Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Pinged to isolate. Would you?

Jump to newest

By *annaBeStrong OP   Man
over a year ago

w

Big discussion at work today.

Youre pinged to isolate for 10 days. No work, no pay. Are you still gonna do it?

The system seems flawed to me. It only works if people isolate, but if it’s gonna cost you money, how many people are actually going to do it?

I’ll be honest and say that if I got pinged I’d isolate from friends, family, gym etc etc. But I’m still going to work. I don’t see why I should effectively be billed for catching a virus.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *redwilma666Couple
over a year ago

Kilbirnie

If you don't have the app you can't be pinged

By * Your PleasureMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/07/21 14:27:00]

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Yes, I would isolate, that’s the point of it.

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Isolate. But I know people who just don't care.

I've isolated to protect people. You just don't know what might happen to someone.

It sucks fella but it's the right thing to do.

By *drian HardthrobMan
over a year ago

Worcester

I'd happily do it. Worked throughout the whole pandemic and could do with a decent break to be honest

By *iss pleasuringWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near

So if you don't have the app, you can't get pinged. Do you not get pinged if you don't always use Bluetooth

By *iss pleasuringWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near

Back 8n January when cases was at highest. Why was there no pingdemic

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

I'm sure you can claim £125 if you have to isolate, I know it isn't alot but it's better than nothing.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, I would

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

When our children were small and we struggled for money we would have literally gone broke if we'd lost ten days money. I'm very glad it's a situation I don't have to face

By *ootsguyMan
over a year ago

Limavady

I deleted the app for 10 days at home would be torture.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Big discussion at work today.

Youre pinged to isolate for 10 days. No work, no pay. Are you still gonna do it?

The system seems flawed to me. It only works if people isolate, but if it’s gonna cost you money, how many people are actually going to do it?

I’ll be honest and say that if I got pinged I’d isolate from friends, family, gym etc etc. But I’m still going to work. I don’t see why I should effectively be billed for catching a virus. "

its crap as people who have had 2 jabs even if test positive don't have top isolate BUT thay can still pass on virus what a load of sausage

By *nicecoupleXCouple
over a year ago

Hitch

I’ll be honest and say that if I got pinged I’d isolate from friends, family, gym etc etc. But I’m still going to work. I don’t see why I should effectively be billed for catching a virus. "

Delete app delete app delete app

By *luttyLaylaWoman
over a year ago

North West

Depends if I knew I’d been classed as a contact or not.

I don’t have the app but far too many people are being pinged when it isn’t genuine and have had measures in place that isn’t acknowledged on the app.

The app is advisory, if I had been called I’d have the conversation but I have over turned one of those once as someone said I was a contact when I wasn’t!

The money wouldn’t come into it for me, 10 days wages loss has to be better than the possibility of spreading Covid xx

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Yes. Until my PCR tests results as per my works instructions

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr spalding

Yes as I wouldn't want to put others at risk

over a year ago

"Yes. Until my PCR tests results as per my works instructions "

This, I'd test and if negative would get back to work, otherwise I wouldn't. But I totally understand people who can't lose a single day at work and deleted the app.

By *all me FlikWoman
over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"Yes, I would isolate, that’s the point of it. "

Yes and just finished isolating

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

Yeah of course I'm tired of working, mind you they would probably make me work from home.

By *he FAB Social - MCRCouple (FF)
over a year ago

manchester

I agree with the ‘if I tested negative I’d be straight back to work’ at this stage in the game

I isolated because of a family member and lost 1/3 of my bills money. Money I don’t have and it took me a good while to get straight again.

I can understand why people feel they ‘can’t’ especially when the ‘double jabbed don’t need to isolate from Aug’ is in sight - it might seem morally wrong but there’s been a lot of other stuff over the past two years that’s been the same or worse.

GG x

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Thank god I don’t have the app

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

"Thank god I don’t have the app"

But you'll miss out on the pings

By *ewcouplemidsCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"If you don't have the app you can't be pinged"

Never had the app but have been abroad so info was got from my locater form

Email and text was sent to me telling me to isolate

They followed up via a phone call

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Op how would you feel if you caught covid from someone at work who should have been isolating and you become seriously ill and pass it onto to family?

By *orace pinkerMan
over a year ago

North west

I'm waiting for the regular forum expert to comment,she's probably on another thread telling them they're wrong, she'll be along soon

over a year ago

Yes and currently we are isolating, 2 days left assuming we test negative on another pcr.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I'm waiting for the regular forum expert to comment,she's probably on another thread telling them they're wrong, she'll be along soon"

Hahahaha

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I'm waiting for the regular forum expert to comment,she's probably on another thread telling them they're wrong, she'll be along soon"

Rude

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Discovered yesterday that it is only a legal requirement to isolate if you are contacted directly by tack and trace. If you are pinged by the NHS app then it is only advised that you follow it instructions.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I'm waiting for the regular forum expert to comment,she's probably on another thread telling them they're wrong, she'll be along soon

Rude"

But very true

By *iss pleasuringWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near

"Op how would you feel if you caught covid from someone at work who should have been isolating and you become seriously ill and pass it onto to family?"

Do you not think its all ifs buts and maybes

This virus is hear, like the flu,

over a year ago

I got a phone call Saturday from my daughter's adult daycare, telling me she has to self isolate. It is day 7 today. So yes we are isolating although not legally required to.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"Discovered yesterday that it is only a legal requirement to isolate if you are contacted directly by tack and trace. If you are pinged by the NHS app then it is only advised that you follow it instructions."

Well can’t make it law when many of the population don’t have the app or even a compatible device. If the government want me to use the app they need to supply me a newer, compatible phone!

over a year ago

Exactly

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

"If you don't have the app you can't be pinged.

Exactly "

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

And people wonder how the virus spreads so readily

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Op how would you feel if you caught covid from someone at work who should have been isolating and you become seriously ill and pass it onto to family?

This virus is hear, like the flu, "

Not at all no if's and buts at all.

This is a highly contagious virus that does kill and more than that people need to understand it's more than just it kills you or it doesn't you can have it not require hospitalisation but it can seriously fuck you up.

Maybe I'm biased as I'm in the seriously fucked up catagory so my views are always going to be tainted.

However much like anything it's never serious until it happens to you but if we can mitigate the chances of its continued spread through isolation is that such a bad thing??

I don't get payed sick and lost 7 weeks money last year I understand for some that's bankruptcy and I'm still recovering financially but we all have to make sacrifices if we want things to get better as long as we ignore the advice ( even if it's flawed and confusing) things are just going to carry on.

For people who are not bothered if they catch it.

Well I pray that you are fortunate to only have a mild case because you really don't want to get it bad.

Really you don't as I can testify that a mild to moderate case makes having the flu seem like a runny nose by comparison.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Op how would you feel if you caught covid from someone at work who should have been isolating and you become seriously ill and pass it onto to family?

This is a highly contagious virus that does kill and more than that people need to understand it's more than just it kills you or it doesn't you can have it not require hospitalisation but it can seriously fuck you up.

Maybe I'm biased as I'm in the seriously fucked up catagory so my views are always going to be tainted.

However much like anything it's never serious until it happens to you but if we can mitigate the chances of its continued spread through isolation is that such a bad thing??

I don't get payed sick and lost 7 weeks money last year I understand for some that's bankruptcy and I'm still recovering financially but we all have to make sacrifices if we want things to get better as long as we ignore the advice ( even if it's flawed and confusing) things are just going to carry on.

Well I pray that you are fortunate to only have a mild case because you really don't want to get it bad.

Really you don't as I can testify that a mild to moderate case makes having the flu seem like a runny nose by comparison."

Sorry my husband had moderate symptoms and he still says he had a flu that was far worse.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Really you don't as I can testify that a mild to moderate case makes having the flu seem like a runny nose by comparison.

Sorry my husband had moderate symptoms and he still says he had a flu that was far worse.

"

That's brilliant I'm glad but I would say he had a mild case.

My point that your missing is people are experiencing long term issues that can be debilitating even from mild to moderate cases.

Some people don't realise until much later.

To put it bluntly it's a cunt of a virus.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

He had moderate got took to hospital but didn't need icu.

Don't suggest what he had.

over a year ago

Im a key worker so ive worked all through Pandemic and yes i would isolate as i work in a care home i would not put them a risk .we would have to isolate got No choice to

By *eekingintimacyMan
over a year ago

Bristol

If you get pinged, and rush out and get a test, chances are it'll be negative, it'll take a little time to show up if you have caught it.

By *ent doggerMan
over a year ago

kent

I don't have the app, it's not available for my phone

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I would isolate

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

[Removed by poster at 23/07/21 11:08:58]

By *unterxMan
over a year ago

Derry

I'm currently isolating due to someone at work being unfortunate enough to catch it. You should stay at home. Its the least you can do.

over a year ago

If I wasn’t on mat leave there are rules within my work place (nhs) what to do with a ping. Contacted through track and trace isolate. Pinged get a pcr if ok return to work and lft daily

over a year ago

I haven’t got the app but have isolated when I’ve had to die to cases at work etc. I am lucky enough to be paid during isolation.

My friend is self employed and she would not be able to survive with frequent isolation. Covid has already hit her family hard financially. Her children are frequently sent home to isolate meaning that she cannot work. The whole thing has broken her.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Yes, I would. When they brought out the ap I asked in an informal team briefing how many people would self isolate. Not one said they would, they wouldn't get paid. I'm still amazed that no one in that building didn't get it. I don't work thete anymore but they are only just insisting that staff do twice weekly tests.

By *ltra72Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck

By *ammskiMan
over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck "
Good luck

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

"And people wonder how the virus spreads so readily "

Yup......

18 months down the road, literally reams of information out there, and people still has this level of ignorance and self interest.

E

By *ltra72Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck Good luck "

Thankyou

over a year ago

Can’t believe I’m reading this.

I’m double jabbed and only go to work and food shopping. I went out for a meal on Saturday night the first time in a year and I tested positive on Sunday. To say I’m pissed off is an understatement, watching the idiotic scenes during the euros and now with nightclubs reopening is crazy.

I want to return to normal as much as anyone but seems that the general public just aren’t responsible enough.

over a year ago

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"And people wonder how the virus spreads so readily

Yup......

18 months down the road, literally reams of information out there, and people still has this level of ignorance and self interest.

E"

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Quarantine, as this is what's needed to reduce infections and to prevent ourselves from being the cause of others' tragedies.

The UK nationally should have been picking up the bill for people who lost income. It's negligent that people are expected to pay heavily, when they have bills to pay, family to feed etc. It's atrocious and sets us apart from well managed countries with lower infection levels.

over a year ago

No I would not isolate. Take me to court and show me the evidence the government have medical/scientific on sars cov2(covid19) A question that's been asked to the government and PHE,Many times.. And guess what

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"No I would not isolate. Take me to court and show me the evidence the government have medical/scientific on sars cov2(covid19) A question that's been asked to the government and PHE,Many times.. And guess what "

Are you suggesting that covid doesn't exist?

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

It great that so many people are prepared to self isolate but how many of them continue to get full pay.

Notice how many public sector workers are quick to tell everybody else to self isolate when they get full pay if they get pinged. Those not lucky enough to be getting full pay for sitting at home for ten days have to survive on SSP which is impossible if you are repeated being are to self isolate it is quite literally destroying people's livelihoods and mental health now.

I will not judge anybody who is choosing not to self isolate when they get pinged anymore.

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

1. I dont have the Ap, never had and never will.

2. sick of doing the work of people who are 'self isolating' for the third or in one case 4th time ! (yes we get full pay if we are self isolating)

3. i want to know how many people that have been pinged have actually tested positive; i know at my place of work it is very very few.

Each to their own maybe i should just 'get pinged' and have a week or so off. No one is checking !!!

By *aye Dam BlueTV/TS
over a year ago

Dudley

100% agree,best thing if you have it uninstall it now

By *JCouple
over a year ago

Teesside

"1. I dont have the Ap, never had and never will.

2. sick of doing the work of people who are 'self isolating' for the third or in one case 4th time ! (yes we get full pay if we are self isolating)

3. i want to know how many people that have been pinged have actually tested positive; i know at my place of work it is very very few.

Each to their own maybe i should just 'get pinged' and have a week or so off. No one is checking !!! "

At any 1 time in the last month at least half our of 30 man team / department have been off self isolating.

It seems to be the same people as well with many coming back for 1 or 2 days before they get another ping / call to isolate again que a new block 10 days off (again on full pay).

What this has meant is its the same people who are constantly at working doing 2 peoples work loads and many are getting close to burn out with it.

Also i seems to be the careful ones who only go out to work, visit close relatives and shop online who are the ones not isolating, at work picking up the work of those isolating.

Those who are almost constantly isolating and back out to the pub as soon day 11 arrives and that's where the next ping / covid contact comes from!

KJ

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"It great that so many people are prepared to self isolate but how many of them continue to get full pay.

Notice how many public sector workers are quick to tell everybody else to self isolate when they get full pay if they get pinged. Those not lucky enough to be getting full pay for sitting at home for ten days have to survive on SSP which is impossible if you are repeated being are to self isolate it is quite literally destroying people's livelihoods and mental health now.

I will not judge anybody who is choosing not to self isolate when they get pinged anymore."

By *angler 321Man
over a year ago

Hereford

I don't have the app and never have done, but someone I work with tested positive last week, he put my name and details down on track and trace along with 5 others, we all got a call and were told to isolate for 10 days. I wasn't even close to him, the company wants us at work but can't go against the rules, so I've lost a full weeks pay because of it. It's all a total load of bollocks. Even if I'd of had a PCR test and it was negative, I'd of still had to isolate. That's the last penny I lose because of this covid bullshit!!

Can you tell I'm annoyed! Lol

over a year ago

Sorry, deleted the app. Double vaccinated, still wear a mask wherever I go. That’s enough for me.

By *harlotteBigBoobsWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I removed the app as people isolating and nothing wrong with them. Also i work in food industry so was i no longer have to isolate

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

"I don't have the app and never have done, but someone I work with tested positive last week, he put my name and details down on track and trace along with 5 others, we all got a call and were told to isolate for 10 days. I wasn't even close to him, the company wants us at work but can't go against the rules, so I've lost a full weeks pay because of it. It's all a total load of bollocks. Even if I'd of had a PCR test and it was negative, I'd of still had to isolate. That's the last penny I lose because of this covid bullshit!!

Can you tell I'm annoyed! Lol "

Quite rightly too; so if someone tells them they have been near you even if they have not; they tell you to self isolate ? There is a real chance for malicious folks to piss off their whole office / shop by naming everyone in the place - Surely this cant be correct (but then why does this not surprise me).

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

"No I would not isolate. Take me to court and show me the evidence the government have medical/scientific on sars cov2(covid19) A question that's been asked to the government and PHE,Many times.. And guess what

Are you suggesting that covid doesn't exist?"

I think he really is.......

E

over a year ago

Precisely. The app is rubbish, not fit for it's purpose despite the massive cost to us tax payers. We all know it's rubbish but they wind admit it.. just delete the thing and get your jabs

By *ammskiMan
over a year ago

lytham st.annes

Just deleted it,every time I tried to get into it,nothing,not working

over a year ago

Never had the app, and blocked the number they can text/call you from. Also given fake details on all the pup sign in things, plus after a few beers funny names starts to become hilarious... do I feel bad, not at all.

The system was a joke from the start.

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

People who care about others isolate.

People who don’t give a damn and think they’re above the rest of us delete the app or just ignore it. It’s selfish behaviour when tons of people have done it, suffered the lock down and done it to contribute. So many awful people

By *ustforfun49Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

I thought you had to get paid if you are of work because of covid.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

I’ll be honest and say that if I got pinged I’d isolate from friends, family, gym etc etc. But I’m still going to work. I don’t see why I should effectively be billed for catching a virus.

I thought you had to get paid if you are of work because of covid. "

Who does ?

By *ustforfun49Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

What about people who as not got a phone to download the app I bet there are hundreds of people who have not got smart phones.

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"People who care about others isolate.

People who don’t give a damn and think they’re above the rest of us delete the app or just ignore it. It’s selfish behaviour when tons of people have done it, suffered the lock down and done it to contribute. So many awful people "

People who get paid while they self isolate.

Self isolate.

People that don't get paid to self isolate .

Don't isolate.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge ffs.

By *ustforfun49Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

Who does ?"

Everyone the government said so months ago.

over a year ago

"People who care about others isolate.

People who don’t give a damn and think they’re above the rest of us delete the app or just ignore it. It’s selfish behaviour when tons of people have done it, suffered the lock down and done it to contribute. So many awful people

People who get paid while they self isolate.

Self isolate.

People that don't get paid to self isolate .

Don't isolate.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge ffs."

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Can’t believe I’m reading this.

I’m double jabbed and only go to work and food shopping. I went out for a meal on Saturday night the first time in a year and I tested positive on Sunday. To say I’m pissed off is an understatement, watching the idiotic scenes during the euros and now with nightclubs reopening is crazy.

I want to return to normal as much as anyone but seems that the general public just aren’t responsible enough. "

The incubation period of COVID-19 is longer than 24hrs (more like 3-5 days, on average) so it's pretty much impossible to have caught it on Saturday night, then felt ill and tested positive the next day. I'd look at your movements between Tuesday and Thursday before the Sunday. Anywhere other than your own home, on your own, is a potential source e.g another household member could have been asymptomatic etc.

over a year ago

Omg so many selfish people ??

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Who does ?

Everyone the government said so months ago. "

But you don't unless you are public sector.

over a year ago

"Back 8n January when cases was at highest. Why was there no pingdemic "

Well typed ....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Back 8n January when cases was at highest. Why was there no pingdemic "

There was. My work was pretty much decimated. That's why we went back in to lockdown. We will go back in to lockdown in September once virus and his cronies come back from their holidays. It's just no one was witty enough back then to come up with the word pingdemic back then.

By *AURA6969TV/TS
over a year ago

RUGBY

I'm doing it now got 7 days left but as a pensioner it doesn't affect me. But I'd still do it if working it's only safe thing to do.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I thought you had to get paid if you are of work because of covid. "

No the only legal requirement for employees is SSP. If you are self employed or contractor it is effectively nothing.

By *AURA6969TV/TS
over a year ago

RUGBY

"I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck "
you don't get pinged to say that you're positive only that you have been in contact with a positive person.

over a year ago

"Yes. Until my PCR tests results as per my works instructions "

Same, I would and PCR then go with the results of that

By *isoCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck you don't get pinged to say that you're positive only that you have been in contact with a positive person. "

Don't burst his bubble lol

over a year ago

Yes because I get paid in full

By *rincess PhoenixWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

That's brilliant I'm glad but I would say he had a mild case.

My point that your missing is people are experiencing long term issues that can be debilitating even from mild to moderate cases.

Some people don't realise until much later.

To put it bluntly it's a cunt of a virus."

I agree with you, I had it quite badly last year and would happily have flu rather than go through that again! The long term effects are a bastard too just feeling drained 95% of the time

By *carlettxWoman
over a year ago

Essex

I’m very confused with this ‘pinging’ and self isolating

I’m someone that has worked the whole way through (private sector) and yes I mix with members of the public

My question is , if all these people I hear about are getting pinged and having to self isolate fo they have to actually prove they have been pinged to their employer? Or is this open to shirkers fancying a little time off ?

Question being asked purely from a business sense as I’m lucky enough to never to have had to self isolate and don’t know anyone that has ?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I’m very confused with this ‘pinging’ and self isolating

I’m someone that has worked the whole way through (private sector) and yes I mix with members of the public

My question is , if all these people I hear about are getting pinged and having to self isolate fo they have to actually prove they have been pinged to their employer? Or is this open to shirkers fancying a little time off ?

Question being asked purely from a business sense as I’m lucky enough to never to have had to self isolate and don’t know anyone that has ?

"

Yes. Where I work you need to send evidence that you have been advised to self Isolate.

over a year ago

Yes id isolate ..to protect myself and others,like a few on here ive continued to work right through the pandemic

By *rincess PhoenixWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

I would isolate if I get pinged as I can't risk taking covid into my workplace because it would spread like wildfire in that environment

By *exy_HornyCouple
over a year ago

Leigh

Can't be pinged. Don't have, never had, and won't be getting the app.

By *ewcouplemidsCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Can't be pinged. Don't have, never had, and won't be getting the app."

Don't need the app for them to ping you can be done if you have to leave contact details at a bar or restaurant or from passenger locater form needed for travel

You are contacted via text or email

Just found this out after a holiday to Spain locater form has been used to contact us

Both tested negative yesterday day 8 of return but still told need to finish 10 days

By *exy_HornyCouple
over a year ago

Leigh

"Can't be pinged. Don't have, never had, and won't be getting the app.

Don't need the app for them to ping you can be done if you have to leave contact details at a bar or restaurant or from passenger locater form needed for travel

You are contacted via text or email

Just found this out after a holiday to Spain locater form has been used to contact us

Both tested negative yesterday day 8 of return but still told need to finish 10 days"

That is track and trace. It is different to the app.

Still unlikely to affect us as we don't eat out or go to the pub. Moved our ferry tickets (should have been in France today) so that doesn't apply either.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Being pinged doesn't mean you've caught Covid.

You're now going to work and potentially going to get everyone you work with pinged.

And people are scratching their heads and wondering why we're in such a mess...

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Being pinged doesn't mean you've caught Covid.

You're now going to work and potentially going to get everyone you work with pinged.

And people are scratching their heads and wondering why we're in such a mess...

"

Exactly.

over a year ago

manchester

Never thought I’d see the day there was something more controversial than receiving a call from the clap clinic after a one night stand

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"Never thought I’d see the day there was something more controversial than receiving a call from the clap clinic after a one night stand "

That properly made me laugh

By *oistknickersCouple
over a year ago

London

One of our family was pinged to isolate on Thursday, and because of the knock on we’ve had to cancel our week in Cap dAdge we should be on our way there now.

Cancelled accommodation, flights, car hire, tests, this was the only possibility for us to do this holiday this year and it’s gone.

I feel like a mug for sticking to the rules because I know that those who set the rules don’t even think twice about ignoring rules, I’m a mug.

over a year ago

"One of our family was pinged to isolate on Thursday, and because of the knock on we’ve had to cancel our week in Cap dAdge we should be on our way there now.

Cancelled accommodation, flights, car hire, tests, this was the only possibility for us to do this holiday this year and it’s gone.

I feel like a mug for sticking to the rules because I know that those who set the rules don’t even think twice about ignoring rules, I’m a mug. "

You’re not a mug, you’re doing what you think is best.

Lots wouldn’t have done that, including me if I’m honest. Purely because the system is so flawed.

My neighbours went to a restaurant together, she gave her details in (only one person had to) and got pinged.

They called the helpline and were told that only she had to isolate, not her husband that she went with, as he wasn’t pinged!!! So off he went to work and she stayed home! Heard so many stories like that, it’s a farce,

Sorry about your trip

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"One of our family was pinged to isolate on Thursday, and because of the knock on we’ve had to cancel our week in Cap dAdge we should be on our way there now.

I feel like a mug for sticking to the rules because I know that those who set the rules don’t even think twice about ignoring rules, I’m a mug.

Lots wouldn’t have done that, including me if I’m honest. Purely because the system is so flawed.

My neighbours went to a restaurant together, she gave her details in (only one person had to) and got pinged.

They called the helpline and were told that only she had to isolate, not her husband that she went with, as he wasn’t pinged!!! So off he went to work and she stayed home! Heard so many stories like that, it’s a farce,

Sorry about your trip "

Exactly I am the one who always logs in or gives details when we go out because I am in the lucky situation of working from home so it makes no difference to me if I am pinged. It is farcical that only I will have to isolate if ever pinged.

over a year ago

Sorry about your trip

Exactly I am the one who always logs in or gives details when we go out because I am in the lucky situation of working from home so it makes no difference to me if I am pinged. It is farcical that only I will have to isolate if ever pinged."

Exactly!! It’s completely nonsensical and that’s why I (and many others) won’t do it. I’ve been tested frequently for work and that’s good enough for me

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

If you get pinged by the app you have no legal obligation to isolate, if track and trace call you then you have to obey that.

No one has to have the app no one has to have a smart phone capable of downloading it.

If you get pinged then get a test, if its clear get on with life if its positive then isolate (maybe too simplistic a view ?)

over a year ago

"If you get pinged by the app you have no legal obligation to isolate, if track and trace call you then you have to obey that.

No one has to have the app no one has to have a smart phone capable of downloading it.

If you get pinged then get a test, if its clear get on with life if its positive then isolate (maybe too simplistic a view ?)"

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Peoples self interest remain if finance isn't in place. They will isolate if they can afford to. As far as I am aware historically, a majority have only had a couple of months savings due to debt, overdrafts, mortgages and credit card spending.

It give reason why so much has been paid off during lockdown. Not because of isolating, but because people reshaped their spending habits.

Everyone likes a day off work, if paid. If it were paid, the app would get downloaded by everyone and everyone would stick to the full amount of time to isolate.

over a year ago

w

"Op how would you feel if you caught covid from someone at work who should have been isolating and you become seriously ill and pass it onto to family?"

The same as if I caught it anywhere. That guys gotta provide for his family. I can’t blame him

over a year ago

manchester

I think the threads answered the question really hasn’t it.

Those that get paid will sit and preach that everyone should.

Those that don’t get paid and can’t pay their bills have no other choice but to go to work…. The latter can be judged all the ‘paid brigade’ like but the reality is would they miss their bill payments if they were living hand-to-mouth lifestyle that some in the country have to? If they were a single parent? Etc etc.

Some of our fellow man, as good as their hearts may be, aren’t as fortunate as others and I myself have, in the past, been in situations where I’ve made choices I haven’t liked to get by. Fortunately now I’m very privileged to be more than comfortable and COULD miss a weeks wage but it hasn’t always been that way

It’s not as black and white as ‘oh you’re so selfish. Think of the fellow man’ when realistically the ones lacking in empathy are those pointing the finger.

We don’t know what goes on behind anyone’s closed doors or what battles they are fighting.

I’m sure NOBODY would just not isolate out of ‘I love going to work, me’ but the privilege of being able to do the right thing isn’t always there.

over a year ago

w

Pay me to isolate, and I’ll do it.

No payment? Sorry everyone but I’ve gotta earn a living. I’ve no idea how long this is gonna last. Am I gonna get pinged and take an 8 day wage cut multiple times a year?

Fuck that. I’m going out there and earning. I’ll wear a mask, I’ll get vaccinated, I’ll do whatever. But I’m not sitting at home earning nothing because the government told me to. I did enough of that last year. Not again

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I think the threads answered the question really hasn’t it.

Those that get paid will sit and preach that everyone should.

Those that don’t get paid and can’t pay their bills have no other choice but to go to work…. The latter can be judged all the ‘paid brigade’ like but the reality is would they miss their bill payments if they were living hand-to-mouth lifestyle that some in the country have to? If they were a single parent? Etc etc.

Some of our fellow man, as good as their hearts may be, aren’t as fortunate as others and I myself have, in the past, been in situations where I’ve made choices I haven’t liked to get by. Fortunately now I’m very privileged to be more than comfortable and COULD miss a weeks wage but it hasn’t always been that way

It’s not as black and white as ‘oh you’re so selfish. Think of the fellow man’ when realistically the ones lacking in empathy are those pointing the finger.

We don’t know what goes on behind anyone’s closed doors or what battles they are fighting.

I’m sure NOBODY would just not isolate out of ‘I love going to work, me’ but the privilege of being able to do the right thing isn’t always there. "

Since the end of February last year I've worked less than 4 months.

My overdraft is scary, I'm months behind with the mortgage and other bills.

I'd still isolate. Although with no job I don't have much to isolate from.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Pay me to isolate, and I’ll do it.

No payment? Sorry everyone but I’ve gotta earn a living. I’ve no idea how long this is gonna last. Am I gonna get pinged and take an 8 day wage cut multiple times a year?

Fuck that. I’m going out there and earning. I’ll wear a mask, I’ll get vaccinated, I’ll do whatever. But I’m not sitting at home earning nothing because the government told me to. I did enough of that last year. Not again "

I agree. People should be supported to isolate.

By *69meMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Never installed the app in the first place so won't get pinged.

It's too open to abuse. Bluetooth works in a 5 metre radius (and I'm sure that some more modern devices work in a 10 meter radius). Bluetooth CANNOT work out the distance between devices: never has and never will be able to. It also works through walls.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

The circle line and the Hammersmith and city line have been closed by TFL for the weekend after 300 staff were pinged and told to self isolate.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I work for a trade union. Two members I've dealt with have been dismissed for gross misconduct because they went to work knowing they had covid, thus putting colleagues at risk and shutting down the business for 10 days. Plus the added expense of deep cleaning.

You are aware of the danger so wouldn't expose YOUR family, but your colleagues...they don't count. Gotcha!

over a year ago

Wow. What a selfish attitude. So you would quite happily go to work and possibly allow work colleagues or other people have the opportunity of catching Covid from you. Rather then lose 10 days of pay. Hate to think where that could lead. I understand what you are saying but you have to think of the bigger picture. They are not asking you to self isolate because it's trendy ffs. There is a reason behind it.

over a year ago

Does not make it right though. So many selfish attitudes on this thread. Unbelievable

By *ary_JosephCouple
over a year ago

South Shields

Unfortunately you can. I was contacted as I had filled in a Passenger Locator form while flying home from work. Even though I tested negative, I had to do my 10 days isolation.

Also one of my work colleagues was contacted by track and trace as another colleague tested positive and gave the names and contact details of all people he had been in contact with. Luckily he tested negative as well, but again, 10 days isolation. All of this without the app as well.

The bugger of it is, if Track and trace contact you, it's against the law not to isolate, but if you're pinged by the app, it's only advisory...or so I'm led to believe.

over a year ago

"If you don't have the app you can't be pinged

Unfortunately you can. I was contacted as I had filled in a Passenger Locator form while flying home from work. Even though I tested negative, I had to do my 10 days isolation.

Also one of my work colleagues was contacted by track and trace as another colleague tested positive and gave the names and contact details of all people he had been in contact with. Luckily he tested negative as well, but again, 10 days isolation. All of this without the app as well.

The bugger of it is, if Track and trace contact you, it's against the law not to isolate, but if you're pinged by the app, it's only advisory...or so I'm led to believe."

I never knew this. However it makes sense as it's a fool proof way of checking up on people who choose to try and beat the system. Fair play.

By *irtyduckers69Couple
over a year ago

Dorset & Torbay

Yes I would absolutely. But I wouldn't face the prospect of not being paid so don't know how that would affect my decision.

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I work for a trade union. Two members I've dealt with have been dismissed for gross misconduct because they went to work knowing they had covid, thus putting colleagues at risk and shutting down the business for 10 days. Plus the added expense of deep cleaning.

You are aware of the danger so wouldn't expose YOUR family, but your colleagues...they don't count. Gotcha!

"

I dont think the question was would you go to work knowing you had covid, it was would you self isolate if you get pinged for me and in my opinion the two things are a million miles apart.

If you get pinged you should be told to get tested positive stay off (no one would need telling that surely); negative - work and earn money.

Sorry but i work in a place where you get paid if you are self isolating It is being abused by some and the rest of us are doing their work

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I had to self isolate a few weeks ago. I’m in Scotland and trace and protect sent a text message so I wasn’t pinged through the app. My pal ended up in hospital with covid. I was able to self isolate and still work from home anyway so it really made no difference to me.

It seems unfair that if people are pinged that they are effectively being penalised for someone else’s actions.

It’s affecting businesses due to the numbers involved. Seems odd that people are being pinged now in high numbers.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

My company are currently 100% WFH so isolation would not impact anyone financially.

However, someone who I would have classed as very very responsible and rule abiding admitted to me the other day that, because they had a celebration dinner booked in a restaurant in a few days time that they desperately wanted to attend, they switched off bluetooth for the week before and faked logging onto the app (via QR) when they went anywhere.

Based on that (and the kind of person they are) then I would say Test & Trace is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

By *enhamhoopMan
over a year ago

Denham

"I don't have the app and never have done, but someone I work with tested positive last week, he put my name and details down on track and trace along with 5 others, we all got a call and were told to isolate for 10 days. I wasn't even close to him, the company wants us at work but can't go against the rules, so I've lost a full weeks pay because of it. It's all a total load of bollocks. Even if I'd of had a PCR test and it was negative, I'd of still had to isolate. That's the last penny I lose because of this covid bullshit!!

Can you tell I'm annoyed! Lol

Quite rightly too; so if someone tells them they have been near you even if they have not; they tell you to self isolate ? There is a real chance for malicious folks to piss off their whole office / shop by naming everyone in the place - Surely this cant be correct (but then why does this not surprise me)."

It works the other way round where if they don't like you they can omit to name you

By *enhamhoopMan
over a year ago

Denham

I got pinged on the Saturday 2 weeks ago because apparently I had been in close contact with someone on the Monday(Must have been on a bus as I didn't spend more than 5 minutes in any shop I visited that day.

So had 4 days off work am extremely tempted to delete the app now as not sure I can afford more time off from work

By *bfibMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Yes isolate. I've had to about 10 times. I caught it after having two jabs too. This only works if people follow through.

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

"My company are currently 100% WFH so isolation would not impact anyone financially.

However, someone who I would have classed as very very responsible and rule abiding admitted to me the other day that, because they had a celebration dinner booked in a restaurant in a few days time that they desperately wanted to attend, they switched off bluetooth for the week before and faked logging onto the app (via QR) when they went anywhere.

Based on that (and the kind of person they are) then I would say Test & Trace is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot."

I was still contacted by text as my friend who was in hospital had to give the contact details of everyone she was with. Track and Protect contacted her. It doesn’t just rely upon the app to notify people in Scotland anyway.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Does not make it right though. So many selfish attitudes on this thread. Unbelievable"

Now answer this question if you have to isolate do you get full pay.

If I get pinged I get full pay as I would just continue to work from home so yes I would self isolate but ask yourself this would you self isolate if for doing so your pay would drop to £96.35 per week. For some this is happening multiple times and causing real hardship, our firm can't afford to pay them whilst they are off as turnover has drop by 50% and a third of the workforce has been made redundant. They are not selfish they are having to make difficult decision for the good of themselves and their families.

Don't get me started on the poor parents who are constantly having to stop work because their children have been sent home yet again because one child in the class coughed once too often.

By *oroRick1027Man
over a year ago

The Boro

I've self isolated 3 times in the last year. I've had to use 12 days of my holiday entitlement as I can't afford to live on SSP.

To answer the original question, I am now double jabbed and I take lateral flow tests twice a week, so no I would not self isolate.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

york

Does not make it right though. So many selfish attitudes on this thread. Unbelievable

Now answer this question if you have to isolate do you get full pay.

If I get pinged I get full pay as I would just continue to work from home so yes I would self isolate but ask yourself this would you self isolate if for doing so your pay would drop to £96.35 per week. For some this is happening multiple times and causing real hardship, our firm can't afford to pay them whilst they are off as turnover has drop by 50% and a third of the workforce has been made redundant. They are not selfish they are having to make difficult decision for the good of themselves and their families.

Don't get me started on the poor parents who are constantly having to stop work because their children have been sent home yet again because one child in the class coughed once too often."

Utmost sympathy for this, and this has been a major failure in gov strategy which has caused us to fall ever deeper into the covid hole.

IMHO if very early in pandemic gov had (1) controlled borders with proper quarantine, and (2) encouraged self isolation of the then comparitively small number of cases by proper gov funded sick pay for ALL that needed it; then lockdowns would only ever have been needed in small targeted areas. Economy could have mostly continued with slight impact, certainly nothing like damage that has been done by extended and unsuccessful half-hearted full country lockdowns. Public life could have been mostly normal over the last 18 months. Even if some small percent of population abused easy access to covid compensation by deliberate infection to get sick pay, total cost would only have been tiny fraction of furlough scheme.

We could now be in position of having almost completed a full vaccination programme, with only very tiny covid case numbers, and country prosperous instead of bankrupt.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"

Utmost sympathy for this, and this has been a major failure in gov strategy which has caused us to fall ever deeper into the covid hole.

IMHO if very early in pandemic gov had (1) controlled borders with proper quarantine, and (2) encouraged self isolation of the then comparitively small number of cases by proper gov funded sick pay for ALL that needed it; then lockdowns would only ever have been needed in small targeted areas. Economy could have mostly continued with slight impact, certainly nothing like damage that has been done by extended and unsuccessful half-hearted full country lockdowns. Public life could have been mostly normal over the last 18 months. Even if some small percent of population abused easy access to covid compensation by deliberate infection to get sick pay, total cost would only have been tiny fraction of furlough scheme.

We could now be in position of having almost completed a full vaccination programme, with only very tiny covid case numbers, and country prosperous instead of bankrupt."

Some of what you say I agree with. The one major one I disagree with is that this pandemic would still have crippled the economy. Australia did much of what you suggest and are now facing an economy on its knees if they can't open their borders in the next few months. Unfortunately for them they are not expecting to reopen until at least 2022 and more frightening for them a doomsday scenario of 2023.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes but only because I work with very vulnerable people.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

We could now be in position of having almost completed a full vaccination programme, with only very tiny covid case numbers, and country prosperous instead of bankrupt.

Some of what you say I agree with. The one major one I disagree with is that this pandemic would still have crippled the economy. Australia did much of what you suggest and are now facing an economy on its knees if they can't open their borders in the next few months. Unfortunately for them they are not expecting to reopen until at least 2022 and more frightening for them a doomsday scenario of 2023."

Hmm. I'm not sure the Australian Bureau of Statistics would agree with your grim assessment. It's come with costs, of course, but if the Australian economy is on its knees, I suspect most Western nations have economies which are hung, drawn, quartered, and have nothing left for even desperate vultures.

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/one-year-covid-19-aussie-jobs-business-and-economy

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"

Some of what you say I agree with. The one major one I disagree with is that this pandemic would still have crippled the economy. Australia did much of what you suggest and are now facing an economy on its knees if they can't open their borders in the next few months. Unfortunately for them they are not expecting to reopen until at least 2022 and more frightening for them a doomsday scenario of 2023.

Hmm. I'm not sure the Australian Bureau of Statistics would agree with your grim assessment. It's come with costs, of course, but if the Australian economy is on its knees, I suspect most Western nations have economies which are hung, drawn, quartered, and have nothing left for even desperate vultures.

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/one-year-covid-19-aussie-jobs-business-and-economy"

Some of their problems are down to the very very slow vaccine take up which is resulting in them not being able to open their borders. The grim stats came from their govt a few days ago when the opposition was demanding the government apologies for the mistakes it has made in the handling of the pandemic (can you imagine) they are realistically facing a timeframe of 2023 and the cost is rising every month. The recent protest shows that even in Australia where the measures were overwhelming supported they have now started to splinter.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/one-year-covid-19-aussie-jobs-business-and-economy

Some of their problems are down to the very very slow vaccine take up which is resulting in them not being able to open their borders. The grim stats came from their govt a few days ago when the opposition was demanding the government apologies for the mistakes it has made in the handling of the pandemic (can you imagine) they are realistically facing a timeframe of 2023 and the cost is rising every month. The recent protest shows that even in Australia where the measures were overwhelming supported they have now started to splinter."

Morrison fucked up the vaccine purchases. That's obvious. There's no TGA recommended vaccine to roll out to the under 60s

A few thousand boofheads (to use the word of the NSW health minister) in a city the size of Sydney (5.3 million) doesn't prove much. Morons exist in all nations

By *ltra72Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"I’ve just been pinged saying I’m positive, wish me luck you don't get pinged to say that you're positive only that you have been in contact with a positive person. "

Sorry

By *moothshaftMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Didn't even bother downloading the app.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

I don't have the app, if I get symptoms I would gladly test and isolate.

By *couseratMan
over a year ago

Eastbourne

I would, as work have told us we can work from home.

over a year ago

Friend of mine is purposely giving his phone to his wife to increase the chances of being pinged so he doesnt have to go In to work

I wonder how many else are trying the same?

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

In most places you’d need to check in, if you don’t have the app you can’t go in to them anyway. So you’re less likely to be pinged regardless

over a year ago

In most places you’d need to check in, if you don’t have the app you can’t go in to them anyway. So you’re less likely to be pinged regardless"

I can't get apps on my 3310, so i just walk in....

over a year ago

In most places you’d need to check in, if you don’t have the app you can’t go in to them anyway. So you’re less likely to be pinged regardless"

I've not got the app and I've never been refused entry to anywhere. Are they really strict where you are?

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

In most places you’d need to check in, if you don’t have the app you can’t go in to them anyway. So you’re less likely to be pinged regardless

I can't get apps on my 3310, so i just walk in...."

I’m actually almost 100% certain the 3310 is so tough, anyone holding it cannot in fact, get Covid.

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

I've not got the app and I've never been refused entry to anywhere. Are they really strict where you are? "

They should be… that’s the whole point. To just walk on means those staff members aren’t doing their job properly

By *luttyLaylaWoman
over a year ago

North West

I've not got the app and I've never been refused entry to anywhere. Are they really strict where you are?

They should be… that’s the whole point. To just walk on means those staff members aren’t doing their job properly "

You can just give your name and telephone number instead of the app in most places.

Never been refused entry anywhere and always done that

Post new Message to Thread