years ago.

Look at the overall pattern. A few weeks to flatten the curve. Now 18 months later we’re sacking people for not taking a vax, segregating then from society, and many are ok with this. Austria is the biggest segregation yet. Ask yourself where we’ll be in another 18 months. How far are you prepared to go? This is a direction of travel that has no signs of stopping.

Just a few weeks to flatten the curve…..

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"But the vaccinated can still transmit Covid and can still catch it , this is just bully boy tactics , so much for freedom of choice in a democracy

I understand your point.

However, it’s not so much about who can transmit the virus, but more to do with the fact that it’s mostly the unvaccinated filling up their ICU units.

So by reducing the interactions of the unvaccinated, they become less likely to catch the virus and end up overwhelming the icu units.

I’m not arguing about the rights or wrongs of it , just presenting the ‘rational’ behind the decision. "

If we are to use the argument of lessening the burden on ICU and NHS etc then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese? Is this really a direction we want to be heading in?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But the vaccinated can still transmit Covid and can still catch it , this is just bully boy tactics , so much for freedom of choice in a democracy

I understand your point.

I’m not arguing about the rights or wrongs of it , just presenting the ‘rational’ behind the decision.

If we are to use the argument of lessening the burden on ICU and NHS etc then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese? Is this really a direction we want to be heading in?"

Since neither of those things are contagious, your logic is flawed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

I understand your point.

If we are to use the argument of lessening the burden on ICU and NHS etc then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese? Is this really a direction we want to be heading in?

Since neither of those things are contagious, your logic is flawed. "

No it’s not flawed. Read what he wrote again. Smokers and drinkers and obese people increase pressure on the nhs and ICU. It’s in a different way to covid, but their choices DO increase pressure on the nhs.

Reply privately

By *minorMan
over a year ago

deed

"Seems fair to us."

Pathetic

Reply privately

over a year ago

Herne Bay

I understand your point.

No it’s not flawed. Read what he wrote again. Smokers and drinkers and obese people increase pressure on the nhs and ICU. It’s in a different way to covid, but their choices DO increase pressure on the nhs."

Agree and once you go down that road where does it end ?

Reply privately

By *isurreyguy2019Man
over a year ago

surrey

I propose a global mass orgy so we can achieve herd immunity and help end this prolonged shit show

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any evidence for this? As I can find zero evidence for this."

What's the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine per 100,000 doses?

Reply privately

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

What's the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine per 100,000 doses?"

It's different for different vaccines and different for different ages and sexes. Myocarditis rate is a lot higher in covid patients than from any vaccine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

It's different for different vaccines and different for different ages and sexes. Myocarditis rate is a lot higher in covid patients than from any vaccine. "

Not in younger age groups/children….

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

I understand your point.

No it’s not flawed. Read what he wrote again. Smokers and drinkers and obese people increase pressure on the nhs and ICU. It’s in a different way to covid, but their choices DO increase pressure on the nhs. Agree and once you go down that road where does it end ? "

Exactly. But some can’t see the bigger picture…

Reply privately

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

Reply privately

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"Seems fair to us.

Pathetic "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I understand your point.

No it’s not flawed. Read what he wrote again. Smokers and drinkers and obese people increase pressure on the nhs and ICU. It’s in a different way to covid, but their choices DO increase pressure on the nhs."

Nope, travelling on a bus with an obese person doesn't increase anyone's risk of going to hospital due to obesity related issues. Getting on a bus with a highly contagious Covid positive person however...

Reply privately

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

It's different for different vaccines and different for different ages and sexes. Myocarditis rate is a lot higher in covid patients than from any vaccine.

Not in younger age groups/children…."

Wrong the rate is a lot closer at least in children over 5 but covid has the higher rate of myocarditis, which in most cases covid vaccine or natural isn't fatal. Very very young children have a higher chance of natural myocarditis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

I understand your point.

No it’s not flawed. Read what he wrote again. Smokers and drinkers and obese people increase pressure on the nhs and ICU. It’s in a different way to covid, but their choices DO increase pressure on the nhs.

Nope, travelling on a bus with an obese person doesn't increase anyone's risk of going to hospital due to obesity related issues. Getting on a bus with a highly contagious Covid positive person however..."

That’s not the point he was making! Read it again. The point he made is if we’re arguing about pressure on NHS/ICU as a factor. Over eating increases the risk of taking up bed space. So do we stop fat people buying more cakes?

And since you mention getting on a bus with a covid positive person, locking down healthy non vaxed and allowing out vaxed people with covid is not exactly scientific. Plus it’s segregation and it’s vile, but done are too far gone to see this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Wrong the rate is a lot closer at least in children over 5 but covid has the higher rate of myocarditis, which in most cases covid vaccine or natural isn't fatal. Very very young children have a higher chance of natural myocarditis. "

Wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/09/teenage-boys-risk-vaccines-covid/

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's different for different vaccines and different for different ages and sexes. Myocarditis rate is a lot higher in covid patients than from any vaccine. "

Pfizer, males you can pick whatever ages you have data for

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

Hot off the presses. A study published in the Lancet on October 29 of this year showed fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts.

Happy to provide link to whoever wants to read.

And yet, with all mounting evidence measures like the ones Austria just implemented are rolling out.

This is no longer about "public health". Assuming it ever was.

Reply privately

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

Wrong the rate is a lot closer at least in children over 5 but covid has the higher rate of myocarditis, which in most cases covid vaccine or natural isn't fatal. Very very young children have a higher chance of natural myocarditis.

Wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/09/teenage-boys-risk-vaccines-covid/"

It's behind a paywall. Read the recent new York times article on this. Explains the risk of heart damage of vaccines compared to covid.

Reply privately

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

I understand your point.

If we are to use the argument of lessening the burden on ICU and NHS etc then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese? Is this really a direction we want to be heading in?"

“……… then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese?……”

————————————

Well, some years ago, smoking was banned in indoor public space.

Why? To reduce the negative impact of passive smoking on non-smokers.

So yes, some restrictions have already been imposed on smokers for Heath reasons, and those restrictions are still in force.

And like said, I wasn’t arguing about whether Austria’s decision was right or wrong. I was just explaining the rationale behind their decision, ie the decision wasn’t made primarily to stop transmission, but rather to prevent the unvaccinated from filling up their ICUs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/09/teenage-boys-risk-vaccines-covid/

It's behind a paywall. Read the recent new York times article on this. Explains the risk of heart damage of vaccines compared to covid."

So you believe one article and not the other. Ok.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

Wife just told me that there are reports of unvaccinated Austrians queuing up to get vaccinated. I don't know how true that is but interesting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"Wife just told me that there are reports of unvaccinated Austrians queuing up to get vaccinated. I don't know how true that is but interesting."

Of course there are. Bullying and coercion and segregating people from society will bully some into it. That doesn’t make it right. It’s just authoritarianism in action. It’s gross.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

"Wife just told me that there are reports of unvaccinated Austrians queuing up to get vaccinated. I don't know how true that is but interesting.

Of course there are. Bullying and coercion and segregating people from society will bully some into it. That doesn’t make it right. It’s just authoritarianism in action. It’s gross."

Yes it certainly divides opinion but I think for a reasonable proportion of the population - it is a good idea.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wife just told me that there are reports of unvaccinated Austrians queuing up to get vaccinated. I don't know how true that is but interesting.

Of course there are. Bullying and coercion and segregating people from society will bully some into it. That doesn’t make it right. It’s just authoritarianism in action. It’s gross.

Yes it certainly divides opinion but I think for a reasonable proportion of the population - it is a good idea."

So the ends justify the means?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes it certainly divides opinion but I think for a reasonable proportion of the population - it is a good idea."

Yes a reasonable proportion of the population are ok with segregation. They’re maniacs.

Give it a year or two they’ll be ok going a few steps further…. How about only allowing basic food and 5 minutes a day outside the house? Vax take up still not enough…. What’s next then? Hold people down and torture them til they have it?

How far are the pro segregation maniacs actually prepared to go? I’d love to know. Just how much are you prepared to punish people to force them into something they don’t want? How far is acceptable to those nutters in favour of this vile segregation?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes it certainly divides opinion but I think for a reasonable proportion of the population - it is a good idea.

Yes a reasonable proportion of the population are ok with segregation. They’re maniacs.

Give it a year or two they’ll be ok going a few steps further…. How about only allowing basic food and 5 minutes a day outside the house? Vax take up still not enough…. What’s next then? Hold people down and torture them til they have it?

How far are the pro segregation maniacs actually prepared to go? I’d love to know. Just how much are you prepared to punish people to force them into something they don’t want? How far is acceptable to those nutters in favour of this vile segregation?"

Simple answer, the hysteria that burnt witches is alive, well nd present today.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

You are all having a laugh surely? Witches, human rights? Just add 5G and we are away.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

How far are the pro segregation maniacs actually prepared to go? I’d love to know. Just how much are you prepared to punish people to force them into something they don’t want? How far is acceptable to those nutters in favour of this vile segregation?

Simple answer, the hysteria that burnt witches is alive, well nd present today."

You’re right.

I’ve asked this question many times about how far people who are in favour of this coercion are prepared to go. I tend not to get an answer.

It’s because they are so weak minded and incapable of critical thought and seeing the bigger picture, that they have to wait for such a restriction (eh austria) to come in, then they support it and give various justifications. However, deep down I believe it’s hard for them to be pro active in saying how far they’d go… they feel safer waiting for someone else to do it (in this case Austria), then support it with the usual justifications.

So, can anyone who is in favour of this, tell me how far you’d go to punish people for not wanting a vaccine? I guarantee you torture would improve vaccine take up. So is that ok? I guarantee you forcing people to stay in 24/7 will improve vax take up? Is that ok?

Come on, how far would the people segregation authoritarians go?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"You are all having a laugh surely? Witches, human rights? Just add 5G and we are away."

You’re totally missing the point!! How far would you go? Read my post above? If the ends justify the means, how far are you prepared to go to force people to take vaccines?

Reply privately

By *ewrideMan
over a year ago

KK

"Covid: Austria introduces lockdown for unvaccinated

It looks like the 1st country to implement a lock down specifically for the unvaxx only has gone ahead and done it today.

"Unvaccinated people will only be permitted to leave home for limited reasons, like working or buying food."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59283128

If this actually makes a difference (to the countries rates of hospitalizations and deaths) will other countries like Russia who have very low vax take up possibly follow suit?

KJ

"

It won't make a difference, and it's totally unreasonable to exclude people from everyday life on this basis

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

Simple answer, the hysteria that burnt witches is alive, well nd present today."

If you are so concerned about civil liberties and freedom of choice, what about all those people that used to drive to the pub have a skinful then drive home, but can't anymore because of drink drive laws. Perhaps we should abolish those laws so people can choose to risk the lives of others with their selfish attitude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are all having a laugh surely? Witches, human rights? Just add 5G and we are away."

And this is why. You all think you're so enlightened by the science today but you act exactly the same as the people 300 years ago. Actually Winston Churchill was deeply concerned about this phenomenon in his day since science was advancing (i.e. nuclear weapons) but morality wasn't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you are so concerned about civil liberties and freedom of choice, what about all those people that used to drive to the pub have a skinful then drive home, but can't anymore because of drink drive laws. Perhaps we should abolish those laws so people can choose to risk the lives of others with their selfish attitude."

You're more dangerous to an unvaccinated person without natural immunity than they are to you

Reply privately

By *uck-RogersMan
over a year ago

Tarka trail

What next !!! the ducking stool. You will take the vax gurgle gurgle you gonna take it now you anti vaxer gurgle gurgle NO you got deli rium.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

If you are so concerned about civil liberties and freedom of choice, what about all those people that used to drive to the pub have a skinful then drive home, but can't anymore because of drink drive laws. Perhaps we should abolish those laws so people can choose to risk the lives of others with their selfish attitude."

Not being forced into a vaccine is not the same as being able to drink and drive! That is the most pathetic comparison I’ve ever heard.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

"You are all having a laugh surely? Witches, human rights? Just add 5G and we are away.

You’re totally missing the point!! How far would you go? Read my post above? If the ends justify the means, how far are you prepared to go to force people to take vaccines?"

Im not missing any point. Many people have already given away massive amounts of information freely without batting an eyelid. All they have done as far as I know is to ask unvaccinated people to lockdown. So what?

Reply privately

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"You are all having a laugh surely? Witches, human rights? Just add 5G and we are away.

And this is why. You all think you're so enlightened by the science today but you act exactly the same as the people 300 years ago. Actually Winston Churchill was deeply concerned about this phenomenon in his day since science was advancing (i.e. nuclear weapons) but morality wasn't. "

Spot on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

You’re totally missing the point!! How far would you go? Read my post above? If the ends justify the means, how far are you prepared to go to force people to take vaccines?

Im not missing any point. Many people have already given away massive amounts of information freely without batting an eyelid. All they have done as far as I know is to ask unvaccinated people to lockdown. So what?"

Lol, segregating society… is that all? Yep, just run of the mill stuff! Jeez! Abc they haven’t asked. They’ve forced, with the threat of a huge fine. Papers please!

So, how far would you go to force those who don’t want this vaccine? You’re ok with locking them down I presume. So, say this doesn’t improve things, how far would you go to further punish/coerce?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Wonder what will happen when everyone is either vaccinated or locked down and the rates are still going up?

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

But we are a long way from that. My understanding is that their hospitals are being overwhelmed and my understanding is that a high proportion of the people being treated are unvaccinated.

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Wonder what will happen when everyone is either vaccinated or locked down and the rates are still going up? "

Realization that it’s all a scam …..

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

My understanding is that they have asked unvaccinated to isolate. So lest see what happens and worry less about the what ifs cause you could do that all day. What if it works?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"My understanding is that they have asked unvaccinated to isolate. So lest see what happens and worry less about the what ifs cause you could do that all day. What if it works?"
m

They’ve threatened huge fines. That’s not asking.

How far would you go to coerce?

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

Wonder what will happen when everyone is either vaccinated or locked down and the rates are still going up? "

Then we will know the truth, it really is an alien plot to wipe out mankind and take over the planet.

I know this is the truth because I read it on the Internet!

Reply privately

over a year ago

could happen as vaccines are a play to allow more case without increasing hospital cases at the same rate. But if hospital rates still go up, then full lock down.

What will be interesting is to see if the speed changes. If all metrics go up at teh same rate then anti lockdown ppl ahve some great data. If unvaxx hospital rates go down, loxkdowwn peeps have data to show power of lock down ...

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

I understand your point.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the two categories - smokers and overweight people.

Firstly the smokers - they haven’t shown up as a group more likely to catch covid. Taking this a step further whilst being a group that were identified as being the ones to be bumped from treatment and access to essential medical equipment needed for the very sick covid patients, this was never triggered - which I think was a bit of a shock to the medical profession. There is some conjecture that smokers do not easily catch covid.

The overweight - this only becomes a problem when associated with other illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, old age or other debilitating illnesses. It’s very well documented that if you are in any of the long term illness categories then covid will put your life at risk.

I think government policies on restrictions will target the stupid and conspiracy theory groups much quicker!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

I understand your point.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the two categories - smokers and overweight people.

Firstly the smokers - they haven’t shown up as a group more likely to catch covid. Taking this a step further whilst being a group that were identified as being the ones to be bumped from treatment and access to essential medical equipment needed for the very sick covid patients, this was never triggered - which I think was a bit of a shock to the medical profession. There is some conjecture that smokers do not easily catch covid.

The overweight - this only becomes a problem when associated with other illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, old age or other debilitating illnesses. It’s very well documented that if you are in any of the long term illness categories then covid will put your life at risk.

I think government policies on restrictions will target the stupid and conspiracy theory groups much quicker! "

Congratulations on totally missing the point made.

Reply privately

By *nowknightMan
over a year ago

BRADFORD

"

They didn’t gas the Jews on the first day you know. This is how it started. And people you just allowed it to happen because it didn’t negatively effect you. "

The first to land in the Umerziehungslager ( later called KZ's ) were Socialist and Communists starting in 1933; by 1936 many of these different thinkers were either dead ( Pneumonia, TB, beatings with rubber hoses ).

My relatives till today do not know where my great uncles where buried ( dumped ). The official notice was death by TB.

What many do not know that 8 in 10 KZ's were run by Austrian citizens.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I understand your point.

I think government policies on restrictions will target the stupid and conspiracy theory groups much quicker! "

What alternative universe of facts do you live in? The people who have died of covid are overwhelmingly people with co-morbidities.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

"My understanding is that they have asked unvaccinated to isolate. So lest see what happens and worry less about the what ifs cause you could do that all day. What if it works?m

How far would you go to coerce?"

If I worked with the police and I found people who had been asked to isolate out and about without good reason, I'd have no problem issuing the ticket. Is that what you mean? They have asked and if people don't comply - yes fines. Same happened here??

I assume you complied with the rules here in the UK last year? Mask wearing, 1 hour exercise, safe spacing when out? Yes / no?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I assume you complied with the rules here in the UK last year? Mask wearing, 1 hour exercise, safe spacing when out? Yes / no?

"

Nope and if you want to give me one of those fines then you'd better bring a friend

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"My understanding is that they have asked unvaccinated to isolate. So lest see what happens and worry less about the what ifs cause you could do that all day. What if it works?m

If I worked with the police and I found people who had been asked to isolate out and about without good reason, I'd have no problem issuing the ticket. Is that what you mean? They have asked and if people don't comply - yes fines. Same happened here??

"

No, I mean how far are you prepared to go, ie what government measures are acceptable to you to coerce people into having a vaccine they don’t want?

You’re ok with segregating society by locking down unvaccinated. So say that doesn’t work, what’s next? How far are you prepared to go?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"

Nope and if you want to give me one of those fines then you'd better bring a friend"

I did for the first lockdown. Once the tiers came in in September I realised where this was heading and ignored restrictions through the winter (like most people in Birmingham from what I could tell).

Reply privately

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

No, I mean how far are you prepared to go, ie what government measures are acceptable to you to coerce people into having a vaccine they don’t want?

You’re ok with segregating society by locking down unvaccinated. So say that doesn’t work, what’s next? How far are you prepared to go?"

I asked a similar question about 12 months ago and was utterly appalled by the responses - people should be forcibly injected, their children moved into care, income / benefits withdrawn etc.

I’m no longer seeing such comments and can only conclude that the most fervent pro-vaxers can see the dud that we were sold. Now the government have got themselves into a Catch 22 situation - they have to convince the unvaccinated the jab does work while convincing the vaccinated it doesn’t work that well and to roll up for their booster

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's BS and absolutely disgusting behaviour most likely just about controlling the population just compare how they've acted with covid compared to every other pandemic most recently ebola it's a joke most of the people they put the restrictions on will be Young and Healthy it's trying to force people to take it if it was about health then why wouldn't they also put the over 60s that have had the jab into lockdown since they would still get a worse side effects from getting covid than someone else younger

Reply privately

By *issIrishCoffeeWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 15/11/21 18:57:32]

Reply privately

By *issIrishCoffeeWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Hope it comes to the uk next

Reply privately

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

You’re ok with segregating society by locking down unvaccinated. So say that doesn’t work, what’s next? How far are you prepared to go?

I asked a similar question about 12 months ago and was utterly appalled by the responses - people should be forcibly injected, their children moved into care, income / benefits withdrawn etc.

I’m no longer seeing such comments and can only conclude that the most fervent pro-vaxers can see the dud that we were sold. Now the government have got themselves into a Catch 22 situation - they have to convince the unvaccinated the jab does work while convincing the vaccinated it doesn’t work that well and to roll up for their booster"

...That's the truth of it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"Hope it comes to the uk next "

So, how far are you prepared to go to force/coerce people who don’t want it?

Reply privately

By *issIrishCoffeeWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"Hope it comes to the uk next

So, how far are you prepared to go to force/coerce people who don’t want it?"

People I don’t know I could care less, people I know and family I do the most, simple I do whatever it takes

At this point I don’t think people care or take it seriously anymore cause it’s still getting worse

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

People I don’t know I could care less, people I know and family I do the most, simple I do whatever it takes

At this point I don’t think people care or take it seriously anymore cause it’s still getting worse "

Whatever it takes? Forced vaccination? Hold them down?!

Reply privately

By *adysueandneroCouple
over a year ago

witney

So, how far are you prepared to go to force/coerce people who don’t want it?"

Lock em up.

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I understand your point.

“……… then the next logical step would be to introduce a General Health Passport and restrict the movement and freedoms of people such as smokers and obese?……”

————————————

So yes, some restrictions have already been imposed on smokers for Heath reasons, and those restrictions are still in force.

And like said, I wasn’t arguing about whether Austria’s decision was right or wrong. I was just explaining the rationale behind their decision, ie the decision wasn’t made primarily to stop transmission, but rather to prevent the unvaccinated from filling up their ICUs.

"

We could compare the smoking ban to the self isolation orders for those who have been in contact with a carrier.

Smoking was banned indoors to lessen the effect of second hand smoke on other people's health however smokers are not excluded from society or forced to stay at home, a working solution was reached.

In much the same way that we accept smoking to be unhealthy but still allow it to be legal and not exclude smokers from society we have to accept that although it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society those who do not feel safe or ready to do so as yet.

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

You’re ok with segregating society by locking down unvaccinated. So say that doesn’t work, what’s next? How far are you prepared to go?"

No, I wouldn't force people into taking the vaccine. Many of the unvaccinated simply need a few minutes with a doctor but I don't have the breakdown of the types of people e.g., how many are hesitant because of 5G, scared of clots, unborn babies - whatever.

What is a concern is that you only need to read a few of the replies in forums like this to see how complete and utter bollocks is spread around and believed - so the doctors have an uphill struggle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

Lock em up."

Take vaccine or lock them up? Wow. You’re happy with that? 4-5 million people locked up?

Locked up where?

You’re ok with the government forcing a vaccine on people or they’re imprisoned? You can’t see the bigger picture of what they may force on you next in this scenario? Perhaps something you don’t want to do?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Keep it civil please

( if your post was removed it was because you quoted one that broke rules so you will have to post again )

Reply privately

By *isty24Woman
over a year ago

Leicester

What a load of bullshit!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

There are people revelling in segregation. Wow.

History doesn’t look fondly on this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

At this point I don’t think people care or take it seriously anymore cause it’s still getting worse "

Whatever it takes?!!

Reply privately

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

I understand your point.

————————————

We could compare the smoking ban to the self isolation orders for those who have been in contact with a carrier.

Smoking was banned indoors to lessen the effect of second hand smoke on other people's health however smokers are not excluded from society or forced to stay at home, a working solution was reached.

In much the same way that we accept smoking to be unhealthy but still allow it to be legal and not exclude smokers from society we have to accept that although it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society those who do not feel safe or ready to do so as yet."

“……. it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society….”

———————————

I didn’t recommend for anyone to be excluded from society.

Reply privately

By *J OP   Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

Wonder what will happen when everyone is either vaccinated or locked down and the rates are still going up? could happen as vaccines are a play to allow more case without increasing hospital cases at the same rate. But if hospital rates still go up, then full lock down.

What will be interesting is to see if the speed changes. If all metrics go up at teh same rate then anti lockdown ppl ahve some great data. If unvaxx hospital rates go down, loxkdowwn peeps have data to show power of lock down ... "

Exactly if this targeted lockdown of the unvaxxed in turn (after the relevant lag) reduceds the numbers (currently the majority in Austria) of unvaxxed in ICU then it will have clearly worked. I'm that event its not a stretch to see other low vax take up countries to do the same.

On the flip side if it makes no difference at all to the non vaxxed numbers in ICU then its back to the drawing board.

Incidently so far the fact that Wales never dropped mask mandates and Scotlands Covid Passport has been formally enforced almost a month now (since Oct 18th) does any data show in comparison to England who did neither show that either of these policies are making a difference?

They show no sign of removing them and there's talk of expanding the Scottish Covid Passport Scheme atm. Is that been driven by the data showing its working or is it because so far not made much difference? Genuinely curious.

KJ

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Nope and if you want to give me one of those fines then you'd better bring a friend

I did for the first lockdown. Once the tiers came in in September I realised where this was heading and ignored restrictions through the winter (like most people in Birmingham from what I could tell). "

I started by following the rules until cases started coming down, from memory that was after about 6 weeks. It then became obvious the government were on a power trip and had no interest in following any science that would result in them relieving control.

Actually within our group, we took precautions not to get infected and none of us did in 2020.

The only thing i regret is complying for those 6 weeks because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. People were predicting what would happen since October 2019, and in hindsight it was obvious the virus was out then and governments knew.

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Wonder what will happen when everyone is either vaccinated or locked down and the rates are still going up? could happen as vaccines are a play to allow more case without increasing hospital cases at the same rate. But if hospital rates still go up, then full lock down.

What will be interesting is to see if the speed changes. If all metrics go up at teh same rate then anti lockdown ppl ahve some great data. If unvaxx hospital rates go down, loxkdowwn peeps have data to show power of lock down ...

Exactly if this targeted lockdown of the unvaxxed in turn (after the relevant lag) reduceds the numbers (currently the majority in Austria) of unvaxxed in ICU then it will have clearly worked. I'm that event its not a stretch to see other low vax take up countries to do the same.

On the flip side if it makes no difference at all to the non vaxxed numbers in ICU then its back to the drawing board.

Incidently so far the fact that Wales never dropped mask mandates and Scotlands Covid Passport has been formally enforced almost a month now (since Oct 18th) does any data show in comparison to England who did neither show that either of these policies are making a difference?

They show no sign of removing them and there's talk of expanding the Scottish Covid Passport Scheme atm. Is that been driven by the data showing its working or is it because so far not made much difference? Genuinely curious.

KJ"

Look at travellingtabby dot com, they’ll give you comparisons over the four nations on their home page, updated daily

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"

I did for the first lockdown. Once the tiers came in in September I realised where this was heading and ignored restrictions through the winter (like most people in Birmingham from what I could tell).

I started by following the rules until cases started coming down, from memory that was after about 6 weeks. It then became obvious the government were on a power trip and had no interest in following any science that would result in them relieving control.

Actually within our group, we took precautions not to get infected and none of us did in 2020.

The only thing i regret is complying for those 6 weeks because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. People were predicting what would happen since October 2019, and in hindsight it was obvious the virus was out then and governments knew. "

Yes I agree the virus was probably here earlier than they say. Two people I know in the December were very ill (two weeks in bed type thing) in the December, and the mrs had the classic ‘mild version’ symptoms that same month (dry cough for a few days, loss of taste). Impossible to be sure I know, but I strongly suspect it was here in late 2019. God knows how I’ve never caught it.

I too gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first lockdown.

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I understand your point.

————————————

In much the same way that we accept smoking to be unhealthy but still allow it to be legal and not exclude smokers from society we have to accept that although it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society those who do not feel safe or ready to do so as yet.

“……. it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society….”

———————————

I didn’t recommend for anyone to be excluded from society.

"

No worries, I know you didn't and I understand the point you make.

To me it seems like the Austrian measures would strip away people's rights which would in effect exclude them from fully participating in society. To me this is unacceptable in a democratic nation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The only thing i regret is complying for those 6 weeks because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. People were predicting what would happen since October 2019, and in hindsight it was obvious the virus was out then and governments knew.

Yes I agree the virus was probably here earlier than they say. Two people I know in the December were very ill (two weeks in bed type thing) in the December, and the mrs had the classic ‘mild version’ symptoms that same month (dry cough for a few days, loss of taste). Impossible to be sure I know, but I strongly suspect it was here in late 2019. God knows how I’ve never caught it.

I too gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first lockdown."

Trump signed an executive order to speed up the development of flu vaccines in September 2019 but I'm sure that's coincidence. Overall I think the politicians were more interested in buying moderna shares than stopping any spread. Check out how long it took a butt fuck nothing company to double its share price despite never having developed a vaccine before

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I too gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first lockdown.

Trump signed an executive order to speed up the development of flu vaccines in September 2019 but I'm sure that's coincidence. Overall I think the politicians were more interested in buying moderna shares than stopping any spread. Check out how long it took a butt fuck nothing company to double its share price despite never having developed a vaccine before "

tbf, it's got more behind it that BTC !

Reply privately

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

The filthy unvaxxed are forced into workcamps and have to wear some sort of symbol on their arm to show their status as lesser humans.

Im sure some other Austrian tried similar before but I cant put my finger on who it was

Reply privately

By *innMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

I understand your point.

————————————

In much the same way that we accept smoking to be unhealthy but still allow it to be legal and not exclude smokers from society we have to accept that although it may be preferable for people to be vaccinated we should not exclude from society those who do not feel safe or ready to do so as yet."

I think we should treat the unvaccinated in the same way as we treat smokers - deny them access to certain public areas, deny them some medical processes such as ventilators and oxygen.

Hold them in disdain as a lower class who are obviously too thick to realise they are putting others at risk with their attitude

Reply privately

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

I understand your point.

————————————

I think we should treat the unvaccinated in the same way as we treat smokers - deny them access to certain public areas, deny them some medical processes such as ventilators and oxygen.

Hold them in disdain as a lower class who are obviously too thick to realise they are putting others at risk with their attitude

"

pmsl aint you a nice openminded person

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

I understand your point.

————————————

"

You’d go far in North Korea.

Reply privately

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I understand your point.

————————————

"

If only you'd included obesity, alcoholics, drug users, motorcyclists and people who practice extreme sports and contact sports in that list you could of slashed the burden on NHS and hospitals right down

Reply privately

By *erlins5Man
over a year ago

South Fife

"

I think she is suggesting this is the thin end of the wedge.... And who knows what is at the other end of the wedge? I doubt it is extenuating though and the comparison to the holocaust is not in the best taste, but I understand the sentiment.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Part of me thinks that if we as a society create this vaccine that’s save and effective via the studies, and as with most vaccines the more people that take it the better, by choosing not to take it you are actively taking part in something that makes the society less safe for the rest of us

Isn’t it right that we exclude you from that society?

You can’t compare this to the Jews in WW2 because they weren’t actually doing anything. There was a hatred for them based on nothing

If you are choosing not to participate in a safety measure the society has introduced. Why should you be part of the society?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Part of me thinks that if we as a society create this vaccine that’s save and effective via the studies, and as with most vaccines the more people that take it the better, by choosing not to take it you are actively taking part in something that makes the society less safe for the rest of us

You can’t compare this to the Jews in WW2 because they weren’t actually doing anything. There was a hatred for them based on nothing

If you are choosing not to participate in a safety measure the society has introduced. Why should you be part of the society? "

How do you think the Nazis persuaded their population to go along with persecuting the Jews? Do you think they said "well they aren't actually doing anything but let's hate them anyway"? Or do you think they made up lies about them just as the government is doing about unvaccinated people right now?

Reply privately

over a year ago

As others have said, this is the thin edge of the wedge.

If someone had told you in 2018 that in a couple of years, healthy people would be locked down and unable to travel freely, that healthy peoples lives would be restricted and healthy people would be coerced by government into getting a vaccine, losing their jobs for declining, losing the freedom of their health autonomy - would you believe it? I wouldn’t.

Some see the references to the nazi movement as offensive and unrelated but I can completely see many parallel behaviours.

This for me is more frightening than the virus itself!

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

"As others have said, this is the thin edge of the wedge.

If someone had told you in 2018 that in a couple of years, healthy people would be locked down and unable to travel freely, that healthy peoples lives would be restricted and healthy people would be coerced by government into getting a vaccine, losing their jobs for declining, losing the freedom of their health autonomy - would you believe it? I wouldn’t.

Some see the references to the nazi movement as offensive and unrelated but I can completely see many parallel behaviours.

This for me is more frightening than the virus itself! "

The propaganda parallels are equally frightening. History does tend to repeat itself.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Part of me thinks that if we as a society create this vaccine that’s save and effective via the studies, and as with most vaccines the more people that take it the better, by choosing not to take it you are actively taking part in something that makes the society less safe for the rest of us

If you are choosing not to participate in a safety measure the society has introduced. Why should you be part of the society?

How do you think the Nazis persuaded their population to go along with persecuting the Jews? Do you think they said "well they aren't actually doing anything but let's hate them anyway"? Or do you think they made up lies about them just as the government is doing about unvaccinated people right now? "

Restrictions and vaccinations are what we have to help us reduce the infection levels. There's a wealth of published research evidence to help to drive our strategies - I don't see evidence supporting lies

Reply privately

over a year ago

How do you think the Nazis persuaded their population to go along with persecuting the Jews? Do you think they said "well they aren't actually doing anything but let's hate them anyway"? Or do you think they made up lies about them just as the government is doing about unvaccinated people right now?

Restrictions and vaccinations are what we have to help us reduce the infection levels. There's a wealth of published research evidence to help to drive our strategies - I don't see evidence supporting lies"

No they weren't. The only thing the government has done that's made a jot of difference is roll out the vaccine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As others have said, this is the thin edge of the wedge.

This for me is more frightening than the virus itself! "

I agree. I'm triple jabbed and have a science evidence based profession. But this is frightening. The nazis came to power 6 years before the war. They used the public to turn on minorities and a guise of all sorts. People believed everything because it was done slowly bit bit bit. I'm not saying this now.would go that way but they way the public have turned on unvsxxed and reasoned why these lockdowns are acceptable is a frightening look into how these dictatorships must of started. Its is absolutely crazy to think that a section of society in Austria legally must behave differently than another section. Yet the public reason this. Its madness in my eyes

Reply privately

over a year ago

Restrictions and vaccinations are what we have to help us reduce the infection levels. There's a wealth of published research evidence to help to drive our strategies - I don't see evidence supporting lies"

Its the reasoning like this that public use for segregation thats frightening. Because how far do you take that? Mask wearing? Covering womans faces in public ? And to reason this with 'it protects other people' doesnt change that its the same principles applied. Applying the protecting others idea could literally be applied to anything.

Reply privately

By *ent doggerMan
over a year ago

kent

Very worrying for me.

I've had both first and second jab but haven't been right since.

I won't be having any booster as I believe it will make my condition a lot worse

Normally very healthy, never had a day off work sick until I had the second vaccine jab.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

How do you think the Nazis persuaded their population to go along with persecuting the Jews? Do you think they said "well they aren't actually doing anything but let's hate them anyway"? Or do you think they made up lies about them just as the government is doing about unvaccinated people right now? "

I think they did lie

But we aren’t lying about others not taking the vaccine. You have people openly saying they won’t take it because of spooky YouTube videos they watch, or that it’s got a chip in it.

It’s the best line of defence we currently have, if you don’t wanna participate in protecting the society then be ready to be excluded from it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

But we aren’t lying about others not taking the vaccine. You have people openly saying they won’t take it because of spooky YouTube videos they watch, or that it’s got a chip in it.

It’s the best line of defence we currently have, if you don’t wanna participate in protecting the society then be ready to be excluded from it "

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection.

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think they did lie

It’s the best line of defence we currently have, if you don’t wanna participate in protecting the society then be ready to be excluded from it

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection. "

You come across much more brainwashed by insisting that science is wrong, and that everyone who isn't vaccinated has already been infected...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection.

You come across much more brainwashed by insisting that science is wrong, and that everyone who isn't vaccinated has already been infected...

"

Your reading comprehension fails you. Not for the first time.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think they did lie

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection. "

True, but we can’t guarantee that

We can guarantee you’ve had the vaccine.

Should society have their safety put at risk over the chance you might have natural immunity?

Or should we make it a certainty with a vaccine?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

the unvaccinated hospitalisation rate per 100k is something like 4x the vaccinated rate. So if the unvax population is more likely to have natural immunity, that suggests the power of the vaccine is more than 4x not having the vaccine all things being equal.

From what I've seen no vaxx/no natural natural vaxx (especially BN which irrc wains less).

I've also seen stuff that something like a third of previously infected ppl doesn't have antibodies, so having covid has natural immunity.

Reply privately

By *ussymufferMan
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I think they did lie

Should society have their safety put at risk over the chance you might have natural immunity?

Or should we make it a certainty with a vaccine? "

how re there so many with the vaccine in hospital.

There was a students ball just outside st Andrew's at the weekend every one who was there had to be fully vaccinated but there was twenty covid cases linked to it on monday morning so its not much out off 2000 people but how many have the twenty spread it to by thinking we are all vaxed and how many more cases will be found so the covid passport sounds good but it does not stop people getting covid

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think they did lie

Or should we make it a certainty with a vaccine? how re there so many with the vaccine in hospital.

There was a students ball just outside st Andrew's at the weekend every one who was there had to be fully vaccinated but there was twenty covid cases linked to it on monday morning so its not much out off 2000 people but how many have the twenty spread it to by thinking we are all vaxed and how many more cases will be found so the covid passport sounds good but it does not stop people getting covid "

The poster above you has quoted the hospitalised rate per 100k is 4x bigger for the unvaccinated group

Where are you getting the info that the vaccinated make up so much of hospital cases?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

Or should we make it a certainty with a vaccine? "

OK sounding a bit more sensible now. How about, if a test showed you'd recovered from covid then that would be given equal status to having been vaccinated? Would you support that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection. the unvaccinated hospitalisation rate per 100k is something like 4x the vaccinated rate. So if the unvax population is more likely to have natural immunity, that suggests the power of the vaccine is more than 4x not having the vaccine all things being equal.

From what I've seen no vaxx/no natural natural vaxx (especially BN which irrc wains less).

I've also seen stuff that something like a third of previously infected ppl doesn't have antibodies, so having covid has natural immunity. "

Oh come on, read what you wrote again and spot the obvious flaw. You're smarter than that.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think they did lie

OK sounding a bit more sensible now. How about, if a test showed you'd recovered from covid then that would be given equal status to having been vaccinated? Would you support that? "

If we could show through the science these things

Natural immunity is equal or better than vaccine

A test that can accurately tell if you’ve got natural immunity

Then yeah, I saw walk free. I think the issue with that would just be the cost of testing, but outside of any logistic/cost issues, I’d had no problem with that

I don’t want to force the vaccine on people, I want to force a level of safety for everyone. And as far as I’m aware (I’m not an expert) the vaccine is a very reliable, cheap, easily recordable way to give someone protection. That’s why I stand with the idea of locking down unvaccinated

If another method comes out to bring that protection to a person, and it’s recordable and proveable, then crack on

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm still not sure where is stand, but my take is :

Do vaccines reduce hospitalisations? Yes, looking at vaccine surveillance.

Does lockdown reduce hospitalisations? Yes, based on spikes and thoughts lining up with lockdowns.

Is there a point where we need to do something different than today to stop too many hospitalisations. Yes.

Has vaccines helped allow us to avoid being in lockdown? Yes, based in above.

Is there a risk at looking at averages and total numbers. Yes. In a world of 20 yo, vacciens wouldn't be needed to avoid lockdown. In a world of 80 yo it's probably not enough.

Do we need a one size fits all approach? Not sure. But if we do, then more hospitalisations leads to everyone being locked down again.

Does a 20 yo getting vaccinated make a dent in the risk to NHS? Not directly. Does an 60 yo? Yes.

Could we therefore take a risk based approach? Eg unvaxxed over 40s are subject to lock down? Feels fairer, but also feels more of a thin end as....

Should other risk factors be bought into play... Race? Weight? Medical history.... Eek.

Currently we are being asked to reduce our covid risk factor. It's a choice. The shittiness is that a 20y risk is much lower than a 60yo regardless. So why get so focussed on these? ... Which gets me back to an age related approach. But that also feels scarier.

Like I say. Undecided. To avoid full lockdown something would need to change ... Whatever it is, likely involves some lockdown, and possibly for some groups only. At least this approach gives a choice.

(However I also suspect it won't be enough and just delays the inevitable, especially as we have no real data to show what other methods really works ...)

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

No offence but you come across pretty brainwashed when you fail to consider that an unvaccinated person is actually pretty likely to have natural immunity. You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection. the unvaccinated hospitalisation rate per 100k is something like 4x the vaccinated rate. So if the unvax population is more likely to have natural immunity, that suggests the power of the vaccine is more than 4x not having the vaccine all things being equal.

I've also seen stuff that something like a third of previously infected ppl doesn't have antibodies, so having covid has natural immunity.

Oh come on, read what you wrote again and spot the obvious flaw. You're smarter than that. "

just tell me. That's the nature of discussion. My less than signs have disappeared tho ... So one sentence doesn't work !

Reply privately

over a year ago

" You're just playing into the false dichotomy between having some short lived protection from the vaccine and having no protection.

OK sounding a bit more sensible now. How about, if a test showed you'd recovered from covid then that would be given equal status to having been vaccinated? Would you support that?

If we could show through the science these things

Natural immunity is equal or better than vaccine

A test that can accurately tell if you’ve got natural immunity

Then yeah, I saw walk free. I think the issue with that would just be the cost of testing, but outside of any logistic/cost issues, I’d had no problem with that

I don’t want to force the vaccine on people, I want to force a level of safety for everyone. And as far as I’m aware (I’m not an expert) the vaccine is a very reliable, cheap, easily recordable way to give someone protection. That’s why I stand with the idea of locking down unvaccinated

If another method comes out to bring that protection to a person, and it’s recordable and proveable, then crack on "

Right well at least we understand each other now. There are 4 groups:

1. Vaccinated, previously infected

2. Unvaccinated, Previously infected

3. Vaccinated, never infected

4. Unvaccinated, never infected

And that's the order of their protection. Not the order of their risk because a 12 year old #4 is still lower risk than an old #3.

Personally I don't know any #1s. I know a lot of #2, I know plenty of #3s and a few #4s. The #4s need to accept they will get infected at some point, this group will disappear over time. That's why I get irritated by the #3 v #4 false dichotomy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they did lie

Oh come on, read what you wrote again and spot the obvious flaw. You're smarter than that. just tell me. That's the nature of discussion. My less than signs have disappeared tho ... So one sentence doesn't work !"

99% of the unvaccinated in hospital don't have natural immunity, they are infected for the first time. They are the #4s not the #2s. Oxford University have a calculator that can tell you the probability of needing hospital treatment and death based on your individual circumstances. For some people the risk of the vaccine is worse than the risk of death from covid. However, the majority of the adult population would benefit from vaccination if they don’t have natural immunity. The vast majority of kids won't.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"I'm still not sure where is stand, but my take is :

Do vaccines reduce hospitalisations? Yes, looking at vaccine surveillance.

Does lockdown reduce hospitalisations? Yes, based on spikes and thoughts lining up with lockdowns.

Is there a point where we need to do something different than today to stop too many hospitalisations. Yes.

Has vaccines helped allow us to avoid being in lockdown? Yes, based in above.

Is there a risk at looking at averages and total numbers. Yes. In a world of 20 yo, vacciens wouldn't be needed to avoid lockdown. In a world of 80 yo it's probably not enough.

Do we need a one size fits all approach? Not sure. But if we do, then more hospitalisations leads to everyone being locked down again.

Does a 20 yo getting vaccinated make a dent in the risk to NHS? Not directly. Does an 60 yo? Yes.

Could we therefore take a risk based approach? Eg unvaxxed over 40s are subject to lock down? Feels fairer, but also feels more of a thin end as....

Should other risk factors be bought into play... Race? Weight? Medical history.... Eek.

Currently we are being asked to reduce our covid risk factor. It's a choice. The shittiness is that a 20y risk is much lower than a 60yo regardless. So why get so focussed on these? ... Which gets me back to an age related approach. But that also feels scarier.

Like I say. Undecided. To avoid full lockdown something would need to change ... Whatever it is, likely involves some lockdown, and possibly for some groups only. At least this approach gives a choice.

(However I also suspect it won't be enough and just delays the inevitable, especially as we have no real data to show what other methods really works ...)

"

You raise a very interesting case with targeted lockdown

Age obviously, smoker? Weight? Race? Already ill/immune compromised? All these things could be used to determine who is locked down.

My old argument is some can’t be controlled. Everyone chooses to be a smoker or overweight. No one chooses their age, race or health status.

I think vaccinated vs unvaccinated is an easy way to split it because the risk we are factoring in is someone that is not at risk spreading it by being unvaccinated

Some people can’t get the vaccine due to medical reasons. Some get it but are still at risk. Having a bunch of willingly unvaccinated people roaming the society puts them at risk. I’d imagine the unvaccinated are a great threat of variants developing too due to easier spread, but again, I’m not an expert.

This is a community effort. We can’t just think about ourselves or one person. Everyone’s in thisb

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I think they did lie

Or should we make it a certainty with a vaccine? how re there so many with the vaccine in hospital.

There was a students ball just outside st Andrew's at the weekend every one who was there had to be fully vaccinated but there was twenty covid cases linked to it on monday morning so its not much out off 2000 people but how many have the twenty spread it to by thinking we are all vaxed and how many more cases will be found so the covid passport sounds good but it does not stop people getting covid

The poster above you has quoted the hospitalised rate per 100k is 4x bigger for the unvaccinated group

Where are you getting the info that the vaccinated make up so much of hospital cases? "

The weekly covid surveillance report... Shows above age 40...

8362 cases admitted to hospital. Of which 1962 not vaccinated. The remainder being vaccinated.

39 and younger the percentages flip the other way around with more being unvaccinated...

So 39 and under..1817 admitted to hospital of which

1351 unvaccinated.

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"You come across much more brainwashed by insisting that science is wrong, and that everyone who isn't vaccinated has already been infected...

-----------

Your reading comprehension fails you. Not for the first time. "

It is apparent by your insistence that all of the science proving the efficacy of the vaccines is wrong (or lying), that it's no my comprehension that is lacking.

Cal

Reply privately